Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Historical Markers in Indiana

1628 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 201 through 401 are listed. Previous 200 Next 1228
 
Obverse Side - - Decatur County Court House Marker image, Touch for more information
By Courtesy:: Marilyn S. Wolf, July 17, 2011
Obverse Side - - Decatur County Court House Marker
Indiana (Decatur County), Greensburg — 16.1980.1 — Decatur County Court House
Site of the original court house built in 1827 and occupied until 1854. Present building completed in 1860. Large tooth aspen tree appeared in 1870 on the roof of the 115 foot clock tower. In July, 1863, it became a temporary armory while troops . . . — Map (db m44757) HM
Indiana (Decatur County), Greensburg — 16.2007.1 — Donnell -V.- State, 1852
Side one: Luther Donnell was convicted in Decatur Circuit Court (1849) of aiding fugitive slaves, Caroline and her four children, to escape to Canada. In Donnell v. State, Indiana Supreme Court reversed the conviction, claiming that under . . . — Map (db m44752) HM
Indiana (Decatur County), Greensburg — 16.2008.1 — Escape of Caroline, 1847
Side one: Caroline and her four children escaped Kentucky slave owner October 31, 1847; they crossed Ohio River near Madison. After passing near here, Fugit Township black and white residents hid family close to Clarksburg. While hidden, . . . — Map (db m44743) HM
Indiana (Decatur County), Greensburg — Spanish American War Veterans
( Front Plaque ) ( Bronze “Crest” of the “Spanish War Veterans 1898 - 1902" ) ( Obverse Plaque ) ( Likeness of the Original Memorial ) Original Spanish American War Memorial On 24 August . . . — Map (db m44798) WM
Indiana (Decatur County), Greensburg — The Naegel Building
In 1893 Robert Naegel built this two-story structure featuring an elaborate metal facade that reflects a combination of Italianate and Queen Anne architecture. The Capital Finance Corporation was located here for nearly 40 years, beginning in the . . . — Map (db m44947) HM
Indiana (Decatur County), Westport — Westport Covered Bridge
A Single Span Burr Arch Bridge Built by A.M. Kennedy & Sons in 1880 Clear Span 111 ft. 6 in. Overall Length 130 ft. Entered on the National Register of Historic Places June 25, 1982 — Map (db m73979) HM
Indiana (DeKalb County), Auburn — "It All Started Here" — 1874
The Eckhart Carriage Company was established in 1874 in Auburn, Indiana. It was the direct ancestor of the Auburn Automobile Company as both were owned by the Eckhart family in the early days. This is the last remaining building of the . . . — Map (db m73297) HM
Indiana (DeKalb County), Auburn — 17.1992.1 — Auburn Automobile Company
Auburn Automobile Company (1900-1937) Art Deco Style Administration building, built 1929-1930. Housed departments of Cord Corporation, manufacturer of Auburn, Cord, and Duesenberg automobiles. Became Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg Museum, 1974; listed in . . . — Map (db m53934) HM
Indiana (DeKalb County), Auburn — DeKalb County Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to the Memory of DeKalb County Soldiers — Map (db m53948) HM
Indiana (DeKalb County), Auburn — Site Of Wesley Park's Home
On this site stood the log home of Wesley Park, co-founder with John Howe of the City of Auburn in 1836. Park's cabin was an important social and government center, serving as a tavern, resting place, and courthouse for early settlers and . . . — Map (db m60238) HM
Indiana (DeKalb County), Garrett — Creek Chub Bait Company
Side A In 1916, Henry Dills, Carl Heinzerling,and George Schulthess established the company, which became one of the country's leading manufacturers of artificial fishing lures. Crafted by a largely female workforce, the high quality lures . . . — Map (db m107129) HM
Indiana (DeKalb County), Spencerville — First Settlement in DeKalb County Indiana 1828
First Settlement in DeKalb County Indiana 1828 — Map (db m62801) HM
Indiana (DeKalb County), Spencerville — 17.1996.1 — Spencerville Covered Bridge
Built 1873, by John A. McKay, spanning Saint Joseph River; a Smith Truss, Variant Four, by Smith Bridge Company, Toledo, Ohio; has remained in use with regular maintenance, repairs, and extensive 1981 restoration. Listed in National Register of . . . — Map (db m52971) HM
Indiana (Delaware County), Eaton — 18.1981.1 — First Indiana Gas Well
The first significant commercial gas well came in Sept. 15, 1886, near here south of the Mississinewa River and East of the railroad, ushering in the gas boom era. Almeron H. Crannell, a Civil War veteran and later resident of Hartford City, drilled . . . — Map (db m63797) HM
Indiana (Delaware County), Gaston — 18.1996.2 — Slickville Tile Works
Site of production mill and three beehive kilns, first fueled by wood and then by natural gas, circa 1883-1910, owned & operated by Manassa Myers, Sr. family. Produced drainage tiles (hollow cylinder-shaped sections) from adjacent clay pit for local . . . — Map (db m63796) HM
Indiana (Delaware County), Muncie — 18.2008.1 — Ball Brothers Glass Manufacturing Company
Side - A Company incorporated in New York 1886 to manufacture glassware (particularly fruit jars). Brothers Edmund, Frank, George, William, and Lucius Ball all were trustees. Company - promised money, land, and free natural gas - came . . . — Map (db m31345) HM
Indiana (Delaware County), Muncie — 18.2011.1 — Hemingray Glass Company
Side A Founded as Gray & Hemingray in Cincinnati, Ohio in 1848. Incorporated 1870 in Covington, Kentucky; company produced glass bottles, jars, oil lamps, light globes, tableware and insulators. After discovery of natural gas in . . . — Map (db m65208) HM
Indiana (Delaware County), Muncie — 18.1996.1 — Shaffer Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Church
Structure, circa 1893, is Muncie's oldest standing public school building. Purchased by church congregation, circa 1928. Rallying point in August 1930 when bodies of two African-American men, lynched in Marion, were brought to Muncie for embalmment . . . — Map (db m31346) HM
Indiana (Delaware County), Muncie — World War I War Memorial — The Spirit of the American Doughboy
The Elizabeth Sears Memorial to Deceased Veterans of the World War 1917 - 18 — Map (db m31347) HM
Indiana (Dubois County), Jasper — Dubois County Civil War Memorial
( Battle Names - Around Top of Memorial ) Antietam • Chickamauga • Gettysburg • Vicksburg ( Front Panel ) Yield not to grief the tribute of a tear, But ‘neath the fore-front of a specious sky, Smile all exultant, as they . . . — Map (db m47458) WM
Indiana (Dubois County), Jasper — Dubois County Honor Roll Memorial
(( Left ‘Small Book’ )) ( Left ‘Page’ ) * * * Mexican War * * * James Green • Pleasant Horton • James McElvaine • Hiram Main • David L. Matthews • Joseph Orinder * * * Spanish American War * * * Jesse K. Stork . . . — Map (db m47497) WM
Indiana (Dubois County), Jasper — Site of First Court House - School
From 1830 until it burned in 1839, a log building on this site served as the first Court house in Jasper and as the first school, which was taught by Simon Morgan, the County Clerk. — Map (db m47410) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Benton — Jackson Cemetery — Cemetery Heritage
Jackson Cemetery Established 1827 A Historic Cemetery Listed in Indiana's Cemetery and Burial Grounds Registry of the Indiana Department of Natural Resources Installed 2005 Indiana Historical Bureau and William Tuffs Chapter . . . — Map (db m68575) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Benton — Site Of The First School House In Elkhart County
This stone marks the site of the first school house in Elkhart County built of oak logs in 1830 — Map (db m44809) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Bristol — Bonneyville Cemetery — Cemetery Heritage
Bonneyville Cemetery Established 1848 A Historic Cemetery Listed in Indiana's Cemetery and Burial Grounds Registry of the Indiana Department of Natural Resources Installed 2005 Indiana Historical Bureau and William Tuffs . . . — Map (db m68707) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Bristol — Cathcart Cemetery — Cemetery Heritage
Cathcart Cemetery Established circa 1834 A Historic Cemetery Listed in Indiana's Cemetery and Burial Grounds Registry of the Indiana Department of Natural Resources Installed 2005 Indiana Historical Bureau and William Tuffs . . . — Map (db m68706) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Bristol — Cathcart Memorial / Nicholson Memorial
(Side One) Buried in this cemetery were two soldiers. Befitting the honor due and so that future generations will always know this marker was dedicated July 4th 1956 by Charles W. Harker Post 143, American Legion, Bristol, Indiana. . . . — Map (db m68708) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Bristol — 20.2007.1 — Graves et al v. Indiana
Side One: In 1847, three Kentucky men tried to capture Thomas Harris, fugitive slave in Bristol; a justice of the peace ruling freed Harris, who fled. In 1848, the Elkhart Circuit Court convicted the three men of causing a riot in 1847. In . . . — Map (db m30744) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Bristol — Trout Creek Cemetery — Cemetery Heritage
Trout Creek Cemetery Established circa 1850 A Historic Cemetery Listed in Indiana's Cemetery and Burial Grounds Registry of the Indiana Department of Natural Resources Installed 2005 Indiana Historical Bureau and Elkhart . . . — Map (db m68638) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Bristol — William Tuffs Memorial
(Metal Tablet) In Memory of William Tuffs A member of The Boston Tea Party Erected by Improved Order of Redmen (Stone Tablet) William Tuffs Born June 11, 1750 Died September 5, 1847 Aged 97 Years His . . . — Map (db m68709) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — 20.1998.2 — Ambrose G. Bierce
Born in Ohio 1842; family moved to Kosciusko County, Indiana 1846. Bierce lived and worked in Elkhart 1860-1861. Union officer wounded in Civil War. Moved to California 1866; became nationally prominent as journalist, short story writer, and critic. . . . — Map (db m44852) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — Bucklen Opera House — 1884 - 1986 — Elkhart, Heritage of the City With a Heart
Bucklen Opera House 1884 - 1986 Main and Harrison Streets Commissioned by: Herbert E. Bucklen Architect: Unknown General Contractor: Unknown The Bucklen Opera House, built in 1884 on the northwest corner of Main and Harrison . . . — Map (db m64642) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — 20.2006.1 — C.G. Conn Company
Side One: Charles Gerard Conn began the musical instrument industry in Elkhart; city has been called the Band Industry Capital of the World. By 1874 producing rubber mouthpiece; was granted patent 1875; began producing musical . . . — Map (db m30747) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — 20.2009.1 — Charles Gordone
Born in Ohio, 1925, Gordone grew up in Elkhart and graduated from Elkhart High School in 1944. In the 1950s, he moved to New York City where he worked as an actor, director, and playwright. During the 1960s, he acted in the award-winning . . . — Map (db m32734) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — Development of Diagnostic Test Strips — Elkhart, Indiana - 1956
A Miles Laboratories research team led by Alfred and Helen Free developed the first diagnostic test strip, Clinistix(R), for detecting glucose in urine. Reagent-impregnated strips changed color based on the concentration of glucose. This . . . — Map (db m64643) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — 20.2007.2 — Dr. Franklin L. Miles
Side one: Born circa 1845 in Ohio. Graduated from Rush Medical College 1874. Moved medical practice from Chicago to Elkhart 1875. Began The Dr. Miles Medical Company 1885 to sell Dr. Miles' Nervine, Restorative Nerve and Liver pills, and . . . — Map (db m44877) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — 20.2006.2 — E. Hill Turnock
(Side one): Added many buildings to the architectural significance of Elkhart, Goshen, and Nappanee. Born mid-1850s in England; his family moved to Elkhart early 1870s. In mid-1880s he moved to Chicago; worked until 1890 with architect . . . — Map (db m32728) HM
Indiana (Elkhart county), Elkhart — Elkhart Carnegie Public Library — 1903 - 1963 — Elkhart, Heritage of the City With a Heart
Elkhart Carnegie Public Library 1903-1963 Second and High Streets Local Financial Supporters: A.H. Beardsley, G.B. Pratt, Sr. And the City of Elkhart Head Librarian: Katherine Sage In February 1901, backed by a promise from . . . — Map (db m75445) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — Elkhart Civil War Monument
(Front (West) Panel) Erected A.D. 1909, by the Ex-Soldiers and Sailors Association Elkhart Indiana To the memory of our departed heroes of the Union Army. Their services to a grateful country were gallant and self sacrificing. May . . . — Map (db m76220) WM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — Elkhart County Revolutionary Soldiers Memorial
Erected by The William Tuffs Chapter National Society Daughters of the American Revolution In Honor of the Revolutionary Soldiers Buried in Elkhart County William Tuffs • Walter Denny • John Proctor • Jacob Leer • John R. . . . — Map (db m75444) WM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — Elkhart High School — 1910 - 1972 — Elkhart, Heritage of the City With a Heart
Elkhart High School 1910-1972 Second and High Streets Architect: E. Hill Turnock Superintendent: E.H. Drake Principal: S.B. McCracken Elkhart High School was designed and built to match the existing Central School Building . . . — Map (db m75446) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — Elkhart River Old Indian Trail
The old Indian trail which followed the Elkhart River, turned here to the northwest, and connected the “Miamis Fort” with “Fort St. Joseph”. From the time of the French and Indian War in 1755 to 1763, up to the . . . — Map (db m76258) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — Elkhart River Wharves
East from this point, along the "Elkheart" River were located the wharves where produce and merchandise to and from the village of "Elkheart", 1835 to 1851, was carried by Keel and Steamboat. — Map (db m61185) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — Havilah Beardsley — 1795 – 1856
In Honor of Havilah Beardsley. 1795 – 1856 First physician of this township who purchased Section five of the Indians in 1829, and in 1832 laid out the original plat of Elkhart. Built the first saw mill in 1831; the first flour . . . — Map (db m73147) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — Island Park
Island Park was given to the City of Elkhart in the Year 1887 by James Rufus Beardsley It has been passed down through early Indian legions that the form of this island resembled an elk's heart - it is very probable, that from this source . . . — Map (db m69774) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — Lou Criger
This memorial is dedicated to the life of Lou Criger Born in Elkhart, Ind., Feb. 6, 1872 to Charles J. and Lovina Stutsman Criger, the city's first major leaguer was known as one of the best catchers of his day and caught most of Cy Young's . . . — Map (db m67096) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — Main St. Memorial Bridge
Main St. Memorial Bridge 1917   • Dedicated •   1918 To the Sons of Elkhart County Who Died in the World War Fravel Edward Alleman • Charles O. Anderson • Eugene J. Badina • John H. Berkey • Fred Leroy Bloom • Merrill Charles Bloss • . . . — Map (db m73150) WM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — Ruthmere — 1908
Erected by Albert R. Beardsley Placed on the National Register of Historic Places November 28, 1978 by the United States Department of the Interior in cooperation with the Indiana Department of Natural Resources Division of Historic . . . — Map (db m76259) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — Silas Baldwin Civil War Memorial
(Top Front Panel) Lieut. Frank Baldwin Killed in battle at Stone River December 31st, 1862. Aged 18 yrs. (Bottom Front Panel) Erected by Silas Baldwin in honor of the heroes who fought and the martyrs who fell in the . . . — Map (db m76256) WM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — The Havilah Beardsley House
The Havilah Beardsley House 102 West Beardsley Avenue has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior 1848 — Map (db m76261) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — The History of Boot Lake
An Icy Beginning Millions of years ago Elkhart was covered by glaciers. The Glaciers moved south, eroding the land collecting glacial drift. 9,000 BC The glaciers eventually began to retreat north, leaving behind their glacial . . . — Map (db m68532) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — The Rivers and the Native Americans — Our Rivers' Story
The Early Inhabitants of the Valley Centuries before the area was settled by whites, at least two different native tribes inhabited the St Joseph Valley. The Miami The Miami were the first recorded tribe known to have lived in . . . — Map (db m69777) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — The Rivers for Industry — Our Rivers' Story
The Hydraulics      Elkhart's early development as an industrial city can be attributed to its proximity to several waterways. Before the advent of electric power, the early industry pioneers harnessed the power of the river flow to . . . — Map (db m69752) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — The Rivers for Recreation — Our Rivers' Story
Island Park      The island formed by the confluence of the Elkhart and St. Joseph Rivers could be said to be the birthplace of our community. According to folklore, the Native Americans living in the area named the Elkhart River, . . . — Map (db m69775) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — Trooper Richard T. Gaston, PE# 6679
Born 1 December 1969 Killed in the line of duty on the Indiana Toll Road St. Joseph County 4 March 1999 Served the Indiana State Police from 13 December 1998 to 4 March 1999 — Map (db m88601) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — Village of Pulaski
Pulaski post office established here 1829. Fort Wayne Road, to Chicago-Detroit Road and Niles, forded the river at this point. Village of Elkhart was laid out in 1832 and post office name changed to Elkhart in 1839. — Map (db m69729) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Goshen — A History of the Winona — Winona Railway Trail
In the early 1900's, Indiana had more miles of electric train lines than any other state in the United States. The lines blossomed primarily at Indianapolis, radiating out to transport people and goods to and from the bustling city. Indianapolis . . . — Map (db m74203) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Goshen — A History of the Winona / Bethany Christian Schools — Winona Railway Trail
(Side One) A History of the Winona In the early 1900's, Indiana had more miles of electric train lines than any other state in the United States. The lines blossomed primarily at Indianapolis, radiating out to transport people . . . — Map (db m70504) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Goshen — 20.1997.1 — A. E. Kunderd Gladiolus Farm
Amos E. Kunderd (1866 - 1965) owned and resided on a 100-acre farm on this site. Respected internationally for hybridization of varieties of gladioli which were exhibited, and grown in gardens, throughout the world. Originated the ruffled and . . . — Map (db m30161) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Goshen — Buffalo & Mississippi Railroad — Pumpkinvine Nature Trail
On February 21st, 1837, the Buffalo & Mississippi Railroad first met in South Bend, Indiana to discuss the development of a rail system that would connect the county seats between Chicago, Illinois and Toledo, Ohio. After the State of Indiana denied . . . — Map (db m72700) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Goshen — 20.2001.2 — Elkhart County Courthouse
Side 1: Elkhart County was formed by the Indiana General Assembly 1830; the first county seat was located in Concord Township. County commissioners relocated the county seat to Goshen 1831. Jacob Studebaker, Goshen, designed first brick . . . — Map (db m30157) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Goshen — Elkhart County Courthouse — Millrace Canal Trail
Considered to be one of the most attractive county buildings in the State of Indiana, the Elkhart County Courthouse is also one of the oldest buildings in Goshen. The original courthouse was built in 1831 by Jacob Studebaker, who (it is said) walked . . . — Map (db m64233) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Goshen — Elkhart County Home Cemetery — Cemetery Heritage
Elkhart County Home Cemetery Established 1887 A Historic Cemetery listed in Indiana's Cemetery and Burial Grounds Registry of the Indiana Department of Natural Resources Installed 2004 Indiana Historical Bureau, Elkhart . . . — Map (db m68362) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Goshen — Elkhart County Honor Roll
(( Center Plaque )) This Memorial Dedicated by The Citizens of Elkhart County to perpetuate the memory of our Valiant Citizens who sacrificed their lives for God and Country and Honoring those who served in our . . . — Map (db m68805) WM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Goshen — Fort Wayne Street Bridge
. . . — Map (db m72673) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Goshen — Goshen College — Winona Railway Trail
Goshen College began as the Elkhart Institute of Science, Industry and the Arts on Elkhart's South Main Street in 1894, but moved to the Maple City and changed its name in 1903; the location chosen was easily accessible to rail transportation. The . . . — Map (db m72592) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Goshen — Goshen World War I Memorial
In Memory of the
Heroes of Goshen Who died in the World War — Map (db m72591) WM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Goshen — 20.2003.1 — Goshen’s Carnegie Library
Side A Indiana's first Carnegie library opened here 1903 with 3, 000 volumes. Goshen Library Association received $25, 000 in Carnegie grants 1901. Public donations, land purchase, and tax levy met Carnegie grant conditions. Architects Patton . . . — Map (db m32724) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Goshen — 20.1998.1 — Howard W. Hawks
Born 1896 in house on this site into locally prominent family. Moved with parents to Neenah, Wisconsin 1899 and to Pasadena, California 1906. Hawks - director, producer, screenwriter - is recognized as one of Hollywood's greatest filmmakers. His . . . — Map (db m30407) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Goshen — 20.1966.1 — Indiana Territory Line
The boundary between Indiana and Michigan territories was established in 1805. Just before Indiana became a state in 1816, the line was moved ten miles north to give Indiana frontage on Lake Michigan. — Map (db m44849) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Goshen — Madison Street School and Chandler School — Central City Trail
The current Chandler School is located on the site of the former Madison Street School, one of Goshen's first schools, opened in 1849. Miss Emma Chandler was the first principal from 1871 to 1898. In 1874, a four room addition was completed, but the . . . — Map (db m69804) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Goshen — Millrace Hydraulic Canal - Hawks Electric Company — Millrace Canal Trail
Built as a source of hydraulic power for Goshen's industries, the Millrace Canal gave rise to a new form of energy in the late 1890's - electricity. In 1898 the energy of the canal was harnessed by the Hawks Electric Company's central generating . . . — Map (db m64232) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Goshen — Oakridge Cemetery
The earliest known burials at Oakridge date to 1832. The trustees of First Church founded the cemetery in 1839. It was ceded to the City of Goshen in 1859. — Map (db m72699) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Goshen — Pioneer Dierdorff Cemetery Folk Lore
The folk lore concerning this cemetery has been handed down through generations by word of mouth. Most of it has proved to be factual through the efforts of Gordon Treesh, who researched old records and diaries. This is not a family cemetery, . . . — Map (db m74217) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Goshen — Shanklin Park — Millrace Canal Trail
Established in 1958, Shanklin Park was named after respected Goshen High School English teacher, Merle Shanklin. Formerly serving as the site of Goshen's landfill, the park has grown into the city's largest and most popular park. Located within the . . . — Map (db m68836) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Goshen — St. John's Lutheran Church
St. John's Lutheran Church Built 1852 Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m74199) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Goshen — The County Farm
Ox Bow Park was once the site of the County Farm. The farm provided a residence for those who could not support themselves. Residents helped run the farm, grew food and generated income. The Elkhart County Farm The Elkhart County Farm was . . . — Map (db m73482) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Goshen — The Engines of the Winona — Winona Railway Trail
The Winona Interurban Railway once ran along this corridor. The passenger and freight service was initially powered by electricity and later by internal-combustion engines until its demise. The Winona Interurban Railway was created just as . . . — Map (db m69803) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Goshen — The Goshen Dam and Millrace Hydraulic Canal — Millrace Canal Trail
Construction of the Goshen Dam and Millrace Canal began in March of 1867 and was completed on April 18, 1868, the same day Goshen was incorporated as a city. The project was built by a 40 man crew using horses and plows to excavate the canal bed. . . . — Map (db m64230) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Goshen — The Historic Goshen Police Booth
Erected 1939 to protect the Maple City from gangsters who might travel along this the old transcontinental Lincoln Highway — Map (db m30164) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Goshen — The Old Goshen High School — Central City Trail
This building served as Goshen High School from 1904 until the spring of 1923. Construction was completed in 1904 with a budget of $50,000. By 1920 this building was considered too small and land was purchased from the Wurster Estate on Lincolnway . . . — Map (db m72594) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Goshen — The Old Stone Bridge — Millrace Canal Trail
Several bridges have been built across the Millrace Canal at various stages throughout its history. Most of these bridges were built for transportation purposes (first horse and carriage, then railroads and automobiles), although some were built . . . — Map (db m64231) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Goshen — The Site of Fort Beane
This stone marks The Site of Fort Beane, built in 1832, as a refuge for the early settlers, at the time of the Blackhawk War. — Map (db m30173) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Goshen — West Goshen Cemetery
Settler John Cripe who died in 1841 is believed to be the first burial at West Goshen. The site was purchased and used by the German Baptist Church beginning in 1859. The cemetery was ceded to the City of Goshen in 1975. — Map (db m74219) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Middlebury — Dan West
Dan West was a resident of the Middlebury area when, in 1944, he created the Heifer Project, now Heifer International, an international relief program. This program sends pregnant cows, as well as other livestock, throughout the world to relieve . . . — Map (db m72736) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Middlebury — Krider Nurseries
These gardens, displayed in the 1934 Chicago “A Century of Progress” World’s Fair, gave Krider Nurseries nationwide prominence. After showcasing an immaculately designed garden as a promotion at the fair, Krider Nurseries brought parts . . . — Map (db m72768) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Middlebury — 20.2001.1 — Krider Nurseries World's Fair Garden
Side One: Krider Nurseries constructed and exhibited Krider's Diversified Garden at Century of Progress International Exposition in Chicago 1933-1934. Some plants and structures were returned to Middlebury, and garden was reconstructed . . . — Map (db m30745) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Middlebury — Middlebury World War II Roll of Honor
Roll of Honor Citizens of Middlebury and York Township Who Served Our Country in World War II Albert, Thurland • Allman, Don • Artley, Randall • Artley, Russell • Balyeat, Byron • Beall, William • Beck, Charles • Bender, Gordon • . . . — Map (db m72743) WM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Middlebury — Vernon H. Krider
In 1893 Vernon marched proudly off the rostrum with his high school sheepskin tucked under his arm. He was sure he was going away to school to become a physician. However, the country was in a depression, so his family could not afford to pay for . . . — Map (db m72767) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Nappanee — 20.2005.1 — Nappanee Cartoonists
(Side one): Merrill Blosser was first Nappanee artist to gain national recognition as a professional cartoonist. Freckles and His Friends, his most popular cartoon, ran from 1915 to 1973, syndicated by Newspaper Enterprise Association. In . . . — Map (db m31478) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Nappanee — 20.2005.2 — Nappanee Furniture
Side one: Nappanee platted 1874 on Baltimore & Ohio Railroad line. Sawmill opened 1873 produced ties for railroad construction. Coppes and Mutschler brothers were partners in lumber, milling, and furniture business, 1902-1913, becoming . . . — Map (db m62666) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Nappanee — Nappanee World Wars Memorial
In Memory of those from this community who gave their lives in the World Wars Orval H. Andrews • William G. Anglin • Arthur Buss • Robert W. Chambers • Dale Junior Cleveland • Robert W. Geyer • Devon R. Hall • Russel R. Huff • Dean M. . . . — Map (db m74220) WM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Nappanee — Stahly - Nissley - Kuhns Farm
Amish pioneer Christian Stahly purchased this 80 acre farm for his son Moses in 1873. The year before the village of Nappanee was established on the new northern route of the B&O Railroad. Three generations of related Amish families have lived here. . . . — Map (db m74075) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), New Paris — Five Medals Village
Near this spot stood the village of the Potawatomi War Chief Five Medals, whose Indian name was Onaska. This chief ceased hostilities against the United States government after signing the Greenville Treaty, 1795. He met with Presidents . . . — Map (db m30172) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), New Paris — New Paris World War II Memorial
★ World War II ★ In Memoriam Baringer, Philip H. • Frederick, Clifford • Miller, Harold • Reed, Melvin, Jr. • Stiver, William J. • Weaver, Glen C. ★ ★ ★ Aschliman, Walter • Baringer, Joseph W. . . . — Map (db m72513) WM
Indiana (Elkhart County), New Paris — Wyland Brothers Landing
. . . — Map (db m72735) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Wakarusa — Bull Cemetery — Cemetery Heritage
Bull Cemetery Established circa 1848 A Historic Cemetery Listed in Indiana's Cemetery and Burial Grounds Registry of the Indiana Department of Natural Resources Installed 2009 Indiana Historical Bureau and James G. Hermsen . . . — Map (db m68576) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Waterford Mills — Violett Cemetery — "44.15 Acres"
John M. Violett acquired this land from the U.S. Government in 1833 and the original plot of this cemetery on the east bank of the Elkhart River consisted of 10.7 acres. One of the oldest graves here is that of James H. Violett who died in . . . — Map (db m62667) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Waterford Mills — Waterford Elementary School — Winona Railway Trail
The history of Waterford School dates back to a log cabin one mile west of town in about 1830. The first school built in town was a frame building erected on the southwest corner of Egbert Road and South Main Street in 1836. A new one-story brick . . . — Map (db m69802) HM
Indiana (Fayette County), Connersville — "Elmhurst"
Erected 1831 by Oliver H. Smith. Later home of Caleb B. Smith, Secretary of Interior under Lincoln and Grand Master of Indiana Masons. Restored 1941 as home for local Masonic bodies. — Map (db m44768) HM
Indiana (Fayette County), Connersville — Canal House
1841 Built as Headquarters of the Whitewater Valley Canal Co. 1854 Savings Bank of Indiana Home of: Dr. S. W. Vance 1857-1936 Congressman and Mrs. Finly H. Gray 1936-1947 1947 - 1971 V. F. W. Post 571 . . . — Map (db m44760) HM
Indiana (Fayette County), Connersville — Fayette County Honor Rolls — War Memorial
(( Center Panel )) Honoring all who served in the United States Armed Forces Defending Liberty and Justice in All the World Presented by Veterans and Citizens of Fayette County 1986 . . . — Map (db m44876) WM
Indiana (Fayette County), Connersville — 21.1966.1 — The Whitewater Canal
In 1836 construction began on this fifty-six lock, one hundred one mile canal. Opened from Lawrenceburg to Brookville (1839), it was extended to Laurel and Cincinnati (1843), Connersville (1845), Cambridge City (1846), and Hagerstown (1847). — Map (db m44741) HM
Indiana (Fayette County), Connersville — Twelve Mile Line
This plaque marks the western border of the twelve mile cession negotiated by Governor William Henry Harrison with the Miami, Potawatomi, and Delawares, Treaty of Fort Wayne, September 30, 1809. — Map (db m44770) HM
Indiana (Floyd County), Georgetown — George W. Waltz — Bicentennial Celebration of Georgetown's Founding Father — 1808 - 2008

1807 George W. Waltz/Walts, Anna Brewer Walts & family left Pennsylvania to go west

1808 Recorded 170 acre purchase in Harrison Co. Indiana Territory

1809 Petitioned Congress for U.S. Government intervention of . . . — Map (db m96071) HM

Indiana (Floyd County), Georgetown — Georgetown — Floyd County

Named for George Walts, from Pennsylvania, who settled here in 1807. The earliest settler was Patrick Henry Shields, a Virginian, who arrived in 1805 and became prominent in early Indiana affairs as statesman and soldier. Here in 1890 was born . . . — Map (db m96073) HM

Indiana (Floyd County), Georgetown — Patrick Shields — Bicentennial Celebration of First Georgetown Settlers — 1805 - 2005

Patrick & Mary Nantz Shields Children James & Henry

1811 Aide to General Wm H Harrison in Tippecanoe Campaign

1816 Delegate to the Indiana Constitutional Convention and signed the historical document at Corydon's . . . — Map (db m96067) HM

Indiana (Floyd County), Georgetown — Veterans Memorial

Dedicated to All Veterans of Georgetown, Indiana — Map (db m96066) HM

Indiana (Floyd County), New Albany — 22.2004.1 — A Gateway to Freedom
As early as 1821, enslaved blacks seeking freedom crossed the Ohio River from Louisville to New Albany. Antebellum and Civil War periods brought more fugitives. Many freedom-seekers were aided by other slaves, free blacks, and anti-slavery whites -- . . . — Map (db m30841) HM
Indiana (Floyd County), New Albany — 22.1999.1 — Buffalo Trace Route
American Bison, migrating in great herds, created a cluster of paths along the natural topography between Illinois prairies and salt licks in Kentucky. These paths, called the Buffalo Trace, used by Native Americans and became premier travel route . . . — Map (db m71282) HM
Indiana (Floyd County), New Albany — Carnegie's Lasting Gifts
Andrew Carnegie rose from humble beginnings in Scotland to become one of America’s most famous philanthropists. From his first job at 13 in a cotton mill to his position as head of The Carnegie Steel Company, Carnegie remembered his path to success . . . — Map (db m46793) HM
Indiana (Floyd County), New Albany — 22.2005.1 — Division Street School
Side 'One' Because of the growing number of African-American school-age children, the New Albany School Board authorized a new elementary school for them June 1884. It opened here 1885. An 1869 Indiana law had mandated education of colored . . . — Map (db m46620) HM
Indiana (Floyd County), New Albany — Floyd County American Revolution War Memorial
. . . — Map (db m46942) WM
Indiana (Floyd County), New Albany — Floyd County Honor Roll & Veterans Memorial
(( Left Panel )) Honor To our Civil War Veterans ( - - Art Work - - ) (( Center Panel )) In honored memory of Floyd County men who gave their lives for our Country Dedicated by Hobart Beach Post . . . — Map (db m47025) WM
Indiana (Floyd County), New Albany — Floyd County World Peace Honor Roll
In honored memory of Floyd County Servicemen who sacrificed their lives for World Peace SGT. Christopher K. Hilgert U.S. Army • Aug. 8, 1993 • Somalia SGT. Steven P. Mennemeyer US. Army • Aug. 8, 2006 • Iraq . . . — Map (db m46943) WM
Indiana (Floyd County), New Albany — Honoring Our Heroes
An act of Congress in 1862 established fourteen national cemeteries for the interment of casualties from the Civil War. The first National Cemetery was at Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. The New Albany National Cemetery was one of the first seven . . . — Map (db m68540) HM WM
Indiana (Floyd County), New Albany — Korean Conflict / Vietnam Conflict - Floyd County — Floyd County
In honored memory of Floyd County men who gave their lives for our country 1950 ---- The Korean Conflict ---- 1955 (Row One) - Edward C. Andres • John H. Berryman • William S. Blasdel • Marvin L. Davis • George E. Franklin • Hugh . . . — Map (db m46961) WM
Indiana (Floyd County), New Albany — Lucy Higgs Nichols
Side ‘One’ Lucy, born a slave April 10, 1838, was owned by the Higgs family that by 1850 lived near Bolivar, Tennessee. She gained her freedom in 1862 by escaping to the 23rd Regiment, Indiana Volunteers camped nearby. She worked as a nurse . . . — Map (db m46622) HM
Indiana (Floyd County), New Albany — Memories of Division
Enslaved blacks seeking freedom crossed the Ohio River from Louisville to New Albany almost from the founding of the Indiana town. The Indiana Constitution of 1816 prohibited slavery. Because of the large number of blacks crossing the river, the . . . — Map (db m46766) HM
Indiana (Floyd County), New Albany — New Albany National Cemetery
This National Cemetery is one of the original 7 established in 1862 by Congress. 5.46 acres were purchased from Dr. Charles Bowman Dec. 1862 for burial of Union and Confederate casualties. There are over 5,000 interments from 7 conflicts. Civil War, . . . — Map (db m26409) HM
Indiana (Floyd County), New Albany — New Albany National Cemetery
"Falls of the Ohio" in the Civil War The towns of Jeffersonville and New Albany, Indiana are located near the falls of the Ohio River across from Louisville, Kentucky. This location made them critical to the Union war effort. Jeffersonville . . . — Map (db m100986) HM WM
Indiana (Floyd County), New Albany — 22.2005.3 — New Albany's Carnegie Library
Side 'One' New Albany School Board organized a public library on May 8, 1884. This library building, supported with funds from Andrew Carnegie, opened on March 2, 1904 with 11, 125 volumes. Building is Neoclassical style, constructed of brick . . . — Map (db m46768) HM
Indiana (Floyd County), New Albany — 22.1998.1 — Scribner High School
In 1880, an 1822 school building on this site became Scribner High School for African-American students, under an 1869 Indiana law mandating public education for African-American children and allowing segregated schools. Modern facility completed . . . — Map (db m46624) HM
Indiana (Fountain County), Attica — 23.1997.1 — Attica & Covington Canal Skirmish
In fall 1846, residents of Covington and Attica skirmished at Lock 35 over lack of water to Covington. Heavy rains eventually resolved the problem. Competition among canal towns over water control was often intense. First boat reached Attica 1846 . . . — Map (db m3284) HM
Indiana (Fountain County), Attica — 23.2005.1 — Attica’s Carnegie Library
Ladies Library Association of Attica, created 1885, deeded its library building to city; city library opened 1902 with a collection of 1,500 books. Funds from Andrew Carnegie made it possible to build a new library here on land originally owned by . . . — Map (db m3317) HM
Indiana (Fountain County), Attica — Davis Township - Maysville — 1825 - 1935
Platted 1832 Addition 1836 Population in 1840 - - 800 First polling place in Davis Township. Many years Largest Town South of Chicago. — Map (db m9874) HM
Indiana (Fountain County), Attica — Devon Theater — Art Deco Style — Built in 1938
. . . — Map (db m7934) HM
Indiana (Fountain County), Attica — Dr. John Evans — 1814 – 1897 — Logan Township
Doctor – Educator – Builder – Financier. Attica, Indiana Doctor, 1839–1845 Founder: Indiana Hospital for Insane. Chicago Mercy Hospital: City of Evanston, Ill. Northwestern University - U. of Denver. Rush . . . — Map (db m9947) HM
Indiana (Fountain County), Attica — Harrison Hills Country Club House — Restoration and Preservation — Tudor Revival
. . . — Map (db m19771) HM
Indiana (Fountain County), Attica — Hotel Attica
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by The United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m7936) HM
Indiana (Fountain County), Attica — In Memory of — P.O.W. - M.I.A.
You are not Forgotten — Map (db m32623) HM
Indiana (Fountain County), Attica — In Memory of Heroes 1861 - 1865 — Civil War Memorial
In Memory of Heroes 1861 - 1865 Presented by L. of G. A. R. Attica Circle, 1911 — Map (db m20531) HM
Indiana (Fountain County), Attica — Italianate Style House
Historic Landmarks of Fountain County Award presented to Dr. Peter and Ann Petrich for the Restoration and Preservation of This Italianate Style House built c. 1850 — Map (db m7969) HM
Indiana (Fountain County), Attica — Marshall M Milford Home
Milford Home has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior Built 1845 — Map (db m9310) HM
Indiana (Fountain County), Attica — 23.2003.1 — Ravine Park
American Indians frequented this area, rich in natural resources. The ravine provided water from natural springs, marl for lime, and clay for bricks for nineteenth-century residents of Attica, platted 1825. City became owner of ravine 1906 when . . . — Map (db m3311) HM
Indiana (Fountain County), Attica — The Old Church — Cottrell Village
Built - 1850 Restored 1989 by the John Cottrell Foundation — Map (db m7938) HM
Indiana (Fountain County), Attica — The Old Library — Ladies Library - Attica — Est. 1889
Founded in 1885, built in 1889, and restored in 1998 by Historic Landmarks of Fountain County. — Map (db m7933) HM
Indiana (Fountain County), Attica — The Spirit of the American Doughboy
. . . — Map (db m7988) HM
Indiana (Fountain County), Attica — World War I Memorial
John Feuristien - Co. D - 113 Eng. Robert L. Goans - Battery C - 150 F.A. Edward Harty - 306 U.S. Inf. Arch Hope Earle Ireland - 131 U.S. Inf. Lloyd Ireland - Battery B - 70 F.A. Frank J. Kight - Battery C - 6 F. A. Chas. W. . . . — Map (db m22801) HM
Indiana (Fountain County), Covington — Covington - Indiana City Building — Craig and Dawn Dixon
Historic Landmarks of Fountain County award Presented to Craig and Dawn Dixon for Restoration and Preservation of 413 Washington Street Covington, In. Built 1903 — Map (db m7906) HM
Indiana (Fountain County), Covington — Covington Carnegie Library
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places. — Map (db m8724) HM
Indiana (Fountain County), Covington — 23.1970.2 — Esther Test Wallace
1807–1834. The 1st wife of Governor David Wallace and Mother of General Lew Wallace, soldier, author of Ben Hur, statesman & diplomat, is here buried. She influenced the lives of two important Hoosiers. — Map (db m3382) HM
Indiana (Fountain County), Covington — 08000191 — Fountain County (Indiana) Court House
Fountain County Court House 1937 Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m37241) HM
Indiana (Fountain County), Covington — Fountain County Centennial Memorial — In Honor of our Heroes Who Have Defended us in All Wars
1826 - - 1926 Fountain County Centennial Memorial Erected by The Richard Henry Lee Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution in Memory of The Pioneers and Illustrious Dead of Fountain County and In Honor of our Heroes Who Have Defended us in . . . — Map (db m7907) HM
Indiana (Fountain County), Covington — Fountain County Clerk's Building — Fountain County Art Council
Historic Landmarks of Fountain County Award Presented to Fountain County Art Council for Restoration and Preservation of Fountain County Clerk's Building Built 1842. — Map (db m21155) HM
Indiana (Fountain County), Covington — Fountain County Veterans Memorial
In grateful tribute to all men and women of Fountain County who have served or will serve in defense of our country. — Map (db m7908) HM
Indiana (Fountain County), Covington — Portland Arch Natural Preserve
has been designated a National Natural Landmark This site possesses exceptional value as an illustration of the nation's natural heritage and contributes to a better understanding of the environment — Map (db m10093) HM
Indiana (Fountain County), Covington — 84000027 — The House With The Lions — Sewell - Freese House
Built c. 1867 Has Been Placed on the National Register of Historic Places. — Map (db m10335) HM
Indiana (Fountain County), Covington — Twentieth Century Functional Commercial Building
. . . — Map (db m37371) HM
Indiana (Fountain County), Covington — Wabash - Erie Canal — 1846 - 1875
Shawnee Township Wabash - Erie Canal 1846 - 1875 The Canal extended from Toledo, Ohio to Evansville, Indiana. Construction on the 376 mile section in Indiana began in 1832 and completed through Fountain County in 1846. One to six horses in . . . — Map (db m20364) HM
Indiana (Fountain County), Hillsboro — Hillsboro Service Memorial
World War - I Orel A. Smith, Born 1898, 32nd Co. 6th Marine Vol., Killed In Action, Nov. 2, 1918 • Lieut. W. E. G. Cooper, Born March 29, 1888, Killed In Action at Chateau Thierry, July 20, 1918 • Claude L. Wilkinson, Born June 9, 1893, Killed . . . — Map (db m7884) WM
Indiana (Fountain County), Kingman — Kingman Indiana — Est. 1886
David J. Ratliff platted his farm land just North of State Street through which the new Chicago, Attica, & Southern railway passed. The town was named after the foreman of the construction crew. The town South of State Street was Fountainville until . . . — Map (db m36101) HM
Indiana (Fountain County), Lodi — Silver Island Cemetery — Cemetery Heritage
Silver Island Cemetery Established 1832 A Historic Cemetery Listed in Indiana’s Cemetery and Burial Grounds Registry of the Indiana Department of Natural Resources Installed 2013 Indiana Historical Bureau . . . — Map (db m77555) HM
Indiana (Fountain County), Newtown — National Corn Husking Contest
Richland Township Site of National Corn Husking Contest in 1935. 4 Blocks West - - - Cobb Farms and L.K. Mitchell and Family Hosts. Lawrence Pitzer of Fountain County Represented Indiana and later became National Champion in 1939. . . . — Map (db m3405) HM
Indiana (Fountain County), Silverwood — Fulton Township — Lodi Mineral and Artesian Well
Salt discovered by Norbourn Thomas in 1829. Capacity: 200 bushel of salt every 24 hours. Depth 1,135 feet - Deepest in the United States at that time. Artesian water of Medicinal value was discovered. Became a Health Spa in 1921. Water . . . — Map (db m20482) HM
Indiana (Fountain County), Stone Bluff — Birch - Colvert Cemetery — Stone Bluff Cemetery
Birch - Colvert Cemetery Also Known As Stone Bluff Cemetery Beneath this hallowed ground rests the souls of many long-forgotten loved ones. Their gravestones destroyed by the hand of man: and the physical boundaries of . . . — Map (db m77583) HM
Indiana (Fountain County), Stone Bluff — Osborn Prairie Church - - Built 1892 — Gothic Revival Church
. . . — Map (db m20235) HM
Indiana (Fountain County), Veedersburg — Booe - Inlow - d'Arlier Cultural Center — Prairie / Craftman House
HISTORIC LANDMARKS OF FOUNTAIN COUNTY, INC. Award Presented to BOOE - INLOW - D'ARLIER CHARITABLE FOUNDATION for the restoration and preservation of the Prairie / Craftman House D'Arlier Cultural Center Built in . . . — Map (db m19174) HM
Indiana (Fountain County), Veedersburg — 23.1970.1 — Boyhood Home of Daniel W. Voorhees
“Tall Sycamore of the Wabash” — 1827-1897 — Famous orator - Representative in Congress, 1861-66, 1869-73; U.S. Senator, 1877–1897; chief promoter of the building of the Library of Congress. — Map (db m3232) HM
Indiana (Fountain County), Veedersburg — Curfew Bell
Erected by the town of Veedersburg in memory of Cal Scherer who used old Curfew Bell over 30 years. —Board of Trustees: Leon L. Ewbank, L. R. Owens M.D., Leon Wiggins. — Map (db m34092) HM
Indiana (Fountain County), Veedersburg — Lee and Mike Ramsey — Tacky Apron Antiques & Bakery
Historic Landmarks of Fountain County Award presented to Lee and Mike Ramsey for restoration and preservation of 115 North Main Veedersburg, IN Built 1886 — Map (db m9010) HM
Indiana (Fountain County), Veedersburg — Millcreek Township — Steam Corner
John Gilmore entered first land in Township — 1826. Alanson Savage built steam saw mill produced timbers for “Plank Road” — 1840. Rev. Jones organized Methodist Church — 1852. Early Families: Furrs, Booes, . . . — Map (db m3805) HM
Indiana (Fountain County), Veedersburg — Nineteenth Century Functional Commercial Building
. . . — Map (db m37076) HM
Indiana (Fountain County), Veedersburg — Progressive Friends Church Memorial — Dedicated October 8, 1864
. . . — Map (db m10100) HM
Indiana (Fountain County), Veedersburg — Troy Township, Layton Station
Peter and James Layton, half brothers, came from New York, 1853. Here was the train stop for the residents of the area of the Plank Road ½ mile south. There a blacksmith shop, grocery, the stage stop, “Halfway House” were located. — Map (db m3466) HM
Indiana (Fountain County), Veedersburg — Van Buren Township, Bonebrake Corner
Church: Established by United Brothers in 1828. Building erected 1847 - Used until 1900. Cemetery 1837 to present time. The last resting place of pioneers and soldiers who served our country in seven wars. — Map (db m3403) HM
Indiana (Fountain County), Veedersburg — Veedersburg — Home of Brick Yard
Welcome To Veedersburg Home of Brick Yard that manufactured the bricks that built the Indianapolis 500 Mile Track in 1909 — Map (db m55792) HM
Indiana (Fountain County), Veedersburg — Veedersburg
Welcome To Veedersburg Home of Brick Yard that manufactured the bricks that built the Indianapolis 500 Mile Track in 1909 — Map (db m55793) HM
Indiana (Fountain County), Veedersburg — Veedersburg - VanBuren Township War Memorial
1919 - 1991 American Legion Veedersburg Post 288 In Memory of those from Veedersburg & Vanburen Twp. who served, and those who gave their lives in the service of their Country. (Left Side): World War . . . — Map (db m7779) WM
Indiana (Fountain County), Veedersburg — Veedersburg " Scout Cabin "
Built 1934 for "Boy Scouts" by W.P.A. - Local Workers Guy Smith - Project Mgr. Logs - Walter Marshall Farm Bricks - Veedersbrg Paving — Map (db m34089) HM
Indiana (Fountain County), Veedersburg — Veedersburg Memorial Park — Honoring All Veterans
(Engraved near the top are the Seals of the United States Army, United States Navy, United States Army Air Corps, United States Marine Corps, and United States Coast Guard)Map (db m7804) WM
Indiana (Fountain County), Veedersburg — Wabash Township — " Union Mill " - — " William B. White Home "
Scott, Hultz, and Sigler commissioners appointed by State Legislature to form the newly formed Fountain County Seat of Justice, met here at William B. White Home. He erected the County's first mill here near the covered bridge, the County's . . . — Map (db m20411) HM
Indiana (Fountain County), Wallace — Phanuel Lutheran Church - - Jackson Township
Organized in 1832 by German speaking families of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Rowen County, North Carolina. Migrating to Indiana in 1828. August 7, 1836 Jacob and Elizabeth Linebaugh Bowman deeded land for the First Church and Cemetery. — Map (db m10027) HM
Indiana (Franklin County), Brookville — Abram Hammond
. . . — Map (db m44705) HM
Indiana (Franklin County), Brookville — Brookville College
Site of Brookville College erected 1852 - - 1872. “Julia Dumont Society” founded here December 16th 1853. Original building purchased by Brookville and served as Public School 1873 - - 1912. Building razed 1912 and present . . . — Map (db m44698) HM
Indiana (Franklin County), Brookville — 24.1992.1 — Brookville Historic District
Platted 1808 along Whitewater River, Brookville was an important entry point to interior lands opened to settlement. The district's concentration of well-preserved buildings reflects the city's continued prosperity. Brookville Historic District . . . — Map (db m44697) HM
Indiana (Franklin County), Brookville — 24.1966.1 — Brookville, Franklin County — ( Platted 1808 )
. . . — Map (db m44695) HM
Indiana (Franklin County), Brookville — 24.1995.2 — Brookville's Carnegie Library
Dedicated in 1912, starting with approximately 600 books; collections and services have expanded to meet needs of local patrons. One of 1, 679 libraries built in U.S. with funds from philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. Indiana built more Carnegie . . . — Map (db m44694) HM
Indiana (Franklin County), Brookville — 24.2002.1 — Brookville's Grandstand
Side one This grandstand built 1922 to seat 1, 000 and serve fans of new Brookville semi-pro team. Twenty box seats included to help pay for construction. Central platform included for community activities. Facility later used for youth . . . — Map (db m44693) HM
Indiana (Franklin County), Brookville — Franklin County War Memorial
( Plaque ) The original monument on this site was erected by the Grand Army of The Republic and bore the following inscription: “I am dying, but I die for my Country” Gen. P. A. Hackleman was the only General from Indiana . . . — Map (db m44901) HM
Indiana (Franklin County), Brookville — Goodwin Home
Built by John D. Howland circa 1856~1857. Later owned and occupied by John H. Farquhar, Merchant, Member of Congress; Aaron C. Miller, Merchant; John C. Hitt, Banker; Dr. John R. Goodwin, Banker, Civil War Surgeon, Paymaster in the Department of the . . . — Map (db m94158) HM
Indiana (Franklin County), Brookville — 24.1995.3 — Intersection of Treaty Lines
One mile south is intersection of western boundary line of Treaty of Greenville, Ohio (1795) and Treaty of Grouseland, near Vincennes (1805), northeastern boundary line. By these treaties, Native American tribes ceded land to the United States . . . — Map (db m66866) HM
Indiana (Franklin County), Brookville — James Brown Ray — Feb. 19, 1794 ~ Aug. 4, 1848
Governor of Indiana, 1825 ~ 1831. Erected this house circa 1821 ~ 1822. Palladian window and transom fan~light considered "too aristocratic" by early Hoosiers. — Map (db m94157) HM
Indiana (Franklin County), Brookville — 24.1949.1 — Little Cedar Grove Baptist Church
Built in 1812, this is the oldest church building still on its original location in the state. Interior shows rifle openings in walls, a balcony and raised pulpit. Burial plot adjoins church. — Map (db m44920) HM
Indiana (Franklin County), Brookville — Old Brookville Church and Cemetery
First permanent Church in Brookville was built by Methodists 1820. It was occupied by Methodists 1821 - 1839 Presbyterians 1839 - 1855 Lutherans 1855 - 1922 Baptists since 1953 Many Brookville early . . . — Map (db m44699) HM
Indiana (Franklin County), Brookville — 24.1995.1 — Old Franklin United Brethren Church
United Brethren among earliest settlers in eastern Indiana during territorial period. Original structure, built 1831, one of first United Brethren churches in Indiana. Evangelical United Brethren Church joined Methodist Church to become United . . . — Map (db m66867) HM
Indiana (Franklin County), Brookville — The Courthouse Square
. . . — Map (db m44703) HM
Indiana (Franklin County), Brookville — The Purple Heart — Honor and Memory of All Veterans
( Emblem - - “The Purple Heart” ) Dedicated to those who have received or will receive our Nations Oldest Decoration the Purple Heart In honor and memory of all veterans who served and died for Freedom. Let . . . — Map (db m44692) WM
Indiana (Franklin County), Laurel — 24.2006.1 — Brigadier General CSA Francis Asbury Shoup
(Front Side) Remembered for service in Confederate States of America army, 1861-1865, and "Shoupade" fortification design; fought in battles of Shiloh, Vicksburg, and Atlanta. Advocated recruitment of African Americans for CSA army. . . . — Map (db m66860) HM
Indiana (Franklin County), Laurel — 24.1965.1 — Whetzel Trace (1818-1823)
Here Edward Toner founded SOMERSET, 1816, & operated Toner's Tavern, 1816-1823, from which rallying point pioneers started west on Jacob Whetzel's Trace to the "New Purchase" of Central Indiana. — Map (db m66859) HM
Indiana (Franklin County), Metamora — Ben Franklin III
The Ben Franklin III, launched in 1989, was designed and constructed in Pascagoula, Mississippi. Designed as a freighter, the vessel is 75’ long and has a beam (or width) of 12’. Constructed of wood and fiberglass, it holds approximately 75 . . . — Map (db m59594) HM
Indiana (Franklin County), Metamora — Boundary Hill — The Greenville Treaty Line in Southern Indiana — Marking the “Gore” at the Whitewater Canal
This is the point on the line established by the Treaty of Greenville, August 8, 1795, between General Anthony Wayne and the Indian tribes of the Northwest Territory. This treaty opened southern Ohio and eastern Indiana to white settlement. — Map (db m79692) HM
Indiana (Franklin County), Metamora — Canal Front Dry Goods Store
Two story frame of Federal style. Built by Jonathan Banes in 1848. First known as the firm of Jenks Banes & Calvin Jones. Harry & Alvin Blacklidge 1852-57 Mahlon & Milton Gordon 1857-92 Wm. N. Gordon started banking business in west . . . — Map (db m44796) HM
Indiana (Franklin County), Metamora — Duck Creek Aqueduct
An aqueduct is a bridge carrying one body of water over another. The Duck Creek Aqueduct was originally built in 1843 to convey the canal over Duck Creek 16 feet below. Flood waters in 1847 destroyed the aqueduct, which was soon replaced by the . . . — Map (db m55560) HM
Indiana (Franklin County), Metamora — Gordon's or Millville Lock #24
Gordon's, or Millville Lock #24, was one of the 56 locks on the Whitewater Canal constructed to accommodate a 491-foot drop in elevation along its course. The water level could be raised or lowered eight feet. Mitered gates at both ends of the . . . — Map (db m66863) HM
Indiana (Franklin County), Metamora — Jenks and Martindale Grocery
Alfred Blacklidge was the original owner of this building. The original building burned in 1885. In the early 1900's. Blacklidge was extending credit to surrounding sharecroppers, when bad times came, forcing many of the farmers to default on their . . . — Map (db m44904) HM
Indiana (Franklin County), Metamora — Martindale Hotel
Built in 1838 by Ezekial Tyner to house his store room and counting room where he acted as agent for canal trade, housing his family in the addition to the rear. He then purchased the land from David Mount in 1841. Thomas Tague acquired the property . . . — Map (db m44902) HM
Indiana (Franklin County), Metamora — Metamora Christian Church
Organized July 18, 1841. The oldest Christian Congregation in Franklin Co. This Church was organized as a result of a revival meeting held by Rev. Alexander Campbell, founder of the Campbellites. Services were held for a time in the upper story of . . . — Map (db m2404) HM
Indiana (Franklin County), Metamora — Metamora Grist Mill
In 1845, Jonathan Banes built a three-story frame cotton mill, known as Metamora Cotton Factory, on this site. Banes, a former contractor on the canal, converted the cotton factory to a flouring mill in 1856, and sold the mill to John Curry in . . . — Map (db m44903) HM
Indiana (Franklin County), Metamora — Metamora Masonic Lodge
This stone building, constructed in the 1840's, was owned and used by a number of families prominent in early history of Metamora. These included Martindale, Watkins, Allison and Wiley. The ground floor was a general merchandising establishment, . . . — Map (db m44865) HM

1628 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 201 through 401 were listed. Previous 200 Next 1228
Paid Advertisement