These are the ruins of a tabby sugar works built by John Houston McIntosh at New Canaan Plantation soon after 1825. In his sugar house McIntosh installed what was, according to Thomas Spalding, the first horizontal cane mill worked by cattle power. . . . — — Map (db m21289) HM
USS George Bancroft SSBN- 643
Commissioned 22 January 1966 Decommissioned 21 September 1993
(Associated Sponsor plaque excerpt)
USS George Bancroft SSBN- 643 was a 640-class Fleet Ballistic Missile (FBM) submarine homeported in . . . — — Map (db m68749) HM
This road, formerly an Indian trail which paralleled the coast, was used by the Spanish and the British.
In 1778 it was traveled by the Revolutionary soldiers who marched against Fort Tonyn at Point Peter.
Albert Gallatin while U.S. Secretary . . . — — Map (db m81752) HM
On June 29, 1796, this Treaty was signed ¼ mile south of here near Indian Agent James Seagrove’s home, a trading post and garrison of Federal troops on the St. Marys River. The meeting included representatives of the United States and the State of . . . — — Map (db m60207) HM
Built by public subscription as a place of divine worship for inhabitants of St. Marys and its vicinity. Reverend Horace Southworth Pratt was ordained and installed as the first pastor by the Presbytery of Georgia in June, 1822. Incorporated under . . . — — Map (db m21062) HM
In this house Aaron Burr fleeing after duel with Alexander Hamilton, and later General Winfield Scott returning from Indian campaign in Florida, were entertained by Major Archibald Clark. W.P.A. 1936. — — Map (db m103543) HM
East of here, at the junction of Peter Creek and the St. Marys river, the British built Fort Tonyn in 1776; controlling the southern part of the colony of Georgia for two years. In 1778, American Revolutionary forces, both land and water, forced . . . — — Map (db m81753) HM
In 1795 a cannon battery constructed on the Point Peter peninsula became the southernmost fortification in the First System of U.S. coastal defenses. Vacated in 1802, it was reoccupied and strengthened in 1808 to provide support for the enforcement . . . — — Map (db m16320) HM
This church is the oldest religious organization in the city, although not the oldest church building. George Clark served as the first missionary to the people here in 1792. John Garvin was the first appointed Pastor to St. Marys in 1799. Methodist . . . — — Map (db m23044) HM
Georgia’s fate was decided in 1742 when Spanish and British forces clashed on St. Simons Island. Fort Frederica’s troops defeated the Spanish, ensuring Georgia’s future as a British colony. Today, the National Park Service manages Fort Frederica . . . — — Map (db m112210) HM
This town was built on the north bank of the St. Marys River at a place called Buttermilk Bluff. The original tract of land, containing 1620 acres, was purchased by the proprietors for laying out the Town of St. Marys for Jacob Weed for thirty eight . . . — — Map (db m14180) HM
Grown from pecan nuts found floating at sea by Capt. Samuel F. Flood and planted by his wife, nee Rebecca Grovenstine, on Block 47.
The remainder of these nuts were planted by St. Joseph Sebastian Arnow in the north half of Block 26. . . . — — Map (db m14398) HM
Following the death of
President George Washington
on December 14, 1799, local
citizens and members of
Camden Lodge #16 planted
six Oak trees in a
memorial service honoring
this famous Statesman,
Soldier and Free Mason. This . . . — — Map (db m63927) HM
There were originally six wells one in each square, the only source of pure water for St. Marys, (until the tidal wave of 1818).
On the day that the Father of the Country was buried at Mt. Vernon local services were also held throughout the . . . — — Map (db m14178) HM