Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Erie County Ohio Historical Markers

 
Camp Avery / County Seat Marker image, Touch for more information
By Dale K. Benington, April 21, 2011
Camp Avery / County Seat Marker
Ohio (Erie County), Avery — Camp Avery / County Seat
Camp Avery 1811 One-fourth mile southwest from the site on the brow of the hill overlooking the eastern bank of the Huron River, Gen. Simon Perkins, commanding the Ohio Militia, built the fortifications and block house of Camp Avery for protection . . . — Map (db m41909) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Bay View — Medusa Portland Cement Company
The Sandusky Portland Cement Company, later known as the Medusa Portland Cement Company, was founded here in 1892 by Arthur, Spencer and William Newberry, sons of geologist Dr. John Strong Newberry. Portland cement was manufactured at the Bay Bridge . . . — Map (db m41806) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Birmingham — Birmingham School
Birminghan School was built in 1916 and served as a high school until school districts merged in 1954, and it was repurposed into an elementary school. In 1988, schools districts merged again and the Birmingham School was closed. The Firelands . . . — Map (db m144388) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Castalia — Snow's Grist Mill
In 1810 Snow's grist mill was built near here. Unfailing water supply brought people from great distances to Cold Creek mills. Snow's family was massacred by Indians in 1813 — Map (db m31746) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Cedar Point — 30-22 — Inaugural Meeting of Ohio Hospital Association
About 60 leaders of Ohio hospitals gathered at the Hotel Breakers on August 25, 1915 to form the Ohio Hospital Association (OHA), the nation’s first state hospital association. Established 15 years after the American Hospital Association, the . . . — Map (db m142165) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Huron — 10-22 — Christ Episcopal Church
The Episcopal Society of Huron was organized in 1837, the Rev. F. M. Levenworth, pastor. The cornerstone of this building was laid on May 23, 1838; it is the oldest church building in Huron, standing near what had been the original southern limit of . . . — Map (db m141643) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Huron — 28-22 — Electric Interurban Railways / Lake Shore Electric Railway
For over three decades, the electric interurban railways played a major part in the economic life of the American Midwest. Their contribution was greatest in Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, and Illinois. The interurban railways were electrically-powered . . . — Map (db m141539) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Huron — First Cedar Point Road
This was one of the first concrete roads built in Ohio. When Cedar Point opened for the 1913 season, it was the access road. The road extended one mile north to the water and six miles west along the lake's unstable sandspit, which was destroyed by . . . — Map (db m41807) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Huron — Historic Roadway
The paved trail is actually the original automobile entrance to the Cedar Point Amusement Park. Built in the early 1900's, this road was one of the first hard surface roads east of the Mississippi River. Lake Erie washed away the section of roadway . . . — Map (db m41808) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Huron — Huron / Erie County
Huron. • Early Indian Village and French trading post, 1749. • First white settlement in Western Reserve — Jean Baptiste Flemmond, 1790. • Surveyed 1806 by Almon Ruggles. • Site of first school in Firelands area 1810 — Alvin Coe and . . . — Map (db m141647) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Huron — Huron Block House1930s to Present
Recognizing the importance of Huron’s harbor, a group of Huron and Milan businessmen formed the Huron Harbor Company to make improvements to the harbor. The project was partially funded by the sale at public auction of one half of the town plat of . . . — Map (db m142343) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Huron — 14-22 — Huron Lighthouses / Huron’s Maritime History
Huron’s lighthouses have served as beacons to Great Lakes shipping since the early nineteenth century. The first of three Huron lighthouses was built in 1835. Built of wood and ill-equipped to deal with strong Lake Erie winds, it was destroyed . . . — Map (db m142257) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Huron — 12-22 — Huron’s First Inhabitants
Huron and Erie County are rich in Native American history. During the construction of the nearby Ohio Route 2 bypass archaeologists in 1976-77 uncovered three Native villages and burial sites. The Anderson site, overlooking the Old Woman . . . — Map (db m142364) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Huron — 32-22 — John Baptiste Flemmond
John Baptiste Flemmond (1770–1827), a French Canadian trader, was one of the earliest Euro-American settlers in what became Erie County. In 1805, he established a trading post at “Flemmond’s Cove” on the east side of the Huron . . . — Map (db m142178) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Huron — Legacy of the Huron DocksSelf-Unloaders / Boats that Came to Huron
Self-Unloaders. Business at the ore docks was strong through the 1970s. An all time record was set in 1979 when 151 boats shipped in 2,784,000 tons of ore. As higher grade iron-ore grew scarce it was replaced by lower grade taconite. It became . . . — Map (db m142291) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Huron — Legacy of the Huron DocksEarly Boats / Wooden Steam Ships and Barges / Bulk Freighters / Whalebacks
Early Boats. In the 1800s, schooners were the main cargo vessels of the Great Lakes, linking the growing towns of the Midwest with the East Coast. One of the largest schooners to sail the Great Lakes was built just a few miles up the Huron . . . — Map (db m142342) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Huron — 26-22 — Old Meeker Farm / Old Homestead-on-the-Lake
In 1837 Aaron Wright Meeker received 160 acres of Lots 26 and 32 from his parents Stephen and Polly Meeker, who originally came to the Firelands from Vermont. Heavily forested, A. W. cut the trees by hand to build a farm on what would become . . . — Map (db m141530) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Huron — 6-39 — Old Woman CreekA Feature of Ohio’s Estuaries
Old Woman Creek is one of the few naturally functioning estuary environments—places where chemically-distinct bodies of water meet and mix—left in the western basin of Lake Erie. This ecosystem features diverse habitats of marshlands, . . . — Map (db m142350) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Huron — The Firelands
The history of the Firelands is linked to the American Revolutionary War. During the British raids of 1777 and 1779 the Connecticut towns of Danbury, East Haven, New Haven, Fairfield, Norwalk, Greenwich, Groton, Ridgefield and New London were . . . — Map (db m150043) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Huron — 16-22 — The Huron Playhouse
Ohio’s oldest continuing summer theatre, the Huron Playhouse, has been housed at McCormick Middle School for its entire history. Dr. Frederick G. Walsh (1915-1999) of the Bowling Green State University (BGSU) Speech Department founded the . . . — Map (db m141596) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Huron — The Legacy of the Huron Docks1906 Dock Improvements / New Electric Coal Dumper 1937
1906 Dock Improvements. In the early 1900s the lake vessels were getting larger and needed more water and room to turn around when emptied. In 1906 the Army Corps of Engineers widened Huron Harbor from 120 to 180 feet and extended the west . . . — Map (db m142256) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Huron — The War of 1812
In 1812, fearing the outbreak of war with Great Britain and her Indian allies, many settlers left the area, and local militia companies began constructing blockhouses as places of refuge. Victims of Indian attacks included Michael Gibbs, Daniel . . . — Map (db m150452) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Huron — 11-22 — The Wright House and the Underground Railroad/Old Main Street
The Wright House and the Underground Railroad In the early 1800s, Jabez Wright, an early Huron County judge, purchased a large tract of lakeside land on the north side of what is now Cleveland Road. There Wright built an eight-room farmhouse . . . — Map (db m41809) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Huron — World War IIDedicated to Those Who Gave Their Lives — 1941 – 1945 —
Dedicated to those who gave their lives in World War II. William J. Brophy • Raymond A. Cherry • Richard W. Collins • Edward M. Cunningham • Richard D. Floyd • Valentine A. Fries, Jr. • Michael D. Holland • Irving J. Kehr • Robert G. Keller • . . . — Map (db m141640) WM
Ohio (Erie County), Kelleys Island — 29-22 — The German Reformed Church / The Church Parsonage — Old Stone Church —
The German Reformed Church was organized on Kelleys Island in 1865. The congregation built this church from island stone in 1866 on ½ acre of land purchased from Alfred S. and Hannah Kelley. By 1871, the congregation, one of five on the . . . — Map (db m142131) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Kelleys Island — 31-22 — The Island House
Datus and Sara Kelley built their home here in 1843, known as the Island House. It was located up the hill from the steamboat landing and across the street from the island store (the Lodge, 1854). In 1873, Jacob Rush bought the property and . . . — Map (db m142019) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Kelley's Island — Glacial Grooves State Memorial
Welcome to the Glacial Grooves State Memorial. This memorial, containing of three and one-half acres on Kelleys Island, has been administered by the Ohio Historical Society since 1932. Impressive is size and shape, these glacial grooves are of . . . — Map (db m28010) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Kelley's Island — Inscription Rock
Between three and four hundred years ago, Ohio pre-historic Indians, believed to be of the Erie tribe, pecked numerous inscriptions or pictographs on the top surface of this large native limestone rock. The figures, now nearly obliterated by the . . . — Map (db m28009) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Milan — 20-22 — Birthplace of Thomas A. Edison(1847-1931)
One of America's most prolific and important inventors, Thomas Alva Edison was born in this house in 1847. Designed by his father, Samuel Edison, a shingle maker by trade, this small gabled brick cottage was built in 1841. Though the Edisons moved . . . — Map (db m39911) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Milan — Edison Recalls Milan
My recollections of Milan are somewhat scanty as I left the town when I was not quite seven years old. I remember the wheat elevators on the canal, and Gay shipyard; also the launching of new boats, on which occasion the piece of land called the . . . — Map (db m90659) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Milan — Erie CountyAs part of “The Firelands of Ohio”
....had its origin in the Revolutionary War. Connecticut towns were burned in the historic raids of Benedict Arnold and British General Tyron. 500,000 acres in the Western Reserve were awarded by the Connecticut Assembly in 1792 to indemnify the . . . — Map (db m90656) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Milan — Milan
Birthplace of Thomas A. Edison, February 11, 1847. A Moravian village, Peguotting, 1804-1809. First permanent white settlers came in 1816. Milan village platted, 1817; incorporated February 23, 1833. Ships canal to lake completed July 4, 1839 made . . . — Map (db m90658) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Milan — 4-22 — Milan Canal Basin1839-1867
Milan was a leading Great Lakes port after the completion of the 3-mile Milan Canal in 1839. Center of activity was the Milan Basin at this site where produce was brought from area farms for shipment to lake and world ports through 14 warehouses by . . . — Map (db m39910) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — “The Early Birds”
Dedicated in memory of those early aviation pioneers “The Early Birds.” Between the years 1910-1917, aviators Weldone B. Cooke and Tom W. Benoist had aeroplane factories and flying schools in Sandusky which had a very important . . . — Map (db m141806) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — Cable Park Historic District
Erie County Fairgrounds — 1865-1899 Planned Residential Area developed 1905-1938 by Laurence Cable and sons, Fran and Edward — Map (db m150124) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — 17-22 — Cedar Point“The Queen of American Watering Places”
Cedar Point became a popular beach resort in the late 1870s, when visitors traveled to the peninsula by steamboat from Sandusky. The Grand Pavilion (1888), the oldest building in the park, dates from this era. Promoter George Boeckling formed the . . . — Map (db m3026) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — 3-22 — Cholera Cemetery / In Honor of the DoctorsIn Honor of the Doctors
Marker Front: Of the city's 5,667 people in 1849, 3,500 fled, and 400 of those remaining were victims of cholera. Most are buried here, some only in rough boxes in a common grave. The scourge came again in 1850 and 1852 but with less toll. . . . — Map (db m79100) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — Cooke-Dorn House
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historical Places" by the United States Department of the Interior. — Map (db m90652)
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — Donahue Hardware
This Property Has Been Placed On The National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m117808) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — 29-22 — Erie County Jail / Sandusky Library
The Erie County Jail was built in 1882-1883 in the Gothic style. Constructed of blue limestone, the $45,750 facility featured 26 cells, the sheriff’s residence, and boasted then modern innovations including chrome steel bars and safety . . . — Map (db m141925) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — 7-22 — Fort Sandusky
Erected by the British near this junction in 1761; destroyed during Pontiac's Conspiracy of 1763. The fort was strategically located near Indian towns and trading posts on the Great Indian trail between Detroit and Pittsburgh. — Map (db m20435) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — G.A. Boeckling Building
This building served as Cedar Point's winter offices from 1928 and after for Mr. Boeckling, the entrepreneur who first developed the resort into an amusement park. Because the Bay freezes in the winter, this site offered a convenient location to . . . — Map (db m117811) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — 5-22 — Good Samaritan Hospital
Good Samaritan Hospital was formed for the purpose of maintaining and operating an institution for the sick and injured. Under the direction of Rev. William W. Farr and Mr. C.C. Keech, the cornerstone was laid June 27, 1876. The hospital was . . . — Map (db m142163) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — 9-22 — Grace Episcopal Church
This building was begun in 1835 and was completed in 1844. It is the oldest church building in continual use in Sandusky and incorporates a portion of the original structure. This marker commemorated the one hundred fiftieth anniversary of the . . . — Map (db m79103) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — 30-22 — Holy Angels Catholic Church
Holy Angels Catholic Church is the mother church of Sandusky. Reverend Joseph P. Machebeuf, a French Missionary, began ministering to Catholics in the Sandusky area in late 1839. Soon after William H. Mills offered five lots, $530, and the . . . — Map (db m142162) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — Hubbard Building
Owned by Lester Hubbard, this Romanesque building was built in 1855 and was designed by architect Sheldon Smith who later occupied the 3rd floor. It was home to the Cosmopolitan Art and Literary Association, a national organization devoted to the . . . — Map (db m117809) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — Jay Cooke
Jay Cooke was born on this site August 10, 1821. Financier and promoter of The Northern Pacific Railroad, he sold bonds to finance the Union during the Civil War 1861-1865. — Map (db m117804) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — 23-22 — Jury of Erie County Women / Erie County Courthouse
"Jury of Erie County Women, First to be Impaneled Under Federal Suffrage" proclaimed the headline of the Sandusky Register on August 28, 1920. One of the first female Court of Common Pleas juries in the nation was impaneled in Erie County on August . . . — Map (db m79097) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — 8-22 — Kilbourne Plat
Hector Kilbourne, a Freemason and the surveyor who make the original plat of Sandusky (as Portland) in 1816, laid out the streets to form the Masonic emblem. Huron and Central Avenue are the arms of the compass, Elm and Poplar Streets the sides of . . . — Map (db m79104) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — Knute Rockne Wedding
Legendary University of Notre Dame Head Football Coach Knute Rockne married Bonnie Skiles of Kenton, Ohio in the rectory of Saints Peter and Paul Catholic Church on July 15, 1914. Father William F. Murphy officiated. The two met in the summer of . . . — Map (db m141931) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — 15-22 — Ohio Veterans HomeOhio Soldiers and Sailors home 1888-1979
Following the Civil War, many of Ohio's disabled and wounded veterans found inadequate provisions for their long-term needs. In response, the Grand Army of the Republic's Department of Ohio lobbied for a state-operated veterans' home. In 1886 . . . — Map (db m79101) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — 19-22 — Ohio Veterans HomeOhio Soldiers and Sailors home 1888-1979
Following the Civil War, many of Ohio's disabled and wounded veterans found inadequate provisions for their long-term needs. In response, the Grand Army of the Republic's Department of Ohio lobbied for a state-operated veterans' home. In 1886 . . . — Map (db m79102) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — 22-22 — Old Perkins Cemetery
Using the power of eminent domain, the United States Government purchased 9,000 acres of land in Perkins Township, Erie County, Ohio to build the Plum Brook Ordnance Plant in 1941, displacing many families and businesses. This tract included the . . . — Map (db m79099) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — 18-22 — Old Sandusky Post Office
This U.S. Post Office building, Sandusky’s third, opened in 1927, replacing a smaller building at Columbus Avenue and Market Street. It is notable for its fine Neoclassical-style architecture and its unusual curved portico. It was added to the . . . — Map (db m141801) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — Oran Follett
Residence of Oran Follett, 1798–1894. Editor – Railroad Official – Publisher Lincoln-Douglas Debates. A worthy Citizen. — Map (db m142007) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — SanduskyFounded 1817
An Indian camp formerly called Ogontz Place by Chief Ogontz of the Ottawa Tribe. Sandusky, founded 1817 by Hon. Zalmon Wildman, Judge Isaac Mills, George Hoadley. Incorporated 1824, Dr. George Anderson, Aaron C. Corbet, Cyrus W. Marsh, Alexander . . . — Map (db m142010) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — Sandusky / Erie County
Sandusky. • Early Indian village of Ogontz; also French & British trading post. • 1816 – platted as town of Portland; English version of Indian name, “San Dus Tee,” adopted in 1818. • First Connecticut . . . — Map (db m79098) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — Sandusky Aviation, Shipyard & Railroad
First Marker Weldon B. Cooke, Thomas W. Benoist, Reinhardt N. Asumus experimented in early aviation from this site 1912 - 1927.

Second Marker One of Sandusky Shipyard Sites Sail and Steamboats were built 1864-1933 Among the . . . — Map (db m90709) HM

Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — 6-22 — Sandusky’s First Congregation — 1818
The Methodist Episcopal Church pioneered organized religion in Perkins Township 1811, then in Sandusky when the Rev. Alfred Brunson preached the city’s first sermon in January, 1818. In 1829 the Methodists built Sandusky’s first church, on West . . . — Map (db m142005) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — Shoreline Park
Piers were in existence here as early as 1846. Later three long piers were built by the Baltimore and Ohio Railway for commercial use. Iron ore, grain, lumber, sand, crushed stone and packaged freight were shipped from this point. The B&O Railway . . . — Map (db m90708) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — State Theatre
Originally, this site housed the West House, a hotel which sometimes sheltered the guards for Johnson's Island, the Confederate officers' prison camp across Sandusky Bay. The building was erected by William F. Seitz and his sons as a complete . . . — Map (db m117810) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — The Boy with the Boot
The Boy with the Boot is the official symbol of the City of Sandusky. This statue is a replica of the 1895 original which stood in this fountain for many years. Produced by the J. W. Fiske Ironworks, New York City, the historic statue is now in the . . . — Map (db m141893) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — The Hinde & Dauch Paper Company
In 1862 James J. Hinde and Jacob J. Dauch established a baling business to sell straw to paper mills, and in 1886 they became partners in a bankrupt mill on Pierce Street then known as the Sandusky Paper Company. Under their leadership the company . . . — Map (db m90651) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — The Underground Railroad / Abolition Boats Provide an Escape to Freedom in Erie County
Marker Front: The Underground Railroad was neither underground nor a railroad, but a system of loosely connected safe havens where those escaping the brutal conditions of slavery were sheltered, fed, clothed, nursed, concealed, disguised, and . . . — Map (db m79108) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — This Concretion
This concretion was formed in sedimentary deposits over the ages. An unusually large specimen, it was found in 1911 on Mills Street and brought to this site at the behest of Professor E.L. Moseley, who was noted for his studies of Lake Erie and his . . . — Map (db m142013) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — Underground Railroad
Many homes in Sandusky and other parts of Erie County were stations on the Underground Railroad before and during the Civil War. Residents provided food, shelter, clothing, and transportation to Canada. Harriet Beecher Stowe used Sandusky as the . . . — Map (db m79105) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Sandusky — Village of Venice1816-1963
[Marker Front]: The first Venice flour mill was built on this site in 1822. Russell Heywood of Buffalo bought the mill in 1831 and rebuilt it in 1833. Fed by water from underground springs, the mill was in almost constant operation. . . . — Map (db m20476) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Vermilion — Days of Wooden ShipsWood Shipbuilding in Vermilion
Wooden shipbuilding thrived in sheds and shops that dotted the banks of the Vermilion River. Starting in early 1800s they turned out countless vessels that served a number of maritime industries; schooners used for fishing and carrying cargo; . . . — Map (db m149306) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Vermilion — Huron Iron Company Furnace
In the 1830s the Huron Iron Company Furnace was located two-tenths of a mile west of here. — Map (db m149729) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Vermilion — 25 - 22 — Lake Shore Electric Railway
At this site the Lake Shore Electric Railway crossed a bridge that spanned the Vermilion River. The western abutment of the former bridge is plainly visible just below along the river bank. Widely known as the "Greatest Electric Railway" in the . . . — Map (db m34561) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Vermilion — 27-22 — Lester Allan Pelton
Lester Allan Pelton, "the Father of Hydroelectric Power," was born on September 5, 1829, a quarter of a mile northwest of this site. He spent his childhood on a farm a mile south of this site and received his early education in a one-room . . . — Map (db m75629) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Vermilion — The Days of Steel BoatsSteel Shipbuilding in Vermilion
By 1920 it was apparent that the building material of choice was steel. Between 1920 and 1957 over 25 steel boats were built in Vermilion. The establishment of the American Ship Building Company in nearby Lorain and other supporting industries such . . . — Map (db m149457) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Vermilion — 2019 — The Lighthouse Lens
The lens in Vermilion’s lighthouse is powered by a single, 100-watt-equivalent LED bulb, no more than an ordinary household lamp. Yet its light reaches 10 miles out across Lake Erie. The technology that makes this possible was developed in the . . . — Map (db m147935) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Vermilion — Vermilion / Erie County
Vermillion. Founded 1808, incorporated 1837. • Settled by Connecticut “Firelanders.” • Name derived from red banks along river. • Old Indian Fort, up river, famous for giving protection to Vermilion Tribe and roving bands. . . . — Map (db m147774) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Vermilion — Vermilion’s LighthouseA History
At the time Vermilion became a village in 1837, the people had built their own navigational aid at the mouth of the river using wooden stakes topped with oil-burning beacons. In 1840, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers dredged the river . . . — Map (db m147951) HM

75 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement
May. 28, 2020