Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Gloucester County Virginia Historical Markers

 
Gloucester County Face of Marker image, Touch for more information
By J. J. Prats, November 5, 2016
Gloucester County Face of Marker
Virginia (Gloucester County), Batt — Z-9 — King and Queen County / Gloucester CountyArea 320 Square Miles / Area 223 Square Miles
King and Queen County. Formed in 1691 from New Kent, and named for King William III and Queen Mary. The family of George Rogers Clark long lived in this county. Gloucester County. Formed in 1651 from York, and named for Gloucester . . . — Map (db m99503) HM
Virginia (Gloucester County), Gloucester — NW-20 — Bethel Baptist Church
Bethel Baptist Church is one of the oldest African American congregations in Gloucester County. Founded nearby in 1867, it was originally known as the Old Sassafras Stage Church. Members of the congregation built a wooden structure here in 1889, . . . — Map (db m30098) HM
Virginia (Gloucester County), Gloucester — Q 10A — Cappahosic
Seven and one-half miles southwest is Cappahosic, where a ferry was established early in the eighteenth century. On the old charts, this indian district lay between Werowocomoco and Timberneck Creek. Powhatan is said to have offered it to Capt. John . . . — Map (db m7518) HM
Virginia (Gloucester County), Gloucester — Q 10B — Cappahosic
Here is Cappahosic, where a ferry was established early in the eighteenth century. On the old charts, this Indian district lay between Werowocomoco and Timberneck Creek. Powhatan is said to have offered it to Capt. John Smith for "two great guns and . . . — Map (db m30106) HM
Virginia (Gloucester County), Gloucester — Court House
County of Gloucester, VA. Re-erected 1766 on site of building destroyed by fire. Restored, remodeled and clerks office building added 1956. Carl M. Lindner & Son A.I.A. Architects, Richmond, Virginia Wray & Richardson, General Contractors, . . . — Map (db m7524) HM
Virginia (Gloucester County), Gloucester — NW-18 — Gloucester Agricultural and Industrial School
On this site stood the Gloucester Agricultural and Industrial School, commonly known as Capahosic Academy, a private high school built for African Americans before public high schools were available to them. Founded in 1888 by local alumni of . . . — Map (db m30104) HM
Virginia (Gloucester County), Gloucester — NA-1 — Gloucester Courthouse
The courthouse was built in 1766. The debtors prison is also old. A skirmish occurred near here between Confederate and Union cavalry, January 29, 1864. — Map (db m7520) HM
Virginia (Gloucester County), Gloucester — NW-21 — Gloucester Training School
Built on this site in 1921 the Gloucester Training School became the first public high school for African Americans in Gloucester County. Thomas Calhoun Walker, Jr. and others constructed a wooden building with gifts from the Rosenwald Fund and . . . — Map (db m30114) HM
Virginia (Gloucester County), Gloucester — In Memoriam John Clayton1685 - 1773
The Garden club, Gloucester, VA, planted a live oak tree, April 2, 1957 near old clerk's office on Court Green in honor of the internationally revered botanist and for 51 years, 1722-1773, Clerk of Gloucester County, VA. Scientiae Artis Herbariae Ac . . . — Map (db m7525) HM
Virginia (Gloucester County), Gloucester — Indian Princess Pocahontas1595 - 1616
of Weromocomoco Wicomico Gloucester County Virginia Sculpture by Adolf Sehring A.D.1994 — Map (db m7521) HM
Virginia (Gloucester County), Gloucester — N-66 — Marlfield
A mile and a half west is the site of Marlfield, an eighteenth-century dwelling built by the Buckner family. It was purchased in 1782 by William Jones, who gave the house its name. Jones was among the first Virginia planters to use marl in his . . . — Map (db m7515) HM
Virginia (Gloucester County), Gloucester — Pvt. James Daniel GardnerCivil War Congressional Medal of Honor Recipient
36th U.S. Colored Troops Sept. 16, 1839 - Sept. 29, 1905 Served during the Civil War as a private in Company 1, 36th United States Colored Troops. He was awarded the Medal of Honor for his bravery at the Battle of Chapins Farm, Virginia on September . . . — Map (db m7522) HM
Virginia (Gloucester County), Gloucester — NW-11 — Thomas Calhoun Walker(1862 - 1953)
Here lived Thomas Calhoun Walker, the first black to practice law in Gloucester County and a civil rights spokesman who vigorously advocated education and land ownership for blacks. Mr. Walker was elected for two terms to Gloucester's Board of . . . — Map (db m7582) HM
Virginia (Gloucester County), Gloucester — NA-3 — To Gwynn's Island
Two miles east is Toddsbury, home of the Todd family, built in 1722. Farther east, in Mathews County, are the old homes, Green Plains, Auburn, and Midlothian. Some miles beyond them is Gwynn's Island, where General Andrew Lewis drove the last royal . . . — Map (db m30111) HM
Virginia (Gloucester County), Gloucester — To the Confederate Dead of Gloucester
Erected by their surviving comrades and friends. Plant the fair column o'er the vacant grave, a soldier's honors let a soldier have. 1889 — Map (db m7527) HM
Virginia (Gloucester County), Gloucester — Walter Reed Birthplace
Dr. Walter Reed Conqueror of Yellow Fever born here 1851 given by The Medical Society of Virginia in 1968 to Association for The Preservation of Virginia Antiquities. — Map (db m30149) HM
Virginia (Gloucester County), Gloucester — NA-2 — Ware Church
A mile east is Ware Church, built about 1693. Near by is Church Hill, another relic of colonial days. Not far distant is White Hall, a colonial mansion built by the Willis family. — Map (db m30110) HM
Virginia (Gloucester County), Gloucester — NW-23 — Women Airforce Service Pilots (WASP)
The Women Airforce Service Pilots (WASP), including Gloucester resident Margaret Ann Hamilton Turner (1917-2009), transported and flight tested aircraft and towed targets for the U.S. military during World War II. More than 25,000 female pilots . . . — Map (db m63188) HM
Virginia (Gloucester County), Gloucester — NW-16 — Zion Poplars Baptist Church
Zion Poplars Baptist Church houses one of the oldest independent African-American congregations in Gloucester County. It is named for seven united poplar trees under which the founding members first met for worship in 1866. The church was erected . . . — Map (db m30107) HM
Virginia (Gloucester County), Gloucester — NW-17 — Zion Poplars Baptist Church
Zion Poplars Baptist Church houses one of the oldest independent African-American congregations in Gloucester County. It is named for seven united poplar trees under which the founding members first met for worship in 1866. The church was erected . . . — Map (db m34013) HM
Virginia (Gloucester County), Gloucester — Zion Poplars Baptist Church
The magnificent edifice known as Zion Poplars Baptist Church developed out of a West African-influenced religious practice known as a “brush arbor,” a clandestine religious meeting held in wooded areas or in remote cabins in wooded . . . — Map (db m34020) HM
Virginia (Gloucester County), Gloucester Courthouse — NA-10 — Gloucester Hall
Near here stood Gloucester Hall (built ca. 1660s), where Bacon’s Rebellion effectively ended with the fatal illness of its leader, Nathaniel Bacon, in 1676. In 1684, this house served as the first Virginia residence of Royal Governor Francis Howard, . . . — Map (db m74702) HM
Virginia (Gloucester County), Gloucester Courthouse — Gloucester in the Civil WarTarget of a Raid
Confederate authorities frequently stored arms and supplies in civilian warehouses, commercial buildings, and depots. County seats, with their commodious courthouses, jails, and offices, also were used, and Federal authorities routinely raided these . . . — Map (db m44389) HM
Virginia (Gloucester County), Gloucester Courthouse — The Birdsall Building
This building is dedicated to Dr. David E. Birdsall and his brother Gilbert, Dr. Alton G. Birdsall, Jr. This building housed their veterinary clinic from 1965 to 1979. Together with their partners and staff, they have offered . . . — Map (db m99488) HM
Virginia (Gloucester County), Gloucester Courthouse — NA-11 — Werowocomoco
The site of Werowocomoco is located nearby at Purtan Bay. This Algonquian Indian settlement was the center of power of the Powhatan paramount chiefdom when the English established James Fort in 1607. Captain John Smith was brought to Werowocomoco as . . . — Map (db m99485) HM
Virginia (Gloucester County), Gloucester Point — A Vital British Outpost at Gloucester Point
“They have one or two little works to preserve a communication with the Country.” American General Anthony Wayne describes the British defenses at Gloucester Point, 1781 In 1781, large armies and important events came to . . . — Map (db m18704) HM
Virginia (Gloucester County), Gloucester Point — After the Surrender at Yorktown
Near this place on October 19, 1781, a surrender occurred one hour after the Surrender at Yorktown. The British troops under Lieutenant Colonel Banastre Tarleton surrendered to the French Brigadier General M. de Choisy, Commander of the French . . . — Map (db m18697) HM
Virginia (Gloucester County), Gloucester Point — Attacking with “Decisive Vigor”The Battle of the Hook
“…the Cavalry…has attaqued them, pierced through and…have had a great advantage of them.” Duc de Choisy to George Washington, October 3, 1781 One of the largest cavalry battles of the Revolution was fought a few miles north . . . — Map (db m18706) HM
Virginia (Gloucester County), Gloucester Point — Classic Camp LifeThe Union Army Occupies Gloucester Point
“The name of our Fort is Fort Keyes, and it is strongly fortified. There is about 2000 men on this side of the [York] river and 2 batterys…” Private Stephen T. Buckson, 4th Delaware infantry Regiment, March 16, 1863, at Gloucester . . . — Map (db m18745) HM
Virginia (Gloucester County), Gloucester Point — NW-10 — Early Land Patent
Argoll Yeardley patented 4000 acres of land, known as Tyndall's Neck, here on the north side of Charles (now York) River, October 12, 1640. This was one of the first land patents north of the York River. — Map (db m18649) HM
Virginia (Gloucester County), Gloucester Point — Freedom is Won
"I have the mortification to inform your Excellency that I have been forced to give up the posts of York and Gloucester, and to surrender the troops under my command, by capitulation on the 19th instant, as prisoners of war to the combined forces . . . — Map (db m30142) HM
Virginia (Gloucester County), Gloucester Point — Gloucester PointAncient Defender of the York — 1862 Peninsula Campaign
The earthworks before you are the remains of the star-shaped “covering work” that helped to defend the York River against Union attack from 1861 to 1862. Tyndall’s (Gloucester) Point was first fortified in 1667 and was officially named . . . — Map (db m18642) HM
Virginia (Gloucester County), Gloucester Point — NA-9 — Gloucester Point
Known first as Tyndall's Point. The colonists built a fort here in 1667. In 1676 Bacon led his rebels across the river here. Tarleton and Dundas occupied the place in October, 1781, in the siege of Yorktown. Cornwallis planned to break through the . . . — Map (db m18643) HM
Virginia (Gloucester County), Gloucester Point — Gloucester PointThe 1781 Siege of Yorktown
“The works on the Gloucester side are in some forwardness, and I hope a situation to resist a sudden attack.” General Charles Lord Cornwallis to General Sir Henry Clinton, August 12, 1781. While the earthworks in front of you . . . — Map (db m18695) HM
Virginia (Gloucester County), Gloucester Point — Harvesting Nature's Bounty
Since before the arrival of European settlers, residents of Gloucester have been harvesting the bounty of the Bay. The waters are home to more than 2,700 species of plants and animals. Commercially important species are blue crabs, clams, oysters . . . — Map (db m30356) HM
Virginia (Gloucester County), Gloucester Point — Mother Nature Comes Calling
Fierce storms often pummel Gloucester Point. Offshore low-pressure systems rotating counterclockwise, generate strong northeasterly winds that hit the east-facing beach head-on. These "nor-easters" are not the only severe storms to visit Gloucester. . . . — Map (db m30145) HM
Virginia (Gloucester County), Gloucester Point — Natives, Explorers, Tobacco and BuccaneersThe Early History of Gloucester Point
“I made a draughte of our river…by us discovered.” Robert Tyndall to Henry, Prince of Wales In 1600, this tidewater land was part of a vast American Indian empire ruled by the Powhatan nation. English mariner and mapmaker . . . — Map (db m18703) HM
Virginia (Gloucester County), Gloucester Point — On to Richmond!McClellan Invades the Virginia Tidewater
“It is indispensable to you that you strike a blow...you must act.” President Abraham Lincoln to General George B. McClellan, April 6, 1862 The York River Confederate defenses were tested early in the Civil War. A large Union . . . — Map (db m18735) HM
Virginia (Gloucester County), Gloucester Point — Port of Call
Gloucester Point's geographic location has always been the county's tie to the Chesapeake Bay and beyond. In 1707, Gloucestertown was laid out on the bluff above the thriving tobacco port on the Point. In the days before the extensive road systems . . . — Map (db m30143) HM
Virginia (Gloucester County), Gloucester Point — Still Defending Virginia’s ShoresGloucester Point Today
“Seeking knowledge and solutions through coastal marine science.” Mission of the Virginia Institute of Marine Science When Robert Tyndall sailed past Gloucester Point in 1608, the York River and the Chesapeake Bay were . . . — Map (db m18746) HM
Virginia (Gloucester County), Gloucester Point — NA-7 — Tarleton's Last Fight
Here, at the Hook, Tarleton, commanding the cavalry of Cornwallis's army, fought an action with Choisy's French force and Virginia militia, October 3, 1781. The Duke de Lauzun's cavalry charged Tarleton, who retired to Gloucester Point. There he was . . . — Map (db m7584) HM
Virginia (Gloucester County), Gloucester Point — The British Safety ValveAn Attempted Escape from Gloucester Point
“Thus expired the last hope of the British army.” Colonel Banastre Tarleton On the night of October 16, 1871, after almost three weeks of the American-French siege, the British defenses at Yorktown were crumbling. In a last . . . — Map (db m18725) HM
Virginia (Gloucester County), Gloucester Point — To Get to the Other Side
Since Colonial times, travel across the York River at Gloucester Point has been an important part of daily life during peace and war. Until the middle of the Twentieth Century, ferries were the only method of making the transit. In 1952, the . . . — Map (db m30144) HM
Virginia (Gloucester County), Gloucester Point — Virginia Institute of Marine Science(VIMS)
Using science to… Increase oyster and clam production Model Bay dynamics Identify aquatic disease Reduce billfish by-catch Trace contaminants Understand food web production Increase blue crab populations Explore bottom . . . — Map (db m31623) HM
Virginia (Gloucester County), Gloucester Point — Virginia's First Shots in the Civil War
The Confederate army recognized that Gloucester Point was critical to Virginia's river defense. The Point had been continuously fortified since 1667. In an opening action of the Civil war, the first shots in Virginia were fired on May 3, 1861 . . . — Map (db m30117) HM
Virginia (Gloucester County), Gloucester Point — Welcome to Gloucester PointA Point for the Defense
You are standing at the entrance to Tyndall’s Point Park. These protected remains of a Civil War fort survive to help take us back into the history of Gloucester Point. Nearby, you will find signs and brochures explaining events that occurred here . . . — Map (db m18698) HM
Virginia (Gloucester County), Gloucester Point — Where North Meets SouthVirginia Fortifies Gloucester Point
“Just throw three or four shells among those blue-bellied Yankees and they’ll scatter like sheep.” Bravado from a North Carolina Confederate in May, 1861 Eighty years after the decisive events at Yorktown, a major war again . . . — Map (db m18731) HM
Virginia (Gloucester County), Hayes — NW-19 — Governor John Page
John Page, planter, scholar, and Revolutionary patriot, was born in 1743 at Rosewell, three miles west of here. He attended the College of William and Mary with Thomas Jefferson. The two men developed a lifelong friendship and shared an interest in . . . — Map (db m30115) HM
Virginia (Gloucester County), Hayes — Powhatan’s Chimney
According to Gloucester legend this chimney is all that remains of the house built by Captain John Smith for Indian Chief Powhatan in 1609 The collapse of this chimney in an 1888 storm gave impetus to the preservation movement in Virgina . . . — Map (db m46888) HM
Virginia (Gloucester County), Hayes — Woodville School
Woodville School is an important monument to Gloucester County and the African American community who strove to ensure quality education for their children in the early 20th century. Julius Rosenwald, president of Sears, Roebuck and Company, aided . . . — Map (db m30122) HM
Virginia (Gloucester County), Marfield — N-61 — Poplar Spring Church
Petsworth Parish, one of the four parishes of colonial Gloucester County, was established in the middle of the 17th century. The first parish church was located some four miles southwest near Purtan Bay on the York River. Across Route 17 were built . . . — Map (db m52645) HM
Virginia (Gloucester County), Marlfield — N 61 — Poplar Spring Church
This is the site of Poplar Spring Church of Petsworth Parish. In 1694, Old Petsworth Church was abandoned in favor of this church. It was considered the finest church of colonial Virginia. In 1676, the followers of Bacon, the Rebel, interred here a . . . — Map (db m116063) HM
Virginia (Gloucester County), Saluda — Z-99 — Middlesex County / Gloucester County
Middlesex County Area 146 Square Miles Formed in 1673 from Lancaster, and named for an English County. Rosegill, frequented by colonial governors, is here. Gloucester County Area 223 Square Miles Formed in 1651 from York, and named . . . — Map (db m7414) HM
Virginia (Gloucester County), White Marsh — NW-5 — Abingdon Church
This is the Third Church of Abingdon Parish and was erected in 1755 on the site of an earlier one. The parish, established between 1650 and 1655, had its first church near the river. — Map (db m2961) HM
Virginia (Gloucester County), White Marsh — NW-6 — Dr. Walter Reed’s Birthplace
Dr. Walter Reed, U.S. Army medical officer and bacteriologist, was born on 13 Sept. 1851 in a nearby cottage at Belroi. He received medical degrees from the University of Virginia medical school and Bellevue Hospital College in New York City. In . . . — Map (db m2967) HM
Virginia (Gloucester County), White Marsh — NW-22 — Fairfield
Two miles west stood Fairfield, also called Carter’s Creek plantation, one of the most distinguished of Virginia's early brick homes. Built about 1694 for Lewis Burwell(ca.1651–1710), the house was a grand T-shaped structure, with distinctive . . . — Map (db m2972) HM
Virginia (Gloucester County), White Marsh — NW-12 — Robert Russa Moton
Robert Russa Moton was born in Amelia County, Virginia, on 26 August 1867, and was educated in a local freeman’s school and at Hampton Institute(now Hampton University). He served as an administrator at the institute from 1890 to 1915, when he . . . — Map (db m5592) HM
Virginia (Gloucester County), White Marsh — NW-14 — Rosewell
Three miles west, on Carter’s Creek, stand the ruins of Rosewell, a grand mansion with the finest brickwork in the English colonies. Begun in 1725 by Mann Page I, and home to the Page family for more than one hundred years, Rosewell stood three . . . — Map (db m2973) HM
Virginia (Gloucester County), White Marsh — NA-8 — Rosewell and Werowocomoco
Several miles west is Rosewell, built about 1750, home of the Page family, and the largest of Colonial Virginia houses. On York River, probably at Puritan Bay some miles west of Rosewell, was Werowocomoco, Chief town of the Indian ruler Powhatan in . . . — Map (db m86199) HM
Virginia (Gloucester County), White Marsh — NW-13 — United Negro College Fund
Dr. Frederick D. Patterson founded the United Negro College Fund in 1944. He and the presidents of the member colleges of the Fund began meeting in 1946 at Holly Knoll, the retirement home of the late Robert Russa Moton. Patterson had established . . . — Map (db m5504) HM
Virginia (Gloucester County), White Marsh — NA-4 — Warner Hall
Three miles east is Warner Hall. The estate was patented about 1650 by Augustine Warner, who built the first house in 1674. Bacon, the rebel, was here for a time in 1676. The later house, built about 1740 and burned in 1849, has been beautifully . . . — Map (db m2963) HM

61 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.