Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Miami-Dade County Florida Historical Markers

 
Cocoanut Grove Public Utilities Company Marker image, Touch for more information
By Marsha A. Matson, October 11, 2014
Cocoanut Grove Public Utilities Company Marker
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Coconut Grove — Cocoanut Grove Public Utilities Company
The Cocoanut Grove Public Utilities Company was established in 1916 by William Matheson and his son Hugh to provide local residents with telephone and water services. A ground level storage tank, filled from wells on the site by two diesel engines, . . . — Map (db m77925) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Coconut Grove — F-405 — The Barnacle
The Barnacle is the oldest home in Dade County still standing on its original site. It was built in 1891 by Ralph Middleton Munroe, one of Coconut Grove's most prominent pioneers. He first visited South Florida in 1877 and moved to this area in . . . — Map (db m77536) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Coral Gables — F-408 — Alhambra Water Tower
This “lighthouse” which has never seen the sea, serves as a testament to Coral Gables’ early boom years, a time when everyday practical things could be turned into works of art. Built c. 1923, its design is credited to Denman Fink, . . . — Map (db m73629) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Coral Gables — Biltmore Hotel
Biltmore Hotel has been designated a National Historic Landmark This site possesses national significance
Map (db m75726) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Coral Gables — Coral Gables Congregational Church
George Merrick, the visionary behind the City of Coral Gables, founded Coral Gables Congregational Church in 1923, to honor his father, Solomon, a Congregational minister. The church was the first public building in Coral Gables. The Mediterranean . . . — Map (db m75731) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Coral Gables — F-455 — Coral Gables Merrick House
In July 1899, Congregational minister Solomon Greasley Merrick (1859-1911) and his wife Althea (1859-1937) purchased sight unseen the surrounding 160 acres for $1,100. Several months later, Merrick and his son George (1886-1942) came from . . . — Map (db m73631) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Coral Gables — Coral Gables Miracle Mile
Immediately after World War II, the "Father of Miracle Mile," George K. Zain and his wife, City Commissioner Rebyl Zain conceived, developed and implemented the concept of a Miracle Mile for the section of Coral Way between Douglas Road and Le Jeune . . . — Map (db m83130) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Coral Gables — F-453 — Coral Gables Waterway
When developer George Merrick (1886-1942) and the Coral Gables Corporation conceived the master plan for Coral Gables in the 1920s, the city's boundaries encompassed waterfront acreage allowing access to waterways. The original city boundaries went . . . — Map (db m74931) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Coral Gables — George E. Merrick1886-1942
"I have given my life to the development of our city and to the working out of an ideal." — Map (db m75996) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Coral Gables — George Edgar Merrick1886-1942
Dreamer, writer, poet, philosopher, lover of the beautiful - he made his dream become a reality in the creation of Coral Gables, City Beautiful. Dade County commissioner from 1914 to 1916. He advocated and promoted good highways and . . . — Map (db m99921) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Coral Gables — F-470 — Pinewood (Cocoplum) Cemetery
Pinewood (Cocoplum) Cemetery is the oldest designated cemetery in the Miami area and one of the oldest Coral Gables Historical sites. Adam and Rosa Richards deeded one acre of land on May 13, 1897 for 10 dollars to Wilson A Larkins, Arthur F. Lang . . . — Map (db m83128) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Coral Gables — Ruth Bryan Owen Waterway Park
Ruth Bryan Owen was the daughter of famed orator and Democratic presidential nominee William Jennings Bryan. She was born in Jacksonville, Illinois, on October 2, 1885. During World War I, she served as a nurse in the Egyptian-Palestine campaign. . . . — Map (db m82381) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Coral Gables — Site of Packing House of Coral Gables Plantation
Site of Packing House of Coral Gables Plantation established by Rev. Solomon Greasley Merrick Post in fig tree only evidence remaining — Map (db m73634) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Coral Gables — State of Florida Historic Roadway
Originally eight feet wide, Le Jeune Road was built by James D. Girtman (1874-1960). In addition to being a road builder, Mr. Girtman was also a successful grocer, fur trader, expert on Seminole culture, and fruit and vegetable grower. In 1902, Mr. . . . — Map (db m74932) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Coral Gables — F-543 — The Coral Gables Golf and Country Club
The Coral Gables Golf and Country Club and the Granada Golf Course, once the Merrick family’s vegetable field, were part of the original 1921 city plan by George Merrick and landscape architect, Frank Button. The golf course, designed by the . . . — Map (db m73630) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Coral Gables — F-612 — Troop 7 Log Cabin
When George Edgar Merrick (1886-1942) designed his idealistic City of Coral Gables in the early 1920s, he created a special area for scouts and built a rustic log cabin for his Troop 7 boy scouts on this site. Today, only the chimney remains. After . . . — Map (db m74784) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Coral Gables — U of M Opened Here
On this site, in an unfinished building originally intended for a hotel, the University of Miami registered its first students on October 15, 1926. It was twenty years before the university was able to begin the move to the site originally . . . — Map (db m74927) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Coral Gables — Venetian Pool
This pool was originally a quarry from which limestone was taken for the construction of early Coral Gables homes. In 1924, Denman Fink, artist-architect and uncle of Coral Gables founder George Merrick, transformed it into a unique pool resembling . . . — Map (db m74708) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Coral Gables — F-409 — Women Take Action in Coral GablesThe Roxcy O'Neal Bolton House 1965-1988
Built in 1933, this Mediterranean Revival house is a contributing structure in the Coral Gables Plantation Historic District, one of the earliest developments in the city planned by George Merrick. Throughout the late 1960s and the 1970s, this house . . . — Map (db m73632) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Cutler Bay — F-715 — Old Cutler Road
Old Cutler Road owes its name to the former town of Cutler, a farming community founded by William Fuzzard in the late 1800s. The town was named after Dr. William Cutler of Massachusetts who visited the area around 1880 and encouraged Fuzzard and . . . — Map (db m73635) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Florida City — F-739 — Operation Pedro PanOperación Pedro Pan
On this site, which was officially known as the Florida City Shelter of the Catholic Welfare Bureau’s Children’s Program, thousands of Operation Pedro Pan children found refuge from Communist Cuba between 1961 and 1966. Operation Pedro Pan was . . . — Map (db m71917) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Homestead — Cooper Residence
George H. Cooper, Sr. and his wife Virginia purchased this land in 1933. The Coopers moved this house, originally a much smaller wood frame structure, to this location. They hired a stone mason, Jack Herndon, who began and completed all of the . . . — Map (db m72977) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Homestead — Coral Castle
The United States Department of Interior has placed this property on the National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m83123) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Homestead — Dr. James Archer Smith House1936 — Local Historic Site
Dr. James Archer Smith House 1936 Local Historic Site — Map (db m73324) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Homestead — First Baptist ChurchCity of Homestead Historic Landmark
First Baptist Church has been designated a City of Homestead Historic Landmark This building, constructed in 1944, replaced a wooden structure constructed in 1912 at the same location. It is the only remaining neoclassical structure in downtown . . . — Map (db m73366) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Homestead — First United Methodist Church
Historic Site First United Methodist Church Dedicated November 25, 1951 Designated by the Historic Preservation Board of the City of Homestead, Florida 1992 — Map (db m73275) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Homestead — Historic Town HallNational Historic Landmark
Historic Town Hall has been designated a National Historic Landmark. This building was designed by Miami architect H. Hastings Mundy and built in 1917. As the Homestead Town Hall, it housed the City Fire Department, the Police Station and the . . . — Map (db m73367) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Homestead — Landmark Hotel
Historic Site Landmark Hotel 1916 — Map (db m73323) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Homestead — Lindeman-Johnson House1923 — Local Historic Site
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m73276)
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Homestead — Palm Lodge
Palm Lodge was built in 1912 for Colonel Henry Wallace Johnston, a hardware merchant from Lebanon, Kentucky. Col. Johnson planted an avocado grove and experimented with specimens of tropical fruits and flowers. One of his specialties was the . . . — Map (db m76497) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Homestead — Redland District
The Redland District, named for the color of its soil, was settled in the early 1900s. Dan Roberts, Claude Jenkins and George Kosel were the first pioneers to file homestead claims in Redland. The pioneer community was concentrated along Redland . . . — Map (db m73271) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Homestead — Redland Farm Life School
Redland Farm Life School was originally constructed in 1916 by the Dade County School Board on land donated by William Anderson. Dr. Hyram Byrd was the impetus for consolidating the one room schools in Goulds, Eureka, Modello, Princeton, Murray . . . — Map (db m76155) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Homestead — Silver Palm Historic District
The Silver Palm District named for the small silver-backed fronds that grew profusely in the surrounding pine forest, was the first area south of Cutler opened for settlement. In 1900, Charles Gossman, Charles Hill and William Anderson filed the . . . — Map (db m73327) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Homestead — The Hotel Redland
has been designated a City of Homestead Historic Landmark This building, built by W.D. Horne as the Homestead Inn, was originally constructed in 1904 and reconstructed several times after that. It served as a supply store and rooming house . . . — Map (db m73274) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Homestead — The Seminole TheaterCity of Homestead Historic Landmark
The Seminole Theater has been designated a City of Homestead Historic Landmark This building, originally constructed in 1921, was subsequently restored in 1940 with an Art Deco facade following a devastating fire. The theatre was mainly used as . . . — Map (db m73365) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Homestead — Walton House
W.K. Walton built this home circa 1919. Walton planted four acres of avocados and eventually established one of the first commercial avocado nurseries in south Dade. This wood frame, stucco covered residence is designed in the style of an English . . . — Map (db m72983) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Key Biscayne — Escaping to Freedom in the Bahamas
In the early 1820's, enslaved Africans, runaways, and "Black Seminoles" seeking freedom from slave catchers and plantation masters, secretly worked their way down to CAPE FLORIDA. They met with bold captains of sloops from the British Bahamas who . . . — Map (db m79723) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Key Biscayne — Homes That Hover
Stiltsville got its start in the 1930s, when "Crawfish" Eddie Walker set up a bait shop on the bay. The area takes its name from the houses built on stilts above the water. By the 1950s and 1960s, it was a popular gathering place for . . . — Map (db m79658) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Key Biscayne — Key Biscayne, The Barrier Island
Key Biscayne is a barrier island located at the north end of the reef-strewn Florida Straits. One thousand years before Columbus sailed, the Tequesta inhabited the island. These coastal fishermen navigated dugout canoes between the island . . . — Map (db m79666) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Key Biscayne — Let It Shine!
The Cape Florida Lighthouse stands today as a reminder of perseverance in the face of hardship. The Cape Florida Lighthouse was built to alert ships as they sailed near the dangerous reefs of the Florida Keys. Constructed in December . . . — Map (db m79720) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Key Biscayne — Lighthouse Keeper's Cottage
The original brick dwelling was completed in July 1825: a two story cottage with two rooms on each floor. The lower floor was dirt and the upper floor had only one small window on each end. The kitchen was attched to the back. The first lighthouse . . . — Map (db m80255) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Key Biscayne — U.S. Coast Survey Base Marker
In 1855, a U.S. Coast Survey team, led by A.D. Bache, the superintendent of the Coast Survey, erected two base markers on Key Biscayne. One is located on what is now the golf course. This one was on land 300 ft. south of the lighthouse, but by 1883, . . . — Map (db m79663) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — Brickell Park
The Brickell Family donated Brickell Park to Miami in 1921 as a preserve for the family mausoleum. Their remains are now in Woodlawn Cemetery. Brickell Park is one of the few parks connecting Brickell Avenue to the shoreline of Biscayne Bay. From . . . — Map (db m65647) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — Charles Avenue
The first black community on the South Florida mainland began here in the late 1880s when Blacks primarily from the Bahamas came via Key West to work at the Peacock Inn. Their first hand experience with tropical plants and building materials proved . . . — Map (db m75597) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — Dade CountyCreated Jan. 28, 1836, Named for Major Francis Langhorn Dade — 1784 - 1815
Born 1793 in Virginia. Joined 12th U.S. Infantry in 1813; Served with it thru War of 1812; In 4th Regiment rest of his life. Promoted from 3rd Lieut. to Major, Commanded garrison at Key West. In Seminole War was sent with 117 men to aid Gen. Clinch . . . — Map (db m88531) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — Dinner Key
Picnickers in sailboat days gave the key its name. In World War I, it was a Naval air base. In 1930, Pan American World Airways here inaugurated flying boat service to Latin America, erecting huge hangars and a terminal. The U.S. Government dredged . . . — Map (db m75186) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — Ferdinand MagellanU.S. Car No. 1
U.S. Car No. 1, Ferdinand Magellan has been designated National Historic Landmark Presidential railroad car built for the exclusive use of the President of the United States of America 1942 Restored and exhibited by The . . . — Map (db m73445) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — Fort Dallas and the William F. English Plantation Slave QuartersMiami River Greenway
The United States of America took possession of Florida from Spain under the terms of the 1821 Treaty of Paris. In 1830, the U.S. implemented the Indian Removal Act, forcing Seminole Indians south into the Miami and Everglades area. The Second . . . — Map (db m78126) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — Gesu Catholic Church
Founded in 1896 is officially listed on The National Register Of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m88527) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — Great Miami Hurricane of 1926
On September 18, 1926, the Great Miami Hurricane swept across South Florida with estimated winds of 131-155 mph. Before the era of satellites and computer models, warnings for tropical cyclones were often inadequate. A storm warning from . . . — Map (db m88533) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — Housekeepers Club
On Thursday afternoon, February 19, 1891, Flora McFarlane and five other pioneer women of Dade County founded the Housekeepers Club, the first organized women's club in South Florida. The purpose was to bring the housekeepers of the area together . . . — Map (db m75192) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — Impact of the "Bay of Pigs" on Miami
In the early months of 1961 Cuban refugees in Miami flew from Opa-Locka airport to Guatemala to become part of the almost 1300 men of Brigade 2506. The Brigade's Bay of Pigs Invasion on April 17,1961, resulted in defeat with over 100 men killed . . . — Map (db m87438) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — Lummus Park Historic DistrictMiami River Greenway
This land on the north side of the Miami River was developed as a residential area soon after the City Park opened in 1909. Along NW 3rd and NW 4th Streets a mixture of single-family and multi-family structures were built that were made of strong . . . — Map (db m78195) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — Mary Brickell Park
The Tequesta Indians were the indigenous people of Miami prior to European contact. Mary Brickell Park encompasses a portion of what was the largest Tequesta village in southeast Florida. Archaeological evidence reveals that this site was in use . . . — Map (db m65648) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — Menendez on Biscayne Bay1567
Don Pedro Menendez de Aviles, Adelantado of Florida and founder of St. Augustine, landed here at the chief village of the Tequesta Indians early in 1567. He returned several Indians held captive on the West Coast and established friendly relations . . . — Map (db m88324) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — F-788 — Miami City Cemetery
In 1897 Mrs. Mary Brickell sold this 10-acre “rocky wasteland” to the City of Miami for $750. It was a half mile north of the city limits on a narrow wagon county trail. The first burial, not recorded, was of an elderly black man on 14 . . . — Map (db m78119) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — Naval Air Station RichmondWWII L.T.A. Facility
At this site, on 15 September 1942, the United States Navy established a 2,000 acre (810 hectare) lighter-than-air facility. The Navy constructed 3 huge hangers, each 17 stories (175 feet/54 meters) high, 297 feet (110.5 meters) wide, and 1,088 feet . . . — Map (db m73415) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — F-561 — Pioneer Boat Builders' Site — 1947
For thousands of years most water crafts were built of wood. The first reinforced plastic fiberglass boats in the southeastern United States were conceived and built here in 1947. Two hundred feet north of this marker is the former home and workshop . . . — Map (db m77650) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — Ransom School
In 1896 Paul C. Ransom first brought students from an Eastern preparatory school to this site, which he named Pine Knot Camp, for a winter term of study and outdoor life. In 1903 it became the Adirondack-Florida School with the fall and spring terms . . . — Map (db m75217) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — Saving the Circle
The Miami Circle site would not exist today if it were not for the support of the community. Public outcry over the impending destruction of the Miami Circle led to additional archaeological research and preservation of the 2.2 acre parcel of . . . — Map (db m65471) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — Tequesta
Indians lived at the mouth of the Miami River (200 yards southwest of this spot) for more than 15 centuries before White men came. The principal town of the Tequesta Indians, including six mounds used for dwelling, burial, and religious rites, was . . . — Map (db m88322) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — The Art Deco Tower
This seven-story octagonal tower was built in 1929 as an entrance to the Sears Roebuck and Company department store, which was designed by the architectural firm Nimmons, Carr and Wright. It was the focal point of the first Art Deco style . . . — Map (db m63894) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — The Coconut Grove Library
The land on which this library stands was given by Commodore Ralph Middleton Munroe, whose first wife lies buried on it. The library was started by a writer, Kirk Munroe (no relation) and his wife, Mary Barr Munroe, as a reading group called . . . — Map (db m75209) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — The Cushman School
Miami's oldest independent day school was founded by Dr. Laura Cushman in 1924. The school moved to this site in 1926, opening in early October, having sustained only minor damage from the disastrous September hurricane. The original Mediterranean . . . — Map (db m77831) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — The Dice House
The Dice House is the oldest surviving structure in the Kendall area, built circa 1920 by David Brantly Dice, a popular figure considered the “unnamed mayor of the community”. Mr. Dice owned and operated a general store on property . . . — Map (db m76498) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — The Historic Coconut Grove Cemetery
The Historic Coconut Grove Cemetery was first used as a graveyard for the Grove's Bahamian settlers in 1906. The community's original cemetery was a small lot opened by the city in 1904 on what is now the 3500 block of Charles Avenue. That site was . . . — Map (db m75600) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — The Miami Circle
On this spot of land at the mouth of the Miami River, a historic discovery shed new light on one of Florida's early peoples - the Tequesta. During the demolition of the Brickell Point apartments in 1998, archaeologists uncovered preshistoric . . . — Map (db m65644) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — The Miami Circle at Brickell Point
The Miami Circle at Brickell Point has been designated a National Historic Landmark This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America. The Miami Circle is a 38-foot diameter ring of post . . . — Map (db m65646) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — The People of Brickell Point
Brickell Point has been host to many cultures and witness to a number of historical milestones. The powerful Tequesta Indians made their main village at the mouth of the Miami River for over two thousand years. Abundant natural resources . . . — Map (db m65645) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — The Tower of SnowEnrique Martínez Celaya — American (born in Cuba, 1964)
2012, Bronze 132 x 89 x 64 in. The Tower of Snow by distinguished Cuban-born artist Enrique Martínez Celaya honors the 50th anniversary of Operation Pedro Pan, which brought thousands of Cuban children, without their parents, to the United States in . . . — Map (db m71941) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — F-573 — Virginia Key Beach Park
Virginia Key Beach Park is an environmental and historic landmark located on a barrier island. Its earliest recorded history is of an 1838 skirmish during the Second Seminole War in which three Seminoles were killed on this site. From the early . . . — Map (db m79381) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — 70000181 — Vizcaya
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m63817) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — Wagner HomesteadMiami River Greenway
This 1850s structure is the oldest standing house in Miami-Dade County. It was built by William Wagner, a German immigrant and U.S. Army veteran. After being wounded in the Mexican-American War in 1847, Wagner returned to Fort Moultrie, Georgia to . . . — Map (db m78192) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami Beach — Barefoot Mailman
In the 1800s, mail was often carried between the coastal communities of South Florida by barefoot mailmen. These carriers walked most of the route barefoot on the firm sand near the water's edge. In the 1880s, the U.S. government established . . . — Map (db m77644) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami Beach — Biscayne House of Refuge
Near this site stood the Biscayne House of Refuge to save survivors of shipwrecks from the perils of the desolate shore. After every storm, the keeper and his family searched the beach for castaways to furnish them food, clothing, shelter, and a . . . — Map (db m75990) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami Beach — 80000946 — Congregation Beth Jacob
Congregation Beth Jacob has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior October 16, 1980 Additional marker: This property as Beth Jacob Congregation was placed on the National . . . — Map (db m63861) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami Beach — F-468 — Haulover Beach Sport Fishing Docks(1926-1951)
(side 1) The originally known Lighthouse Dock, once at this site, marked the beginnings of this area's fame as a sportsman's paradise. Folklore and history relate that a man named Baker (c. 1810) “hauled over” fishing boats . . . — Map (db m75994) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami Shores — Biscayne
In the early 1870s, William H. Gleason and William H. Hunt moved up the bay from Miami and founded the community of Biscayne. They brought with them the Miami Post Office, renaming it the Biscayne Post Office. Since the Dade County Court was . . . — Map (db m77649) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), North Miami — Arch Creek
Until 1973, when it collapsed, the forty foot natural bridge of oolitic limestone that spanned Arch Creek was one of South Florida's earliest landmarks. Prehistoric Indians occupied this site hundreds of years before European exploration. In the . . . — Map (db m77645) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), North Miami — Arch Creek Bridge
The natural limestone that once spanned the Arch Creek served as a crossing place for prehistoric Tequesta Indians, Seminole War soldiers and early pioneers. It was a natural wonder of great beauty and a scenic gathering place from which eventually . . . — Map (db m100667) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), North Miami — F-469 — Arch Creek Road Military Trail
The Arch Creek State Archaeological Site was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1985. It contains a portion of the Military Trail, a wagon road, built during the Third Seminole War (1855-1859) by the U.S. Army. In 1856 Captains . . . — Map (db m77648) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Palmetto Bay — Chinese Bridge
In 1918 Charles Deering constructed this bridge to cross Cutler Creek on the way to his retirement home. At the time this accessway was called "Old Cutler Road". Deering relocated it from its original location inside the natural areas of his . . . — Map (db m79320) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Palmetto Bay — The Deering Estate at CutlerEstablished 1890
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1986, the Deering Estate at Cutler is a 444 acre environmental, archaeological, historical and architectural preserve owned by the State of Florida and managed by the Miami-Dade County Park . . . — Map (db m73439) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Palmetto Bay — F-215 — The Perrine Land Grant
(side 1) In 1838, the United States Congress granted a township of land in the southern extremity of Florida to noted horticulturist Dr. Henry Perrine and his associates. This land was to be used in experiments aimed at introducing foreign . . . — Map (db m73442) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Palmetto Bay — The Town of Peters
The town of Peters, no longer recognized, was named after the “Tomato King,” Thomas J. Peters, who moved to this area in 1895. His tomato growing and packing business was the area's first million dollar enterprise and Peters was the . . . — Map (db m71663) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Pinecrest — Historical Entrance Building
The world famous Parrot Jungle tourist attraction was founded by Franz Scherr and opened on this site in 1936. This building was the original entrance and became the attraction's signature structure. It was constructed of Dade County pine and had a . . . — Map (db m73326) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Pinecrest — Pinecrest Gardens"Parrot Jungle Historic District"
This property has been listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior 2011 Barack Obama President of the United States Ken Salazar Secretary of the Department of the Interior . . . — Map (db m73278)
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Pinecrest — Special Agent Jerry Dove, Special Agent Benjamin Grogan
The Pinecrest Village Council dedicated this portion of Southwest 82 Avenue on 15th day of May, 2001, in memory of these two FBI agents who gave their lives in the line of duty during a gun battle at this site on April 11, 1986. — Map (db m74958) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Pinecrest — Veterans Wayside Park
Re-dedicated by the Pinecrest Village Council on November 12, 2007 in recognition of the honorable men and women who have served in the Armed Forces of the United States of America. — Map (db m73325) WM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Pinecrest — Whilden-Carrier Cottage
This cottage is typical of the pioneer dwellings built by homesteaders who settled in rural Dade County during the early 1900s through 1930s. It belonged to Carl Whilden, chief foreman at Fairchild Tropical Garderns. Whilden built the cottage in . . . — Map (db m79655) HM

90 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.