Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Sussex County Delaware Historical Markers

316 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 116
 
Addy I image, Touch for more information
By Devry Becker Jones, May 16, 2020
Addy I
Delaware (Sussex County), Bethany Beach — Addy ICirca 1901
The first of 5 houses built by John M. Addy of Pittsburgh, PA. It later became "Williams Inn," renting room from the 1930's until 1975. — Map (db m150143) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Bethany Beach — SC-158 — Bethany Beach Loop Canal
Completed July 8, 1910, the Loop Canal marked the end of a long journey for vacationers traveling to Bethany Beach in the town’s early days. Arriving in Rehoboth by railroad, travelers would continue their voyage by boat, crossing Rehoboth and . . . — Map (db m37155) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Bethany Beach — Bowling Alley"Gone but not forgotten"
Built in 1930 by Thomas Granville Walston and his wife Minnie Ann and located on the boardwalk between First and Second Streets. Later owned and operated by their daughter and son-in-law, Zada and Bill Wilgus who occupied the apartment above. It . . . — Map (db m150140) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Bethany Beach — Charles W. Cullen BridgeIndian River Inlet
The present inlet was formed in 1929 and was widened and stabilized by the Corps of Engineers from 1938-1940. The first three bridges that spanned the inlet were plagued by a series of failures due to environmental and meteorological conditions. . . . — Map (db m108109) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Bethany Beach — Drexler HouseCirca 1905
Built by Senator Louis Drexler, Pittsburgh, PA. Moved back from the beach 3 times. A 2nd floor balcony surrounds the living room. — Map (db m150145) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Bethany Beach — Errett Cottage
Built in 1903 by William R. Errett, Pittsburgh, PA, one of the "Six First Families." Its original design has been maintained and is the only one of the first cottages still in the same family. — Map (db m150144) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Bethany Beach — Lattimer Cottage
Originally owned by Robert Lattimer, whose will bequeathed the house to Ethel Palmer and Caroline Sloan on condition they remain unmarried. As Caroline Sloan eventually married, Ethel Palmer became heir to the home that has continued to remain in . . . — Map (db m150142) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Bethany Beach — Ringler's Theatre"Gone but not forgotten"
Built in 1923 by Raymond Ringler at this location. Movies were shown, accompanied by refreshments, followed by dancing to the music of a local band. Destroyed during the storm of 1944, it was later replaced by the "Blue Surf" motel until 2008. — Map (db m150138) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Bethany Beach — Seaside Inn"Gone but not forgotten"
Built in the early 1900's at 2nd Street and the beach by R.R. Bulgin, a Disciples of Christ Preacher and named the Bellevue-Atlantic Hotel. 1915 purchased by John Addy and renamed Seaside Inn. Subsequent owners Cal and Alice Jagger provided room and . . . — Map (db m150141) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Bethany Beach — SC-73 — Shipwreck of the Faithful Steward
The Faithful Steward, bound from Londonderry, Ireland to Philadelphia, ran aground on a shoal September 1, 1785 with 249 passengers aboard. Stormy weather drove the vessel toward shore where it became stranded in 4 fathoms (24 feet) of water within . . . — Map (db m108226) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Bethany Beach — Townsend House
Built in the mid-1920's by Priney Townsend, Ocean View, DE. In 1950 the house was turned 180° and a full length deck facing the ocean was added. — Map (db m150146) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Bethany Beach — Warren's Restaurant"Gone but not forgotten"
The first restaurant on Bethany's boardwalk. Built in 1933 and destroyed by fire in 1953. Became the Holiday House under owners Karl Klais and James Popham who rebuilt again after the storm of 1962. 1984 owned by Arnold Brown it became the first . . . — Map (db m150139) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Bethany Beach — You Are Not ForgottenPOW★MIA
Since World War I, more than 92,000 American soldiers are unaccounted for. This unoccupied seat is dedicated to the memory of these brave men and women and to the sacrifices each made in serving our country. God Bless You. God Bless . . . — Map (db m150137) WM
Delaware (Sussex County), Bethel — S-79 — Bethel Shipyard
With the incorporation of the Lewisville Marine Railway Company in 1871, Bethel’s reputation as a center for ship repair and construction was firmly established. Approximately 40 vessels were built here before the last ship was launched in . . . — Map (db m60463) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Bethel — SC-191 — Sailor's Bethel Methodist Church
The roots of this congregation can be traced to 1809, when a house of worship was constructed to serve the needs of the many residents of this area who were members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. First known as Elzey Moore’s Meeting . . . — Map (db m60464) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Blades — Armed Forces Memorial
. . . — Map (db m138275) WM
Delaware (Sussex County), Blades — SC-100 — Blades United Methodist Church
Formerly known as Cannon's Chapel, the first church building was constructed in the early 1870's on East High Street (then known as Concord Road). The Church was incorporated on July 16, 1877. In 1887, the Trustees of the Church purchased land at . . . — Map (db m4536) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Blades — SC-246 — Town of Blades
Situated on the banks of the Nanticoke River, the town of Blades was first known as "Bladesville" and named for the Blades family. James Blades, an early railroad pioneer, purchased a tract of land which extended to present day High and Market . . . — Map (db m138274) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Bridgeville — Bridgeville, Delaware
Settled in 1684 by Christopher Nutter Through a land grant from Charles Calvert, The third Lord Baron of Baltimore Originally referred to as "Attawattacoquin" Later known as "Bridge Branch" until January 3, 1871, . . . — Map (db m50178) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Bridgeville — SC-209 — Chaplain's Chapel United Methodist Church
Methodism came to this area in the late 18th century when pioneering circuit riders such as Francis Asbury visited local residents to spread the message of their faith. The origin of this congregation can be traced to 1859, when the members of two . . . — Map (db m38655) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Bridgeville — SC-200 — Edward Redfield
Landscape painter Edward Willis Redfield was born near Bridgeville, Delaware on December 19, 1869. After studying in Philadelphia and Paris he moved to Buck’s County, Pennsylvania, where he became leader of a colony of artists called the New Hope . . . — Map (db m38654) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Bridgeville — SC-268 — Jack Lewis
John I. "Jack" Lewis (1912-2012) moved to Delaware in 1936 as an artist with the Civilian Conservation Corps tasked with documenting activities at CCC camps in the state. After serving in the Pacific with the U.S. Army during World War II, he . . . — Map (db m150089) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Bridgeville — Old Bridgeville Firehouse
Old Bridgeville Firehouse has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior [Additional plaque:] Old Bridgeville Fire House Built - 1911 . . . — Map (db m150083) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Bridgeville — S. 50 — Seaford Hundred
Detached from Northwest Fork Hundred by Act of General Assembly, 1869. Northwest Fork Hundred, originally claimed by Maryland, then embraced all territory west of Northwest Fork. Delaware obtained undisputed title in 1775, upon . . . — Map (db m48997) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Bridgeville — SC-132 — Site of Jacobs School #143
In 1863 the Sussex County Levy Court formally approved the creation of a new school district to serve the needs of local citizens. A frame schoolhouse was constructed on this site on land provided by Thomas Jacobs. Measuring twenty feet in width and . . . — Map (db m4537) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Bridgeville — Sudler House
Erected about 1750, with additions during the Federal period. Land was granted to Cacilus Stevens in 1658. Francis Asbury preached here. William Jessop, an early occupant, was a pioneer Methodist missionary in Canada. From 1833 to 1971 the Sudler . . . — Map (db m38653) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Clarksville — SC-190/141 — Blackwater Presbyterian ChurchAmerican Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
In The 17th century, the colony of Maryland was founded as a refuge for Catholics and members of other religious faiths then subject to persecution. Many of the early settlers of this region, then a part of Maryland, were Presbyterians who had been . . . — Map (db m122258) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Clarksville — SC-109 — St. George's United Methodist Church
The roots of this congregation can be traced to the late 1700’s, when Methodist pioneers such as Francis Asbury and Freeborn Garrettson visited this area to propagate the faith. Meetings were held in the open air and in private residences. By 1816 a . . . — Map (db m38381) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Clarksville — SC-119 — Union Wesley United Methodist Church and Campground
The roots of African-American Methodism in this area can be traced to the late 18th century when Methodism pioneers such as Francis Asbury and Freeborn Garrettson traveled locally organizing black “classes” for worship. Over time some . . . — Map (db m37844) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Cross Keys — SC 98 — Carey's Camp
By the late eighteenth century a Methodist Society had been organized in this area. In 1888, two years after the construction of Carey’s Church, the first official Carey’s Camp Meeting was held in the grove adjoining the church. These . . . — Map (db m48565) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Cross Keys — Carey's Camp
Carey's is one of the few campgrounds still in existence on the Delmarva Peninsula. * The Tabernacle where the Evangelistic services are held each summer is encircled by 47 tents, occupied only during camp. * Many changes have been made over . . . — Map (db m49791) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Dagsboro — S-23 — Baltimore Hundred
Prior to 1775 this hundred was claimed as part of Worchester County, Maryland being named for Lord Baltimore. After boundary line between Maryland and Delaware was confirmed, Baltimore Hundred became part of Sussex County, Delaware. — Map (db m37404) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Dagsboro — SC-59 — Dagsboro
Settled at the site of a gristmill on Pepper Creek, this village was originally known as Blackfoot Town. The present name of the community is derived from that of John Dagsworthy. A New Jersey native who moved to this area in the mid- 18th . . . — Map (db m37239) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Dagsboro — SC-113 — Hickory Hill Methodist Church
For many years local Methodists were forced to travel a considerable distance to attend services. In 1873, Houston’s School House was established as a preaching place within the local circuit. The success of this effort stimulated interest . . . — Map (db m61105) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Dagsboro — SC-118 — Prince George's Chapel
Before the settlement of the boundary dispute between Delaware and Maryland, this area was considered to lie in Maryland. On July 5, 1755, responding to the request of members of the Church of England residing in the upper portion of Worcester . . . — Map (db m39556) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Delmar — Delmar War Memorial1941-1945
In memory of our comrades who died for freedom in World War II

John G. Cropper • George C. Curdy • Harold E. Dutton • Roland Galusha • Howard E. Hastings • Robert B. Hayman • George Kerekesh • Calvert A. Legates • Ralph McCain • Harry Neill • . . . — Map (db m39782) HM

Delaware (Sussex County), Delmar — S-69 — Highball Signal
Signals of this type were used on early railroads to control train movements. When the track was clear, the station agent would hoist the ball, permitting the train to proceed. The signal is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. — Map (db m39780) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Delmar — SC-103 — Town of Delmar
The town of Delmar was established soon after the Delaware Railroad reached this area in 1859. Although fire devastated Demare in 1892 and 1901, the town continued to build and grow. Incorporated on March 9, 1899, Delmar became known as the . . . — Map (db m3865) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Dewey Beach — Indian River Inlet and BridgeNature vs. Technology
The Indian River Inlet has not always existed in its current location. This barrier beach environment is dynamic, and the opening to the inlet has opened and closed at different locations. When the inlet closed, navigation, water quality, . . . — Map (db m150130) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Dewey Beach — Sand Bypass SystemCreating Balance
There is an ocean current that moves sand parallel to the coast known as the "littoral drift" or "longshore current." Along most of coastal Delaware, this current moves in a northward direction. As it moves north, it moves sand. There is so much . . . — Map (db m150128) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Dewey Beach — Standing Guard
Built from 1939 to 1942, the 11 concrete observation towers along Delaware's coast were built to protect the shores during World War II - and to last about 20 years. They are still standing after 60 years. The towers were the eyes for the guns of . . . — Map (db m68875) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Dewey Beach — United States Life-Saving ServiceStruggles with the Sea
In the 1870s, the United States Life-Saving Service (USLSS) was established to aid the victims of shipwrecks on American shores. The service featured a network of stations, with seven or eight men — called surfmen — who . . . — Map (db m150127) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Ellendale — SC-184 — Ellendale's Railroad Square
Ellendale’s Railroad Square was a major rail junction and a beehive of economic activity in Sussex County. The first section of the Junction and Breakwater Railroad from Harrington to Milford was completed in 1859. In March 1860, the Company’s . . . — Map (db m38647) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Ellendale — SC-198 — Town of Ellendale
This area began as forest and swamp bridging the Divide between the Chesapeake and Delaware Bays. European Contact made it a province of fur traders and hunters. In the 18th century, farming and timbering pushed back the swamp. With the . . . — Map (db m37196) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Fairmount — SC-122 — Indian Mission United Methodist Church
In 1881 the Nanticoke Indian people constructed this church to provide a place to join for religious devotions. Known as “Johnson’s Chapel,” the church was affiliated with the Methodist Protestant denomination. On March 27, 1884, . . . — Map (db m37564) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Fenwick Island — Fenwick Island Lighthouse
On December 29, 1858, the Lighthouse Board issued the following announcement: “Notice to Mariners New Light-House at Fenwicks Island, Delaware” Notice is hereby given that the new tower at Fenwicks Island, Delaware, is . . . — Map (db m63345) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Fenwick Island — Mason and Dixon Line-Survey Start
This is the marker from which Charles Mason and Jeremiah Dixon started the survey for the famous Mason-Dixon Line that separates Delaware from Maryland, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey.

This marker was settled in 1750 by John Emory and Thomas . . . — Map (db m95336) HM

Delaware (Sussex County), Fenwick Island — The History of the Lighthouse
The Fenwick Island Lighthouse was listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the Department of Interior in 1979 in recognition of its significance of the rich maritime history of Delaware. In 1852, responding to pressure to improve . . . — Map (db m63347) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Frankford — SC-93 — Antioch Camp Meeting
A " Society of the African Methodist Episcopal Church was established in this area by the 1830's. The first church was purchased in 1857. On February 28, 1890 land was purchased at this site for the purpose of construction of a new church. Annual . . . — Map (db m37323) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Frankford — SC-137 — Frankford United Methodist Church
In 1819, a group of Methodists purchased a parcel of land north of present-day Frankford. A frame chapel was erected, and on March 4, 1820, the members of the congregation met there to elect trustees and formally organize themselves as Antioch . . . — Map (db m37256) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Georgetown — SC-86 — “Pettijohn’s Old Field”
The future home of Sussex County’s seat of government was a sparsely populated rural area when the 76 acres which would become the Town of Georgetown were purchased on May 9, 1791. Located “near the centre” of the country at a place . . . — Map (db m423) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Georgetown — SC-95 — Academy / Masonic Hall
In 1827 the Delaware legislature authorized a lottery for the purpose of funding the construction of “an Academy and Masonic Hall.” Land was purchased in 1840, and construction commenced the following year. The building was formally . . . — Map (db m427) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Georgetown — SC 151 — Cokesbury Church
A Methodist meeting house was erected nearby circa 1803. In December of that year, the lot on which the building stood was conveyed to trustees on the condition that they finish and maintain the structure as a church and school. The . . . — Map (db m49023) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Georgetown — Delaware Confederate War Memorial
Base inscription-erected by the United Daughters of the Confederacy Caleb Ross Chapter #2635 and the Sons of Confederate Veterans, Delaware Grays Camp #2068. Front text-not legible, back text-not legible, side text-Smith Gilley, Confederate Army, . . . — Map (db m105569) WM
Delaware (Sussex County), Georgetown — S 76 — Delaware Technical and Community College
Site of the first community college in the State of Delaware. Formerly William C. Jason High School, this college was created by the Delaware General Assembly in 1966 and opened the doors to students in September 1967. Because of its central . . . — Map (db m49022) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Georgetown — SC-96 — General Alfred T.A. Torbert
Born in Georgetown on July 1, 1833, Torbert attended local schools prior to his appointment to the West Point Class of 1855. After the outbreak of the Civil War he rose rapidly in rank, serving as a regimental and brigade commander of New Jersey . . . — Map (db m39375) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Georgetown — S-72 — George Alfred Townsend Birthplace
George Alfred Townsend, famous Civil War newspaper correspondent, journalist and author, was born on this block on January 30, 1841. Townsend’s novels and poetry reflect his deep love for his native region. His best-known historical novel, The . . . — Map (db m38692) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Georgetown — SC-46 — Georgetown
Site of town purchased May 9, 1791 from Abraham Harris, Rowland Bevins,and Joshua Pepper, and laid out for county-seat of Sussex County in accordance with Act of General Assembly of January 29, 1791. Named Georgetown in honor of George Mitchell, . . . — Map (db m49083) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Georgetown — SC-170 — Georgetown Fire Company
On April 11, 1903, the commissioners of the Town of Georgetown held a public meeting to organize a fire company for the community. The effort was in response to the demands of businessmen and homeowners who had experienced rising insurance . . . — Map (db m48860) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Georgetown — SC- 133 — Georgetown Presbyterian Church
In 1859 a petition was submitted to the Lewes Presbytery requesting the creation of a Presbyterian Church in Georgetown. The congregation was organized the following year. Meetings were first held in the Sussex County Courthouse. The . . . — Map (db m48861) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Georgetown — SC-193 — Georgetown Train Station
In 1857 efforts to extend a rail line from Harrington to the harbor at Lewes were initiated. Though the line was completed to Milford in 1859, additional work was delayed until 1867. By 1868 the rails had reached Georgetown. With extension of the . . . — Map (db m38697) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Georgetown — SC-142 — Grace United Methodist Church
In the spring of 1891, Rev. Louis A. Bennett was directed to establish a Methodist Protestant Church in Georgetown. His efforts were successful, and a frame church was completed the following year on the northwest corner of East Market and King . . . — Map (db m49013) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Georgetown — Joseph T. Adams HouseBuilt in 1868
Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior Plaque placed Return Day 2000 — Map (db m38695) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Georgetown — Old Courthouse
Constructed in 1791 at the direction of the State Legislature, this structure served as the seat of Sussex County government until 1837, when it was sold and moved to this location to make way for the construction of the present County Courthouse. . . . — Map (db m38685) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Georgetown — SC-107 — Prospect A.M.E. Church
The roots of African-American Methodism in this community can be traced to the organization of a black “class” within the local Methodist society in the 1790’s. By the 1830’s a group of residents had affiliated themselves with Bishop . . . — Map (db m49017) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Georgetown — SC-88 — Relocation of the County Seat
The conflicting claims of the proprietors of Maryland and Pennsylvania resulted in a lengthy and sometimes violent dispute concerning the ownership and boundaries of Sussex County. Residents who had been Marylanders before the controversy was . . . — Map (db m424) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Georgetown — SC-85 — Return Day
This event draws thousands as winning and losing candidates joining in celebration on the Thursday following each general election. Poor traveling conditions and interest in the outcome of political contests may have resulted in an extended stay . . . — Map (db m426) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Georgetown — SC-101 — St. Paul's Protestant Episcopal Church
Incorporated on June 21, 1794, St. Paul’s P.E. Church is the oldest organized church in Georgetown. Prior to completion of the first church building, services were held in the Sussex County Courthouse. In 1805, a special lottery sanctioned . . . — Map (db m49011) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Georgetown — SC-87 — Sussex County Courthouse
In 1835 a lottery was authorized to raise funds to replace the frame structure which had served as Courthouse since 1791. Construction of the new building began in 1837 following the sale and relocation of the original Courthouse to its present site . . . — Map (db m425) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Georgetown — Sussex County Korean War Memorial
In Honor and Memory of All Korean War Veterans Who Served and Died for Freedom

LeRoy M Cook • Vernon L. Deshields • Gene O. Hanzer • Kenneth C. Hyslop • Laurence C. Layton • William A. Lockwood • Charles G. Messick • Darrell R. Steele • . . . — Map (db m38691) WM

Delaware (Sussex County), Georgetown — Sussex County Vietnam Veterans MemorialWelcome Home
1Lt Thomas B. Adams, USA - Selbyville LCPL Linden Wayne Brittingham, USMC - Milton PFC William Joseph Bunting, USA - Frankford CPL Reginald Wayne Burris, USA - Ellendale SGT Richard Samuel Dennison, USA - Bethel PFC Elmer Lee Faulkner, Jr., USMC - . . . — Map (db m38687) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Georgetown — Sussex County World War II Memorial
In Honor of Those Who Paid the Supreme Sacrifice in World War II Arnold Lee Roach • Harry Ernest Hill • Harold Kenneth Scott • Robert E Marvel • John E. Adams • William H. Hudson • Edward P. Steele • Harold Lee West • E. Alden Townsend, III • . . . — Map (db m38689) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Georgetown — SC-139 — The Brick Hotel
This locally famous landmark was constructed in 1836 by Joshua S. Layton and Caleb B. Sipple, builders of the Sussex County Courthouse across the Square. It replaced a frame Public House that had stood on the site. County courts were held here . . . — Map (db m38694) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Georgetown — SC-111 — The Judges
This home takes its name from the many judges who have lived in it. The Judges was built circa 1809 by Peter Robinson, who served as Secretary of State for Delaware under three governors and was appointed Associate Justice for Sussex County in 1832. . . . — Map (db m38696) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Georgetown — Wesley M.E. Chapel Cemetery
Site of 1st Methodist Chapel Erected in 1806 — Map (db m39376) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Georgetown — SC -117 — Wesley United Methodist
This congregation’s beginnings can be traced to a visit from Methodist pioneer Francis Asbury to a gathering of farm families at the home of Abraham Harris on September 24, 1779. A prominent local landowner, Mr. Harris later conveyed a . . . — Map (db m49020) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Georgetown — S 80 — William C. Jason Comprehensive High SchoolFirst African-American Secondary School In Sussex County
Named after the first African-American president of Delaware State College, the school opened in October 1950. Funds were provided in the will of H. Fletcher Brown a local philanthropist, and by the State General Assembly. Initially Jason . . . — Map (db m49021) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Greenwood — SC-149 — St. Johnstown Methodist Church
In the spring of 1779, Methodist pioneer Francis Asbury visited this area to spread the message of his faith. His efforts were successful and resulted in the organization of a local society of Methodists. Early meetings were held in the homes of . . . — Map (db m38650) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Gumboro — SC 97 — Bethel Church
During the late 18th century Methodist itinerants traveled throughout the peninsula. Their efforts were well-received in rural areas such as this, described as the “heart of Methodism” in the 1780’s. The seeds sown by those early . . . — Map (db m60914) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Gumboro — SC 57 — Gumboro Hundred
Created 1873 by Act of General Assembly from the southern parts of Broad Creek and Dagsboro Hundreds. — Map (db m48582) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Gumboro — SC-181 — Gumboro School
In 1919 the Delaware General Assembly enacted legislation to reform the state’s system of public education. Through the efforts of P.S. DuPont and the Delaware School Auxiliary Association, a program to replace many of the state’s . . . — Map (db m49015) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Gumboro — SC-106 — Gumboro United Methodist Church
Gumboro United Methodist Church traces its roots from the post Civil War era when a group of local citizens organized under the name of Union Methodist Episcopal Church. In the early 1870s the Church purchased the structure used by the . . . — Map (db m49014) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Gumboro — SC 141 — Jones Cemetery
By the 1840’s, a group of local Methodists were meeting nearby in Jones School. Desiring a permanent place of worship, the congregation built a church in 1857 at a site one-half mile west of here. In 1861, Jacob Jones and his wife, Love . . . — Map (db m48566) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Gumboro — SC 121 — Westwoods Methodist Church
During the spring of 1779, Methodist pioneer Freeborn Garrettson visited this area to bring the message of his faith to the people. The efforts of Reverend Garrettson and others who followed were met with considerable success. Numerous . . . — Map (db m48567) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Hardscrabble — SC 123 — Asbury United Methodist Church
On May 16, 1812, land at this location was conveyed by Minos and Sally Tindall to representatives of the local Methodist society “in trust that they shall build or cause to be erected thereon a house or place of worship for the use . . . — Map (db m48857) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Hardscrabble — Hardscrabble
The term "Hardscrabble" was created during the 1700s when two men of Irish extraction engaged in a rough fight where Sussex 473 and 446 cross. The skirmish ended in a stalemate, even when the first structured store was built in 1895 by Garrison . . . — Map (db m39370) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Hollymount — SC-132 — Saint George's Chapel
During the late 17th and early 18th centuries, a great number of settlers came to this area from the lower Eastern Shore counties of Maryland and Virginia. They brought many elements of their culture including an affiliation with the . . . — Map (db m38196) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Hollymount — St. Georges Chapel
Indian River Hundred Original Building - 1719 Present Building 1794 Remodeled 1893 This Marker presented by the Daughters of the American Colonists • 1962 — Map (db m38637) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Johnson — SC-92 — Old Sound Methodist Church
In April, 1799, one of the state’s first Methodist societies was organized near this site by Reverend Freeborn Garrettson. On April 29, 1784, one acre of ground was purchased here for the erection of a “preaching house.” The . . . — Map (db m38147) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Laurel — SC-160 — Centenary United Methodist Church
In 1801 there was a great revival of religion amoung the residents of the area. The growing appeal of the Methodist movement resulted in hundreds of new members for the church. A class was formed in the Laurel area, and in 1802 a church was . . . — Map (db m11816) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Laurel — SC-145 — Christ United Methodist Church
In the fall of 1831, Reverend Thomas Pearson came to Laurel to assist with the establishment of a Methodist Protestant congregation in the community. With its founding, the church became one of the first of this denomination in Delaware. Early . . . — Map (db m4430) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Laurel — SC-202 — Hope Lodge No. 4Grand Lodge of Delaware , A.F. & A.M.
On June 23, 1800, a charter was issued by the Grand Lodge of Maryland for Lodge No. 31 in “Laurel Town.” The first Worshipful Master of the Lodge was Jesse Green (1766-1834). A Maryland native who moved to Delaware in the 1790s, . . . — Map (db m60600) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Laurel — S-84 — Laurel
This site was originally part of a tract known as "Bachelor's Delight". From 1711 to 1768 it was included in a 3,000 acre Nanticoke Indian Reservation, authorized by an act of the Maryland Assembly. A village known as "Laurel" existed as early as . . . — Map (db m4423) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Laurel — SC- 150 — Mount Pleasant Methodist Church
The origin of this church can be traced to the organization of a local society of Methodists in 1778. The first meetings of the group, then known as the Broad Creek Society, were held in the homes of its members. On October 19, 1779, . . . — Map (db m60624) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Laurel — SC-195 — Mount Zion United Methodist Church
This congregation was organized in 1809. Services were held in a structure that was first known as Elzey Moore's Meeting House, and later renamed Wesley Chapel. With the closing of Wesley in 1852, the congregation was divided. On January 8, 1853, . . . — Map (db m4539) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Laurel — S-68 — Nathaniel Mitchell(1752-1813)
This Federalist served as the governor of Delaware between 1805-1808. He was born in Laurel in 1752, attended Old Christ Church, and is buried in this churchyard. Mitchell was commissioned as adjutant of militia 1775, promoted captain in 1776, and . . . — Map (db m39779) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Laurel — Nathaniel Mitchell
. . . — Map (db m61107) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Laurel — Old Christ Church
Established on Broad Creek in 1770 as a "Chapel of Ease" of Stepney Parish, Maryland on land purchased by a levy of 80,000 pounds of tobacco. Building completed by Robert Holston in 1772 at a cost of £510. — Map (db m39778) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Laurel — Pioneer of PreservationTed Harvey: Innovator for Preservation
Trussum Pond Tranquil waters trapped by a grist mill dam in the early nineteenth century made Trussum Pond a haven for the bald cypress. However, the trees now seen dotting the pond's surface are all that remain of a once extensive . . . — Map (db m4540) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Laurel — SC-120 — St. Paul's United Methodist Church
In 1865 the Maryland Conference of the Methodist Protestant Church established a “mission” or charge circuit in southwestern Sussex County. At the time local members of that faith were holding meetings in Sharp’s school, a one . . . — Map (db m61627) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Laurel — SC-182 — The Wading Place
Here was Laurel's ancient "Wading Place", a ford for Native Americans and colonial settlers. Broad Creek crosses this fall in its flow to the Nanticoke River and Chesapeake Bay. For centuries, the Nanticoke Indians, an Algonquin people, lived in the . . . — Map (db m11817) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Laurel — SC-169 — Trinity Methodist Church
In 1865, Reverend Isaac Adkins of the Methodist Protestant Church began to conduct services in Dorothy School House. The congregation was formally organized the following year. Meetings continued to be held in the school until 1873, when . . . — Map (db m61577) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — 155mm GunThis Gun: M114A2 Howitzer — Original Ft. Miles Gun: Model 1918-M-1 —
Guns such as these were used as field artillery. There were four 155mm guns placed at Fort Miles and four more placed across the Delaware Bay at Cape May, NJ to limit access to the bay. The concrete pads the were placed on were called "Panama . . . — Map (db m150111) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — 16-inch GunCoastal Defense Giant
When Fort Miles was completed, its two 16-inch guns were some of the largest artillery ever engineered by the United States and were placed here to defend the coastline from enemy battleships. This particular gun barrel is Barrel 371, . . . — Map (db m150114) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — 3-Inch GunThis Gun: 3-inch Deck Gun Mod. 1944 MK22 — The Original Ft. Miles Gun: Model 1903 —
This gun is known as a 3"/50, which specifies diameter of the gun's bore and it's caliber. The 3-inch guns that were placed at Fort Miles were mounted on a pedestal to allow them to be easily aimed and follow the target. Throughout their use, . . . — Map (db m150104) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — 6-inch GunThis Gun: Mod. 1905 Mk D — The Original Ft. Miles Gun: Model 1903-A-2 —
The gun before you is a 6-inch pedestal-mounted deck gun. This gun could fire two types of rounds, a 105-lb. armor-piercing round and a 90 lb. high-explosive round. The model 1903-A2 guns that were at Fort Miles would have been mounted on . . . — Map (db m150115) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — 8-inch GunThis Gun: Mark XXII Model II — Original Ft. Miles Gun: Model MXVI Mod.3A 11 —
The 8-inch guns placed at Fort Miles were each mounted on a railcar, making the large guns very mobile and easy to position for firing. The gun was able to turn in a 360° circle at an elevation of 45°. This made them difficult targets for enemy . . . — Map (db m150112) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — Aircraft Warning SystemCivilian volunteers monitor the skies
From the end of World War I until the beginning of World War II, advances in design and engineering led to advances in aircraft and military transportation in general. This progress created more versatile vessels such as aircraft carriers and . . . — Map (db m150107) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — BreakwatersLewes * Maritime History Trail
Two massive breakwaters shield Lewes Harbor from the punishing seas where Delaware Bay and the Atlantic Ocean meet. They create an 800-acre anchorage that is nearly empty now, but in the early 1900s it was capable of sheltering 1,000 vessels from . . . — Map (db m39380) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — 5 — Burton-Ingram House
c.1800. Contains hand-hewn timbers, cypress shingles, fine stairway, interior and exterior moulding. Cellar walls are made of sailing-ship ballast stones and brick. Moved & restored in 1962 by the Lewes Historical Society. — Map (db m113692) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — Burton-Ingram House Addition
Late 18th century house which replaces original wing burnt in 1922. Donated by the Town of Milton in 1965. Moved and restored by the Lewes Historical Society. — Map (db m113693) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — SC-240 — Cool Spring Presbyterian Church
Named for the river branch which runs along its northwest edge, Cool Spring Presbyterian Church was established circa 1726. Many of its members were Ulster Scots who had come to America from Ireland seeking religious freedom and economic . . . — Map (db m150096) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — SC-219 — David Hall House
This house was the home of Colonel David Hall (1752-1817), patriot of the Revolution and Governor of Delaware. Devoted to the struggle for American Independence, he enlisted in the Continental Army in 1776 and was commissioned as a Captain in . . . — Map (db m38011) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — SC-185 — Delaware Breakwater East End Lighthouse
Located on the eastern end of the Delaware Breakwater, this brown conical structure was built in 1885. The tower is composed of four tiers of cast iron plates lined with two feet of brick. It is twenty-two feet in diameter at the base and is set . . . — Map (db m39378) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — Delaware Breakwater Quarantine Station1884-1926
Many of the European immigrants who came to this country at the end of the nineteenth century brought with them a variety of epidemic diseases including cholera, typhus, smallpox and bubonic plague. This posed a serious threat to urban areas such as . . . — Map (db m39387) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — Delaware PilotsLewes * Maritime History Trail
Marine pilots know the shoals, lumps, and ledges of the Delaware intimately. They know the bends of the dredged channel, the characteristics of every lighthouse and range light, and the location of wrecks. They understand tides and currents and the . . . — Map (db m39379) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — Delaware’s Beachnesters
Each spring, upon arrival from their Central and South American wintering grounds, Delaware beachnesters establish colonies and take part in courtship rituals. The birds lay their eggs in shallow nests scraped into the sand mostly between the dunes . . . — Map (db m94322) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — deVries Monument — Dutch Settlement of Delaware —
Erected By The State of Delaware To Commemorate The Settlement On This Spot, Of The First Dutch Colony, Under De Vries, A.D. 1631. Here was the cradling of a state. "That Delaware exists as a separate Commonwealth is due to . . . — Map (db m37400) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — Dodds Corner
Serving Lewes with a general store and its harbor as ship chandlers, the Dodd family occupied this site from the latter part of the 18th Century until it was acquired in 1929 by Benjamin Ableman of Georgetown from one Joseph Frank Dodd, the . . . — Map (db m37099) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — Fort Miles Artillery ParkRecalling the guns that protected our coast
The guns in this park serve as representations of the artillery that was here throughout Fort Miles' World War II years; these are not the actual guns and not the same models as the guns that were placed here. Fort Miles was part of the . . . — Map (db m150109) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — Fort Miles Historical AreaBattery 519 Cantonment
This small group of buildings, or cantonment, provided living space and necessary services for the troops assigned to operate the guns of Fort Miles. Concrete barracks were more comfortable than the canvas and wood structures that were . . . — Map (db m150102) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — Fort Miles Historical AreaBuildings
The troops stationed here during World War II were part of the nation's coastal defense system that protected the mouth of the Delaware Bay and industries located up the Delaware River. Later the U.S. Army used the area as a recreation center . . . — Map (db m150103) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — Fort Miles in World War IIWelcome to Fort Miles Historic Area
Just before World War II, the U.S. War Department began upgrades of the harbor defenses that protect the Delaware Bay. They built new fortifications here at Cape Henlopen that became known as Fort Miles. The fort grew as the members of the . . . — Map (db m150101) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — Frederick E. HudsonNovember 29, 1923 - February 18, 2008 — "Fred" —
Born in Ocean View, Delaware, Fred attended Lord Baltimore School and with his friends often explored the natural and historic scenery of Old Sussex. Fred proudly served his country in World War II in the U.S. Army 1059th Signal Company Service . . . — Map (db m113697) HM WM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — German Submarine at Cape HenlopenThe Surrender of U-858
On May 14, 1945, the officers and crew of the German submarine, U-858 gave themselves up to U.S. Marines after hearing of Germany's surrender to Allied troops. They and their vessel were escorted here to the Fort Miles Army dock. Crew members were . . . — Map (db m39382) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — H.M. Brig DeBraak
On May 25, 1798 at 4:00 pm, H.M. Brig DeBraak capsized and sank off the coast of Cape Henlopen, Delaware during a sudden squall. This memorial honors the thirty-three members of the eighty-five man crew who were lost at sea. James . . . — Map (db m38436) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — Harbeson Railroad Station Privyc. 1870
Established c. 1870 as Broadkin Station, the Harbeson Railroad Station served first the Junction & Breakwater and later the Pennsylvania Railroads as a passenger depot for nearly sixty years. After that time, the station continued to serve as a . . . — Map (db m113696) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — SC-186 — Harbor of Refuge Lighthouse
A temporary light was established on the south end of the recently completed National Harbor of Refuge Breakwater on January 1, 1902. It was replaced in 1908 by a three-story frame lighthouse. A series of storms damaged the structure, resulting in . . . — Map (db m39374) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — SC 180 — Hiram Rodney Burton House
The land upon which this house now stands was acquired in 1675 by Helmanus Wiltbank, a prominent early resident and property owner of Lewes. The oldest portion of the present structure is believed to have been constructed by Cornelius Wiltbank . . . — Map (db m48936) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — SC-204 — Home of Major Henry FisherHero of the American Revolution
A native and lifelong resident of this community, Henry Fisher (1735-1792) was one of Delaware's foremost leaders in the struggle for American Independence. His prominence as a skilled pilot and his firm support of the Patriot cause resulted in his . . . — Map (db m39377) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — SC-271 — Israel United Methodist Church
In 1840, Israel United Methodist Church formed in the Belltown community west of Lewes. Israel established a cemetery in 1854 and formally incorporated in 1877. The congregation rebuilt the church in 1890 and again in 1916. Over time, the 1916 . . . — Map (db m139574) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — John Penrose Virden
. . . — Map (db m49591) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — Last Lewes Pilot Skiff
Used to take Del. Bay and River Pilots from pilot boat Philadelphia and pilot boat Delaware to and from ships in Del. Bay before World War II Rowed by 4 apprentice pilots Built by Dave Watson Lewes Master Small Boat . . . — Map (db m114550) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — S-31 — Lewes
Under orders from Peter Stuyvesant, the Dutch erected Fort at Hoorn Kil (Lewes Creek) 1659 but were soon dispossessed by Marylanders. Here was also a communistic settlement established in 1662 by Mennonites from Holland under Peter Cornelius . . . — Map (db m19404) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — LewesZwaanendael
On north side of town was Zwaanendael, first Dutch settlement on Delaware soil. Founded 1631 on creek, named by settlers Hoorn Kil in honor of town of Hoorn in Holland. Colony was destroyed by Indians same year. DeVries, a director of company which . . . — Map (db m19407) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — Lewes
The Dutch in 1673 established a court in Hoorn Kil for the inhabitants “on the east and west sides of Cape Henlopen unto Bomties (Bombay) Hook.” Governor Andros of New York in 1676 established an English court at Whorekill, the . . . — Map (db m19408) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — Lewes
Here lived Ryves Holt, colonial chief justice; and four governors, David Hall, who commanded a Delaware regiment in the Revolution, Daniel Rodney and Caleb Rodney, sons of John Rodney, and Ebe W. Tunnell; also Colonel Henry Fisher, Revolutionary . . . — Map (db m19409) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — S-31 — Lewes
Under orders from Peter Stuyvesant the Dutch erected Fort At Hoorn Kil (Lewes Creek) 1659 but were soon dispossessed by the Marylanders. Here was also a communistic settlement established in 1662 by Mennonites from Holland under Peter Cornelis . . . — Map (db m38194) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — SC-157 — Lewes Presbyterian Church
The origin of this church can be traced to the earliest days of Presbyterianism in America. A congregation was established here in 1692 under the leadership of the Reverend Samuel Davis. The steady flow of immigrants from Scotland and Ireland . . . — Map (db m38573) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — Lewes-Rehoboth Canal
The Lewes-Rehoboth Canal connecting Rehoboth Bay and Delaware Bay was authorized by the U.S. River and Harbor Act of 1912. Initially, the canal was envisioned as a means of access to the sea for farmers and saw mills along the Indian River and Bay. . . . — Map (db m19307) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — Life Saving StationLewes Maritime History Trail
The United States Life Saving Service (U.S.L.S.S.) was commissioned to rescue shipwrecked mariners along our nation's coast. Established in 1876 and 1884, repectively, the Cape Henlopen and Lewes stations worked together to save thousands . . . — Map (db m38472) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — LighthousesLewes Maritime History Trail
Lighthouses Two of the many lighthouses that have guided mariners on Delaware Bay for nearly 250 years can be seen from Lewes beach. The rust-colored Delaware Breakwater East End Lighthouse was built in 1885. It replaced an earlier . . . — Map (db m38524) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — SC-175 — Lightship Overfalls
Responsible for establishing aids for the navigation of our nation’s waterways, the United States government Initiated the use of manned lightships or “floating lighthouses" in 1820. These vessels addressed many needs. They could be placed in . . . — Map (db m19312) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — SC- 138 — Maull House
This house is believed to have been built by Samuel Paynter, a carpenter who purchased this property in 1737. Following its completion, the house and surrounding land was sold in 1741 to Luke Shields, a prominent bay and river pilot. The . . . — Map (db m48920) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — Menhaden FisheriesLewes Maritime History Trail
Menhaden, a small bony, oily fish was pursued not to be eaten but to be pressed for its oil and ground into fertilizer. Lewes' fisheries began in 1883 and reached their zenith in 1953 when the docks at Lewes strained unde the weight on . . . — Map (db m38820) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — SC-214 — Menhaden Fishing Industry
The Atlantic Menhaden is a small herring-like fish found in the coastal waters of the Eastern United States. Used by Native Americans to fertilize crops, these oily fish were also used by European settlers to produce fuel for lamps. In the mid-19th . . . — Map (db m19428) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — Milk House
Donated by Mr. & Mrs. Byron Pepper of Georgetown, Delaware Typical building of farms of the 19 and early 20 century — Map (db m113694) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — Old Bethel Church
Built in 1790 as a meeting place for Methodists, this structure originally stood at third and Market Streets and consisted of one large room with an end gallery (slave box). In 1828 it was moved to Church and Mulberry Streets and enlarged to . . . — Map (db m48916) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — Old Court House
In 1680, Governor Andros authorized the erection of a court house of logs to cost 5000 pounds of tobacco. Near this wall was the second building used from 1740 to 1791, when the county seat was moved to Georgetown. The church rented building . . . — Map (db m37347) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — Otis H. Smith City Dock
In Honor of Otis H. Smith Entrepreneur, Civil Servent Mayor, City of Lewes 1950-1968 Otis H. Smith was the founder and President of Fish Products Co., one of the country's largest menhaden processing operations. During his long . . . — Map (db m38597) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — Overfalls LightshipLewes Maritime History Trail
The Lightship Overfalls is one of the 179 ships that servrd as floating lighthouses on America's three coasts and the Great Lakes between 1820 and 1985. Lightships were used where it was not feasible to build a lighthouse, possibly because . . . — Map (db m38840) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — Proof SteelHow do you test a 16-inch gun?
The piece of steel before you is a 48-inch section of armor plate that is 17.5 inches thick. The hole in it was created by a Mark 8, 16-inch armor piercing shell weighing 2,700 lbs. fired at point blank range. Firing shells at a piece of . . . — Map (db m150113) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — Quarantine StationLewes * Maritime History Trail
In 1880, the fear that foreigners were bringing epidemic diseases to the United States led the federal government to create the National Quarantine System. Around the country, from stations like the one that was here, doctors were dispatched to . . . — Map (db m39385) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — SC-266 — Rabbit's Ferry School 201-C
Rabbit's Ferry School educated Native American and African American students of the Robinsville area from 1920-1965. Built in 1919 through Pierre S. du Pont's school rebuilding program, the school served students in grades 1-8 and later, grades 1-6. . . . — Map (db m150097) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — Ryves Holt HouseOldest Building Standing in State of Delaware
In this house lived Ryves Holt Chief Justice of “Three Lower Counties On Delaware,” 1745 to 1763 Member of Assembly of “Three Lower Counties On Delaware,” 1734-1737, 1742-1744, 1746-1755, And Speaker . . . — Map (db m48877) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — Spotter HouseHooper's Island, Maryland
Civilian volunteers of the U.S. Army Ground Observers Corps (GOC), a branch of the Aircraft Warning System (AWS) used buildings like this during World War II. The AWS used different types of buildings, including dedicated office buildings, . . . — Map (db m150106) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — SC-258 — St. George African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church and Cemetery
St. George AME church was established prior to 1880 on land donated by Peter Lewis, a free black shipbuilder and AME church delegate. Initially, congregants met at the Old Bethel Meeting House, but soon acquired a corn crib to hold services in on . . . — Map (db m150098) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — SC-202 — St. Peter's Episcopal Church
In 1680, the Justices of the County petitioned Governor Edmond Andros for the right to grant lands. Under this authority, a lot of ground at this location was reserved for “publick use.” Many of the settlers who came to this area . . . — Map (db m38630) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — Standing Guard
Built from 1939 to 1942, the 11 concrete observation towers along Delaware's coast were built to protect the shores during World War II - and to last about 20 years. They are still standing after 60 years. The towers were the eyes for the guns of . . . — Map (db m39595) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — Station Master's House
Station Master's House 342 Pilottown Road has been entered on the National Register of Historic Places as part of the Lewes Historic District by the United States Department of Interior under the provisions of the National . . . — Map (db m150099) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — Tapping the Power of Wind Energy in Coastal Delaware
The University of Delaware's 2-megawatt wind turbine generates clean power and represents an important contribution to renewable energy development in the United States. Clean Energy Using wind power reduces our use of fossil . . . — Map (db m113701) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — SC221 — The Blizzard of 1888
Known as the “Great White Hurricane,” the Blizzard of 1888 was one of the most devastating weather events in recorded history. Affecting coastal states from Virginia to Maine, this paralyzing storm resulted in widespread death and . . . — Map (db m19316) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — SC-167 — The Bombardment of Lewes
In March of 1813, the Royal Navy established a blockade of the Delaware Bay and River. The British squadron, under the command of Commodore John P. Beresford, RN, took up stations off Lewes and the Delaware Capes, and began to conduct raids along . . . — Map (db m19308) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — The Bombardment of Lewes
. . . — Map (db m38633) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — SC-168 — The Cannonball House
The War of 1812 had a major impact on the town of Lewes and surrounding area. The naval blockade that was initiated by the British in March of 1813 lasted for most of the next two years. With maritime commerce limited, the local economy suffered. . . . — Map (db m30358) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — The Cape Henlopen LighthouseBeacon in the Night
For more than 150 years, the Cape Henlopen Lighthouse guided ships into Delaware Bay on their way to the ports of Wilmington and Philadelphia.

The Cape Henlopen Lighthouse had its beginnings in 1761. Philadelphia merchants and ship owners . . . — Map (db m79167) HM

Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — SC-230 — The Coursey-Daisey Nanticoke Indian Burial Ground
​ Located with in this neighborhood, a short distance south of here, is the burial ground of the Coursey and Daisey families, members of the Nanticoke Indian tribe. The graveside is unmarked except for a family tombstone noting the site. It . . . — Map (db m104206) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — The De Vries Monument
Commemorates the establishment of the first permanent European presence on the Delaware Bay 1631 In 1631, a group of settlers under David Pietersz de Vries landed near this spot to form a whale hunting station and agricultural . . . — Map (db m38631) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — The Ever Changing Cape HenlopenCape Henlopen, Delaware
Cape: a piece of land jutting into a body of water beyond the rest of the coast line; a headland; a promontory. Delaware's coastline is constantly changing. The daily effects of wind, tidal currents, and wave action are reshaping and redesigning the . . . — Map (db m39388) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — The Explorations of Giovanni da Verrazzano
This stone is from Castello di Verrazano, the explorer's ancestral home in Val di Greve Chianti, Italy. He was engaged by the King of France in 1524 to lead a voyage of discovery to North America aboard his ship Dauphine. That Voyage is . . . — Map (db m63067) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — The Fisher-Martin Housec. 1730
This house is an excellent example of Sussex County architecture circa 1730. It was moved to its present site in 1980 to help celebrate Lewes' 350th anniversary in 1981. — Map (db m113690) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — The Great DuneLiving Sands
You are standing on the Great Dune, the largest sand hill between Cape Cod, Massachusetts, and Cape Hatteras, North Carolina. This is the dune's highest point, about 80 feet above the Atlantic Ocean.

It took thousands of years and the actions . . . — Map (db m79166) HM

Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — The Legacy of Ted Freeman
Theodore C. Freeman was born in Haverford, Pennsylvania on February 18, 1930. When he was fifteen months old, Ted's family moved to Lewes, Delaware. As Ted grew up, aviation became his passion. On his 16th birthday, Ted earned his pilot's . . . — Map (db m114560) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — The New Devon Inn
The New Devon Inn Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior 1926 — Map (db m38157) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — The Osprey
The Osprey or Fish Hawk is found April through October in both salt and freshwater areas of the state. Almost as large as a Bald Eagle, the Osprey looks like a cross between a hawk and a gull.

Osprey can spot fish from extreme heights. . . . — Map (db m94323) HM

Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — The U.S. Navy at Cape HenlopenA Century of Service
The United States Navy's ties to Cape Henlopen spanned nearly 100 years. The Navy first came to the Cape in 1898 to build a signal tower during the Spanish American War. In the 20th century, the Navy kept a communications station he, beginning with . . . — Map (db m79201) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — The War of 1812Lewes Maritime History Trail
During the War of 1812, British vessels blockaded the mouth of Delaware Bay in an effort to disrupt shipping patterns and supply lines and cause economic hardship in the Mid-Atlantic. But when crews attempted to land at Lewes to replenish . . . — Map (db m38598) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — SC-161 — The Zwaanendael Club
This building was constructed in 1898 by the Sussex Trust Title and Safe Deposit Company. It was opened in October of that year, and continued to serve as the Lewes branch of the bank until being replaced by a new structure on Second Street in 1911. . . . — Map (db m37396) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — Thompson Country Store
Built at Thompsonville De. c.1800 Operated by Thompson family from 1888-1962. Moved, repaired and reopened by the Lewes Historical Society in 1963. — Map (db m113695) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — University of DelawareLewes Maritime History Trail
The University of Delaware (UD) has been involved with marine research since 1950, when a group of local fishermen became alarmed by drastic decline in Delaware Bay fisheries approached the Delaware General Assembly for help. The legislators . . . — Map (db m113700) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — Unknown Sailors' Cemetery
Lewes has been a Port-of-Call and a Harbor-of-Refuge since the 17th century. For generations during the ages of sail, a public burial ground in this immediate locality became the final resting place for hundred of sailors who lost their lives and . . . — Map (db m39373) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — William J. HopkinsDelaware State Parks — Pioneer of Preservation —
When Bill Hopkins came to Delaware in 1964 as the first superintendent for Cape Henlopen State Park, he brought with him a vision that would shape preservation in the state for years to come. For more than forty years he has been a driving force . . . — Map (db m150116) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — World Wars I and II Memorial
In honor of those who made the supreme sacrifice and of those who served in World Wars I and II. They have fought, "to safeguard and transmit to posterity the principles of justice, freedom and democracy." — Map (db m113689) WM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — Zwaanendael House
Zwaanendael House A memorial of the first settlement in Delaware by the Dutch, on Lewes Creek A.D. 1631 — Map (db m63578) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Milford — Abbott's Mill
The origin of Abbott’s Mill can be traced to the fall of 1795 when local carpenter Nathan Willey entered into a contract to purchase land at this location. On April 23, 1802, Willey and several of his neighbors presented a petition to the Court of . . . — Map (db m38641) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Milford — Absalom Jones1746-1818
Born near this place on a plantation known as “Cedar Town”, Jones moved to Philadelphia in 1762 and in 1784 purchased his freedom. He helped to establish the Free African Society in 1787. A leader of the independent African-American . . . — Map (db m38626) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Milford — Causey House
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m142581) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Milford — Fort Saulsbury
Constructed in 1917 as a coastal defense fortification of the U.S. Army. Names for Willard Saulsbury, U.S. Senator from Delaware 1859-1871. Two batteries were located within the fort, each with two 12-inch gun emplacements. The north battery was . . . — Map (db m38634) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Milford — Launching George May Sailing Ship, 1900
Four-masted, 162 ft. cargo sailing schooner launched from Abbott's shipyard in 1900. John C. Davis, Captain. Lost in Bahamas storm in 1911. — Map (db m150092) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Milford — Major General Alfred T.A. Torbert
Torbert Memorial Statue This memorial statue was commissioned by the Milford Museum to honor and commemorate the 175th anniversary of the birth of Major General Alfred T.A. Torbert, born July 1, 1833.

General Torbert, a West Point graduate, class . . . — Map (db m38639) HM

Delaware (Sussex County), Milford — Major General Alfred T.A. Torbert
Alfred Thomas Archimedes Torbert was a gallant and distinguished officer and leader during the Civil War achieving the rank of Major General in the Union Army. He was a strict disciplinarian who saw to the needs of his troops gaining their respect . . . — Map (db m142602) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Milford — SC-14 — Milford
Town laid out by Joseph Oliver 1787. Village was located on tract then called "Saw-Mill Range". Named Milford from fording place near mill-dam erected by Rev. Sydenham Thorne across Mispillion Creek, 1787. First incorporated 1807. Old town in Kent . . . — Map (db m38632) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Milford — SC 26 — Milford
Town laid out by Joseph Oliver 1787. Village was located on tract then called "Saw-Mill Range". Named Milford from fording place near mill-dam erected by Rev. Sydenham Thorne across Mispillion Creek, 1787. First incorporated 1807. Old town in Kent . . . — Map (db m38638) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Milford — SC-184 — Milford's Struggle for Educational Equality
On May 17, 1954, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in the case of Brown v. Board of Education, declaring racially segregated public schools unconstitutional. In August 1954, a petition was submitted to the Milford Board of Education requesting . . . — Map (db m142583) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Milford — Nixon Palace Theater, N. Walnut St.1920
Home of the first Nickelodeons and later, silent movies, located in "Jump Block" near the State Service Center. — Map (db m150094) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Milford — Old Calvary Church, Franklin St.1912
Original Methodist church burned in 1951 and rebuilt, on same site, 1957. — Map (db m150095) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Milford — Old Red Mill & L.D. Caulk Mfg. Plant1908
Original Caulk dental offices and mfg. plant at Silver Lake dam site. Old Red Mill (1875-1945), in background. — Map (db m150093) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Milford — Railroad Depot, Junction & Breakwater Line1915
The railroad operated seven daily trains from 1890 until the demise of passenger traffic in 1945. — Map (db m150090) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Milford — SC-115 — Slaughter Neck United Methodist Church
The history of this congregation can be traced to the early days of Methodism in this country. In 1777 a group of area residents gathered at the home of a “Mr. Shockely” to organize a local Methodist “Society.” While visiting . . . — Map (db m38623) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Milford — SC-245 — Temple Lodge No. 9 A.F. & A.M.
Organized Freemasonry in Delaware can be traced to the mid-18th century. On January 16, 1815, Temple Lodge No. 9 A.F. & A.M. was chartered by the Grand Lodge of Delaware, Ancient, Free and Accepted Masons while it convened at the State House in . . . — Map (db m142580) HM

316 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 116
Paid Advertisement
May. 26, 2020