United States of America
Congressional Medal of Honor Recipients
State of Ohio, Hancock County
Bensinger, William Captain Georgia 1862
Porter, John R. 1st Lt. Georgia 1862
Scott, John M. Sergeant Georgia 1862
Vance, . . . — Map (db m29178) HM
Findlay College was a joint venture of the Churches of God, General Conference, and the Village of Findlay. It was chartered on January 28, 1882, to provide a liberal arts education within a Christian context for all -- regardless . . . — Map (db m29182) HM
Hancock County was organized March, 1828, court being held in a log schoolhouse. In 1833, a frame courthouse was built. It served until 1840, when a brick structure went up on this site. During the oil and gas boom of the 1880's, the . . . — Map (db m29175) HM
Indian Green This area of western Hancock County is a part of the Maumee River Watershed known as "Indian Green." Wyandot Indians chose this area for hunting and ceremonial grounds along the Blanchard River in the 1700s because it was next to . . . — Map (db m93378) HM
In spite of small numbers and being welcomed by the mostly white congregation of First Methodist Episcopal Church, African Americans in Findlay in the 1880s wanted to express their faith in ways that best reflected their freedoms and . . . — Map (db m29179) HM
Oesterlen Well Site
The site of the natural gas well generally credited with the beginning of the "Gas Boom" in Hancock County is approximately 300 feet west of this marker. German physician, Dr. Charles Oesterlen drilled the well on his . . . — Map (db m75156) HM
[West Side of Marker] : "Riverside Park"
One of the earliest and largest amusement parks in Northwest Ohio dedicated in 1906 on site of old waterworks. Trains brought visitors from as far away as Cleveland. 1907: Dance Pavilion and . . . — Map (db m29569) HM
Early in the War of 1812, Gen. Wm. Hull, commander of Ohio troops, ordered Col.. James Findlay to open a road from Ft. McArthur on the Scioto River to Blanchard’s Fork. Under Findlay, a stockade 50 yards square, with a . . . — Map (db m21576) HM
In 1884, the first natural gas well was successfully drilled in Findlay, and when The Great Karg Well, then the largest in the world, was drilled in 1886, the boom was on. Many industries, especially glass, were attracted to Findlay, lured by free . . . — Map (db m29174) HM
Side A: The Ohio Oil Company-Marathon Oil Company
Site of the first Findlay Field Office for what was to become a world-wide oil company, formerly locally owned and operated.
1887: The Ohio Oil Company was incorporated by five independent . . . — Map (db m29180) HM
The Fugitive Slave Act of 1850 prompted an expansion of the "Underground Railroad," and as the state spanning the shortest distance between the Ohio River and Canada, Ohio saw heavy traffic in escaping slaves in the decades before . . . — Map (db m29176) HM
The University of Findlay
was founded as Findlay College
in 1882 by the
Churches of God, General Conference
and the City of Findlay
Old Main opened on September 1, 1886,
for the first classes.
The University . . . — Map (db m29200) HM
Remember and honor the many sacrifices that have been made to defend the freedoms that form the foundations of our country.
Veterans Service Commission
March 7, . . . — Map (db m30452) HM