Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

St. Mary's County Maryland Historical Markers

268 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 68
 
St. Joseph's Manor Marker image, Touch for more information
By Don Morfe, February 11, 2015
St. Joseph's Manor Marker
Maryland (St. Mary's County), California — St. Joseph's Manor
On Patuxent Beach Road.
Nicholas Hervey (also Harvey) having "prayeth a grant of mannor" of 1,000 acres of south side of Patuxent River in 1641 "for transporting into the province this present year himself his wife and five other persons." Cecilius Calvert on 25 January . . . — Map (db m81162) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Chaptico — "Deep Falls"Originally patented March 26, 1680 as "Wales"
On Budd Creek Road (SR 234).
. . . — Map (db m81166) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Chaptico — Chaptico
On Budds Creek Road (Maryland Route 234) at Chaptico Road (Maryland Route 238), on the right when traveling south on Budds Creek Road.
Established in 1683 as one of the four ports of entry in St. Mary's County. Shipping continued until early in the twentieth century. Christ Church, built in 1736, has been used continuously since. On July 30, 1814, British forces looted the town, . . . — Map (db m17425) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Chaptico — ChapticoA History of Rebellion
On Maddox Road (Maryland Route 238) at Chaptico Hurry Road, on the left when traveling east on Maddox Road.
Tiny Chaptico was home to many daring men, beginning with John Coode who led Maryland's 1689 Protestant Rebellion. During the Civil War, Chaptico's blockade runners carried medicin and other supplies at night across the Potomac River past Union . . . — Map (db m17426) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Chaptico — Christ Church King and Queen Parish
On Maddox Road (SR 238).
Christ Church King and Queen Parish has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior for its significance in American History — Map (db m81168) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Chaptico — Prosperous Port TownRaided by British, July 1814
Near Budd's Creek Road at Maddox Road.
Colonial Settlement followed the rivers inland, and harbors with deep water became commercial and social centers. The Maryland colony was founded in 1634, and Chaptico was officially established by 1683. In 1689, Chaptico's John Goode organized a . . . — Map (db m62741) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Charlotte Hall — Cadet Pierre A. Mourthé
On Charlotte Hall Road south of Charlotte Hall School Road, on the right when traveling south.
In Memoriam. Cadet Pierre A. Mourthé, Class of 1919, Born September 6th 1897 at Pau, France, who met his death by accidental drowning August 24th, 1917. — Map (db m941) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Charlotte Hall — Charlotte Hall School
On Charlotte Hall Road.
In 1774, the Maryland General Assembly passed legislation for the establishment of a school near “Ye Coole Springs” for the education of boys from St. Mary’s, Charles, Calvert, and Prince George’s counties. As a result of the . . . — Map (db m81186) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Charlotte Hall — Charlotte Hall School
On Three Notch Road (Maryland Route 5) at Charlotte Hall School Road, on the right when traveling south on Three Notch Road.
An outgrowth of the “Free Schools” established in Maryland in 1723, founded in 1774 “to provide for the liberal and pious education of the youth of this province, the better to fit them for the discharge of their duties.” . . . — Map (db m81286) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Charlotte Hall — Coole Springs of Saint Marie’sCharlotte Hall, Maryland
On Charlotte Hall Road south of Charlotte Hall School Road, on the left when traveling south.
Waters of exceptional purity and reputed healing quality led to the establishment near here of one of the earliest hospitals in the North American Colonies, authorized by the General Assembly, October 20, 1698. — Map (db m929) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Charlotte Hall — Managing The LineThree Notch Trail
Near Charlotte Hall Road south of Oaks Road, on the right when traveling south.
William F. Chesley began his railroad career as a telegraph operator for the Kansas City Southern Railroad in 1906. He worked every position on the line from track worker to manager. Mr. Chesley returned home to St. Mary's County and in 1924 . . . — Map (db m135327) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Charlotte Hall — Maryland Begins Here
On Three Notch Road (Maryland Route 5) at Charlotte Hall School Road, on the right when traveling south on Three Notch Road.
St. Mary’s County Welcome Center. Dedicated to all citizens and visitors of St. Mary’s County, Maryland. In 1634, a group of courageous voyagers left England and all that was familiar and set out for the New World in search of religious . . . — Map (db m944) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Charlotte Hall — No Match for British MightStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail — War of 1812 —
On Charlotte Hall School Road.
Bounded by the Patuxent and the Potomac, St. Mary’s County felt the squeeze as British invaders attacked along both rivers, plundering towns and plantations at will. Officials petitioned for federal help “to rescue and save us.” Little . . . — Map (db m81180) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Charlotte Hall — Rear Admiral Raphael Semmes C.S.N.
On Charlotte Hall Road south of Charlotte Hall School Road, on the left when traveling south. Reported permanently removed.
(1807–1877) Born Charles County. Attended Charlotte Hall Mil. Academy. US Navy – Mexican War. Practiced Law. Commissioned in CSN 1861. Captained CSS Sumter. Later commanded CSS Alabama. Most successful raider with 82 naval victories. . . . — Map (db m140069) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Charlotte Hall — Village of Charlotte HallThree Notch Trail
On Charlotte Hall Road 0.2 miles north of Charlotte Hall School Road, on the left when traveling north.
The Village of Charlotte Hall derived its name from the school located there, authorized by the Maryland General Assembly in 1774. The area was originally known as "Ye Coole Springs" for the purported healing qualities of the drinking water the . . . — Map (db m135328) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Charlotte Hall — Ye Coole SpringsThree Notch Trail
On Charlotte Hall Road south of Charlotte Hall School Road, on the right when traveling south.
Legends of healing waters in St. Mary's came from the Native Americans and the colonists who believed in the therapeutic properties of the fresh water springs at Charlotte Hall. Around 1698, Governor Thomas Nicholson appointed trustees to purchase . . . — Map (db m135329) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Coltons Point — "...one of the pleasantest summer resorts on the Potomac"
Near Point Breeze Road 0.2 miles from Colton Point Road (Route 242).
Tourism thrived on the island after Dr. Joseph McWilliams built a steamboat wharf in 1868. Dr. McWilliams enlarged his home to make room for a growing number of summer visitors from Baltimore and Washington. he also added cottages, a dining hall, . . . — Map (db m24198) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Coltons Point — "With a laudable and pious zeal for the propagation of the Christian faith"
Near Point Breeze Road 0.2 miles east of Colton Point Road (Maryland Route 242).
A Catholic Mass, the first in English America, was celebrated here on March 25, 1634. It was a time of beginnings; the first day of the year on the old Julian Calendar and the Feast of the Annunciation. Catholic leaders were determine to . . . — Map (db m24191) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Coltons Point — A Target for Big Guns
Near Point Breeze Road 0.2 miles east of Colton Point Road (Maryland Route 242).
In 1918, the United States War Department established the Dahlgren Proving Grounds in King George County, Virginia. Military leaders who had observed the death and destruction of World War I wanted more accurate and effective large guns for future . . . — Map (db m104737) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Coltons Point — Blackistone Island LighthouseKeepers of the Light
Near Point Breeze Road 0.2 miles east of Colton Point Road (Maryland Route 242).
1851 Isaac Wood 1853 George Goddard 1859 Jerome L. McWilliams 1868 Dr. Joseph L. McWilliams 1875 Mrs. Josephine McWilliams Freeman 1912 William M. Freeman, Jr. 1913 Leonard H. Staubly 1917 Francis E. Butterfield, Jr. 1918 William . . . — Map (db m24187) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Coltons Point — Maryland Began Here!
Near Point Breeze Road 0.2 miles from Colton Point Road (Maryland Route 242).
Two ships, the 400-ton Ark and the 50-ton Dove landed almost 150 English settlers here in March of 1634. After a stormy passage from England, the 28-year-old Governor Leonard Calvert, brother of Lord Baltimore, looked for a safe place . . . — Map (db m24194) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Coltons Point — Mother of Light Shrine
On Point Breeze Road 0.2 miles east of Colton Point Road (Maryland Route 242), on the left when traveling east.
East Face Maryland was dedicated to Mary, the Mother of God, during the first Mass held on St. Clement's Island. John Carroll, the first Catholic Bishop of the United States declared our young nation to be under Mary's protection in 1792. . . . — Map (db m9496) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Coltons Point — Potomac River Dory Boat
On Point Breeze Road 0.2 miles east of Colton Point Road (Maryland Route 242), on the left when traveling east.
The Potomac River dory boat originated around the 1880s and was built almost exclusively within this area of St. Mary's County, Maryland. How the name dory boat came to be is unknown, but its unique design features a V-bottom, planked lengthwise . . . — Map (db m22148) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Coltons Point — Saint Clement’s Island(One-half mile offshore)
On Point Breeze Road 0.2 miles east of Colton Point Road (Route 242), on the left when traveling east.
Site of the first landing of Governor Leonard Calvert and the Maryland colonists, March 25, 1634. Here, on the same day, Father Andrew White, S. J. celebrated the first Catholic mass in the British-American colonies. The Island became a part of . . . — Map (db m9152) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Coltons Point — St. Clement's Island
Near Point Breeze Road 0.2 miles from Colton Point Road (Maryland Route 242).
To this island in March 1634, Governor Leonard Calvert and the first Maryland colonists came in the vessels Ark and Dove. Here they took possession of the Province of Maryland, erected a cross of Maryland wood and celebrated the Holy Sacrifice. Here . . . — Map (db m24197) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Coltons Point — St. Clement's Island Lighthouse"None of the Lighthouses ... are Safe"
On Point Breeze Road 0.2 miles east of Colton Point Road (Route 242), on the left when traveling east.
On May 19, 1864 Confederates raided St. Clement's Island to destroy the 1851 lighthouse. Capt. John Goldsmith, a county residence who had once owned the island, led the attack, having joined the Confederate army in Virginia. In a thirty-foot . . . — Map (db m9181) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Coltons Point — St. Clements Manor1639 — 11,400 acres —
On Point Breeze Road 0.2 miles east of Colton Point Road (Maryland Route 242), on the left when traveling east.
In St. Clements Hundred, St. Mary’s County laid out with court leet and baron, and patented to Dr. Thomas Gerard, Esq. and bequeathed to his oldest son Capt. Justinian Gerard — Map (db m9183) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Coltons Point — The Shrinking Island
Near Point Breeze Road 0.2 miles east of Colton Point Road (Maryland Route 242).
Glaciers, storms, tides and winds are constantly creating and destroying islands and shorelines throughout the Chesapeake Bay region. According to Maryland settler and Jesuit missionary Father Andrew White, St. Clement's Island was 400 acres in . . . — Map (db m24196) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Coltons Point — Welcome to St. Clement's Island
Near Point Breeze Road 0.2 miles from Colton Point Road (Route 242).
This small island, one of hundreds in the Chesapeake Bay watershed, has a history as old as Maryland. St. Clement's was the first landfall of the Maryland settlers in 1634. A Potomac River landmark for almost four centuries, it has been a . . . — Map (db m24200) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Coltons Point — Welcome to St. Clement's Island
Near Point Breeze Road 0.2 miles east of Colton Point Road (Maryland Route 242).
This small island, one of hundreds in the Chesapeake Bay watershed, has a history as old as Maryland. St. Clement's was the first landfall of the Maryland settlers in 1634. A Potomac River landmark for almost four centuries, it has been a . . . — Map (db m24201) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Compton — Manor of Little Brittaine
On Newtowne Neck Road.
Later known as "Newtowne Manor" in New Towne Hundred, St. Mary's Co. Patented in 1640 to William Bretton, Gent. early clerk of the general assembly, member of second general assembly, magistrate of St. Mary's Co. — Map (db m9041) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Compton — The Wished For Country
Near Newtowne Neck Road (Maryland Route 243).
After braving a four month voyage from England, the Maryland colonists first landed on St. Clements Island. It was here that Governor Leonard Calvert took possession "...for Saviour and Sovereigh..." on March 25, 1634. The seeds of Religious . . . — Map (db m9182) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Great Mills — Cecil's General Store
On Indian Bridge Road (Maryland Route 471) 0.3 miles north of Point Lookout Road (Maryland Route 5), on the left when traveling north.
The present Cecil store and house were built in 1906. This building replaced a one story store at Clifton Factory that stood on the same site, and the house stands on the same site of an old three story structure called "The Tavern." This . . . — Map (db m138942) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Great Mills — Cecil's MillGreat Mills
On Indian Bridge Road (Maryland Route 471) 0.3 miles north of Point Lookout Road, on the right when traveling north.
Around 1900, John Thomas Cecil built this mill over the foundation of W.W. Cecil's mill which was torn down. The first belt driven roller mill in the county and the saw mill were operated by water power until Cecil's death in 1927. His son, H. Robb . . . — Map (db m138936) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Great Mills — Cecil's Mill Historic District
On Indian Bridge Road (Maryland Route 471) 0.2 miles north of U.S. 5, on the right when traveling north.
The original water-powered textile mill. "Clifton factory," built in 1812,was rebuilt as a flour mill in 1900 by John Thomas Cecil. Historic district also includes Cecil's Country Store and post office built in 1906. — Map (db m16792) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Great Mills — Cecil's Saw Mill
On Indian Bridge Road (Maryland Route 471) 0.2 miles north of Point Lookout Road, on the right when traveling north.
A saw mill has been on this site since circa 1820. The present structure has been restored using most of the "American" saw mill parts dating from 1910. The mill has not operated since the fatal injury of H. Robb Cecil on 22 April 1959. Restoration . . . — Map (db m62591) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Great Mills — Clifton FactoryGreat Mills
On Indian Bridge Road (Maryland Route 471) 0.3 miles north of Point Lookout Road (Maryland Route 5), on the right when traveling north.
A textile factory was built originally on this site in an attempt to develop cotton as an alternative crop to tobacco, still a major crop in this area. One of the county's leading manufacturing industries in the early 1800's, in time the cotton crop . . . — Map (db m138938) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Great Mills — Rat Hall
On Indian Bridge Road (Maryland Route 471) 0.3 miles north of Point Lookout Road (Maryland Route 5).
During the early 1800's, the flourishing textile industry at Clifton Factory supported what was considered a "cotton town." Land was subdivided into small lots to accommodate housing for the growing community. Several of these small structures were . . . — Map (db m138939) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Hillville — Fenwick Manor
On Jones Wharf Road.
On April 24, 1651 Cuthbert Fenwick was granted absolute lordship of Fenwick Manor. Sometimes called St. Cuthbert's Manor, with all the rights and privileges of holding court baron and court leet. The manor was 2,000 acres in resurrection hundred on . . . — Map (db m81163) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Hollywood — Port of Entry
Near Sotterley Lane.
During colonial days, English government has hopes of exporting furs, foodstuffs, timber, flax and other products from Maryland's ports to the home county. In reality, tobacco was the only notable item produced and exported to England in large . . . — Map (db m62630) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Hollywood — Rosedale
Near Rosedale Manor Lane 0.2 miles north of Steer Horn Neck Road.
Part of Resurrection Manor An original grant in 1650 of 4000 acres to Thomas Cornwaleys, Esq. with Court Leet and Court Baron "and all things belonging therunto by law and custom of England" Dedicated May 1972 by the National Society of . . . — Map (db m62460) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Hollywood — Sotterley's Remaining Slave Cabin
Near Sotterley Lane at Vista Road.
In the 18th century, enslaved African Americans were housed in outlying barns and buildings of the plantation, as well as in the passageways of the manor house. By the 19th century, approximately ten slave cabins were constructed between the ravine . . . — Map (db m62593) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Hollywood — Tobacco's Impact
Near Sotterley Lane.
Tobacco farming dramatically changed Southern Maryland's natural environment by depleting the rich soils of nutrients. In the 18th and 19th centuries, farmers rotated fields, introduced fertilizers and guano (bat dung), and employed deeper plowing . . . — Map (db m62613) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Hollywood — War Hits HomeStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
Near Sotterley Lane.
Sotterley and other nearby plantations paid a heavy price in the War of 1812. British blockades impeded trade of their principal cash crop -- tobacco -- and enemy raids plundered the region. In June 1814 British forces landed near Sotterley, . . . — Map (db m62610) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Leonardtown — A Town SparedStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
On Guyther Drive when traveling south.
In July 1813, British troops seized St. Clements and St. George Islands and established a base at Point Lookout. From there they repeatedly raided the countryside, terrorizing local residents They ramped up their assault in the summer of . . . — Map (db m80392) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Leonardtown — Center of CitizenshipTarget of Three-Prong Attack
On Washington Street. Reported missing.
Leonardtown's Early Years Carved from a large land grant named New Towne Hundred by an act of Maryland's Early Colonial government to advance commerce, this area had been known by several other names --Sheppard's Old Fields, Seymour Towne, . . . — Map (db m81523) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Leonardtown — Fun on the WaterfrontLeonardtown Wharf
Near Washington Street.
The waterfront was fun and exciting for all ages. The last quarter of the 19th century has been called Maryland's Golden Age. It was a time of expanding educational and economic opportunities and during those years, the waterfront provided . . . — Map (db m62711) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Leonardtown — Invasion!Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
Near Washington Street (Maryland Route 326).
Imagine the scene here on July 19, 1814, as Breton Bay filled with barges of British Royal Marines intent on attacking Leonardtown. Rear Admiral George Cockburn led the invasion force that came ashore at the town wharf. Raiders also approached the . . . — Map (db m62640) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Leonardtown — LeonardtownEstablished in 1660
On Washington Street (Business Maryland Route 5) at Leonardtown Road (Business Maryland Route 5), in the median on Washington Street.
Named Seymour Town in honor of Governor John Seymour and designated St. Mary’s county seat by the General Assembly in 1708. Name changed to Leonardtown by the General Assembly in 1728 in honor of Leonard Calvert, first colonial governor of Maryland. — Map (db m953) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Leonardtown — LeonardtownSpies, Intriguers and Blockade Runners
On Courthouse Drive west of Washington Street (Maryland Route 326), on the right when traveling east.
When the white citizens of St. Mary’s County voted here in the 1860 presidential election, John Breckenridge, the secessionist candidate who carried Maryland, got 920 votes. Abraham Lincoln received 9 percent of the popular Maryland vote; the . . . — Map (db m955) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Leonardtown — Site of the Methodist Episcopal Meeting House (c.1847)
On Washington Street when traveling north.
The Oldest Surviving Building on Washington Street A Prime Example of Adaptive Re-Use Listed in the Maryland Historical Trust 1852 – Wesley Chapel 1875 – St.Mary's Reading Room         and Debating Society – Library . . . — Map (db m81522) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Leonardtown — St. Mary's County Veterans Memorial
On Washington Street just north of Park Avenue, in the median.
The citizens of St. Mary's County dedicate this monument in memory of those who made the supreme sacrifice and those who valiantly served Korean War 1950 - 1955 • Bennett, Henry A., Pvt USA, Leonardtown, KIA Apr. 11, 1951 • . . . — Map (db m138982) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Leonardtown — Steamboats at the WaterfrontLeonardtown Wharf
Near Washington Street.
A Way of life...never to be seen again. David C. Holly, Tidewater by Steamboat In the midst of the War of 1812, The Chesapeake, first steamboat built to ply the waters of the Chesapeake Bay, safely made its maiden voyage . . . — Map (db m62718) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Leonardtown — The Great House
Near Court House Drive when traveling east.
On this site, lot 39, as designated of a plat of Leonardtown c. 1728, was constructed the “Great House” of John Stewart. Built c. 1734, the structure stood until 1960 and over the years served many purposes being referenced at various . . . — Map (db m80379) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Leonardtown — The Mural Story
On Washington Street (Business Maryland Route 5) near Leonardtown Road (Business Maryland Route 5), on the right when traveling north.
The mural scene depicts various time periods in Leonardtown’s history. In general, the left side of the painting presents an older time period, around the turn of the century. As you move to the right, the chronology advances to a point in the . . . — Map (db m957) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Leonardtown — This Cannon
On Courthouse Drive west of Washington Street (Maryland Route 326), on the right when traveling east.
This cannon was brought to Maryland in 1634 on The Ark. Used in defense of St. Mary’s City and as a St. Inigoes Manor boundary marker. Presented to St. Mary’s County Historical Society by The Society of Jesus. (original inscription . . . — Map (db m956) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Leonardtown — Trade on the WaterfrontLeonardtown Wharf
Near Washington Street.
The Wharf Connected Leonardtown to the outside world. Before roads were built, or rails laid for trains, goods and people traveled by ship. In the mid-1600s, ships called directly at the wharves of Maryland plantations to pick up tobacco, . . . — Map (db m62678) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Leonardtown — Tudor Hall
Near Tudor Place just east of Camalier Drive when traveling east.
Formerly Americus Felix Secundus Built by Abraham Barnes in 1750 Extensively Enlarged by Philip Key In 1796 Is Now Dedicated to All Citizens of St. Mary's County As a Free Public Library The Gift of Mary Patterson Davidson 1950 . . . — Map (db m80358) HM WM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Leonardtown — War Comes to Breton BayTudor Hall — Grand Home of Maryland Patriots —
On Key Way at Tudor Hall Road, on the left when traveling south on Key Way.
In 1812, our young Nation went to war against what was then the mightiest sea power on earth - Great Britain. It has been suggested that what Americans call the War of 1812 was instead the "American Theater" of the very first wrold war when France . . . — Map (db m17428) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Leonardtown — World War I Monument -- LeonardtownGloria Pro Patria In Armis Contendere
On Washington Street (Maryland Route 326), on the right when traveling north.
This Monument is gratefully erected by the citizens of St. Mary's County in honor of her heroes in the World War 1917-1918 and dedicated to this 11th day of November 1921 Gloria Pro Patria Mori The Names on this monument are . . . — Map (db m62749) WM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Lexington Park — Against the OddsStar-Spangled Banner National Trail
Near Three Notch Road (Maryland Route 5).
Both a squadron of the British navy and severe weather challenged the famed Chesapeake Flotilla off Cedar Point on June 1, 1814. The modest fleet of armed barges was assembled by Joshua Barney to harass British ships. With an inadequate professional . . . — Map (db m62589) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Lexington Park — AIM-9H Sidewinder Missile
Near Three Notch Road (Maryland Route 235) north of Buse Road, on the right when traveling north.
The First Solid-State Sidewinder The AIM-9 Sidewinder air-to-air missile was developed by the Navy's Pacific Missile Test Center at China Lake, California, in the early 1950s. It was the first missile to be guided by tracking the heat . . . — Map (db m138641) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Lexington Park — Architectural Significance of the First Lexington Park Community
On Rennell Avenue, W west of S. Coral Place, on the right when traveling west.
The U.S. Navy developed Lexington Park to house the civilian workers who streamed into the area following the establishment of the Patuxent River Naval Air Station. Named for the storied carrier Lexington, it was the first planned community . . . — Map (db m56719) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Lexington Park — Beech T-34B Mentor
Near Three Notch Road (Maryland Route 235) just north of Buse Road, on the right when traveling north.
Training Naval Aviators for Over Four Decades Loosely based on the popular civil Beech Bonanza aircraft, the T-34 began replacing the Navy's original T-6 Texan (also known as the SNJ) in 1954. In 2000, T34Cs began being replaced by the T-6A . . . — Map (db m138623) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Lexington Park — Bell TH-1L Iroquois
Near Three Notch Road (Maryland Route 235) just north of Buse Road, on the right when traveling north. Reported damaged.
The "Huey" After winning the U.S. Army's 1952 competition for a light utility helicopter, the H-1 "Huey" became the West's most popular, most versatile, and longest-lived military helicopter. In 1962, the U.S. Marine Corps selected the . . . — Map (db m138660) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Lexington Park — Bell-Boeing MV-22B Osprey Test Aircraft No. 8 ("Eight-ball")
Near Three Notch Road (Maryland Route 235) just north of Buse Road, on the right when traveling north.
Display Aircraft: MV-22B, Bureau Number 164940, is one of four Engineering and Manufacturing Development (EMD) test aircraft and the 8th Osprey built. Manufactured in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and Arlington, Texas. Its first flight was on 23 . . . — Map (db m138668) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Lexington Park — Boeing Vertol CH-46E Sea Knight
Near Three Notch Road (Maryland Route 235) just north of Buse Road, on the right when traveling north.
The "Battle Phrog" The Sea Knight was developed as an assault helicopter for the U.S. Marine Corps. It featured tandem rotors (one in front, one in back) that folded for shipboard stowage. Although other helicopters with tandem rotors preceded . . . — Map (db m138659) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Lexington Park — Boeing X-32B JSF Demonstrator
Near Three Notch Road (Maryland Route 235) north of Buse Road, on the right when traveling north.
Almost the Joint Strike Fighter In 1996 the Joint Strike Fighter (JSF) program awarded $750 million contracts to both Boeing and Lockheed Martin. Each contractor was to design and build two JSF demonstrators to compare different propulsion . . . — Map (db m138656) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Lexington Park — Cedar Point Lighthouse
Near Three Notch Road (Maryland Route 235) north of Pegg Road/Burse Rd., on the right when traveling east.
Panel 1: Chronology The Cedar Point Lighthouse marked the southern point of the confluence of the Chesapeake Bay and the Patuxent River during the years from its completion in 1896 until it was abandoned by the Coast Guard in 1928. This . . . — Map (db m62467) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Lexington Park — Cedar Point Lighthouse Cupola (1896)
Near Three Notch Road (Maryland Route 235) just north of Buse Road, on the right when traveling north.
A Chesapeake Landmark Erected in 1896, the Cedar Point Lighthouse marked the southern point of where the Patuxent River and Chesapeake Bay come together. The lighthouse was a three-story brick and frame structure, with its cupola mounted 50 . . . — Map (db m138622) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Lexington Park — Douglas F-6A (F4D) Skyray
Near Three Notch Road (Maryland Route 235) north of Buse Road, on the right when traveling north.
The First Carrier-Based Interceptor One of the most important of the early Navy jets, the F-6A (designated F4D—or "Ford"—before 1962) exploited advanced engine and all-weather radar technologies to prove that carrier-based aircraft . . . — Map (db m138631) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Lexington Park — Douglas NA-4M Skyhawk
Near Three Notch Road (Maryland Route 235) just north of Buse Road, on the right when traveling north.
More Than An Attack Aircraft Affectionately known as the "Scooter," the A-4 satisfied the Navy's need for a low-complexity successor to the equality unsophisticated, propeller-driven A-1 Skyraider attack aircraft. Over 3000 A-4s were operated . . . — Map (db m138632) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Lexington Park — Grumman A-6 Intruder
On Three Notch Road (SR 235).
The Intruder is a medium-attack, all weather day-night carrier-based combat aircraft. Its first flight (prototype YA-2F1 BuNo 147864) was on 16 April 1960. The Navy’s designation of the Intruder was changed from the A-2F to the A-6A in October 1962. . . . — Map (db m94285) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Lexington Park — Grumman A-6E Intruder
Near Three Notch Road (Maryland Route 235) just north of Buse Road, on the right when traveling north.
All-Weather Attack, Day or Night Grumman's A-6 Intruder was designed around a powerful air-to-surface radar. The final version, the A-6E, also featured an infrared/laser multi-sensor. In adverse conditions, these radar and optical systems . . . — Map (db m138665) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Lexington Park — Grumman E-2B Hawkeye
Near Three Notch Road (Maryland Route 235) north of Buse Road, on the right when traveling north.
Eye in the Sky Housing a powerful search radar antenna, the E-2's 24-foot diameter rotating dome is unmistakable. The first aircraft designated for Airborne Early Warning, the E-2 conducts air, sea, and land surveillance. It can control . . . — Map (db m138661) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Lexington Park — Grumman F-9J Cougar
Near Three Notch Road (Maryland Route 235) north of Buse Road, on the right when traveling north.
A Capable Cat The F9F was unquestionably the most successful of the Navy's early jets. From the subsonic, straight-winged Panther of the Korean War, the F9F series evolved into supersonic swept-wing F9F-6 and F9F-8 Cougars. F9F-8Bs . . . — Map (db m138634) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Lexington Park — Grumman NF-14D Tomcat
Near Three Notch Road (Maryland Route 235) north of Buse Road, on the right when traveling north.
The Ultimate Cat The Tomcat was designed with "variable geometry" wings that extended straight out from the fuselage for takeoffs and landings, but swept back at a 68°-degree angle for high-speed flight. Originally a fighter/interceptor for . . . — Map (db m138644) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Lexington Park — Grumman S-2D Tracker
Near Three Notch Road (Maryland Route 235) just north of Buse Road, on the right when traveling north.
A New Approach to Anti-Submarine Warfare Nicknamed "Stoof" (a rough pronunciation of its designation), the S2F (later re-designated S-2), was the first carrier-based aircraft able to both search for an attack submarines. Previously, the two . . . — Map (db m138646) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Lexington Park — Kaman SH-2G Super Seasprite
Near Three Notch Road (Maryland Route 235) just north of Buse Road, on the right when traveling north.
A Swiss Army Knife with Rotors Originally designed as a single-engine utility helicopter, the Seasprite quickly became a twin-engine aircraft with multiple versions and missions. The HH-2C, with armor and guns was used for combat search and . . . — Map (db m138658) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Lexington Park — Lockheed S-3B Viking
Near Three Notch Road (Maryland Route 235) just north of Buse Road, on the right when traveling north.
The Last of the Breed Successor to the propeller-driven S-2 Tracker (also here on PRNAM's flight line), the S-3 gave its crews a well-integrated suite of ASW (anti-submarine warfare) and anti-ship systems with more warfighting capability and . . . — Map (db m138657) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Lexington Park — LTV NA-7A Corsair II
Near Three Notch Road (Maryland Route 235) north of Buse Road, on the right when traveling north.
No Slack in Light Attack A derivative of the F-8 fighter, the Ling Temco Vought (LTV) A-7 Corsair II came into prominence during the Vietnam War, where it served as a close air support and attack aircraft. The first aircraft with a cockpit . . . — Map (db m138637) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Lexington Park — McDonnell Douglas AV-8B Harrier II
Near Three Notch Road (Maryland Route 235) north of Buse Road, on the right when traveling north.
The First of Its Kind The McDonnell Douglas/Boeing AV-8B Harrier II evolved from the British Hakwer Siddeley Type Number P.1127 (1957). Together, the United Kingdom, United States and Germany funded the evaluation of nine development aircraft, . . . — Map (db m138669) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Lexington Park — McDonnell Douglas F/A-18A Hornet
Near Three Notch Road (Maryland Route 235) just north of Buse Road, on the right when traveling north.
A True Multi-Role Fighter In 1975 the U.S. Navy / Marine Corps competitively chose the F/A-18 Hornet to replace the F-4 Phantom II, A-4 Skyhawk, and A-7 Corsair II fighter and attack aircraft. The Hornet was seen as an affordable, single-seat . . . — Map (db m138663) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Lexington Park — McDonnell Douglas F-4J Phantom II
Near Three Notch Road (Maryland Route 235) just north of Buse Road, on the right when traveling north.
The First Modern Strike Fighter As the direct descendent of the disappointing F3H Demon, the F-4's success was anything but assured. But, with over 5000 F-4s of various versions ultimately delivered to the U.S. Navy, U.S. Marine Corps, U.S. Air . . . — Map (db m138640) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Lexington Park — Mk-82 500-lb Snakeye Bomb
Near Three Notch Road north of Buse Road, on the right when traveling north.
A Low-Level "Dumb" Bomb The Mark-80 series of unguided general-purpose bombs was first used in the Vietnam War. The Mk-80 series' 500-lb variant is the Mk-82. Like all Mk-80 series bombs, the Mk-82 cannot be safely employed at low altitudes in . . . — Map (db m138642) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Lexington Park — NC-8A Mobile Electric Power Plant (MEPP)
Near Three Notch Road (Maryland Route 235) just north of Buse Road, on the right when traveling north.
Powering Naval Aircraft Mobile electric power plants (MEPPs) are used on the flight decks of aircraft carriers and on shore facilities. MEPPs supply regulated electrical power for aircraft servicing, starting, maintenance, and testing. The . . . — Map (db m138627) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Lexington Park — North American RA-5C Vigilante
Near Three Notch Road (Maryland Route 235) just north of Buse Road, on the right when traveling north.
Very Fast, Very Heavy Reconnaissance The RA-5C began as the A3J Vigilante (redesignated A-5 in 1962), a carrier-based bomber designed to deliver a nuclear weapon and travel at twice the speed of sound. Two years after Vigilantes were fielded, . . . — Map (db m138664) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Lexington Park — North American T-2C Buckeye
Near Three Notch Road (Maryland Route 235) just north of Buse Road, on the right when traveling north.
Training Jet Jocks For over four decades, aspiring Navy and Marine Corps pilots learned the art of operating jets from aircraft carriers in a T-2 Buckeye. Unglamorous and unsophisticated, the T-2 was designed for only one vitally important . . . — Map (db m138625) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Lexington Park — North American T-39D Sabreliner
Near Three Notch Road (Maryland Route 235) north of Thomas Johnson Road, on the right when traveling north.
Naval Flight Officer Training The civilian Sabreliner is a late-1950s-era business jet with wings based on those of the F-86 Sabre jet liner. In the early 1960s, the U.S. Navy converted a number of Sabreliners into T-39 aircraft for the purpose . . . — Map (db m138645) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Lexington Park — Northrop Grumman EA-6B Prowler
Near Three Notch Road (Maryland Route 235) just north of Buse Road, on the right when traveling north.
Electronic Warfare First fielded in 1971, the EA-6B Prowler was derived from Grumman's A-6 Intruder attack aircraft. The long-range, all-weather EA-6B was flown by the U.S. Navy and Marine Corps squadrons, but never sold to foreign nations. . . . — Map (db m138666) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Lexington Park — Patuxent River Naval Air MuseumNaval Air Station, Patuxent River, Maryland
Near Three Notch Road (Maryland Route 235) north of Pegg Road, on the right when traveling north.
This Museum is the vision of a group of Navy and civilian personnel who in 1974 set out to formally organize a museum to preserve and celebrate the history of the Naval Air Test Center at Patuxent River. They received support from the . . . — Map (db m60591) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Lexington Park — Raytheon T-6A Texan II
Near Three Notch Road (Maryland Route 235) just north of Buse Road, on the right when traveling north.
Making Naval Aviators After completing ground school, the two-seat T-6 Texan II is the first aircraft an aspiring Naval Aviator will fly. Derived from the commercial Pilatus PC-9 aircraft, the T-6A won the Joint Primary Aircraft Training System . . . — Map (db m138624) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Lexington Park — Saint Nicholas Church
On Three Notch Road (Maryland Route 235) south of Great Mills Road (Maryland Route 246), on the right when traveling north.
1637 Jesuit Mission of Father Andrew White was located a mile from here on Patuxent River, on land given by Mattapanient Indian Chief Macquacomen. The first St. Nicholas Church was built at this site in 1796 by Jesuit Father James Walton. Present . . . — Map (db m999) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Lexington Park — Sikorsky CH-53A Sea Stallion
On Three Notch Road (SR 235). Reported permanently removed.
The CH-53A, the predecessor of America’s largest helicopter today, the CH-53E, was first flown in October 1964 and began entering service in 1966. Within 16,000 lb of cargo capacity, this large all-weather-capable helicopter could carry two jeeps, . . . — Map (db m94287) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Lexington Park — Sikorsky CH-53A Sea Stallion
Near Three Notch Road (Maryland Route 235) just north of Buse Road, on the right when traveling north.
Heavy Lifting Sikorsky's CH-53 series started big and just kept growing. The first major leap came with the CH-53E Super Stallion, which added a third engine (the first generation CH-53A before you has two) and considerably more lift . . . — Map (db m138667) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Lexington Park — St. Mary’s County and U.S. Navy History
On Rennell Avenue, W. west of S. Coral Drive, on the right when traveling west.
In 1942, the Department of Defense acquired land in St. Mary’s County and began construction of the Patuxent River Naval Air Station, a facility that would play a crucial role in testing airplanes used on World War II aircraft carriers. The . . . — Map (db m56863) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Lexington Park — TA-75A Tow Tractor
Moving Naval Aircraft Powered by a Ford 302 V-8 gasoline engine, the United Tractor TA-75A was designed to tow aircraft weighing up to 75,000 pounds. The rear deck could mount a gas turbine for starting jet aircraft engines. TA-75As were used . . . — Map (db m138630) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Lexington Park — The African American Monument In Elmer Brown Freedom Park
On Tulagi Place at Three Notch Road on Tulagi Place.
The Monument, a project of Unified Committee for Afro­-American Contributions of St. Mary's County, was dedicated On July 29, 2000, Its purpose is to serve as an external reminder of the contributions of African Americans to the growth and . . . — Map (db m128945) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Lexington Park — The F9F-8B “Cougar”
Near Three Notch Road.
The F9F-8B “Cougar” that you see here was graciously donated and transported to this museum by the city of Richmond, Virginia. It had been displayed at their visitors center for many years and had fallen into disrepair. As noted, . . . — Map (db m128946) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Lexington Park — United States Colored TroopsCivil War Memorial Monument
On Rennell Avenue, West east of Willows Road.
African Americans have served in every war since the American Revolution. During the Civil War, more that 180,000 African Americans comprising 170 units served in the Union Army and 29,511 served in the Union Navy. Nearly 700 United States Colored . . . — Map (db m56476) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Lexington Park — Welcome to the African American Monument of St. Mary's County
On Three Notch Road (Maryland Route 5) at Tulagi Place, on the right when traveling south on Three Notch Road.
This tribute to the unique contributions of African Americans in St. Mary's County spans the following areas: religion, farming, trades, domestic service, education, business, industry, community service, arts entertainment, health, sports, . . . — Map (db m62448) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Mechanicsville — "Three Notch Road"
On Three Notch Road (Maryland Route 235) near Laurel Grove Road.
A law of 1704 provides that "three notches of equal distance" marked on the trees indicated" a road leading to a ferry. "Two notches with another notch a distance above the other two" a road to a court house. "a slip cut down . . . — Map (db m8931) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Mechanicsville — Amish CommunityThree Notch Trail
Near New Market Road (Maryland Route 6) 0.1 miles west of Three Notch Road (Maryland Route 5), on the right when traveling west.
The Amish community in St. Mary’s is the largest of three Amish settlements in Maryland. The community is located primarily along MD Routes 6 and 236 in New Market, Charlotte Hall and neighboring Charles County. The Amish moved to the area in 1940 . . . — Map (db m135330) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Mechanicsville — Extending the RailThree Notch Trail
Near Reeves Road 0.2 miles south of Old Village Road (Old Maryland Route 5), on the right when traveling south.
The federal government purchased the Washington, Brandywine and Point Lookout Railroad, then known as the Farmers' Railroad, in 1942. During WWII, the Navy extended the railroad from Forest Hall to the Patuxent River Naval Air Station to transport . . . — Map (db m135332) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Mechanicsville — Forest HallThree Notch Trail
Near Baptist Church Road 0.5 miles south of Old Village Road (Old Maryland Route 5), on the left when traveling south.
The Forest Hall store served as a sidetrack for passenger pick up and train turn around before the U.S. Navy began management of the railroad in 1942 and extended the line to the Patuxent River Naval Air Station. The background picture is from the . . . — Map (db m135333) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Mechanicsville — Three Notch RoadThree Notch Trail
Near Morganza Turner Road 0.2 miles south of Three Notch Road (Maryland Route 235), on the right when traveling south.
Three Notch Road has served as the main highway between northern St. Mary's and Point Lookout since the days of Native Americans and later the English colonists. The name is likely attributed to a 1704 law that stipulated "three notches of equal . . . — Map (db m135335) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Mechanicsville — Three Notch TrailJohn V. Baggett Park
Near Three Notch Road (Maryland Route 235) east of Laurel Grove Road, on the right when traveling east.
In 2003 the Commissioners of St. Mary's County authorized beginning a rails-to-trails project in St. Mary's County. The Three Notch Trail is a 10' wide multi-use trail constructed on the former railroad right-of-way, which runs south from . . . — Map (db m135336) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Mechanicsville — Tobacco BarnsThree Notch Trail
Near Point Lookout Road (Maryland Route 5) 0.8 miles south of Three Notch Road (Maryland Route 235), on the left when traveling south.
In 17th-century Maryland up until the late 1990's tobacco was the agricultural mainstay in Southern Maryland. Tobacco barns were a critical part of this farming effort, designed to air-cure tobacco plants inside, with abundant ventilation doors on . . . — Map (db m135334) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Mechanicsville — Village of MechanicsvilleThree Notch Trail
Near Mechanicsville Road 0.1 miles west of Old Village Road (Old Maryland Route 5), on the left when traveling south.
The Village of Mechanicsville is a small, unincorporated community established about 1850 and is known for its agriculture, many small businesses, churches, schools, community gathering places and historic homes. In the early days of the . . . — Map (db m135331) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Oraville — De La Brooke ManorSurveyed July 28, 1630
On New Market Turner Road (SR 6).
Robert Brooke First Lord of the Manor Born London 1602; died Brooke Place, 1655 Commander of Charles County, 1650. President Provincial Council and acting Governor of Maryland 1652. Council met at "De La Brooke" 1662. . . . — Map (db m81178) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Piney Point — Bay Lights
On Lighthouse Road.
Protecting ships from treacherous waters has been a necessity since ancient times when bonfires and strategically placed cottage lanterns warned seamen of dangers in fog and darkness. Lighthouses of the Chesapeake and Potomac River waterways are . . . — Map (db m9011) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Piney Point — British Landing PreventedJuly 17, 1776
On Piney Point Road, on the right when traveling south.
Capt. Rezin Beall (later Brig. Gen. in "Flying Camp") was wounded here in repulse of British efforts to cross to mainland from St. George's Island. Fighting continued until July 29, Lord Dunmore, commanding 72 marauding British vessels on Potomac . . . — Map (db m18720) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Piney Point — Lighthouse Keeper's Quarters
On Lighthouse Road.
Most free standing light houses were accompanied by "keeper's quarters," which housed the light keepers and their families. The Piney Point Lighthouse and keeper's quarters were built in 1836 by John Donahoo of Havre de Grace. The original brick . . . — Map (db m8978) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Piney Point — Map of Lower Potomac River and Chesapeake Bay
On Lighthouse Road.
Piney Point Lighthouse, Museum and Historic Park, a Chesapeake Bay Gateway, is one of your entry points to enjoy and learn about the places and stories of the Chesapeake and its watershed. The 64,000 square-mile watershed is a complete ecosystem. . . . — Map (db m9019) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Piney Point — Military Influence
On Lighthouse Road (Maryland Route 498) 0.1 miles west of Hotel Cove Lane, on the right when traveling west.
In 1921, the United States Navy sent the first torpedo testing barge from Alexandria, Virginia to Piney Point where a 33-year testing facility would be established. Later, with the onset of WW II in 1941, the torpedo testing became a 24-hour . . . — Map (db m138943) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Piney Point — Natural Highways
On Lighthouse Road.
The Chesapeake Bay and its many tributaries have served as natural highways since the beginning of civilization. With the gradual development of villages and settlements along the shorelines, the waterways became the primary means of transportation . . . — Map (db m9014) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Piney Point — OspreyPandion haliaetus
Near Lighthouse Road.
Visit Piney Point between March and October and you might see osprey at home on pilings used to moor oil barges. These graceful birds of prey return every year around St. Patricks Day from their winter homes in Brazil, Colombia or Venezuela. The . . . — Map (db m9016) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Piney Point — Piney Point“Summer White House”
On Lighthouse Road (SR 498).
The Piney Point area possesses its own unique social history and charm. Named for the loblolly and long leaf yellow pines along the shoreline, Piney Point became the social center of Washington D.C. between 1820 and 1910. President James Monroe . . . — Map (db m94280) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Piney Point — Piney Point Lighthouse
On Lighthouse Road.
On Christmas Eve 1835, the Federal Government purchased 2.5 acres of land from William and Charlotte Suter for $300. A year later the first lighthouse constructed entirely on the shoreline of the Potomac River went into service at Piney Point. . . . — Map (db m9007) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Piney Point — Piney Point LighthouseThe Potomac Flotilla
On Lighthouse Road.
In 1861, the U. S. created the Potomac Flotilla (gunboats and other armed vessels) to patrol the river and intercept Confederate blockade runners. Nevertheless, St. Mary's County residents frequently ferried supplies and men across to Virginia. A . . . — Map (db m65046) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Piney Point — Piney Point Lighthouse
On Lighthouse Road (SR 498).
On Christmas Eve of 1835, land consisting of 2.5 acres was purchased by the Federal Government from William and Charlotte Suter for three hundred dollars. The following year the first lighthouse constructed entirely on the shoreline of the Potomac . . . — Map (db m94283) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Piney Point — Piney Point Petroleum Terminal
On Lighthouse Road (Maryland Route 498) 0.1 miles west of Hotel Cove Lane, on the right when traveling west.
Serving the Washington area since 1904, Steuart Investment Company was a family-owned company headquartered in Chevy Chase, Maryland. Over the years, this company operated many businesses including the Steuart Petroleum Company, also established in . . . — Map (db m138979) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Piney Point — Potomac River Dory Boat
On Lighthouse Road (Maryland Route 498) 0.1 miles west of Hotel Cove Lane, on the right when traveling west.
The Potomac River dory boat was built almost exclusively within St. Mary's County, Maryland, and appeared around the 1880s when Maryland was known as the greatest oyster-producing region in the world. Originally designed as a two-masted sailing . . . — Map (db m138944) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Piney Point — Potomac River Military Testing
On Lighthouse Road.
Almost from the beginning of the new nation, the United States established military facilities along the Potomac River - to test guns and munitions before placing them into service, to train troops and to defend the Nation's Capital. Piney Point . . . — Map (db m8974) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Ridge — Cardinal Gibbons Institute
Near St. Peters Clavers Road.
History of Cardinal Gibbons Institute In November 1916, three Catholic priests, Fathers LaFarge, Emerick, and Matthews met with blacks from St. Mary’s county to discuss their plans to have a national industrial school. In May 1917, land was . . . — Map (db m128947) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Scotland — "Contraband" Camp
On Maryland Route 5.
During the Civil War, thousands of enslaved African-Americans escaped from captivity in the South to liberty in the North. The grounds before once sheltered these freedom-seekers, know at that time as “Contraband”. Conditions in the . . . — Map (db m104760) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Scotland — "The Bean Pot"
On Maryland Route 5.
On June 10, 1865 J.H. Thompson, former POW camp head surgeon, notified the public that Pt. Lookout had been “abandoned”. This notice was published in the St. Mary’s Gazette. The St. Mary’s Beacon newspaper had been seized during the war . . . — Map (db m60276) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Scotland — A Bustling Civil War Community
On Point Lookout Road (Maryland Route 5).
By the end of the Civil War in 1865, the military bases at Point Lookout had grown into a small city. Besides the hospitals and prison camp, you could find dockyards, saw mills and warehouses - even a railroad, a post office and newspaper. Point . . . — Map (db m8934) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Scotland — A Crucial PointStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
Near Point Lookout Road (Maryland Route 5).
This site, where the Chesapeake Bay and Potomac River merge, was an observation post for Americans during the War of 1812. It was also staging area for local militia in early summer of 1813. Two- to Three-thousand British troops occupied the . . . — Map (db m62446) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Scotland — A Place of History
On Maryland Route 5.
Point Lookout is a witness to much of our nation’s history. As you survey the vast expanse of Chesapeake Bay and the Potomac River, remember those who have come before.

Early Inhabitants Five thousand years ago, Native Americans first came . . . — Map (db m104745) HM

Maryland (St. Mary's County), Scotland — A Seaside Resort at Point Lookout
On Maryland Route 5.
The grassy area in front of you was once the site of a major resort. The geared wheels peeking out of the grass are all that remain. They were part of a power plant that provided lighting for the resort’ buildings and power for its water treatment . . . — Map (db m60316) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Scotland — Death at Point Lookout
On Maryland Route 5.
It is hard to imagine this tranquil site as a place of sickness, suffering and death. Yet during the Civil War, five graveyards marked Point Lookout. Why so many graves? In 1863, Union forces chose this isolated spot for a prisoner of war camp. . . . — Map (db m60286) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Scotland — Defense Strategies
On Point Lookout Road (Maryland Route 5).
Imagine defending this isolated peninsula during the Civil War. There were threats from within (from thousands of prisoners) and from without (by Confederate soldiers trying to free their comrades or gain territory). What's more, a pro-Southern . . . — Map (db m104758) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Scotland — Fort Lincoln
On Point Lookout Road (Maryland Route 5).
Standing before you is Fort Lincoln, the main Union fortification on the peninsula. As a key defense stronghold, Fort Lincoln, also known as Fort #2, was cleverly designed to resist attack. To defend against artillery fire or direct infantry . . . — Map (db m104759) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Scotland — John Wilkes BoothEscape of an Assassin — War on the Chesapeake Bay —
On Point Lookout Road, on its terminus loop (Maryland Route 5), on the right when traveling north.
Divided loyalties and ironies tore at Marylanders’ hearts throughout the Civil War: enslaved African-Americans and free United States Colored Troops; spies and smugglers; civilians imprisoned without trial to protect freedom; neighbors and families . . . — Map (db m1000) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Scotland — Let There Be LightPoint Lookout State Park — Maryland Park Service —
On Point Lookout Road, at its southernmost tip (Maryland Route 5), on the right when traveling north.
For 136 years, the Point lookout Lighthouse helped generations of Chesapeake Bay mariners avoid shoals, navigate through dense fog, and find the Potomac River’s mouth. The beam shone until 1966, when an automated light off Point Lookout assumed . . . — Map (db m104740) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Scotland — Maryland and the Confederacy
On Maryland Route 5.
The U.S. Government, located in Washington D.C. was surrounded by Maryland and Virginia. Since Virginia had already joined the Confederacy, it was critical in the survival of the Union that Maryland not be allowed to secede. The State was quickly . . . — Map (db m60278) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Scotland — Point Lookout Confederate Cemetery
On Point Lookout Road (Maryland Route 5) at St. Michaels Manor Way, on the right when traveling south on Point Lookout Road.
Erected by the United States to mark the burial place of Confederate Soldiers and Sailors who died at Point Lookout, Md., while prisoners of war and were there buried to the number of 3384, but whose remains were subsequently removed, either to . . . — Map (db m927) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Scotland — Point Lookout Confederate Cemetery
On Point Lookout Road (Maryland Route 5) at St. Michaels Manor Way, on the right when traveling south on Point Lookout Road.
Erected by the State of Maryland in memory of the Confederate Soldiers who died Prisoners of War at Point Lookout, from March 1st, 1864, to June 30th, 1865. (north face) “At the call of Patriotism and duty they encountered the . . . — Map (db m943) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Scotland — Point Lookout Confederate Cemetery
Near Point Lookout Road at St. Michael's Manor Way.
Camp Hoffman Prison The Union prison at Camp Hoffman, Maryland — called Point Lookout — opened in 1863. A 15-foot-high plank fence surrounded the 40-acre prison compound. The first prisoners arrived in July 1863-Confederates . . . — Map (db m128948) HM WM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Scotland — Point Lookout Prison
On Maryland Route 5.
This memorial plaza is to honor the sacrifices of the 52,264 Confederate soldiers, sailors and civilians imprisoned near here during the War Between the States. Point Lookout prison camp was established immediately following the Battle of Gettysburg . . . — Map (db m60250) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Scotland — Point Lookout Prison Camp
On Point Lookout Road (Maryland Route 5) at Scotland Beach Road, on the right when traveling east on Point Lookout Road.
History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived but if faced with courage, need not be lived again. - Maya Angelo To the memories of our past Who are patient and who wait, True and faithful to the last, For Easter morning . . . — Map (db m128949) WM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Scotland — Point Lookout Prisoner-Of-War Camp(1863–1865)
On Point Lookout Road (Route 5), on the left when traveling south.
After the Battle of Gettysburg, the Union established a prisoner-of-war depot near here. Confederate soldiers and Maryland civilians were imprisoned and guarded by 400 Union troops. With only tents for protection, 3,384 prisoners died. — Map (db m998) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Scotland — Point Lookout Prisoner-of-War Camp(1863-1865)
On Maryland Route 5.
After the battle of Gettysburg, the Union established a prisoner-of-war depot near here. Confederate soldiers and Maryland civilians were imprisoned and guarded by 400 Union troops, with only tents for protection. 3,384 prisoners died. State Roads . . . — Map (db m60283) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Scotland — Point Lookout State ParkHammond General Hospital
On Point Lookout Road, on its terminus loop (Maryland Route 5), on the right when traveling north.
Hammond General Hospital, opened at Point Lookout, Maryland, in August 1862, was named for Surgeon General William A. Hammond. The massive structure, built to accommodate 1,400 amen, was set on piles about two to three feet above ground and . . . — Map (db m1001) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Scotland — Point Lookout-Hammond Hospital
On Maryland Route 5.
This monument is dedicated to the memory of those soldiers, sailors, and hospital attendants from both North and South, who were here at Point Lookout from July 1862 to July 1865. This monument marks the general location of the Hammond Hospital — Map (db m60284) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Scotland — Prison Pen
Near Point Lookout Road (Maryland Route 5) south of Scotland Beach Road (Route 2.2), on the right when traveling south.
Here you see a partial reconstruction of Camp Hoffman, the largest Union prison camp for Confederate soldiers. Built after the Battle of Gettysburg, it was planned to hold 10,000 prisoners. However, more than five times that number—52,000 in . . . — Map (db m128950) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Scotland — Shipwreck!
On Point Lookout Road (Maryland Route 5).
Centuries of storms, fogs, shoals, collisions, combat, poor judgement and bad luck have plagued local mariners. Gazing across Point Lookout's waters, we can only wonder how many of their wrecks litter the bottom of the Chesapeake Bay and the Potomac . . . — Map (db m8935) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Scotland — Smallpox Epidemic
On Maryland Route 5.
Near this location during the Civil War was the smallpox hospital where thousands of people were quarantined. Highly contagious, horrible to behold and often fatal, smallpox was a dreaded disease. When the scourge hit the prison camp, officials . . . — Map (db m60285) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Scotland — Storm Blocks the Route to FreedomPoint Lookout State Park — Maryland Park Service —
On Point Lookout Road (Maryland Route 5).
In April 1848, the Chesapeake Bay's stormy weather doomed a maritime dash to freedom by 77 slaves from Washington D.C. Anti-slavery activist William L. Chapin had arranged for the schooner Pearl to spirit the 77 to New York and liberty. . . . — Map (db m62551) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Inigoes — Disaster at Ragged PointUSS Tulip Boilers an Ongoing Problem During the War
Near Cross Manor Road.
Immediately after commissioning the Tulip experienced boiler problems. In August 1863, her boilers were building pressure to hazardous conditions and in mid-October, she was ordered to the Washington Navy Yard for boiler repairs. Steam drums were . . . — Map (db m62179) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Inigoes — John LaFarge, S.J.
On Villa Road.
John LaFarge, S.J. (1880-1963) served St. Mary's County (1911-26). Priest, Educator, Editor, Author, Historian, Advocated for Justice and Human Rights. Founded the Catholic Interracial Council, the Cardinal Gibbons Institute and the Society of . . . — Map (db m128951) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Inigoes — St. Ignatius Church
On Villa Road when traveling west.
This Property St. Ignatius Church Has been placed on the the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of Interior — Map (db m80291) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Inigoes — The Manor of Cornwaleys’ Cross
On Point Lookout Road (U.S. 5) at Villa Road, on the right when traveling south on Point Lookout Road.
2000 acres granted Sept. 8th, 1639 to Thomas Cornwaleys who came to Maryland with “The Ark and The Dove.” He and Jerome Hawley were appointed “His Lordship’s Commissioners for the government of said Province” 1633 with . . . — Map (db m977) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Inigoes — The Tulip Disaster
Near Cross Manor Road.
On November 11, 1864, U.S.S. Tulip converted lighthouse tender gunboat, acting master William H. Smith, U.S. Navy commanding, departed this area for Washington for boiler repair. When off Piney Point, she blew up and sank, presumably . . . — Map (db m62177) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Inigoes — The Union's Defense
Near Cross Manor Road.
Potomac Flotilla Created to Protect Chesapeake Tidelands Maryland, especially Southern Maryland, was not "neutral" in the Civil War. The U.S. Navy realized early in the conflict that the Potomac River was both a conduit for attacks to the . . . — Map (db m104747) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Inigoes — USS Tulip Monument
Near Cross Manor Road.
In Memory of Those Who Perished in the Explosion of the U.S.S. Tulip, November 11, 1864 A Sacrifice of Lives In Discharge of Duty and in the Interest of Achieving Peace and Scientific Advance. Erected June 15, 1940 ~ Under an Act of . . . — Map (db m62180) WM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Mary's City — "...a hopeful Colony"Adapting
Near Point Lookout Road (Maryland Route 5) 0.4 miles west of Rosecroft Road, on the left when traveling west.
Maryland's first English settlers encountered a more variable climate than in England, and a land teeming with plants and animals not found in their mother country. Yaocomaco Indians taught the colonists much about farming, hunting, and . . . — Map (db m138722) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Mary's City — "...buried...in a most solemn manner"
Near Point Lookout Road 0.4 miles west of Rosecroft Road, on the left when traveling west.
From the mid-1630s until about 1730, "the Chapel Land" served as the final resting place for the remains of many of the colony's settlers and some of its most important historical figures, including Governor Leonard Calvert. It is likely that a high . . . — Map (db m138742) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Mary's City — "...for the good and happy Government"Governing
Near Old State House Road west of Point Lookout Road (Maryland Route 5), on the left when traveling north.
In 1632, King Charles I granted proprietorship of the Maryland colony to Cecil Calvert, the second Lord Baltimore. As Proprietor, Calvert was the sole owner. The carter gave him the powers necessary to defend, develop, administer and fully govern . . . — Map (db m138926) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Mary's City — "...once the Metropolis"Taking Shape
Near Point Lookout Road (Maryland Route 5) at Old State House Road, on the right when traveling east.
St. Mary's City was Maryland's capital from 1634 until 1695. Lord Baltimore wanted a typical European-style town with closely placed dwellings. During its early years, however, St. Mary's was a mere cluster of houses and taverns. The first . . . — Map (db m138676) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Mary's City — "a lande, even as God made it"Settling
Near Point Lookout Road (Maryland Route 5) 0.6 miles west of Rosecroft Road, on the left when traveling west.
Over the span of many generations, Native Americans relied upon the plants and animals of the Chesapeake Bay region to provide food, medicines, clothing, and building materials. Their hunting and fishing skills were matched by a thorough knowledge . . . — Map (db m138826) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Mary's City — "Dwell here, live plentifully, and be rich"Settling
Near Point Lookout Road (Maryland Route 5) east of Old State House Road, on the right when traveling east.
When English investors and colonists first glimpsed Maryland's abundance of natural resources, they hoped for easy profits. Unlike Native Americans who relied on nature for subsistence, Maryland's founders sought opportunities for wealth. The . . . — Map (db m138831) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Mary's City — "have Their houses near the Watters"Settling
Near Old State House Road west of Point Lookout Road (Maryland Route 5), on the left when traveling north.
Archaeological evidence and written documents from later periods show humans have been present along both sides of this river for thousands of years. For American Indians and European colonists, the river and creeks were part of a transportation . . . — Map (db m138912) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Mary's City — “...a convenient place for the administration of Justice.”Governing
On Old State House Road when traveling east.
This building is a reconstruction of the colony of Maryland's State House finished in 1676. The original brick State House was located just north of here on a bluff that is now the cemetery of Trinity Episcopal Church. In that building the . . . — Map (db m81583) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Mary's City — ...about the Corner of Vansweeringens Garden fence
Near Old State House Road west of Point Lookout Road (Maryland Route 5), on the left when traveling north.
Garrett Van Sweringen enclosed this lot with a stout palisade fence and planted a vegetable garden. We know this from both archaeology and documents. The Van Sweringens grew a variety of vegetables in the garden for the Council Chamber patrons and . . . — Map (db m138889) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Mary's City — ...Adjourn to the Arbour at Vansweringens
Near Old State House Road west of Point Lookout Road (Maryland Route 5), on the left when traveling north.
One of the unique offerings of Garrett Van Sweringen's lodging house was an arbor. It is the only known arbor in 17th-century Maryland or Virginia. Van Sweringen was probably following a popular Dutch practice when he built it. As a shaded outdoor . . . — Map (db m138884) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Mary's City — ...and Coffee House
Near Old State House Road 0.1 miles north of Point Lookout Road (Maryland Route 5), on the left when traveling west.
In his will, Garrett Van Sweringen left the Council Chamber and "and Coffee house" to his wife and children. It is one of the earliest references to a coffee house in English America. Although built as a brew and bake house, archaeological . . . — Map (db m138845) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Mary's City — A Busy Enterprise
Near Old State House Road west of Point Lookout Road (Maryland Route 5), on the left when traveling north.
This painting shows how the site may have appeared on the morning of May 10, 1692. On that day, the new royal governor, Sir Lionel Copley, met the legislature for the first time in the Council Chamber, and officially took control of Maryland from . . . — Map (db m138891) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Mary's City — A Busy Kitchen
Near Old State House Road west of Point Lookout Road (Maryland Route 5), on the left when traveling north.
The kitchen may have looked like this in May 1692. It is based on archaeological information, artifacts, and clues about the furnishings and the room's inhabitants found in an inventory of Van Sweringen's property made in 1700. The painting depicts . . . — Map (db m138854) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Mary's City — A Change in Government
Near Old State House Road west of Point Lookout Road (Maryland Route 5), on the left when traveling north.
As an aftershock of the "Glorious Revolution" in England, a bloodless rebellion occurred in 1689 against Lord Baltimore in Maryland. It temporarily ended rule by the Calvert family. The Protestant King William and Queen Mary took over the colony and . . . — Map (db m138849) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Mary's City — A Land in Need of LaborLaboring
Near Point Lookout Road (Maryland Route 5) 0.2 miles east of Old State House Road, on the right when traveling east.
Most immigrants to early Maryland came as indentured servants. In return for the cost of their voyage, men and women promised to work for four or more years for the person buying their contract or indenture. After completing their promised term, . . . — Map (db m138692) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Mary's City — A Pressing SituationTobacco Prize
Near Point Lookout Road (Maryland Route 5) 0.4 miles west of Rosecroft Road, on the left when traveling west.
Tobacco-prizes were designed to tightly compress the cured tobacco into hogsheads. Two basic types of prizes exist. The earlier version, dating back to colonial times, was a vertical prize which was less costly to build. These were similar to the . . . — Map (db m138702) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Mary's City — A Private Lodging House
On Old State House Road north of Point Lookout Road (Maryland Route 5), on the left when traveling north.
Garrett Van Sweringen ran a unique establishment. In Maryland, public inns were known as ordinaries. They had their prices for lodging, food, and drink fixed by law. They were open to all customers, and ordinary keepers could not choose who stayed . . . — Map (db m138851) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Mary's City — A Time of TroublesStruggling
On Middle Street Path just north of Aldermanbury Street Footpath, on the left when traveling north.
Civil war raged in England during the 1640s between King Charles I and his opponents in Parliament. Maryland's proprietary government, led by Lord Baltimore and other Catholics, sided with the King. MAny of the first colonists in Maryland, however, . . . — Map (db m138837) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Mary's City — After the Disastrous Fire
On Trinity Church Road near Point Lookout Road (Maryland Route 5).
Pro Deo. Pro Patria. This tablet erected in honor of Hon. Albert C. Ritchie, Governor of Maryland, members of the General Assembly 1924 and other public spirited citizens in recognition of their co-operation in restoring this historic . . . — Map (db m973) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Mary's City — Agricultural Change and Environmental Damage
Near Point Lookout Road (Maryland Route 5) 0.4 miles west of Rosecroft Road, on the left when traveling west.
During the 1600s and early 1700s, planters in Maryland cultivated their land the simplest of tools—the hoe. Corn and tobacco were the major crops and hoes worked well for tilling the soil between the stumps and roots of what had been a . . . — Map (db m138719) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Mary's City — All Things Fit for a CapitalTaking Shape
Near Old State House Road north of Point Lookout Road (Maryland Route 5), on the left when traveling north.
In 1668, Cecil Calvert, the proprietor of Maryland, incorporated St. Mary's as the first true city in his colony. It gained its own government led by a mayor and aldermen. As the capital, St. Mary's City was home to the Assembly, the courts, and the . . . — Map (db m138919) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Mary's City — An End of Freedom but Persistence of Faith
Near Point Lookout Road (Maryland Route 5) 0.4 miles west of Rosecroft Road, on the left when traveling west.
When Maryland's governor ordered the chapel door locked in 1704 and the legislature passed the Act to Prevent the Growth of Popery, a new chapter in religion began in the colony. Catholics were barred from holding office and voting, were . . . — Map (db m138756) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Mary's City — An Experiment with Liberty of Conscience
Near Point Lookout Road (Maryland Route 5) 0.4 miles west of Rosecroft Road, on the left when traveling west.
Throughout the 16th and 17th centuries, England and all of Europe were fraught with religious prejudices. These pitted Protestants against Catholics and let to wars, executions, and torture. England would fight a civil war, in part, over religious . . . — Map (db m138727) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Mary's City — An Innovative Entrepreneur
Near Old State House Road west of Point Lookout Road (Maryland Route 5), on the left when traveling north.
Garrett Van Sweringen was an innovator. He tried new approaches to meet the needs of the small colonial "city" with bravado and skill. Unlike most Marylanders who focused on growing tobacco, Van Sweringen had many economic ventures. His business . . . — Map (db m138901) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Mary's City — An Opportunity Awaits...Settling
Near Hogaboom Lane 0.8 miles west of Rosecroft Road, on the right when traveling west.
In November 1633, two ships called, Ark and Dove set sail from England. After a voyage of four months, they arrived in Maryland. Lord Baltimore, the founder and proprietor of Maryland, was a Catholic who hoped to increase his . . . — Map (db m138822) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Mary's City — Andrew White, Apostle to Maryland
Near Point Lookout Road (Maryland Route 5) 0.4 miles west of Rosecroft Road, on the left when traveling west.
Fathers Andrew White and John Althum, Jesuit priests, arrived in Maryland in 1634 with the first Maryland colonists. A Briefe Relation of the Voyage unto Maryland, authored by Father White, is the earliest account of the founding of the . . . — Map (db m138733) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Mary's City — Brewing and Baking
On Old State House Road 0.4 miles north of Point Lookout Road (Maryland Route 5), on the left when traveling north.
Garrett Van Sweringen constructed this building in the late 1600s for brewing and baking. He hoped to meet a growing demand for these products in the city and from passing ships. His inventory lists two large "coppers" and other . . . — Map (db m138843) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Mary's City — Carpenters' Marks
Near Point Lookout Road (Maryland Route 5) 0.4 miles west of Rosecroft Road, on the left when traveling west.
We do not know the names of the carpenters who built this barn in 1785. Some of them were probably enslaved workers. But evidence surviving on the building tells us they were trained in an ancient craft tradition. Since medieval times and probably . . . — Map (db m138705) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Mary's City — Cellar Archaeology
Near Old State House Road north of Point Lookout Road (Maryland Route 5), on the left when traveling north.
When archaeologists discovered this cellar, it was filled with garbage, oyster shells, and bricks. Excavations revealed walls and a floor made of small imported Dutch bricks. When the building collapsed in the late 1720s, people began using the . . . — Map (db m138858) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Mary's City — Constructed With Colonial Ideas
On Point Lookout Road 0.4 miles west of Rosecroft Road.
Although this barn was built at the end of the American Revolution, carpenters used much older ideas in its construction. Its builders employed a ten-foot interval between structural posts, a measure which became widely used in the 17th-century . . . — Map (db m138703) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Mary's City — Dating Changes in a Building
Near Point Lookout Road (Maryland Route 5) 0.4 miles west of Rosecroft Road, on the left when traveling west.
Old buildings often show many changes but when did these occur? To find out, you need to become a "building detective" searching for subtle clues. This barn had many alterations over its life. Important clues are found in the wood and nails because . . . — Map (db m138717) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Mary's City — Early Signs of Industry
On Middle Street Path just east of Aldermanbury Street Footpath, on the left when traveling east. Reported damaged.
The Mill Dam Road that extended from Leonard Calvert's house in the town center to the mill dam served as a causeway over Mill Creek. From there, the road joined Mattapany Road, which grew from an Indian trail along the Patuxent River. Most overland . . . — Map (db m138671) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Mary's City — Encountering the OtherSettling
Near Hogaboom Lane 0.7 miles west of Rosecroft Road, on the right when traveling west.
American Indians have lived in the Chesapeake Bay area for at least 12,000 years and were the first inhabitants of what is now St. Mary's City. When English colonists arrived in 1634, the local Yaocomaco Indians made an agreement with them. The . . . — Map (db m138766) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Mary's City — Entrance to First State House of Maryland
On Trinity Church Road near Point Lookout Road (Maryland Route 5).
In memory of Nicholas Young of St. Mary’s Co. Maryland, elected to the House of Burgesses Nov 30, 1665. Boxwood dedicated June 13, 1932, and tablet placed through Maj. William Thomas Chapter, D.A.R. by Delia Harris Maddox, Ann Delia Power . . . — Map (db m1006) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Mary's City — Entrance to First State House of Maryland
Near Trinity Church Road.
In Memory of Thomas Harris Who with his Wife, Anne, Settled on Grant called Land of Harris In Charles Co. MD, Aug, 30, 1650 Founder of the Harris Family of Southern Maryland Some of Whom Served the State with Distinction in . . . — Map (db m80353) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Mary's City — Entrance to St. John's Museum
Near Margeret Brent Way 0.1 miles west of Mathias De Sousa Drive, on the left when traveling west.
In the late 1650s, Simon Overzee built an unheated storage building in this location. Charles Calvert added a wattle and daub chimney around 1662, and housed or "quartered" guests and servants here. The quarter stood for another 30 years. This . . . — Map (db m140613) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Mary's City — Exploring St. John'sStories Written in the Soil
Near Margeret Brent Way 0.1 miles west of Mathias De Sousa Drive, on the left when traveling west.
The story of St. John's and its residents is only dimly reflected in the historical records. Archaeology was essential to understand this site, its buildings, and the lives of its people. Excavations began here in 1972 and continued for five years . . . — Map (db m140617) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Mary's City — Fear of War, People of Peace
Near Point Lookout Road.
When Maryland's first Settlers arrived in 1634 they expected to encounter trouble, both from local American Indians and from rival English Colonists across the Potomac River in Virginia. To assure a place of safety they built a fort at St. Mary's . . . — Map (db m94429) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Mary's City — Finishing the Walls
Near Point Lookout Road (Maryland Route 5) 0.4 miles west of Rosecroft Road, on the left when traveling west. Reported unreadable.
Over the several years it took to construct a brick building like the chapel, mortar spills left many unsightly white streaks on the brick walls. Modern builders use acid and a power washer to remove these, but what did a 17th-century mason do. . . . — Map (db m138760) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Mary's City — Framing the PastDiscovering
Near Middle Street Path east of Aldermanbury Street Footpath, on the left when traveling south.
As a colonial capital, St. Mary's City once boasted several hundred structures. It welcomed trading visiting traders, trappers, planters, and lawmakers who did business with the city's innkeepers, lawyers, merchants, and printer. Here you can . . . — Map (db m138690) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Mary's City — From Many Lands
Near Old State House Road west of Point Lookout Road (Maryland Route 5), on the left when traveling north.
Maryland was an English colony but people from many different places settled here. While the majority came from England, others were from various parts of Europe and some came from Africa. Eventually, many more were brought from Africa. All those . . . — Map (db m138906) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Mary's City — From Slavery to FreedomSurviving
Near Aldermanbury Street Footpath at Middle Street Path, on the right when traveling east.
From 1840 to 1864, more than 50 enslaved African American men, women, and children raised tobacco and wheat for Dr. John Mackall Brome an his 1,800 acre plantation. You are standing where these people lived. Life without freedom was difficult. . . . — Map (db m138836) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Mary's City — Here Lyeth The Body
Near Trinity Church Road near Point Lookout Road (Maryland Route 5).
Here lyeth the body of Lionel Copley of Wadworth, County York, England, born 1648, died Sept. 27, 1693. And of Anne Boteler, his wife, of Watton, Woodhull, County Herts, England, died March 5, 1692. He was sometime Lieutenant Governour of . . . — Map (db m1005) HM

268 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 68
Paid Advertisement