On State Road 442 just east of State Road 518, on the right when traveling east.
This mill was built in the 1870s by Vicente Romero. In 1851 he established the La Cueva Ranch by purchasing land from several grantees of the Mora Land Grant which had been conceded by Governor Albino Pérez in 1835. According to legend Vicente . . . — — Map (db m73281) HM
On State Road 518 at State Road 442 on State Road 518.
This ranching community was established by Vicente Romero in the early 1850s. The grist mill was built in the 1870s. Its proximity to Fort Union and the Santa Fe Trail helped the ranch develop into one of the region’s most important commercial . . . — — Map (db m73280) HM
On State Road 518 just north of State Road 434, on the right when traveling north.
In New Mexico, women blessed with special knowledge of herbs, household remedies, human health and strong faith are trusted to cure real or imaged maladies. Known as Curanderas, these women have been an integral part of the Hispanic fabric in . . . — — Map (db m73273) HM
On State Road 120 at Interstate 25, on the right when traveling east on State Road 120.
This last great landmark on the Santa Fe Trail was named for its resemblance to the top of a covered wagon. At Wagon Mound, travelers could cross from the Cimarron Cutoff to Fort Union, which is located on the Mountain Branch of the Trail. The two . . . — — Map (db m45824) HM
Near Interstate 25 at milepost 375.5, 8.6 miles north of State Road 161.
Fort Union National Monument 1851-1891
Once the largest post in the Southwest, Fort Union was established to control the Jicarilla Apaches and Utes, to protect the Santa Fe Trail, and to serve as a supply depot for . . . — — Map (db m45829) HM
On Interstate 25 at milepost 374, on the right when traveling north.
Opened by William Becknell in 1821, the Santa Fe Trail became the major trade route to Santa Fe from Missouri River towns. The two main branches, the Cimarron Cutoff and the Mountain Branch, joined at Watrous. Travel over the Trail ceased with the . . . — — Map (db m55199) HM
On State Road 161 at Interstate 25, on the left when traveling east on State Road 161.
The Mountain Branch and the Cimarron Cutoff of the Santa Fe Trail meet at Watrous. This important spot on the Trail was first known at La Junta, "junction" in Spanish. In 1879, with the coming of the railroad, it was named for Samuel B. Watrous, a . . . — — Map (db m55198) HM