Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Montgomery County Virginia Historical Markers

 
April 16th Memorial and Marker image, Touch for more information
By Kevin W., April 5, 2013
April 16th Memorial and Marker
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — April 16th MemorialWe Remember
Near Drillfield Drive 0.1 miles west of Stanger Street.
April 16th, 2007 On April 16th, 2007, 32 innocent lives were lost in a senseless act of campus violence. Twenty-seven young, gifted graduate and undergraduate students died that day, two in Ambler Johnston Residence Hall, toward the south . . . — Map (db m43722) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — Blacksburg Motor Company Building 1924
On South Main Street (Business U.S. 460) at Clay Street SW, on the left when traveling west on South Main Street.
The Blacksburg Motor Company building was built by Robert and Mason Heavener, two well-respected Blacksburg businessmen. Robert Heavener was a prominent citizen serving on Town Council and the National Bank of Blacksburg Board of Directors. The . . . — Map (db m84769) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — Carol Montgomery Newman(1879-1941)
On Kent Street at College Avenue, on the right when traveling north on Kent Street.
Professor 1903-1941 Dean, Academic Department 1915-1920 Chairman, English Department 1916-1941 Known as VPI’s godfather of extracurricular activities, Carol Montgomery Newman headed the English and Language Departments, taught English . . . — Map (db m41460) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — Charles Henry Burchard(1915-1990)
Near West Turner Street west of Stanger Street.
Dean, Architecture and Urban Studies 1965-1979 University Distinguished Professor 1966-1979 Dean Emeritus 1979-1990 An innovative thinker, Charles H. Burchard organized Virginia Tech's College of Architecture and Urban Studies, creating a . . . — Map (db m43015) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — Clinton Harriman Cowgill(1897-1975)
Near West Turner Street west of Stanger Street.
Department Head, Architectural Engineering 1928-1956 The founder of VPI's Department of Architectural Engineering, forerunner of today's Architecture program, Clinton H. Gowgill guided the department's growth from 34 students and two . . . — Map (db m43019) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — Coal Car
Near Merrimac Road at Virginia Route 701, on the left when traveling north.
This coal car was one of many that were hoisted in and out of the mine. These cars were pulled by a hoist system. The cars were built with a low profile so that they could fit deep in the mine to be loaded without having to move the coal to the car . . . — Map (db m95441) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — Coal Car Hoist
Near Merrimac Road at County Route 701, on the left when traveling north.
The coal car hoist was the force that pulled the cars out of the mine. Each hoist used a large winch-like structure that was originally powered by steam. The picture you see below is of two miners being pulled out of the mine by the hoist system. — Map (db m95445) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — Earl Bertram Norris(1882-1966)
Near Drillfield Drive west of Stanger Street.
Dean, School of Engineering 1928-1952 Director, Engineering Experiment Station 1932-1952 An engineer, educator, administrator, and author, Earl Bertram Norris worked professionally in the industrial field, taught mechanical engineering, and . . . — Map (db m43038) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — Eastern Continental Divide & 1763 Proclamation Line
On South Main Street (Business U.S. 460) at Graves Avenue, on the right when traveling west on South Main Street.
Main Street, near here, crosses a barely perceptible ridge line. This line divides water flowing east to the Atlantic Ocean, via the Roanoke River basin, from water flowing west to the Gulf of Mexico, via the New, Ohio, and Mississippi . . . — Map (db m84779) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — K-64 — Founding of the Future Farmers of Virginia
On Southgate Drive 0.3 miles east of Bypass Route 460, on the right when traveling east.
The Future Farmers of Virginia (FFV) was founded on the campus of Virginia Polytechnic Institute by four members of the Agricultural Education Department in September, 1925. Developed as a statewide organization for boys enrolled in high school . . . — Map (db m16235) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — Frank Leigh Robeson(1884-1974)
Near West Campus Drive north of Drillfield Drive.
Student 1901-1904 Faculty Member 1904-1954 Head, Department of Physics 1923-1954 As a student at Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College and Polytechnic Institute (now Virgnia Tech), Frank Leigh Robeson helped draw plans for many campus . . . — Map (db m43040) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — Frederick Dewey Durham(1899-1998)
On Barger Street west of Stanger Street, on the right when traveling west.
Student, 1917-1920, 1921-1922 Six years after graduating from VPI, Fred Durham bought the C. Lee Cook Company, which merged with three other companies in 1955 to form Dover Corp., today a Fortune 500 manufacturing company. As president and . . . — Map (db m43021) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — George Burke Johnston(1907 - 1995)
Near Perry Street.
Member, English Faculty 1930 - 1933 Dean, School of Applied Science and Business Administration 1950 - 1961 Dean, School of Science and General Studies 1961 - 1963 Dean, College of Arts and Sciences 1963 - 1965 C. P. Miles Professor of . . . — Map (db m64211) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — Harvey Lee Price(1874-1951)
On Drillfield Drive 0.1 miles east of West Campus Drive, on the right when traveling east.
Faculty member 1900-1945 Head, Horticulture Department 1902-1908 Dean, School of Agriculture 1908-1945 An easy-going, amiable man, Harvey Lee Price served VPI for more than four decades after earning two degrees here. He moved quickly . . . — Map (db m41464) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — Hoist Foundation
Near Merrimac Road at Virginia Route 701, on the left when traveling north.
Here was the first foundation that pulled the coal cars from the mine. This foundation held the hoist that worked in sequence with a series of hoists to move the coal. The foundations are still here to this day because of the force that was put on . . . — Map (db m95440) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — John Edward Williams(1867-1943)
On Drillfield Drive 0.2 miles east of Greenhouse Road, on the right when traveling west.
Professor 1903-1943 Dean of the College 1924-1943 Known for wise counsel and leadership, John Edward Williams earned wide respect during 40 years at VPI as a Mathematics professor and Dean of the College. An American Association for the . . . — Map (db m16238) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — John Houston Squires(1882-1934)
On Alumni Mall (Virginia Route 314) west of North Main Street (Business U.S. 460), on the right when traveling east.
Class of 1905 Master of Science 1906 A distinguished scientist, John H. Squires had a brilliant career as a chemist with E.I. DuPont de Nemours, GM Corporation, and American Cyanamid. He also taught at a college and was instrumental in . . . — Map (db m43041) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — John McLaren McBryde(1841-1923)
On Stanger Street north of Drillfield Drive, on the left when traveling north.
President 1891-1907 Known as the “Father of VPI,” John McLaren McBryde laid the foundation for modern Virginia Tech. He increased bachelor's degree offerings, added graduate programs, created an infirmary, and christened the motto Ut . . . — Map (db m43037) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — John Redd Hutcheson(1886-1962)
On Drillfield Drive 0.1 miles east of West Campus Drive, on the right when traveling east.
Director, Agricultural Extension Services 1919-1945 President 1945-1947 Chancellor 1947-1956 President, VPI Foundation 1948-1962 Alumnus president John Redd Hutcheson worked tirelessly to prepare VPI for the flood of returning World . . . — Map (db m41461) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — John William Hancock Jr.(1904-1994)
Near West Turner Street west of Stanger Street.
Class of 1925 Member, Board of Visitors 1963-1971 Board Chairman, Virginia Tech Foundation 1969-1973, 1986-1991 A generous benefactor of his Alma mater, John W. Hancock Jr. was an astute businessman who founded Roanoke Electric Steel . . . — Map (db m43023) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — Julian Ashby Burruss(1876-1947) — President 1919-1945 —
On Drillfield Drive 0.4 miles east of Greenhouse Road, on the right when traveling west.
The first alumnus president, Julian Ashby Burruss guided VPI through tremendous increases in faculty, student body, and degree offerings; vast growth in the physical plant; and efficient changes in administrative structure. He successfully pushed to . . . — Map (db m16239) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — Lingan Strother Randolph(1868-1922)
Near West Turner Street west of Stanger Street.
Professor, Mechanical Engineering 1893-1918 Department Head, Mechanical Engineering 1902-1913 Dean of Engineering 1913-1918 An entertaining speaker and inspirational professor, Professor, Lingan Strother Randolph helped design and . . . — Map (db m43039) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — KG-10 — Mary Draper Ingels
On Duckpond Drive near W Campus Drive, on the right when traveling south.
On 30 July 1755, during the French and Indian War, Shawnee Indians attacked the Draper's Meadow settlement nearby. They killed Col. James Patton, Casper Berger, Mrs. George Draper, and a Draper child, wounded James Cull, and captured Mary Draper . . . — Map (db m16205) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — Paul Ernest Torgersen(1931- )
On Stanger Street at VPI Mall, on the right when traveling north on Stanger Street.
Department Head, Industrial Engineering 1967-1970 Dean, College of Engineering 1970-1990 President, Corporate Research Center 1990-1994 President 1994-2000 A professor who became president, Paul Ernest Torgerson taught every semester during . . . — Map (db m16240) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — Paul Neyron Derring(1894-1973)
Near Perry Street east of West Campus Drive.
Secretary, YMCA 1918-1964 Director of Religious Affairs 1957-1964 A Phi Beta Kappa graduate, Paul Neyron Derring was the first blind man to complete college in Virginia. While heading the YMCA at VPI, he became a father figure to countless . . . — Map (db m43020) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — KG-25 — Price's Fork
On Prices Fork Road (Virginia Route 685) east of Thomas Lane (Virginia Route 737), on the right when traveling west.
Price's Fork is within the area often referred to as the German New River Settlement. Before 1745, German immigrants moved from Pennsylvania and began settling in this region within the Price's Fork-Tom's Creek area near and along the horseshoe . . . — Map (db m42850) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — Restoring Stroubles Creek
Near Stroubles Creek Road south of Foxridge Lane.
What is wrong with Stroubles Creek? Stroubles Creek is considered “impaired” by the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality because it does not support a diverse community of aquatic insects and fish. The main pollutants . . . — Map (db m41473) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — Robert James Davidson(1862-1915) Professor 1891-1915 — Dean, Scientific Department 1903-1913 Dean, Department of Applied Science 1913-1915 —
On Drillfield Drive 0.1 miles east of Greenhouse Road, on the right when traveling west.
An American Association for the Advancement of Science Fellow, Robert James Davidson worked at VPI as a chemist for the experiment station as a chemistry professor before becoming the first dean of the Scientific Department and the Department of . . . — Map (db m16215) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — Roy Jay Holden(1870-1945)
Near Stanger Street north of Drillfield Drive.
Professor 1905-1945 Head, Department of Geology 1907-1945 The head of VPI's Geology Department for 38 years, noted geologist Roy Jay Holden sited Virginia's first gas well, located water wells when a shortage threatened VPI, and assessed the . . . — Map (db m43026) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — KG-9 — Smithfield
On Southgate Drive 0.2 miles east of Bypass Route 460, on the right when traveling east.
Smithfield, visible to the northeast, was the last home of Col. William Preston, a noted surveyor who fostered the settlement of western lands. Preston was also a Revolutionary officer, Indian fighter, and a member of the House of Burgesses. Built . . . — Map (db m86233) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — I-20 — Solitude
On Greenhouse Drive at Drillfield Drive, on the right when traveling south on Greenhouse Drive.
The earliest portion of Solitude was constructed about 1801 on land owned by Philip Barger, who sold the property in 1803 to James Patton Preston, governor of Virginia (1816-1819). Governor John Floyd (1830-1834), Preston's brother-in-law, lived at . . . — Map (db m16213) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — The Alwood OakDedicated October 14, 2011 in tribute to William Bradford Alwood
On Drillfield Drive, on the left when traveling west.
This bur oak (Quercus macrocarpa) was planted around 1895 by Professor Alwood at the site of the Virginia Agricultural Experiment Station. One of many trees planted by Alwood, it is the only living member of a collection he documented to . . . — Map (db m64221) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — The Armory1936
On Draper Road NW at Jackson Street NW, on the right when traveling south on Draper Road NW.
Built as a federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) project, the Armory is located on the former Blacksburg Public School Campus, where the local elementary and high schools originally stood. This building served as a National Guard armory and . . . — Map (db m95446) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — The Cellar BuildingCa. 1890
On College Avenue Extension at North Main Street (Business U.S. 460), on the right when traveling west on College Avenue Extension.
Nick Kappas emigrated from Greece in 1913 and located in Roanoke. After the VPI vs. VMI annual football game in Roanoke, VPI cadets who frequented a restaurant where Kappas worked, persuaded him to move to Blacksburg to open his own business. He . . . — Map (db m84778) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — The Commissary
Near Merrimac Road at Virginia Route 701, on the left when traveling north.
The Commissary building was located here and served the community for their groceries as well as everyday household supplies. These concrete piers once supported the loading platform and post office that were in this building. The Commissary was . . . — Map (db m95439) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — The Hotel
Near Merrimac Road at Virginia Route 701, on the left when traveling north.
Here remain just a few bricks and concrete that made the foundations of the hotel. This hotel was a large two-story boardinghouse for unmarried miners, new employees and visitors to the mines. The hotel also featured a single-story porch across the . . . — Map (db m95438) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — The Stroubles Creek Watershed and the Duck Pond
Near Duckpond Drive near Smithfield Road.
Learn about your watershed A watershed or drainage basin, is the area of land where all the water that drains off it runs to a specific point on a watercourse, usually a confluence of stream or river. The Stroubles Creek watershed is . . . — Map (db m41466) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — The Tipple
Near Merrimac Road at Virginia Route 701, on the left when traveling north.
Here was the center of the entire Merrimac community: the Tipple was the largest and most prominent building here. Reaching 100 feet high, the Tipple was the loading station for the train, the Huckleberry. The Huckleberry would run directly through . . . — Map (db m95443) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — Thomas Barksdale Hutcheson(1882-1950)
On Drillfield Drive 0.1 miles east of West Campus Drive, on the right when traveling east.
Head, Department of Agronomy 1914-1945 Dean, School of Agriculture 1946-1950 Thomas Barksdale Hutcheson lived in the dairy barn at Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College and Polytechnic Institute (Virginia Tech), working his . . . — Map (db m41462) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — Thomas Marshall Hahn Jr.(1926-   )
Near West Campus Drive east of Duckpond Road.
Head, Department of Physics 1954-1959 President 1962-1974 President Emeritus 1975- One of the university’s greatest presidents, T. Marshall Hahn Jr. engineered Virginia Tech’s evolution from a college to a major research university. The . . . — Map (db m43022) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — Thomas Oldham Sandy(1857-1919)
On Drillfield Drive 0.1 miles east of West Campus Drive, on the right when traveling east.
State Demonstration Agent 1907-1917 Called the father of farm demonstration and extension work in Virginia, Thomas Oldham Sandy was a progressive farmer who promoted improved scientific education in agriculture. He became the Commonwealth’s . . . — Map (db m41463) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — I 2-e — Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
On Southgate Drive 0.2 miles east of Bypass Route 460, on the right when traveling east.
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University was founded in 1872 as a land-grant college specializing in agriculture and mechanics. The land-grant college system marked the beginning of scientific agricultural and industrial instruction in . . . — Map (db m16237) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — I-2-a — Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
On Pandapas Pond Road (U.S. 460) at Forest Service Road (Road P188-2), on the right when traveling east on Pandapas Pond Road.
Five miles south lies the main campus of Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, founded in 1872 as a land-grant college specializing in agriculture and mechanical arts. The land-grant college system initiated scientific agricultural . . . — Map (db m37520) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — I 2d — Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
On Alumni Mall (Virginia Route 314) at North Main Street (Business U.S. 460), on the right when traveling west on Alumni Mall.
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University was founded in 1872 as a land-grant college specializing in agriculture and mechanics. The land-grant college system marked the beginning of scientific agricultural and industrial instruction in . . . — Map (db m42848) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — I-23 — Virginia Tech Airport
On Tech Center Drive 0.1 miles east of Kraft Drive, on the right when traveling west.
The airport was founded in 1931 as a college-owned facility. School funds and a grant from the Works Progress Administration in the early 1940s paid for paving a runway and building a hangar. Two training programs offered here made the airport . . . — Map (db m41425) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — Virginia Tech War Memorial Chapel"That I May Serve"
On Drillfield Drive at Alumni Mall (Virginia Route 314), on the left when traveling north on Drillfield Drive.
(left pylons) Brotherhood Honor Leadership Sacrifice (right pylons) Ut Prosim Duty Loyalty Service 1917 * 1918 H. T. Barger '16 • J. C. Berkeley '12 • R. L. Butler '15 • A. V. Carlson '21 • J. F. . . . — Map (db m43044) WM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — Westview CemeteryConfederate and Union Burial Ground
Near Owens Street at East Roanoke Street, on the right when traveling west.
This cemetery is the final resting place for numerous Civil War veterans. It was originally the burial ground of the Black family, for whom the town is named. The cemetery later grew in size and eventually merged with the African American graveyard . . . — Map (db m84752) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — William Addison Caldwell
Near Stanger Street 0.1 miles north of Drillfield Drive, on the right when traveling north.
Craig County farm boy Add Caldwell walked 26 miles to enroll here in 1872 as the first student. The popular cadet majored in agriculture and worked as a teacher, clerk, and salesman before his death in 1910. Donated by the Class of . . . — Map (db m42925) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — William Ballard PrestonThe Preston Resolution
Near Smithfield Plantation Road 0.1 miles south of Smithfield Road.
This is Smithfield, the birthplace of William Ballard Preston (1805-1862). On April 16, 1861, in the Virginia Convention, he reluctantly introduced the formal resolution to secede from the Union. Preston served in the Virginia House of . . . — Map (db m84776) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — KG-24 — William Black
On North Main Street (Business U.S. 460) at Jackson Street NE (Virginia Route 785), on the right when traveling north on North Main Street.
Just northeast stood the home of William Black, the founder of Blacksburg. In 1797, he laid out a 16-block grid and petitioned the Virginia General Assembly to incorporate a town here; the legislature approved his petition on 13 January 1798. On 4 . . . — Map (db m41436) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — William Bradford Alwood(1845 - 1946)
On Drillfield Drive, on the right when traveling west.
Professor / Department Head, Horticulture, Mycology, & Entomology Vice Director, Virginia Agricultural Experiment Station (1888 - 1904) "The splendid service which you rendered this institution will ever be remembered, and it is my hope . . . — Map (db m64217) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — William Frank Henderson(1853-1935)
Near Alumni Mall (Virginia Route 314) west of North Main Street (Business U.S. 460).
Student 1872-1873 College Physician 1891-1920 Consulting Physician 1920-1935 During more than half of his life, Dr. William F. Henderson treated thousands of cadets at Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College and Polytechnic Institute . . . — Map (db m43024) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — William MacFarland Patton(1845-1905)
On Drillfield Drive, on the right when traveling west.
Chair, Civil Engineering 1896-1905 Dean, Department of Engineering 1904-1905 A distinguished engineer, educator, and author, William MacFarland Patton chaired Civil Engineering at VPI and became the first dean of the Department of Engineering. . . . — Map (db m16264) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Christiansburg — K-72 — Christiansburg
On Roanoke Street (U.S. 11) 0.1 miles east of Depot Street (Virginia Route 111), on the right when traveling south.
Christiansburg, originally known as "Hans Meadows," was established in 1792 and named for Colonel William Christian noted Colonial and Revolutionary Indian fighter. It became an important place on the route to the West. On May 10, 1864, Averell . . . — Map (db m23905) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Christiansburg — K-68 — Christiansburg Industrial Institute
On North Franklin Street (Business U.S. 460) at Scattergood Drive NE, on the right when traveling north on North Franklin Street.
In 1866, Captain Charles S. Schaeffer, a Freedmen's Bureau agent, organized a school for blacks on the hill just to the southeast. Charles L. Marshall of Tuskeegee Institute became principal of the school in 1896. Under his guidance and with support . . . — Map (db m41424) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Christiansburg — K-71 — Lewis-McHenry Duel
On West Main Street (U.S. 11) at South Franklin Street, on the right when traveling north on West Main Street.
In this town occurred the duel between Thomas Lewis and John McHenry in May, 1808. This was the first duel with rifles known to have taken place in Virginia. It resulted in the death of both men. Dr. John Floyd, later Governor of Virginia and member . . . — Map (db m41422) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Christiansburg — Montgomery County Confederate Monument
On North Franklin Street (Business U.S. 460) at East Main Street (U.S. 11), on the left when traveling south on North Franklin Street.
To the memory of Montgomery’s sons who fell in the Lost Cause and to all the Confederate dead who lie beneath her soil. This monument is erected by her daughters 1861-1865 In this county lie the remains of 300 . . . — Map (db m41453) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Christiansburg — Montgomery County War Memorial
On West Main Street (U.S. 11) at South Franklin Street, on the right when traveling north on West Main Street.
Dedicated to the memory of these citizens of Mont- gomery County, Virginia, who made the supreme sacrifice in the service of our country in the world conflicts Sponsored and erected by the Montgomery County American . . . — Map (db m41445) WM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Elliston — K-67 — Fotheringay
On Roanoke Road (U.S. 11) at Graham Street, in the median on Roanoke Road. Reported missing.
Fotheringay was the home of George Hancock (1754-1820), a colonel in the Virginia Line during the Revolutionary War and aide-de-camp to Count Casimir Pulaski. He later served in both the Virginia House of Delegates and in the U.S. Congress, and was . . . — Map (db m23904) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Elliston-Lafayette — Z-105 — Montgomery County / Roanoke County
On Roanoke Road (U.S. 11), on the right when traveling south.
Montgomery County Area 401 Square Miles Formed in 1776 from Fincastle, and named for General Richard Montgomery, killed at Quebec, 1775. The Virginia Polytechnic Institute is here. Roanoke County Area 305 Square Miles Formed in . . . — Map (db m23827) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Lafayette — Bow String Arch TrussOldest metal bridge in Virginia
On Northbound Rest Area (U.S. 81 at milepost 129).
This structure was built in 1878 by King Iron and Bridge Co. in Bedford County. It remained in use until 1971. It is the oldest metal bridge in Virginia. — Map (db m3853) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Lafayette — KG-12 — Montgomery White Sulphur Springs
On Northbound Rest Area (U.S. 81 at milepost 129), on the right when traveling north.
Near here stood Montgomery White Sulphur Springs, popular resort area of 19th century America. During the Civil War the resort was converted into a military hospital staffed by Catholic nuns. Several hundred victims of smallpox including nurses and . . . — Map (db m3851) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Shawsville — K-73 — Fort Vause
On Oldtown Road (Virginia Route 753) east of Basham Hollow Road, on the right when traveling west.
Ephraim Vause was appointed Captain of Horse in 1753 and was considered a man of considerable influence. For the protection of his family and his neighbors he built a simple palisaded fort nearby on his farm. In June 1756, during the French and . . . — Map (db m42849) HM

63 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement