Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
1872 entries match your criteria. The first 100 are listed. Next 100 ⊳
 
 

Historical Markers and War Memorials in Indiana

 
Adams County Veterans Memorial WWI Panel image, Touch for more information
By William Fischer, Jr., December 30, 2008
Adams County Veterans Memorial WWI Panel
GEOGRAPHIC SORT
1Indiana (Adams County), Berne — Adams County Veterans Memorial
In loving memory and appreciation for the men and women of Adams County who served our nation. This monument is dedicated to those veterans who made the supreme sacrifice and gave their todays for our tomorrows World War I Apr. 6, 1917 - . . . — Map (db m37026) HM
2Indiana (Adams County), Decatur — Adams County Peace Monument - Honor Rolls
Left Side Left - Small Plaque Thomas Archibold Pennsylvania Pvt - Capt Bell’s Co Revolutionary War 1755 - ✝ - 1837 Small Plaque James Ball Sgt - Col Bakers MD Regt Revolutionary War 1751 - . . . — Map (db m54763) WM
3Indiana (Adams County), Decatur — Adams County Veterans Memorial
Honoring the men and women of Adams County who served in the Armed Forces of The United States World War I ——— World War II Korean ————— Vietnam and all other . . . — Map (db m54629) WM
4Indiana (Adams County), Decatur — Gene Stratton-Porter
In Memory of Gene Stratton - Porter Author of The Girl of The Limberlost, The Song of the Cardinal, Freckles and other nature stories. Who came to Decatur as a bride and in this County, at Geneva, on the banks of the . . . — Map (db m54643) HM
5Indiana (Adams County), Decatur — 01.1977.1 — The Wayne Trace
General Anthony Wayne and the Legion of the United States passed this way on October 30, 1794, in route from Fort Wayne to Fort Greenville, ending the western campaign against the Indian Confederacy. The Legion spent the previous night camped 2.6 . . . — Map (db m29620) HM
6Indiana (Adams County), Geneva — 01.2006.1 — Geneva Downtown Historic District
(Front Side) Adams County formed 1835. Geneva incorporation 1874 included early towns Alexander and Buffalo. During 1890s oil boom, population and businesses grew. Fire destroyed much of town 1895; Geneva Board of Trustees banned wooden . . . — Map (db m63824) HM
7Indiana (Allen County), Churubusco — 02.1966.1 — Site of Hardin’s Defeat
Colonel John Hardin, of the Kentucky Militia, with 180 men and Captain John Armstrong, U.S. Army, with 30 men, were routed here on October 19, 1790, by Indians under Miami Chief Little Turtle during General Harmar's Campaign. — Map (db m47459) HM
8Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — "Johnny Appleseed"[ John Chapman ]
Born in Massachusetts, 1776 Died near Fort Wayne, 1843. Buried in the David Archer Cemetery Pioneer apple grower of Indiana and Ohio. The Indiana Horticultural Society and all those who are endeavoring to carry on the work he nobly commenced . . . — Map (db m59649) HM
9Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — Allen County and Fort Wayne W.W. I Memorial — Spirit of the American Doughboy -and- Spirit of American Navy —
( Front ) Argonne —— ∮—— Cantigny Allen County and Fort Wayne their Tribute to the Glory of their Sons Loyalty — Courage Sacrifice — Victory 1917 —— 1918 . . . — Map (db m54627) HM
10Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — Allen County Revolutionary War Memorial
Dedicated to the Memory Of the Following Revolutionary Soldiers Buried in Allen County Michael Cronts James Ball Charles Weeks, Sr. William Berry Samuel Bird, Sgt. James Saunders Gurdin Burnham, Sgt. David Blair . . . — Map (db m73263) WM
11Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — 02.1963.1 — Camp Allen 1861-64Civil War Mustering-In Camp
Colonel Hugh B. Reed served as first Commandant. Here the 30th, 44th, 74th, 88th, and 100th Indiana Regiments and the 11th Indiana Battery were organized. — Map (db m65185) HM
12Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — Carole Lombard
In this house on October 6, 1908, was born Jane Alice Peters. Daughter of Frederick C. and Elizabeth Knight Peters, she took the professional name of Carole Lombard and became one of the most important figures in the motion picture industry. . . . — Map (db m109155) HM
13Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — Cathedral of Immaculate Conception
Oldest church structure in continuous use in Fort Wayne area and seat of Catholicism in Northern Indiana. Christianity carried to this part of the New World in 1600's by Catholic missionaries. Land formerly part of burial ground for Miami . . . — Map (db m45024) HM
14Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — Cemetery of St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran ChurchFort Wayne, Indiana — Founded in 1844 —
The Rural Branch School of the Church was located adjacent to the cemetery. School was conducted from 1844 to 1920. The building and grounds were sold to the State for the interchange of Highways I 69 and U.S. 27. — Map (db m76433) HM
15Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — Chief Little Turtle1752 - 1812
ME-SHE-KIN-QUAH, Chief of the Miami Indians Teacher of his people Friend of the United States His endeavors toward peace should serve as an inspiration for future generations This plot of ground, the last resting place of Chief . . . — Map (db m21066) HM
16Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — Duck Creek: Early Industry and Business Development
Fort Wayne business had a start on Duck Street, named for the 19th century Duck Creek that drained the area from the higher ground near Superior Street into the St. Mary’s River. Along Duck Creek in the 1840s and 50s stood the City Mills, one of the . . . — Map (db m16997) HM
17Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — Earliest Railroad
The Wabash & Erie Canal was instrumental in the construction of the first railways in Fort Wayne, which quickly became a railroading center in the Midwest. In 1852, along the canal at the present-day railroad elevation that borders the south edge of . . . — Map (db m16996) HM
18Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — Early Effort To Build A Park
Around the turn of the century, the nationwide “City Beautiful” movement found local expression through the efforts of Charles Mulford Robinson and nationally known landscape architect George Kessler. Seeking to reclaim the natural . . . — Map (db m17034) HM
19Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — Emerine Jane Holman Hamilton1810 - 1889 — Pioneer in Religion, Education, Philanthropy, Reform —
She encouraged local efforts to form First Presbyterian Church, establish a public library, support the national Women's Suffrage Movement, and donated land for Fort Wayne's first African-American church. The Hamilton Estate on Clinton Street . . . — Map (db m16967) HM
20Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — First Americans
The confluence area of the Three Rivers was known to the native people since as early as the end of the last Ice Age, more than 10,000 years ago. As the glaciers melted and receded, they paused here creating a high point in the topography of the . . . — Map (db m17064) HM
21Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — Flood Retention Walls
The concrete retention walls at the north end of the plaza will help downtown Fort Wayne withstand future flooding when the rivers rise. They were constructed where sandbaggers and volunteers worked during the flood of 1982 to build a dike to . . . — Map (db m17061) HM
22Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — 02.2000.1 — Fort Miamis
[Marker Front]: French built a palisaded fort on this strategic site in 1722; named Fort Saint Philippe des Miamis. One of three French forts built in what is now Indiana to protect French fur trade from encroaching English. First of five . . . — Map (db m21029) HM
23Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — Fort Wayne ~ Fort Dearborn Trail
An ancient Indian trail, through Pottawattomie country, variably called the Dragoon, White Pigeon, Great Northwestern and Fort Dearborn Road. After 1795 used for mail delivery between Fort Wayne and Fort Dearborn. Captain Wells, Wayne spy, was slain . . . — Map (db m20782) HM
24Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — Forty et Eight
Veterans Honor Degree of the American Legion
  • "BLACKJACK II" Locomotive / BOXCAR represents the Heritage of 40 ET8.
  • Origin is from WWI - France.
  • Organized in 1920 by Legionaires as the Fun-Honor . . . — Map (db m116314) WM
25Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — Headwaters Park
Architect Eric R. Kuhne was commissioned to design a flood control plan that would provide for a park and premier festival center. It could also serve as a model for flood control in other sections of the country. The Headwaters Park Commission was . . . — Map (db m17037) HM
26Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — 02.1992.1 — Home of Philo T. Farnsworth
Home 1948-1967 of Farnsworth, inventor of television. Farnsworth (1906-1971) was instrumental in perfecting the image formation mechanism which enabled the first effective image transmission in 1927. Farnsworth Radio and Television Corporation in . . . — Map (db m65186) HM
27Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — Jail Flats
Because of the often soggy conditions that discouraged use as either residential or commercial property, the area of Headwaters Park became known as the Jail Flats. The first jail in Allen County was a two-story hewn-log structure that was enclosed . . . — Map (db m16998) HM
28Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — John B. Franke1866 – 1927
“Well done, good and faithful servant.” (Ft. Wayne Chamber of Commerce – Jan. 7, 2927) J.B. Franke dedicated his lift to service of others. He donated 80 acres to the City of Fort Wayne, which is now known as Franke park. Mr. . . . — Map (db m119974) HM
29Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — Johnny Appleseed1774-1845
Johnny Appleseed legendary planter of orchards across Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois, was a real person named John Chapman. He was a friend to all God's creatures and a missionary for the Swedenborgian religion, a Christian denomination. He was . . . — Map (db m21560) HM
30Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — Journal Gazette Building
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m54648) HM
31Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — Kekionga
This area of the Three Rivers was a site of settlement of Native Americans for as much as 10,000 years. The collection of villages known as Kekionga, located in the present-day Lakeside neighborhood, was a center of the Miami nation in historic . . . — Map (db m21501) HM
32Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — League Park
The first professional organized league baseball game was played here on May 4, 1871 ending in a victory for the Fort Wayne Kekiongas over the Cleveland Forest Citys by a score of 2-0. A wooden structure was built in 1883 and rebuilt numerous times . . . — Map (db m59686) HM
33Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — Lindenwood Cemetery
Founded 1859 - Dedicated May 30, 1860, was enrolled on the National Register of Historic Places February 17, 1978 by the U.S. Department of Interior. Here in Lindenwood thousands of memorials relate to local, state and national history. — Map (db m44598) HM
34Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — Little Turtle
Miami Chief Mishikinakwa or Me-she-kin-no-quah, known to the Euro-Americans as Little Turtle, born circa 1747, played a significant role in the settlement of the area surrounding the confluence of the Three Rivers. He was the most successful Native . . . — Map (db m16976) HM
35Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — Major General Anthony Wayne
In the early 1790s, the United States Army suffered two serious defeats at the hands of Indians under the leadership of Little Turtle, war chief of the Miami nation. In response, President George Washington sent Revolutionary War hero Gen. . . . — Map (db m119973) HM
36Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — Maumee - Wabash Portage"Glorious Gate"
Only land barrier on shortest trade route between Quebec and New Orleans. Eastern landing of eight- mile carry from St. Mary's to Little River. Used by Indians, French, British and American traders. — Map (db m21061) HM
37Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — Meshekinnoquah(Chief Little Turtle)
Chief Little Turtle was one of the most feared and respected leaders during the frontier wars of the 1780s and 1790s when Fort Wayne was born. Known to his people as Meshekinnoquah, Little Turtle is thought to have been born in 1752 in a village . . . — Map (db m21503) HM
38Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — Miami Legend of the Sandhill Crane
Long before settlers appeared on the scene, the American Indian people here used the sandhill crane as a symbol for their tribe. Early British and American officials referred to the people we know as Miami as “Twightwees” in various . . . — Map (db m17068) HM
39Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — Mother GeorgeCivil War Nurse — 1808-1865 —
The first Fort Wayne home of Mrs. Eliza E. George was near this spot. At the age of 54 she helped make Civil War nursing history. Mother George, as she was known to thousands of Union soldiers, served with front line troops in Mississippi, . . . — Map (db m44085) HM
40Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — Old Aqueduct Club Memorial
The Aqueduct Carrying the Wabash and Erie Canal across the St. Marys River was located just north of the bridge about where the Nickle Plate Railroad crosses the river and was the playground and swimminghole for the West End Boys. Completed . . . — Map (db m99093) HM
41Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — Old Fort Wayne Well
The "Old Well," an important factor in the existence of the fort and its people, saved the fort from Indian fire brands in 1812. Fort Wayne was first built, near by, in 1794. It was rebuilt, on this site, in 1804, and 1815. Research by . . . — Map (db m21210) HM
42Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — Pirogue Landing
Terminal point where French-Canadian boats, hollowed from 30-60 foot poplar logs, brought families and cargo up the Maumee River from Toledo and Detroit, and returned furs to Lake Erie in exchange for traders' supplies, from the late 1700's until . . . — Map (db m16957) HM
43Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — Purple Heart Tribute Memorial
This Purple Heart tribute is provided in remembrance of all combat wounded veterans who have made the supreme sacrifice for their country. May their noble virtues live forever in our memory. — Map (db m73447) WM
44Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — Richardville1761 - 1841
Richardville 1761 - 1841 Made Chief of the Miamis for his Daring rescue of a White prisoner from Burning at the Stake — Map (db m52919) HM
45Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — Site of Last French Fort
Erected, 1750, by Captain Raimond Surrendered to the British under Lieutenant Butler in 1760. Ensign Richard Holmes and British garrison massacred by Miami Indians in 1763. The most severe engagement of battle between Gen. Josiah . . . — Map (db m21036) HM
46Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — Site of the Fort Wayne CollegeBetter known as the old M.E. College
Established in 1846 as the Fort Wayne Female College on grounds donated by Wm. Rockhill. In 1855 the college consolidated with the Fort Wayne Collegiate Institute for Young Men and it was then call the M.E. College. In 1890 the college grounds . . . — Map (db m100138) HM
47Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — The Battle of Harmar's Ford
To the Memory of Major John Wyllys And His Brave Soldiers Who Were Killed Near this Spot In The Battle of Harmar's Ford Oct. 22, 1790 With the Indians Under Chief Little Turtle — Map (db m21358) HM
48Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — The Battle of Kekionga
The Battle of Kekionga in October 1790 was the first battle fought by the United States Army after the War for Independence. The campaign had been ordered by President Washington against the Miami settlement of Kekionga, the center of Indian . . . — Map (db m21497) HM
49Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — The Canal House
In 1852 John Brown, a stonemason, built this last remaining vestige of the early canal era in FortWayne. A native of Glasgow, Scotland, Brown came by canal boat to Allen County in 1847 with his wife Mary. He and his Scottish business partner, . . . — Map (db m100141) HM
50Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — The First French Fort / The First Playground in Fort Wayne
[Left side of marker]:The First French Fort The French lived among the Miami at the Three Rivers as early as 1697 when Jean Baptiste Bissot, Sieur de Vincennes (d. 1719), and Francois Marie Bissot de Vincennes, the son of Jean Baptiste . . . — Map (db m26867) HM
51Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — The First Police Station
1863 marked the beginning of the first organized Police Force in the city. The council named a captain and three patrolmen to serve from twilight to daybreak. On this site was located the first city Police Station. It contained three iron cages on . . . — Map (db m44086) HM
52Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — The Floods
Most often the rivers here brought prosperity. They are the reason humanbeings settled here; established a land portage to connect with the Wabash River system; and attracted the canal followed by rails, highways, industry, and homes. They brought . . . — Map (db m17030) HM
53Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — The Fur Traders and the Military at Fort Wayne
The French built Fort St. Philippe (Fort Miamis) west of this area by 1722, to command the land portage here between the Maumee and Wabash Rivers. It was important to the French to protect the area in their political competition with the British as . . . — Map (db m17067) HM
54Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — The Last Two American Forts / The Siege of 1812
The Last Two American Forts In 1798, Col. Thomas Hunt began construction on this site of the second American fort at the Three Rivers. this fort, which was completed in 1800, replaced the first, hastily built one erected nearby to the . . . — Map (db m21219) HM
55Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — The Site of General Wayne's Fort
The Site Of General Anthony Wayne's Fort Dedicated October 22nd 1794 It Was The First United States Fort Near "Three Rivers" This Fort Commanded The Shortest Portage Between The St. Lawrence And Mississippi Systems A Portage . . . — Map (db m21020) HM
56Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — The Wabash & Erie Canal
Anchoring the southern edge of the Headwaters Park “Thumb” until circa 1874, the Wabash & Erie Canal’s importance to transportation to the western part of the United States and to the growth of Fort Wayne was substantial. Headwaters Park . . . — Map (db m16985) HM
57Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — These are the Hamilton Women of Fort Wayne
Edith (seated), scholar of Greek and Roman mythology, wrote the classic text, The Greek Way. Alice (standing), Edith's sister, influential industrial physician, advanced the reform of unsafe working conditions in our nation's factories. . . . — Map (db m16956) HM
58Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — 02.1992.2 — Wabash and Erie Canal Groundbreaking
On February 22, 1832, ground was broken two blocks north for the canal, which would link Lake Erie at Toledo with the Ohio River at Evansville. Jordan Vigus, Canal Commissioner, Charles W. Ewing, Samuel Hanna, Elias Murray participated in the . . . — Map (db m21045) HM
59Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — Wayne Trace
Wayne Trace Once the Indian trail to Cincinnati The route Of General Harmer's Army in 1790 Of General Wayne's When leaving the stockade Christened by Major Hamtramck "Fort Wayne" in 1794 Also of General Harrison's Army . . . — Map (db m52749) HM
60Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — William Wells
A tract of 320 acres of land extending west of the St. Joseph River (the modern Bloomingdale and Spy Run neighborhoods) was set aside by an act of Congress in 1808 for the Indian agent William Wells in recognition of his many services to the U.S. . . . — Map (db m26863) HM
61Indiana (Allen County), Huntertown — Huntertown, IndianaPlatted 1869
First called "The Opening", a natural clearing in the forest, settled about 1837. On the old Lima Plank Road connecting Howe (Lima) and Fort Wayne. Home of the Perry Centre Seminary, founded 1856 and closed 1861 when the entire faculty and all adult . . . — Map (db m76402) HM
62Indiana (Allen County), New Haven — 02.2003.1 — Gronauer Lock No. 2
Wabash and Erie Canal lock was discovered here June 1991 during excavation for highway construction. It was built 1838–1840 by Henry Lotz and named for lock keeper Joseph Gronauer. The rare, well-preserved timber-frame design lock measured . . . — Map (db m2498) HM
63Indiana (Bartholomew County), Columbus — 03.2007.2 — Atterbury Army Air Field
(Front Side) Construction begun summer 1942 under Captain Stratton O. Hammon, who used broad authority over laborers, suppliers, and railroad; base in use February 1943. More than 1,000 workers employed during construction. Base was over . . . — Map (db m63819) HM
64Indiana (Bartholomew County), Columbus — 03.2000.1 — Bartholomew County Courthouse
County formed by Indiana General Assembly 1821. Thirty acres of land were purchased, and John Tipton donated thirty acres, for county seat. State commissioners named county seat Tiptona — after Tipton; local elected commissioners renamed it . . . — Map (db m48105) HM
65Indiana (Bartholomew County), Columbus — Bartholomew County Revolutionary War Honor Roll
Revolutionary War Soldiers buried in Bartholomew County 1776 ——— 1976 (Row One) - - William Campbell • John Carney • Joseph Carter • Arthur Chenoweth, Jr. • Thomas Cook • Richard H. Crittenden • Benjamin Ensley • . . . — Map (db m48339) HM
66Indiana (Bartholomew County), Columbus — Bartholomew County Veterans Memorial
(( Walk - Way Stones )) Bartholomew County Veterans Memorial Dedicated May 30, 1997 The Bartholomew County Memorial for Veterans is a tribute to those living and dead who answered the Nations Call in the conflicts of . . . — Map (db m48474) WM
67Indiana (Bartholomew County), Columbus — Bartholomew County Vietnam War Memorial
( Left Side ) - -( Seals )- - Branches of the United States Military ( Right Side ) They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old Age will not worry them nor time condemn But at the going down of the sun . . . — Map (db m48337) WM
68Indiana (Bartholomew County), Columbus — Bartholomew County W.W. I - Veterans Memorial
In Honor of those who served their Country in the World War 1917 — (Seal) — 1918 (American War Mothers) Erected 1929 Bartholomew County War MothersMap (db m48341) HM
69Indiana (Bartholomew County), Columbus — 03.1988.1 — Lowell Mills
From 1830 to 1880 the community of Lowell Mills thrived here along Driftwood River. There were two grist mills, a cooperage, a shoemaker's shop, a distillery, a saw mill, a woolen mill, an inn and general store. When the mills closed, the town was . . . — Map (db m63794) HM
70Indiana (Bartholomew County), Columbus — 03.2007.1 — Orinoco Furniture Company
(Front Side) Incorporated and its factory built here 1890. Reorganized 1891; William H. Lincoln then led the company to great success, stressing quality and artistic merit in fine, high-grade furniture. By 1895, production included . . . — Map (db m63818) HM
71Indiana (Bartholomew County), Columbus — 03.1998.2 — Second Baptist Church
Congregation was formed in 1879; reorganization in 1882 by the Reverend John R. Miller and a core of determined members. The present building, formerly a theater, was acquired in 1913. This African-American church, like many others, has served its . . . — Map (db m63815) HM
72Indiana (Bartholomew County), Columbus — Veterans of All Wars
In Memory of the Veterans of all wars who served in the defense of our Country ———— They gave their Today for our Tomorrow — Map (db m48379) WM
73Indiana (Bartholomew County), Columbus — World War I Honor Roll & Veterans Memorial
((The ‘greatest care’ has been given to get each person’s name correct. If any mistakes are found, please contact me so correction can be made. - - Al Wolf.)) Honor Roll ——— Bartholomew County . . . — Map (db m48551) WM
74Indiana (Bartholomew County), Elizabethtown — 03.1999.1 — Madison and Indianapolis Railroad
Mandated by Indiana's 1836 Internal Improvement Act, construction began in Madison 1836. Completed along this site 1843; Elizabethtown platted 1845 as a result of the railroad. Completed to Indianapolis in 1847. Linked Ohio River and interior of . . . — Map (db m63798) HM
75Indiana (Bartholomew County), Hartsville — 03.1995.1 — Hartsville College
Original site of coeducational United Brethren school founded 1850 as Hartsville Academy by public act of Indiana General Assembly. Campus moved four blocks south, circa 1865; destroyed by fire, January 1898. Many graduates became distinguished . . . — Map (db m63805) HM
76Indiana (Bartholomew County), Hartsville — Hartsville College
Founded 1847 A.D. by Citizens of Hartsville. It was taken over by the Church of the United Brethren in Christ in 1849 - Opened as a college in 1850 - Burned January 30, 1898 - It was one of the first co-educational colleges in America. . . . — Map (db m63807) HM
77Indiana (Bartholomew County), Hartsville — 03.1992.1 — Private Barton W. Mitchell
Mitchell, Co. F, 27th Indiana Volunteers, is buried in Hartsville Baptist Cemetery. He found Confederate General Lee's "Lost" Special Orders No. 191 near Frederick, MD, September 13, 1862. Union General McClellan then engaged Lee at the Battle . . . — Map (db m63806) HM
78Indiana (Benton County), Fowler — 04.1995.1 — Benton County Courthouse
Benton County formed by General Assembly in 1840. Oxford first county seat; Fowler became second, 1874. Designed in Second Empire Style by Gorden P. Randall and built 1874 by Levi L. Leach. Located at geographical center of county on land donated by . . . — Map (db m21487) HM
79Indiana (Benton County), Fowler — Indian Boundary Line1818 to 1832
(Tablet 1) This boulder marks a boundary line between United States territory and Indian lands which existed for fourteen years. At St. Mary's Ohio on October 2, 1818, a treaty was made and concluded between Jonathan Jennings, Lewis . . . — Map (db m71919) HM
80Indiana (Benton County), Fowler — 04.1966.1 — New Purchase Boundary(Treaty of St. Mary's)
In October 1818, Purchasing Commissioners Lewis Cass, Benjamin Parke and Governor Jonathan Jennings acquired Indian claims on the land shown on this marker. About one-third of modern Indiana, was involved in this transaction. — Map (db m21517) HM
81Indiana (Benton County), Oxford — 04.1999.1 — Dan Patch
Side One Standard-bred colt (sire Joe Patchen, dam Zelica) foaled 1896 Oxford, Benton County; raised by Daniel A. Messner, Jr. on this farm. A natural pacer, trained for harness racing, a very popular sport in late 1800's and early 1900's. . . . — Map (db m8546) HM
82Indiana (Benton County), Oxford — Lest We Not Forget
Those who paid the Supreme Sacrifice Given in their memory by Town of Oxford — Map (db m8558) WM
83Indiana (Blackford County), Hartford City — Blackford County Civil War Honor Roll
(( Front (“A - C”) - - Side )) In Honor of All Civil War Veterans of Blackford County ( Row One ) Henry B. Adams • Watson Adams • William W. Adams • David V. Addison • Philip H. Albright • Elijah H. Alexander • . . . — Map (db m54347) WM
84Indiana (Blackford County), Hartford City — 05.1994.1 — Blackford County Courthouse
Blackford County's second courthouse, featuring a 165 foot high clock tower, was built on foundation stones from nearby Montpelier quarries. At a cost of $129,337.83, this Richardsonian Romanesque structure was constructed 1893-1895. Listed in . . . — Map (db m41465) HM
85Indiana (Blackford County), Hartford City — Blackford County Korea & Vietnam Honor Rolls
(( Front Center Panel )) To honor the men and the women of Blackford County who fought in Korea and Vietnam and to the heroes who gave their lives on land, on the sea, and in the sky that mankind might live in freedom we . . . — Map (db m54423) WM
86Indiana (Blackford County), Hartford City — Blackford County Revolutionary War Heroes
In Memory of the Revolutionary Heroes who rest in Blackford County David Kirkpatrick • John Mills John Saxon • John Twibell • Thomas Miles Erected by The Nancy Knight Chapter Daughters of the American . . . — Map (db m54624) HM
87Indiana (Blackford County), Hartford City — Blackford County W.W. I Honor Roll — Spirit of The American Doughboy —
(( Front of Base )) “Lest We Forget” Those from Blackford County who answered their Country’s call in the World War, Apr. 6th 1917 to Nov. 11th 1918. “Our Boys” (( Obverse of Base )) When the . . . — Map (db m54272) WM
88Indiana (Blackford County), Hartford City — Blackford County W.W. II Honor Roll
((( Center Panel ))) Dedicated to the Honor and Sacrifice of our men and women of Blackford County who served our Country in World War II ——— 1941 — ★ — 1945 ——— in Honor . . . — Map (db m54607) WM
89Indiana (Blackford County), Montpelier — 05.1989.1 — Godfroy Reserve
Reserved by U.S. to Chief Francois Godfroy of the Miami National of Indians by treaty at St. Mary's, Ohio, 6 October 1818, 3,840 acres on Salamonie River at La Petite Prairie, Harrison Township, Blackford County; reserve lands sold 1827, 1836. — Map (db m63825) HM
90Indiana (Boone County), Jamestown — Jamestown (Indiana) War Memorial
Jamestown War Memorial Dedicated to the memory of all Veterans of all Wars Great is he who lays down his life for his Country in the name of Freedom. Erected by the people in the year of Our Lord . . . — Map (db m43762) WM
91Indiana (Boone County), Lebanon — Abraham Lincoln
Enroute to Washington, D.C., to become 16th President of the U.S., addressed citizens of Lebanon and Boone County from rear of railroad passenger car at this place on the evening of February 11, 1861. — Map (db m3811) HM
92Indiana (Boone County), Lebanon — Boone County (Indiana) Veterans
( Center - Engraved in Stone: ) In Memory of our Boone County Veterans who Bravely Served in Our Wars. Erected by The American Legion Brown - Dolson Post 113 Lebanon, Ind. ( Left Bronze Plaque: ) . . . — Map (db m21359) WM
93Indiana (Boone County), Lebanon — Boone County Veterans Memorial
* * * World War I * * * 1917 —— 1918 Battle Deaths: 53,402 * * * World War II * * * 1941 —— 1945 Battle Deaths: 291,557 * * * Korean War * * * 1950 —— 1953 Battle Deaths: 33,741 . . . — Map (db m54898) WM
94Indiana (Boone County), Lebanon — Revolutionary War MemorialSoldiers Buried in Boone County Indiana
In Memory of Revolutionary Soldiers Buried in Boone County Indiana Arthur Andrews 1753 - - 1834 John Ferguson 1759 - - 1839 William Gipson 1753 - - 1835 James Hill 1745 - - 1854 Henry Johns 1757 - - 1833 John Leap 1735 - - . . . — Map (db m21353) WM
95Indiana (Boone County), Mechanicsburg — 06.1985.1 — Boone County REMC
The Boone County REMC built Indiana's first electric cooperative line to the Clark Woody farm 5 miles west of this site with funds borrowed from the Rural Electrification Administration, July 22, 1935. — Map (db m27673) HM
96Indiana (Boone County), Thorntown — 06.1961.1 — Indian CemeteryEel River Tribe of Miamis
Ka-wi-a-ki-un-gi Village "Place of Thorns" (Thorntown) was center of 64,000 acre Thorntown Indian Reserve. Granted to Eel River Miamis in 1818, ceded to U.S. in 1828. — Map (db m21352) HM
97Indiana (Boone County), Zionsville — Lincoln's Stop in Zionsville, Indiana
Abraham Lincoln enroute to Washington as President Elect on February ll, 1861 addressed the Citizens of Zionsville at the Railroad Depot which stood on this site. — Map (db m8326) HM
98Indiana (Boone County), Zionsville — 06.1966.2 — Michigan Road
With proceeds from the sale of 170,580 acres of Indian land granted by the Federal Government, Indiana built its first north-south road. Surveyed 1829, passable by 1834, "completed" in 1837, its cost was $242,000.00. — Map (db m67191) HM
99Indiana (Boone County), Zionsville — 06.1962.1 — Patrick H. Sullivan1794 - 1879
Patrick H. Sullivan, 1794-1879, was the first white settler in Boone County, 1823, and built the first log cabin. In 1857, he bought this site and lived here until 1872. He served in the War of 1812. — Map (db m67190) HM
100Indiana (Boone County), Zionsville — Town of Zionsville Founded in 1852
In the beautiful Eagle Creek valley of southeastern Boone County, a new town was planned on land owned by Elijah and Mary "Polly" Cross. Convinced by Lebanon businessman William Zion, a director of the Lafayette & Indianapolis Railroad, the . . . — Map (db m8328) HM

1872 entries matched your criteria. The first 100 are listed above. Next 100 ⊳
 
Paid Advertisement
Sep. 21, 2020