Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Caldwell County Texas Historical Markers

 
Approx area of Comanche Flats where battle began, about 5.5 SE of marker. image, Touch for more information
By Richard Denney
Approx area of Comanche Flats where battle began, about 5.5 SE of marker.
Texas (Caldwell County), Lockhart — 9783 — Battle of Plum Creek
The harsh anti-Indian policies of President Mirabeau B. Lamar and Mexican efforts to weaken the Republic of Texas stirred Indian hostilities. Hatred increased after the Council House Fight in San Antonio, March 19, 1840, where 12 Comanche chiefs . . . — Map (db m64063) HM
Texas (Caldwell County), Lockhart — 9759 — Caldwell County
A part of De Witt’s Colony, 1825-1836. A part of Gonzales County to 1848. First settlements were on Plum Creek and the San Marcos River Created     March 6, 1848 Organized     August 7, 1848 Named in honor of Mathew . . . — Map (db m91552) HM
Texas (Caldwell County), Lockhart — Caldwell County Confederate Soldiers Memorial
(Northwest Face of Memorial) In Memory of Our Soldiers (Southeast Face of Memorial) Tell it as you may It never can be told, Sing it as you may It never can be sung The story of the glory Of the men who wore . . . — Map (db m91554) WM
Texas (Caldwell County), Lockhart — 9760 — Caldwell County Courthouse
The first Caldwell County courthouse was erected on this site in 1848, when the county was organized and named for Mathew Caldwell, a Texas Ranger and signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence. It was replaced in 1858 by a 2-story limestone . . . — Map (db m91553) HM
Texas (Caldwell County), Lockhart — 9763 — Dr. Eugene Clark Library
Built in 1899 and dedicated on July 6, 1900, this library was financed with funds bequeathed by Dr. Clark, who was a prominent physician of Lockhart and San Antonio. A native of New Orleans, he was a graduate of Tulane Medical School and studied . . . — Map (db m111182) HM
Texas (Caldwell County), Lockhart — 16772 — First Presbyterian Church of Lockhart
In 1849, Rev. N.P. Charlot appointed D.M. Morris and Col. John T. Storey as elders of First Presbyterian Church, which organized with ten members. Early services were held in members’ homes and the Masonic hall before church elders bought this site . . . — Map (db m91555) HM
Texas (Caldwell County), Lockhart — 9774 — Isham Jones Good
Born in Georgia, Isham Jones Good (1813-1866) came to Texas in 1835 with a group of volunteers to join the Texian forces in their war for independence from Mexico. As a member of the Georgia battalion, Good went to the aid of Col. James W. Fannin, . . . — Map (db m149162) HM
Texas (Caldwell County), Lockhart — 12653 — Lincecum Cemetery
Garland R. Lincecum, cousin of Alamo hero James Bowie, and his wife Emmaline left Mississippi and settled on land he had purchased here in 1847. Lincecum, who signed a petition with others to create Caldwell County in 1847, died in 1853 and was the . . . — Map (db m149165) HM
Texas (Caldwell County), Lockhart — 11775 — Polonia Cemetery
The three-acre tract of land that was the Polish settlement of Polonia was deeded to Bishop John Neraz of the Catholic Diocese of San Antonio in 1894 by Joseph and Veronica Dzierzanowski. The community was founded one year after the death of Simon . . . — Map (db m149956) HM
Texas (Caldwell County), Lockhart — 14663 — Saint John Colony
This community began in the early 1870s when a group of freedmen and their families, led by the Rev. John Henry Winn, relocated here from Webberville (approx. 20 mi. N). The original fourteen families purchased about 2,000 acres of land to establish . . . — Map (db m149374) HM
Texas (Caldwell County), Luling — 9786 — Zedler's Mills
John and James Meriwether and Leonidas Hardeman in 1874 built gristmill and sawmill at this site, with a stone dam across the San Marcos River. Bob Innes, John Orchard, J.K. Walker, and Fritz Zedler, as Luling Water Power Co., bought mills in 1884, . . . — Map (db m76908) HM
Texas (Caldwell County), Martindale — 13742 — Ebenezer Lutheran Church
In 1885 the Rev. C. Kreuzenstein conducted the first formal German Lutheran worship service in this area. On June 3, 1886, a congregation was organized with 20 charter families. In 1924, during the pastorate of the Rev. Hans Erich Krause . . . — Map (db m149951) HM
Texas (Caldwell County), Martindale — 13069 — Humphreys Cemetery
Members of the Jennings and Humphreys families settled in the Martindale area in the 1850s. They established a cemetery on land bought by Joseph Humphreys in 1855. Set aside on this raised area, the burial ground initially served family members who . . . — Map (db m149944) HM
Texas (Caldwell County), Mustang Ridge — 9777 — Harris Cemetery
Sidon H. Harris and his family arrived in Texas in 1851, and moved to this vicinity in 1856. Harris and his wife, Amanda, bought two parcels of land, and this family cemetery was begun when Sidon died in 1861. Two Harris children were buried here in . . . — Map (db m149822) HM
Texas (Caldwell County), Stairtown — 12654 — Rafael Rios No. 1(Located 0.8 Mi.N, on Farm Road 671)
Discovery well of Luling Field, a major Texas oil area. Wildcatter E.B. Davis drilled on land owned by R. Rios. Well came in Aug. 10, 1922, after 3 dry holes had been drilled in same area. Magnolia (now Mobil) Oil Co. bought field 1926. By 1969, . . . — Map (db m76906) HM

15 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 2, 2020