The Irish sculptor of international stature was born in Coumduff, Annascaul in 1876. His family emigrated to the USA in 1888 where he developed his artistic skills. He returned to Dublin in 1925, worked there until his death in 1943.
Among . . . — — Map (db m23075) HM
Expeditions to Antarctica
Terra Nova, 1910-1013
In recognition of his invaluable
contribution to these expeditions
and of his many acts of
selfless heroism on behalf
of his companions . . . — — Map (db m23045) HM
This group, the most westerly off the Irish coast, comprises 7 sizeable islands and isolated rocks spread in a line west by south over 2½ miles of the Atlantic, the largest (Great Blasket) 2 miles off shore.
Antiquities of the early . . . — — Map (db m24096) HM
Dunbeg Promontory Fort
This Promontory Fort consists of four fosses (ditches) and five mounds. Behind this we have the terraced dry-stone masonry rampart, originally straight but which became curved during later construction work. The . . . — — Map (db m24780) HM
Built around the 7th or 8th century this Oratory resembles an inverted boat. This is the only perfect remaining example of a number of small corbel-built Oratories on a rectangular plan. The outward inclination of the bed joints of the stonework . . . — — Map (db m23499) HM
Kilmalkedar — from Cill Mhaoilchéadair (the Church of Mhaoilchéadair)
Kilmalkedar, one of the most important early church sites on the Dingle peninsula, is traditionally associated with St. Brendan but it . . . — — Map (db m24299) HM
This sculpture was designed by
local councillor and craftsman
The “Standing Stone” illustrates
the River Feale
which flows around our town.
The “Ring” depicts an earthen fort
situated in the . . . — — Map (db m23989) HM
Where very many
nameless victims of the
Irish Famine of 1845-47
Also buried here are others
in the nearby workhouse
Saibhreas na bhflaitheas dóibh! — — Map (db m23042) HM
Reask - from An Riasc (the marsh). This important early monastery was probably founded in the 6th century.
Little is known of the history of the site. The enclosing wall is roughly circular and its interior is divided by a . . . — — Map (db m24147) HM