101 entries match your criteria. The first 100 are listed. The final 1 ⊳
Historical Markers and War Memorials in Fayette County, Pennsylvania
Adjacent to Fayette County, Pennsylvania
► Greene County (25) ► Somerset County (79) ► Washington County (89) ► Westmoreland County (100) ► Garrett County, Maryland (127) ► Monongalia County, West Virginia (121) ► Preston County, West Virginia (69)
Touch name on list to highlight map location.
Touch blue arrow, or on map, to go there.
|John A. Brashear, astronomer, educator, was born here 1840. His grandfather kept the Brashear House, a leading tavern. In 1825 Lafayette spoke from its doorway to the people of Brownsville. — — Map (db m746) HM|
|Once called Redstone Old Fort, its history includes the Ohio Company storehouse, 1854, and Fort Burd, 1759. It was on the route of Nemacolin's Trail, of Burd's Road, and of the National Road. — — Map (db m250) HM|
|ASM International has designated Brownsville - Route 40 Bridge an historical landmark. This bridge, designed by and built under the supervision of Capt. Richard Delafield in 1839 to improve the "National Road", is the first cast iron bridge to be . . . — — Map (db m252) HM|
|An integral part of the National Road, this was the first metal arch bridge in the United States, built 1836-39. Replacing several earlier bridges on this site, including an 1809 Finley suspension bridge, this 80-foot span was built of cast iron by . . . — — Map (db m251) HM|
|Born May 6, 1853 in a house still standing on Front Street. Attorney-General in 1901, leading the anti-trust fight. A U.S. Senator, 1904–09. Secretary of State under Taft. Re-elected Senator in 1917. Died in 1921. — — Map (db m747) HM|
|This tablet is erected by the Great Meadows Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, to mark the site of the Redstone Old Fort, accredited to the Mound Builders. It is also the site of Fort Burd, built by the British in 1759, under Colonel . . . — — Map (db m247) HM|
| Steamboat Enterprise Fourth steamboat built in Western Pennsylvania, Bridgeport, 1814. Engine design by Daniel French. Captain Henry M. Shreve, commanding. Steamed to New Orleans, Fall, 1814 and returned June 1815. First steamboat to ascend the . . . — — Map (db m41775) HM|
|The first cast iron bridge built in the United States, was built in 1836-1839 over Dunlap's Creek at this point. — — Map (db m253) HM|
|Nearby was the house of this collector of excise tax on whiskey. In the summer of 1794, after the Whiskey Rebellion had turned violent, his house was burned down by an angry crowd. Wells had spurned previous warnings by excise tax protectors. — — Map (db m41774) HM|
|General Braddock's twelfth camp, June 28, 1755, on the march to Fort Duquesne, was north of here, near the Youghiogheny River. On June 30, the army forded the River at Stewart's Crossing to a point about one-half mile northwest of present-day . . . — — Map (db m31905) HM|
|British Major General Edward Braddock camped here at Stewart's Crossing on the banks of the Youghiogheny River, June 28-30, 1755. His goal was to reach Fort Duquesne (Pittsburgh) and drive the French from the area. He was accompanied by colonial . . . — — Map (db m76134) HM|
|The Youghiogheny River has cut a winding gorge through the Chestnut Ridge, the western-most uplift of the Appalachian Mountains. The tall ridges bordering the river are heavily forested but lack the tree species for which the ridge is names: the . . . — — Map (db m76712) HM|
|Hero of Indian wars, made his home about a half mile from Connellsville after 1766, and was Washington's land agent. During the Revolution, he led a campaign against Ohio Indians; he was captured and killed near Upper Sandusky in 1782. — — Map (db m41776) HM|
|In memory of Colonel William Crawford, born in Berkeley County, Virginia, in 1732. Friend of Washington --pioneer -- patriot. This monument is situated 1260 yards S. 69 E. 16' of the spot where he built his log cabin in 1765 on the west bank of the . . . — — Map (db m41778) HM|
|•You see in the distance Chestnut Ridge, the western edge of the Allegheny Mountains; behind you, you will not encounter mountains again until you reach the Rockies, more than 1,000 miles away. A ford of the Youghiogheny River known as Stewart's . . . — — Map (db m76709) HM|
|Cedar Creek Gorge, 21.8 miles north. Off the main trail in Cedar Creek Park, you will find waterfalls and wildflowers, as well as a suspension bridge over the gorge. photo by Betsy Mandarino.Great
Tufta Formation, 20.5 miles north. A living, . . . — — Map (db m76710) HM|
|Dedicated to the memory of the men and women who served their country during the Revolutionary and all succeeding wars. — — Map (db m59684) HM|
|Dedicated to the veterans of all wars. Their devotion, sacrifices and ideals have assured our liberties.
This memorial presented by the Connellsville Sesqui-Centennial Association 1956. Dedicated November 11, 1958.
[right . . . — — Map (db m76719) WM|
|Motion picture pioneer, born in Connellsville. Developed concepts of film editing, screenplay, and other cinematic techniques. In early 20th century, he was America's leading director; his most famous film was "The Great Train Robbery," 1903. — — Map (db m41784) HM|
|Christopher Gist, the Ohio Company surveyor who went to Fort LeBoeuf with Washington, settled here in 1753. In 1754, Washington halted his campaign here and retreated to Fort Necessity. Pursuing French destroyed the plantation. — — Map (db m59677) HM|
| . . . — — Map (db m76141) HM|
|The Georgian manor on the hill was built 1802 by Isaac Meason. Veteran of the Revolution, Meason was a pioneer ironmaster. In 1817 at Plumsock he built one of the first rolling mills. — — Map (db m59679) HM|
|From 1944 until 1946, about 800 women of all ages met 600,000 troops who passed through the B&O Railroad station. From offices here, volunteers furnished food and drink 24 hours a day and chauffeured personnel to their homes. — — Map (db m41800) HM|
|Coal was mined in this region and transformed into coke in beehive ovens. Almost pure carbon, coke burns hotter than coal and was crucial to the success of Pittsburgh's steel making.
One of the largest coking complexes was Adelaide, founded by . . . — — Map (db m76723) HM|
|This Finial was the uppermost element of the building known as Number One, Poultry, in the heart of the City of London.The building was constructed in 1870 to a design by the Victorian architect John Belcher Jr., in the Venetian-Gothic style.A . . . — — Map (db m62144) HM|
|The K6 was designed by the architect Sir Giles Gilbert Scott, as a result of a commission from the Post Office, to celebrate the Jubilee of King George V in 1935. It arrived on the streets a year later.The K6 was made of cast iron, and it was . . . — — Map (db m62142) HM|
|I. N. and Bernardine Hagan House "Kentuck Knob" has been designated a National Historic Landmark This site possesses National significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America Constructed of native stone, tidewater cypress, . . . — — Map (db m62141) HM|
|The remains of the beehive coke ovens, that are visible on both sides of the Youghiogheny River, are some of the first in what became known as the "Connellsville Coke Region", with over 35,000 ovens in operation.
Coke, a hard, porous residue with . . . — — Map (db m76694) HM|
|Maj. Gen. Edward Braddock—commander-in-chief of British forces in North America—traveled over the road trace below on June 25, 1755. Marching north with his 2,400-man army, the 60-year-old Braddock was under orders to capture Fort . . . — — Map (db m339) HM|
|Gen. Edward Braddock was buried here in 1755, after his disastrous defeat and death. The site of his original grave, the new grave to which his remains were moved in 1804, and a trace of the Braddock Road may be seen here. — — Map (db m310) HM|
|Here lieth the remains of Major General Edward Braddock who, in command of the 44th and 48th regiments of English Regulars, was mortally wounded in an engagement with the French and Indians under the command of Captain M. de Beaujeu at the Battle of . . . — — Map (db m304) HM|
|This tablet marks the spot where Major-General Edward Braddock was buried, July 14th, 1755,
His remains were removed in 1804 to the site of the present monument. — — Map (db m166925) HM|
From the earthworks and stream banks behind you, the British fired back at the French and Indians. A steady rain dampened the gun powder and fouled muskets. Lying in water-filled trenches, the British soldiers' ammunition and morale began to . . . — — Map (db m152698) HM|
Here, in a rare meadow among the frontier forests, British soldiers began raising a small stockade in May of 1754. Lt. Col. George Washington and 40 Virginia militia had skirmished with a small French detachment nearby on May 28; now Washington . . . — — Map (db m152696) HM|
By 1933, the fourth year of the Great Depression, America's unemployment rate stood at twenty-five percent. To alleviate this and other economic issues, newly elected President Franklin Delano Roosevelt initiated his New Deal reforms. The best . . . — — Map (db m152695) HM|
Do you measure up in Washington's Army?
These are the British troops who defended the frontier during the Battle of Fort Necessity, July 3, 1754.
Are you dressed for the campaign?
These are the French troops and American Indian . . . — — Map (db m152694) HM|
|Before the Europeans, only Indian trails led through virgin forests that once stretched beyond the horizon. About 1750 Nemacolin, a Delaware Indian, blazed a trail past here for the Ohio Company. Four years later, Virginia militia under Lt. Col. . . . — — Map (db m333) HM|
| Fort Necessity was located about 400 yards to the south in the Great Meadows. Built and commanded, 1754 by Lieutenant Colonel George Washington, aged 22. Here, after 9 hours engagement with M. Coulon de Villiers in command of 900 French regulars . . . — — Map (db m341) HM|
|Colonel George Washington on June 29, 1754 began a fort here. July 4 he surrendered to a superior force of French. Fort Necessity Park includes the historic area and reconstructed fort. — — Map (db m41789) HM|
|On this “charming field for an encounter” George Washington built Fort Necessity in May-June 1754 as defense against an approaching French force. The battle fought here July 3 brought on the French and Indian War for control of the . . . — — Map (db m105634) WM|
George Washington's only surrender took place here on July 3, 1754. After an eight to nine hour battle on a rainy day, he capitulated to a sizable force of French soldiers and their Indian allies, led by Jumonville's older brother de Villiers. . . . — — Map (db m152675) HM|
|This tavern once bustled with activity. Judge Nathaniel Ewing of Uniontown built it about 1830, then sold in in 1840 to James Sampey, who ran the tavern with his family. Mount Washington Tavern was a stage stop for the Good Intent Stage Line, one of . . . — — Map (db m347) HM|
|Organized March 24, 1842, the first congregation of this church worshipped in a log building which is preserved as the thirty feet square sanctuary of the existing structure. The church is located only one-half mile east of Fort Necessity on the . . . — — Map (db m348) HM|
|Our first national road; fathered by Albert Gallatin. Begun in 1811 at Cumberland, Md.; completed to Wheeling in 1818. Toll road under State control, 1835-1905. Rebuilt, it is present U.S. Route 40. — — Map (db m340) HM|
|On June 25, 1755, the largest army assembled in North America up to that time passed this spot. British Maj. Gen. Edward Braddock led the first 1,400 soldiers of his 2,400-man army along a 12-foot-wide road. Lt. Col. Thomas Dunbar lagged behind with . . . — — Map (db m338) HM|
Soon after 8:00 p.m. on July 3, 1754, the British crossed this meadow to discuss the surrender terms being offered by the French under Captain Louis Coulon de Villiers. The timing was fortunate for the British as about half of their 400 soldiers . . . — — Map (db m152700) HM|
July 3, 1754 dawned gray and drizzly. Mid-morning about 700 French and Indians approached from the far end of the meadow toward fewer than 400 British soldiers in and around Fort Necessity. French Captain Louis Coulon de Villiers saw the British . . . — — Map (db m152699) HM|
|This tablet marks the site of The Great Meadows where Lt. Col. George Washington fought his first battle and made his first and last surrender, July 3-4, 1754. — — Map (db m502) HM|
|“Up to this time the colonies have been acting as entirely separate and independent states.” From message of Governor James Glenn to the South Carolina Assembly, March 5, 1754.
The Great Meadows Campaign marked the first . . . — — Map (db m1113) HM|
|This "National Road" connected east and west in the 1800s. George Washington proposed a route to join the western frontier to the eastern seaboard in the late 1700s. His idea was later promoted by Albert Gallatin, Secretary of the Treasury under . . . — — Map (db m342) HM|
|This tablet marks a well preserved scar of the Old Braddock Trail, one of the most historic pioneer highways in all America.
Here, Nemacolin and his associates blazed the trail that became a National Highway.
Here, passed the laden pack horse . . . — — Map (db m33439) HM|
|William Behrends — The Polo Player. The bronze Polo Player is the work of William Behrends, one of the nation's foremost sculptors. Educated both in the U.S.A. and Europe, Behrends has won some of the nation's top sculpture awards. His . . . — — Map (db m503) HM|
| Portions of this trail system pass through the Great Meadows where George Washington and his troops fought a large French and Indian force on July 3, 1754.
The Braddock Road Trace is the remnant of the road built by Washington in 1754 and . . . — — Map (db m152678) HM|
|Our first national road; fathered by Albert Gallatin. Begun in 1811 at Cumberland, Md.; completed to Wheeling in 1818. Toll road under State control, 1835-1905. Rebuilt, it is present U.S. Route 40. — — Map (db m256) HM|
|General Braddock’s tenth camp, June 26, 1755, on the march to Fort Duquesne, was at the Half King’s Rock, one mile NE of here. The Rock was named for Washington’s friend Tanacharisson, the Iroquois viceroy (half king) of the Ohio Indians. Washington . . . — — Map (db m507) HM|
|From the creation of the National Road in 1806 until the advent of the railroads in the 1850s, thousands of travellers crossed Chestnut Ridge between the East and Midwest. Founded in 1791, Hopwood was a major resting stop for traffic in both . . . — — Map (db m41796) HM|
|Remnant of the Great Rock or the Half King’s Rock mentioned by early cartographers.
The famous Washington-Braddock Road emerging from Laurel Hill Mountain one hundred yards eastward turned northward at this point.
Rock Fort Camp, where . . . — — Map (db m74926) HM|
|This spring lies in the direct path of what was known as Nemacolin’s Trail. Afterwards Braddock’s Road, and was a favorite sampling spot in early days.
George Washington visited here first in November, 1753, and again in May, 1954. On the night . . . — — Map (db m74911) HM|
|Rock Fort Camp, Braddock's tenth camp, began at the woods opposite where the Washington-Braddock Road emerged from Chestnut Ridge Mountain and extended to the northward beyond the Half King's Rock and Washington's Spring. Here Braddock camped June . . . — — Map (db m100185) HM|
|General Braddock’s army ascended the ridge east of this point and advanced toward Gist’s Plantation. Col. Dunbar’s detachment, following with the heavy baggage, made its last camp here. Later, as Braddock’s defeated army streamed back, Dunbar . . . — — Map (db m504) HM|
|General Braddock's eighth camp, June 25, 1755, on the march to Fort Duquesne, was about half a mile S.W. Chestnut Ridge, seen on the horizon to the west, was the last mt. range to be crossed. Axemen widened an Indian path for passage of supply . . . — — Map (db m349) HM|
|Since Indian days this was a major Youghiogeny River crossing place. In 1754 Washington’s Virginians camped here. Braddock’s army marched through here. The National Road bridged the river at this point in 1818. — — Map (db m106891) HM|
To Our Boys
World War II and Korean Conflict
Artice, George R • Artice, Daniel M • Bird, Junior • Bird, Oliver • Bird Robert • Boyd, James R • Bunworth, Earl • Butler, Cecil • Close, Merle E • . . . — — Map (db m152704) WM|
Built as a blockhouse in 1774–78 by John Mason. It was a settler’s refuge in Revolutionary days. The site of the fort was nearby. Later rebuilt on Main Street as a dwelling. — — Map (db m134168) HM|
Renamed for John Mason
Founded 1798 — — Map (db m139467) HM|
Fire Nearly Destroyed This Church
on July 15, 2004.
Rebuilt and Rededicated
to the glory of God
and to our Savior, Jesus Christ,
July 24, 2005. — — Map (db m139463) HM|
In memory of
July 28, 1918.
Charles E. Weimer
Sept. 26, 1918. — — Map (db m139464) HM|
|Designed by Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959), this house was built in 1936 as a family retreat for Pittsburgh businessman Edgar J. Kaufmann. Widely admired for its design, it is dramatically cantilevered over a waterfall; it exemplifies Wright's . . . — — Map (db m41785) HM|
has been designated a
This site possesses national significance
in commemorating the history of the
United States of America — — Map (db m138206) HM|
|This tablet marks the site of General Edward Braddock's fourteenth encampment or bivouac. Here Braddock's army spent the night July 1, 1755 having marched five miles from their camp on the east side of the Youghiogheny near Connellsville. The army . . . — — Map (db m67387) HM|
|Half a mile east of here, 1794-1797, the first glass factory west of the Alleghenies was founded by Albert Gallatin, Secretary of the Treasury under Thomas Jefferson. He was aided by skillful glassworkers from the Amelung factory -- Kramer, Gabler, . . . — — Map (db m59680) HM|
|First furnace west of the Alleghenies. Built 1789 on banks of nearby Jacob's Creek, its ruins are still observable. Supplied iron for Wayne's campaign in 1794 against the Indians. — — Map (db m41773) HM|
|The bee-hive ovens nearby are typical of the region. Coke was first made from coal near Connellsville in this type oven about 1840. Since 1870 use of coke has been vital to steel making. — — Map (db m74975) HM|
|Jeffersonian diplomat, financier, and statesman. Gallatin was the longest serving US Secretary of the Treasury, 1801 to 1814. As such, he facilitated the Lewis and Clark Expedition, successfully reduced the national debt until the War of 1812, and . . . — — Map (db m74478) HM|
"...his personal Character, as well as his present Designs,
entitle him to the most cordial Regards."
Patrick Henry, Governor of Virginia
March 25, 1785
Early American Statesman
In 1780, 19-year old Albert Gallatin . . . — — Map (db m139472) HM|
|Albert Gallatin bought this land in 1786 when this area was known as the “Western Country.” Three years later he constructed a two-story brick house at Friendship Hill for his new bride, Sophie. After Sophie died, Gallatin built . . . — — Map (db m60981) HM|
|The Monongahela River served as one of many “river highways” to the western territories. Since there were few overland roads west of here, most settlers rafted north (to your right) on the Monongahela River to Pittsburgh, then down the . . . — — Map (db m163419) HM|
|Friendship Hill has changed greatly since Albert Gallatin sold the property in 1832. To Gallatin, the property reflected his dream of agricultural pursuits and establishment of the industry. With the passage of time and ownership, Friendship Hill . . . — — Map (db m60983) HM|
Gallatin's First Wife
Albert Gallatin met Sophia Allegre while staying at her mother's boarding house in Richmond, Virginia, during the mid-1780s. Against her mother's wishes, Sophia married Albert on May 14, 1789.
As the . . . — — Map (db m139524) HM|
A stone foundation is all that remains of a large wooden water tank that once stood on the low hilltop. Built around the year 1900, the tank used gravity to provide the property with water, which had been pumped up from the nearby . . . — — Map (db m139520) HM|
|In memory of the men and women who served our country in all wars — — Map (db m171889) WM|
|Dedicated to the American Soldier of All Wars July 22, 1928 — — Map (db m172037) WM|
|This memorial serves as a reminder that freedom is not free
- Dedicated to these wars and all other conflicts -
World War Two
Vietnam 1964 * 1975
US Persian Gulf War Veteran
US Iraq War Veteran
US Afghanistan War Veteran . . . — — Map (db m172533) WM|
|In Memory of
All Americans who have
honorably and faithfully
served in the Armed Forces of
the United States of America
Dedicated by SAL #0499 on May 28, 2016. — — Map (db m172547) WM|
| SMS William D. Hicks USAF-35 •
AFC Michael E. Widener USAF-21 •
SP/5 Robert 0. Franklin ARMY-33 •
PFC Joseph G. Evans Jr. USMC 20 •
PFC Richard T. Malaspina USMC-21 •
S/SGT John W. Earnesty ARMY-38 •
SP/4 Gary F. Lewis ARMY-18 •
L/CPL . . . — — Map (db m172814) WM|
|This experimental community for coal miners unemployed during the Depression was developed, 1937-43, by the American Friends Service Committee. On the 200-acre tract, fifty families built their stone houses, a cooperative store, and a knitting . . . — — Map (db m59682) HM|
|In 1817 ironmaster Isaac Meason and Welshman, Thomas Lewis built a puddling furnace and bar rolling mill here using a process from Wales that revolutionized the iron industry. It removed carbon from brittle pig iron creating malleable wrought iron . . . — — Map (db m108156) HM|
|Located in Fayette and Westmoreland Counties, the region's abundant high quality Pittsburgh vein coal yielded superior coke, used to smelt iron. This refined form of coal was produced in beehive ovens from the mid-19th century to the 1970s. . . . — — Map (db m59683) HM|
|In 1964 Fayette County leaders headed by Orville and Robert Eberly approached Penn State about opening a local campus and began a campaign to raise funds to support the project. University trustee J. Lewis Williams also backed the effort and a . . . — — Map (db m73914) HM|
|Formed September 26, 1783 from Westmoreland County. Named for the Marquis de Lafayette. Among the French and Indian War sites here is Fort Necessity. The county seat, Uniontown, was incorporated 1796. On the National Road, eventually US Route 40. — — Map (db m41786) HM|
|Built by Thomas Gaddis about 1764 on the Catawba trail, as a place of refuge from the Indians. Gaddis was later a colonel in the Pennsylvania Continental Line during the Revolution. — — Map (db m41788) HM|
|Born in Uniontown on December 31, 1880 and known as “Flicker” during his youth, General of the Army and Chief of Staff. George Catlett Marshall was the organizer of the Allied victory in WWII and later served as the Secretary of State . . . — — Map (db m1139) HM|
|Soldier and statesman, born December 31, 1880, on this site. Chief of Staff, United States Army, 1939-45. General of the Army from December 1944. Secretary of State, 1947-49, and Defense, 1950-51. Author of Marshall Plan for European recovery. . . . — — Map (db m57086) HM|
|In 1808 Finley obtained the first US patent for a suspension bridge. His first rigid chain bridge, which once spanned nearby Jacob’s Creek, exemplified the ingenuity of Finley’s design. Bridges following his patented design were built in several . . . — — Map (db m41794) HM|
|Built about 1800. Here many early families received their first education. Restored as the Girl Scout Little House by Girl Scouts of Uniontown in 1939. Placed by the Albert Gallatin Chapter, U.S.D. 1812 — — Map (db m74968) HM|
|Erected by Pennsylvania, 1835, to collect tolls on the old National Road. Administered by The Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission — — Map (db m257) HM|
|One of the six original toll houses on the Cumberland or National Road. It was built by the State after the road was turned over to it by the United States in 1835. The road was completed through this section in 1817-1818. — — Map (db m41798) HM|
|The path to freedom led this way for slaves fleeing the South in the years before the Civil War. Here, they were given haven and helped along their journey by local people, through one of the key stations on the Underground Railroad, in a house on . . . — — Map (db m1115) HM|
|Founded by Henry Beeson, who built a blockhouse on site of the county jail in 1774. Uniontown gained importance with the building of the National Road after 1811. — — Map (db m41799) HM|
|Founded by Henry Beeson, who built a blockhouse on site of the county jail in 1774. Uniontown gained importance with the building of the National Road after 1811. — — Map (db m167220) HM|
101 entries matched your criteria. The first 100 are listed above. The final 1 ⊳