Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Frankfort, Kentucky Historical Markers

 
Capital Avenue Loop image, Touch for more information
By Bernard Fisher, December 30, 2012
Capital Avenue Loop
Kentucky (Franklin County), Frankfort — 504 — A Civil War Reprisal
Near here on Nov. 2, 1864 four innocent Confederate prisoners were executed in reprisal for the murder of Union supporter, Robert Graham of Peaks Mill, Franklin Co. All Kentuckians: Elijah Horton of Carter, Thomas Hunt and John Long of Mason, . . . — Map (db m62244) HM
Kentucky (Franklin County), Frankfort — 1799 — Amos Kendall (1789 - 1869)
(Side A) This noted journalist-politician lived here. A Massachusetts native, he migrated to Kentucky in 1814 and spent one year with the family of Henry Clay as tutor. From 1816-28, Kendall resided in Frankfort as editor of the Argus of . . . — Map (db m85179) HM
Kentucky (Franklin County), Frankfort — 1205 — Bibb Burnley House
Site of first house lived in on street, 1786, by John Instone, who came here from England to build boats for General Wilkinson. Wapping Street named by Instone for one of that name in London. John B. Bibb, Lieutenant, War of 1812, represented Logan . . . — Map (db m85136) HM
Kentucky (Franklin County), Frankfort — 1997 — Buena Vista / Todd House
(Front) Buena Vista One-half mile south is the site of two-story frame house best known as the summer residence of Robert S. Todd (1791-1849), father of first lady Mary Todd Lincoln. The large family took refuge here from the heat and . . . — Map (db m84253) HM
Kentucky (Franklin County), Frankfort — Buffalo Trace
On July 16th, 1773, James McAfee, George McAfee, Robert McAfee, James McCoun Jr., Samuel Adams and Hancock Taylor following the Buffalo Trace from Big Bone lick, crossed the Kentucky River at this point, and made the first survey upon it. Here . . . — Map (db m22150) HM
Kentucky (Franklin County), Frankfort — 01000450 — Buffalo Trace DistilleryFree House
In the early days of whiskey production, a tax was levied on the product as soon as it left the still. Knowing that bourbon improved through aging, distilleries convinced the government that the tax should not fall due until the maturation process . . . — Map (db m22394) HM
Kentucky (Franklin County), Frankfort — Buffalo Trace Distillery - - Warehouse C
Built in 1881, this graceful whiskey aging warehouse is a fine example of “Rick Construction”. The basic structure is built of massive wooden beams which bear the entire weight of the 24,000 barrels residing herein. The foundation . . . — Map (db m22267) HM
Kentucky (Franklin County), Frankfort — 2299 — Capt. Daniel Weisiger III / Weisiger House
(side 1) Capt. Daniel Weisiger III 1763-1829 Early Frankfort merchant, farmer, county clerk, city trustee, first postmaster, and host of Weisiger House. 1st Master of Hiram Masonic Lodge. He married Lucy Price and fathered 10 . . . — Map (db m62262) HM
Kentucky (Franklin County), Frankfort — 123 — Corner In Celebrities
Homes of Thomas S. Todd, John M. Harlan, George M. Bibb, John J. Crittenden, John Brown, James Brown, Thomas Metcalfe, Robert P. Letcher, George C. Vest, Benjamin G. Brown, James Harlan, Charles S. Morehead, Thomas S. Crittenden, John C. Watson, . . . — Map (db m97496) HM
Kentucky (Franklin County), Frankfort — 1154 — Crittenden House / An Eminent Statesman
Crittenden House This building, before west portion was added, was home of John J. Crittenden, 1819 until death 1863. Built in 1800 by Doctor Joseph Scott on land once owned by Aaron Burr. In May, 1837, Daniel Webster and family visited here. . . . — Map (db m84399) HM
Kentucky (Franklin County), Frankfort — 576 — Daniel Boone - Pioneer / Grave of Daniel Boone
Daniel Boone - Pioneer Born, Pa., 1734. Died, Mo., 1820. Married Rebecca Boone, 1756, N.C. First trip to Kentucky, 1767. Set up Ft. Boonesborough, 1775, blazed Wilderness Trail and settled. Frontiersman, surveyor, settler, legislator and . . . — Map (db m9754) HM
Kentucky (Franklin County), Frankfort — 113 — Daniel Boone's Grave
Born 1734; died 1820. Entered Eastern Kentucky, 1767; explored Bluegrass Region, 1769-71; guided Transylvania Company, blazed Wilderness Trail, built Fort Boonesborough in 1775; directed defense of the fort, 1778; emigrated to Missouri, 1799; . . . — Map (db m9728) HM
Kentucky (Franklin County), Frankfort — Dry Stone Masonry in Kentucky
Dry stone masonry is an ancient building tradition and occurs wherever rock is available and the craft tradition is known. Kentucky rock fences are a distinct style of folk architecture, locally called “rock fences” even though they are . . . — Map (db m62264) HM
Kentucky (Franklin County), Frankfort — 1707 — Early Families Here / Early South Frankfort
Early Families Here Owners whose families lived in the original house here - J.W. Denny, State Attorney General; Thomas Loughborough and son Judge Preston Loughborough, Chief U.S. Postal Inspector; Sally S. Jouett, widow of Colonel William R. . . . — Map (db m84217) HM
Kentucky (Franklin County), Frankfort — 1955 — Early Tunnel in Kentucky
Early transportation tunnel in Kentucky. It was hand bored by Lexington and Frankfort Railroad in 1849. First passenger train went through on February 23, 1850. Replaced incline, built 1835 just east of here, previously used by railroad to enter . . . — Map (db m9817) HM
Kentucky (Franklin County), Frankfort — 2235 — Emily Thomas Tubman House
(Side A) Summer home of Emily Thomas Tubman, philanthropist and emancipator. Born in Virginia in 1794, she was reared in Kentucky as ward of Henry Clay. She married Georgia merchant Richard Tubman in 1818. A widow after 1836, she gave to . . . — Map (db m85105) HM
Kentucky (Franklin County), Frankfort — 2167 — Emma Guy Cromwell1865-1952
(side 1) The first woman in Kentucky elected to statewide office, Cromwell was elected sec. of state in 1923. She held many political positions during a long career. Chosen state librarian in 1896 by legislature; was elected treasurer in . . . — Map (db m62257) HM
Kentucky (Franklin County), Frankfort — 1464 — First Baptist Church
Organized in 1833, issuing from an integrated worship, this church was established by John Ward and Ziah Black. Ward donated first lot. Members worshipped in private homes before occupying the first structure. Construction for present church began, . . . — Map (db m35849) HM
Kentucky (Franklin County), Frankfort — 1710 — First Christian Church
Organized Dec. 2, 1832, by noted minister and educator Philip S. Fall, aided by John T. Johnson. Services held at various locations until 1842 when church erected on this site. Alex. Campbell preached here. Church burned , 1870; Emily T. Tubman gave . . . — Map (db m62246) HM
Kentucky (Franklin County), Frankfort — 1476 — First Methodist Church
Organized by Reverend William Holman in 1821. First Methodist Conference in Kentucky, 1790, made Frankfort, then a frontier station, part of the Lexington Circuit. The first small church built on Ann Street. Present site of church purchased, 1856; . . . — Map (db m84401) HM
Kentucky (Franklin County), Frankfort — 1540 — First Presbyterian Church
Organized 1815, Presbyterians built first denominational church in city, 1824, on north side of Wapping, near St. Clair. This was outgrowth of Sunday School, begun in 1810 by Margaretta Brown. In 1849, the present modified Gothic church was built . . . — Map (db m84394) HM
Kentucky (Franklin County), Frankfort — Fort Hill Overlooking the Kentucky River
Once known as Blanton’s Hill after the family that owned the property, the hill that overlooks the Kentucky River and downtown Frankfort from the north has been called Fort Hill at least since the Civil War. There may have been a small, log . . . — Map (db m62265) HM
Kentucky (Franklin County), Frankfort — 1726 — Frank Lloyd Wright / Rev. Jesse R. Zeigler House
(side 1) Frank Lloyd Wright (1869-1959) Famous primarily as a residence architect, Wright also planned many impressive public structures, including the Imperial Hotel in Tokyo and Guggenheim Museum in New York City. This is the . . . — Map (db m62247) HM
Kentucky (Franklin County), Frankfort — 105 — Frankfort
Site surveyed July 16, 1773. Founded by General James Wilkinson. Chartered by Virginia Legislature Oct., 1786. Chosen Capital of Kentucky December 1792 — Map (db m9815) HM
Kentucky (Franklin County), Frankfort — 106 — Frankfort
Site surveyed July 16, 1773. Founded by General James Wilkinson. Chartered by Virginia Legislature Oct., 1786. Chosen Capital of Kentucky December 1792. — Map (db m62242) HM
Kentucky (Franklin County), Frankfort — Frankfort Bridge Site
Frankfort Bridge Site In 1810, the Frankfort Bridge Company was chartered to erect a bridge at this site. The bridge was completed here in 1816 at a cost of $25,000.00. In July, 1834 the bridge collapsed. A replacement bridge collapsed in . . . — Map (db m84879) HM
Kentucky (Franklin County), Frankfort — 1774 — Frankfort Chosen As Capital
(side 1) After Kentucky became a state, five commissioners were appointed on June 20, 1792, to choose a location for the state capital. They were John Allen and John Edwards (both from Bourbon Co.), Henry Lee (Mason Co.), Thomas Kennedy . . . — Map (db m62249) HM
Kentucky (Franklin County), Frankfort — 2423 — Frankfort State Hospital And School Cemetery
Front In 1860, Governor Magoffin signed a bill establishing the Kentucky Institution for the Education and Training of Feeble-Minded Children. In the 1940s, the name changed to the Kentucky Training Home. Adults were admitted and housed with . . . — Map (db m84220) HM
Kentucky (Franklin County), Frankfort — 1855 — Frankfort Union Station
Built by Louisville & Nashville R.R., 1908, to replace depot located here by Lexington & Frankfort R.R. in 1850s. Present station was used by Chesapeake & Ohio, Louisville & Nashville, Frankfort & Cincinnati,and Kentucky Highlands. The last . . . — Map (db m9819) HM
Kentucky (Franklin County), Frankfort — 1164 — Franklin County Hemp / Hemp in Kentucky
Side A Kentucky River Mills began making hemp yarns for backs of Brussels carpets in 1878, and started producing binder twine in 1879. Finest quality imported machinery used. Employed 125 persons year round. In 1941, received contract from . . . — Map (db m22152) HM
Kentucky (Franklin County), Frankfort — 1359 — Franklin County, 1795
Taken from portions of Woodford, Mercer and Shelby counties. Ky. had become a state 3 years earlier, with Frankfort as capital, 1792. First meeting of the legislature's second session met here, 1793. Frankfort made county seat, 1795. Named for . . . — Map (db m62243) HM
Kentucky (Franklin County), Frankfort — Franks Ford, Fishtrap Island, and Craw
Frankfort takes its name-many people believe-from an episode that took place near here during the frontier era. A group of explorers camping near the mouth of Benson Creek was attacked by Indians. One member of the group, Stephen Frank, was killed. . . . — Map (db m62266) HM
Kentucky (Franklin County), Frankfort — 2406 — Garden Hall
This Georgian home was built by Graham Vreeland in 1913. He was founder, publisher, and editor of the Frankfort News, which later became the State Journal. The architect was D. X. Murphy, who designed the grandstand and twin spires at . . . — Map (db m84461) HM
Kentucky (Franklin County), Frankfort — 1796 — Garrard/Crittenden House
This early 19th century house is architecturally notable because of brick and log construction. It has series of timbers filled in with brick and mortar and covered with clapboard, a technique uncommon to central Kentucky. Owned by several prominent . . . — Map (db m84389) HM
Kentucky (Franklin County), Frankfort — 1444 — Glen Willis
Side A Willis A. Lee, Jr., built a double two-story log house here in 1793. Tract of land on which the house stood was given to Lee by his uncle, Hancock Lee, founder of Leestown, the first settlement in Franklin County. In 1815 Lee . . . — Map (db m22126) HM
Kentucky (Franklin County), Frankfort — Gone But Not Forgotten – Frankfort’s “Craw”
The Capitol Plaza complex, a twenty-two-acre government, business, and civic mall adjacent to the Kentucky River covers an area of North Frankfort once referred to as the “Craw” or the “Bottom.” Following the Civil War an . . . — Map (db m62271) HM
Kentucky (Franklin County), Frankfort — 2057 — Good Shepherd Church
Front An active Catholic presence was established in Frankfort in 1808 with with Reverend Angier as priest. In 1820s mass was offered at house on Broadway, opposite Capitol. In 1835 worship held in house near railroad tunnel; in 1837 Bishop . . . — Map (db m97498) HM
Kentucky (Franklin County), Frankfort — Great Buffalo Trace
On July 16th, 1773, James McAfee, George McAfee, Robert McAfee, James McCoun, Jr., Samuel Adams, and Hancock Taylor, following the Buffalo Trace from Big Bone Lick, crossed the Kentucky River at this point and made the first survey upon it. Here in . . . — Map (db m55725) HM
Kentucky (Franklin County), Frankfort — 2028 — Hiram Lodge No. 4 F. & A.M.
(side 1) Chartered on December 11, 1799, by Virginia, as Hiram Lodge No. 57. It was renamed Hiram Lodge No. 4 on September 8, 1800, when the Grand Lodge of Kentucky was formed. The Ann Street lot was purchased on May 20, 1892; cornerstone . . . — Map (db m62261) HM
Kentucky (Franklin County), Frankfort — 1688 — John Hampton House / Early Stone House
John Hampton House Earliest surviving stone house in city. Built before 1840, it is constructed of patterned river limestone with jack arches over windows and doors. The builder, John Hampton, was a tavern owner and operator in the county by . . . — Map (db m35603) HM
Kentucky (Franklin County), Frankfort — 1323 — Justice Todd House
Home of Thomas Todd, built 1812. Clerk, the 10 Danville conventions leading to Kentucky statehood. Court of Appeals, 1801-06. Its chief justice, 1806-07. Justice on the United States Supreme Court, 1807-26. Born in Virginia, 1765. Died in 1826. His . . . — Map (db m84431) HM
Kentucky (Franklin County), Frankfort — Kentucky African American Civil War Memorial
(North face) Erected by Woman's Relief Corps No. 8 G.A.R. July 1924 Monument Commission E.T. Strauss, President N.C. Coleman, Secretary L.C. Redding Mary L. Brooks Clara C. McWilliams Susan Butcher M.B. McCary Sallie Handy Kate Richardson . . . — Map (db m84704) WM
Kentucky (Franklin County), Frankfort — 1752 — Kentucky State University
(Front) School was chartered 1886; opened 1887 with three teachers and 55 students. The first state-supported institution of higher education for blacks, school gained funds from legislature for building and teachers, and from Frankfort city . . . — Map (db m84462) HM
Kentucky (Franklin County), Frankfort — 2229 — Kentucky's Executive Mansion
State's second governor's residence. Governor James B. McCreary, chair of the Sinking Fund Commission, guided the two-year (1912-14), $95,000 construction project. On the National Register of Historic Places—1972. Patterned after Marie . . . — Map (db m62255) HM
Kentucky (Franklin County), Frankfort — Kentucky's United States Colored Troops
Officially, 23,703 African Americans in Kentucky responded to the call to arms by President Lincoln and Frederick Douglass to join the ranks of the newly organized United States Colored Troops. Units were organized with men from across the . . . — Map (db m84675) HM
Kentucky (Franklin County), Frankfort — 103 — Leestown
Side A In 1773 McAfee Company and Hancock Taylor came here and surveyed area, an early pioneer stopping place. By 1775 Leestown settled and named by Hancock and Willis Lee; established by Va. Assembly, 1776. Temporarily abandoned in 1777 . . . — Map (db m22153) HM
Kentucky (Franklin County), Frankfort — 2212 — Lewis and Clark in Kentucky / William Clark in Frankfort
(side 1) Lewis and Clark in Kentucky Lewis & Sheheke Meriwether Lewis, coleader of the 1803-1806 Lewis and Clark Expedition, was in Frankfort from Nov. 13-15, 1806. Party included Mandan Chief Sheheke and family and delegation of . . . — Map (db m62259) HM
Kentucky (Franklin County), Frankfort — 69 — Lexington & Ohio R.R.
Site of the first railroad west of the Alleghenies. Built 1833-1834. Flat iron rails were pinned to quarried limestone blocks. The twenty-three mile run between Lexington & Frankfort required four hours. — Map (db m84254) HM
Kentucky (Franklin County), Frankfort — 1653 — Liberty Hall / John Brown (1757-1837)
Liberty Hall A National Historic Landmark This Georgian mansion was begun 1796, by John Brown and named for Lexington, Virginia academy he attended. His wife Margaretta and Elizabeth Love began first Sunday School west of Alleghenies in . . . — Map (db m84387) HM
Kentucky (Franklin County), Frankfort — Locks and Dams
Kentucky River Lock and Dam Four are about half a mile north of Kentucky River View Park. They are part of a system of fourteen locks and dams built on the river between the 1830s and 1917. Both state and federal governments contributed to the . . . — Map (db m62267) HM
Kentucky (Franklin County), Frankfort — 1465 — Lt. Presley N. O'Bannon, USMC
First American to raise U.S. flag on foreign soil at Battle of Derne on shores of Tripoli, April 27, 1805. Led attack that overcame Barbary Coast pirates who were holding 180 American seamen for ransom. O'Bannon came to Logan County in 1807. Served . . . — Map (db m9753) HM
Kentucky (Franklin County), Frankfort — 1925 — Macklin House
This townhouse, built circa 1850, became home of George B. Macklin, prominent land owner and coal dealer. He came in 1867 from Forks of Elkhorn area. His coal yard near Louisville and Nashville Railroad yard bridge. Two-story brick carriage house at . . . — Map (db m84402) HM
Kentucky (Franklin County), Frankfort — 2031 — Melodye Park
(side 1) Louis Horwitz, a Frankfort resident for forty years, bought land on the Kentucky River in 1935 where he built an extensive park named after his daughter. The nine-acre park was always open to visitors at no charge. For years it was . . . — Map (db m62252) HM
Kentucky (Franklin County), Frankfort — 819 — Morehead House
Built by Mark Hardin, Registrar, Kentucky Land Office, in 1810. Before Civil War, home of six prominent Kentuckians; among whom were John Harvie, President, Bank of Kentucky, and, for 13 years, Charles S. Morehead, Governor (1855-59). Lawrence Tobin . . . — Map (db m84400) HM
Kentucky (Franklin County), Frankfort — 1779 — New Capitol
(side 1) Gov. J. C. W. Beckham promoted construction of New Capitol due to overcrowding and disrepair in Old Capitol. Federal funds for Civil and Spanish-American War claims paid half of $1,820,000 cost. In 1904, Frank M. Andrews selected . . . — Map (db m62251) HM
Kentucky (Franklin County), Frankfort — 1524 — Old State House
Kentucky's third capitol on this site was built in 1827-29 of Kentucky River marble. The two previous capitols were destroyed by fire. Gideon Shryock of Lexington, one of the state's most distinguished architects, designed the building which . . . — Map (db m100990) HM
Kentucky (Franklin County), Frankfort — 2204 — Paul Sawyier Boyhood Home112 East Broadway
(side 1) Boyhood home of Paul Sawyier, famous landscape watercolorist & portrait painter. He perfected atmospheric techniques painting Frankfort, Elkhorn Creek, & Ky. River. Also painted High Bridge & Camp Nelson in Jessamine Co., where he . . . — Map (db m62258) HM
Kentucky (Franklin County), Frankfort — 2293 — Paul Sawyier Library
(Front) Lilian Lindsey, who lived in the Vest-Lindsey House, founded the Frankfort Public Library. It opened on December 12, 1908, in the McClure Building, and was managed by the Frankfort Woman's Club until 1965. The library moved to the . . . — Map (db m84432) HM
Kentucky (Franklin County), Frankfort — 2192 — Ruth Hanly Booe 1891-1973
(Front) In 1919, friends Ruth Hanly and Rebecca Gooch left teaching to found Rebecca-Ruth Candy. Operating out of the barroom of the Frankfort Hotel, closed due to Prohibition, the two were successful entrepreneurs before women gained . . . — Map (db m84206) HM
Kentucky (Franklin County), Frankfort — 1182 — Site Of Love House
First meeting of the Legislature, after Frankfort made capital, held here, 1793, when owned by Andrew Holmes. Built about 1786 by General James Wilkinson. Purchased in 1797 by Major Thomas Love and wife. It was for years an inn and center of . . . — Map (db m85204) HM
Kentucky (Franklin County), Frankfort — 2025 — Site of Winnie A. Scott Hospital
The Women's Club Hospital Company, with community support, established a hospital here on December 26, 1915. It was named for Winnie A. Scott, a local teacher instrumental in its founding. The facility was the only Frankfort hospital serving African . . . — Map (db m84259) HM
Kentucky (Franklin County), Frankfort — 1490 — State Arsenal
Erected 1850 to replace Arsenal, on Old State House grounds, that burned in 1836. It was seized by Confederates in Sept., 1862, but recaptured by Union in Oct. Scene of a second skirmish, 1864. Fire destroyed building, 1933, but outer walls remained . . . — Map (db m62245) HM
Kentucky (Franklin County), Frankfort — 1537 — The Church of the Ascension
(side 1) In January 1836 the first Bishop of Kentucky, the Rt. Rev. Benjamin Bosworth Smith, received from the Church of Ascension on Canal Street in New York City, a "gift or loan" to found an Episcopal Church in Frankfort. The present . . . — Map (db m95983) HM
Kentucky (Franklin County), Frankfort — 2061 — The Frankfort Barracks
(side 1) The barracks, established in April 1871, and the command moved here in December of that year. Buildings were erected on Alexander Goldsmith Brawner's five acres known as Coleman's Spring lot. Post consisted of barracks, guardhouse, . . . — Map (db m62254) HM
Kentucky (Franklin County), Frankfort — 1208 — The Old Mansion
Home of thirty-three Governors during their terms of office and scene of elaborate political and social functions, 1797 to 1914. Thomas Metcalfe, who laid the stone foundation in 1797, later occupied the mansion as the tenth Kentucky Governor, . . . — Map (db m35850) HM
Kentucky (Franklin County), Frankfort — 595 — Upper Benson Church
The earliest Presbyterian Church in Franklin County was built in 1795 on a site one mile to the east; Organized by Thomas Paxton and located on land owned by him. Services held in it until 1848. Reverend Samuel Shannon was its first Minister. Mr. . . . — Map (db m84845) HM
Kentucky (Franklin County), Frankfort — 1743 — Vest-Lindsey House
Erected before 1820, this house is linked to several prominent men. It was childhood home of George Graham Vest, a famous orator, debater, and three-term senator from Missouri; member CSA Congress 3 years. Also home of Daniel W. Lindsey, who, during . . . — Map (db m84460) HM
Kentucky (Franklin County), Frankfort — Welcome to Kentucky's Capitol and Capital
(panel A) Welcome to Kentucky's Capitol The Kentucky Capitol Building and Capital Frankfort - Kentucky's Capital City (panel B) Welcome to Kentucky's Capitol Construction of the Capitol began in . . . — Map (db m62274) HM

68 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement