Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Historical Markers in Mississippi

2066 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 201 through 401 are listed. Previous 200 Next 1666
 
Confederate Monument Park image, Touch for more information
February 12, 2016
Confederate Monument Park
Mississippi (Amite County), Liberty — Battle Of Liberty
On November 16, 1864, Union cavalry under Col. Benjamin Marsh captured a small Confederate force at Liberty. Marsh had hoped to capture Brig. Gen. George Hodge, but he escaped. The next day, Brig. Gen. Albert Lee reinforced the Federals with 1,700 . . . — Map (db m92730) HM
Mississippi (Amite County), Liberty — Confederate Monument
Erected on land donated in 1868 by the Liberty Masonic Lodge, this Confederate monument was designed and built by A.J. Lewis. The shaft is inscribed with the names of 279 Amite County Confederate soldiers who died during the Civil War. Dedicated in . . . — Map (db m92709) HM
Mississippi (Amite County), Liberty — Herbert Lee
Herbert Lee, a 42-year-old dairy farmer in the Amite County area, became a member of the NAACP in the early 1950s. In the fall of 1961, Lee began transporting voting rights activists within the Pike and Amite County area. On September 25, 1961, . . . — Map (db m92564) HM
Mississippi (Amite County), Liberty — 7 — Jerry Clower
(Side A) A Liberty native, Jerry Clower (1926-1998) brought his colorful, observant, comic stories of southern life — developed as a sales tool as he worked as a fertilizer salesman — to live shows, recordings, television, . . . — Map (db m92559) HM
Mississippi (Amite County), Liberty — John H. Nunnery
Across the road is site of home built in 1836 by John H. Nunnery, early settler of Amite County. He had eight sons in Civil War, one in Sp.~Am. War. New Zion Baptist Church was organized here, Oct. 4, 1881. — Map (db m137969) HM
Mississippi (Amite County), Liberty — Liberty
Founded 1809 and chartered 1828. Site of first Confederate monument in state, 1871. Here Gail Borden conducted condensed milk experiments. Dr. Tichenor's antiseptic was also originated here. — Map (db m92616) HM
Mississippi (Amite County), Liberty — Liberty Missionary Baptist Church
Founded as the Liberty Colored Church in March 1870 after fifteen black members requested letters of dismissal from Liberty Baptist Church to organize their own congregation. Under the leadership of their first pastor, Rev. Fred Stirling, these . . . — Map (db m92617) HM
Mississippi (Amite County), Liberty — Old Natchez District
Ceded by Choctaws & Chickasaws in Fort Adams Treaty, 1801, confirming earlier British treaty. Contained most of present Warren, Jefferson, Claiborne, Adams, Franklin, Wilkinson & Amite counties. — Map (db m92556) HM
Mississippi (Attala County), French Camp — Bethel Mission
About half a mile northwesterly, Bethel, meaning “House of God” was opened in 1822 as one of thirteen Choctaw mission stations. Indians, slaves, and other men “labored hard during four weeks ... frequently till 10 o’clock at night, . . . — Map (db m87479) HM
Mississippi (Attala County), French Camp — Cole Creek
Forests are fascinating places – whole new worlds unfold to anyone who takes time to explore them.      Across Cole Creek you will find a typical mixed hardwood forest. Here you can discover for yourself the many marvels in a bottomland . . . — Map (db m87477)
Mississippi (Attala County), Kosciusko — Attala County
Founded 1833; named after Chateaubriand's Indian heroine. Buried in county are 1st senator, Gordon Boyd, and 1st representative, Wm. Dodd, who named the county seat after Thaddeus Kosciusko. — Map (db m140800) HM
Mississippi (Attala County), Kosciusko — 70 — Charlie Musselwhite
(side 1) World-renowned harmonica virtuoso Charlie Musselwhite was born in Kosciusko on January 31, 1944. His great uncle, Lamar Coalson, once owned the store that occupied this site. Musselwhite began playing in Memphis and rose to . . . — Map (db m130064) HM
Mississippi (Attala County), Kosciusko — Hurricane Creek
Plants need water as much as men need money. Some are satisfied with little; some cannot flourish unless they have a lot; the majority can live contentedly with medium amounts.      From here, a trail descends to the vegetation that thrives in the . . . — Map (db m87476)
Mississippi (Attala County), Kosciusko — Kosciusko
"Redbud Springs" in Indian days. Later named for Polish-American patriot. Chartered, 1836. On Natchez Trace near geographical center of state. Trade activity gave it title, "Beehive of the Hills." — Map (db m140798) HM
Mississippi (Attala County), Kosciusko — MFWC Birthplace
The Mississippi Federation of Women’s Clubs was founded here on May 25, 1898. Organized by Mrs. Fannie Clark Coleman of Kosciusko, charter clubs included Clarksdale, Jackson, Verona, Sallis, Okolona, Vicksburg, and Meridian. Mrs. D.N. Hebron was . . . — Map (db m72683) HM
Mississippi (Attala County), Sallis — New Hope Lutheran Church
South 4 mi. Founded, 1846. Here, July 22, 1855, first Mississippi Lutheran Synod was organized. The Rev. G.H. Brown, pastor, served as first Synod president. — Map (db m140802) HM
Mississippi (Benton County), Michigan City — Mississippi Central R.R. Campaign
On October 14, 1862, Confederate Gen. John Pemberton assumed command in Mississippi and east Louisiana. Eleven days later, Gen. Ulysses Grant became commander of Union forces in the region. Over the next 8½ months, their forces fought for . . . — Map (db m84782) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Cleveland — 9 — Amzie Moore — Mississippi Freedom Trail —
Front Returning home from WWII, Cleveland businessman Amzie Moore (1911-1982) became a principal architect of early civil rights activism as a founding member of the Mississippi NAACP and the Regional Council of Negro Leadership. . . . — Map (db m90128) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Cleveland — Amzie Moore Home
Amzie Moore (1911-1982), a local Civil Rights leader, built this house in 1941. An army veteran, Moore also worked for the U.S. Postal Service. After returning from WWII, Moore dedicated himself to the civil rights movement, co-founding the . . . — Map (db m90074) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Cleveland — Bolivar County Confederate MonumentC.S.A.
Front (East) To the memory of our Confederate Dead. 1861-65. Dead upon the field of glory Hero fit for song and story. Rear (West) Bolivar County's tribute to southern heroism. No nation . . . — Map (db m90270) WM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Cleveland — Bolivar County Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to the memory of those veterans who made the supreme sacrifice in the World Wars. — Map (db m90465) WM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Cleveland — Cleveland
Named for President Grover Cleveland. Founded along Jones Bayou and Yazoo and Mississippi Valley R.R. in 1886. Downtown historic area listed in National Register of Historic Places in 1999. — Map (db m90069) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Cleveland — David R. Bowen
A Cleveland High School graduate, Bowen (D-Miss.) served five terms in Congress (1973-1983). As chair of the Cotton, Rice, and Sugar Subcommittee and a member of the House Agriculture, Foreign Affairs, and Merchant Marine and Fisheries Committees, . . . — Map (db m89935) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Cleveland — Delta Blues Inspires W.C. Handy
While leading his orchestra at a dance on this site c. 1905, Handy was unable to perform requested blues numbers. A local band stepped in and stole the show. "My enlightenment came in Cleveland. That night an American composer was born," he . . . — Map (db m89932) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Cleveland — Hill Demonstration School
In 1926 the Hill Demonstration School opened for grades one through six, with kindergarten classes added in 1929. This laboratory-style school for Delta State student teachers had an initial enrollment of twenty-five and was housed in the basement . . . — Map (db m90127) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Cleveland — Margaret Wade
Lily Margaret Wade (1912-1995) was a standout on Cleveland High School’s girls basketball team and Delta State’s women’s basketball team. Compiling a CHS coaching record of 453-89-6, she began coaching the Lady Statesmen in 1973, winning the AIAW . . . — Map (db m90125) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Cleveland — The Cleveland Chinese Mission School
Founded in 1937 by parents, Cleveland First Baptist Church, and community leaders to provide an education for children of Chinese descent who were excluded from area schools by the 1927 US Supreme Court decision, Gong Lum v. Rice. Students . . . — Map (db m90066) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Cleveland — The Cleveland Depot
Four railroad depots have operated here since Cleveland was incorporated in 1886. The first depot—two Yazoo & Mississippi Valley RR cars tied together and parked on a side track—disappeared when a prankster hooked it to an outgoing . . . — Map (db m89937) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Cleveland — 173 — The Enlightenment of W. C. Handy
Front In W.C. Handy's famous account of his "enlightenment" in Cleveland, a ragged local trio was showered with coins after Handy's orchestra of trained musicians had been unable to similarly excite the crowd. In early manuscripts of . . . — Map (db m90071) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Cleveland — The Marshall Plan
A plan for relief of postwar Europe, suggested by Mississippi native Will Clayton, was first announced here May 8, 1947, by Under Secretary of State Dean Acheson at a meeting of the Delta Council. — Map (db m90126) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Mound Bayou — AKA Mobile Health Project
From 1935 to 1942, Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority established mobile health clinics to provide medical care to black people in the Delta. Dr. Dorothy Ferebee, a member of the sorority, was the project's director. Primarily based in Mound Bayou, the . . . — Map (db m89762) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Mound Bayou — AKA Mobile Health Project
Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. sponsored its first mobile health initiative, the Mississippi Health Project from 1935 - 1942. Dr. Dorothy Ferebee, a member of the sorority, was the project director. Ida Jackson was the . . . — Map (db m90149) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Mound Bayou — Delta Health Center1967
First rural community health center in the United States Opened by Tufts University as Tufts Delta Health Center Third health care facility in Mound Bayou Serves as a much needed health resource for the poor and . . . — Map (db m90509) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Mound Bayou — Friendship Clinic1948
United Order of Friendship of America opened Friendship Clinic under the leadership of Dr. T. R. M. Howard Second medical facility in Mound Bayou Renamed Sarah Brown Hospital Renamed Mound Bayou Community Hospital . . . — Map (db m90501) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Mound Bayou — Mound Bayou
Largest U.S. Negro town; settled July 12, 1887 by ex-slaves of Joe Davis, who conceived idea before Civil War: Isaiah T. Montgomery (member of 1890 state convention) & his cousin, Benjamin T. Green. — Map (db m89761) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Mound Bayou — 161 — Mound Bayou Blues
Front Music has been one of the many facets of African American culture proudly nurtured by the community of Mound Bayou, ranging from blues and R&B in cafes, lounges, and juke joints to musical programs in schools, studios, and . . . — Map (db m90065) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Mound Bayou — Newton (Keys) Hotel Site
First hotel built in the Village of Mound Bayou "In the matter of sanitary surroundings, in the way of rooming arrangements, and culinary excellence with the matter of dining, the service at the Newton Hotel will satisfy the mostly . . . — Map (db m90470) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Mound Bayou — Site of Mound Bayou Oil Mill & Manufacturing Company(Cottonseed Oil) — 1912 —
Organized by Charles Bank Building dedication led by Booker T. Washington More than 15,000 attended dedicatory event Constructing Architect: Thomas W. Cook Construction Foreman: W. H. Cook — Map (db m90504) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Mound Bayou — 8 — T. R. M. Howard — Mississippi Freedom Trail —
Front Mound Bayou businessman and physician Theodore Roosevelt Mason Howard (1908-1976) founded and led Mississippi's pre-eminent civil rights organization in the 1950s, the Regional Council of Negro Leadership. A charismatic speaker . . . — Map (db m90148) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Mound Bayou — Taborian Hospital1942
International Order of Twelve Knights and Daughters of Tabor, Inc. opened Taborian Hospital under the leadership of P. M. Smith Second oldest hospital for Blacks in Mississippi First hospital in Mound Bayou Placed on the . . . — Map (db m90467) HM
Mississippi (Calhoun County), Bruce — 194 — Calhoun County Blues
Front The musical heritage of Calhoun County was illuminated in 2014 via international acclaim for longtime Bruce resident and Sabougla native Leo “Bud” Welch, The guitarist and vocalist began playing blues in his teens and . . . — Map (db m107618) HM
Mississippi (Calhoun County), Bruce — Calhoun County War Memorial
Dedicated to the memory of all citizens of Calhoun County Mississippi who gave their lives in the service of our country ________ World War I World War II Korean Conflict Vietnam Era ________ 1917 — . . . — Map (db m108753) WM
Mississippi (Calhoun County), Calhoun City — Calhoun County Veterans Monument
Dedicated to the citizens of Calhoun County who served our country in peacetime and war with honor — Map (db m108752) HM
Mississippi (Calhoun County), Calhoun City — Thomas T. Gore
First settler in what is now Calhoun City. Born 1776. Left S. Carolina in 1817 for Alabama. Came to Mississippi in 1840. Pioneer, politician, patriot, planter. Died October 20, 1855. Buried on old homesite ½ mi. NW. — Map (db m107543) HM
Mississippi (Carroll County), Coila — Sgt. John A. PittmanMedal of Honor
The Medal of Honor is the highest award for valor in action against an enemy force which can be bestowed upon an individual serving in the Armed Services of the United States of America. Sgt. Pittman earned this medal by his actions in Korea on 26 . . . — Map (db m62805) WM
Mississippi (Chickasaw County), Egypt — Egypt Station
During a raid in the winter of 1864-65, Union Brig. Gen. Benjamin Grierson's cavalry encountered Confederates at Egypt Station on the Mobile & Ohio R.R. The Confederate force included a large number of former Union prisoners of war released on . . . — Map (db m107541) HM
Mississippi (Chickasaw County), Houston — Bynum Mounds
(Marker #1) Prehistoric Trade Raw materials and articles from distant areas reached the Indians of the Bynum site by trade along trails that were the forerunners of the Natchez Trace.
  • Spool-shaped objects made of . . . — Map (db m84830) HM
Mississippi (Chickasaw County), Houston — Carnegie Library
Estab. in 1909, this is one of Mississippi's oldest community libraries and its first Carnegie library. School superintendent L.B. Reid secured money from Andrew Carnegie Foundation for this facility. — Map (db m107610) HM
Mississippi (Chickasaw County), Houston — Chickasaw County CSA Monument
(Front Side) Dedicated to the men of Chickasaw County who served in the War for Southern Independence 1861 - 1865 (Back Side) Infantry 2nd Miss. Regiment, Co. G 6th Miss. Regiment, Co. F 9th Miss. Regiment, . . . — Map (db m97568) WM
Mississippi (Chickasaw County), Houston — Chickasaw County Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to the citizens of Chickasaw County who served our country in peacetime and war with honor Dedicated to the memory of all boys of Chickasaw County who gave their lives in service to their country World War I John . . . — Map (db m97569) WM
Mississippi (Chickasaw County), Houston — Houston
On Natchez Trace. Named for Sam Houston, friend of Joel Pinson, donor of site. Made county seat at creation of Chickasaw Co., Feb. 9, 1836. In 1909 state's first Carnegie library built here. — Map (db m107556) HM
Mississippi (Chickasaw County), Houston — Natchez Trace Through Chickasaw County
This monument marks the Natchez Trace through Chickasaw County. By the Treaty of Pontotoc in 1832, the Chickasaw Indians ceded to the United States their lands east of the Mississippi. In 1801-1802 the old Indian trail was converted into a wagon . . . — Map (db m97567) HM
Mississippi (Chickasaw County), Houston — Pinson SquareJoel Pinson — 1786 - 1852 —
Erected in 1982 in honor of Joel Pinson who donated 80 acres original survey for the town of Houston in 1836. He requested it be named for his friend, Sam Houston, previous governor of Tennessee and only president of Republic of Texas. — Map (db m97570) HM
Mississippi (Chickasaw County), New Houlka — Archaeology at Owl Creek MoundsEarly Archaeology - Mound II
The first archaeological work at Owl Creek Mounds was supervised by Moreau Chambers in August, 1935. He was employed by the Mississippi Department of Archives and History and assisted by Slater Gordon. E.T. Winston, a Pontotoc journalist and local . . . — Map (db m84697) HM
Mississippi (Chickasaw County), New Houlka — Archaeology at Owl Creek MoundsModern-Day Archaeology - Mound I
In the summers of 1991 and 1992, archaeology field schools from Mississippi State University worked to learn more about the site. Most of the excavations were done on top of Mounds I and II, with small test units dug into Mounds III, IV, and V. . . . — Map (db m84698) HM
Mississippi (Chickasaw County), New Houlka — Archaeology Determines the Age of Owl Creek Mounds
Owl Creek Mounds were built between 800 and 900 years ago and were used for only about 100 years. This was determined by the dating of charcoal samples collected at the site and by studying the artifacts and type of building remains found in the . . . — Map (db m84699) HM
Mississippi (Chickasaw County), New Houlka — De Soto's ExpeditionWas Owl Creek the Town of Chicasa?
Hernando De Soto landed in Florida at Tampa Bay in May, 1539. His army numbered around 800 Spaniards including two women. He also had 240 horses and several pigs. The expedition traveled through the Southeast to Texas and returned to the Mississippi . . . — Map (db m84690) HM
Mississippi (Chickasaw County), New Houlka — Owl Creek MoundsA Ceremonial Site and Its Surrounding Area
The first humans came to North America by crossing the Bering Strait land bridge, which connected Siberia and Alaska. Their descendants arrived in this part of Mississippi nearly 12,000 years ago. The oldest mounds in the state were built by people . . . — Map (db m84696) HM
Mississippi (Chickasaw County), Okolona — Battle of Okolona
In this vicinity on February 22, 1864, Benjamin Grierson ordered McCrillis' Federal brigade into a line of battle opposite Col. Barteau's Confederate brigade of Forrest's cavalry corps. Barteau's men, from the ridge east of the railroad, advanced as . . . — Map (db m102742) HM
Mississippi (Chickasaw County), Okolona — Battle of Okolona
On February 22, 1864, Col. Jeffrey Forrest, commanding a Confederate cavalry brigade, was killed in action in this vicinity, near the extinct town of Prairie Mount. Born in 1838, Forrest was the younger brother of Lt. Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest, . . . — Map (db m102744) HM
Mississippi (Chickasaw County), Okolona — Chickasaw County Confederate Tribute1861—1865
Chickasaw County's tribute to the sons who wore the gray and were faithful to the cause. Erected under auspices of Okolona Chapter U.D.C. No. 117. — Map (db m102750) WM
Mississippi (Chickasaw County), Okolona — Confederate Cemetery
As a station on the Mobile and Ohio Railroad, Okolona was the site of a large hospital during the Civil War. In 1862, following the battle of Shiloh, hundreds of wounded Confederates were brought here by train. Those who died were buried in this . . . — Map (db m102747) HM
Mississippi (Chickasaw County), Okolona — Okolona
Founded as Rose Hill 1845. Chartered as Okolona 1850. Named for Chickasaw Indian brave. Scene for three Civil War battles. First Mississippi Cavalry, C.S.A., was organized and equipped here. — Map (db m102748) HM
Mississippi (Chickasaw County), Okolona — Okolona
Founded as Rose Hill 1845. Chartered as Okolona 1850. Named for Chickasaw Indian brave. Scene for three Civil War battles. First Mississippi Cavalry, C.S.A., was organized and equipped here. — Map (db m102749) HM
Mississippi (Chickasaw County), Okolona — Okolona College
The Okolona Normal and Industrial School was founded in 1902 by Dr. Wallace A. Battle. It educated African Americans through high school and provided industrial training for young adults. At its peak, the school's enrollment topped two hundred . . . — Map (db m102740) HM
Mississippi (Chickasaw County), Okolona — Okolona in the Civil War
Throughout the Civil War, Confederate forces were stationed in Okolona, taking advantage of the agriculturally rich prairie region. With a large supply depot, the town was the object of Union Raids at least twice. On February 22, 1864, Maj. Gen. . . . — Map (db m102746) HM
Mississippi (Chickasaw County), Okolona — Our Confederate Dead Soldiers' Monument
Front Love's tribute to a thousand Southern soldiers who sleep in our Confederate cemetery, who died in the war 1861—1865. Right Side List of Dead Rear List of . . . — Map (db m102936) WM
Mississippi (Chickasaw County), Woodland — Old Trace
Preserved here is a portion of a nearly 200-year old road – the Old Natchez Trace. Maintaining this 500-mile long wilderness road in the early 1800's was a difficult if not hopeless task.      As you look down the sunken trench note the . . . — Map (db m84832) HM
Mississippi (Choctaw County), Ackerman — Ackerman
Chartered February 16, 1884, upon the arrival of the Canton, Aberdeen, & Nashville Railroad, and named for the company's president, William K. Ackerman. Since 1896 County Seat of Choctaw County. — Map (db m51200) HM
Mississippi (Choctaw County), Ackerman — Choctaw County High School
First established as the Ackerman Colored School in the late 1920s, this school was part of the county board of education's plan to consolidate nearly thirty smaller community-based schools from 1931 to 1958. The school's name was changed to the . . . — Map (db m140791) HM
Mississippi (Choctaw County), Ackerman — Coleman's Mill
On Yockanookany, 1/2 mi. S., was built in 1836 water mill of W.R. Coleman of Fairfield Co. S.C., first white settler after Choctaw cession in Treaty of Dancing Rabbit Creek. — Map (db m51198) HM
Mississippi (Choctaw County), Ackerman — Governor J.P. Coleman
James Plemon "J.P." Coleman was born in 1914 in Ackerman. A graduate of George Washington University, he served as district attorney for the Fifth Judicial District from 1940 to 1946 and as a judge from 1947 to 1950. Coleman served as a Mississippi . . . — Map (db m140790) HM
Mississippi (Choctaw County), Ackerman — Governor Ray Mabus
A fourth generation Choctaw countian, Ray Mabus grew up in Ackerman. In 1987 he was elected governor, the youngest in more than 150 years. Appointed Secretary of the Navy in 2009, he served until 2017, the longest tenure since WWI and the third . . . — Map (db m140788) HM
Mississippi (Choctaw County), Ackerman — 28 — Hoyt Ming
[Front] Choctaw County fiddler Hoyt Ming (1902-1985) led the lively string band recorded as “Floyd Ming & His Pep Steppers” at a Memphis Victor session in 1928. His “Indian War Whoop,” with its fiddling . . . — Map (db m140731) HM
Mississippi (Choctaw County), Ackerman — Jeff Busby Park
On February 15, 1934, while serving as U.S. Congressman from Mississippi, Thomas Jefferson Busby (1884-1964) introduced a bill authorizing a survey of the Old Natchez Trace. Four years later the historic road was designated a unit of the National . . . — Map (db m87481) HM
Mississippi (Choctaw County), Ackerman — Shiloh Methodist Church and Cemetery
Established ca. 1836, Shiloh Methodist Church was disbanded by 1875. Remaining members joined other churches in area, including Mt. Airy, Chestnut Grove, and Bethel. Frederick and Margaret Crawford Bagwell, early settlers of Choctaw County are . . . — Map (db m140785) HM
Mississippi (Choctaw County), Ackerman — The Great Eastern Hardwood Forest
(Marker #1) The Great Eastern Hardwood Forest Before Columbus, the world of the eastern Indian was one of a vast continuous forest stretching from Canada to the Gulf coast. A mature forest, it changed little over the centuries, and . . . — Map (db m87480) HM
Mississippi (Choctaw County), Ackerman — 139 — Two Steps From The Blues
"Two Steps From the Blues" might refer to Choctaw County's location, a bit off the path from the well-known blues highways and byways of Mississippi, but it is also the title of a classic blues song written by a native of Ackerman, "Texas" Johnny . . . — Map (db m51199) HM
Mississippi (Choctaw County), French Camp — Col. James Drane
President pro tem of the state Senate, 1857-65. Defeated by W. McWillie in governor’s race, 1857. Delegate to Charleston Dem. Convention, 1860. Son and grandson of Rev. soldiers. House moved here, 1981, and restored. — Map (db m87486) HM
Mississippi (Choctaw County), French Camp — French Camp
Louis Leflore first traded with the Choctaw Indians at a bluff now part of Jackson Mississippi. About 1812 he established his stand 900 feet to the northeast on the Natchez Trace.      Because of the storekeepers nationality, the area was often . . . — Map (db m87485) HM
Mississippi (Choctaw County), French Camp — Natchez Trace at French Camp
This memorial marks a stage on the “Natchez Trace.” The first highway opened through the lower South, by the Treaty of Dancing Rabbit Creek in 1830, between the American government and the Choctaw Indians. The surrounding country became . . . — Map (db m87495) HM
Mississippi (Choctaw County), Mathiston — Pigeon Roost
Pigeon Roost Creek, to your left, is a reminder of the millions of migrating passenger pigeons that once roosted in trees in this area. The species has been completely destroyed.      One mile east where the Natchez Trace crossed the creek, . . . — Map (db m87484) HM
Mississippi (Choctaw County), Mathiston — The Old Natchez Trace
In the early 1800's many thoughtful Americans believed that isolation and the difficulties of communication would force the Mississippi Valley settlements to form a separate nation. Hoping to hold the frontier, Congress in 1800 established a post . . . — Map (db m87483) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Bruinsburg — Battle of Port Gibson – Grant’s MarchWindsor Battlefield Tour
The Battle of Port Gibson was one of the turning points of the War between the States, since this defeat of the Confederates led to the capture of Vicksburg. This strategic battle was fought eight miles west of Bethel Church on May 1, 1863. When . . . — Map (db m105841) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Bruinsburg — Battle of Port Gibson – The BattleWindsor Battlefield Tour
Confederate General Martin Green had posted his brigade near magnolia church with at outpost at the A.K. Shaifer House. Shortly after midnight, Green rode forward to check on his pickets. The General found Mrs. Shaffer and the ladies frantically . . . — Map (db m105844) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Bruinsburg — Bethel Churchc. 1845. Greek Revival. — Windsor Battlefield Tour —
The original congregation of the Bethel Presbyterian Church organized in 1826 under the direction of Dr. Jeremiah Chamberlain, constructed this building in the mid 1840s. On the interior, ornamentation is completely lacking. The use of pilasters on . . . — Map (db m105784) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Bruinsburg — Canemount PlantationCa. 1855. Italianate Revival — Windsor Battlefield Tour —
This house is considered the finest example of the Italianate Revival influence in Claiborne County. The house is located on the site of an earlier house built about 1826. — Map (db m105845) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — Bombardment of Confederate Fortifications by Federal GunboatsFort Gibson Historic Tour
The river on April 29, 1863, was at flood stage and falling. It was overflowing its banks from the bluffs on the east to high ground beyond the flood pain to the west. The river bend upstream just above the "Point of Rocks" force the current of the . . . — Map (db m105714) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — Confederate Memorial ChapelGrand Gulf Historic Tour
The building was donated to the State of Mississippi by the Rodney Foundation. It was moved to this site in 1983, and has been restored to its original condition. It will be used as a non-denominational chapel by religious and other groups approved . . . — Map (db m104099) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — Confederate Rifle Pits — Battle of Grand Gulf —
During the April 29, 1863 bom- bardment of Grand Gulf these rifle pits and the "covered way" which linked Fort Wade and Fort Cobun were held by the 3rd Missouri (Confederate). — Map (db m104338) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — Confederate Rifle Pits — Battle of Grand Gulf —
During the April 29, 1863, bombardment of Grand Gulf, these rifle pits were held by the 6th Missouri (Confederate). — Map (db m104293) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — First Grand Gulf Naval BattleGrand Gulf Historic Tour
In May 1862, cannoneers of Brookhaven Light Artillery, commanded by Captain James Hoskins, reached Grand Gulf. Hoskins had gunners emplace and mask four 6-pounders on bluffs behind the village. The task was to harass the Federals fleet commanded by . . . — Map (db m103932) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — Fort Cobun
On a ledge 40 feet above the Mississippi, the Confederates in March, 1863 , laid out Fort Cobun. Protected by a parapet nearly 40 feet thick were four big guns manned by Company A, 1st Louisiana Heavy Artillery. The guns of Fort Cobun under command . . . — Map (db m105777) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — Fort Wade
On a shelf overlooking the charred ruins of Grand Gulf the Confederate engineers built Fort Wade. Guibor's and Wade's Missouri Batteries manned its four big guns. When Admiral David G. Farragut's squadron passed Grand Gulf on March 31, the guns of . . . — Map (db m104093) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — Fort Wade Ammunition Magazine
Destroyed by the Confederates on the morning of May 3, 1863 when Grand Gulf could no longer be held against the Federal army approaching from Port Gibson, the large sections of iron grate are the remains of the town's jail which was moved into the . . . — Map (db m104094) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — Grand Gulf
The town of Grand Gulf was burned by Admiral David Farragut's men in 1862 and occupied by Porter's Mississippi Squadron on May 3, 1863. The Union occupation followed Confederate Brig. Gen. John Bowen's evacuation of the town after the Battle of Port . . . — Map (db m105718) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — Grand Gulf Military ParkGrand Gulf Historic Tour
In 1958 the Mississippi Legislature created the Grand Gulf Military Monument Commission to purchase 1and and develop the Grand Gulf site. The Grand Gulf Military State Park opened in May, 1962. Dedication ceremonies were held April 7, 1968. On its . . . — Map (db m103924) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — Gun Emplacement — Grand Gulf Historic Tour —
To guard against a Union attack in their rear, the Confederates threw up this work. Note the embrasures for four field guns and the ditch fronting the parapet. — Map (db m104296) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — Gun Emplacement — Grand Gulf Historic Tour —
To guard against a Union attack in their rear, the Confederates threw up this work. Note the embrasures for four field guns and the ditch fronting the parapet. — Map (db m104301) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — Naval Battle During Grant’s CampaignGrand Gulf Historic Tour
War returned in March, 1863. Fearful that Major General Grant’s army might bypass Vicksburg, Lieutenant General J. C. Pemberton ordered Brigadier General John Bowen to move his troops to Grand Gulf. During the next several weeks, Bowen’s troops . . . — Map (db m105776) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — On to Vicksburg
After crossing the Mississippi River and fighting the battle of Port Gibson April 30 - May 1, 1863, Gen. U.S. Grant moved to capture Grand Gulf as a base of operations against Port Hudson, Louisiana. Capturing Grand Gulf on May 3, Grant learned that . . . — Map (db m105723) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — Paddle Wheel of the Confederate Transport CharmGrand Gulf Historic Tour
The paddle wheel, frame, and part of the pump came from the wreck of the Confederate Transport Charm in the Big Black River. The Charm, a 223-ton sidewheeler, was built in Cincinnati, Ohio in 1860. She was converted from a Yazoo River packet to . . . — Map (db m105715) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — Point of Rock
In 1863 Point of Rock jutted far above the swirling waters of the Mississippi. Before the Civil War there was a large house with extensive gardens on top of Point of Rock. Before Brigadier General John S. Bowen’s troops were ordered to Grand Gulf in . . . — Map (db m105779) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — Rodney Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church1868 - 1870 — Windsor Battlefield Tour —
Listed in National Register of Historic Places, the church building was constructed in 1868, as the once flourishing river town was declining. Church completion was in the year preceding the disastrous 1869 fire. Although there is no recorded . . . — Map (db m104103) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — Rodney Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church1890 - 1957 — Windsor Battlefield Tour —
During 1890, the priest's house was constructed and the mission received a Christmas gift from the Society at Brussels for "Poor Churches" as one of the most destitute churches of the diocese. This gift probably contained the vestments and altar . . . — Map (db m104105) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — Scotia — Port Gibson Historic Tour —
Built by Thomas Foster as a one room log house in 1768 in the community of Scotia, located 5 miles south of the present town of Roxie in Franklin County, Mississippi. About 1789 a "dog trot" was added to connect a second room. The upstairs was added . . . — Map (db m104291) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — Second Grand Gulf Naval BattleGrand Gulf Historic Tour
In April, 1863 Major General Ulysses Grant decide to alter his Vicksburg strategy by moving his troops down the Mississippi River. On April 29, 1863 the Federals launched a determined assault on Grand Gulf. The Confederates made a rigorous reply to . . . — Map (db m103933) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — Site of Hot Shot Furnace
When General John S. Bowen’s troops moved to Grand Gulf in March 1863, they had to cope with the ocean-going warships of Admiral David G. Farragut. Knowing that these ships were made of wood, the Confederates determined to use hot shot against them. . . . — Map (db m105781) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — Supporting Battery — Grand Gulf Historic Tour —
. . . — Map (db m104289) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — Supporting Battery — Grand Gulf Historic Tour —
. . . — Map (db m104300) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — The Buildup for WarGrand Gulf Historic Tour
By the use of flying batteries, the Confederates were so mobile that the Union troops had much difficulty in stopping fortification of bluffs behind Grand Gulf. Harassment forced Commodore David Farragut to convoy the unarmed ships. In March, 1863, . . . — Map (db m103925) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — The Spanish House — Port Gibson Historic Tour —
This house was built in the late 1790's of cypress, poplar and heart pine and put together with wooden pegs instead of nails. The Spanish built structure represents one of several homesteads erected by five different groups of "Conquerors" who . . . — Map (db m103935) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — This XIII-inch Mortar — Grand Gulf Historic Tour —
This XIII-inch Mortar was probably used by the Union in the fight for Vicksburg. In the early 1900's it was seen partially buried in the levee on Davis Island. These mortars were mounted on schooners or box-like boats. . . . — Map (db m104294) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — Town of Grand GulfGrand Gulf Historic Tour
The town of Grand Gulf began in the 18th century as a small British settlement. By 1828 it had grown to a village of three stores, one tavern, and several houses. There was a stage line to Port Gibson and steamboats stopped at its wharves. . . . — Map (db m105720) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — Victories and Defeats - The Cost of WarGrand Gulf Historic Tour
Despite the estimated more than 2,500 heavy projectiles fired into the Confederate forts, there was little damage. The Confederates suffered three dead, including Colonel Wade, and eighteen wounded. Union losses totaled nineteen dead and fifty-seven . . . — Map (db m103929) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — War Comes to Grand GulfGrand Gulf Historic Tour
No town in Mississippi felt the sting of the Civil War worse than did Grand Gulf. In the spring of 1862, Commodore David Farragut sent his powerful ocean-going squadron up the Mississippi River. Baton Rouge and Natchez fell, but Vicksburg refused to . . . — Map (db m103928) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — Water Wheel — Port Gibson Historic Tour —
This water wheel was originally built for Mr. and Mrs. J. L. Peacock of Mendenhall Ms., in 1948 and was donated by them to this park in 1971.   The wheel was built for the purpose of generating electricity by water power that operated a Delco . . . — Map (db m104095) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — Whirlpool
Grand Gulf was named for the large whirlpool or gulf formed by the current of the Mississippi River being diverted to the left by the rocky headland called Point of Rock. At the time of the Civil War, the Big Black discharged into the Mississippi at . . . — Map (db m105782) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Hermanville — 7 — Federals Occupy Rocky Springs
After U.S. Grant had planned much of his campaign at Mrs. Bagnell’s, four miles west, he arrived at Rocky Springs on May 7. He remained until May 10, allowing the XV Corps to cross the Mississippi and rejoin the army. McClernand’s XIII Corps arrived . . . — Map (db m87358) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Hermanville — Rocky Springs
The once active spring provided a natural stopping place for travelers on the Natchez Trace and helped establish and sustain the rural community of Rocky Springs. The 25 square mile town, which included a post rider relay station prospered for . . . — Map (db m97265) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Hermanville — The Old Natchez Trace
This is the Natchez Trace. For many years it served man well, but as with many things when its usefulness passed, it was abandoned. Over the years, this time-worn path has been a silent witness to honor and dishonor. It bears the prints of . . . — Map (db m87357) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Hermanville — The Town of Rocky Springs
At the end of this trail is evidence of a once thriving rural community. First settled in the late 1790's, the town grew from a watering place along the Natchez Trace, and took its name from the source of that water -- the Rocky Spring. In 1860, a . . . — Map (db m80147) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Lorman — Alcorn Agricultural And Mechanical College
Established May 13, 1871, as Alcorn Univ. of Miss on site of Oakland College. Hiram Revels, first president. Reorganized 1878 as Alcorn A. & M. Oldest land-grant college for Negroes in the United States. — Map (db m117954) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Lorman — Alcorn State University (1871)Windsor Battlefield Tour
Oakland College managed to continue operation until 1861. In 1871 the buildings were purchased for $42,500 by the State in order that a school might be established for blacks. Oakland College reorganized as Chamberlain-Hunt Academy and relocated to . . . — Map (db m119853) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Lorman — Belles Lettres BuildingWindsor Battlefield Tour
Ca. 1851. Neoclassic Revival. The origin of this structure is uncertain. It is generally assumed to be one of two buildings completed in 1851 for use by a campus literary society. Its architecture is more properly called Neoclassic Revival. It does . . . — Map (db m117988) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Lorman — Oakland CollegeWindsor Battlefield Tour
1830 - Oakland College was founded by Dr. Jeremiah Chamberlain. Chamberlain envisioned Oakland as serving the 300,000 inhabitants of Mississippi. Louisiana, and Arkansas. Representatives of three Louisiana parishes and eight Mississippi counties . . . — Map (db m119854) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Lorman — Oakland Memorial ChapelWindsor Battlefield Tour
Construction on Oakland Memorial Chapel was begun in 1840 by Dr. Jeremiah Chamberlain, the college's founder and president. It was completed in 1851, two years after the death of Dr. Chamberlain. While this structure was consistently referred to as . . . — Map (db m118257) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Lorman — Old Port Gibson to Rodney RoadWindsor Battlefield Tour
This road is the first established route from Port Gibson and Alcorn to Rodney, and was constructed in the early nineteenth century. Composed of loess soil, the old roadbed and roadside bluffs for the next 2.4 miles remain today much as they were . . . — Map (db m117987) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Lorman — The ChapelWindsor Battlefield Tour
1840-51. Greek Revival. This structure, listed in the National Register of Historic Places, is one of the finest Greek Revival style remaining in Mississippi. The Chapel is in the familiar Greek temple form. Its two principal floors are raised . . . — Map (db m119851) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Lorman — The Original CampusWindsor Battlefield Tour
In 1840, Dr. Jeremiah Chamberlain, founder and president of Oakland College, reported on progress to Governor McNutt as follows: "We have 250 acres of land... and subscriptions to above $100,000, near one-half of which is due in the form of a . . . — Map (db m118256) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Deposit — Bruinsburg
About 14 miles west at the mouth of Bayou Pierre is the old river port settled by Peter Bryan Bruin in 1788. It was visited by Aaron Burr in 1807. Grant landed there in Vicksburg Campaign of 1863. — Map (db m103797) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Deposit — The Bernheimer Complex
Built by Samuel and Jacob, prominent Jewish businessmen, this complex forms an unusual group of consecutively constructed buildings of various architectural styles. This house, built in 1901, replaced an earlier one used by Gen. U.S. Grant as his . . . — Map (db m103796) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Battle of Port Gibson
On May 1, 1863, Confederate forces under Brig. Gen. John Bowen clashed with elements of two Union corps commanded by Maj. Gen. U.S. Grant. The battle began around midnight near the Shaifer House four miles west of town. At dawn, the Federals . . . — Map (db m35542) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Battle of Port GibsonA.K. Shaifer House
Confederate Gen. Martin E. Green on the afternoon of April 30, 1863, posted his brigade near Magnolia Church, with an outpost here. Shortly after midnight. Green rode forward to check on his pickets. Reaching this point, the general found Mrs. A. . . . — Map (db m143319) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Bayou Pierre MoundsMississippi Mound Trail
Of the three original mounds overlooking Bayou Pierre, only one remains. A pyramidal platform, Mound A is currently 16 feet tall. Excavations indicate that Native Americans built the mound in multiple stages during the Coles Creek Period, from AD . . . — Map (db m103785) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Bayou Pierre Presbyterian Church
Following the arrival of Presbyterian missionaries in 1801, Joseph Bullen and James Smylie organized the Bayou Pierre Church at this site in 1807. After part of the congregation formed the Bethel Church southwest of here in 1824, the remaining . . . — Map (db m70394) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Brashear AcademyPort Gibson Historic Tour
407 Walnut. 1857 Greek Revival. Erected as a school for young ladies. Brashear Academy became Chamberlain-Hunt Academy after the Civil War. Thereafter, used as a public school until purchased by the First Presbyterian Church. — Map (db m139489) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Campaign, Siege, and Defense of Vicksburg: 1863.Battle of Port Gibson, Mississippi, May 1.
The Union Army under command of Maj. Gen. U.S. Grant was composed of the 13th Corps and Logan's Division of the 17th Corps. The Confederate Army, under command of Brig. Gen. John S. Bowen, was composed of Tracy's, Cockrell's, Green's, and Baldwin's . . . — Map (db m104412) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Chamberlain-Hunt AcademyPort Gibson Historic Tour
Church and Miss. 547. 1900 Queene Anne. Chamberlain-Hunt was an outgrowth of Oakland College, which moved here from Alcorn, and has been operational since 1879. Damaged severely by the fire of 1924. — Map (db m137994) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Chamberlain-Hunt Academy
Founded 1879 as a preparatory school for boys by the Presbyterian Church. Named for Jer. Chamberlain, president, and David Hunt, major benefactor, of Oakland College (1826-1861), predecessor of this academy. — Map (db m138721) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Claiborne County
Established on January 27, 1802, by first General Assembly. Claiborne County was the fourth county organized in the Mississippi Territory. Carved from Jefferson County (formerly Pickering County), of the Old Natchez District, the county was named . . . — Map (db m103802) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Claiborne CountyWindsor Battlefield Tour
This local area was once a part of the mighty Choctaw Nation. The Choctaw Indians relinquished when they signed The Treaty of Commissioner's Creek in 1802. Among the white men who signed this treaty were David Hunt and Daniel Burnet. The first . . . — Map (db m139187) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Claiborne CountyWindsor Battlefield Tour
The Caucasian habitation of Claiborne County began as a settlement on the banks of Bayou Pierre, a venture which perished in 1729. Pioneers again attempted to settle Grand Gulf in 1775. In 1802 the County officially established and named for the . . . — Map (db m139493) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Claiborne County Courthouse — Port Gibson Historic Tour —
. . . — Map (db m104339) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Commercial BuildingPort Gibson Historic Tour
212-14 Carrol. Ca. 1840 Greek Revival. One of the finest commercial/residential buildings from this era in Mississippi today. The center doorway opens to a stairhall which leads to the residence area upstairs. — Map (db m139356) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Commercial BuildingsPort Gibson Historic Tour
600 Block of Market. Ca. 1828-40. Federal/Greek Revival. This grouping of buildings had commercial space on the ground floor and either storage or living space above. Washington Hall at 601-09 Market was formerly a hotel. — Map (db m139468) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Dependency
An outbuilding in size and architectural detail to this one was constructed by Samuel Gibson, apparently at the same time as his residence circa 1805. The original dependency was probably used as a plantation office, school or weaving room. Since . . . — Map (db m137981) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Drake HomePort Gibson Historic Tour
1006 Church. Ca. 1900 Queen Anne. A stained glass transom over the large window of the protruding bay and decorative woodwork in the gable are characteristic of this architectural style. — Map (db m139171) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Englesing Home — Port Gibson Historic Tour —
702 Church. Ca. 1817 Federal. The birthplace of Constance Cary who was one of the young ladies involved in making the first Confederate battleflag. The small formal garden is the only one of its type remaining in Port Gibson. — Map (db m104374) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Fight for Hankinson's Ferry
As Logan's division marched west toward Grand Gulf on May 3, 1863, M. M. Crocker's division moved toward Hankinson's Ferry. At Kennison Creek, one mile north, the road was blocked by two Confederate brigades. After a spirited skirmish, the . . . — Map (db m103822) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — First Baptist M.B. Church
Founded in 1867 by freedmen. Moved to this site ca. 1896. Played a vital role in the Civil Rights Movement in Port Gibson. Beginning in 1965, the NAACP held meetings here to promote boycotts of local white merchants, who subsequently filed suit. In . . . — Map (db m103805) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — First Presbyterian Church
Second oldest Presbyterian Church in Old Southwest. Org. April, 1807, as Bayou Pierre Church. Moved to Port Gibson 1827. Zebulon Butler first resident pastor, 1827-60. Present structure built 1859. — Map (db m103807) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — First Presbyterian Church — Port Gibson Historic Tour —
609 Church. 1859-60 Romanesque Revival. This church with the hand pointing to heaven is the most famous building in Claiborne County. The original hand of gilded wood was carved by young Daniel Foley. — Map (db m104345) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — From This Site
From This Site Was Fired The First Shot In The Battle Of Port Gibson

Top of Monument In Memory Of The Confederate Soldiers Who Fought And Fell In The Battle Of Port Gibson May 1, 1863. — Map (db m143320) HM WM

Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Gage House — Port Gibson Historic Tour —
602 Church. Ca. 1830-50 Federal/Greek Revival. One of the two remaining examples of this architectural style in Claiborne County. Double galleries have modified Tuscan colonnettes. The brick dependency possibly predated the home. — Map (db m104368) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — 4 — Grant at Hankinson's Ferry
After occupying Willow Springs on May 5. 1863,. Gen. U. S. Grant divided his force. The XVII Corps advanced on Hankinson s Ferry 5 miles north of here in two columns. Gen. M. M. Crocker's division driving up this road encountered a Confederate . . . — Map (db m103849) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Grindstone Ford
This ford marked the beginning of the wilderness of the Choctaw nation and the end of the old Natchez District. Nearby Fort Deposit was a supply depot for troops clearing the Trace in 1801-02, and troops were assembled here during the Burr . . . — Map (db m61981) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Guthrie Home — Port Gibson Historic Tour —
703 Church. Ca. 1840 Greek Revival/Italianate. Italianate long windows and protruding bay windows are typical of many houses built just before the Civil War. The interesting and unusual etched glass panel in the front door depicts a pelican. — Map (db m104344) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Heath HomePort Gibson Historic Tour
1301 College. 1840's Queen Anne. The oldest portion of this house is a three room, one story wing at the south east corner.The Queen Anne addition, constructed in 1890, became the main living area. — Map (db m139172) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Hopkins HousePort Gibson Historic Tour
805 Church. Ca. 1845, Greek Revival. Reportedly constructed of flat boats in Grand Gulf in 1845 and moved to Port Gibson Ca. 1872. This Greek Revival cottage has typical square columns. Dormer windows have been added to the original structure. — Map (db m139182) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Hughes HomePort Gibson Historic Tour
907 Church. Ca. 1825 Greek Revival. Home of Henry Hughes, author of the first textbook on sociology, who gave this science its name. Dr. Irwin Russell, the first writer to use Negro dialect in poetry, also lived here as a boy. — Map (db m139173) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — IdlewildPort Gibson Historic Tour
Ca. 1833 Greek Revival. Idlewild's interior is noted for its twelve foot doors and windows. Henry Clay made a speech from the front porch during his presidential campaign in the 1840's. — Map (db m137984) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Jewish CemeteryPort Gibson Historic Tour
900 Marginal. 1870. Although Jewish families have played an important role in Port Gibson life since the 1830's, burials were made in the Jewish cemetery in Natchez prior to 1870. — Map (db m139180) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Judge Coleman HomePort Gibson Historic Tour
1108 Church. Ca. 1830 Greek Revival. This home built by Judge Coleman was the site of a large political rally held for Henry Clay, during one of his early visits to Port Gibson. — Map (db m139459) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Judge Maury HousePort Gibson Historic Tour
302 Jackson. Ca. 1827-1840, Greek Revival. Henry Clay often visited in Port Gibson and stayed in this house as guest of his friend, Judge James H. Maury. Descendents of Judge Maury still live here (1979). — Map (db m139354) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Levy HomePort Gibson Historic Tour
1202 Church. Ca. 1890 Stick Style. This house with its tall proportions, irregular silhouette, projecting eaves and exposed framing in the gables is an interesting example of the Stick Style. — Map (db m138753) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Lightfoot ParkHorace L. Lightfoot (1927-1976) — Tradesman • Businessman • Public Servant —
• Claiborne County native educated in local schools and Alcorn A & M College • First black citizen elected to the Claiborne County Board of Education - 1969 to 1974 • Operated a successful business on this site • Owned an . . . — Map (db m104424) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — 207 — Lil Green
Lil Green was known as the Queen of the Blues in the early 1940s when her distinctive, seductive voice was highlighted on “Romance in the Dark,” “Why Don’t You Do Right?” and other blues and pop songs recorded for the . . . — Map (db m143094) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Mangum Mound
Excavation of this site tells us much about the people of the late prehistoric periods. The Plaquemine culture included the ancestors of the modern tribes of Mississippi and Louisiana. It was a society with elaborate agriculturally oriented . . . — Map (db m87325) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — McDougall HousePort Gibson Historical Tour
509 Church. Ca. 1820 Greek Revival. The portico treatment featuring two round columns between two square columns is called distyle-in-antis. This arrangement is modeled after the Tower of the Winds in Athens. The Corinthian columns are carved from . . . — Map (db m139490) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — McGregor HousePort Gibson Historic Tour
Miss. 547. Ca. 1845 Greek Revival. Peter A. Van Dorn built this planter house which has the typical front and rear galleries, the latter now enclosed. The basic plan features two pairs of rooms flanking a center hall. — Map (db m138725) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Methodist Church — Port Gibson Historic Tour —
901 Church. 1858-60 Romanesque Revival. The original building was constructed in 1826, but was destroyed by fire in 1858. The new church built on the same site, was dedicated July 8, 1860. — Map (db m104399) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Oak Square1850-1906 — Port Gibson Historic Tour —
1207 Church Street. Port Gibson's largest mansion. This neoclassic house exemplifies the grandeur of antebellum days. The house with gardens and dependencies originally occupied the entire block. Named Oak Square because of the massive Oak trees . . . — Map (db m139025) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — O'Hara CottagePort Gibson Historic Tour
902 Farmer. Ca. 1850 Greek Revival. The original floor plan of this cottage consisted of one large room to either side of an entrance hall with front and rear galleries. A detached kitchen extended off the rear gallery. — Map (db m139474) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Owens Creek
The sounds of a busy woodland stream and the quiet murmur of a lazy waterfall have long been stilled here. Only after a heavy rainfall does water fill the stream and set the waterfall singing.      Over the years the water table has dropped . . . — Map (db m87327)
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Person HomePort Gibson Historic Tour
1009 Church Street,Ca. 1880's Queen Anne. The house is noteworthy for the lavish display of stained glass on the front facade. The builder used a strange, free classic Corinthian order for his columns. — Map (db m139028) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Planter's HotelPort Gibson Historic Tour
405 Market. 1810-20 Federal. This large brick structure was one of the well known inns along the Natchez Trace. The famous actor Joseph Jefferson was a guest here. This is one of the oldest buildings in Claiborne County. — Map (db m139471) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Port Gibson
Incorporated in 1811, Port Gibson was first settled by Samuel Gibson, who acquired property along Bayou Pierre from the Spanish in 1788. First known as Gibson's Landing. Port Gibson, selected as the Claiborne County seat in 1803, had the state's . . . — Map (db m103803) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Port Gibson BankPort Gibson Historic Tour
702 Market. 1840 Greek Revival. This bank closed its doors during the Civil War but reopened afterwards as a hotel.Since 1890 it has been used for its original purpose. The hexastyle portico features unfluted Doric columns. — Map (db m139458) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Port Gibson City Hall
Built in 1838 by Presbyterians to house Port Gibson Academy Methodists assumed ownership and the Academy was chartered as Port Gibson Collegiate Academy in 1854, becoming Port Gibson Female College in 1881. The school closed in 1928.

On December . . . — Map (db m139047) HM

Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Presbyterian MansePort Gibson Historic Tour
1103 Church Street. 1830-31 Greek Revival. This house was constructed the year following erection of the first building to house the First Presbyterian Church during the early ministry of Dr. Zebulon Butler. — Map (db m139026) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — 21 — Rabbit Foot Minstrels
[front:] Rabbit Foot Minstrels. During the first half of the 20th century, the African American Rabbit Foot Minstrels entertainers played a major role in spreading the blues via tours across the South. Founded in 1900, the . . . — Map (db m35545) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Roman Catholic CemeteryPort Gibson Historic Tour
700 Coffee. 1850's. Resin Bowie and his wife are buried here. According to tradition, Resin invented the "Bowie" knife with which his brother Jim Bowie fought the duel and became well known in history. — Map (db m139181) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Samuel Gibson House
This brick structure is thought to have been built ca. 1805 as a residence for Samuel Gibson, the founder of Port Gibson. It was moved from its original site to this location in 1980. Typical of the dwellings built during the early settlement of . . . — Map (db m137975) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Schillig HomePort Gibson Historic Tour
1101 College Street. 1896 Queen Anne. This house is one of the finest examples of Queen Anne architecture in Claiborne County. The style is indicative of a number of houses built in Port Gibson near the turn of the century. — Map (db m139027) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Shreve House — Port Gibson Historic Tour —
701 Church. Ca. 1825 Federal. The original floor plan consisted of four rooms, no center hall, front and back galleries. The designer and builder was Horatio Nelson Spencer, a prominent local attorney. — Map (db m104354) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Site of the Hermitage
W. 2 mi. Built about 1800 by George W. Humphreys, Birthplace of Benjamin Grubb Humphreys (1808-82). Brigadier General, C.S.A. Governor of Mississippi from 1865 to 1868. — Map (db m103800) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — 4 — Skirmish at Willow Springs
When Union Gen. J. B. McPherson's XVII Corps reached Grindstone Ford, 2 miles south of here at dusk on May 2, 1863, the troops found the bridge across Big Bayou Pierre burning. Col. J. H. Wilson and a detachment put out the fire. During the night . . . — Map (db m103855) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Spencer HomePort Gibson Historic Tour
1302 Church. Ca. 1840. Greek Revival. The front part of this house is pegged together with wooden pegs rather than being nailed. The kitchen was in a separate building to the rear. — Map (db m138751) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — St. James Episcopal Church — Port Gibson Historic Tour —
808 Church. 1884-85. Ca. 1897 High Victorian Gothic. The architect was W.P. Wentworth from Boston. The entire structure reflects contemporary architectural developments in Massachusetts rather than in Mississippi. — Map (db m104400) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — St. Peter A.M.E. ChurchPort Gibson Historic Tour
409 Church. Ca. 1885 High Victorian Gothic. This church was founded in 1870. The building is a simplified version of the High Victorian Gothic style popular in the United States in the latter half of the nineteenth century. — Map (db m139491) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Sunken Trace
Preserved here is a portion of the deeply eroded or “sunken” Old Trace. Hardships of journeying on the Old Trace included heat, mosquitoes, poor food, hard beds (if any), disease, swollen rivers, and sucking swamps.      Take 5 minutes . . . — Map (db m87313) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Temple Gemiluth Chassed — Port Gibson Historic Tour —
706 Church. 1891-92 Victorian Moro-Byzantine Revival. The architects of Temple Gemiluth Chassed, which means gift of the righteous, combined Moorish, Byzantine and Romanesque styles to produce a building unique in Mississippi. — Map (db m104343) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — The Federals Occupy Port Gibson
About dark on May 1, 1863, Gen. W. E. Baldwin's Confederates retreated through Port Gibson. After crossing the suspension bridge over Little Bayou Pierre, the Confederates set it afire. On the morning of the 2d. the Union army entered the beautiful . . . — Map (db m103808) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — The Port Gibson Boycott
On April 1, 1966, the local chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) imposed an economic boycott on the majority of the white-owned businesses in Port Gibson/Claiborne County. In the months leading up to the . . . — Map (db m104340) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — The Vicksburg Campaign and SiegeA Guide to the Campaign Trail — Brig. Gen. (Ret.) Parker Hills —
In April of 1861, rumors of Civil War became a reality at Charleston harbor when Fort Sumter was fired upon by Southern forces. Many leaders, both North and South, believed that a dash to capture the opposing side's capital city would bring a quick . . . — Map (db m139494) HM WM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Van Dorn House(Located One-Half Mile to the East)
Originally named "The Hill," this house was built by Peter Aaron Van Dorn, ca. 1828. Located on one of Port Gibson's highest hills, the brick and cypress house was constructed from the resources presumed to be local. Distinctive features of the . . . — Map (db m137977) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Van Dorn HousePort Gibson Historic Tour
Ca. 1830 Federal. Built by Peter A. Van Dorn, New Jersey native who purchased this land in 1826. In 1817 Van Dorn was first clerk of the State House of Representatives. Boyhood home of Van Dorn's son, Confederate General Earl Van Dorn. — Map (db m143065) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Windsor MoundsMississippi Mound Trail
Windsor Mounds includes four rectangular platform mounds overlooking Bayou Pierre. Mound A, visible from the road, is the largest at over 30 feet, and has a ramp extending toward the east. Mounds B, C, and D range in height from 3 to 16 feet. The . . . — Map (db m103783) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Windsor Ruins
Smith Coffee Daniell II, a successful cotton planter, completed construction of Windsor in 1861. Daniell owned 21,000 acres of plantation land in Louisiana and Mississippi. Ironically, he died in April 1861, only weeks after completing his mansion. . . . — Map (db m70541) HM

2066 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 201 through 401 were listed. Previous 200 Next 1666
Paid Advertisement