Here stood the birthplace of Henry Alexander Wise (1806-1876), Governor of Virginia (1856-1860) and general in the Confederate States Army. A talented orator and debator in an age of great orators, Wise was elected to six terms in Congress. He . . . — — Map (db m7823) HM
Built in 1783 in one corner of the jailyard to serve as a residence for the jailer, the building served in this capacity for 41 years. Iron bard, oak batten doors and locks were added in 1842 when it was converted into a prison for debtors in . . . — — Map (db m7828) HM
who landed at Hunt's Point, Old Plantation Creek, on Easter Sunday 1776 and the same day preached the first Baptist sermon, “At the End of a Horsing Tree.” Opposition of the established church caused him to be deported; but kind . . . — — Map (db m71852) HM
The Presbyterian Historical Society of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania erected this monument and dedicated it on May 11, 1908, at Makemie Park on Holder Creek where Francis Makemie is buried at his Pocomoke home. In 1984 the monument was moved here and . . . — — Map (db m7829) HM
The first high school for blacks in Accomack County was dedicated on this site in 1932. It was named in honor of Mary Nottingham Smith (1892-1951), a black educator who dedicated her life to educating all young people. In 1956, the school was . . . — — Map (db m7822) HM
The Occohannock Indians, one of the important Virginia Indian groups on the Eastern Shore, were composed of several tribes including the Onancock, Machipongo, Metomkin, Chincoteague, Kegotank, Pungoteague, Chesconessex, and Nandua. Capt. John Smith . . . — — Map (db m71855) HM
Was established on this island on February 14, 1892 by Joseph B. Lynch, not far from this location. Doctrine is Justification and Sanctification. This building was erected in 1903. Since this beginning churches are established throughout the . . . — — Map (db m59834) HM
Keeping the Forest Full of Life
Wildlife have the same basic needs humans do—food, water, shelter, and space. To make sure those needs are met, refuge staff carefully manage forest areas. They remove some trees, plant others that are . . . — — Map (db m98827) HM
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the Assateague Island Lighthouse is a striking landmark that attracts many visitors. At the same time, it is an active aid to navigation, operated by the U.S. Coast Guard, that gives ships a visual . . . — — Map (db m98824) HM
Hardy, compact, and spirited—the horses on Assateague Island run freely over a range bounded by ocean and bay. Bands of mares and young led by protective stallions graze on marsh grasses, drink at freshwater ponds, and retreat into island . . . — — Map (db m98826) HM
In the 1800s, after the lighthouse was built, a small community grew up not far from here. By the early 1900s, about 225 lived in the village, which included a school, dry goods store, and a church. The residents harvested resources from the sea, . . . — — Map (db m98825) HM
Five miles west is "Hedra Cottage", site of the home of Colonel Edmund Scarborough (Scarburgh), surveyor general of the colony. Beyond, at the end of Scarborough's Neck, was the village of the Occahannock Indians, the seat of Debedeavon, the . . . — — Map (db m7608) HM
This first play recorded in the United States was presented August 27, 1665. The Accomack County Court at Pungoteague heard charges against three men “for acting a play,” ordered inspection of costumes and script, but found the men . . . — — Map (db m7613) HM
Two miles east, on Route 600, meets what is possibly the nation's oldest continuous Sunday School. Begun by William Elliott in his home in 1785, it was moved in 1816 to Burton's Chapel and in 1870 to the present church. — — Map (db m7615) HM
Known as the Scott Hall Cemetery, it dates from the late 18th century. Here will be found the grave of Commodore Whaley of the Maryland Navy who was killed in the Battle of the Barges in the Chesapeake Bay near the mouth of Onancock Creek in . . . — — Map (db m7681) HM
Records of this mercantile business date back to 1842. This store also served the community as a bank and as a social and political meeting place. Deeded in 1970 to Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities. — — Map (db m7675) HM
Two miles west is Onancock, founded in 1680. A courthouse was then built and used for a few years. Militia barracks were there in the Revolution. From Onancock, Colonel John Cropper went to the aid of Commodore Whaley in the last naval action of the . . . — — Map (db m7673) HM
At the south end of Main Ridge, the road becomes Banny's Road, which once led to Banty's Wharf. Banty's Wharf was named for Capt. John L. "Banty" who lived here with his wife, Mrs. Ellen Elizabeth Shores. For over 200 years the island's primary . . . — — Map (db m106987) HM
At the end of Chambers Lane in an area once known as Chambers Wharf, site of the John Chambers Store. Lorraine's Sandwich Shop now occupies the site of the first Post Office, built in 1891.
The homes at 4411 and 4413 Chambers Lane were moved . . . — — Map (db m107002) HM
The famous Chesapeake House occupies two old island homes. Hilda Crockett opened the business in 1944 in the Peter Crockett House with four guest rooms and a dining room on the porch. She expanded by purchasing the Nathan Rayfield House where the . . . — — Map (db m39952) HM
Peter Williams owned and operated the first store on this site. It was built by Charles Roland Parks and William Walters in the 1920's. It later operated as the Smith and Moore Market and was one of the first businesses to take credit cards when . . . — — Map (db m107006) HM
Every week for more than thirty years Dr. David Buell Nichols made the voyage from Hummel Field in Middlesex County to Tangier Island in the Chesapeake Bay to administer health care to those in need. For an island with no resident doctor, the sound . . . — — Map (db m97803) HM
The former Noble Dise Store was replaced with the island's first mobile home in 1959.
Manufactured homes remain popular today, but require a community-wide effort to move one into place after being delivered to the island by barge. — — Map (db m39950) HM
Fisherman's Corner Restaurant was featured in Southern Living Magazine (May, 2005) and is renowned for superb stuffed shrimp, irresistible crab bisque, and soft shell crab tidbits.
The owners, Irene Eskridge and Mary Stuart Parks rely on . . . — — Map (db m107004) HM
In 1946, this building served as the first meeting place of the New Testament Congregation. It was vandalized several times during a rather contentious time in the island's religious history, a story reported in Newsweek, 1947.
Throughout the . . . — — Map (db m39682) HM
In April 1814, during the war of 1812, British
forces commanded by Adm. Sir George Cockburn
established Fort Albion on the southern tip of
Tangier Island. The fort, which included barracks
a hospital, a church, parade grounds, and . . . — — Map (db m97720) HM
Dr. Charles Gladstone (1880 - 1968) was Tangier's longest serving doctor. He arrived in 1918 and was always on call. Monthly, he would go door-to-door to collect his flat fee of $1.50 but would accept whatever the family could afford. This monthly . . . — — Map (db m39684) HM
Many people ask about the gravestones in front yards. While not unique to Tangier Island and seen throughout the Eastern Shore of Virginia, these are more obvious on such a small island. A number of reasons have been given for these burial sites: . . . — — Map (db m106973) HM
This is the site of the island's only unsolved murder. Charles C. "Bud" Connorton, the Town Sergeant, was eating in an earlier building here when he was fatally shot through an open window. His assailant was never identified. — — Map (db m39555) HM
John Wallace (1855-1926) moved to Tangier in the 1870's. The J.E. Wallace & Co. Store was on the corner of Wallace Road and West Ridge, facing Wallace Road. It sold groceries, general merchandise, and coffins, as Wallace also worked as an . . . — — Map (db m106992) HM
The Joshua Thomas House is long gone, replaced by the modern, chalet style house at the end of the lane. Joshua Thomas, the renowned "Parson of the Islands," lived here from 1799 until about 1825.
The Tangier Town Hall is a former US Navy . . . — — Map (db m106998) HM
This cemetery is the possible site of Lee’s Bethel, the island’s first church. Next to the cemetery is the last of the island’s once plentiful garden farms.
Tangiermen were famous for growing melons, filling their boats until just the gunnels . . . — — Map (db m97873) HM
Long Bridge, formerly called Mooney's Bridge, leads over the Main or Big Gut back to the section of Tangier known as "Meat Soup."
The house at the end of the bridge was the home of Norris Angle, who operated the Ambulance Boat. An airplane . . . — — Map (db m107001) HM
The Methodist Parsonage, the home of the resident Reverend and his family, was erected in 1887. It is the only house on the island with a basement and the first to have an indoor bathroom.
It was the first house to have chain link fence, . . . — — Map (db m39949) HM
The New Testament Congregation was dedicated on Easter Sunday, 1957, and occupies the same site used for the Chautauqua tent in the 1920's.
The New Testament Mission House was once the home of teacher Alfred Benson (1893-1963) who taught at the . . . — — Map (db m106975) HM
Factory Road was originally named New Road. It is said to have been built by Henry Frazier, a Black man, by hand, around the time of the Civil War. In 1919, George Lawson of Crisfield, MD in association with the Kegan, Grace & W. Shirt Makers Guild . . . — — Map (db m106988) HM
Owner Milton Parks has provided warm hospitality to boaters for decades. His marina serves local watermen, commercial and recreational boat traffic.
Milton Parks on his scooter - Kaye, 2005
Oyster Buy Boats at Park's . . . — — Map (db m106963) HM
The new house on the corner of Garman Road and Main Ridge is the site of the former Peter S. Crockett Store, later Daughtery & Ward, and then Haynie Grocery.
It had a two-story front porch and was featured in many old photographs. . . . — — Map (db m106972) HM
Spanky's Place, now an ice cream parlor with a 50's theme, is one of many businesses to occupy this site. These include Michael Thomas's store that sold stoves and propane, Jolly Jim's Restaurant, Nice's Place, and the Roadside Restaurant. It was . . . — — Map (db m106966) HM
The most prominent of the island's buildings, Swain Memorial United Methodist Church is easily recognized as the focal point of Tangier.
Built in 1899 on the site of the island's second church (1842), it is the center of the Tangier's religious . . . — — Map (db m39998) HM
Mailboat Harbor replaced Steamboat Harbor in the 1930’s as the age of steamboats came to a close. The harbor was first dredged in 1922, from the Eastern side. In 1967, the harbor was dredged through to the Western side of the island. This was a . . . — — Map (db m39554) HM
This is the site of the former Lewis Crockett Store. It is also the site where in 1936, the Goodyear Blimp arrived with provisions to feed the islanders, who had been frozen in for over two months during a record freeze.
The Visitors Center and . . . — — Map (db m106969) HM
The island was visited in 1608 by Captain John Smith, who gave it the name. A part was patented by Ambrose White in 1670. It was settled in 1686 by John Crockett and his sons’ families. In 1814, it was the headquarters of a British fleet ravaging . . . — — Map (db m46705) HM
In honor of the men and
women of Tangier Island who
faithfully served their
country in World Wars I and II
World War I
*Crockett, William L. *Crockett, Tubman
World War II
*Charnock, Ray H. *Crockett, Charles A. Jr. *Crockett, . . . — — Map (db m107033) WM
The Tangier Volunteer Fire Department was established in 1964 and moved to this location in 1983.
Fire is especially dangerous on a small island. where wooden houses are close together, allowing fire to spread quickly, especially when fanned by . . . — — Map (db m106986) HM
The Telephone Building was built in
1966 by Grover Charnock when
radiotelephones were finally replaced
with a microwave tower.
In front of this is a new home, built on
the site of the former Grand Theater,
built in 1929 by Gordon Daley, . . . — — Map (db m97690) HM
The Amanda Wallace Pruitt House was also the home of Reverend James C. Richardson after his resignation from the Methodist church.
He founded the New Testament Church, which met here from 1948-1956. Services were held in the living room and . . . — — Map (db m106996) HM
The Connorton House was the home of the town Sergeant, Bud Connorton.
On Sunday April 11, 1920, Sergeant Connorton shot and wounded 17 year old Roland Parks. He was trying to enforce a town ordinance that forbade "loafing on store porches and . . . — — Map (db m39954) HM
The Doctor's House was owned consecutively by doctors Samuel Oglesby, William Daisey, Bache Gill, and Charles Gladstone. Dr. Gladstone never lived there, but boarded next door in the Sidney Crockett House.
Dr. Gladstone's former office still . . . — — Map (db m39951) HM
The Double Six Sandwich Shop is where the watermen meet at 3:00 AM for "smokes and coffee" before heading down to the docks to the day's work.
Named for the game of Dominos, the shop is open for sandwiches year-round, and was often considered a . . . — — Map (db m39683) HM
The Edward Crockett House was formerly the home of "Sugar Tom" Crockett (1833-1905) the Island's first historian, and author of Facts & Fun, the first written history of Tangier Island. It later served as a hotel and the office of Dr. W.O. . . . — — Map (db m106967) HM
The John Thomas House marks the dividing line between the old Thomas and Wallace family lands.
At the end of the 19th century, these two families owned almost all of the land on the western side of the island. — — Map (db m106991) HM
The Joshua Pruitt House is one of the oldest on Tangier.
Joshua Pruitt (1866-1949) and his wife Amanda took in boarders, teachers, and held worship services in their front yard.
Pruitt traveled to Washington, DC, during the Great . . . — — Map (db m106968) HM
Miss Minnie and Capt. Charlie raised eight children in this house. In order to accommodate the entire family at a single table, Capt. Charlie commissioned Henry Jander to build them a table capable of seating ten people. Later, one son, Orville, and . . . — — Map (db m106989) HM
Joshua Thomas (1776–1853) became a skilled waterman
from the in his youth and ferried clergymen
from the mainland to the islands of the
He converted to Methodism
about 1807, was licensed as an exhorter (or lay preacher) . . . — — Map (db m97688) HM
Patrick Benson, a ship's captain from Dublin, Ireland, purchased this land in 1879. The middle section of house was completed in 1889. The front section with porch and back section with kitchen and outbuilding were added over the years, but . . . — — Map (db m106977) HM
The Peter Dise House is one of the oldest on the island and was moved from the "Uppards," the now unoccupied marsh north of the harbor.
There were originally four fresh water wells on the island, two on Maine Ridge, one on Canton Ridge and one on . . . — — Map (db m39953) HM
The Sydney Wallace House is one of the Island's most admired. Built in 1904 and restored in 1995 by Wallace's grandson, it now operates as the Bay View Inn.
Sydney Wallace House - National Geographic, 1973 — — Map (db m106993) HM
For almost 250 years the people of Tangier have wrested a living and a lifestyle from the waters that surround them. Most of their days have been occupied with family, work, church, and the other normal pursuits in which we all engage. But they have . . . — — Map (db m97723) HM
For almost 250 years the people of Tangier have wrested a living and a lifestyle from the waters that surround them. Most of their days have been occupied with family, work, church, and the other normal pursuits in which we all engage. But they have . . . — — Map (db m106961) HM
Honors Anne Makemie Holden Landowner, successful business woman manager, champion of American Independence. Daughter of Naomi and Francis Makemie, founder of organized American Presbyterianism Presented June 17, 1998 by Virginia Business and . . . — — Map (db m7835) HM
Five miles west was the home of the Rev. Francis Makemie, founder of Presbyterianism in the United States. About 1684, Makemie established in Maryland the first Presbyterian Church. Later he moved to Accomac and married. He died here in 1708. — — Map (db m7830) HM
Erected in Gratitude to God And in grateful, remembrance of his servant and minister Francis Makemie, who was born in Ramelton, County Donegal, Ireland, A.D. 1658(?) was educated at Glasgow University, Scotland, and came as an ordained Evangelist to . . . — — Map (db m7838) HM
Commemorates the belief that in this ancient family cemetery were buried near the remains of Francis Makemie, those of his wife Naomi, his daughters Elizabeth and Madame Anne Holden, and his father-in-law, William Anderson. Also those of John . . . — — Map (db m7840) HM
The Wallops Island Flight Facility was established in 1945 by the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics and is one of the oldest launch sites in the world. This facility was built to conduct aeronautical research using rocket-propelled . . . — — Map (db m63666) HM
The visitor center displays NASA’s past, present and future projects, as well as, Wallops flight facility’s role in Aeronautical and Space research. The NASA Goddard Space Flight Center’s Wallops flight facility was established in 1945, and is one . . . — — Map (db m95122) HM
Nelson County. In the foothills of Virginia’s Piedmont,
Nelson County was formed in 1807 from Amherst County. The county was named for Thomas Nelson, Jr., governor of Virginia from June to November 1781. The county seat is Lovingston. The . . . — — Map (db m4030) HM
The Staunton and James River Turnpike ran
through here at Batesville and stretched for
43½ miles from Staunton to Scottsville.
Construction began in 1826 and was completed
by 1830. The turnpike provided a direct
route for Shenandoah Valley . . . — — Map (db m21696) HM
The Rothwell Family of Albemarle County Virginia.
Claiborne one of the first of the Rothwells to live in this county, was born about 1741 as reported in The Virginia Advocate, Saturday Oct. 11, 1828 and “died on Oct. 6 in his 87th . . . — — Map (db m3996) HM
Villages such as Advance Mills were once common features of rural Virginia, serving as economic and social centers. Advance Mills grew around a single mill that John Fray constructed in 1833 on the north fork of the Rivanna River. By the twentieth . . . — — Map (db m55785) HM
"In 1779 4,000 prisoners, British and their German auxiliaries, captured at the Battle of Saratoga in 1777, marched over 600 miles to quarters, called 'The Barracks', situated a half mile north of this site. Traditionally, some of these prisoners . . . — — Map (db m37586) HM
Albemarle County. Albemarle County was formed in 1744 from Goochland County and named for William Anne Keppel, the second Earl of Albemarle, titular governor of Virginia from 1747 to 1754. A portion of Louisa County was later added to Albemarle . . . — — Map (db m21585) HM
In 1814 a ditch 500 yards long was dug to keep grazing animals off the west lawn.
The rails that were laid across the banks reminded a visitor in 1823 of "a common post and rail fence, blown down across a ditch." — — Map (db m100002) HM
Wood charcoal fueled the forges in the nailery on Mulberry Row and heated the stoves in the kitchen. Charcoal was stored under lock and key in wooden sheds that once stood here. Built about 1794, these "coal sheds" likely resembled temporary . . . — — Map (db m100442) HM
In Jan. 1779, during the American Revolution, 4,000 British troops and German mercenaries (commonly known as “Hessians”) captured following the Battle of Saratoga in New York arrived here after marching from Massachusetts. It was called . . . — — Map (db m55784) HM
Mulberry Row’s buildings have all but disappeared—only the remains of four survive. Before re-creating lost buildings and roads, we look at information from many sources. How do we know about this important place and the history of its people, . . . — — Map (db m80863) HM
The Dogwood Vietnam Memorial, a project of the Charlottesville Dogwood Festival, Inc., was conceived late in 1965 after news arrived of the first casualty of the Vietnam War from this area. Consisting of a plaza with a plaque and flagpole, the . . . — — Map (db m102815) HM
The Eagle. Peacemaker. Tecumseh. Bremo. Wellington. Diomede. These were the six carriage and saddle horses, plus one mule, stabled here in 1821. As many as 30 riding and carriage horses, workhorses, and mules were stabled at various locations on the . . . — — Map (db m100157) HM
Master carpenter James Dinsmore oversaw construction of this Ice House to Jefferson's design in 1802. Enslaved and hired workers filled it each year between November and February with ice cut from the nearby Rivanna River, shallow ponds, or snow . . . — — Map (db m68174) HM
Here on December the tenth MDCCCLXIX the Kappa Sigma Fraternity was founded by William Grisby McCormick • George Miles Arnold • John Covert Boyd • Edmund Law Rogers • Frank Courtney Nicodemus. Manet Mansuraque Est. — — Map (db m8812) HM
Near here, on both sides of the Rivanna River, was located the Monacan Indian village of Monasukapanough. This village was one of five Monacan towns that Captain John Smith recorded by name on his 1612 Map of Virginia, though many more . . . — — Map (db m106829) HM
Every article is made on his farm; his negroes are cabinet makers, carpenters, masons, bricklayers, smith, etc. Duc de La Rochefoucauld Liancourt, 1796
You are standing on Mulberry Row, a road once lined with more than 20 dwellings, . . . — — Map (db m68171) HM
Jefferson attempted to create an efficient plantation based on new approaches to agriculture and manufacturing. To realize his goals, dozens of enslaved and free workers lived and worked here on Mulberry Row. Jefferson added a series of dwellings . . . — — Map (db m100132) HM
Jefferson set up a nail-making operation in 1794 to provide income until he could “put my farms into a course of yielding profit.” He calculated the nailers’ daily output, the waste of nailrod, and profits. In its first years, the . . . — — Map (db m80862) HM
What you see here is a reconstruction of the North Terrace wing. The original wing, built 1801-05, housed Jefferson's carriages and the horses and carriages of visitors; most of Jefferson's horses were stabled at the east end of Mulberry Row. Horses . . . — — Map (db m100469) HM
This was the general site of the "old nursery," where Jefferson grafted and sowed the seed of special garden plants. He propagated thirteen kinds of shrubs, forty—one species of ornamental trees, twenty—six vegetable varieties, six kinds . . . — — Map (db m100003) HM
Virginia's virgin forest provided materials for the settlers' most basic shelter. Centuries ago, first growth trees were felled and the wood hewn to form this single-room log cabin in Piney River, Virginia, 45 minutes south of here. The structure is . . . — — Map (db m53613) HM
Jesse Pitman Lewis (d. March 8, 1849), of the Virginia Militia, and Taliaferro Lewis (d. July 12, 1810), of the Continental Line, two of several brothers who fought in the War for Independence, are buried in the Lewis family cemetery 100 yards south . . . — — Map (db m3994) HM
Civil War relic collectors found Stuart’s winter camp and skirmish site (shaded area of map) long before the Rio Hill Shopping Center opened in 1989.
Metal detectors were used to search the area and artifacts—bullets, buttons, belt and . . . — — Map (db m7692) HM
In December 1863, Confederate troops established winter quarters here. The approximately 200 soldiers, under the command of Capt. Marcellus N. Moorman, were from Stuart’s Horse Artillery Battalion and were equipped with 16 cannons. The men built . . . — — Map (db m7690) HM
The 19th-century mill village of Rio Mills stood 600 yards west of here, where the former Harrisonburg-Charlottesville Turnpike crossed the South Fork of the Rivanna River. Following the Battle of Rio Hill on 29 February 1864, Union General George . . . — — Map (db m106830) HM
Built before 1744 by
Col. Joshua Fry
Surveyor, Mathematician, Pioneer
Commander-in-Chief of Virginia Forces
French and Indian War
George Washington Inscribed over his Grave
“Here lies the good, the just
and the noble . . . — — Map (db m23244) HM
On February 29, 1864, General George A. Custer and 1500 cavalrymen made a diversionary raid Into Albemarle County. Here, north of Charlottesville, he attacked the Confederate winter camp of four batteries of the Stuart Horse Artillery commanded by . . . — — Map (db m7685) HM
Over 200 years ago, four log dwellings stood here. The first, constructed in the 1770s and destroyed by fire ca. 1790. was the "Negro quarter," a large 17 x 34 foot structure intended for multiple enslaved individuals or families. Three identical, . . . — — Map (db m100176) HM
In the long, three-celled wooden structure that stood here between ca. 1790 and 1809, Jefferson combined two of what he considered "indispensable" elements of a Virginia plantation, the "smoke house" and "dairy." His unusual design placed "two . . . — — Map (db m100440) HM
Bounded by the James River to the south and the Rivanna River to the north, this nationally significant district encompasses 83,627 acres. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2007, it includes buildings influenced by Jefferson’s . . . — — Map (db m23240) HM
Panel 1 Jefferson introduced mechanized cloth production to his plantation when trade embargoes and looming war cut off the supply of imported British cloth. In 1811, he hired William McLure, a free white artisan and "a very ingenious man," . . . — — Map (db m68175) HM
Dedicated to the lasting memory of all who served our country in Vietnam and Southeast Asia.
Champ Jackson Lawson, Jr. — 04 November 1965
Grandville Reynard Jones, Jr. — 05 December 1965
Oscar Mauterer — 15 February . . . — — Map (db m102781) HM WM
After Jefferson's death in 1826, his heirs sold his property, including his slaves, to pay his debts. Naval officer Uriah Phillips Levy, who admired Jefferson for his support of religious liberty, purchased Monticello in 1834 to preserve it. This is . . . — — Map (db m80808) HM
Not far from the Tavern, the Michie family owned and operated a mill and general store. At the turn of the century the mill fell from decay. In order to recreate the Michie's Tavern-plantation (which stretched for several miles) Historic Michie . . . — — Map (db m53611) HM
This graveyard had its beginning in an agreement between two young men, Thomas Jefferson and Dabney Carr, who were school-mates and friends. They agreed that they would be buried under a great oak which stood here.
Carr, who married Jefferson's . . . — — Map (db m80807) HM
These willow oaks were planted by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II & Prince Philip in ceremonies honoring the royal visit to the Western Virginia Bicentennial Center July 10, 1976. — — Map (db m21950) HM
The greatest advocate of human liberty
Opposing special privileges
He loved and trusted The People
To commemorate his
Purchase of Louisiana
The Jefferson Club
of St. Louis MO
on their pilgrimage Oct 12, 1901
to . . . — — Map (db m99849) HM
This barn was once a place to hang and dry harvested tobacco plants. Tobacco was the primary cash crop in early Virginia. Many large landholders, including the Michies, grew tobacco as their principal money-making crop.
However, in time, these . . . — — Map (db m53612) HM
On 3 Mar. 1865, Maj. Gen. Philip H. Sheridan’s Union Army of the Shenandoah entered Charlottesville to destroy railroad facilities as the 3rd Cavalry Division led by Bvt. Maj. Gen. George A. Custer arrived from Waynesboro. Mayor Christopher H. . . . — — Map (db m95140) HM
Citizens of central and western Virginia have contributed significantly to national defense and to the U.S. Army throughout its 200-year history.
During the Revolutionary War, Virginians fought valiantly as members of the militia and the . . . — — Map (db m21890) HM
William Holding Echols (1859–1934), Professor of Mathematics, lived in this pavilion. By precept and example, he taught many generations of students with ruthless insistence that the supreme values are self respect, integrity of mind, contempt . . . — — Map (db m62645) HM
This chimney and foundation are all that remain of the “joiner’s shop”, one of the first structures on Mulberry Row. From about 1775, free and enslaved workmen produced some of the finest woodwork in Virginia. Sawyers and carpenters . . . — — Map (db m80860) HM
The St. John School, built here in 1922–1923, served African-American students during the segregation era. Julius Rosenwald, president of Sears Roebuck and Co., collaborated with Booker T. Washington in a school-building campaign begining in . . . — — Map (db m102560) HM
In 1866 Dr. William D. Boaz established the first commercial apple orchard in Covesville. These orchards specialized in the Albemarle Pippin, which became one of the most prized and profitable apple varieties grown in Virginia. By 1890 the success . . . — — Map (db m25473) HM
Nelson County. In the foothills of Virginia’s Piedmont,
Nelson County was formed in 1807 from Amherst County. The county was named for Thomas Nelson, Jr., governor of Virginia from June to November 1781. The county seat is Lovingston. The . . . — — Map (db m44042) HM
The town grew around a rail stop established on Wayland’s farm in 1878. It was named for Col. B. Claudius Crozet, (1789–1864)—Napoleonic Army officer, and Virginia’s Engineer and Cartographer—he built this pioneer railway through . . . — — Map (db m1798) HM
Earlysville Union Church is a rare surviving
early-19th-century interdenominational church
constructed in Albemarle County. Built in
1833, this frame structure served as a
meetinghouse for all Christian denominations
on land deeded by John . . . — — Map (db m21650) HM
This tablet placed here by the Colonial Dames of America in the State of Virginia in the year 1930, commemorates the founding of the First Buck Mountain Church established under the authority of The Church of England and builded one mile west of . . . — — Map (db m21690) HM
Shortly after the formation of St. Anne's Parish in 1745, this established church stood on a knoll 100 yards north on nearby Ballenger Creek. Not used regularly after the old parish was dissolved in 1785, the building was in ruins by 1820 and was . . . — — Map (db m29953) HM
In 1762 the vestry of St. Anne's Parish purchased from William Burton 400 acres here for the residence and lands of the rector of the parish, established in 1745. This glebe was so used almost until the dissolution of the old parish. It was sold in . . . — — Map (db m29951) HM
Albemarle County was formed in 1744 from Goochland County and named for William Anne Keppel, the second Earl of Albemarle, titular governor of Virginia from 1737 to 1754. A portion of Louisa County was later added to Albemarle . . . — — Map (db m22780) HM
Thomas Sumter was born on 14 Aug. 1734 in this region. Sumter, a member of the Virginia militia during the French and Indian War, moved to South Carolina in 1765. He served as a lieutenant colonel in the Continental Army (1776–1778); in June . . . — — Map (db m17501) HM
Nearby stands Mirador the childhood home of Nancy, Viscountess Astor, the first woman member of Parliament. Born Nancy Witcher Langhorne in 1879, she lived here from 1892 to 1897. In 1906 she married Waldorf Astor and moved to England permanently. . . . — — Map (db m1535) HM
This was the girlhood home of Viscountess Nancy Astor, first woman member of the British Parliament. She was a daughter of Chiswell Dabney Langhorne, who bought “Mirador” in 1892. The house was built sometime after 1832 for James M. . . . — — Map (db m1536) HM
The monument before you honors Virginia state highway workers who lost their lives while serving the Commonwealth’s travelers. No public funds were used to build this memorial. It was built entirely with donations from Virginia Department of . . . — — Map (db m26332) HM
“Look! There’s a deer!” Visitors often exclaim these words in Shenandoah national park-an amazing fact since deer were not here in 1926 when Congress authorized Shenandoah. Years of hunting and other human activity had eliminated them. . . . — — Map (db m46006) HM
Among the scenic roads of America’s national parks, the Skyline Drive may be the most famous. For decades the Drive has given millions of visitors easy access to the mountains and sky of Shenandoah National Park.
The Skyline Drive follows the . . . — — Map (db m46008) HM
Half a mile north was born, 1774, Meriwether Lewis, of the Lewis and Clark Expedition, sent by Jefferson to explore the far west, 1804–1806. The expedition reached the mouth of the Columbia River, November 15, 1805. — — Map (db m1795) HM
Late in April 1862, Maj. Gen. Thomas J. “Stonewall” Jackson marched his army out of the Shenandoah Valley through the Blue Ridge Mountains to deceive Union Maj. Gen. John C. Fremont into thinking he was headed for Richmond. On 3 May, . . . — — Map (db m1797) HM
The original house was built in 1765 by Thomas Walker, explorer and pioneer. Tarleton, raiding Charlottesville to capture Jefferson and the legislature, stopped here for breakfast, June 4, 1781. This delay aided the patriots to escape. Castle Hill . . . — — Map (db m22439) HM
After reinforcements from Brig. Gen "Mad" Anthony Wayne arrived on 10 June 1781, the Marquis de Lafayette moved south from his camp on the Rapidan River to prevent further raids by Gen. Charles Cornwallis British troops encamped at Elk Hill. By 13 . . . — — Map (db m22617) HM
Extending from the Orange County line on the north to the outskirts of Charlottesville with the Southwest Mountains forming its spine, this historic district encompasses more than 31,000 acres and contains some of the Piedmont’s most pristine and . . . — — Map (db m17447) HM
Just north was a classical school conducted by the Rev. James Maury, rector of Fredericksville Parish from 1754 to 1769. Thomas Jefferson was one of Maury’s students. Matthew Fontaine Maury, the “Pathfinder of the Seas,” was Maury’s . . . — — Map (db m17459) HM
A bequest of Samuel Miller (1792–1869) provided funds to found the Miller School in 1878. Miller, a Lynchburg businessman born in poverty in Albemarle County, envisioned a regional school for children who could not afford an education. . . . — — Map (db m21699) HM
Ben Brown and other newly freed slaves, who
founded the community after the Civil
War, first named the settlement Egypt and then Bethel.
About 1881, the community became known as Proffit when the Virginia Midland Railway placed
a stop here, . . . — — Map (db m16946) HM
Here stands the Barclay House, built about 1830, later the home of Dr. James Turner Barclay, inventor for the U. S. Mint and missionary to Jerusalem. He founded the adjacent Diciples Church in 1846 and served as its first preacher. It is now the . . . — — Map (db m17995) HM
Ferries In Virginia
The James, York, Rappahannock and smaller rivers were the primary means of commercial transportation in Virginia until the advent of railroads in the mid-1800’s. In most locations ferries provided the only way to cross . . . — — Map (db m14527) HM
James A. Brown began operating a store and ferry at this site on rented property in the late 1870’s. In 1881 he bought the land from S. P. Gantt at which time the store became a stop on the Richmond and Alleghany Railroad. Two years later, Brown was . . . — — Map (db m12882) HM
Five miles southwest of here is the Hatton Ferry on the James River which began operating in the 1870s. James A. Brown established the ferry and a store on land first rented and then purchased from S.P. Gantt in 1881. In 1883 when a post office was . . . — — Map (db m88501) HM
History of Hatton Ferry.
The Hatton Ferry began operation in 1870, when Buckingham County authorities issued a court order to construct a public ferry across the James River to the Albemarle County lands of Thomas P. Gantt (ca. 1846-1896), a . . . — — Map (db m99392) HM
In 1745 old Albemarle County was organized at Scott’s landing, its first county seat, here on the great horseshoe bend of the James River. In 1818 the town was incorporated as Scottsville, beginning in 1840 it flourished as the chief port above . . . — — Map (db m17894) HM
On August 20, 1969, flood waters of the James River rose to this point as an aftermath of Hurricane Camille causing great loss to the people of Scottsville.
This plaque was erected to remind all who read it of the vulnerability of mortal man to . . . — — Map (db m17948) HM
At 3 p.m. on Monday, March 6, 1865, the first of Union Gen. Philip H. Sheridan’s 10,000 cavalrymen under Gens. Wesley Merritt, Thomas Devin, and George A. Custer entered Scottsville unopposed. To accomplish their mission—destroy the
James . . . — — Map (db m17844) HM
In memory of the soldiers who died in the Confederate General Hospital in Scottsville
Beattie, F.M. Co. H 23 NC
Boyle, Andrew Co. D 41 VA
Brashear, Denis P. Co. E 4 AL
Clark, Henry Co. E 15 AL
Clark, Hosey L. Co. F 2 MS . . . — — Map (db m22784) HM
Just to the south was Mount Warren, the home of Wilson Cary Nicholas. He served in the Continental army, represented Albemarle County in the General Assembly (1784–1789, 1794–1799), and was a delegate to the Virginia Convention of 1788 . . . — — Map (db m19406) HM
The land was patented in 1735. The old house was built in 1790; the new in 1828. Here lived Thomas Mann Randolph, governor of Virginia 1819–1922, who married Martha, daughter of Thomas Jefferson. — — Map (db m17335) HM
Thomas Jefferson—author of the Declaration of Independence, third president of the United States, and founder of the University of Virginia—was born near this site on 13 April 1743. His father, Peter Jefferson (1708–1757), a . . . — — Map (db m17306) HM
This estate was the home of James Monroe, fifth president of the United States. In 1793, James and Elizabeth Kortright Monroe purchased 1,000 acres adjoining Jefferson’s Monticello. Called Highland, the plantation, eventually totaling 3,500 acres, . . . — — Map (db m23437) HM
The house was built about 1770 by workmen engaged in building Monticello. Mazzei, an Italian, lived here for some years adapting grape culture to Virginia. Baron de Riedesel, captured at Saratoga in 1777, lived here with his family, 1779–1780. . . . — — Map (db m21952) HM
In Loving Memory of Kate Waller Barrett, 1859-1925 First President American Legion Auxiliary Department of Virginia 1922 National President American Legion Auxiliary 1923
This Tablet . . . — — Map (db m72401) HM
George Washington's 1749 Survey shows this lot fronting the Potomac River.
The original house on this site was built in 1783. It was destroyed in the great fire of January 18, 1827, which consumed 53 houses and numerous outbuildings in Old Town. . . . — — Map (db m71794) HM
Text, upper half of marker panel:
This house, built by Emmanuel Jones by 1888, stands at the corner of a block that witnessed the extremes of 19th century African American experience. From a slave trading company to significant . . . — — Map (db m46124) HM
Civil War Dead
An estimated 700,000 Union and Confederate soldiers died in the Civil War between April 1861 and April 1865. As the death toll rose, the U.S. government struggled with the urgent but unplanned need to bury fallen Union troops. . . . — — Map (db m92115) HM
Did you know that you traverse the District of Columbia, Maryland, and Virginia when you cross this bridge? The brass lines in the walkway mark the boundaries. They also commemorate the cooperation required to build this bridge.
Follow the . . . — — Map (db m60241) HM
“Alexandria is ours,” declared Col. Orlando Wilcox of the 1st Michigan Vol. Inf. as his regiment captured the city on the morning of May 24, 1861. When Virginia's vote of secession became effective, Union forces immediately crossed the . . . — — Map (db m159) HM
On 17 Dec. 1785, George Washington endowed a school here in the recently established Alexandria Academy “for the purpose of educating orphan children.” In 1812, an association of free African Americans founded its own school here in . . . — — Map (db m813) HM
Buried beneath this canal stone lies Lock #3 of the Alexandria Canal, which connected the Harbor of Alexandria with the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal in Georgetown, D.C. between 1843 and 1886. After Crossing the Potomac on an aqueduct bridge near the . . . — — Map (db m80668) HM
On 21 August 1939, five young African American men applied for library cards at the new Alexandria Library to protest its whites-only policy. After being denied, William Evans, Edward Gaddis, Morris Murray, Clarence Strange, and Otto L. Tucker each . . . — — Map (db m82774) HM
Securing the Capital
On May 24, 1861, Gen. Winfield Scott ordered eleven regiments of Union troops from Washington, D.C., across the Potomac River, where they captured Arlington and Alexandria.
After their defeat in July at Manassas, . . . — — Map (db m92113) HM
Three railroads developed in Alexandria during the mid-19th century, a period of limited industrial expansion for the City. Alexandrians had a invested heavily in the Alexandria Canal which opened in 1843, giving the city access to the rich . . . — — Map (db m72379) HM
Chartered A.D. 1788
Destroyed by Fire May 19, A.D. 1871
Rebuilt A.D. 1874
Adolf Cluss - Architect
This plaque mounted in cooperation with the City of Alexandria
by the Alexandria-Washington Lodge No. 22
Ancient Free and . . . — — Map (db m69947) HM
Wording on stone tablet to left:
County seat of Fairfax 1742-1800
Organized 13th July, 1749
Incorporated by the Assembly of Virginia 1779
Ceded to the Federal Government 1789
First boundary . . . — — Map (db m69923) HM WM
Alfred Street Baptist Church is home to the oldest
African American congregation in Alexandria,
dating to the early 19th century. It has served as a
prominent religious, educational, and cultural
institution. In 1818, the congregation, then . . . — — Map (db m14623) HM
Established in 1792, this was the first financial institution authorized by the General Assembly of Virginia. The building was completed in 1807. It is one of the oldest surviving commercial structures in Alexandria and is a fine local example of . . . — — Map (db m81250) HM
Historical Site Defenses of Washington 1861-1865 Battery Rodgers
Here stood Battery Rodgers, built in 1863 to prevent enemy ships from passing up the Potomac River. The battery had a perimeter of 30 yards and mounted five 200 pounder Parrott . . . — — Map (db m41413) HM
African Americans escaping slavery found refuge in Alexandria after Union troops occupied the city in 1861. The Rev. Clement “Clem” Robinson established the First Select Colored School in 1862. Hundreds of students registered for day and . . . — — Map (db m98079) HM
Two bombproofs, each measuring 200 feet long by 12.5 feet wide, were located in the center of Fort Ward. During normal operations the bombproofs were used as meeting rooms, storage facilities, and sometimes as a prison. In the event of an attack, . . . — — Map (db m7716) HM
This monument marks the trail taken by the army of General Braddock which left Alexandria on April 20, 1755 to defend the western frontier against the French and Indians.
Erected by the Society of Colonial Dames of America . . . — — Map (db m7567) HM
Brigadier General Montgomery D. Corse, CSA
Born here in 1816, died Alexandria 1895.
Volunteer, Mexican War 1846-1848.
Prospector in California,
Commander, 17th Virginia Infantry Regiment, CSA.
Post-war civic leader and banker.
Buried . . . — — Map (db m65489) HM
Josiah Watson, a wealthy merchant and postmaster of Alexandria, established his 272-acre plantation, “Bush Hill”, in 1791. Richard Marshall Scott purchased the plantation in 1791; his family stayed here for 200 years. Scott was an . . . — — Map (db m2610) HM
Built 1816-18 by
Capt. James McGuire
Occupied for much of his
Alexandria ministry by
Rev. Samuel Cornelius, Pastor
First Baptist Church, 1824-41
Restored 1964-65 by
Mr. & Mrs. John Page Elliott
Alexandria Historical Restoration . . . — — Map (db m66551) HM
For over a century, this two-acre block was occupied by a mansion known as Colross. Built in 1800 by John Potts, the mansion, with its outbuildings, gardens, orchard, and a "clover lot" was in effect a small plantation.
Colross's owners . . . — — Map (db m72384) HM
The Contrabands and Freedmen Cemetery Memorial is dedicated to honoring more than 1,700 people of African descent buried here during and following the Civil War, as well as those who may have been laid to rest after the cemetery officially . . . — — Map (db m77244) HM WM
Seeking freedom and a chance to begin a new life thousands of African Americans fleeing slavery flooded Civil War-era Alexandria. The city was quickly overwhelmed, and as living conditions grew dire, many perished from disease and deprivation. In . . . — — Map (db m86652) HM
In 1791, surveyors on Jones Point began to lay out the ten-mile square that would become Washington, D.C. The first marker for the survey—the south cornerstone—was set in place on this spot. Although the stone within this protective . . . — — Map (db m60162) HM
As Planning Director (1977-1984) Engin Artemel led the City of Alexandria in planning for the transformation of its industrial waterfront to one that can be enjoyed by visitors and residents alike. Inspired by beautiful active urban waterfronts in . . . — — Map (db m99596) HM
The Fort Ward entrance gate, completed in May 1865, provided the only access to the interior of the fort. The gate's decorative details include stands of cannonballs and the insignia (castle) of the Army Corps of Engineers which designed and . . . — — Map (db m7680) HM
Episcopal High School, on the hill to the southwest, was founded in 1839 as a boys' preparatory school, one of the first in the South; girls were admitted in 1991. The school was a pioneer in the establishment of student honor codes in preparatory . . . — — Map (db m7559) HM
With Alexandria under British control in August 1814, top-ranking U.S. military men gathered at this high point above the city. President Madison conferred with Secretary of the Navy William Jones, Brigadier General John Hungerford, and U.S. Navy . . . — — Map (db m81243) HM
This stone taken from the canal of the Potomac Company of which Washington and Fitzgerald were Directors commemorates the erection of the First Catholic Church in Virginia, A. D. 1795, which stood until 1839 about twenty feet behind this . . . — — Map (db m79678) HM
Panel 1 - upper middle of east face:
The First Presbyterian Church of Alexandria founded A.D. 1772 House of worship erected 1774. Destroyed by lightning July 20, 1835. Rebuilt on the same lot A.D. 1836.
Panel 2 - . . . — — Map (db m77843) HM
This corner of the cemetery was probably reserved for members of the U.S. Colored Troops, some of whom were veterans of battles like the siege of Petersburg and the Battle of the Crater. In 1864, a group of USCT convalescing at L'Ouveruture Hospital . . . — — Map (db m87058) HM
Fort Ellsworth, one of 68 earthen forts built to protect Washington during the Civil War, was constructed in 1861. When completed, the fort had a perimeter of 618 yards and was an irregular Vauban-type star design of French origin. The fort was . . . — — Map (db m45046) HM
Historical Site Defenses of Washington 1861-1865 Fort Ward Here stands Fort Ward, constructed in 1861 to protect the approaches to Alexandria by Little River Turnpike and Leesburg Turnpike. In 1864, the fort was enlarged to a perimeter of 818 . . . — — Map (db m41117) HM
7934 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 7734