Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Carroll County Indiana Historical Markers

 
Obverse View - - Burlington Marker image, Touch for more information
By Courtesy:: Marilyn S. Wolf, May 22, 2011
Obverse View - - Burlington Marker
Indiana (Carroll County), Burlington — Burlington
Laid out in 1828 by David Stipp. Promoted for seat of a new county to be made partly from the Great Miami Reserve, which began two mile east. The Lafayette & Muncie Road crossed the Great Michigan Road here. It was an important stage stop, mill . . . — Map (db m42709) HM
Indiana (Carroll County), Burnettsville — Burnett's Creek Arch
Built in 1840 for Burnett's Creek to pass under Wabash and Erie Canal — Map (db m35488) HM
Indiana (Carroll County), Camden — Camden / Jackson Township
Side A Camden When the School Section, No. 16, was sold in 1832 Wm. Crooks, School Commissioner, reserved 16 acres and had a town site laid out by John Armstrong, Co. Surveyor. Col. Crooks (1787 - 1861) (War of 1812) kept the first . . . — Map (db m42713) HM
Indiana (Carroll County), Cutler — Adams Mill
In 1831 John Adams, Pennsylvania, built a saw mill here. In 1832 he entered land, in 1835-36 added a flouring mill. The present building was erected in 1845, restored by M. & Mrs. Claude Sheets in 1840. Boliver Village was platted around the mill in . . . — Map (db m42694) HM
Indiana (Carroll County), Cutler — Wild Cat Lodge No. 311F. & A. M.
Organized June 25, 1864, the Lodge used the third floor of the Adams Mill as meeting place until autumn 1867, one of two known Masonic Lodges in Indiana to have started life in a flour mill. — Map (db m42708) HM
Indiana (Carroll County), Delphi — Carrollton on the Wabash
90 lots platted in 1836 on both sides of Wabash - Erie Canal lock.

A Post office in 1838 - 39. The lock passed canal boats into the river on the pool of the Great Dam at Pittsburg five miles below. The mules carried the towline across the . . . — Map (db m35413) HM
Indiana (Carroll County), Delphi — Civil War Memorial - Carroll County IndianaIn Memory of Her Soldiers and Sailors
(Bronze Plaque - East Side): Erected by Carroll County Indiana In Memory of her Soldiers and Sailors ( Battles Listed on Upper Shaft ): South Side -- Shiloh / Stone River East Side -- Antietam / Gettysburg North Side -- . . . — Map (db m20798) WM
Indiana (Carroll County), Delphi — Delphi
Named and platted in 1828 by Gen. Samuel Milroy, on 100 acres donated by Wm. Wilson for the seat of Carroll Co., named for Charles Carroll, last surviving signer of the Declaration of Independence. Henry Robinson was the first settler. . . . — Map (db m1154) HM
Indiana (Carroll County), Delphi — Mentzer TavernGrantham's Overlook
Carrollton on the Wabash The Mentzer Tavern was built in 1840 at the north end of the Carrollton Towing Path Bridge that crossed the Wabash River. Erected by Ignatius Mentzer and George Friday, it opened as a cooper shop where barrels were made . . . — Map (db m35438) HM
Indiana (Carroll County), Delphi — 08.1966.1 — New Purchase Boundary(Treaty of St. Mary’s)
In October 1818, Purchasing Commissioners Lewis Cass, Benjamin Parke and Governor Johnathan Jennings acquired Indian claims on the land shown on this marker. About one-third of modern Indiana was involved in this transaction. — Map (db m1152) HM
Indiana (Carroll County), Delphi — Samuel MilroyChild of the American Revolution
[front of marker] Samuel Milroy was born 1780 in Pennsylvania and is a "Child of the American Revolution". His father served as a Patriot in the war for Independence. In 1826, at the age of 46, Samuel moved to Carroll County and built a . . . — Map (db m7538) HM
Indiana (Carroll County), Delphi — Site of Cabin Home Gen. Samuel Milroy
Site of Cabin Home Gen. Samuel Milroy 1826 On the banks o' Deer Crick — Map (db m7539) HM
Indiana (Carroll County), Delphi — Spanish American War Veterans Gave Their Cannon
. . . — Map (db m20803) HM
Indiana (Carroll County), Delphi — The Carrollton Bridge
Front The Wabash & Erie Canal meets the Wabash River Carroll County Wabash & Erie Canal Delphi, Indiana See Photo #2: 1844 Timber Truss Bridge The Wabash and Erie Canal authorities built the first bridge here in . . . — Map (db m35445) HM
Indiana (Carroll County), Delphi — The Wabash & Erie CanalOperating The Canal
Front The Longest Canal in North America Carroll County Wabash & Erie Canal Delphi, Indiana The Wabash & Erie Canal extended 468 miles from Toledo, Ohio to Evansville, Indiana On March 2, 1827, a Congressional land grant made . . . — Map (db m35449) HM
Indiana (Carroll County), Delphi — Trail of DeathSeptember 10, 1838 — "Winnemac's" Old Village
Here at Chief Winamac's old village, about 900 Potawatomi Indians camped on their forced removal from Indiana to Kansas. A child and a man died here during the encampment. They also left behind 24 too sick to continue. — Map (db m35399) HM
Indiana (Carroll County), Delphi — 08.1992.1 — Wabash and Erie Canal
Constructed 1832-1853, canal was nation's longest, connecting Lake Erie at Toledo with Ohio River at Evansville. Key portion in Carroll County included Deer Creek Lake Dam, constructed 1838-1840 (1 mile west). Various canal structures are still in . . . — Map (db m7540) HM
Indiana (Carroll County), Flora — FloraThe Garden Spot of Indiana
Flora’s Station, on the Logansport, Crawfordsville and Southwestern Ry., was platted in 1872 for John Flora on land entered by him in 1829. Ino Post Office established 1872, changed to Flora in 1873. Also called Fountain City from flowing wells. . . . — Map (db m42711) HM
Indiana (Carroll County), Flora — Flora War Memorials
( Memorial Tree Plaque ) This tree planted in memory of Earl R. Albaugh Joseph K. Clark Roscoe C. Kirkpatrick Clarence A. Wiles “Who died in Service” ( World War II - Plaque ) For God and Country . . . — Map (db m42749) WM
Indiana (Carroll County), Pittsburg — Trail of Death — Pleasant Run
On September 11, 1838, about 850 Potawatomi Indians camped at Pleasant Run, having traveled 17 miles that day on the forced removal from Indiana to Kansas. — Map (db m35400) HM
Indiana (Carroll County), Pyrmont — Pyrmont / 1812 Hopkins’ Expedition
Pyrmont. John Wagner built a dam, race and sqw mill about a mile South in 1833 and added a grist mill. He sold to John Fisher who sold to John Fetterhoff who built a large frame mill. Joel Wagoner, James Allen, Elias Morkert, J. J. Cripe, Wm. . . . — Map (db m40455) HM
Indiana (Carroll County), Wheeling — 08.1963.1 — Sycamore Row
This row of sycamores sprouted from freshly cut logs used in the 1830's to corduroy a swampy section of the historic Michigan Road, the first state road in Indiana, running from Madison to Michigan City. — Map (db m42664) HM

22 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.