The area known as Cannon’s Ferry is a long-standing community that has been shaped by the Chowan river. In 1794, Jacob Cannon of Perquimans County purchased for $126.00 in gold and silver “one-third part of the Land Plantation of Houses and . . . — — Map (db m60669) HM
The Chowan River has played an important role in North Carolina’s history and economy. It is part of the Albemarle-Pamlico Estuarine System (the second largest estuarine system in the United States) and is one of the smaller basins in North . . . — — Map (db m60665) HM
Cannon’s Ferry has a long tradition of herring fishing. Years ago this site had numerous fishing houses where individual fishermen would store their boat and gear and could process their catch.
In the mid 1940S, twelve local fishermen decided . . . — — Map (db m60666) HM
After Union Gen. Ambrose E. Burnside captured Roanoke Island in February 1862, U.S. Navy vessels patrolled the Chowan River from its mouth in North Carolina to Franklin, Virginia, located on the Blackwater River, a tributary. The Chowan River here . . . — — Map (db m60626) HM
Bought in France for N.C. by Robt. Smith & Thos. Benbury agents for Governor Caswell. Brought to Edenton by Capt. Boritz on "The Holy Heart of Jesus" in 1778. Mounted on this spot 1861. Spiked and trunnions broken off by Federal Fleet 1862. . . . — — Map (db m34965) HM
On May 5, 1864, the Confederate ironclad ram CSS Albemarle under Commander James W. Cooke, with gunboats Cotton Plant and Bombshell, steamed out of the Roanoke River into Bachelor's Bay and Albemarle Sound before you, bound for . . . — — Map (db m34832) HM
Organized in March 1862 under the leadership of Capt. William Badham Jr., Lt. John M. Jones, and Lt. Nelson McClees, the Edenton Bell Battery was composed of men primarily from Chowan, Tyrrell, and Washington Counties. Lacking adequate artillery, . . . — — Map (db m34835) HM
On this site, from 1895 to 1983, stood the new Methodist Church of Edenton. It was a brick structure, a model of elegance and arrangement. The building replaced a wooden church that was located on Eden Street from 1857 to 1895.
Prior to that . . . — — Map (db m57076) HM
Now one of Edenton's most tranquil locations, during the antebellum period Edenton harbor was the town's industrial center with wharves, shipyards, and maritime activity.
North Carolina's small, ill-protected harbors prevented development of . . . — — Map (db m34770) HM
Originally constructed in 1886 by the US Lighthouse Service, the Lighthouse served as a navigational beacon to Mariners on the Albemarle Sound. The Light marked the entrance to the Roanoke River which was the main commercial passageway to the town . . . — — Map (db m34837) HM
James Iredell (1751-1799), Attorney General of North Carolina, 1779 to 1781. Fought for NC's ratification of the United States Constitution. Nominated Associate Justice of the first US Supreme Court Feb. 8, 1790 by President George Washington, . . . — — Map (db m34967) HM