Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Coshocton County Ohio Historical Markers

 
Dr. William Edgar Lower Co/Founder of Cleveland Clinic Marker image, Touch for more information
By Peter Arthur Lower Rodgers, 2008
Dr. William Edgar Lower Co/Founder of Cleveland Clinic Marker
Ohio (Coshocton County), Chili — Dr. William Edgar Lower Co-Founder of Cleveland Clinic
Dr. Lower was born May 6, 1867 and reared on a farm near Chili, Ohio, Crawford Twp. He attended Chili School and graduated from Western Reserve University Medical School in 1891. Dr. Lower performed the first leg amputation in 1898. In 1900 he . . . — Map (db m69144) HM
Ohio (Coshocton County), Coshocton — Bouquet’s Camp
On the hill north of here was made, in 1764. The memorable treaty which brought almost continuous peace between the Indians and the Whites. The expedition of 1500 men, under Col. Henry Bouquet, marched from Fort Pitt reaching the Forks of the . . . — Map (db m3289) HM
Ohio (Coshocton County), Coshocton — 1-16 — Bouquet’s Expedition
1764. Lt.Col. Henry Bouquet with 1500 British regulars and American Militia penetrated the Ohio wilderness to crush Chief Pontiac’s Indian conspiracy. Here at the forks of the Muskingum River during October and November, Bouquet subdued the . . . — Map (db m3286) HM
Ohio (Coshocton County), Coshocton — Broadhead Massacre
Around the spring nearby, was perpetrated, on April 20, 1781, the massacre of 20 Indians by Col. Daniel Broadhead's army of 300. This slaying was committed following destruction, the same day, of the two villages, Goschachgunk, (Coshocton) and . . . — Map (db m14707) HM
Ohio (Coshocton County), Coshocton — Congressional Medal of Honor RecipientsState of Ohio, Coshocton County
United States of America Congressional Medal of Honor Recipients State of Ohio, Coshocton County Civil War Elson, James M. Sergeant Mississippi 1863 — Map (db m14716) HM
Ohio (Coshocton County), Coshocton — Coshocton County Korean War MemorialJune 1950 -July 1953 — The Forgotten War
In memory of all who served and gave the ultimate sacrifice including the following from Coshocton County         Francis E. Appis                 Charles D. Rubel         George H. Babcock            Hubert W. Shurtz         Ralph R. Carr . . . — Map (db m14708) WM
Ohio (Coshocton County), Coshocton — Coshocton County Vietnam War Memorial
This memorial is dedicated to those who served, those who died, and those still missing. Erected by Coshocton County Vietnam Veterans of America Chapter 159 with the support of the citizens of Coshocton County Killed in Action Michael S. . . . — Map (db m14718) HM
Ohio (Coshocton County), Coshocton — Coshocton County War Memorial
Courage In lasting tribute to the sons & daughters of Coshocton County who served in the wars of their country Let none forget, they gave their all And faltered not, when came the call To keep forever living the Freedom for which they served — Map (db m14721) HM
Ohio (Coshocton County), Coshocton — Delaware Nation Council House
Goschachgunk (Blackbear Town), now Coshocton, was the capital city of the Delaware Nation. On this parkway stood their Council House. In this House on March 9, 1777, a Great Council of the Delawares, under the leadership of Chief White Eyes, met and . . . — Map (db m300) HM
Ohio (Coshocton County), Coshocton — Raymond M. Hay
1904–1984. Beautification of this courthouse square was provided through funds bequeathed to the Coshocton Rotary Club and the Coshocton Foundation by Raymond M. Hay. Raymond Hay operated Hay Jewelry for many years and was well known and . . . — Map (db m297) HM
Ohio (Coshocton County), Coshocton — 5-16 — The Coshocton County Courthouse
In 1764, Colonel Henry Bouquet established the site of what is now Coshocton. In 1811, the county was founded and the town incorporated as the county seat. The Coshocton County Courthouse, the third on this site, was built between 1873 and 1875 by . . . — Map (db m298) HM
Ohio (Coshocton County), Coshocton — Visitor Center - 1992
The present Visitor Center opened in 1992, relocating from a smaller building. The Visitor Center houses a fifty-four seat theater, an exhibit hall with canal-related information, visitor services and offices for support staff. The Founders Gallery . . . — Map (db m97312) HM
Ohio (Coshocton County), Coshocton — 8-16 — William GreenMarch 3, 1870 – November 21, 1952
William Green, President of the American Federation of Labor from 1924 until his death, 1852, began his amazing and strenuous climb to the top run of labor's ladder at age 16, in the Morgan Run Coal Mines in Coshocton County. Born in Coshocton . . . — Map (db m299) HM
Ohio (Coshocton County), Coshocton — William’s Tavern
On this site stood the Tavern of Charles "King Charley" Williams, first permanent white settler in Coshocton County. A native of Maryland, and born in 1764, Williams came here in 1801. He died in 1840. The dominant figure of his generation, he was . . . — Map (db m344) HM
Ohio (Coshocton County), Fresno — 9-16 — North Appalachian Experimental Watershed
Agricultural development and cultivation on steep lands led to severe soil erosion in the nation in the 1920s and 1930s. In response, the United States Department of Agriculture established the Soil Conservation Service SCS) in 1935. The SCS . . . — Map (db m120131) HM
Ohio (Coshocton County), Plainfield — 3-16 — George W. Crile, M. D.(1864 - 1943)
[Marker Front]: George Washington Crile was born in 1864 at Chili, in Crawford Township, Coshocton County. Before embarking on his notable medical career, he graduated from Northwestern Ohio Normal School (now Ohio Northern University) at . . . — Map (db m15178) HM
Ohio (Coshocton County), Plainfield — 4-16 — Plainfield Cemetery
This cemetery, established in 1810, is the final resting place of many of the founders of Plainfield and Linton Township. Besides the early date of its founding, it is notable for the number of armed forces veterans interred here, who represent . . . — Map (db m15275) HM
Ohio (Coshocton County), Roscoe — 24 Star Flag(1822 - 1836)
This flag was created when Missouri was added to the Union. It was the first flag to be called “Old Glory” and to be recognized by the Army. — Map (db m27384) HM
Ohio (Coshocton County), Roscoe — Caldersburgh Pearl -2001
The Caldersburgh Pearl was dedicated in 2001 as a full-sized replica of a three-cabin canal freighter (65' x 14'). The name Caldersburgh Pearl has special significance to Roscoe's past. Caldersburgh was the name of the original community (early . . . — Map (db m27359) HM
Ohio (Coshocton County), Roscoe — Daniel Boyd House - c.1825
This house was built c.1825 by Daniel Boyd, a weaver. Some time in the 1830s, and in the face of financial difficulties, Daniel and Jane Boyd deeded the house to the Methodist Episcopal Church to be the church parsonage. Originally located in . . . — Map (db m27368) HM
Ohio (Coshocton County), Roscoe — Daniel Carroll House - c.1850
C.1850-1860, this building housed a grocery store operated by Daniel Carroll. — Map (db m26406) HM
Ohio (Coshocton County), Roscoe — Dr. Maro Johnson's House - c.1833
From 1833-1841 this property was owned by Joseph Kerr Johnson, father of John and David Johnson of the Johnson-Humrickhouse Museum and no relation to Maro Johnson. Built c.1833-1838, the house and property were purchased by Maro Johnson and John . . . — Map (db m27369) HM
Ohio (Coshocton County), Roscoe — Dr. Maro Johnson's Office - 1842
In 1842, Maro Johnson purchased a portion of lot #2. The deed read that Johnson had to have the property paid for and a respectable building erected on it within one year. Those terms were met. The building became Dr. Johnson's office. — Map (db m27382) HM
Ohio (Coshocton County), Roscoe — George LeRetilley House - 1853
George LeRetilley, a Roscoe merchant and a son of James LeRetilley Sr, built this as his home in 1853. It remains a private residence. — Map (db m25621) HM
Ohio (Coshocton County), Roscoe — Hay Craft and Learning Center - 1987
This building, dedicated in the spring of 1987, was named in honor of Raymond Hay as a lasting memorial to the late Coshocton businessman for the many contributions he made to the Roscoe Village restoration and to Coschocton County. It is also . . . — Map (db m26403) HM
Ohio (Coshocton County), Roscoe — Jacob Welsh House - c.1840
This house, built by 1840, was the home of Jacob Welsh. Welsh is on record as having been a toll collector from 1836-1837. Being a favorite of Mrs. Frances Montgomery, one of the founders of the restoration project, this was the first building . . . — Map (db m26404) HM
Ohio (Coshocton County), Roscoe — James LeRetilley Building - 1847
James LeRetilley Sr. purchased the building in 1849, a year before his death. In 1825, he moved to Caldersburgh from Muskingum County and opened a general store. He was the first postmaster in Caldersburgh (1826). After the canal opened, LeRetilley . . . — Map (db m27381) HM
Ohio (Coshocton County), Roscoe — James Taylor House (Reconstructed) - 1971
James Taylor, owner of a Coshocton woolen mill, built a house and possibly the fruit cellar on this lot in 1826. Taylor moved to California in 1840. Subsequent owners include David Frew, a miller, farmer, and a postmaster, and Daniel Rose, a . . . — Map (db m27383) HM
Ohio (Coshocton County), Roscoe — Old Warehouse400 Whitewoman Street North
Built in 1831, this “Old Warehouse” was used to store large quantities of grain, hides, wool and produce. There was a dry goods store on the upper level. Known as the “Mill Store” in the 1830's, this was the natural place . . . — Map (db m27379) HM
Ohio (Coshocton County), Roscoe — Village Smithy - c.1890
Roscoe has a long history with blacksmithing, but not always at this location. Originally consisting of a two-story center section with a one-story south wing, our smithy was constructed c.1890 as a stable. In 1905, the original south wing was . . . — Map (db m26405) HM
Ohio (Coshocton County), Roscoe — William Roscoe Building - 1840
Since its construction, this has always been a retail building: at one time a grocery store and once a mortuary. The upper floors contain private apartments. The building is named after William Roscoe, an English poet and abolitionist. — Map (db m27380) HM
Ohio (Coshocton County), Roscoe — Wilson Jacob House - c.1890
. . . — Map (db m27378) HM
Ohio (Coshocton County), Roscoe Village — 7-16 — Underground Railroad Agents in Coshocton County / Muskingum River Underground Railroad Corridor
Side A: The acknowledged host of the Underground Railroad in Coshocton County was Prior Foster, a well respected African American who lodged fugitive slaves in his shanty at Harbaugh Corner. He fed, sheltered, and clothed them and then . . . — Map (db m36227) HM
Ohio (Coshocton County), Warsaw — 2-16 — Colonel William Simmons1757 - 1823
Served in the Continental Army under the command of General Washington. Appointed as Accountant of the War Department by Washington and served under Presidents Adams, Jefferson and Madison. For his services in the Continental Army, received a land . . . — Map (db m14872) HM
Ohio (Coshocton County), Warsaw — Franklin J. Fischer Addition
Opened in September, 1999 This fifteen-acre addition to the Valley View Cemetery was purchased in 1998 from Robert Bailey. The addition is named for Franklin J. Fischer because of his dedication, commitment, and service to the Valley View . . . — Map (db m14727) HM
Ohio (Coshocton County), Warsaw — Scout Headquarters
. . . — Map (db m14729) HM
Ohio (Coshocton County), West Lafayette — 6-16 — KoquechagachtonChief White Eyes
In the early 1770s, Chief White Eyes (Koquechagachton) of the Delaware tribe founded White Eyes Town approximately two miles southeast of this marker on a plain near present day West Lafayette. A friend of the Moravian leader David Zeisberger, White . . . — Map (db m15175) HM
Ohio (Coshocton County), West Lafayette — Old Stone Fort
Ohio Society National Society Colonial Dames XVII Century Old Stone Fort believed to have been built by De’Iberville, LaSalle’s successor, who built French forts in the Mississippi Valley, 1679 to 1689. He located one northeast . . . — Map (db m89216) HM
Ohio (Coshocton County), West Lafayette — Pennsylvania National Guard Troop Train Accident, September 1950
In the early morning hours of September 11, 1950, Pennsylvania National Guard Troop Train #4, disabled 3/4 mile east of this monument, was struck in the rear by the passenger train, Spirit of St. Louis, resulting in the deaths of 33 soldiers. . . . — Map (db m15271) HM
Ohio (Coshocton County), West Lafayette — West Lafayette Volunteer Fire Department Centennial
100 Years of Service 1895-1995 1993 Building Addition Chief Gaylord Hill Ass't Chief Glenn Hill Captain Don Lusk • Steve Wilson Lieutenant Ron Lusk • Dallas Hill • Mike Layton Firefighters Jerry Gress • Dave . . . — Map (db m14818) HM
Ohio (Coshocton County), West Lafayette — West Lafayette War Memorial
Dedicated Sunday May 28, 1972 by the citizens of this community in honor of those who served their country in time of war. — Map (db m15452) HM

41 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.