This redwood structure was completed in 1868 by William Chapman Ralston, San Francisco financier, incorporating Count Cipriani’s earlier villa. This enlarged mansion with its mirrored ballroom became the symbol of the extravagance of California's . . . — — Map (db m11230) HM
Chrystal Springs Dam continues to provide the critical link in the delivery of water to the people of the San Francisco Peninsula. Centennial Observation held on this spot by joint resolution of the
San Mateo County Board of . . . — — Map (db m18447) HM
The Anza Expedition of 1776, on its way up the Peninsula to locate sites for the Presidio and the Mission of San Francisco, camped here on March 26 at a dry watercourse a short league beyond Arroyo de San Mateo. Location: El Camino Real and . . . — — Map (db m93310) HM
This first permanent building in the Mission Revival style of architecture was designed by George H. Howard and J. B. Mathison and financed by local residents and the Southern Pacific Railroad. It opened for service on October 10, 1894. The roof . . . — — Map (db m86792) HM
"The prettiest station on the line" - S. F. Chronicle, December 10, 1893.
First opened for service October 10, 1894.
Restored June 14, 1986.
Cal Trans - Save our Station Committee - City of Burlingame
100 years of continuous rail service . . . — — Map (db m14102) HM
An officer for the Town of Hillsborough from April 1, 1956 until his untimely death on August 5, 1959, who made the supreme sacrifice at the hands of a criminal suspect whom he had apprehended. — — Map (db m18330) HM
Kohl Mansion was built by C. Frederick and Elisabeth Kohl in 1914. The Tudor-style mansion, was designed by architects Howard and White. Was the centerpiece of a 40 acre estate called "The Oaks". The property originally included a carriage house, a . . . — — Map (db m25572) HM
Resing & Mc Ginnes
Contractor H.H. Smith
Incorporated as Lawndale
In Aug. 1924. The Town’s name
was changed to Colma in Nov. 1941
Originally the Town Hall
served as a traffic court,
post office, health dept. and . . . — — Map (db m18401) HM
This building memorializes the contributions of the Abbey Land and Improvement Company to the development of Colma. The company established Mount Olivet Memorial Park, the sixth cemetery to be built in Colma, and constructed a streetcar line along . . . — — Map (db m18367) HM
1883 – 1924
Adjacent to this site stood “Cavalli’s Blacksmith Shop” which served the truck farmers in the area.
1883 – 1946
Joe was the first and last sheriff of Lawndale (1924 . . . — — Map (db m29134) HM
Built by Peter Brooks in 1883, serving the needs of tourists, local citizens, mourners, partyers, Clampers, and a host of others ever since.
Dedicated January 15, 1983
Yerba Buena No.1 – Joaquin Murrieta No.13
Sam Brannan . . . — — Map (db m18405) HM
In 1896, the Abbey Land and Improvement Company established Mount Olivet Cemetery. During that year, the company also obtained a franchise from the County of San Mateo to run a street car line from the tracks of the “40 Line” to the . . . — — Map (db m18345) HM
In 1870, Southern Pacific Railroad assumed ownership of the San Francisco and San Jose Railroad, which had originally been opened as an independent railroad in 1863. The second stop south of San Francisco, in what then was the center of the larger . . . — — Map (db m18384) HM
In 1870, Southern Pacific Railroad assumed ownership of the San Francisco and San Jose Railroad, which had originally been opened as an independent railroad in 1863. The second stop south of San Francisco, in what was the center of the larger . . . — — Map (db m18390) HM
This type of railroad signal was introduced, circa 1898, to control the movement of trains and to prevent accidents. The blade moved up or down corresponding with green, yellow or red lights.
Transportation . . . — — Map (db m18389) HM
The famous duel that ended dueling in California was fought in a ravine east of here, near the shore of Lake Merced. In the early morning of September 13, 1859. The participants were U.S. Senator David C. Broderick and Chief Justice David S. Terry . . . — — Map (db m117083) HM
Daly City is usually blanketed with heavy fog and swept by brisk sea breezes from mid-May to mid-September. But while Daly City shivers, the summer fog and sea breezes provide natural air conditioning for the rest of the Bay Area.
The breeze . . . — — Map (db m52114) HM
Here at Thornton Beach, the ground is not as solid as it seems. The ground itself is made up of a semi-consolidate sedimentary rock from here to Mussel Rock. It doesn't hold together well, which makes the coastline very unstable.
Constant . . . — — Map (db m52113) HM
Near this site from 1868-1907 was the 250 acre San Mateo dairy ranch operated by pioneer resident John Daly, for whom Daly City was named upon incorporation of the city in 1911. Among his philanthropic gestures was the opening of his Daly’s Hill . . . — — Map (db m52311) HM
Daniel H. Burnham, called "Father of the City Beautiful Movement," designed Granada, originally Balboa, in 1906, using public plazas, a 640 acre park, oceanfront promenades & boulevards radiating from town center. A masterpiece of urban design. . . . — — Map (db m93315) HM
The whistle of the first Ocean Shore Railroad passenger train from San Francisco to Granada echoed of nearby hills 21 June 1908. On board were 500 San Franciscans, great, good-time-loving people, who were treated to free picnic lunches and sales . . . — — Map (db m92671) HM
In October of 1906, Joseph Debenedetti constructed this two story mission revival commercial style building, which immediately became the center of commerce for Half Moon Bay and the surrounding area. Rising from the ashes of the devastating 1906 . . . — — Map (db m10715) HM
Hotel El Granada, a two-story stucco building in the Mission-style opened in 1908 with twenty guest rooms upstairs and a ballroom downstairs. The town's first commercial building and site of the first post office boasted of piped in water and a . . . — — Map (db m101667) HM
Down to the sea in ships they go, these chosen men of steel. Though mist and foam and northwest wind is pounding at the keel. So sail they must each crispy morn, away from trees and sod. The sea may own their windburned flesh but their souls . . . — — Map (db m14249) HM
The decade of the 1870’s saw an influx of European immigrants into the Half Moon Bay area and over to the coast. Irish, German, Italian, and Portuguese made up the majority of the newcomers whose numbers included merchants, business people, dairy . . . — — Map (db m13747) HM
The Miramar Restaurant opened during Prohibition as the Ocean Beach Hotel, one of many local "speakeasies". Small "Rumrunners", laden with booze from large Canadian ships, prized our covert coves. While the Miramar served its thirsty patrons, . . . — — Map (db m93353) HM
James Johnston, a forty-niner from Ohio, established a homestead on this wild, romantic vista of sloping fields and ocean shore in 1853. For his Californiano bride, Petra Maria de Jara, he built this typical eastern saltbox, whose origins from the . . . — — Map (db m25518) HM
After gold was discovered, the thousands who came to California began to build cities and towns. Today's Half Moon Bay grew upon the Mexican land grant awarded to Mexican soldier Candelario Miramontes.
In 1853 Estanislao Zaballa came from Spain . . . — — Map (db m102405) HM
Near this location on Aug.17, 1905, a masked desperado described as "nine feet high and armed with a small canon" stopped the Half Moon Bay Stagecoach. He angrily demanded driver Ed Campbell to throw down the Wells Fargo Co.'s treasure box, Levy . . . — — Map (db m126865) HM
1880 Originally a blacksmith shop servicing the lumber mills
1920 John Gabrielli turned it into the original Apple Jack's Inn
1949 Babe and Fred Kotoff took over and maintained it in its original condition
1978 Claude . . . — — Map (db m126672) HM
At this site stood the cabin of Christian Iverson the first european settler of record. Built in the 1860’s, the cabin was constructed of hand split redwood and had two rooms. It stood until the Loma Prieta Earthquakde of 1989.
Iverson made his . . . — — Map (db m52221) HM
As the largest local watercourse, San Francisquito Creek played a major role in the lives of native Americans, Spanish explorers and early Anglo settlers of the area.
For perhaps 7,000 years, the native peoples -- called Costanos by . . . — — Map (db m113017) HM
Under this Giant Redwood, the Palo Alto, November 6 to 11, 1769, camped Portola and his band on the expedition that discovered San Francisco Bay. This was the assembling point for their reconnoitering parties. Here in 1774 Padre Palou erected a . . . — — Map (db m41255) HM
This building, constructed in 1867 by the San Francisco and San Jose Railroad Company, is the oldest railroad passenger station in California. The Victorian ornamentation was added in the 1890s when the station was remodeled to serve the . . . — — Map (db m2483) HM
Near "El Palo Alto" the tall tree, the Portola Expedition of 63 men and 200 horses and mules camped. They had traveled from San Diego in search of Monterey but discovered instead the Bay of San Francisco. Finding the bay, too large to go around and . . . — — Map (db m25054) HM
After Stanford University opened in 1891, business increased in nearby Mayfield and Menlo Park, towns dating from the 1850s. Mayfield was a farming center, and Menlo Park a summer home to San Franciscans. Residents of both places rejected Senator . . . — — Map (db m41337) HM
By the time America entered World War II in 1941, the creek had been straightened at its outlet to the Bay near the Palo Alto Municipal Airport. The Army built Dipple General Hospital on land near the creek in Menlo Park. Later, Stanford Research . . . — — Map (db m41353) HM
The San Andreas Fault is the largest earthquake fault in North America. It passes through this point and alongside the tip of the small peninsula straight ahead.
In this area, during the 1906 San Francisco earthquake, the west side of the fault . . . — — Map (db m17165) HM
On November 4, 1769, the expedition of Captain Gaspar de Portola, after crossing Sweeny Ridge, beheld the Bay of San Francisco for the first time. That night they camped at a small lagoon, now covered by San Andreas Lake. Finding the bay too large . . . — — Map (db m70737) HM
During Prohibition, the San Mateo Coast was an ideal spot for rum running, bootleggers and “speakeasies,” establishments which sold illegal booze to thirsty clients.
One of the most successful speakeasies of the era was . . . — — Map (db m64179) HM
Born in Balaguer, Catalonia, Spain • First Governor of California • Founder of San Diego and Monterey •
Discoverer of the Bay of San Francisco on November 4, 1769.
Presented by the President of the Generalitat of Catalonia, the Honorable . . . — — Map (db m1096) HM
Captain Gaspar de Portola camped, October 31, 1769, by the creek at the south side of this valley, and to that camp scouting parties brought news of a body of water to the east. On November 4 the expedition advanced. Turning inland here, they . . . — — Map (db m1095) HM
The home of Francisco Sanchez (B. 1805, D. 1862). Alcalde of San Francisco and Commandante of Militia under the Mexican Republic. Grantee of the 8,926 – acre Rancho San Pedro, and later a respected American citizen. His house built 1842-46. . . . — — Map (db m28732) HM
The Little Brown Church, built by Presbyterians in 1910, served the growing community attracted by the Ocean Shore Railroad.
During World War II, it broadened to become a Red Cross center, well-baby clinic, and teen center. The Reverend Herschel . . . — — Map (db m64832) HM
Año Nuevo Island wasn't always an island! The first Spanish explorers to sail past this place named it Punto Año Nuevo or New Year's Point. The long jutting point has eroded since the 1600s. It is now an island separated from the mainland by a rough . . . — — Map (db m92638) HM
This house was built in 1878, by Edwin Dickerman for his bride Effie Steele. This plaque is in memory of their daughter, Flora, who married Jake Frank Steele. Flora lived in the house from 1881 to 1963. — — Map (db m92641) HM
In the 1890’s Pescadero was known as a resort town boasting two hotels and two saloons. Now one hundred years later, one saloon still operates. Duarte’s Tavern is run by the third and fourth generation of the Duarte family.
Back in the 1890’s, . . . — — Map (db m67516) HM
Built in May 1867, this is the oldest church building on its original site within the San Mateo-Santa Clara County region. Its classical revival style reflects the cultural background of pioneer Yankee settlers of the South San Francisco peninsula . . . — — Map (db m141) HM
This Property Has Been
Placed On The
OF HISTORIC PLACES
By The United States
Department Of The Interior
National Register of Historic Places Statement of Significance:
Building/structure dates: 1890 initial . . . — — Map (db m12539) HM
The Methodist Episcopal Church of Pescadero built between 1889 and 1890 is based on an interpretation of a design presented in a pattern book published by the church. No other Methodist Episcopal churches built from the same plan exist in this . . . — — Map (db m92653) HM
Pre-1800s: Ohlone Indians inhabit the coast
Early 1800s: Spanish name Punta de las Balenas - Whale Point
1850s: Clipper ship Carrier Pigeon wrecks on the rocks that are thereafter called Pigeon Point
1860: Boom and . . . — — Map (db m93355) HM
This brick lighthouse was built to incorporate a French first order Fresnel lens. Although no longer used, the lens is still operable in the lantern room. Previously the lens had been installed at Cape Hatteras, North Carolina. It first flashed over . . . — — Map (db m2541) HM
Beginning in the 1850's the Steele Brothers pioneered one of the first large-scale commercial cheese and dairy businesses in California. They extended their operations from Point Reyes to Rancho Punta de Año Nuevo in 1862. This 7000 acre ranch . . . — — Map (db m92651) HM
Today the cow barn is the visitor center for the Marine Education Center, the horse barn serves as a theater and classroom, and the smaller, two-story creamery building is the volunteer headquarters and park office.
The . . . — — Map (db m92639) HM
This structure, built by Felix Buelna in the 1850s, served as a gambling retreat and meeting place for Mexican-Californios. It was strategically located on the earliest trail used both by rancheros and American settlers crossing the peninsula to the . . . — — Map (db m11992) HM
In 1894 Andrew Hallidie, inventor of San Francisco’s cable cars, built an aerial tramway on his hillside property, Eagle Home Farm. It served as a model for prospective customers. The tramway stretched 7,341 ft from this vicinity to a station near . . . — — Map (db m18467) HM
Built in 1912 this country church was the first executed design of noted architect, Timothy L. Pflueger, who had just begun work for James Miller. An awareness of the Spanish California Missions inspired the style, which contrasts with the large . . . — — Map (db m18463) HM
Portola Primary School was built in 1909. The bell was moved in 1893 from the abandoned Searsville School. The building served as the First town hall when the town of Portola Valley was incorporated in 1964. It was acquired by the town in 1976. . . . — — Map (db m25052) HM
In 1858, Simon M. Mezes donated land to the county so that a courthouse could be built. This is the third courthouse built on this exact site and the forth built in the property. In 1903, the architectural firm of Dodge and Dolliver designed a domed . . . — — Map (db m32621) HM
Principal of Sequoia High School
Superintendent of Sequoia Union High School District
1921 – 1948
In the room at the foot of this tower Mr. Argo and his Board shaped policies of enduring importance to the Sequoia Union High School . . . — — Map (db m41619) HM
Al Terremere is a member of the Sequoia Sports Hall of Fame as both an athlete and a coach. Al was All-League in both football and baseball during his Sequoia playing career, and captured multiple championships in both baseball and football as a . . . — — Map (db m62605) HM
The finest playhouse between San Francisco and San Jose opened here January 20, 1896. In 1921, the building was purchased by Redwood City Masonic Lodge which was instituted August 28, 1863. — — Map (db m62625) HM
California Square was a parcel of land located north of Marshall Street, between Hamilton and Winslow, diagonally located across the street from the Courthouse. The site was originally designated as a public park plaza in the Town of Mezesville . . . — — Map (db m62599) HM
Otis M. Carrington is best remembered as one of the world’s foremost composers of operettas for children. In 1912, Mr. Carrington wrote “The Windmills of Holland”. It was the first of more than forty operettas to come from his hand, and . . . — — Map (db m41602) HM
(Four markers are mounted on this pedestal.)
Diller-Chamberlain General Store
(Quong Lee Laundry)
726 Main Street
J.V. Diller had this one-story brick building constructed in 1859 to house his general store, historically . . . — — Map (db m62623) HM
You are standing over what was once Redwood City’s original waterfront, made up of creeks, tidal basins, and a fresh-water slough, providing the start of lumber, shipping and shipbuilding trades for the area. The tidal basins south of Bradford . . . — — Map (db m62622) HM
The Redwood City Volunteer Fire Department started in 1861, and was the first non-profit organization in San Mateo County. It wasn’t until 1921 when this building at 1044 Middlefield Road was built that the firefighters finally received a salary. . . . — — Map (db m60490) HM
Sequoia High School started September 16, 1895 with 53 students attending classes held on the third floor of the Redwood City Grammar School (replaced by the building now housing the Fox Theatre one block down Broadway). At that time, the building . . . — — Map (db m62621) HM
To the memory of California's Patriotic dead who served during the war for the Union
Erected by the grateful people of San Mateo
All honor to the nations defenders — — Map (db m62672) WM
1st Lieut. 15th U.S. Infty.
Born at Aurora, N.Y.
August 1, 1842
Died at San Francisco
May 15, 1887
At the age of 19 he enlisted in the 1st. Regt. Wis. Volunteer Infty. He fought in the Battles of Falling Water, Chattanoogo (sic), . . . — — Map (db m62670) HM WM
A classic example of early "Steamboat Gothic" architecture erected in 1863 as the residence of San Mateo County's first Clerk, Recorder and Assessor, Benjamin G. Lathrop. Later the residence of General Patrick Edward Connor and Sheriff Joel . . . — — Map (db m25522) HM
This home housed three families of historical significance. B.G. Lathrop who had the house built in 1863 was San Mateo County’s first clerk-recorder and assessor, serving until 1864 when he became Chairman of the Board of Supervisors for San Mateo . . . — — Map (db m62579) HM
This block of Broadway underwent a number of major changes during the first half of the twentieth century.
It started out as the Central Grammar School in 1895 (legally named “Redwood City Public School”) shown at the left above. Part . . . — — Map (db m62580) HM
Simon M. Mezes, owner of the land that now includes most of Downtown Redwood City, donated a block to the newly-formed San Mateo County in 1858 so that a courthouse could be built. There were eventually four courthouses built on this property. . . . — — Map (db m62598) HM
Climate Best by Government Test
This archway sign and slogan is based on the design of two earlier archway signs that once spanned the El Camino Real, designating the northern and southern entryways into Redwood City. A . . . — — Map (db m41623) HM
World War 11
Corporal James Lindsay Wilson
V.F.W. Post No. 2310
to the following Redwood City men
who gave their lives in World War II
1941 – 1945
Raymond J. Barra • Russell V. Braca • Everett F. Bottena • Robert . . . — — Map (db m62846) WM
[Emblems of the California National Guard, United States Air Force, The United States Marine Corps, United States Army, United States Navy, United States Coast Guard, United States Merchant Marines are displayed across the top of the monument.
The . . . — — Map (db m26244) HM
This windmill was built in the 1880’s on the Solari farm, located at Whipple Avenue and Old County Road in Redwood City.
It was move in the 1930’s to the new family farm located on Manzanita Street near Middlefield Road and the railroad tracks, . . . — — Map (db m62671) HM
This reconstructed windmill was originally built in the 1890's on the George Solari family farm which was located near Whipple Avenue and Old County Road in Redwood City. When the area was subdivided in the 1930's, the windmill was moved to the new . . . — — Map (db m93230) HM
Redwood City Historic Landmark No.2
National Register Historic District
This Brick Building was constructed in 1859 as a general store for J.V. Diller, who became Redwood City's first mayor in 1867. From 1875 until 1911, P.P. . . . — — Map (db m25528) HM
Sequoia Union High School was founded in Redwood City in 1895, having two downtown locations before moving to the present site in 1924. With the exception of the Class of 1917, the tradition of installing graduation year plaques began with the first . . . — — Map (db m55258) HM
Union Cemetery's name reflects the controversy that erupted in the Civil War, three years after the cemetery's beginnings in 1859. Pro- and anti- slavery feelings ran high in California, and the founders of the cemetery strongly opposed the . . . — — Map (db m3296) HM
On 18 January 1911, EUGENE ELY flew a Curtis Pusher biplane from this location, Tanforan Park, and landed on a wooden platform constructed aboard the Navy Cruiser USS Pennsylvania anchored in the San Francisco Bay. The first shipboard landing, an . . . — — Map (db m18414) HM
This garden memorializes a time when this site, then the Tanforan Park Racetrack, was transformed into a temporary assembly center for persons of Japanese ancestry. On February 19, 1942, in the absence of charges or due process of law, President . . . — — Map (db m25573) HM
Racetrack opened in 1899 and had racing seasons until it burned down in 1964. Many famous horses raced and won here.
In 1942, Tanforan became a temporary assembly center for over 4000 persons of Japanese ancestry who were to be interned for the . . . — — Map (db m18410) HM
Dedicated to the lasting memory of those from the City of San Carlos and San Carlos High School who gave their lives while serving with the Armed Forces of the United States of America during the Vietnam War and in the Persian Gulf.
They fought . . . — — Map (db m18337) WM
Lat 39 - 04'N • Long 123 - 16'W
Pan American Airways "Philippine Clipper" Martin (M-130) NC-14715
November 14, 1935 - January, 21, 1943
Total hours in the air 14,628. After eight years of flying . . . — — Map (db m92279) HM WM
Southern Pacific constructed this station in 1888 to meet the needs of the new town of San Carlos. The use of the Richardsonian Romanesque Revival style of architecture was exceedingly rare for railroad depots in California. This style and the use . . . — — Map (db m11041) HM
Born June 5, 1884, Santa Ana, California; Died July 15, 1913, Chico, California
Inspired by accounts of the first public flights of Wilber and Orville Wright, Chico resident Thaddeus Kerns constructed and flew a hang glider of his own . . . — — Map (db m92281) HM
Captain Gaspar de Portola and his party of Spanish explorers, journeying overland from San Diego in a fruitless search for Monterey Bay, camped here by San Gregorio Creek for a three day rest and treatment of their sick, October 24-27, 1769. Having . . . — — Map (db m11032) HM
The San Gregorio House was built in 1865 by C.W.T. Carter, and opened in 1866. It is located ten miles south of Half Moon Bay, situated in one of the most beautiful of the coast valleys, being very near the ocean, with a salubrious climate and no . . . — — Map (db m28085) HM
The site of the Central Park is possibly the sole surviving example of the late nineteenth century estates once so numerous on the Peninsula.
Charles B. Polhemus, Director of the San Francisco & San Jose Railroad and founder of Central San . . . — — Map (db m28712) HM
This monument is dedicated by the citizens of San Mateo in gratitude to the men and women of our community who served courageously and unselfishly in the defense of great national peril and in memory of those citizens who made the supreme sacrifice . . . — — Map (db m29183) HM
Two plaques, one above the other
First Business Structure
Public necessity in 1964 required the demolition of the historic house referred to by the accompanying plaque; this marker is placed to perpetuate its memory and to . . . — — Map (db m93314) HM
This authentic historic oriental garden and tea house was first developed in the 1880's by Peninsula pioneer Henry Bowie. The property later became part of the Eugene de Sabla estate. Joan and Achille Paladini, current owners have restored the . . . — — Map (db m93312) HM
Here on the banks of San Mateo Creek Captain J. B. de Anza camped. March 29,1776, after exploring the peninsula and selecting the sites for the Mission and Presidio of San Francisco. Here also the party of families, soldiers, and priests, on the way . . . — — Map (db m18418) HM
In 1923, the cities of San Mateo, Burlingame, and Hillsborough began planning for a bridge to link the San Francisco Bay peninsula cities with East Bay and Central Valley communities. Even after the Dumbarton Bridge opened, in 1927, these . . . — — Map (db m28727) HM
Originally, Michael Carey’s brick store, 1875 – later acquired by A.T. Bartlett and G. Fisher. C. M. Morse’s Drug Store, also Fisher Hotel. First San Mateo telephone, 1883. First San Mateo Fire Department organized here, 1887.
Strebel . . . — — Map (db m29548) HM
The idea to build an amusement park at this site was conceived by local civic leaders. This park would rival those at Coney Island and Atlantic City.
The Pacific City site was 90 acres, stretching from Peninsula Avenue to Burlingame Avenue and . . . — — Map (db m28780) HM
There are few traces left of
San Mateo’s First Residents
Before the Europeans arrived, Native Americans living in the San Mateo area were known as the Salson. The Salson have been grouped with the Ohlone or Costanoan people. The Salson . . . — — Map (db m29549) HM
One half mile south of this site stood the first church in San Mateo County. Dedicated in 1853 by Catholic Archbishop Joseph S. Alemany. He named it after St. Denis to honor the founder, Dennis Martin, pioneer lumberman and farmer, who also . . . — — Map (db m72481) HM
Here on October 28, 1934, an eager audience celebrated the roar of Hetch Hetchy water as it rushed to the Peninsula for the first time. An adequate supply of high-quality drinking water was finally a reality for the Bay Area. — — Map (db m92635) HM
This country estate was begun in 1915 for Mr. and Mrs. William B. Bourn, II. Architect Willis J. Polk designed a modified Georgian Style country house. Subsequently the carriage house and garden pavilion were executed by Arthur Brown. The formal . . . — — Map (db m18450) HM
About three hundred feet south of this monument on the banks of Alambique Creek, stood San Mateo County's first saw mill. Built by Charles Brown in 1847. About the same time Dennis Martin was building a second mill on San Francisquito Creek. Both . . . — — Map (db m18478) HM
Erected by coffee magnate James A Folger II, and designed by Arthur Brown Jr., who designed the San Francisco Opera House and City Hall, the stable is an example of the so-called "Victorian Gothic Style". Famed for it's decorative elements, it had . . . — — Map (db m56579) HM
The Australian company British Commonwealth Pacific Airlines DC-6B, VH-BPE, on a scheduled flight from Sydney to San Francisco with a final destination of Vancouver, Canada, crashed on Kings Mountain in San Mateo County during the morning hours of . . . — — Map (db m70332) HM
These stone walls are part of a network of trails and roads built by Chinese immigrants. In 1872 Simon L. Jones bought 1,500 acres of timberland in Woodside and developed them into farmlands, orchards and vineyards with the use of Chinese labor. . . . — — Map (db m63621) HM
Here stood the lumberman’s village of Searsville whose first settler, John Sears, came in 1854. Across the road westerly from this monument stood a hotel. The school, store, blacksmith shop, and dwellings were to the southeast. Some on the site of . . . — — Map (db m10711) HM
The town of West Union stood between today’s Edgewood Road and Raymundo Drive in Woodside. The town was originally developed by the employees of two lumber mills on West Union Creek established by Willard Whipple. Farming supplemented the lumber . . . — — Map (db m15977) HM
Built in 1854 among sawmills and redwood groves by Dr. R.O. Tripp and M.A. Parkhurst. Operated by Dr. Tripp in person (who also served as dentist, librarian, postmaster and community leader) until his death in 1909. Purchased by the County of San . . . — — Map (db m86793) HM