Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Shelby County Tennessee Historical Markers

405 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 205
 
ARLINGTON CEMETERY Marker image, Touch for more information
By Judy King, September 4, 2014
ARLINGTON CEMETERY Marker
Tennessee (Shelby County), Arlington — Arlington Cemetery
The Arlington Cemetery Company, formed in 1909, bought 4.7 acres of land on this site. Owners were: R.D. Cole, S.Y. Wilson, H.S. Griffin, W.A. Taylor, F.S. Bragg, and A.H. Murray. In time, this company ceased to function. the Arlington Cemetery . . . — Map (db m76903) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Arlington — Arlington Historic Post Office
The Town's first post office building was located in the row of businesses facing the railroad tracks in the area of town currently known as Depot Square. The first Postmaster, Danial Kerman,was appointed in 1866.

Even though the Town was called . . . — Map (db m85897) HM

Tennessee (Shelby County), Arlington — Arlington, Tennessee
Early pioneers settled in the Arlington area around 1830. A depot, called Withe Station, was established in 1856. The land was given by General Samuel Jackson Hays. In 1872 his land holdings were sold at public auction and the community became . . . — Map (db m148512) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Arlington — Arlington, Tennessee Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to the sons and daughters of Arlington who gave their lives in service of their country and all those who served in defense of this country for our liberty and freedom World War II Sam Wells Logan . . . — Map (db m148515) WM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Arlington — Blacksmith Shop
The blacksmith shop played an integral role in the community in it's early days. He made and repaired farming tools and equipment, wagons and their parts, horseshoes, and household items. The community's first blacksmith was Perkins White, who . . . — Map (db m85676) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Arlington — Gray's Creek Baptist Church
This church is Shelby County's oldest African American congregation. It was founded by two free men of color, preachers Simon Price and Joseph "Free Joe" Harris, and numerous slaves, right after its former occupant, a white congregation, vacated the . . . — Map (db m148239) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Arlington — Harrell Farm Log Cabin
The Harrell Farm Log Cabin is estimated to date back to the mid-1800's and served as the cook's residence at the Harrell Farm. The Harrell farm was located along Harrell Road, in both Shelby and Fayette Counties, and the log cabin was located near . . . — Map (db m85812) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Arlington — Hughes-College Hill Park
In January of 1884, the Memphis District High School opened its doors on this site. Built by the Memphis Conference of Methodist Church, the school was acquired by the Shelby County Schools in 1895. In 1912, a new school replaced the original during . . . — Map (db m76902) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Arlington — Mary Alice ParkEstablished 2006
The Town of Arlington welcomes you to Mary Alice Park, formerly the home of Arlington Blending & Packaging Company, a pesticide formulating and packaging facility which operated from 1971 to 1978. In 2005, the Town purchased the land, to be . . . — Map (db m148517) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Arlington — Memphis's Civil War SitesCivilians Lined the Bluffs
In April 1862, Union victories at Shiloh and on the Mississippi River made Confederate control of the river in Tennessee more difficult. Southern soldiers evacuated posts that they could not defend easily, such as Memphis. Capt. James E. . . . — Map (db m88230) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Arlington — 4E 9 — Old Stagecoach Inn
Just to the north is the site of an old inn used by stagecoach and other travelers between Memphis and eastern settlements from 1829 until stagecoach travel ceased. It was dismantled in 1926. — Map (db m74842) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Arlington — 4E 51 — Pleasant Hill Cemetery
This cemetery, founded in 1853, grew up around the Brunswick Cumberland Presbyterian Church, which has since moved. During the Confederate War, the church building was used as a hospital, and 17 unknown Confederate soldiers who died there are buried . . . — Map (db m88314) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Arlington — Rachel H.K. Burrow Museum
Early pioneers settled in the Arlington area around 1830. A depot, called Withe Station, was established in 1856. The land was given by General Samuel Jackson Hays. In 1872 his land holdings were sold at public auction and the community became . . . — Map (db m76898) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Arlington — Wade Bolton and Bolton College / Bolton School
Wade Bolton and Bolton College On this site in 1887 upon the Hoboken Plantation was erected the first building of Bolton College, established under the provisions of the will of Wade H. Bolton, prominent landowner, killed in 1869 by a former . . . — Map (db m148523) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Bartlett — Bartlett Veterans Memorial
Lest we forget. Erected by citizens of Bartlett to those who served their country in time of need. — Map (db m85906) WM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Bartlett — Bartlett, Tennessee
A toll road of 1829 became Stage Road, Bartlett's main street. In 1856 the town was called Union Depot. Incorporated in 1866 and named Bartlett for Major Gabriel Matson Bartlett. Shelby County Courts were held here from 1870-1885. In 1885 Bartlett . . . — Map (db m7543) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Bartlett — 4E 23 — Davies Manor
Built near Old Stage Road about 1807, occupied by Logan Early Davies, James Baxter Davies & their descendants for over a century. Named for Zachariah Davies, soldier of the American Revolution. In the path of both armies, 1861-65, it was the scene . . . — Map (db m148287) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Bartlett — Nicholas Gotten1832-1919
Nicholas Gotten a native of Spangdahlen, Germany, immigrated to America at the age of 22: worked in the north before coming to Tennessee: established himself as a blacksmith in Union Depot (Bartlett) in 1860: enlisted in the Confederate Army (Co. C. . . . — Map (db m6943) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Bartlett — St. Ann Catholic Church
Front On Christmas Eve 1949, parishioner John Maher buried a statue of the Infant Jesus of Prague on this site and hopeful Catholics from the area began fund-raising efforts to build the first Catholic church in Bartlett. Within one year . . . — Map (db m88647) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Bartlett — The Geographical Center of Shelby County
This site designated as the Geographical Center of Shelby County. — Map (db m85898) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Bartlett — Warren Chapel Pisgah Cemetery
The former site of Warren's Methodist Chapel and cemetery was sold in 1851 by Joseph and Matilda Warren Locke for $20 to the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. At this time it became known as Pisgah. The earliest known burial was Sarah C. Bond, . . . — Map (db m85584) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Collierville — Battle of ColliervilleAn Unexpected Guest
Collierville's location on the Memphis and Charleston Railroad made it strategically important throughout the Civil War. Frequently occupied by Union forces, the town found itself in the gun sights of Confederate cavalrymen intent on severing . . . — Map (db m37267) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Collierville — Battle of Collierville
(Side one): On Oct. 11, 1863, Gen. James R. Chalmers, with a force of about 3000 Confederate cavalrymen, consisting of the 7th TN, 13th TN, 18th MS, 2nd MO, 2nd AR, and 3rd MS, approached Collierville from the south along Mt. Pleasant Road. . . . — Map (db m63137) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Collierville — Chalmers's Collierville Raid"... break the railroad behind him."
Early in November 1863, Union Gen. William T. Sherman was moving east to relieve the Union army at Chattanooga. Confederate Gen. Joseph E. Johnston ordered Gen. James R. Chalmers to "harass [Sherman's] rear and break the railroad behind him." . . . — Map (db m37269) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Collierville — Collierville Christian Church
The Collierville Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) was originally founded in Fayette County near the close of the Civil War. Construction began at the present location in 1873. Renovations to the building were made in 1906, and again in the . . . — Map (db m63135) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Collierville — Collierville High School
This land, which was actually in Mississippi until 1838, originally belonged to the Chickasaws. This area has served as a central hub for education in Collierville since 1873, when Bellevue Female College constructed a two story wooden building . . . — Map (db m76812) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Collierville — Collierville United Methodist ChurchSanctuary on the Square
One of two sanctuaries of Collierville United Methodist Church, the Sanctuary on the Square was built in 1900 by the Methodist Episcopal Church South congregation. The Methodists were the first to erect a church in the community and from . . . — Map (db m82673)
Tennessee (Shelby County), Collierville — Collierville, Tenn.
Collierville, first known as Oak Grove, was founded in about 1835 and was named for Jesse R. Collier. The county’s second oldest town was near Mt. Pleasant Rd. and Hwy. 57 on land of Adams, Floyd, Hodge, Collier and the Tharp Grant. In 1837, the . . . — Map (db m63134) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Collierville — Collierville, Tennessee Veterans MemorialLest We Forget
In Honor of Collierville Area Veterans Dedicated by Collierville VFW Post 5066 Mickey Locke - Commander Jim Inman - Quartermaster — Map (db m149076) WM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Collierville — Crisscross Lodge1913
The home of Cecil and Laura Davis Elliott was designed in 1913 by architect Bayard Snowden Cairnes of the Memphis firm Hanker and Cairnes. Cairnes, who was trained at the Ecole des Beaux Arts in Paris, used a unique hexagonal plan that provided a . . . — Map (db m37266) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Collierville — First Baptist Church
By August 1836, before Jesse Collier and Horace Barbee had advertised “Collier Town for Sale” in the Memphis Enquirer, the Baptists had located in the Collierville area. Shiloh Church was established on the north side of State Line Road . . . — Map (db m76816) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Collierville — Fort/StockadeCivil War Walking Trail
*Referenced from The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Chapter XLII. Chalmers' Raid Series 1, Volume 30, Part II, page 783. The following is a quote provided by Colonel R. V. . . . — Map (db m149072) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Collierville — Herman W. Cox, Jr.
Herman W. Cox, Jr., life long resident of Collierville, was a 1939 graduate of Collierville High School. He served as an elected leader of Collierville, first as alderman in 1959 and Mayor in 1975, retiring in 1999 after serving for 40 years. . . . — Map (db m149082) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Collierville — History Of The Collierville Town SquareLeake-Irby — July 21, 1866 - July 21, 2006 —
In July of 1866, Collierville, like much of the South, was beginning to recover from the ravages of war. Three years earlier, "Mister Collier's Village" consisting of several homes and a general store a few hundred yards east of the square on Mt. . . . — Map (db m149075) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Collierville — McGinnis ParkEstablished 1998
McGinnis Park is dedicated to the memory of Wiley Washington McGinnis (1875 1959), who first landscaped Collierville Square. The park and streets of the 443 acre Schilling Farms development are named for individuals who contributed to the rich . . . — Map (db m149054) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Collierville — Memphis & Charleston RailroadCivil War Walking Trail
The Federal troops quickly understood the importance of taking control of railroads and by May 1862 the US Government held the Memphis & Charleston Railroad with few exceptions until the end of the Civil War. Note that there were up to 15,000 Union . . . — Map (db m149079) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Collierville — Presbyterian Church of Collierville
In 1844 Salem Presbyterian Church was established in southeast Shelby County. It remained there until 1871 and then relocated to Collierville. The name was changed to the Presbyterian Church of Collierville. The Presbyterians met at the Methodist . . . — Map (db m63131) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Collierville — Ridge of the attackCivil War Walking Trail
This is a portion of the ridge where the Confederates faced the occupying Union Forces and General W. T. Sherman in the Battle of Collierville. When you look north toward the railroad and the town square you are standing in the shadows of the . . . — Map (db m119227) HM WM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Collierville — Saint Andrew's Episcopal Church
The corner stone for Saint Andrew’s Episcopal Church was laid on April 22, 1890. The church was consecrated on May 27, 1891. Anna Holden, the guiding force in the founding of St. Andrew’s, led a group that raised $3,000 to build the church. The . . . — Map (db m63132) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Collierville — The Battle of Collierville
On Sunday October 11, 1863, the Confederate forces of Brigadier General James R. Chalmers, consisting of the 7th, 12th, 13th, and 14th Tennessee Cavalry, the 1st, 3rd, 5th, 12th and 18th Mississippi Cavalry and the 2nd Missouri Cavalry, along with . . . — Map (db m149140) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Collierville — The Original DepotCivil War Walking Trail
Collierville Railroad Depot The first railroad depot in Collierville was located in this vicinity adjacent to the Memphis and Charleston Railroad. A letter was discovered in the Mississippi Library Department of Archives and Special . . . — Map (db m149077) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Collierville — The Original VillageCivil War Walking Trail
The Original Town Site of Collierville/Colliersville In this area and to the east, lies the original town site of Collierville. The lands that were destined to become Collierville traveled through many periods of history before a village . . . — Map (db m149071) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Collierville — The Wigfall Grays4th Tennessee Infantry Co. C
(side 1) On April 15, 1861, eighty men from Collierville organized the Wigfall Grays to oppose President Lincoln’s call for volunteers to invade the South. The company was named in honor of Senator Louis T. Wigfall who was well known for . . . — Map (db m82843) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Collierville — Tom Brooks Park
Herbert Thomas Brooks served in community leadership roles for over 50 years. His leadership and vision affected almost every facet of the community and can be seen in the physical beauty of Collierville's landscape as well as the design of the . . . — Map (db m37271) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Collierville — Treating the WoundedCivil War Walking Trail
"The expression of American personality through this war is not to be looked for in the great campaign and the battle-fights. It is to be looked for… in the hospitals, among the wounded.” ~ Walt Whitman notebook entry During the Civil War . . . — Map (db m149073) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Cordova — Dr. Greene Fort Pinkston(1875-1963)
Dr. Greene Fort Pinkston, who practiced medicine for more than 58 years in the Cordova area, was born in Scott County, Mississippi, in 1875. His parents were Ritton and Fannie Gresham Pinkston. At age 24 he left home to attend Meharry Medical School . . . — Map (db m118383) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Germantown — Bedford PlantationEstablished 1997
The land that is now Bedford Plantation subdivision was once part of 640 acres owned by Julian Bedford (1825-1879), and Virginia R. Kenney Bedford (1830-1916), who settled in 1851 at what was to be known as the Bailey Station community. They . . . — Map (db m149053) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Germantown — Fort Germantown
This was the site of a Civil War earthwork redoubt built by the Union Army as part of a series of forts guarding the Memphis & Charleston Railroad. The fort is thought to have been built in June 1863 by the 49th Illinois Infantry Regiment and used . . . — Map (db m74839) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Germantown — 386 — Fortunate SurvivorGermantown Presbyterian Church — American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site —
This is the only Germantown church to survive the war, while the town suffered because of its strategic location on the Memphis & Charlestown Railroad. Many male members of the congregation joined the 4th Tennessee Infantry (CSA), while others . . . — Map (db m121840) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Germantown — Germantown Baptist Church
Organized circa 1836 as New Hope Baptist Church. Ground given in 1841 by Wilks Brooks, whose family was active in life of the Church for many years. Original building was burned in 1862 when Federal forces had command of community. Present building . . . — Map (db m83889) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Germantown — Germantown Cemetery
Founded by Germantown Methodist Episcopal Church on land bought in 1840 from George P. and Nicey B. Shepherd, early subdividers of the village, this cemetery served the whole community for 125 years. A stone fragment dated 1843 marks the earliest . . . — Map (db m84552) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Germantown — Germantown, Tennessee
The City began in 1833 as the hamlet of Pea Ridge, was renamed Germantown in 1836 and incorporated in 1841. The City of Germantown now includes the site of historic Nashoba Plantation. Union troops occupied the town during the Civil War. Yellow . . . — Map (db m74837) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Germantown — John Gray Historic House
One of the oldest surviving brick residences in Shelby County, the John Gray House, built prior to 1851, is a rare example of a Federal Period hall and parlor plan, middle-class farmhouse. Originally located in Morning Sun, near Eads, it was moved . . . — Map (db m83728) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Germantown — Neshoba Junior High School
Land near the present church site was provided to New Bethel Missionary Baptist Church by Mrs. Florida Thompson, a member of a prominent white family of Germantown. The land was made available for a church structure, known then as a brush arbor, . . . — Map (db m143164) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Germantown — Oaklawn Garden
The house was built in 1854 on Wm. Carter's land. Its 493 acres were subdivided in 1872. In 1918 Fritz Hussy and Mamie Cloyes owned and named 20 acres Oaklawn Garden. Harry and Becky Cloyes established a botanical garden and museum of historic . . . — Map (db m76905) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Germantown — Raiding the RailsCivil War in Germantown 1862
During the Civil War, the railroad in front of you was the Memphis & Charleston Railroad. Union forces occupied the area soon after the April 1862 Battle of Shiloh and the capture of Memphis on June 6. they used the railroad to transport troops and . . . — Map (db m107968) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Germantown — War Comes to GermantownGuarding the Railroad
In 1861, Germantown was divided between secessionists and unionists until the news of Fort Sumter and President Abraham Lincoln’s call for volunteers tilted the balance in favor of secession. Germantown women announced on April 26, “We…offer . . . — Map (db m82844) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Lakeland — Chambers Chapel United Methodist Church / Chambers Chapel Cemetery
Chambers Chapel United Methodist Church Martha Ann Vaughan Chambers donated an acre of land near Chambers Mineral Springs as a site for a Methodist Episcopal Church South on Nov. 6, 1869. Three wooden frame buildings have stood on this . . . — Map (db m88696) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 128 Court Street
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior. — Map (db m74802) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 1862 Post Office
On June 6, 1862 Memphis surrendered to Federal gunboats. The only resistance by citizens occurred here as a shot was fired at the soldiers hoisting the U.S. flag over the post office. — Map (db m84464) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 1866 Memphis Massacre
On May 1, 2 and 3, 1866, mobs of white men led by law enforcement attacked black people in the areas near South St. (aka Calhoun & G.E. Patterson). By the end of the attack, the mobs had killed an estimated 46 black people; raped several . . . — Map (db m117114) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 38 — American Cutoff Mile/Greenville, Mississippi/Tarpley CutoffPanel #38 Mississippi Riverwalk
A) American Cutoff Mile Mile 526.5 AHP In the flood of 1858, the Mississippi cut through the neck of American Bend, and the abandoned river bed was renamed Lake Lee. The first steamboat to try to navigate the American Cutoff was the . . . — Map (db m115525) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — American Studios / Elvis Presley at American Studios
American Studios American Studios, a cornerstone of the explosive Memphis music industry in the 1960s, stood on this site. Opened in 1962, American featured record producer Chips Moman and musicians known as The 827 Thomas Štreet Band, later . . . — Map (db m148621) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 92 — Annesdale Park Subdivision
Developed as an exclusive neighborhood in 1903 by Brinkley Snowden and T. O. Vinton, Annesdale Park was the first subdivision in the South planned upon metropolitan lines. It was considered an important display of confidence in the city's future. . . . — Map (db m83793) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 15 — Architectural Innovation
The Cotton Growers Association Building, built in 1936, was used for years in advertisements for the Portland Cement Association as an example of the outstanding designs that could be achieved with concrete construction. — Map (db m148957) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Arkansas & White Rivers
The Mississippi’s southernmost major tributary, the Arkansas, is born from melting snow on the eastern slopes of the Continental Divide near Leadville, Colorado. Its 1,450-mile course drains 160,500 square miles in five states.

Despite . . . — Map (db m115008) HM

Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Artesian Water
In 1887 the Bohlen-Huse Ice Co. struck, at a depth of 354 feet, artesian water of such purity and abundance it immediately became the city supply, one of the country's finest. In 1903 the wells became municipally owned. — Map (db m148964) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 39 — Ashbrook Cutoff/Eunice Landing, Arkansas/Arkansas City, ArkansasPanel #39 Mississippi Riverwalkk
A) Ashbrook Cutoff Mile 549.0 AHP Rowdy Bend was the first of four consecutive loops, in this stretch of the river that pilots called the “Greenville Bends.” Rowdy Bend kept getting longer despite efforts to stabilize it, and . . . — Map (db m115526) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — A-3 — Barboro Grocery
Italian immigrant Anthony Sebastian Barboro operated a wholesale grocery in this building in the late 1800s. His company was still in business in 2003. — Map (db m148962) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 67 — Baseball
Baseball came to Memphis in 1885, but didn't last long because city law prevented games from being played on Sundays. Scores were transmitted to local cigar stores and hotel lobbies by telegraph. — Map (db m148915) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 17 — Baton Rouge, LouisianaPanel #17 Mississippi Riverwalk — Mile 228.4 AHP —
Baton Rouge is the capital of Louisiana... going navigation on the Mississippi River. ...gas fields in Louisiana, Texas, and Oklahoma... a major processing and transportation... industry. The French built the first fort here in 1819. They . . . — Map (db m114996) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Beale Street #1
392 Beale Avenue "There were two types of culture, I guess you could say, on Beale Street. There were the sinners and there were the saved. You had your professional people, your doctors and business folk. Then you had those who . . . — Map (db m107601) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Beale Street #2
First there was a slope of woodland that met the Mississippi River. Chickasaw Indians hunted there until the early 19th century. Then there was Beale Street. It began as the main road of South Memphis and by 1850, when that separate town was . . . — Map (db m108221) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Beale Street #3
During the great wave of immigration around the turn of the century, Jews, Italians, Greeks and Chinese came to Beale Street to pursue their fortunes. They established pawnshops, clothing stores, restaurants, produce stands, . . . — Map (db m107598) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Beale Street #4
"Saturday night was the fabulous night on Beale street. Our parents kept the store opened late. We were children; we used to sit on little chairs outside the store and watch. If we got sleepy, they would put us to sleep on a rack of . . . — Map (db m107596) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Beale Street Baptist Church
Founded in the late 1840s by Rev. Morris Henderson and four other blacks, Beale Street Baptist Church is the oldest, continuous Negro congregation in Memphis. Withdrawing from the First Baptist Church, the founders and others met in an old . . . — Map (db m148899) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Beale Street Historic District
Has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark. Under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935 this site possesses exceptional value in commemorating and illustrating the history of the United States. U.S. . . . — Map (db m47904) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 6 — Belle Chasse, Louisiana/English Turn Bend/Caernarvon Crevasse/Poydras CrevassePanel #6 Mississippi Riverwalk
A) Belle Chasse, Louisiana Mile 75.9 AHP Belle Chasse Plantation was the home of Judah P. Benjamin, often called “the brains of the Confederate government.” He served as Attorney General Secretary of War and Secretary of . . . — Map (db m114921) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 100 — Benjamin Albert Imes
Described as the best-educated minister in all of Memphis in 1880 was a black man, the Rev. Benjamin A. Imes, who was a noted city leader. Imes held two degrees from Oberlin College and was involved with an influential group that pushed for the . . . — Map (db m84445) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 126 — Benjamin Franklin Booth1858–1941
Benjamin F. Booth was one of Memphis' earliest and most distinguished African-American lawyers. Starting in 1886, he practiced law for more than 54 years. In 1905, he challenged Tennessee's law authorizing the segregation of black and white . . . — Map (db m139) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Bettis Family Cemetery
Here was the farm of the Tillman Bettis family on the Memphis bluff after the 1818 treaty, even before the town was laid off. Mary Bettis was the first child born in the new settlement. — Map (db m83844) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Birthplace of Aretha Franklin
Aretha Franklin was born in this house on March 25, 1942, to Baptist Bishop C.L. and Barbara Franklin. Ms. Franklin is an American singer, songwriter and musician. She began her career as a child singing gospel at her father's church, New Salem . . . — Map (db m106487) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 142 — Bishop Charles Harrison Mason1862~1961
Bishop C.H. Mason founded the Church of God in Christ (COGIC) in the late 1890s. Born a slave near Bartlett, Tennessee, Mason served as Senior Bishop of the denomination from 1907 until his death in 1961. By the time of his death, COGIC had become . . . — Map (db m89000) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 10 — Bonnet Carre Spillway/Lake PontchartrainPanel #10 Mississippi Riverwalk
A) Bonnet Carre Spillway Mile 128.0 AHP Completed in 1935, the Bonnet Carre Spillway protects New Orleans, LA and the levees around it by diverting flood waters into Lake Pontchartrain. The one and a half mile long concrete structure . . . — Map (db m114925) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 111 — Booker T. Washington High School
From a two-room, two-teacher structure known as Clay Street School, Booker T. Washington High School evolved as the first public high school for black students in Memphis. About 1911, the school was relocated to an abandoned building on Webster . . . — Map (db m89014) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Bridgewater School
Bridgewater School, formerly on this site, was founded in 1911 and exited continuously at this site until 1960. In 1921, with help from the community, the Shelby County school board, and the Rosenwald Fund, the Rosenwald school concept was . . . — Map (db m118471) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 18 — Brodnax Jewelers
Brodnax Jewelers, the original occupant of the Brodnax Building, at one time sold more Rolex watches than any other retailer in the world. When this building was built in 1916 as their headquarters, their mail-order business claimed to sell more . . . — Map (db m148949) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 99 — Burkle Estate
In the years immediately preceding the Civil War, Jacob Burkle operated the Memphis Stockyards on this site. Herdsmen seeking shelter and respite at Chelsea House found the stockyards a convenient custody station for their livestock. Folklore . . . — Map (db m148611) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 17 — Business Men's Club
The "B-M-C" over the door of this 1910 building stood for the Business Men's Club, which became the Chamber of Commerce in 1913. — Map (db m148948) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 65 — Cairo, IllinoisPanel #65 Mississippi Riverwalk — Mile 954.0 AHP —
Cairo's position at the confluence of the Upper Mississippi and Ohio made it an important river and rail junction in the steamboat era. Changes in America's shipping patterns reduced its role in the 20th Century but it remains an active port and . . . — Map (db m114728) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Calvary Cemetery
Consecrated in 1867 to serve the booming populations of the Catholic Irish, Germans and Italians, Calvary became the second Catholic Cemetery in Shelby County. Msgr. Martin Riordan, V.G., of St. Patrick Parish, was a leading proponent and advocate . . . — Map (db m19032) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Calvary Protestant Episcopal Church
The oldest public building in Memphis and the first Episcopal Church in Shelby County. Organized August 6, 1832 by the Reverend Thomas Wright. The church house started 1838 was consecrated May 12, 1844 by the Right Reverend James Hervey Otey, first . . . — Map (db m32515) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Campbell ClinicOrthopaedics — 869 Madison Ave. 1920-1997 —
The Willis C. Campbell Clinic opened at this site on December 26, 1920. Originating as a one-story building, it housed a waiting room, business office, eight examining rooms, the physical therapy department, and a brace shop. Several years later, . . . — Map (db m136490) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Capt. J. Harvey Mathes37th. Tenn. C.S.A.
Capt. J. Harvey Mathes 37th. Tenn. C.S.A. — Map (db m51442) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Captain Kit Dalton1843 - 1920
He fought for the Confederacy and with Quantrell's Raiders. After the war he rode with Jesse and Frank James and Cole Younger. Over 100 years ago a $50,000 reward was offered for him dead or alive. Since they could not capture him, he was later . . . — Map (db m84572) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 33 — Casey Jones
From a station located on this site the night of Apr. 29. 1900, John Luther Jones, replacing the regularly detailed engineer, took out engine 382, pulling the Illinois Central “Cannonball.” Driving into a blocked switch at Vaughn, Miss., . . . — Map (db m6862) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Central Gardens Historic District
By 1900, Memphis's growth had pushed the city limits east of the district's 511 acres, originally settled in 1830 by Solomon Rozelle. With its convenient access to downtown via the new trolley lines, Central Gardens underwent intensive . . . — Map (db m87367) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 145 — Chew C. Sawyer1918-1973
Chew C. Sawyer was a mid-twentieth century African-American entrepreneur. He founded Sawyer Realty Company, which later became Cornette Realty; Arnette Construction Company; Future Insurance Agency; and Sawyer Rental Agency. In 1956, Sawyer founded . . . — Map (db m86448) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Chickasaw Trail
The main trail of the Chickasaws from their towns in Pontotoc, Miss., here reached the Bayou Gayoso after following roughly the line of Highway 78, Lamar Boulevard, and Marshall Street. — Map (db m63286) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Chop Suey Café / Chinese Merchants on Beale Street
Chop Suey Café Chop Suey is actually an American dish created by early Chinese immigrants in the 1800s for gold miners in California. It is a stir-fried mixture of vegetables and meat in a starchy soy sauce served over rice. An instant success, . . . — Map (db m147552) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Christian Brothers College
At this site, on November 17, 1871, the Christian Brothers purchased what was the Memphis Female College. Brother Maurelian, who served as the first president of Christian Brothers College, along with three other Brothers and one layman, opened . . . — Map (db m148989) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 169 — Christian Brothers High School / Christian Brothers Band
(obverse) Christian Brothers High School Christian Brothers High School, the oldest high school for boys in Memphis, opened November 21, 1871 as the secondary department of Christian Brothers College at 612 Adams Avenue. CBC was . . . — Map (db m63274) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 67 — Church Park
At this location Church Park and Auditorium was established in 1899 by Robert R. Church Sr., a Memphis business man and former slave, to provide recreational facilities for members of his race who had no other place to meet. Many famous Americans, . . . — Map (db m82845) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Church Park Auditorium
Established in 1899, Church's park and auditorium was the only such facility in the United States owned entirely by a black man and conducted in the interest of black people. Standard admission to the auditorium was 15¢ seating capacity was 2200, . . . — Map (db m107386) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Civil War Capitol
After the fall of Nashville Governor Isham Harris convened the Tennessee Legislature on this site February 20-March 20, 1862. The state archives were also stored here. — Map (db m116300) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 2 — Civil War Hospital
The Woolen Building was built with bricks made on-site in the 1840s. Federal troops later used its basement as a hospital during the Civil War. It is the oldest commercial building in Memphis. — Map (db m116721) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Civil War in TennesseeMemphis during the War
In 1860, Memphis had Tennessee's largest cotton and slave markets and was a strategic Mississippi River gateway. The naval battle of Memphis in June 1862 took place as thousands of residents watched nine Union vessels defeat eight Confederate ships. . . . — Map (db m55313) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 15 — Claiborne Landing/Carville, Louisiana/Belle GrovePanel #15
A.Claiborne Landing Mile 188.3 AHP

This was the plantation home of William C.C. Claiborne. At the age of 21, Claiborne helped write a constitution for the new state of Tennessee and five years later President Jefferson appointed him . . . — Map (db m114995) HM

Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Clarence Saunders' "Pink Palace"
Clarence Saunders, whose self-service groceries were followed by modern supermarkets, started construction of this building for his home in 1922. It was incomplete when he lost an epic Stock Exchange battle. Developers who bought the grounds gave . . . — Map (db m74831) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Clayborn Temple
This building. designed by architects Long & Kees with E. C. Jones supervising, was dedicated to the worship of God on Jan. 1, 1893. It was the second home of Second Presbyterian Church (organized Dec. 28, 1844) until sold to the AME Church in . . . — Map (db m148963) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Cobblestone Landing
There were several boat landings in this general area during the nineteenth century. An 1827 drawing shows a public landing approximately on-half mile north of this spot, but changes in the "batture" or built-up bank caused by the river moved the . . . — Map (db m88262) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 1 — Cobblestones
The Cobblestones that line the river landing once stretched all the way to Front Street, from Beale Street north to Court Avenue. The cobblestones were installed between 1859-1881 and are still intact underneath the pavement on Union Avenue. — Map (db m148901) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 108 — Collins Chapel Christian Methodist Episcopal Church
A “Daughter” of Wesley Chapel (later, the First United Methodist Church), Collins Chapel was organized in 1841 and purchased this site in 1859. Names for its first pastor, J. T. C. Collins, it predates the formation of the CME . . . — Map (db m63368) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 66 — Commercial Barge TrafficPanel # 66
Barges first appeared on the Mississippi River after the U. S. Civil War, as river interest tried to compete with the railroads’ growing domination. The railroads won this transportation duel and tows practically disappeared from the river until WWI . . . — Map (db m115159) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Confederate History of Memphis
This bluff was fortified by Gen. Pillow May 1862. Thirty seven companies were equipped here for the Confederate service. The Confederate Ram, Arkansas, one of the first ironclad battleships in the Navy, was built and partially armored here, but . . . — Map (db m82848) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Confederate ParkReunions and Memorials
Opened in 1906 as part of the Memphis Park and Parkway System, Confederate Park commemorates the Battle of Memphis. When Confederate forces retreated to Mississippi after the Battle of Shiloh in April 1862, unfortified Memphis became vulnerable to . . . — Map (db m82849) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Confederate Soldiers Rest
Confederate Soldiers Rest is located in the Fowler Section of Historic Elmwood Cemetery. Over 1000 Confederate Soldiers and Veterans are buried here. An article in The Memphis Daily Appeal on 27 June 1861 stated that this plot was dedicated to the . . . — Map (db m51628) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Confederate States of America
When Southern states seceded from the Union in 1861, the Mississippi River became not only a vital commercial waterway, but also a strategic route through the heart of the Confederacy. The river proved to be the South's greatest weakness. At the . . . — Map (db m82850) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Congregation B'Nai Israel(Children of Israel) — First Permanent Jewish House of Worship in Tennessee —
Jews have been part of Tennessee’s economic, social and political life since the late 18th century. Congregation Children of Israel, chartered by the State of Tennessee, March 2, 1854, rented and eventually purchased a building near this site at . . . — Map (db m84648) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4 — Cotton Exchange Building
The Memphis Cotton Exchange, was first organized in 1873 and is still operating today, though cotton trading is now done by computers. In the early 1950s a seat on the Exchange could cost a new member $17,000. Memphis was the largest spot cotton . . . — Map (db m116725) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 49 — Court Square Saved
Court Square was almost sold to developers in the 1870s to pay back debts incurred in the yellow fever epidemics. It was almost sold again in the early 1900s for a skyscraper, and still again in the 1940s for parking. — Map (db m148966) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Crump Home
Edward Hull Crump, Memphis political leader for half a century, constructed this residence for his family and himself in 1909. The landscaping was his constant pride until his death here on October 16, 1954. — Map (db m149033) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Crystal Shrine Grotto
A unique cave was constructed by Memoral Park founder E. Clovis Hinds and Mexican artist Dioñicio Rodriguez in 1935-38. Natural rock and quartz crystal collected from the Ozarks form the background for nine scenes from the life of Christ. The cave . . . — Map (db m88312) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 42 — D.T. Porter Building
The D.T. Porter Building was Memphis’ first skyscraper and the tallest building south of St. Louis when completed in 1895. Some city officials believed a building that tall would blow over in a strong wind. Visitors paid 10 cents to ride one of the . . . — Map (db m148974) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 30 — Davis Island, Mississippi/Kents IslandPanel #30 Mississippi Riverwalk
A) Davis Island, Mississippi Mile 415.0 AHP A large bend once curved around this land which the first settlers name Palmyra. Jefferson Davis established his Briercliffe Plantation here in 1835, next to his brother Joseph’s Hurricane . . . — Map (db m115167) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 139 — Deaderick Family Cemetery
George Michael Deaderick in 1807 established and was president of the Nashville Bank, the first bank in the state. His son, John G. Deaderick, owned 5,000 acres of land, a portion of which was passed down to his son, William Pitt Deaderick, and . . . — Map (db m149024) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 62 — Donaldson Point, Missouri/Island No. 8/Hickman, Kentucky/Dorena CrevassePanel #62 Mississippi Riverwalk
A) Donaldson Point, Missouri Mile 905.3 AHP Union forces dug a canal across Donaldson Point in 1862 hoping to use it to bypass Confederate batteries at Island No. 10. The canal proved to be too shallow, but the rebels scuttled the . . . — Map (db m114731) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 14 — Donaldsonville, Louisiana/Bayou Lafourche/Geismar, LouisianaPanel #14 Mississippi Riverwalk
A) Donaldsonville, Louisiana Mile 175.0 AHP A trading post was established where Bayou Lafourche met the river in 1750, and a small community grew up around it. Most of the settlers were French, but the town was named for William . . . — Map (db m114994) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 143 — Dr. Joseph Edison Walker1880-1958
In 1923, Dr. J.E. Walker co-founded and was the first president of Universal Life Insurance Company, established in Memphis. A physician by training, he helped organize the old Memphis Negro Chamber of Commerce in 1926. Walker served as president of . . . — Map (db m116287) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Eastland Presbyterian Church
Sunday school held in a schoolhouse led to the formation of Eastland Presbyterian Church November 11, 1906 with Dr. W.H. Gragg, Sr., E.H. Porter and Captain T.H. Savage, Elders. Dr. Gragg secured the lumber for the original frame building from the . . . — Map (db m88498) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 101 — Edward Shaw
In 1870, Edward Shaw became the first Memphis black to run for U.S. Congress. Though he did not win, he was active in politics, serving on the County Commission, the City Council, and as Wharfmaster in the 1870s. In 1875, Shaw was editor of a black . . . — Map (db m121433) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 75 — Elizabeth Avery Meriwether1824 - 1917
Born in Bolivar, Elizabeth Meriwether spent much of her life in Memphis. A noted author, her more famous works include The Master of Red Leaf, Black and White, and Recollections of 92 Years. Mrs. Meriwether toured many states lecturing in support of . . . — Map (db m55308) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 72 — Elmwood Cemetery
Elmwood Cemetery was established on August 28, 1852. Buried here are Memphis pioneer families: 14 Confederate generals; victims of the Yellow Fever epidemic of 1878; Governors Isham G. Harris and James C. Jones; U.S. Senators Kenneth D. McKellar, . . . — Map (db m21334) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E-77 — Elvis Aaron Presley
Elvis Presley was born in Tupelo, Mississippi, on January 8, 1935, the son of Vernon and Gladys Presley. He moved to Memphis in 1948. Soon after signing a contract with Sun Records in 1954 he achieved tremendous popularity. His musical and acting . . . — Map (db m9509) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Elvis Presley and Sun Records / Sun Records
Front In July 1954 Sun Records released Elvis Presley's first recording. That record, and Elvis' four that followed on the Sun label, changed popular music. Elvis developed an innovative and different sound combining blues, gospel, and . . . — Map (db m37261) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 180 — Ernest C. Withers House
Ernest C. Withers (1922-2007) began his career as a photographer in the U. S. Army during World War II. Upon leaving the military, he opened a commercial photography studio and worked as a freelance photojournalist for Black newspapers and magazines . . . — Map (db m114545) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Eudora Baptist Church
Side 1: Organized October 18, 1850 on two acres of land donated by Col. Eppy White, using the Greek word "Eudora" signifying "good gift" as its name, this church met in a log schoolhouse until the congregation's first structure was erected . . . — Map (db m83572) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Eudora Baptist Church
Organized October 18, 1850 on two acres donated by Col. Eppy White, the church met in a log schoolhouse until the first building was erected in 1851. The first pastor was J.B. Canada. A larger building completed in 1858 was used as a Federal . . . — Map (db m132039) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 61 — Eugene Magevney
Born in County Fermanagh, Ireland, 1798: immigrated to the United States, 1828; settled in Memphis, 1833. His home was the scene of three important religious occasions in Memphis: first Catholic mass, 1839; first Catholic marriage, 1840; . . . — Map (db m32518) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Fargason Fields
Welcome to Fargason Fields. Conveyed to the college in 1922 by John T. Fargason and his sister Mary Fargason Falls, in memory of their father J.T. Fargason. Fargason Fields encompasses 15 acres on the north side of the campus. Originally the . . . — Map (db m102327) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 6 — Farnsworth Building
Before 88 Union Center was renovated in the 1980's, it was known as the Three Sisters Building for the ladies apparel store that opened here in 1938. Before that, the 1927 building was called the Farnsworth Building after its financier, C.F. . . . — Map (db m148904) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 5 — First "Talkies"
Parking can be fun, but not as fun as a show at Loew's Palace, where "talking movies" debuted in Memphis in 1928. The theater, where Harry Houdini and others performed in the 1920s, was razed in the 1980s. — Map (db m116720) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — First Baptist Church
Front On April 3, 1839, 11 Baptists met in the home of Spencer Hail to organize a Baptist church. The next day, the group met to sign articles of faith. On Sunday, April 7, the group was organized as a regular Baptist church and baptised . . . — Map (db m86577) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 130 — First Baptist Church / Mt. Olive CME Church
(Front Side): First Baptist Church The First Baptist Church was designed by architect R. H. Hunt and built in 1906. It is constructed of yellow bricks along a Georgian-architectural style. It housed a congregation of 2,200 members . . . — Map (db m55466) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 155 — First Baptist Church, Lauderdale
Front Originally known as Beale Street Baptists Church First Baptist Church, Lauderdale began in 1865 as the first black Baptist church in West Tennessee. In 1877, it split from Beale Street Baptists. Through a legal action in 1894, it . . . — Map (db m89009) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 8 — First Black Radio Station
On October 25, 1948 at 4p.m., Nat D. Williams signed on at WDIA radio, becoming the first black disc jockey on the South's first all-black radio station. His revolutionary rhythm and blues program followed a show called "Hillbilly Party" and . . . — Map (db m116723) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — First Congregational Church
Founded 1862, organized 1864 with 25 members, this was the earliest Congregational Church in Memphis and State of Tennessee; known first as Union Church, next as Strangers Church, at two downtown locations. This classical modified Ionic building, . . . — Map (db m88064) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — First Court House, First Newspaper
Shelby County's first court house, a $50 cabin, was built here in 1820. The court moved to Raleigh, and the cabin then housed the first newspaper, the Memphis Advocate, which began January 18, 1827. — Map (db m148633) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — First Holiday Inn
The world’s first Holiday Inn was opened on this site, August 1, 1952 by Memphis entrepreneur Kemmons Wilson as a result of his unsatisfactory lodging experiences on a vacation the prior summer with his wife Dorothy and their five children. He soon . . . — Map (db m63364) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — First Memphis Waterfront
From here north to Auction Avenue steamboats landed; flatboats used the mouth of Gayoso Bayou above. Paddy Meagher, associated with this bluff as early as 1783, built a warehouse here in 1828. In 1829 Emmanuel Young built the town's first brick . . . — Map (db m116298) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — First Tavern
In 1820 several log cabins were built here to provide for the land office opening. Samuel Brown, first sheriff, later kept tavern on the same site. Adjacent on the south was the office of Frances Wright's Nashoba colony. — Map (db m116296) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 176 — First Tennessee Bank
Despite the hardships and divided loyalties of the Civil War, First National Bank of Memphis received Charter No. 336 from the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency on March 25, 1864. Renamed First Tennessee in 1971, the city's first federally . . . — Map (db m148967) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Former Criminal Courts Building
Designed by Jones & Furbringer, Architects, this building opened in 1925 as the Criminal Courts Building, housing two divisions of criminal court, a 300-bed county jail, and various offices. The limestone exterior features several design elements of . . . — Map (db m63366) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Forrest and the Memphis Slave Trade
Front From 1854 to 1860, Nathan Bedford Forrest operated a profitable slave trading business at this site. In 1826, Tennessee had prohibited bringing enslaved people into the state for the purpose of selling them. As cotton and slavery . . . — Map (db m117144) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 39 — Forrest's Artillery Positions — Aug, 21, 1864 —
In this locality, the highest in Memphis, a section (2 guns) of Forrest's artillery was emplaced under Lt. Sale, supporting his raid on Memphis. Fire was directed against Federals in buildings of the State Female College about 700 yards NE, until it . . . — Map (db m116276) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 38 — Forrest's Early Home
In a house which stood here in antebellum days lived Nathan Bedford Forrest. Born in middle Tennessee, 1821, he spent his early life on a Mississippi plantation. Following marriage in 1845, he came to Memphis, where his business enterprises made . . . — Map (db m115931) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 29 — Fort Adams / Fort Pike
With Chickasaw approval, Army Captain Isaac Guion erected the United States' first garrison in the mid-Mississippi Valley here in October of 1797. Initially named Fort Adams for the second U.S. President, the stockade was later called Fort Pike, . . . — Map (db m74828) WM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 23 — Fort Adams, Mississippi/Old River Control Structure/Homochitto CutoffPanel # 23
A. Fort Adams, Mississippi Mile 311.9 AHP

This high bluff was first named Davion’s Rock, for a French priest who lived here with the Tunica Indians in the early 1700’s. It was later called Loftus Heights, for a British Major Loftus . . . — Map (db m115004) HM

Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 28 — Fort San Fernando
Hereabouts, in 1795, the Spanish built Fort San Fernando de Barrancas. It was here that Don Miguel Gayoso De Lamos, first governor, hoisted the flag of Spain for the first time, and took possession of the territory in the name of his sovereign. — Map (db m148649) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 28 — Fort San Fernando de Las Barrancas(1795-97)
Louisiana's lieutenant governor, Manuel Gayoso de Lemos, erected Fort San Fernando de las Barrancas near this site in May of 1795. He named the structure for Spain's crown prince and future king, Ferdinand VII. Conforming to Pinckney's Treaty, . . . — Map (db m120798) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — France
France was the first nation to settle and develop the Lower Mississippi. Although they governed it for only 80 years, the French left a lasting impression on the river and its valley. In 1673, Louis Jolliet, a French trader, and Father Jacques . . . — Map (db m53731) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 109 — G. P. Hamilton
Born in Memphis in 1867, G.P. Hamilton was the author of The Bright Side of Memphis, one of the earliest books on black residents of Memphis. In 1892 Hamilton, an honors graduate of LeMoyne, was appointed principal of Kortrecht, the first . . . — Map (db m149022) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Gen. James M. Kennedy Hospital
A U.S. Army hospital on this site treated more than 44,000 combat veterans during World War II. Opened Jan. 23, 1943, it was named for the late Brig. Gen. James M. Kennedy, distinguished Army surgeon and veteran of both the Spanish-American War and . . . — Map (db m84660) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 144 — George W. Lee1894 - 1976
Political, business and civic leader, Lee was a lieutenant in the U.S. Army Expeditionary Force. Heroic in W.W.I, he was an active black combat officer. An insurance executive and capitalist, Lee was leader of the Lincoln League and Old Guard . . . — Map (db m55501) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Graceland
Graceland has been placed on the National Register of Historical Places by the United States Department of the Interior. Built 1939. — Map (db m138) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Grace-St. Luke's Episcopal Church
St. Luke's Church, founded in 1894 at Idlewild and Union, moved to this location in 1912 where the Right Rev. Thomas F. Gailor, 3rd Bishop of Tennessee, laid the church's cornerstone. Grace Church, founded in 1850 as the first mission church of . . . — Map (db m84423) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 29 — Grand Gulf, Mississippi/Yucatan Cutoff/Big Black RiverPanel #29 Mississippi Riverwalk
A) Grand Gulf, Mississippi Mile 407.0 AHP A bluff jutting into the river at the old mouth of the Big Black River created perilous whirlpools that made Grand Gulf notorious among early flatboatmen. The town of Grand Gulf was established . . . — Map (db m115164) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Grand Lake Cutoff/Worthington Cutoff/Kentucky BendPanel # 37
A. Grand Lake Cutoff Mile 511.0 AHP An oxbow lake two miles west of the river, Grand Lake, was removed from the channel by this natural cutoff in the 1700’s. The small river town of Princeton grew up on the west bank, with a busy landing. . . . — Map (db m115524) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Great Britain
As early as the 1730's, a few British traders lived among the Chickasaw in this area, but Great Britain's brief ascendancy on the Lower Mississippi did not began until 1763. In that year, the British defeated France in the Seven Years' War and took . . . — Map (db m82852) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 22 — Greek Influence
In 1929, the architects of the National Bank of Commerce wanted to convey the strength of the bank by basing their design on ancient Greek temples. It's built according to the "Golden Section" rule, meaning that its width to length ratio is almost . . . — Map (db m148958) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Griffin House
Leighnora Elisabeth Griffin, pictured here in the 1930s, lived at 2118 Madison Avenue from 1919 until her death at age 89. She once turned down an offer price of $500,000 to purchase the home during the mid-70's heyday of Overton Square . . . — Map (db m84680) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 50 — Hattie Manely
August 2nd, 1885: A riot broke out after police arrested 16-year-old Hattie Manely of Xenia, Ohio. Manely was an African-American who didn't realize she was committing a crime when she sat in a chair in Court Square vacated by a white man. — Map (db m148971) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 1 — Head of Passes/Pilottown, LouisianaPanel #1 Mississippi Riverwalk
A) Head of Passes Mile 0.0 AHP The Mississippi River officially ends here, 954 miles from Cairo, Illinois. At this point, the stream divides into three channels, Pass a Louture, South Pass, and Southern Pass. They each branch into . . . — Map (db m114914) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Heiskell Farm
Joseph B. Heiskell obtained a farm surrounding this location about 1867. He was Chairman of Code Commission of 1858 establishing the first official Code of Tennessee, member of the First Confederate Congress 1862, member of Convention of 1870 . . . — Map (db m87996) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 21 — Hog Point, Louisiana/Raccourci Cutoff/Caernarvon CrevassePanel #21 Mississippi Riverwalk
A) Hog Point, Louisiana Mile 298.2 AHP The channel off Hog Point, in the middle of Raccourci Cutoff, has long been one of the most troublesome stretches on the lower river. Constant dredging is required to keep the channel open. . . . — Map (db m115003) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 141 — Hollis Freeman Price, Sr.1904-1982
Hollis Price was the first African-American president of LeMoyne College. In 1968, he guided the college's merger with Owen Junior College. Price was the president of the college for 27 years and upon his retirement became president emeritus. He was . . . — Map (db m83826) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 159 — Hooks Brothers PhotographyEstablished in 1907
Side A Established by Henry A. Hooks, Sr. and his brother Robert B. Hooks, Hooks Brothers Photography Studio was the second oldest continuously operating black business in Memphis. Located during its early years at 164 Beale Street, it . . . — Map (db m32512) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 171 — Humes High SchoolAlma Mater of Elvis Presley
Within two months of graduation, Presley recorded songs at Memphis Recording Service. The following year he recorded at Sun Records, along with Carl Perkins (1932-1998), Johnny Cash (1932-2003), and Jerry Lee Lewis (born 1935). After achieving . . . — Map (db m148624) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 175 — Hutchison School
Founded in 1902 by Mary Grimes Hutchison as a college preparatory school for girls, it was the first independent school in Memphis accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools. In 1925 Hutchison moved to the Union Avenue . . . — Map (db m87083) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 11 — Hymelia Crevasse/Bonnet Carre Crevasse/Laplace, Louisiana/Reserve, LouisianaPanel #11 Mississippi Riverwalk
A) Hymelia Crevasse Mile 131.3 AHP In 1903, a 200-foot gap opened in the levee at Hymelia Plantation. One thousand laborers were put to work constructing a sandbag fill but a runaway barge crashed into the repairs and destroyed them. . . . — Map (db m114926) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 85 — Ida B. Wells1862–1931
Ida B. Wells crusaded against lynchings in Memphis and the South. In 1892 while editor of the Memphis Free Speech, located in this vicinity, she wrote of the lynching of three Black businessmen. As a result, her newspaper office was destroyed . . . — Map (db m9306) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 167 — Idlewild Presbyterian Church
A series of prayer meetings organized by James S. Davant in 1890 resulted in a Presbyterian Church organized in the suburb of Idlewild. From Peabody Avenue the congregation moved to the southwest corner of Union Avenue and McLean Boulevard, then . . . — Map (db m149035) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Illinois MonumentMemphis National Cemetery
When President Abraham Lincoln called for volunteers to defend the life of our imperiled nation, these valiant sons of Illinois together with other heroes, offered their lives with patriotism unsurpassed. With unflinching bravery they fought . . . — Map (db m61800) WM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 124 — Isaac Hayes
In the 1970s Hayes was a multiple gold and platinum-selling recording star. His recording of "Shaft" won an Oscar, Golden Globe, and three Grammy awards. He wrote or co-wrote over 200 songs for Stax Records including "Hold On, I'm Coming" and "Soul . . . — Map (db m87970) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 57 — Island No. 20/Cottonwood Point/Booth Point, Tennessee/Linwood BendPanel #57 Mississippi Riverwalk
A) Island No. 20 Mile 8290 AHP The wandering geography of Island No. 20 illustrates the Mississippi River's erratic nature. Navigation charts of 1801 show the island lying near the west bank. Later, the river moved and placed the . . . — Map (db m114737) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 63 — Island No. 5 (Wolf Island)/Belmont, Missouri/Columbus, KentuckyPanel #63 Mississippi Riverwalk
A) Island No. 5 (Wolf Island) Mile 933.0 AHP Kentucky and Missouri fought all the way to the U. S. Supreme Court for possession of Wolf Island. Missouri’s attorneys presented an array of old maps and navigation charts that showed the . . . — Map (db m114730) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 64 — Islands No. 2, 3, and 4/Fort Jefferson, Kentucky/Bird’s Point, MissouriPanel #64 Mississippi Riverwalk
A) Islands No. 2, 3, and 4 Mile 940.5 AHP Zadok Cramer first numbered the islands of the Lower Mississippi River in his 1801 book, The Navigator. The number system allowed boatmen to exchange river information without becoming . . . — Map (db m114729) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — It was a Struggle for Freedom For Dignity and For EqualityRecognition
The City of Memphis recognizes the American Federation of State County and Municipal Employees AFL-CIO Local 1733 as the designated representative for the Division of Public Works for the purpose of negotiations on wages hours and conditions of . . . — Map (db m107458) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 107 — J. Millard "Jack" Smith1895-1976
Born at Statonville, Tennessee, J. Millard "Jack" Smith was president of Memphis State College from 1946 until 1960 and was the first alumnus of the college to become president. Following World War II, he guided the institution through an era of . . . — Map (db m86688) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — James H. MaloneOct. 31, 1851 - June 29, 1929
The 35th mayor of Memphis, 1906-1910. Author of "The Chickasaw Nation". He shared a legal office on the 11th floor of the exchange building, overlooking Court Square, with his younger brother Walter Malone. Judge of the second circuit court of . . . — Map (db m74800) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Jane Terrell Hospital
The Negro Baptist Association founded the Jane Terrell Baptist Hospital at 698 Williams in 1909 under the leadership of Dr. C.A. Terrell. At his death, it was permanently renamed Terrell Memorial Hospital under the leadership of Dr. N. M. Watson. By . . . — Map (db m86566) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Jefferson Davis MemorialPresident of the Confederate States of America 1861 - 1865
(Front):Jefferson Davis President of the Confederate States of America 1861 - 1865 Before the War Between the States, he served with distinction as a United States Congressman and twice as a United States Senator. He also served as . . . — Map (db m51441) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — John B. WeatherallHero-Loved One — 1900-1953 —
On the tragic day of September 12, 1953, John Weatherall gave his life in dedication to his job at Peabody Elementary School. WWI Veteran, devoted family man and custodian of Peabody Elementary, John Weatherall became aware of a fire at the school . . . — Map (db m84836) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — John Grisham
Author John Grisham immortalized downtown Memphis, particularly Front Street, in his novel The Firm. In 1993, he became the first author to have four books on the best seller list at the same time. Rooted deeply in the South's rich literary . . . — Map (db m116357) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Johnny Cash's First Performance / Johnny Cash and the Tennessee Two
Johnny Cash's First Performance The singer-songwriter who became know as "The Man in Black," Johnny Cash launched his music career on this site in December 1954. Working as a door-to-door appliance salesman, Cash teamed up with guitarist . . . — Map (db m102825) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Joseph "Joe" C. WarrenMemphis Sanitation Strike Organizer
Inside his home here at 968 Meagher, Joe Warren, a city sanitation worker, hosted strategy meetings with fellow workers in 1968 to plan what would become a historic strike against the City of Memphis. The strike would protest the firing of 33 . . . — Map (db m149042) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 158 — Josiah T. Settle1850 - 1915
After a noted legal and legislative career in Mississippi, Settle came to Memphis in 1885. During the late 1880s, he served as Assistant Attorney General of the Criminal Court of Shelby County, an appointment unprecedented for an African-American at . . . — Map (db m82853) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 5 — Junior Crevasse/Poverty Point, Louisiana/Jesuits BendPanel #5 Mississippi Riverwalk
A) Junior Crevasse Mile 55.0 AHP During the great flood of April 1927, the steamship Inspector was fought erratic currents downstream past the Junior Plantation. The pilot lost control and the boat’s bow crashed into the levee. . . . — Map (db m114920) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 9 — Kenner, Louisiana/Davis Crevasse/Ormand Landing, LouisianaPanel #9 Mississippi Riverwalk
A) Kenner, Louisiana Mile 113.0 AHP This community grew up on a sugar plantation owned by the Kenner family and became a railroad stop in the antebellum years. During the U.S. Civil War, Union troops were sent to Kenner to destroy the . . . — Map (db m114924) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Kuni Wada Bakery Remembrance
"When nothing else subsists from the past, after the people are dead, after the things are broken and scattered. The smell and taste of things remain poised a long time, like souls. Bearing resiliently, on tiny and almost impalpable drops of . . . — Map (db m89358) HM WM

405 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 205
Paid Advertisement
May. 26, 2020