Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Wicomico County Maryland Historical Markers

 
Asbury United Methodist Church image, Touch for more information
By F. Robby, November 3, 2007
Asbury United Methodist Church
Maryland (Wicomico County), Allen — Asbury United Methodist Church
The original sanctuary was built in 1829 on 1/2 acre of land purchased on September 12 for $50 from Sarah Stewart and Andrew Anderson. That building, constructed from lumber from trees cut from the lot, was moved to another location when the present . . . — Map (db m3830) HM
Maryland (Wicomico County), Allen — Friendship United Methodist Church and Allen African American School
A community of free African-Americans had grown up along Old Knight's Road, now Upper Ferry Road, by the 1830's. The first church at this location was built in the autumn of 1864 and was part of the Delaware Conference, organized July 29 of the same . . . — Map (db m67163) HM
Maryland (Wicomico County), Delmar — Transpeninsular Line
Transpeninsular line between Maryland and three lower counties of Pennsylvania (now Delaware) Middle Point 8 miles ← First run 1751, agreed upon 1760 and finally ratified 1769 by King George III. Thus ending almost a century of . . . — Map (db m3834) HM
Maryland (Wicomico County), Green Hill — Old Green Hill Church
Now St. Bartholomew's Episcopal Church. Parish church of Stepney Parish, which was laid out in 1692. This building erected in 1733 replacing the first building, a log church erected about 1694, which stood about 150 yards north of the present site. — Map (db m3839) HM
Maryland (Wicomico County), Hebron — "Old Spring Hill" St. Paul's Church
Established here between 1711 and 1725 as a chapel of ease for Green Hill Church (1694) located 8 miles sout on the Wicomico River. The present ediface was completed in 1773 to replace the original structure. Some of the original furnishings still . . . — Map (db m3842) HM
Maryland (Wicomico County), Hebron — The Four Immortal Chaplains — George L. Fox - Methodist Minister; Alexander D. Goode - Jewish Rabbi — Clark V. Poling - Dutch Reformed Minister; John P. Washington - Catholic Priest
During the early morning hours of February 3, 1943, the USAT Dorchester was part of a convoy of six ships heading for Greenland when an enemy u-boat attacked, firing a torpedo into the ship's midsection. The Dorchester quickly began taking on water . . . — Map (db m41887) HM
Maryland (Wicomico County), Mardela Springs — Mason-Dixon Stone
This stone was one of many brought to America about 1767 to mark the boundary between Maryland and Delaware, then part of Pennsylvania. This one, never used, later was found and kept safe. In 2005 it was donated to Westside Historical Society by Mr. . . . — Map (db m3847) HM
Maryland (Wicomico County), Mardela Springs — Native Americans
This stone honors the memory of all the Native Americans alledged to be buried in this sacred ground. — Map (db m3849) HM
Maryland (Wicomico County), Mardela Springs — Trans-Peninsular Line Midpoint Marker
In Pre-Revolutionary Colonial America, these monuments marked the South West corner of the Three Lower Counties of the Delaware—at the time a part of the Pennsylvania Colony. Originally determined by local surveyors (two small . . . — Map (db m74130) HM
Maryland (Wicomico County), Mardela Springs — Young's Purchase Home
Young's Purchase Home 1724. Gravenor-English School 1857. Presented by Maryland Society, John Waller Chapter, National Society, Colonial Dames XVII Century. — Map (db m3855) HM
Maryland (Wicomico County), Nanticoke — Roaring Point Park
The tidal and non-tidal wetlands, upland forest, coastal dunes, and beach of this treasure of the Nanticoke River provide habitat for white-tailed deer, osprey, migratory and year-round resident birds, and nesting diamond back terrapins. Please help . . . — Map (db m45252) HM
Maryland (Wicomico County), Nanticoke — Roaring Point Park
Roaring Point Park provides a wonderful view of the lower Nanticoke River, as it widens to reach Tangier Sound and the Chesapeake Bay. The Nanticoke River was for centuries an important native American homeland. After Jamestown was founded, the . . . — Map (db m45253) HM
Maryland (Wicomico County), Salisbury — A Drop to Drink — Pemberton Plantation Historic Trail
In the colonial period, the safety of drinking water was uncertain, so people drank cider, wine, and distilled spirits instead. Each plantation made its own beverages. A cider press extracted juice from fruit. The cider could be consumed as is or . . . — Map (db m39841) HM
Maryland (Wicomico County), Salisbury — A Show of Wealth — Pemberton Plantation Historic Trail
Isaac Handy designed Pemberton Hall to impress his neighbors. At the time, over 90 percent of people in the Chesapeake region lived in small, low, clapboard houses, about half the size of the Great Room of Pemberton Hall. Building a brick, . . . — Map (db m39849) HM
Maryland (Wicomico County), Salisbury — A Water Connection — Pemberton Park Historic Trail
Beneath these waters lie the buried timbers of the oldest documented wharf of its kind in the United States. The timbers date back to 1746 when Colonel Isaac Handy built a 200-food bulkhead wharf here at Mulberry Landing. Colonel Handy had a . . . — Map (db m39847) HM
Maryland (Wicomico County), Salisbury — An Apple a Day — Pemberton Hall Historic Trail
The apple trees you see here are a reminder that fruit orchards were an essential part of Chesapeake Bay plantation life in the 18th century. Apples, peaches, and pears were on the daily menu for plantation residents. The abundant fruit was also . . . — Map (db m39848) HM
Maryland (Wicomico County), Salisbury — Beach and Birds
From the beach area you can watch the geese, ducks, and other waterfowl both on the pond and on land. They use the beach to come on shore to rest, eat, and nest. You may also watch the resident Great Blue Herons as they fish in the shallow water . . . — Map (db m79223)
Maryland (Wicomico County), Salisbury — Charles H. Chipman Cultural Center
Built in 1838, the Chipman Center is the oldest standing African-American church on Delmarva. It occupies the site of a former open meadow where slaves gathered for worship services conducted by Methodist circuit riders. In 1837 five local freedmen . . . — Map (db m41874) HM
Maryland (Wicomico County), Salisbury — Dry Thickets
Here, on the dry side of the path, the plants have created a thicket, an almost impenetrable spot of woods. The thicket is full of sharp thorns, prickers, poison ivy, berry bushes and greenbrier.

Dry thickets provide a special nursery for birds . . . — Map (db m79227)

Maryland (Wicomico County), Salisbury — Fruited Trees and Vines
These trees, shrubs, bushes, and vines often have more extensive root systems than plants deeper in the wetland woods. They can hold the soil in place more effectively and offer a valuable front-line protective barrier for the pond edge and the . . . — Map (db m79228)
Maryland (Wicomico County), Salisbury — Gen. John Henry Winder, C.S.A. — 1800-1865
Born near Nanticoke, John Henry Winder was successively a graduate and instructor at West Point. A veteran of the Seminole and Mexican wars, Gen. Winder joined the Confederacy in 1861, and eventually directed all Confederate military prisons east of . . . — Map (db m3858) HM
Maryland (Wicomico County), Salisbury — Green Hill Town and Port
Authorized by act of Assembly 1706 (one of 6 ports) "where vessels shall unlade Negroes wares merchandizes and commodities" 100 acres to be laid out in lots with open spaces left for church, market place, and public buildings. Present church built . . . — Map (db m19236) HM
Maryland (Wicomico County), Salisbury — Harriet Tubman — c. 1821 - 1913
"The midnight sky and the silent stars have been the witness of your devotion to freedom and of your heroism," wrote fellow abolitionist and Eastern Shore native Frederick Douglass of Harriet Tubman. A Civil War nurse, scout, spy, military . . . — Map (db m51021) HM
Maryland (Wicomico County), Salisbury — Here We Mark the Price of Freedom — Duty Honor Country
To honor and commemorate all Wicomico County citizens whose valor and sacrifice in defense of our country must never be forgotten. "All gave some - some gave all." Those listed here gave all.

Dedicated on May 26, 2003 by the Wicomico County . . . — Map (db m41906) WM

Maryland (Wicomico County), Salisbury — Historic Byrd Tavern
On this spot stood the historic Byrd Tavern, a famous hostelry in stage coach days. — Map (db m3857) HM
Maryland (Wicomico County), Salisbury — Holloway Hall
Original building of the Salisbury State Normal School, the first public institution on the Eastern Shore for the training of teachers for Maryland's public schools. Opened in 1925 and expanded in 1928 and 1932, it was until 1950 the only building . . . — Map (db m39783) HM
Maryland (Wicomico County), Salisbury — Johnson School-house Game Refuge
175 acres, purchased May 25, 1926, from L. Atwood Bennett, attorney for mortgagee; from hunter’s license fund for the purpose of propagating game. — Map (db m4388) HM
Maryland (Wicomico County), Salisbury — Nature's Pasture — Pemberton Park Historic Trail
If you had stood here 250 years ago, you would likely have seen cattle grazing in the tidal marshlands. The area between the mainland and Bell Island was known as "Handy's Meadow." Following Colonel Handy's death in 1762, his three sons continued to . . . — Map (db m39844) HM
Maryland (Wicomico County), Salisbury — Newtown Historic District
Established by ordinance in 1975, Newtown is distinguished by residential reconstruction after the two severe fires in 1860 and 1886. The district contains fine Victorian architecture and a notable example of the Federal period. Poplar Hill Mansion, . . . — Map (db m3835) HM
Maryland (Wicomico County), Salisbury — Newtown Historic District
Established by ordinance in 1975, Newtown is distinguished by residential reconstruction after the two severe fires in 1860 and 1886. The district contains fine Victorian architecture and a notable example of the Federal period. Poplar Hill Mansion, . . . — Map (db m3838) HM
Maryland (Wicomico County), Salisbury — Non Native Plants
Whenever people, through building, agriculture forestry, or other means, disturb land there are certain plants that take advantage of the disturbed soil. These plants are known as "invasives." Often they can take over an area and crowd out other . . . — Map (db m79215)
Maryland (Wicomico County), Salisbury — Open Pond
From the deck you see several important shallow water plants. Most visible is the broad leaved cattail with its brown, cigar-like top. In the spring, there is a yellow top above the brown. The thin, tall native plant with the pinkish-purple flowers . . . — Map (db m79222)
Maryland (Wicomico County), Salisbury — Parsons Cemetery
The land for the original portion of the cemetery was bequeathed by Benjamin Parsons to Saint Peter's Protestant Episcopal Church. The first plat was recorded in 1873 showing the location of the burial plot of the Parsons Family. Additional lands . . . — Map (db m45249) HM
Maryland (Wicomico County), Salisbury — Pemberton Hall
Built in 1741 by Col. Isaac Handy, planter, lawyer, founder of Salisbury and officer of the local militia during the Revolution. He had operated a lumber business at Handy's Landing at the head of the Wicomico River where in 1732, Salisbury Town was . . . — Map (db m3856) HM
Maryland (Wicomico County), Salisbury — Pemberton Hall
Pemberton Hall is gambrel-roofed, three room plan house built in 1741. It is distinguished by Flemish bond brickwork with glazed header patterning, plastered cove cornices and extensive original mid-eighteenth century interior woodwork and . . . — Map (db m79169) HM
Maryland (Wicomico County), Salisbury — Plantation Barnyard — Pemberton Plantation Historic Trail
Like most Chesapeake plantations, Pemberton used a wide range of domestic animals for food, clothing, transportation, and commercial products. Most animals served multiple purposes. Cattle provided milk, meat, hides to tan, and cattle horns for . . . — Map (db m39851) HM
Maryland (Wicomico County), Salisbury — Poplar Hill Mansion
"Poplar Hill Mansion" (traditional name thought to be of nineteenth century origin) was built ca 1805. It was accepted for the National Register of Historic Places on October 7, 1971. The property was purchased by the State of Maryland in 1974 and . . . — Map (db m3841) HM
Maryland (Wicomico County), Salisbury — Rockawalkin School circa 1872
One-room schoolhouse built for the community of Rockawalkin. It held grades 1 through 7. Later 1 through 5. Located on northeast corner of Maryland Route 349 and Rockawalkin road, it was abandoned as a school in 1939. Moved to this location, 1973. — Map (db m3845) HM
Maryland (Wicomico County), Salisbury — Samuel Chase — 17 April 1741 - 19 June 1811
Signer of the Declaration of Independence Judge of the General Court of MD 1781. Judge of Baltimore County Court 1793. Judge of the U.S. Supreme Court 1796. — Map (db m73049) HM
Maryland (Wicomico County), Salisbury — St. Peter's Church
The present St. Peter's Church is the third building to stand on this site. St. Peter's Church was built as a chapel on a a two-acre site. It was completed in 1772, at a cost of 600 English pounds, and measured 45 feet by 65 feet. Many knew it . . . — Map (db m3861) HM
Maryland (Wicomico County), Salisbury — The "Peculiar Institution" at Pemberton Plantation — Pemberton Plantation Historic Trail
Like most 18th-century plantations in the Chesapeake region, Pemberton Hall Plantation depended on slave labor. Between 1700 and 1740, some 54,000 slaves were brought to the Chesapeake region. When Isaac Handy died in 1762, records show that he . . . — Map (db m39850) HM
Maryland (Wicomico County), Salisbury — The General Humphreys Cannon
. . . — Map (db m81087) WM
Maryland (Wicomico County), Salisbury — The Great Salisbury Fire
On October 17, 1886 a small fire was discovered at Toadvine's Livery Stable on Dock Street, now Market Street. Fire spread very rapidly and eventually consumed 200 buildings including most of the commerical district. Soon after the fire began, . . . — Map (db m3860) HM
Maryland (Wicomico County), Salisbury — The Original Residents — Pemberton Park Historic Trail
For millennia before Europeans arrived, the Chesapeake region was home to Native Americans and to a rich diversity of wildlife. Black bears and wolves roamed the woods while beaver, muskrat and otters foraged the wetlands. Schools of sturgeon, perch . . . — Map (db m39846) HM
Maryland (Wicomico County), Salisbury — The Road to Salisbury Town — Pemberton Plantation Historic Trail
This road connected Pemberton Hall Plantation to two places of interest to Colonel Isaac Handy. It led to Handy Hall, the neighboring plantation which Isaac gave to his son George in 1750, and to Salisbury Town, which Colonel Handy helped to . . . — Map (db m39843) HM
Maryland (Wicomico County), Salisbury — Waterside
The water here is still relatively shallow, but deeper than the wetlands we saw upon entering the walkway. Bluegills, bass and pickerel hide in the overhanging bushes. The types of plants along the edge vary with the depth of the water. There are . . . — Map (db m79220)
Maryland (Wicomico County), Salisbury — Welcome
Welcome to the Ward Museum of Waterfowl Art Norman Glenn Nature Trail. The trail runs along the western side of Schumaker Pond, one of the five headwaters of the Chesapeake Bay. Along the pond you can fish, bird watch, picnic and more. It also . . . — Map (db m79221)
Maryland (Wicomico County), Salisbury — Welcome to Pemberton Historical Park
Step back in time to the 18th century. Imagine a prosperous plantation growing grain, tobacco and flax, operating small industries and shipping the products to colonial ports and to England. This was Pemberton Hall Plantation in the mid 1700s. . . . — Map (db m3859) HM
Maryland (Wicomico County), Salisbury — West Salisbury Little League 2007 Mid-Atlantic Champions
In the summer of 2007, eleven boys from West Salisbury Little League embarked on a spiritual journey that captured the hearts and minds of our town and surrounding communities. The journey began in June 2007, where they were assembled together for . . . — Map (db m43737) HM
Maryland (Wicomico County), Salisbury — Wetland Marsh
The wetlands in the Chesapeake Bay watershed are some of the richest, most productive ecosystems in the world. They may be fresh-water, brackish, or salty and are the home and the breeding grounds of extensive numbers of our most important Bay . . . — Map (db m79216)
Maryland (Wicomico County), Salisbury — Wicomico County War Memorial
In honor of all those from Wicomico County who lost their lives in the service of their country. — Map (db m39784) HM
Maryland (Wicomico County), Salisbury — Wicomico Presbyterian Church
On March 12, 1672, Somerset County granted Presbyterians permission to conduct regular services on the Wicomico River. The first church located six miles down river, was one of five churches organized by Francis Mackemie in 1683. It moved to . . . — Map (db m3828) HM
Maryland (Wicomico County), Salisbury — Wicomico Wetlands
Wetlands, interspersed with sections of high ground, mark the banks of the Wicomico River as it flows into Chesapeake Bay. These wetlands are vital to the ecosystem, providing habitat for a host of organisms. Wetlands help to filter pollutants from . . . — Map (db m39845) HM
Maryland (Wicomico County), Salisbury — Wildfowl Blind
This area was developed thanks to the efforts of the local Boy Scouts to provide a protected area from which to watch the birds. Watch how the different waterfowl feed. Some "stand on their head", tail-up to nibble on the underwater plants. Others . . . — Map (db m79225)
Maryland (Wicomico County), Salisbury — Wooded Wetland
Wetland is an area where the primary factor controlling the plants and animals is water. In wetland woods, conditions during the year may be wet enough that only certain trees, shrubs, and other plants may survive. Our wetland woods area is just . . . — Map (db m79217)
Maryland (Wicomico County), Salisbury — World War II Memorial - Salisbury College
In honor of those students and faculty who served in the Armed Forces in World War II. (List of 100s of names). — Map (db m51120) HM
Maryland (Wicomico County), Salisbury — Wye Oak Seedling
Presented by Richard J. Robertson. Dedicated April 29, 1977. — Map (db m3863) HM
Maryland (Wicomico County), San Domingo — San Domingo School
Built in 1919 under the Rosenwald School building program, a major effort to improve public education for African Americans in the early 20th century south. First administered by Tuskegee Institute under Booker T. Washington, the program combined . . . — Map (db m39834) HM
Maryland (Wicomico County), San Domingo — San Domingo School Community & Cultural Center
The first school at this location, built around 1875, was a single story, one-room plan frame building that served the Sharptown District for over forty years. Built in 1919 to replace the first school, this two-story, hip roofed frame structure was . . . — Map (db m39835) HM
Maryland (Wicomico County), Sharptown — Chesapeake Bay Restoration in Progress — Sharptown Living Shoreline
What is a "Living Shoreline?" A natural shoreline with a gradual transition between the bank and water's edge. Typically, planted with native (plants common to the local area) trees, shrubs and grasses - living shorelines do not end abrubtly at . . . — Map (db m39837) HM
Maryland (Wicomico County), Sharptown — Sharptown War Memorial
In memory of all who served in the two World Wars and in unforgetting remembrance of those who gave their lives for our country — Map (db m39836) HM
Maryland (Wicomico County), Whitehaven — Whitehaven
Chartered by Charles Calvert, 3rd Lord Baltimore, c. 1685. Town Incorporated c. 1702. Ferry operated here as early as 1692. Settlers were led by Col. George Gale of Whitehaven in the North of England. His first wife, Mildred Warner Washington . . . — Map (db m3864) HM

62 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.