Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Historical Marker Pages Containing “Falls Church”

 
East Falls Church Map image, Touch for more information
By Craig Swain, April 7, 2012
East Falls Church Map
Virginia (Arlington County), East Falls Church — East Falls Church
In the 1700s, Falls Church began along two Indian trails and included large farms anchored by an Anglican church. Several taverns and inns served as resting spots for travelers on their way to or from Leesburg, Virginia. By the 1840s, Falls Church . . . — Map (db m55960) HM

Virginia, Falls Church — Falls ChurchBetween the Armies
In 1861, Falls Church was a farm village located on the Alexandria-Leesburg Turnpike. On May 24, when Virginia's vote of secession became effective, Union troops crossed the Potomac and occupied Arlington Heights and Alexandria. On June 1, the 2nd . . . — Map (db m2825) HM

Virginia (Arlington County), Arlington — Original West Corner Stone
Original West Corner Stone District of Columbia 1791 - 1792 Dedication 1952 Rededication 1989 Falls Church Chapter, NSDAR — Map (db m72939) HM
Virginia (Arlington County), East Falls Church — East Falls Church Station
In August 1940, when this photograph was taken, passenger service on the Washington & Old Dominion was losing money and was being phased out. Passenger service stopped altogether in April 1941, but resumed two years later to support the national war . . . — Map (db m55964) HM
Virginia, Falls Church — Big Chimneys
Large log house named for its two huge chimneys. One datestone was inscribed 1699, the traditional date quoted for the community's founding. First recorded owner of site is Henry Gunnell (1773 22.75 acre grant). James Gordon, owner 1803-1836, had . . . — Map (db m4192) HM
Virginia, Falls Church — Cherry Hill
Greek revival house believed built in 1845 by Wm. Harvey, who bought 66.5 acres (part of 1729 248-acre Trammell grant). Outbuildings added about 1857. Name derived from trees lining lane from Leesburg Turnpike. In 1870, Joseph S. Riley bought the . . . — Map (db m555) HM
Virginia, Falls Church — City of Falls Church Veterans Memorial
City of Falls Church Veterans Memorial Dedicated by The Citizens of Falls Church To all men and women who served their country during war and peace May 30, 1994 [Dedication plaque on Flag Pole] Flag . . . — Map (db m125855) WM
Virginia, Falls Church — Columbia Baptist Church
In 1859, the church trustees bought this ½ acre (part of 1729 248-acre Trammell Grant) for $100. The 2-story clapboard over timber church served as a Union hospital and appears in Matthew Brady photos. Pastor John Read was shot by Mosby Troops . . . — Map (db m17576) HM
Virginia, Falls Church — Dulin Methodist Church
After the Civil War demolition of Fairfax Chapel, the original part of this Gothic revival church was built by Southern sympathizers in 1869 on 2 acres donated by Wm. Y. Dulin (Part of 1742 208-acre Geo. Harrison Grant). Original chapel now forms . . . — Map (db m2841) HM
Virginia, Falls Church — Fairfax Chapel
Circuit riders brought Methodism to area in the late 1700s, holding meetings in homes. Fairfax Circuit initiated in 1776. Clapboard chapel built in 1779 and enlarged in 1798 on acre of land donated in 1818 by heirs of George Minor (a part of 1731 . . . — Map (db m86184) HM
Virginia, Falls Church — Falls Church Home FrontCherry Hill Farm in the Civil War
Although soldiers repeatedly overran and raided Cherry Hill Farm during the Civil War, this ca. 1845 farmhouse and the ca. 1856 barn behind it survived almost intact. William Blaisdell, of Massachusetts paid $4,000 for the 66-acre property in 1856. . . . — Map (db m65407) HM
Virginia, Falls Church — Hangman's Tree
On this site stood the Hangman's Tree According to legend, an old oak used by Col. Mosby to hang Union spies after the Battle of The Peach Orchard during the Civil War. The tree was removed 1968. Marker by the Falls Chruch . . . — Map (db m37608) HM
Virginia, Falls Church — Henderson House
This colonial revival bungalow (part of 1724 1,279-acre Pearson Grant) bought by Dr. Edwin B. Henderson in 1913. Henderson's ancestors include Powhattan Chief Mimetou. In 1904 he was first African-American certified to teach physical education; . . . — Map (db m4202) HM
Virginia, Falls Church — Jefferson Institute
In 1875, citizens of newly chartered town subscribed to build school, as classes were held in Baptist Church, in 1880 Joseph Birch donated land (a part of 1837 24.5-acre Kidwell grant) specifying it always must be used for education. In 1882 . . . — Map (db m2856) HM
Virginia, Falls Church — New York Memorial Stone at Falls Church
In Memory of the Civil War Soldiers who were buried here in this Hallowed Ground 1861-1864 Edward Bowman, 21st NYVI John Decker, 20th NYSM Patrick Doyle, 20th NYSM Horace Dougherty, 144th NYVI Franklin E. Dunham, 20th NYSM . . . — Map (db m77610) WM
Virginia, Falls Church — Pearson's Funeral Home
This property at 472 N. Washington St. was part of a 1729 land grant from Lord Fairfax to John Trammell. Developed only after half the original 248 acres was sold in 1865 to Isaac Crossman, and the Fairfax and Georgetown Turnpike (now Lee Highway) . . . — Map (db m125860) HM
Virginia, Falls Church — Presbyterian Church
In 1846 Presbyterians first met in private homes. In 1854, Dr. Simon J. Groot bought 11 acres for $179 (part of 1729 246-acre Trammell grant); Built two-story Groot Hall in 1856; Used for Sunday services, private school, community groups, town hall, . . . — Map (db m2865) HM
Virginia, Falls Church — Presidential Visit to Falls Church, 1911
July 21, 1911 was the 50th anniversary of the 1861 Confederate victory at Bull Run (Manassas), the first major land battle of the Civil War. For the occasion President William Howard Taft left the White House with a four-car caravan to drive the . . . — Map (db m125857) HM
Virginia, Falls Church — Rolling Roads
Site believed near intersection of two indian trails, later used by colonial horsemen and wagons. Tobacco growers improved the routes for delivering this valuable crop which was about ½ of all colonial exports. Draft animals pulled large . . . — Map (db m4204) HM
Virginia, Falls Church — Tallwood
Neo-colonial Brice residence, built in 1870 on 95-acre farm of John Green (Part of 1742 208-acre Harrison grant). Yale Rice, descendant of founder of Yale Univ., bought the property in 1890. Dr. and Mrs. Milton Eisenhower owned the house 1938-1943; . . . — Map (db m2838) HM
Virginia, Falls Church — Taylor’s Tavern
Two-story building with verandahs stood on 56 acres bought in 1856 by Wm. Taylor (part of 1731 271-acre T. Harrison grant). Tavern faced Alexandria-Leesburg Pike west of Junction with Georgetown Road (Wilson Blvd.). Near here on June 24, 1861, . . . — Map (db m2837) HM
Virginia, Falls Church — The Birch House
Located on 2.1 acres of land purchased by Joseph E. Birch for $105 in 1849 (part of 1837 24.5-acre Kidwell grant). Original house was 1 1/2 story "I" house, raised to 2-stories in 1850s; 1873 addition doubled the size. Blacksmith/farmer Birch was on . . . — Map (db m2858) HM
Virginia, Falls Church — C-90 — The Falls Church
The first church on this site was built in 1734 and was in Truro Parish. George Washington was elected a vestryman, October 3, 1763. In 1765 the church fell within the newly created Fairfax Parish, of which Washington was chosen a vestryman. The . . . — Map (db m4189) HM
Virginia, Falls Church — The Falls Church
This Georgian-style church designed and built in 1767-69 by James Wren, related to Sir Christopher, replacing the 1733 frame structure on 2-acre lot (part of 1729 248-acre Trammel grant). Washington and Mason were vestrymen. After the 1788 . . . — Map (db m2870) HM
Virginia, Falls Church — C-90 — The Falls Church
The first church on this site was built in 1734 and was in Truro Parish. George Washington was elected a vestryman, October 3, 1763. In 1765 the church fell within the newly created Fairfax Parish, of which Washington was chosen a vestryman. The . . . — Map (db m4189) HM
Virginia, Falls Church — The Falls ChurchVandalism and Renewal
The Civil War dramatically affected this 1769 Anglican/Episcopal church that stands before you. The congregation disbanded as the war broke out, with some families fleeing the village. Confederate forces occupied the church in August and September . . . — Map (db m72085) HM
Virginia, Falls Church — The Story of Big Chimneys1699-1914
"Big Chimneys," named for its two large brick chimneys, was probably the first permanent structure on the land that is today within the City of Falls Church. The home stood just east of this sign. The year "1699," inscribed on a chimney-stone, is . . . — Map (db m4201) HM
Virginia, Falls Church — To the Glory of God and in Honor of George Washington
To the glory of God and in honor of George Washington who was a vestryman in 1765 of the old Falls Church Built A.D. 1734 This tablet was placed by the Falls Church Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution October . . . — Map (db m77601) HM
Virginia, Falls Church — Town Hall
Town was incorporated in 1875. A simple frame town hall was built here about 1880 on 1/4 acre (part of 1729 248-acre Trammell grant). Town Hall bell was rung for council meetings and fires. Later used only for police station. Torn down in 1953. Town . . . — Map (db m2871) HM
Virginia, Falls Church — Turnpike Tollgate
(Text on Front of Marker): Alexandria-Leesburg Pike, chartered in 1813, was completed after 1838. An 1862 map shows a house and tollgate on four acres bought by John Williams in 1857 (Part of 1837 24.5-acre Kidwell grant). An older tollhouse . . . — Map (db m125848) HM
Virginia, Falls Church — Virginia Training School
(Front Side of Marker): The Duryee home and 11 acres were bought by Mattie Gundry in 1899 for $2,500 (part of 1773 22,75-acre Gunnell grant). On this site she opened the Virginia Training School for retarded children. At that time, it was the . . . — Map (db m125844) HM
Virginia, Falls Church — West Falls Church Station
In 1912, from the station that stood nearby to your right, you could board a modern interuban passenger coach at 7:34 a.m. and arrive in Georgetown by 8:00 sharp. It was a new century and Washington, D.C., was on the move. The demand was heavy in . . . — Map (db m2901) HM

Virginia, Falls Church — Living in FearMosby's Falls Church Raid
Confederate Col. John Singleton Mosby's Partisan Rangers (43rd Battalion Virginia Cavalry) conducted raids on Falls Church through the summer and fall of 1864. On the night of October 17, a detachment of Mosby's command rode through the village down . . . — Map (db m69552) HM

Virginia (Arlington County), Arlington — Crossman House
George Grant Crossman built this late Victorian vernacular farmhouse in 1892 for his bride Nellie Dodge. Three generations of the Crossman family operated a 60-acre dairy farm on the site until 1949. The Crossman family played a significant role in . . . — Map (db m43540) HM

Virginia, Falls Church — Henry Fairfax
In Memory of Henry Fairfax An upright magistrate A sincere Christian Died in command of The Fairfax Volunteers at Saltillo Mexico 1847 But for his munificence This church might still have been a ruin. Erected by the . . . — Map (db m77662) HM WM

Virginia, Falls Church — Tinner Hill Monument
(Left Side Plaque): This monument commemorates the inhabitants of the Tinner Hill area who risked their livelihoods and their lives to defend the principles of the U.S. Bill of Rights. Constructed by the Tinner Hill Heritage Foundation . . . — Map (db m4203) HM

Virginia (Arlington County), Arlington — Lacey Car Barn
In 1896, the Washington, Arlington & Falls Church Railway began running electric trolleys from Rosslyn to Falls Church on the present routes of Fairfax Drive and I-66. By 1907, the line linked downtown Washington to Ballston, Vienna, and the Town of . . . — Map (db m64845) HM
Virginia (Arlington County), Arlington — SW No. 9 Mile Marker
Original Federal Boundary Stone District of Columbia 1791 Protected by Falls Church Chapter, NSDAR Dedication 1916   Rededication 1989 — Map (db m72996) HM
Virginia, Falls Church — C-91 — Tinner Hill
An early rural branch of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) was founded here on Tinner Hill. In 1915, the Town of Falls Church proposed an ordinance to segregate black and white residential sections. Local African . . . — Map (db m55735) HM

Virginia (Fairfax County), Fairfax Station — Skirmish at St. Mary’sVictory or Death
Monday, August 8, 1864, was a hot and sultry day. Capt. John McMenamin of the 15th New York Volunteer Cavalry and Capt. James Fleming of the 16th New York Volunteer Cavalry had stopped at St. Mary's Church on the Ox Road (now Fairfax Station Rd.), . . . — Map (db m186) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Vienna — Terror by the Tracks
On October 18, 1864 Reverend John B. Read, a lay preacher at the Falls Church Baptist Church, was executed in dense pine woods by the railroad bridge here at Piney Branch. Early that morning a contingent of Confederate Colonel John Singleton Mosby's . . . — Map (db m24865) HM
Virginia, Falls Church — Taylor’s TavernProfessor Lowe's Balloons
At the beginning of the war, Union commanders were uncertain of Confederate intentions and military capabilities. On June 22, 1861, civilian balloonist Thaddeus S.C. Lowe inflated his racing balloon Enterprise at the Washington Gas Company to . . . — Map (db m41495) HM

Virginia (Arlington County), Arlington — 23 — Confederate Outpost
In August 1861, while U.S. forces were constructing the Arlington line three miles to the east, the Confederates established a fortified outpost on the high ground about 200 yards west of here, to guard the bridge by which the Georgetown - Falls . . . — Map (db m68764) HM
Virginia (Arlington County), Arlington — Little Falls Road
Little Falls Road was originally a trail from the Indian villages at the head of Four Mile Run to the Potomac River fisheries just below the Little Falls. Later it was developed as a wagon road from the settlement at the Falls Church to Thomas Lee’s . . . — Map (db m55811) HM
Virginia (Arlington County), Arlington — 10 — The Arlington Line
Historical Site Defenses of Washington 1861-1865 The Arlington Line Here the Arlington Line constructed in August, 1861, crossed the Georgetown-Falls Church road. 100 yards to the northwest stood Fort Morton, a lunette with a perimeter of 250 . . . — Map (db m5161) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Merrifield — B-14 — Camp Russell A. Alger
Named for Secretary of War Russell A. Alger, the camp was established in May 1898 on a 1,400-acre farm called Woodburn Manor. Some 23,000 men trained here for service in the Spanish-American War. The large military population greatly affected the . . . — Map (db m4183) HM
Virginia, Falls Church — Harriet and George BriceSeizing Freedom and Facing Challenges
You are standing across the street from land that Harriet Brice, a “free woman of color,” purchased in 1864. Together with her husband, George Brice, she struggled to farm the property during the Civil War. Although we had gained her . . . — Map (db m72112) HM
Virginia, Falls Church — James Wren
In grateful memory of James Wren 1728 – 1815 Vestryman, Trustee & Architect of The Falls Church — Map (db m77643) HM

Virginia (Arlington County), Arlington — Rosslyn Station
If you were a passenger on the Washington & Old Dominion Railway heading into Georgetown, you would first have to pass through Rosslyn, Virginia, a 15-minute train ride from here. The first Rosslyn Terminal dated from 1906, with the establishment . . . — Map (db m24926) HM
Virginia (Loudoun County), Leesburg — Clarkes Gap
At 582 feet, Clarkes Gap, up the hill to your left, was the highest point on the Washington & Old Dominion Railroad. The stone bridge dates from the 1870s, when the tracks were completed to Clarkes Gap. The station stood on the site where you are . . . — Map (db m2031) HM

Virginia (Fairfax County), Herndon — This is W&OD Trail: Herndon!
(front side, left panel) This is W&OD Trail: Herndon! The 100-ft wide W&OD has been called "the skinniest park" in Virginia. But it is also one of the longest parks, 45 miles of paved trail for walking, running, cycling and . . . — Map (db m115846) HM

Virginia (Arlington County), Arlington — 26 — Ball's Crossroads
This intersection has been a focal point since about 1740, when two roads were developed, one from the future site to Alexandria to the mouth of Pimmit Run, the other from Awbury’s Ferry (at the site of Rosslyn) to the Falls Church. The first came . . . — Map (db m55969) HM
Virginia (Arlington County), Arlington — 25 — Ballston
By 1900 a well-defined village called Central Ballston had developed in the area bounded by the present Wilson Boulevard, Taylor Street, Washington Boulevard, and Pollard Street. More diffuse settlement extended westward to Lubber Run and southward . . . — Map (db m72026) HM
Virginia (Arlington County), Arlington — The Glebe of Fairfax Parish
The glebe was a 500-acre farm provided for the rector of Fairfax Parish, which included both Christ Church, Alexandria, and the Falls Church. The Glebe House, built in 1775, stood here. It burned in 1808 and was rebuilt in 1820, as a hunting lodge; . . . — Map (db m57022) HM
Virginia (Arlington County), Arlington — 33 — Wunder's Crossroads
For more than half a century from the mid-1800’s the intersection of Lee Highway and Glebe Road was known as Wunders Crossroads after the family whose farm lay just northeast. Dr. Henry S. Wunder and his son George O. Wunder were leading citizens of . . . — Map (db m56255) HM
Virginia (Clarke County), Berryville — James IrelandMinister of the Gospel
In memory of 1746 James Ireland 1806 Minister of the Gospel Born in Edinburgh, Scotland and converted in Frederick County, Va. Baptized and ordained at Sandy Creek, N.C. Imprisoned at Culpeper, Va. for preaching the gospel organizer of Baptist . . . — Map (db m18636) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Seven Corners — T-49 — Fort Buffalo
Nearby once stood Fort Buffalo. This earthwork fortification was built by the 21st New York Infantry of the Union army in 1861 and named for the troops’ hometown. During the Civil War, a concentration of forts existed in the Seven Corners section . . . — Map (db m7399) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Vienna — Hunter Station
The 1860 Alexandria, Loudoun, and Hampshire Railroad station at this junction was called a flag stop - a passenger would step out and flag down the train to catch a ride. At the time that the 1900 picture to the left was taken, the railroad was . . . — Map (db m24791) HM
Virginia, Falls Church — Star Tavern
(Front Side of Marker): After no luck in western goldmines Walter H. Erwin in 1852 bought two acres for $100 (part of 1729 248-acre Trammel grant). Built frame tavern on this site which became a landmark on Leesburg Pike. 1861 sketch shows it . . . — Map (db m2874) HM
Virginia, Falls Church — Wren’s Tavern
Famous ordinary believed to be part of Federal-style mansion built on 145 acres bought for $291 in 1787 by James Wren (part of 1742 208-acre G. Harrison grant). Lying north of Alexandria-Leesburg Rolling Road, tavern operated 1789-1815 under James . . . — Map (db m2842) HM

District of Columbia (Washington), Fairfax Village — Original Federal Boundary Stone SE 3
Original Federal Boundary Stone District of Columbia Placed 1791-1792 Protected by Ruth Brewster Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution 1916 — Map (db m82433) HM
Virginia, Fairfax — Peyton Anderson
Peyton Anderson of the Rappahannock Cavalry was severely wounded on picket duty 122 ft. N.W. of this spot May 27, 1861. The first soldier of the South to shed his blood for the Confederacy. — Map (db m115863) HM

Virginia, Alexandria — Christ ChurchCity of Alexandria Est. 1749
Before the American Revolution, the Church of England was the established church of Virginia and part of the colonial government. For administrative purposes, the colony was divided into "parishes" and all residents paid taxes to maintain church . . . — Map (db m115716) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Fort Belvoir — The Influence of the Fairfax Family
William Fairfax: • fought in Spain for Queen Anne; • was a member of the Royal Navy; • served as Governor of New Providence, Bahama Islands, • served as an agent to manage, the Northern Neck Proprietary; • was a Vestryman of Pohick . . . — Map (db m35116) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 29 — Reverend Charles F.X. GoldsmithDecember 22, 1845 - November 24, 1890
Charles was born in Rochester, New York. At the early age of thirteen he entered the provincial seminary of St. Francis near Milwaukee. He graduated in 1864 and then entered the American College at Louvain, Belgium. There he earned two divinity . . . — Map (db m39937) HM

Virginia (Arlington County), Arlington — Pimmit Run and Chain Bridge
Pimmit Run is a stream that runs from the Pimmit Hills neighborhood in Falls Church and joins the Potomac River immediately south of Chain Bridge. The mouth of Pimmit Run provided Native Americans and settlers access to fresh water and fishing, the . . . — Map (db m59708) HM
Virginia (Arlington County), Arlington — Washington and Old Dominion Trail
W & OD Trail. The 100-foot-wide Washington and Old Dominion Railroad Regional Park (W&OD Trail) features a 45-mile asphalt trail for walking, running, skating, bicycling and other activities and a 33-mile parallel, gravel bridle path for . . . — Map (db m2406) HM

Virginia, Alexandria — Within Its WallsA Foundation for Education and Opportunity
Clara Shorts Adams and Robert Adams conveyed a quarter-acre to the Falls Church School District of Fairfax County in 1898 for the purpose of educating African American children. The one-room "Colored School Building at Seminary" was the first public . . . — Map (db m81515) HM

Virginia (Fairfax County), Vienna — Strategic JunctionHunter Mill Road and the AL&H Railroad
At the beginning of the American Civil War in mid-1861, Union General Irvin McDowell, Commander, Army of Northeastern Virginia, knew that his army lacked an adequate supply of wagons. The Alexandria, Loudoun, and Hampshire Railroad (today's W&OD . . . — Map (db m24864) HM

69 markers matched your search criteria. These linguistically-based search results have been ranked by where matching words were found. Results of different rank are separated by horizontal rules. Within the same rank, results are sorted by state or province; county, parish or shire; town; and title.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.