[Front Side of Marker]:
The 17th Infantry, created by Congress in 1812 and formed with personnel from western states, was the only Regular Army regiment in General James Winchester's column of the Army of the Northwest's campaign to . . . — — Map (db m28203) HM
[Front Side of Marker]: "Amos Spafford"
In 1810, early settlers here were Major Amos Spafford (1753-1818), his wife Olive (1756-1823), and their children Samuel, Aurora , Chloe (Mrs. Almon Gibbs), and Anna (Mrs. Richard Craw). In 1796, . . . — — Map (db m28274) HM
[Front Side of Marker]: "Army Lodge No. 24 Free and Accepted Masons"
Settlers and soldiers moving west brought with them familiar institutions such as the Masonic Lodge. Here at Camp Meigs, military officers were authorized by Ohio . . . — — Map (db m28346) HM
The original of this monument to Oliver Hazard Perry, hero of the Battle of Lake Erie on September 10, 1813, was created in marble in 1860 by New York Sculptor William Walcutt for the City of Cleveland. When that City had the statues cast in bronze, . . . — — Map (db m29592) HM
Construction on Fort Meigs began in February 1813. Soldiers traveling to Fort Meigs passed through the Great Black Swamp, a nearly impenetrable morass 40 miles across and 120 miles wide south of the fort. The harsh winter weather and frontier . . . — — Map (db m42090) HM
Fort Meigs was built during the early days of the War of 1812. The United States began the conflict by declaring war against England in June 1812 to redress insults suffered on the high seas including the impressment of American sailors; to protect . . . — — Map (db m42062) HM
While Easterners were more concerned with diplomatic issues relating to Europe, the war west of the Appalachian Mountains took on a different character. The war in the West was a continuation of a long series of Indian wars dating back to the 1750s. . . . — — Map (db m42064) HM
The war in the West had gone poorly for the United States. In August 1812, Gen. William Hull surrendered Detroit and his entire army to the British. On January 22, 1813, a second United States army led by James Winchester was defeated at French Town . . . — — Map (db m42067) HM
American soldiers commanded by William Henry Harrison had been following Winchester with supplies and garrison troops. After learning of the French Town defeat, they fell back to the Portage River in Ohio. On February 1, 1813, Harrison advanced to . . . — — Map (db m42068) HM
The village of Perrysburg was founded in 1816 and Wood County in 1820. In 1822 the town established a village cemetery and located it on the southwest corner of West Indiana at Cherry Streets. By 1848 it was full and a new . . . — — Map (db m67524) HM
General William Henry Harrison, commander of the Army of the West, selected this site in February 1813, and on it erected Fort Meigs as a defense against the military operations of the English, with whom the United States was then at war.
On . . . — — Map (db m19271) HM
You are standing on "Corn Cob Hill" where corn was once shelled, weighed and and lowered in hopper cars into a grain elevator below, thence onto ships.
Under the bridge to the left is the foot of the rapids where non-native settlement started in . . . — — Map (db m29448) HM
Wounded May 1, 1813, on the opening day of the siege of Fort Meigs. Died May 11 of tetanus; buried May 12 in front of the "Grand Battery" on the spot where he received the wound that caused his death.
A native of Connecticut, Major Stoddard . . . — — Map (db m29423) HM
Built in 1847, during the Presidency of Polk, when Perrysburg was the County Seat, and used as the Jail and Infirmary until 1870. Continued to serve as the Perrysburg Jail until 1899, sold by the town in 1918. Acquired and restored by Mr. and Mrs. . . . — — Map (db m67525) HM
[West Side of Marker] : "Perrysburg"
Following the War of 1812, settlers reestablished the 1810 Maumee River town, Port Miami of Lake Erie, on the land below the deserted Fort Meigs. The inhabitants nicknamed the new town "Orleans of . . . — — Map (db m29579) HM
When American Pioneers attempted to settle the area north and west of the Ohio River, following the Ordinance of 1787,the Indians aided by the British in Canada, fought valiantly and fiercely for their homes in the Ohio Country. It required the . . . — — Map (db m996) HM
[Front Side]: "The Maumee and Western Reserve Road"
Sandusky Street (U.S. Highway 20) is the former Maumee and Western Reserve Turnpike. Native American tribes northwest of the Ohio River ceded the right of way for this 46-mile road . . . — — Map (db m21930) HM