Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Historical Markers in Arkansas

780 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 201 through 401 are listed. Previous 200 Next 380
 
Clark County Marker at the Clark County Courthouse. image, Touch for more information
By Mark Hilton, August 2, 2018
Clark County Marker at the Clark County Courthouse.
Arkansas (Clark County), Arkadelphia — Clark County
Clark County was created by the legislature of Missouri Territory on Dec. 15, 1818 and named for the territorial governor, William Clark. It comprised, roughly, all of the present Clark, Hot Spring, Garland, Pike and Dallas counties. Early county . . . — Map (db m121379) HM
Arkansas (Clark County), Arkadelphia — Clark County Confederate MemorialC. S. A. — 1861 — 1865 —
East face When the last trumpet is sounded, may each one answer the roll call of the heavenly army. South face "The principles for which they fought live eternally." erected by the Harris Flanagin Chapter, . . . — Map (db m121961) WM
Arkansas (Clark County), Arkadelphia — Skirmish at Bozeman's House
Near this site on April 1, 1864 Confederate General Joseph O. Shelby caught up with and attacked the rear guard of Union General Frederick Steeles army. Union General Samuel A. Rice, in charge of the supply, pontoon and brigade trains, rushed to . . . — Map (db m121180) HM
Arkansas (Clark County), Caddo Valley — 65 — Confederate Manufacturing / The Military Road
(Side One) Confederate Manufacturing Arkadelphia was a manufacturing center for Confederate Arkansas early in the Civil War. Gen. Thomas Hindman established a powder works and an arsenal in 1862, producing guns, cannon, bullets, . . . — Map (db m96557) HM
Arkansas (Clay County), St. Francis — Chalk Bluff
Named for the white clay which resembles chalk, this magnificent bluff is one of the most important historical landmarks in Arkansas. At this point the St. Francis River cuts through Crowley's Ridge from west to east and forms the boundary between . . . — Map (db m18136) HM
Arkansas (Clay County), St. Francis — Chalk Bluff Crossing and Town
Since Crowley's Ridge provided the only natural route for north-south travel across the lowlands of northeastern Arkansas, an Indian trail and later a military road crossed the river here. About 1840 Abraham Seitz established a ferry which was later . . . — Map (db m4912) HM
Arkansas (Clay County), St. Francis — Chalk Bluff in the Civil WarRaids of March-April 1863
On March 10, 1863 Union cavalry captured the ferry after a three-hour fight. They burned buildings and stores of corn in Chalk Bluff and destroyed a large uncompleted ferry boat. Two weeks later on March 24 Union cavalry returned to Chalk Bluff and . . . — Map (db m4906) HM
Arkansas (Clay County), St. Francis — Chalk Bluff in the Civil WarBattle of May 1-2, 1863
In April 1863 a Confederate army of 5000 men commanded by General John S. Marmaduke advanced into Missouri. Forced to retreat before superior Union forces, the Confederates on May 1-2 fought a successful delaying action here while their army crossed . . . — Map (db m4911) HM
Arkansas (Clay County), St. Francis — Chalk Bluff in the Civil WarSkirmish of May 15, 1862
Chalk Bluff occupied a strategic position during the Civil War. Its cliffs commanded a vital river crossing on the only major road from Missouri into the Crowley's Ridge country. Provisions were collected here and shipped downstream to Confederate . . . — Map (db m18186) HM
Arkansas (Cleburne County), Heber Springs — F-3 — Cleburne CountyCounty Seat
Until its removal to Heber Springs, the county seat of Cleburne County, the youngest of the 75 counties in Arkansas, was established at Sugar Loaf in 1883, the year the county was formed, and named for General Pat. Cleburne. — Map (db m141602) HM
Arkansas (Cleburne County), Heber Springs — 49 — The Civil War in Cleburne County / Troops Raised in Cleburne County
The Civil War in Cleburne County

Cleburne County was infested with bands of bushwhackers who would prey on both military and civilian targets. Union troops operating in the area also seized food from civilians. Guerrillas ambushed 35 . . . — Map (db m141586) HM

Arkansas (Cleveland County), New Edinburg — 76 — Battle of Marks' Mills / Marks Family Experience
Battle of Marks' Mills On April 23, 1864, a Union force with 240 wagons left Camden to get supplies from Pine Bluff for Gen. Frederick Steele's army. Gen. James Fagan's Confederate cavalrymen ambushed them at Marks' Mills on April 25. . . . — Map (db m121150) HM
Arkansas (Cleveland County), New Edinburg — E-27 — Cleveland County Battle of Mark's Mill
The Battle of Mark's Mill, fought here on April 25, 1864, was a complete Confederate victory. General James F. Fagan's Confederate cavalry having surprised and captured a Union army of 2,000 men and 240 wagon loads of supplies. General Powell . . . — Map (db m121283) HM
Arkansas (Cleveland County), New Edinburg — Shelby's Approach
Approaching Marks Mills from the south General Joe Shelby's Missouri Division was ordered to move to the right in order to block the Marks Mills to Mt Elba Road preventing The Union forces from escaping across the Saline River. Guided by . . . — Map (db m121660) HM
Arkansas (Cleveland County), New Edinburg — The Battle at Marks' Mill
Early on the morning of April 25, the Confederates blocked the Pine Bluff Road near the Marks family home and mills. The first Union wagons arrived around 9:30 a.m. The Confederates shot the horses and driver of the lead Union wagon and launched the . . . — Map (db m121327) HM
Arkansas (Cleveland County), New Edinburg — The Battle Had Begun!
Facts After getting in the neighborhood of the supply train Gen. Shelby was ordered on the road leading to Mount Elba to intercept the train and attack the front. Cabell's Brigade moved up to the road leading direct to Marks' Mills. As they . . . — Map (db m121658) HM
Arkansas (Cleveland County), New Edinburg — The Battle of Marks' Mill
Front Fought here on April 25, 1864 was a complete Confederate victory General James F. Fagan's Division of Confederate cavalry surprised and captured a Union supply train of 2000 men and 240 wagonloads of supplies. General . . . — Map (db m121310) HM WM
Arkansas (Cleveland County), New Edinburg — The Union Wagon Train Leaves Camden
In March of 1864, the Union Army began the Red River Campaign, a plan to subdue Arkansas and Louisiana and capture Texas cotton for northern mills. By mid-April, the Arkansas arm of the campaign was stalled in Camden. A Union foraging party and . . . — Map (db m121311) HM
Arkansas (Cleveland County), New Edinburg — Witnesses to War
So many horses and soldiers were killed that Salty Branch ran red with blood. In 1864, Camden was a large town on the Ouachita River, as was Pine Bluff on the Arkansas River. Moro Bay, to the south, was the largest cotton shipping point . . . — Map (db m121330) HM
Arkansas (Columbia County), Calhoun — C-38 — Columbia County Calhoun Pioneer Settlement
One of the very oldest settlements of this county. Here in 1840–1850 settled the Bakers, Barnetts, Booths, Couches, Deeses, Dixons, Garretts, McDonalds, McWilliams, and other pioneer families Near this point Harvey Crowley Couch, Arkansas . . . — Map (db m121240) HM
Arkansas (Columbia County), Lamartine — C-27 — Columbia County Lamartine Pioneer Settlement
One of the oldest settlements in Columbia County. Here Colonel John Dockery had his plantation and home. Here T.P. Dockery, who became a general in the War Between the States, was born and reared. The Caddo Indian Trail from Camden on the Ouachita . . . — Map (db m121136) HM
Arkansas (Columbia County), Magnolia — Columbia County Courthouse
Third courthouse on this site. Bid for construction of a new courthouse was let in 1905 for $58,631. Designed by W.S. Hull and built of blond brick with stone detailing, it is considered an example of second renaissance revival architecture. . . . — Map (db m121341) HM
Arkansas (Columbia County), Magnolia — Columbia County Courthouse
Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places
by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m121408) HM
Arkansas (Columbia County), Magnolia — 24 — Gen. John Porter McCown
John P. McCown was born Aug. 19, 1815, in Sevierville, Tenn. An 1840 graduate of West Point, he served in the Mexican and Seminole wars before resigning from the U.S. Army on May 17, 1861. McCown joined the Confederate army, rising to the rank of . . . — Map (db m121139) HM
Arkansas (Conway County), Plummerville — 100 — Conway County in the Civil War / Murder of John Clayton
Side 1 Conway County in the Civil War Conway County men served in both the Union and Confederate armies in the Civil War. Co. I, 1st Arkansas Mounted Rifles, Co. B, Carroll’s Cavalry, Co. I, 36th Arkansas Infantry, . . . — Map (db m96451) HM
Arkansas (Craighead County), Jonesboro — H-12 — Craighead County Court House
The site of Jonesboro was laid off as the county seat of Craighead County in 1859, and there was erected soon afterwards the first court house in the county. — Map (db m116609) HM
Arkansas (Craighead County), Jonesboro — In Memoriam United Spanish War Veterans1898
{Title is text}Map (db m116621) WM
Arkansas (Craighead County), Jonesboro — 95 — Last Confederate Veteran
The last Confederate veteran living in Arkansas, William Murphy Loudermilk, is buried here in Keller’s Chapel Cemetery. Private Loudermilk, who was born Oct. 17, 1847, joined a North Carolina regiment in the Army of Tennessee at age 16 and fought at . . . — Map (db m116195) HM
Arkansas (Craighead County), Jonesboro — The Arkansas
This is the 16,000 pound anchor off the bow of the nuclear powered guided missile cruiser USS Arkansas, CGN-41. This anchor was placed here in grateful memory of those who served aboard her. Four ships of the United States Navy and one of the . . . — Map (db m116687) HM
Arkansas (Craighead County), Jonesboro — 1 — The Battle of Jonesboro
The Battle of Jonesboro took place at the Craighead County Court House in Jonesboro, Arkansas, on August 2, 1862. Company I, 30th Arkansas Infantry of the Fifth Trans-Mississippi Confederate army, under the command of Captain Mitchel A. Adair, . . . — Map (db m116608) HM
Arkansas (Craighead County), Jonesboro — 96 — Troops Raised in Craighead County
Several companies were raised in Craighead County for the Confederate army. Co. I of the 13th Arkansas Infantry – the “Confederate Grays” – formed in 1861. A company of the 23rd Arkansas Infantry and Co. I of the 30th . . . — Map (db m116186) HM
Arkansas (Crawford County), Van Buren — A-23 — Albert Pike School HouseCrawford County — 1836 – 1936 —
In this small log building Albert Pike noted lawyer, poet and mason taught school in 1832. He later went to Little Rock to become editor of the Advocate. — Map (db m96857) HM
Arkansas (Crawford County), Van Buren — Courthouse
The companies of soldiers that came out of Van Buren were formed at this historic landmark. It is also the site where some infantry and Calvary units camped and drilled. There were nine different companies that were formed in Crawford County. . . . — Map (db m96864) HM
Arkansas (Crawford County), Van Buren — Crawford County Vietnam Memorial
Remember those who served and those who died Killed in Action Maj. Walter Hugh Moon Capt. Jimmy Cartwright LCpl. Roger Dale Cecil LCpl. Billy Dale Livingston SSgt. Samuel Ray Nixon PFC. Jewel Lee Rainwater GMG1 Arthur C. . . . — Map (db m100703) WM
Arkansas (Crawford County), Van Buren — Crawford County War Memorial
On this lawn was erected our first Courthouse in 1841 and has been the scene for many events during the wars in which Crawford County boys fought. Mexican War, 1846. War Between the States, 1861-1865. Spanish American War, 1898. . . . — Map (db m96859) WM
Arkansas (Crawford County), Van Buren — CSI: Van Buren
Using advanced technology to understand the past. Like the methods of Crime Scene Investigators, science provides a variety of ways to look beneath the surface of the Drennen House grounds for evidence of the past. Techniques like . . . — Map (db m120491) HM
Arkansas (Crawford County), Van Buren — Fairview Cemetery
The Battle of Prairie Grove was a grim moment for the Confederate Army. This conflict severed all chances for the South to use Northwest Arkansas as a route to invade Missouri. The shattered and defeated soldiers retreated from Prairie Grove to Van . . . — Map (db m96617) HM WM
Arkansas (Crawford County), Van Buren — Fairview Cemetery Confederate Memorial
Erected in memory of our Confederate soldiers from Ark., Tex., La., Mo., and Indian territory, who lost their lives in the Battles of Oak Hill, Elk Horn, and Prairie Grove. — Map (db m96632) WM
Arkansas (Crawford County), Van Buren — First Three U.S. Deaths in WWI
In memory of Merle D. Hay Thomas Enwright James B. Gresham They were the first members of the Expeditionary Army of the United States in France to die that we might live stricken on the field of glory, November 3, . . . — Map (db m96633) WM
Arkansas (Crawford County), Van Buren — Gone but not forgotten
There is no doubt that other structures, demolished at some point in the family's history, stood on the Drennen-Scott property. Like many wealthy 19th-century households, this one had privies, a well, smokehouse, carriage house, . . . — Map (db m120515) HM
Arkansas (Crawford County), Van Buren — History of Hebe Statue
Hebe, Greek goddess of youth and happiness was placed in her fountain on the Crawford County Courthouse lawn in 1908 by the Women's Village Improvement Society. Repairs were made to both Hebe and fountain in memory of Robert Benham who served . . . — Map (db m97670) HM
Arkansas (Crawford County), Van Buren — Log Town Hill
The residents of Log Town were witness to the retreat of the Rebel army through Van Buren and onward through their settlement. High on Log Town Hill the community watched as masses of Southern soldiers crowded the hill trying desperately to reach . . . — Map (db m96614) HM
Arkansas (Crawford County), Van Buren — Overlooking His Domain
From the front of his home, John Drennen could overlook the bustling port town of Van Buren, including the wharf originally known as Phillips Landing. Until after the Civil War, the Arkansas River and the steamboats that plied its . . . — Map (db m120427) HM
Arkansas (Crawford County), Van Buren — The Butterfield Stage Route
The Butterfield stage route between Saint Louis and San Francisco passed through the main street of Van Buren, Arkansas and crossed the river at this point. — Map (db m96457) HM
Arkansas (Crawford County), Van Buren — 127 — Van Buren Raid
After the Dec. 7, 1862, Battle of Prairie Grove, the Union Frontier Division set out to strike Confederate forces on the Arkansas River. On Dec. 27, 8,000 Union troops headed south through the Boston Mountains. They hit Van Buren on Dec. 28 and . . . — Map (db m119954) HM
Arkansas (Crawford County), Van Buren — Web of Enterprise
John Drennen made profitable choices during his diverse professional life as merchant, bank trustee, plantation owner, and Indian agent. He linked his future to the fledgling town of Van Buren, and built his family home here, . . . — Map (db m120426) HM
Arkansas (Crittenden County), Crawfordsville — Crawfordsville
Named for Adolphus Fountain Crawford Born Aug. 15, 1848 Died Feb. 21, 1876 Confederate soldier of Arkansas, he fought under Gen. Price.Map (db m116177) HM
Arkansas (Crittenden County), Marion — Confederate Soldier's Memorial1861     1865
In memory of Crittenden County's Confederate soldiers — Map (db m116361) WM
Arkansas (Crittenden County), Marion — Confederate Soldier's MemorialErected 1936 — Courthouse Square Walking Trail —
This granite marker on the south lawn was erected by Crittenden County United Daughters of the Confederacy, and dedicated October 4, 1936, as a memorial to those who served with Confederate military during the War Between the States. The magnolia . . . — Map (db m116781) HM
Arkansas (Crittenden County), Marion — Crittenden Bank & Trust CompanyErected 1919 — Courthouse Square Walking Trail —
The Crittenden Bank & Trust, the town’s third bank, began operation January 9, 1909, replacing the Bank of Marion which had failed in 1908. Three other short-lived banks were housed in this building. The last banking operation here was that of . . . — Map (db m116727) HM
Arkansas (Crittenden County), Marion — Crittenden County Health DepartmentErected 1938 Annex 1943 — Courthouse Square Walking Trail —
The Health Department, dedicated May 4, 1938, was built with funds by the Federal Works Progress Administration (WPA). When additional space was needed, the Crittenden County Negro Business Men's League, led by George Walker, Jr. and John Gammon, . . . — Map (db m116780) HM
Arkansas (Crittenden County), Marion — Margaret E. Woolfolk LibraryErected 2001 — Courthouse Square Walking Trail —
Woolfolk is author of The History of Marion and History of Crittenden County, an award-winning newspaper editor, graduated from Memphis State Law School in 1985 at the age of 68, entered into private practice, and served as Marion . . . — Map (db m116783) HM
Arkansas (Crittenden County), Marion — Marion HotelErected 1911 — Courthouse Square Walking Trail —
Designed and built by Major Moore for Thomas Koser, the building was completed December of 1911. The building, which is constructed of native hardwoods, brick and concrete, had pressed tin ceilings and hardwood floors. The hotel had its own water . . . — Map (db m116726) HM
Arkansas (Crittenden County), Marion — Marion School Auditorium-GynamnasiumErected 1938 — Courthouse Square Walking Trail —
When classrooms were carved out of the second floor auditorium space in the first high school. Marion students and the entire community used a tabernacle built in 1924 on the south side of the high school for events requiring an auditorium. When the . . . — Map (db m116777) HM
Arkansas (Crittenden County), Marion — Marion School DistrictEstablished 1869 — Courthouse Square Walking Trail —
May 10, 1869, a petition was submitted the county court for established of School District No. One the Marion district. The formation of the district was approved by the circuit superintendent of public schools. The school operated by the original . . . — Map (db m116779) HM
Arkansas (Crittenden County), Marion — Military Road
First Highway constructed in Arkansas, Hopefield to Little Rock, extended to Fort Smith and into Indian Territory, (Oklahoma). Built by the United States under supervision of the Quartermasters Department of the United States Army. Survey was . . . — Map (db m116549) HM
Arkansas (Crittenden County), Marion — Rhodes StorefrontsCirca 1925 — Courthouse Square Walking Trail —
One of the city's biggest fires occurred in the early 1900's when a series of businesses in frame buildings on the east side of Court Street were destroyed by fire. Volunteer firefighters brought water from Harvard yards by train to help . . . — Map (db m116545) HM
Arkansas (Crittenden County), Marion — 62 — The Sultana Tragedy
On April 27, 1865, the steamboat Sultana exploded on the Mississippi River. She was heading north, dangerously overloaded with some 2,200 passengers, most of them freed Union prisoners of war from the Andersonville and Cahaba camps. A . . . — Map (db m116352) HM
Arkansas (Crittenden County), Marion — The Loss of the Sultana
Early on April 27, 1865, the overcrowded steamboat Sultana exploded on the Mississippi River near Marion, Arkansas. The vast majority of the Sultana's passengers, believed to number over 2000, were Federal soldiers, recently released . . . — Map (db m116356) HM
Arkansas (Cross County), Parkin — Mississippian Garden — Parkin Archaeological State Park —
The legacy of the Mississippian culture lives forever through the Three Sisters Garden, like the one you see planted here. The American Indians who lived here over 500 years ago were expert farmers whose most important crops were corn, beans, . . . — Map (db m116605) HM
Arkansas (Cross County), Wittsburg — 28 — Wittsburg in the Civil War
After Arkansas seceded from the Union in May 1861, Confederate officers began to recruit in the Wittsburg area. Companies B, D, F and K of the 5th Arkansas Infantry Regiment were organized at Wittsburg June 12-14, 1861. David Cross, for whom Cross . . . — Map (db m116179) HM
Arkansas (Cross County), Wynne — The Trail of Tears along the Memphis to Little Rock Road1824-1840
Down the trail from where you are standing is the most well-preserved remaining section of the historic Trail of Tears in Arkansas. Tradition and heritage run deep jn the collective souls of the Five Southeastern Tribes (Choctaw, Chickasaw, . . . — Map (db m142034) HM
Arkansas (Dallas County), Fordyce — 106 — Road to Marks' Mills / Battle of Marks' Mills
Road to Marks' Mills Gen. Frederick Steele’s Union army set out from Little Rock on March 23, 1864, to join a second army in Louisiana and invade Texas. He made it as far as modern-day Prescott before turning toward Camden in hopes of . . . — Map (db m121222) HM
Arkansas (Dallas County), Leola — 117 — Skirmish at Guesses Creek
Front Gen. Frederick Steele’s Union army left Camden on April 26, 1864, starting a retreat to Little Rock. Confederate pursuers caught up with them on April 29 on the Jenkins’ Ferry Road and began skirmishing. Union gunners of the 2nd . . . — Map (db m121168) HM
Arkansas (Dallas County), Tulip — 48 — Arkansas Military Institute / Tulip in the Civil War
Arkansas Military Institute The state legislature chartered the Arkansas Military Institute in 1850, and the school was built on Chapel Ridge in Tulip. Cadets had to be over 14 and at least 4 feet 9 inches tall. Classes included Latin, . . . — Map (db m121218) HM
Arkansas (Dallas County), Tulip — Old Tulip School House1902 - 1944
Has been placed on the Arkansas Register of Historic Places by Arkansas Historic Preservation Program. — Map (db m121334) HM
Arkansas (Dallas County), Tulip — Tulip
Tulip was settled in 1838 by Moses Overton. Making it the oldest community in Dallas County. Prominent settlers were Tyre H. Brown, Gen. Nathaniel G. Smith, Col. Maurice Smith and Judge Willis L. Somervell. Tulip missed being the capitol of Arkansas . . . — Map (db m121307) HM
Arkansas (Desha County), Dumas — Arkansas Indians
The Arkansas Indians (the down stream people), a branch of the Quapaw tribe, lived in Desha County. Their presence was first recorded by Marquette and Joliet, French explorers, in 1673. They were known as les Beaux Hommes. La Salle while . . . — Map (db m107809) HM
Arkansas (Desha County), Kelso — Old Town of Napoleon
This important river port, county seat of Desha County from 1838 to 1874, was located 24 miles east at the junction of the Arkansas River with the Mississippi. The town was finally abandoned after most of it washed into the Mississippi River. — Map (db m107758) HM
Arkansas (Desha County), Kelso — 64 — Skirmish at Amos Bayou
In mid-February 1863, Confederate troops at Cypress Bend fired on Union transports on the Mississippi River. On Feb. 19, a force of Union cavalry and mule-mounted infantry set out in pursuit. The Union troops drove off enemy pickets before . . . — Map (db m107693) HM
Arkansas (Desha County), Watson — Desha County Seat — 1874 - 1880 —
Watson became the county seat of Desha County after Napoleon was abandoned to the Mississippi River. Lewis W. Watson donated the land and built the courthouse near this site. The county seat was moved to Arkansas City in 1880. Watson remained the . . . — Map (db m107757) HM
Arkansas (Drew County), Monticello — F-17 — Drew CountyCounty Seat
Drew County, named for Governor Thomas S. Drew, was organized in 1845 and Monticello was laid out in 1849 as the county seat. Many pioneer families whose sons and daughters became prominent in the affairs of State and Nation lived here. — Map (db m85085) HM
Arkansas (Drew County), Monticello — 91 — Drew County Troops
(side 1) Sixteen Confederate companies were raised in Drew County during the Civil War. Two, the "Confederate Stars" and "Selma Rifles," joined the 3rd Arkansas Infantry and fought with the Army of Northern Virginia. Three, the "Cut-off . . . — Map (db m85087) HM
Arkansas (Drew County), Monticello — Monticello Confederate Monument
To the Confederate Soldiers of Drew County. 1861—1865 Furl that banner! True, 'tis gory, yet 'tis wreathed around with glory, and 'twill live in song and story, though its folds are in the dust. Father Ryan . . . — Map (db m85093) WM
Arkansas (Drew County), Monticello — Walls of WarDrew County Veterans Memorial
Erected by the citizens of Drew County in honor of all who served or who may serve and dedicated to those who gave their lives that we might be free. Veterans Day 1988. World War I B.C. Bast, George F. Cater, Chisley Garrison, Forrest . . . — Map (db m85089) HM
Arkansas (Faulkner County), Conway — "Trail of Tears"
After Congress passed the Indian Removal Act, May 28, 1830, the Government forceably relocated about 60,000 Indians from the southeastern U.S. to what is now Oklahoma. This included the five (5) civilized tribes Cherokee, Chickasaw, Creek, Choctaw, . . . — Map (db m97912) HM
Arkansas (Faulkner County), Conway — 450th Commemoration De Soto Expedition1541 – 1991
The Hernando De Soto expedition is believed to have passed near Cadron en route to points west. Some researchers think the expedition crossed the Arkansas River (River of Cayas) near what is now Dardanelle. — Map (db m96641) HM
Arkansas (Faulkner County), Conway — Cadron Blockhouse
The blockhouse is a replica of a structure that was built on this site in the late 18th century. The building was a multiple use structure, but constructed originally for defense purposes. It was used as a trading post, as a residence, and as a . . . — Map (db m96645) HM
Arkansas (Faulkner County), Conway — 82 — Cadron in the Civil War
Confederate forces used Cadron as a base in the war’s early years, and Union troops were here after taking Little Rock in September 1863. The site was valuable for the saw and grist mills nearby, the telegraph line that ran to Little Rock, and the . . . — Map (db m96452) HM
Arkansas (Faulkner County), Conway — Cherokee Memorial
Following is a partial list of persons who died and were buried at Cadron. They perished from cholera while being relocated by the Army in 1834. Graves were marked with native stones with no inscriptions. Some of the Indians had adopted . . . — Map (db m96643) HM
Arkansas (Faulkner County), Conway — 78 — Faulkner County in the Civil War
Front Faulkner County had divided loyalties during the Civil War. Soon after the war started, Col. A.R. Witt helped organize several companies for the 10th Arkansas Infantry (C.S.). After fighting at Shiloh, the 10th was captured at Port . . . — Map (db m119987) HM
Arkansas (Faulkner County), Conway — Lt. Joseph W. Harris, U.S.A.
Joseph W. Harris of New Hampshire, received appointment to the Military Academy at West Point at the age of 17 and graduated in 1825. He was assigned to accompany a group of 750 Cherokees aboard the steamboat Yeatman. They were forced to land at . . . — Map (db m97914) HM
Arkansas (Franklin County), Ozark — B-13 — Franklin County Court House
Ozark was designated as the county seat of Franklin County in 1837, and the first court house in the county was erected on this site in 1838. — Map (db m120001) HM
Arkansas (Franklin County), Ozark — In Memory of our Friends Lost in Korea, Vietnam & Iraq
Korea 1950 – 1953 Garlande Darter Charles McCartney Otis E. Hutchinson Vietnam 1965-1975 Rickey Pyle Otis E. Hutchinson, Jr. John F. Schaffer Wayne J. Sanders Iraq 1990 – 1991 Charleston's . . . — Map (db m120873) WM
Arkansas (Franklin County), Ozark — 120 — Skirmishes at Roseville
On March 29, 1864, troops of the 30th Texas Cavalry and local partisans attacked the Union post at Roseville south of here, burning 133 bales of cotton and two cotton gins. They returned in force on May 4 and drove the defending troops of the 2nd . . . — Map (db m119956) HM
Arkansas (Franklin County), Ozark — World War I - Lest We Forget - World War IITheirs not to reason why ·•· Theirs but to do and die — 1917 ·•· 1918     1941 ·•· 1945 —
The citizens of Franklin County have caused this monument to be erected ·· Not to glorify war but forever to serve the cause of peace ·•· Here we enshrine forever the glorious memory of the living and the dead who through their valiant efforts . . . — Map (db m120876) WM
Arkansas (Garland County), Avant — Communities of the Upper Ouachita River Valley
Many small towns once existed in the area now covered by Lake Ouachita. Settlers first came to the upper Ouachita River valley in the decades prior to the Civil Way to establish homes, farms and businesses, creating communities such as Cedar Glades . . . — Map (db m108929) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — 122
Constructed 1891 in as dry goods and grocery store until 1915. Utah Apts above and restaurant below. Became the Apple Apts and Dixie Coffee Shop in 1840's. Recently was Magnolia Gift and Night Train Lounge. Remodeled apartments 1992. Wheatley . . . — Map (db m102704) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — 126
Constructed in 1891 as a clothing store by Simon Meyer, one of the most successful merchants in the late 1890's. In 1923 Rosa Meyer opened a dry goods store and later the Walkowitz General Store. Most recently the Oyster Bar restaurant. Wheatly . . . — Map (db m102708) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — 201 Central AvenueThe Howe Hotel
Constructed in 1926 the Howe Hotel was significant in the late 1920's. Roof garden on 8th floor while the 2nd floor housed a bath house. Served as an important redistribution center for troops in World War II. Wheatly Property — Map (db m142952) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — 304
. . . — Map (db m102942) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — 308
. . . — Map (db m102768) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — Al Simmons
When illness threatened to end his Hall of Fame career prematurely in 1928, Al Simmons came to Hot Springs to take the baths and hike in the mountain trails. The visit worked wonders, and, encouraged by legendary Athletics' manager Connie Mack, . . . — Map (db m116056) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — An American SpaHot Springs National Park
Bathhouse Row is the historic heart of an American spa. Since the 1830s the city of Hot Springs has channeled much of its energy into becoming a national health resort. The Federal Government made “taking the waters” available to all by . . . — Map (db m61775) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — Babe Ruth
Ruth trained here nine times and became a very familiar face around Hot Springs. He hiked the mountains, took the baths, played golf, patronized the casinos, and visited the racetrack. On March 17, 1918 (St. Patrick's Day), he launched a . . . — Map (db m102588) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — Babe Ruth Changed Baseball ForeverMarch 17, 1918 — Hot Springs, Arkansas —
A towering shot traveled from home plate at Whittington Park into the second alligator pond at the Arkansas Alligator Farm and Petting Zoo. The distance was 573 feet. — Map (db m116082) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — Bathhouse RowHot Springs National Park
The buildings along Bathhouse Row are the latest stage in a succession of bathhouses. In the 1830s Hot Springs’ earliest facilities were makeshift shelters perched over individual springs. Later, elaborate Victorian bathhouses flourished along the . . . — Map (db m61774) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — Bill Dickey
Discovered while playing in Hot Springs, Arkansan Bill Dickey joined the New York Yankees in 1928. Batting .313 and slugging 202 home runs during his Hall of Fame career, he was best known for his rocket arm, fierce competitiveness, and cerebral . . . — Map (db m116080) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — Buck Ewing
Many baseball historians regard Ewing as the greatest all-around 19th century player. He came to the Army-Navy Hospital in Hot Springs in 1892, seeking medical advice for his sore throwing arm. On March 19th, after successful treatment, he hit a . . . — Map (db m102685) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — Buckstaff BathhouseHot Springs National Park
From its opening the handsome Buckstaff Bathhouse aggressively promoted its image. To gain customers the owners mounted a huge sign on the roof to attract people from the large hotels a block away. Other bathhouses lost character as they modernized, . . . — Map (db m61793) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — First Hotel and Bath House in the Hot Springs Territory
Near this spot around the year 1790 stood the first hotel and bath house built in the Hot Springs Territory. To mark the site of the first permanent citizen, the host of this tavern, JOHN PERCIFUL, reputed to have been a revolutionary soldier. This . . . — Map (db m102954) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — Fogel Field
This field, also known as Fordyce Field, was constructed in 1912 by the Hot Springs Park Company to meet the demand of over 250 major leaguers training in Hot Springs. The Philadelphia Phillies’ owner Horace Fogel, leased the field for his team. The . . . — Map (db m102584) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — Fordyce BathhouseHot Springs National Park — National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior —
Inspired by the spas of Europe, Colonel Samuel Fordyce opened this Renaissance Revival bathhouse in 1915. With its copper-framed glass marquee and elegant window design, the Fordyce reflects a crowning achievement of the Golden Age of Bathing. Its . . . — Map (db m61771) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — Hiram Abiff Whittington1805-1890
Front of Obelisk Born in Boston, Mass., came to Arkansas in 1826 to be printer for the Arkansas Gazette. In 1882 he moved to Hot Springs and in a two room log cabin established a general store, post office and lending library. He served as . . . — Map (db m116351) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — Hollywood CemeteryEntrance presented by National Society Colonial Dames
Presented by Arkansas Col. John Washington Chapter, National Society Colonial Dames, XVII Century, honoring War Veterans, Early Pioneers, 1998 — Map (db m61770) WM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — Honus Wagner
No player left a bigger legacy in Hot Springs than "the Flying Dutchman.” He enjoyed the baths and all the activities Hot Springs had to offer, he also participated in civic functions and coached the high school basketball team. Honus . . . — Map (db m130003) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — Hot Springs
After 1877 when the title to the springs was finally vested in the federal government by the Supreme Court, Congress began to take an active interest in the Hot Springs Reservation. In 1921 the Reservation officially became Hot Springs National Park. — Map (db m103164) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — Hot Springs Intracity Transit National Historic Register
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior. Arkansas Historic Preservation Program. Department of Arkansas Heritage. — Map (db m130032) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — Hot Springs: The Birthplace of Spring BaseballThese Hall of Fame Inductees trained here or had significant connections to Hot Springs
Left Side Hot Spring's reputation as a health and recreation resort attracting the rich and famous was certainly true in the late 1800's and well into the 20th century. The city had fine hotels, lively nightclubs, a beautiful mountain . . . — Map (db m102952) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — Kenji Miyazawa1896-1933
You are facing the only statue of Kenji Miyazawa outside of Japan. We are grateful to the Miyazawa family for permission to erect it here. It is our hope that you will appreciate his body of work, including the message contained in this poem, and . . . — Map (db m130033) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — Lamar BathhouseHot Springs National Park
The present masonry Lamar Bathhouse, completed in 1923, has a symmetrical, California style of architecture. The large lobby contains nostalgic murals of historic landscapes, and country scenes. Art Deco stairs, signs, and lights decorated the . . . — Map (db m61777) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — Lefty Grove
From humble beginnings in Maryland's coal region, Robert "Left" Grove became baseball's greatest left-handed pitcher. Using his blazing fastball and fiery temperament, he won 300 Major League games (31 in 1931) and 108 International League games. In . . . — Map (db m116503) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — Mel Ott
This Hall of Fame outfielder, tutored by "Mugsy" McGraw, played his entire career with the New York Giants, hitting 511 home runs. On his thirtieth birthday, March 2, 1939, in an intra-squad game here at Whittington Park, "Master Melvin" belted . . . — Map (db m102764) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — National Baptist Hotel
Built in 1923 as the Woodmen of the Union Building, this hotel, bathhouse, and performance venue quickly became the center of African American culture in Hots Springs. It housed virtually every great Negro League player and entertainer who visited . . . — Map (db m116147) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — Ohio and Southern Clubs
Most Major League players of the early 20th century had few inhibitions and many enjoyed gambling during training trips to Hot Springs. Among the most popular casinos in the city were the Southern Club, built a few doors to the right in 1893, and . . . — Map (db m102678) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — Ozark BathhouseHot Springs National Park
The mission style of the Ozark Bathhouse may relate to the claim that Spanish explorer Hernando de Soto visited the hot springs. The building’s twin towers are strictly decorative. On Bathhouse Row, the Quapaw, the Fordyce, and Hale Bathhouses, with . . . — Map (db m61794) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — Quapaw BathhouseHot Springs National Park
The Caddo, Quapaw, and Choctaw tribes lived in or visited the area during the 1700s and 1800s. This edifice pays homage to their lasting influence. The owners named the bathhouse for the Quapaw Indians, and incorporated an Indian head design over . . . — Map (db m61795) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — Site of the Founding Convention Assemblies of God April 2-12, 1914
More than 300 persons met in the Grand Opera House, 200 Central Avenue, and formed The General Council of the Assemblies of God. From this beginning the Assemblies of God has grown to more than 66 million adherents in 252 countries, territories . . . — Map (db m102765) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — Site of the State Capitol of Arkansas
Site of The State Capitol of Arkansas July 2-14-1862 When Federal troops advanced on Little Rock, Governor Henry Massie Rector moved his staff and records here. Erected by the Garland County Association of the Arkansas . . . — Map (db m122573) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — Smoky Joe Wood
After training in Hot Springs in 1912, twenty-two-year-old Smoky Joe Wood compiled a 34-5 record and led the Boston Red Sox to a victory in the World Series. On March 28, 1913, Smoky pitched five scoreless innings at Whittington Park versus the . . . — Map (db m102574) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — Stan Musial
Legendary Hall of Fame Slugger Stan Musial often visited Hot Springs to prepare for one of his twenty-two stellar seasons in major league baseball. Stan would come with his St. Louis Cardinal teammates and owner August Busch to take the baths, and . . . — Map (db m116048) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — Whittington Park
More baseball was played in the ballpark on this corner than anywhere else in Hot Springs. Built in 1894 and used until 1942. Whittington Park, later named Ben Johnson Field, was the epicenter of baseball in Hot Springs. A partial list of those who . . . — Map (db m102604) HM
Arkansas (Grant County), Leola — Battle of Jenkins' Ferry
Erected in memory of the soldiers of the Confederacy, who gave their lives for the cause at the Battle of Jenkins Ferry, April 30, 1864, Dedicated September 19, 1928, by the James F. Fagan and Jenkins Ferry Chapters of the United Daughters of the . . . — Map (db m37303) HM
Arkansas (Grant County), Leola — 112 — Confederate Headquarters / Confederate Flank Attack
Confederate Headquarters Confederate Gen. Edmund Kirby Smith led troops from Louisiana on a forced march to attack Gen. Frederick Steele’s Union army as it crossed the Saline River to retreat to Little Rock. He arrived here on April 29, . . . — Map (db m121215) HM
Arkansas (Grant County), Leola — 110 — General Samuel Rice / Confederate Cannons Captured
General Samuel Rice Samuel A. Rice, then Iowa’s attorney general, organized the 33rd Iowa Infantry Regiment in the summer of 1862 and was named its colonel. Stationed in Helena, Rice played a prominent role in the July 4, 1863 battle there . . . — Map (db m121203) HM
Arkansas (Grant County), Leola — 113 — Jenkins Ferry / Pontoon Bridge
Jenkins Ferry In 1846, Thomas Jenkins paid the Saline County clerk $1 to register to “keep a ferry” and charge travelers to cross the Saline near the mouth of Cox’s Creek when the river was at flood stage. Gen. Frederick . . . — Map (db m121204) HM
Arkansas (Grant County), Leola — 115 — Officers Killed / Union Wounded
Officers Killed Gen. J.G. Walker’s Texas Division made the final Confederate attack in the April 30, 1864, battle of Jenkins’ Ferry. Its three brigades, led by Gen. William Read Scurry, Gen. Thomas N. Waul and Col. Horace Randal, charged . . . — Map (db m121207) HM
Arkansas (Grant County), Leola — Red River CampaignBattle of Jenkins' Ferry
Tablet #1 Jenkins' Ferry State Park Act 10 of 1961 authorized this 37-acre state park as a commemorative site and recreation area. The park includes the ferry site where you are standing. The ferry was operated by the Jenkins' family . . . — Map (db m37304) HM
Arkansas (Grant County), Prattsville — 116 — Clash at Whitten's Mill
Front Both Union and Confederate cavalry moved north of Jenkins’ Ferry on April 29, 1864. Lt. Col. Benjamin Elliott’s 1st Missouri Cavalry Battalion had been sent to Princeton on the 28th to seek Gen. Frederick Steele’s army as it . . . — Map (db m121182) HM
Arkansas (Grant County), Sheridan — 114 — Refugee Children / Supplies Destroyed
Refugee Children Many African Americans fleeing slavery were with Gen. Frederick Steele’s Union army as it retreated to Little Rock. As army wagons became stuck in the thick mud, so too did wagons with refugee children. Some were . . . — Map (db m121183) HM
Arkansas (Hempstead County), Hope — William Jefferson ClintonFirst Home of the 42nd President of the United States
Dedicated March 12, 1999. Mike Huckabee Governor, Jim Hill State Senator, Sandra Rodgers State Representative. Major Benefactors-Century Tube, Inc, Swepco, Entergy, Sanyo Manufacturing Corp, Future Tech Intel, Nina Wang, Ben & Martha Bryant, Nissan . . . — Map (db m61796) HM
Arkansas (Hot Spring County), Malvern — 122 — Bridging the Ouachita River
Gen. Frederick Steele led a Union army from Little Rock on March 23, 1864, to join an invasion of Texas. Confederate skirmishers harassed the army as it reached Rockport March 27. An inflatable pontoon bridge, in 34 wagons and served by men of the . . . — Map (db m121148) HM
Arkansas (Howard County), Center Point — Center Point
Near this spot in 1837 Robert Messer built the first house in Center Point. A few years later John Russey opened the first store. Center Point acquired its name and post office in 1848, and became an incorporated town in 1859. Held by the . . . — Map (db m121163) HM
Arkansas (Howard County), Center Point — 126 — Howard County in the Civil War
At least four Confederate companies were recruited in what is now Howard County, including three serving in the 19th Arkansas Infantry, which trained near Center Point. The 19th Arkansas was part of the garrison at Arkansas Post when it was . . . — Map (db m121146) HM
Arkansas (Independence County), Batesville — F-32 — Arkansas Methodist ConferenceIndependence County
The Arkansas conference of the Methodist Church, created 1836, composing Arkansas and parts of Louisiana and Indian Territory, held its first session November 2, 1836 in Batesville at corner of Main and Broad Streets. Bishop Thomas Morris presided. . . . — Map (db m70559) HM
Arkansas (Independence County), Batesville — 14 — Batesville During The Civil War
Union soldiers occupied Batesville twice during the Civil War. Gen. Samuel Curtis's Army of the Southwest camped near this site in May 1862 while threatening Little Rock. Union troops were impressed with the town's culture and appearance, saying . . . — Map (db m70557) HM
Arkansas (Independence County), Batesville — F-12 — Independence County First County Court House
The town of Batesville was selected as the county seat and the first county court house built in 1821, a year after the county was organized. — Map (db m66720) HM
Arkansas (Independence County), Batesville — Independence County Office and Library
This building was constructed in 1904 by the federal government for the U.S. Post Office and the Batesville division of federal court for the Eastern District of Arkansas and was in use by federal agencies until 1974 when a new building was built a . . . — Map (db m70558) HM
Arkansas (Independence County), Batesville — Lafferty Memorial Church
Lafferty disbanded in 1969 and its members requested the church at 8th and Neeley be sold and funds divided between Philander Smith College and the First United Methodist Church of Batesville. The known history of Lafferty, organized in the . . . — Map (db m70560) HM
Arkansas (Independence County), Batesville — Pfeiffer Community
A light-colored crystalline limestone known as Batesville marble has been mined in this area since 1836 and most of the material used in the Arkansas State Capitol under construction from 1899 to 1915 originated here. Pfeiffer was also a railhead . . . — Map (db m85504) HM
Arkansas (Jackson County), Jacksonport — Jackson County CourthouseBuilt 1869 - 72
. . . — Map (db m116611) HM
Arkansas (Jackson County), Jacksonport — Jacksonport in the Civil War
Jacksonport was one of the main mustering points for the Confederate army in Arkansas. Throughout the war both armies contended for possession of this strategic port located at the center of the White and Black river trade. The Confederate attack on . . . — Map (db m116206) HM
Arkansas (Jackson County), Jacksonport — 60 — Shelling of Jacksonport
In spring 1862, Confederate Gen. Thomas Hindman sent the C.S.S. Maurepas under Capt. Joseph Fry up the White River to destroy Union supplies at Jacksonport and Grand Glaize. Fry arrived on June 2, 1862, and began shelling Jacksonport. Union . . . — Map (db m116187) HM
Arkansas (Jackson County), Jacksonport — Surrender at Jacksonport
Here on June 5, 1865 Confederate General Jeff Thompson formally surrendered the army of Northern Arkansas to Union military authorities. More than five thousand officers and enlisted men who served under Thompson were paroled here, as were several . . . — Map (db m116199) HM
Arkansas (Jackson County), Newport — G-3 — Jackson County First Court House
The first court house in Jackson County, created in 1832, was located at Litchfield, where it remained until 1839, when it was moved to Elizabeth. In 1852 Augusta (now Woodruff County) was made the county seat and two years later it was moved to . . . — Map (db m116624) HM
Arkansas (Jefferson County), Pine Bluff — Auguste La noir de Serville
To honor Auguste La noir de Serville Hero of the American Revolution French Marine served under Count de Grasse Wounded Yorktown, VA Oct. 14, 1781 Died Jefferson Co. Ark. Dec. 30, 1828 — Map (db m30579) HM
Arkansas (Jefferson County), Pine Bluff — Barraque Street
This street was named for Antoine Barraque (1773-1858), native of France, soldier of Napoleon, and one of this area's earliest settlers. Founder of New Gascony in this county, he was a man of property and Indian sub-agent. Trusted and liked by the . . . — Map (db m30577) HM
Arkansas (Jefferson County), Pine Bluff — Battle of Pine Bluff
During the morning and early afternoon of October 25, 1863, Colonel Powell Clayton commander of federal troops occupying Pine Bluff, successfully repulsed a three-pronged confederate attack of forces of General John S. Marmaduke. Cotton bales . . . — Map (db m30578) HM
Arkansas (Jefferson County), Pine Bluff — Bayou Bartholomew
Beginning 10 miles northwest of Pine Bluff, this storied bayou flows 300 miles through 6 Arkansas counties and 2 Louisiana parishes before emptying into the Ouachita River in north Louisiana. Indian mounds dotted its banks. Immigrants travelled it . . . — Map (db m30581) HM
Arkansas (Jefferson County), Pine Bluff — F-6 — Jefferson County First Court House
The first court house in Jefferson County created in 1829 and named for President Thomas Jefferson was erected on this site at (Pine Bluff) in 1833. Meanwhile, sessions of the county court had been held first at the house of Joseph Bonne and second . . . — Map (db m30580) HM
Arkansas (Jefferson County), Pine Bluff — Joseph Bonne Cabin
In 1818 a French trapper, Joseph Bonne landed on the south bank of the Arkansas River with his dog and gun near the location of the original Jefferson County Courthouse. Driven to this high bluff after flood waters had threatened his homesite at . . . — Map (db m30576) HM
Arkansas (Jefferson County), Pine Bluff — Joseph Carter Corbin1833-1911
In 1875, Joseph Corbin the son of former slaves, became the founder and principal of Branch Normal College (now UAPB) where he served until 1902. A profound mathematician, outstanding musician, linguist, and holder of bachelor and masters degrees . . . — Map (db m70701) HM
Arkansas (Johnson County), Clarksville — 103 — Clarksville in the Civil War / Depredations
Side 1 Clarksville in the Civil War Clarksville was a key point in the defense of the Arkansas River Valley during the Civil War. Confederate troops occupied the town several times before Union forces took Little Rock . . . — Map (db m96447) HM
Arkansas (Johnson County), Clarksville — C-23 — Johnson County First Anthracite Coal
The first anthracite coal was mined near here on the land of E.B. Alston by a Mr. Walker in 1840. Sample of coal were taken to Little Rock and examined by William E. Woodruff, who pronounced it superior to that found in Pennsylvania. Mr. Walker went . . . — Map (db m96638) HM
Arkansas (Lafayette County), Bradley — The Old Walnut Hill Schoolhouse
The southern two-thirds of this building is one of the oldest, possibly the oldest structure in southern Lafayette County. The exact date it was built is not known, but it is known that the first children to study in it were born in the 1800s. . . . — Map (db m109684) HM
Arkansas (Lafayette County), Stamps — 139 — Pioneering Legislators
Three African American men represented Lafayette County in the state legislature after the Civil War. Monroe Hawkins, born a slave in North Carolina around 1832, was a minister and laborer. He was a delegate in the 1868 Constitutional Convention and . . . — Map (db m121211) HM
Arkansas (Lee County), Marianna — H-5 — Lee County
The site of Marianna was acquired through a deed from Mary Ann Harland and the heirs of her first husband, Daniel Martin. The town was named in her memory. She was born in Kentucky May 6, 1802: died October 25, 1857. The first court house in Lee . . . — Map (db m116135) HM
Arkansas (Lee County), Marianna — Lee County Confederate Monument — General Robert E. Lee —
South face  “Fidelis Fortissimus.” 1861 1865 Erected by D. G. Govan Chapter U. D. C. In loving memory, of Lee County's Confederate Soldiers. ______ "No braver bled for a brighter land . . . — Map (db m117504) WM
Arkansas (Lee County), Marianna — Lee County War Memorial
East Side Greater love hath no man than to lay down his life for his country. Dedicated by the citizens of Lee County to those who made the ultimate sacrifice in defense of their country. North Side Korean War . . . — Map (db m117251) WM
Arkansas (Lee County), Marianna — Marianna ArkansasDedicated to Pioneer Families of Marianna
Marianna named in honor of Maryann Martin Harland Town established 1858 A.D. Incorporated Oct. 24, 1870 A.D. 1870 Agriculture, Timber Population 165 1970 Agriculture, Industry Population 6215 — Map (db m117262) HM
Arkansas (Lee County), Moro — 44 — Moro in the Civil War / Prelude to Helena
Moro in the Civil War The town of Moro was established in 1850 and about 700 people lived here and nearby when the Civil War began in 1861. Union troops from the 1st Indiana, 1st Missouri, 9th Illinois, 5th Kansas, 2nd Wisconsin, and 3rd . . . — Map (db m116247) HM
Arkansas (Lincoln County), Tyro — 81 — The Orphan Company
In 1861, John G. Gibson recruited a company at Tyro, Ark., that would become Co. H, 3rd Arkansas Infantry, nicknamed the Orphan Company, in the Army of Northern Virginia. Thirty-three Arkansas men joined in 1861, 22 in 62, and one in 63. Kentuckians . . . — Map (db m107698) HM
Arkansas (Little River County), Alleene — Anderson Ferry
Anderson Ferry, on Little River 2 miles north of this point, was in operation during the early 1800's. It served the pioneers traveling to southwest Arkansas and Texas on the Old Southwest Trail. Anderson Ferry provided a passage from Old Paraclifta . . . — Map (db m121276) HM
Arkansas (Little River County), Alleene — Original Site of Little River County Seat
Little River County was formed 1867 out of lands taken from Hempstead and Sevier Counties by Act 104 of the Arkansas Legislature approved March 7, 1867. The Act fixed the temporary county seat at the home of William M. Freeman, which was ½ mile . . . — Map (db m121273) HM
Arkansas (Little River County), Ashdown — B-7 — Little River CountyCounty Seat
Rocky Comfort, made the County Seat of Little River County in 1868, continued as such until 1880, when it was moved to Richmond and from there the Seat of Justice was moved to Ashdown. — Map (db m121243) HM
Arkansas (Little River County), Ashdown — B-27 — Little River CountyHome of Governor Jeff Davis
Birthplace of the twentieth Governor of Arkansas, one of the state's most colorful personalities. — Map (db m121244) HM
Arkansas (Little River County), Foreman — First Permanent Site of Little River County Seat
The Arkansas Constitutional Convention of 1868 located the permanent county seat at Rocky Comfort, where it remained until 1880. The first term of court was held there August 4, 1868. A frame court house was erected with offices on the first floor . . . — Map (db m121277) HM
Arkansas (Little River County), Richmond — 42 — Confederate Camp at Richmond / Richmond Church and Cemetery
Confederate Camp at Richmond On Aug. 28, 1864, Confederate Gen. Sterling Price led an army from Camden on a raid that took them through Missouri, Kansas and the Indian Territory before they returned to Arkansas at Laynesport in Little . . . — Map (db m121143) HM
Arkansas (Little River County), Wilton — Mills Family Story
In the fall of 1851, three Mills brothers headed west, one by water, one by land and one to Texas. This brought Joel Mills wife, Kitura Burke Bird and family from Henderson Co., Tennessee to Sevier County, now known as Little River County. . . . — Map (db m121361) HM
Arkansas (Logan County), Booneville — Logan County Vietnam Memorial
Logan County Vietnam Veterans Lost In Service

Dickason, Clyde Leroy Frost, James Allen Harper, Larry Neil Reinecius, Karl Lewis Sanders, Wayne Jackson Satterfield, John Stephen Schluterman, David Frank Vories, John Lloyd . . . — Map (db m129529) WM

Arkansas (Logan County), Paris — Eiffel Tower ParkParis, Arkansas
Eiffel Tower Park was established in 2014 on the West side of the Paris town square. The Eiffel Tower was a gift to the city by a former resident and pastor, Don Eubanks. A 7 foot water feature with fountain was added to the 18 foot tower to . . . — Map (db m129685) HM
Arkansas (Logan County), Paris — 47 — Skirmish at Haguewood Prairie
In late September 1863, Confederate Col. J.O. Shelby's cavalry headed north to raid into Missouri. On Sept. 27, 1863, Shelby's scouts found Co. H, 1st Arkansas Infantry (U.S.) camped at Haguewood Prairie near present-day Paris. The Union troops . . . — Map (db m129518) HM
Arkansas (Lonoke County), Austin — Austin
In 1828 the town of Oakland Grove was founded. By 1861 the name had been changed to Austin, according to a false local legend the once thriving town of over 30 residences was almost selected as the state capitol beginning in 1858 the town was a . . . — Map (db m116644) HM
Arkansas (Lonoke County), Austin — 138 — Austin in the Civil War
As the Civil War began, the Caroline Home Guard formed at Austin on June 29, 1861. The “Austin Rifles” became Co. I, 5th Arkansas Infantry, C.S.A. Both Union and Confederate troops camped at Austin during the war and Federal troops tore . . . — Map (db m116330) HM
Arkansas (Lonoke County), Austin — Oakland Grove (Old Austin)Short Cut to Indian Territory 1832-1838 — Trail of Tears Through Arkansas —
In 1807, citizens of Crystal Hill built a road to connect Cadron and Arkansas Post. From Cadron the road was built almost due east and continued until they reached the Wattensaw. At the Wattensaw swamps they found an Indian path that led south to . . . — Map (db m116694) HM
Arkansas (Lonoke County), Carlisle — 90 — Action at Ashley's Station
On Aug. 24, 1864, Confederate Gen. J.O. Shelby and his men, wearing captured Union uniforms, attacked a series of forts protecting hay-cutting operations between modern-day Carlisle and Hazen. Confederate artillery blasted the forts held by the 54th . . . — Map (db m96453) HM
Arkansas (Lonoke County), Carlisle — William H. FullerFather of the Arkansas Rice Industry
In 1897 on the NW 1/4 Sect. 8 1N 7W Fuller planted the first rice on the Grand Prairie. The venture failed. Having learned about rice production in Louisiana, he returned for more information. In 1903 he returned to Lonoke County. The citizens of . . . — Map (db m96636) HM
Arkansas (Lonoke County), Lonoke — A Gun for All Reasons3-inch Gun was light, accurate and lethal
The 3-inch Ordnance Rifle was also known as the ordnance rifle, the ordnance gun, the Griffen gun, and was sometimes erroneously referred to as the Rodman rifle. The gun was invented by John Griffen, superintendent of the Safe Harbor Iron Works in . . . — Map (db m65711) HM
Arkansas (Lonoke County), Lonoke — Battle of Brownsville
On August 25, 1863 U.S. and Confederate Cavalry clashed near here. The initial battle involving approximately 7,000 men occurred east of the town. After a brief artillery duel, Col. Geiger's US troopers forced the retreat of Gen. Marmaduke's CS . . . — Map (db m116458) HM
Arkansas (Lonoke County), Lonoke — 16 — Hicks' Station in the Civil War
Hicks' Station, located on the Memphis & Little Rock Railroad between DeValls Bluff and Huntersville (N Little Rock), guarded the eastern approaches to the capital city. During the Little Rock Campaign, Confederate cavalry used it as a staging area . . . — Map (db m72142) HM WM
Arkansas (Lonoke County), Lonoke — Lonoke County Confederate Monument
West Side Below an image of two crossed flags and the dates 1861-1865 In memory of our Confederate Soldiers North Side Erected by the T.C. Hindman Chapter U.D.C. Lonoke, Ark. East Side Lonoke County commends the . . . — Map (db m65714) WM
Arkansas (Lonoke County), Lonoke — Lonoke Landmarks
Joseph Taylor Robinson Home - 204 NE Front St. Practiced law in Lonoke - 1893-1912 U.S. Congressman - 1902-1913. Governor of Arkansas - January - March 1913. U.S. Senator - 1913-1937. Lonoke was named for lone oak tree, surveyor's landmark for . . . — Map (db m65710) HM
Arkansas (Lonoke County), Lonoke — F 25 — Senator Joe T RobinsonLonoke County
Senator Joseph Taylor Robinson, Arkansas' outstanding statesman was born six miles northwest of this place in 1872. He lived in Lonoke and practiced law; was elected to Congress and served ten years; moved to Little Rock in 1912; served as Governor . . . — Map (db m65713) HM
Arkansas (Lonoke County), Lonoke — 1 — The Little Rock Campaign - BrownsvilleConfederates Fight to Stop Union Advance
On the morning of August 25, 1863, at Bayou Two Prairie (east of where you are standing), Confederate Brigadier General John Marmaduke's troops skirmished with advance elements of Union forces under Brigadier General John Davidson. Marmaduke's . . . — Map (db m116392) HM
Arkansas (Madison County), Huntsville — 54 — Huntsville Massacre
Front On January 10, 1863, nine men, including two Confederate officers and prominent local citizens and Masonic lodge members, were taken from a guardhouse near here, led to Samuel Vaughn's farm one mile northeast of Huntsville, and shot. . . . — Map (db m141514) HM
Arkansas (Madison County), Huntsville — 53 — Isaac Murphy / Governor Isaac Murphy
Front Isaac Murphy was born Oct. 16, 1799, in Pennsylvania. A teacher and lawyer, he moved to Fayetteville in 1834 and became involved in politics. Murphy took part in the 1849 Gold Rush, but lost his farm to creditors. He, his wife and . . . — Map (db m141518) HM
Arkansas (Madison County), Huntsville — D-8 — Madison CountyCounty Government
A county government was organized in Madison County in 1836, in the barn of Evan S. Polk, a short distance northwest of the present town of Huntsville which was laid out as a town and made the permanent seat, of government in 1839. The county was . . . — Map (db m141599) HM
Arkansas (Marion County), Yellville — Double Turbine Water Wheel
Used to power the Hollinsworth Grist Mill on Little North Fork River in North Fork Township of Marion County. Mill was built by Robert and Lemuel Hollinsworth in 1885 and operated until 1933.

This Leppel or double turbine water wheel and . . . — Map (db m93812) HM

Arkansas (Marion County), Yellville — Marion CountyFirst County Seat
Marion County, created in 1835, was first named Searcy County. In 1836 its name changed to Marion by the first state legislature. That same year Yellville was laid out as a town and made the permanent seat of county government. The county . . . — Map (db m93803) HM
Arkansas (Miller County), Rondo — 7 — Confederate Records Stored at Rondo
When Gen. Frederick Steele's Union army invaded southwest Arkansas in April 1864, threatening the Confederate state capital at Washington, Gov. Harris Flanagin moved the state archives to Rondo, where they were deposited in James Abraham's store. . . . — Map (db m96022) HM
Arkansas (Mississippi County), Gosnell — Brave Men from the 97th Bombardment Wing
To honor the memory of these brave men from the 97th Bombardment Wing at Blytheville Air Force Base who did not return after their B-52 aircraft was shot down over Hanoi, North Vietnam in December 1972 Col. Keith R. Heggen Lt. Col. Donald L. Rissi . . . — Map (db m24056) HM
Arkansas (Mississippi County), Manila — Herman DavisPvt. Co. I 113th Inf. — Sharpshooter and Company Runner —
Enlisted March 14th 1918; Honorably discharged May 29th 1919 Cited for bravery for extraordinary heroism in action and decorated with: U.S. Distinguished Service Cross: Oct. 10th 1918 French Croix de Guerre with Palm: Apr. 19th 1919 Gilt Star . . . — Map (db m30388) HM
Arkansas (Mississippi County), Osceola — Albert King
Moving to Osceola with his family at age 8, Blues legend Albert King (1923-1992) earned an early living picking cotton on nearby farms. King began his magnificent professional career in Osceola with his group, In The Groove Boys. King's T99 Club, . . . — Map (db m36412) HM
Arkansas (Mississippi County), Osceola — Bank of Osceola
Built in 1909, the Bank of Osceola shared this building with various enterprises over the years, including a cotton brokerage firm and small movie theater. While much of the original architecture remains intact, four circular stone profiles of . . . — Map (db m36670) HM
Arkansas (Mississippi County), Osceola — Battle of Plum Run Bend
On May 10, 1862, Confederates defeated the Union navy in one of only two Civil War gunboat fleet engagements on the Mississippi River, ramming and sinking two Union ironclads, Cincinnati and Mound City. A reinforced Union armada routed the . . . — Map (db m36320) HM
Arkansas (Mississippi County), Osceola — Billy Lee Riley
Billy Lee Riley began picking cotton at age 7 on the Jacksonville plantation in Osceola. Influenced by local bluesmen, Riley became a 1950s rockabilly star, recording his first hit, Flyin' Saucers Rock & Roll, at Sun Studios. Retiring from music . . . — Map (db m36420) HM
Arkansas (Mississippi County), Osceola — Calvary Episcopal Church
Built in 1902, the Calvary Episcopal Church is one of the oldest still in use in the county, serving many farmers, laborers, and professionals along the Cotton Highway for over a century. The bell tower and main entrance formerly resided on Hale . . . — Map (db m36704) HM
Arkansas (Mississippi County), Osceola — Confederate Veterans of Mississippi County
1861 - 1865 In memory of the Confederate Veterans of Mississippi County erected A.D. 1934 United Daughters of the Confederacy Elliott Fletcher Chapter Bytheville Arkansas — Map (db m36531) HM
Arkansas (Mississippi County), Osceola — Coston Building
Built in 1915, the ground floor of this building once housed a barber shop and, later a hardware store. J.T. Coston, a Vanderbilt-educated attorney representing R.E.L. Wilson's farming interests, maintained his offices upstairs and was instrumental . . . — Map (db m36453) HM
Arkansas (Mississippi County), Osceola — Drug Store
This corner building has been home to a drug store dating back to 1913. Once a two-story building with an elevated parapet and cornice, a fire in the early 1960s destroyed the second floor. The building's longest-running occupant is Newcomb's Drug . . . — Map (db m36669) HM

780 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 201 through 401 were listed. Previous 200 Next 380
Paid Advertisement