Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Goliad County Texas Historical Markers

 
Battle of Coleto and Goliad Massacre Marker image, Touch for more information
By Brian Anderson, June 20, 2009
Battle of Coleto and Goliad Massacre Marker
Texas (Goliad County), Fannin — 322 — Battle of Coleto and Goliad Massacre
After the fall of the Alamo, March 6, 1836, Colonel James Walker Fannin, with about 400 soldiers, mostly volunteers from the United States in the Texas War for Independence, was ordered by Texas General Sam Houston to retreat from Goliad to . . . — Map (db m116301) HM
Texas (Goliad County), Fannin — 4726 — Site of Battle of El Perdido
On Farm to Market Road 2987 0.9 miles north of U.S. 59, on the right when traveling south.
During 1810 - 1819 efforts to expel Spain from Texas, a bloody clash occurred here on June 19, 1817, between the forces of Col. Antonio Martinez, last Spanish governor of Texas, and a Mexican Republican Army of invasion that was on its way to attack . . . — Map (db m131944) HM
Texas (Goliad County), Goliad — 15677 — Angel of Goliad
Near Fannin Monument Road east of S. Jefferson Street (U.S. 183/77), on the left when traveling east.
Amid the cruelties of the Texas War for Independence, one notable woman committed acts of bravery and compassion. Francisca Alavez (also known by similar names) accompanied Mexican Army Captain Telesforo Alavez to Texas in March 1836. In seven . . . — Map (db m36263) HM
Texas (Goliad County), Goliad — 178 — Aranama College
On Park Road 6, on the right when traveling west.
Named for 18th century Indian converts of Mission Espiritu Santo de Zuñiga. A men's college. Founded 1852 by Western Presbytery of Texas. Used buildings of old mission plus funds given by Goliad. Taught Latin, Greek, geography, surveying, . . . — Map (db m132011) HM
Texas (Goliad County), Goliad — 18017 — Bull Durham Tobacco Wall Advertisement
On South Commercial Street at South Courthouse Square, on the right when traveling south on South Commercial Street.
The town of Goliad began to grow in 1889 with the arrival of the locomotive. The railroads created the ability to receive larger supplies at a lower cost. Lumber, brick, stone and other materials that were formerly shipped by wagon were now . . . — Map (db m132544) HM
Texas (Goliad County), Goliad — 11894 — Cattle Drive from La Bahia
On Park Road 6, on the right when traveling west.
After Spain joined the American colonists in declaring war on England in 1779, Spanish soldier Bernardo de Galvez traveled to New Orleans to raise an army. Aware of the great number of wild cattle in Texas from his time spent stationed in the . . . — Map (db m132013) HM
Texas (Goliad County), Goliad — 13441 — Don Rafael Antonio Manchola
On South Market Street south of North Courthouse Square, on the right when traveling south.
Early Goliad leader Rafael Antonio Manchola was born to a Spanish aristocratic family circa 1800. In 1822, he arrived in La Bahia, and two years later he wed María de Jesús de Leon, daughter of empersario Martín de León and Patricia de la Garza. . . . — Map (db m34245) HM
Texas (Goliad County), Goliad — 17572 — First United Methodist Church of Goliad
On West Pearl Street (U.S. 59) at North Chilton Avenue, on the right when traveling west on West Pearl Street.
This historic congregation was organized in the 1840s. In 1859, the Goliad Circuit of the Methodist Church reported 166 members, the largest membership in the Rio Grande Conference. Some African Americans worshipped with Anglo Methodists before . . . — Map (db m132018) HM
Texas (Goliad County), Goliad — 11896 — Founding Site of First Baptist Church of Goliad
On South Chilton Street north of West End Street, on the right when traveling south.
A group of twelve Baptists met under an oak tree one block west of the Goliad town square on this site in May 1849. The Rev. John Freeman Hillyer officiated at the meeting, during which the twelve organized the first Baptist church in the area. The . . . — Map (db m132240) HM
Texas (Goliad County), Goliad — 2132 — General Ignacio Zaragoza(January 14, 1829 - September 8, 1862)
On Calle Cinco de Mayo at Lopez Road on Calle Cinco de Mayo.
Nació en este lugar cuando se llamaba "Bahia del Espíritu Santo." En 1855, al mando de un ejército de voluntarios Mexicanos, contribuyó a la derrota del dictador Santa Anna. Siempre fue caudillo en la defensa de su patria, el 5 de mayo de . . . — Map (db m36338) HM
Texas (Goliad County), Goliad — 2200 — Goliad
On South Market Street north of East Franklin Street, on the right when traveling north.
One of the three first Texas municipalities. Old Aranama Indian village called Santa Dorotea by the Spanish. Presidio La Bahia and Mission Espiritu de Zuniga established 1749. Here early events leading to the Texas Revolution were expeditions of . . . — Map (db m34142) HM
Texas (Goliad County), Goliad — 2203 — Goliad County
On U.S. 59, on the left when traveling east.
First known to Spanish settlers as Nuestra Senora de Loreto, later called La Bahia del Espritu Santo. Established as a mission in 1749. Became a strategic fort under Spanish, Mexican, Texas occupancy, 1810-1821, 1835-1836. Name changed to Goliad . . . — Map (db m34291) HM
Texas (Goliad County), Goliad — 2204 — Goliad County Courthouse
On North Courthouse Square, on the right when traveling east.
Built 1894. Cost $67,888.95. Limestone and brick from old courthouse were used in this, the fourth one built since county's creation in 1836. Used as hospital after 1902 cyclone. A 1942 storm tore off central clock tower. Enlarged in 1964. . . . — Map (db m132435) HM
Texas (Goliad County), Goliad — 2205 — Goliad Lodge No. 94 A.F. & A.M.
On South Commercial Street at East Franklin Street, on the right when traveling south on South Commercial Street.
First met on Aug. 18, 1851. Chartered Jan. 24, 1852. First Worshipful Master was A. H. Biscoe. All meetings have been held in this rubble stone building since it was erected in 1854. Post office and city hall occupied the first floor for many years. . . . — Map (db m132547) HM
Texas (Goliad County), Goliad — 18524 — Goliad Memorial Auditorium
On Auditorium Drive east of U.S. 183, on the right when traveling east.
Completed in 1937, the Goliad Memorial Auditorium was built to commemorate the Texas Centennial. The 43rd State Legislature allocated $3 million for the centennial and the 44th Legislature created the commission of control for the Texas Centennial . . . — Map (db m132014) HM
Texas (Goliad County), Goliad — 2207 — Goliad Tornado of 1902
On South Commercial Street, on the right when traveling north.
A cyclone, considered one of the two most disastrous in Texas history, struck Goliad on Sunday, May 18, 1902. The twister touched down on the south side of the San Antonio River at 3:35 p.m. Sounding like a heavily loaded freight train, the storm . . . — Map (db m34115) HM
Texas (Goliad County), Goliad — 2257 — Grave of Colonel J. W. Fannin and His Men
On Fannin Monument Road at Cabrera Road on Fannin Monument Road.
After battle of Coleto (March 19 - 20, 1836), where a Texas Army under Col. James Walker Fannin met defeat by Mexicans in superior numbers, the Texas soldiers were held in Presidio La Bahia, supposedly as war prisoners. However, by order of Mexican . . . — Map (db m35516) HM
Texas (Goliad County), Goliad — 2686 — J. W. Fannin
On South Market Street at East Franklin Street, on the right when traveling north on South Market Street.
(South Side of Monument) Erected In Memory of J. W. Fannin and his Comrades in Arms April A.D. 1885 Fannin (East Side of Monument) Massacred March 27, A.D. 1836 (North Side of . . . — Map (db m132546) HM WM
Texas (Goliad County), Goliad — 20155 — John Mason Brewer(March 24, 1896 - January 24, 1975)
On South Commercial Street at South Courthouse Square, on the right when traveling south on South Commercial Street.
Distinguished African American scholar and writer, John Mason Brewer, preserved African American culture with his literary and historical work in the 20th century. Born on March 24, 1896, in Goliad, Brewer's parents, J.H. and Minnie T. Brewer, . . . — Map (db m132545) HM
Texas (Goliad County), Goliad — 11898 — Judge James Arthur White and the Civilian Conservation Corps at Goliad State Park
On South Jefferson Street (U.S. 183) at Auditorium Drive, on the right when traveling south on South Jefferson Street.
Mississippi native and Goliad County Judge James Arthur White (1878-1953) possessed a fervent interest in Texas history, notably that of his adopted city of Goliad. He began in 1928 to organize support for a state park to protect Goliad's many . . . — Map (db m122045) HM
Texas (Goliad County), Goliad — 15807 — La Bahía Cemetery
On Cabrera Road at Barnhill Road, on the right when traveling north on Cabrera Road.
La Bahía Cemetery is located in the community of La Bahía and was established in conjunction with the chapel of Presidio Nuestra Señora Santa María de Loreto de La Bahía. The presidio had been relocated in 1749 to the banks of the San Antonio River . . . — Map (db m122040) HM
Texas (Goliad County), Goliad — 12499 — Manuel Becerra
On Calle Cinco de Mayo south of Camino de Bexar, on the right when traveling south.
Born at Presidio La Bahía del Espíritu Santo in 1762, Manuel Becerra played a significant role in the settlement and politics of the region. Becerra and his wife, Juana María Cadena, and their two daughters, María Josefa and Gertrudis, were leading . . . — Map (db m36335) HM
Texas (Goliad County), Goliad — 3217 — Market House Museum
On South Market Street at East Franklin Street, on the right when traveling north on South Market Street.
Site was dedicated to public use by City Ordinance No. 28, on Aug. 30, 1853. About 1871, market with 12 x 24-ft. stalls was put up at cost of $550, and rented to sellers of meat and produce. In 1886 this became firehouse, with a meeting hall . . . — Map (db m132241) HM
Texas (Goliad County), Goliad — 3408 — Mission Nuestra Senora Del Espiritu Santo De ZunigaMission of Our Lady of the Holy Spirit of Zuniga
Near Park Road 6 0.2 miles west of South Jefferson Street (U.S. 183).
Founded in 1722 by the Aguayo Expedition on "La Bahia del Espiritu Santo" (the Bay of the Holy Spirit), present Lavaca Bay. This mission reflects its former site in the popular name, "La Bahia". Its formal name (in part) honored Baltasar de Zuniga, . . . — Map (db m116299) HM
Texas (Goliad County), Goliad — 3399 — Mission Nuestra Senora del Rosario(Mission Our Lady of the Rosary)
On U.S. 59 1.9 miles south of Texas Highway 239, on the right when traveling south. Reported missing.
Founded in 1754 for the Cujane Indians. Capt. Manuel Ramirez de la Piszina, commander of nearby Presidio la Bahia, named this mission for his parish church in Spain, and Fray Juan Dios Camberos ministered to the first converts here. The Indians were . . . — Map (db m132016) HM
Texas (Goliad County), Goliad — Mission RosarioA Mission for the Karankawas
On U.S. 59, on the right when traveling east.
Missionaries from the college of Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe de Zacatecas founded Nuestra Señora del Rosario in 1754 for the coastal Karankawa tribes. The extensive cattle ranching operation begun by sister mission Espiritu Santo also supported . . . — Map (db m34287) HM
Texas (Goliad County), Goliad — 4119 — Presidio de Nuestra Señora de Loreto de la Bahía(Fort of Our Lady of Loreto of the Bay)
On Camino de Bexar east of Calle Cinco de Mayo.
One of the most historic Spanish forts in Texas. Popularly called Presidio la Bahía, it was founded on Espíritu Santo (present Lavaca) Bay in 1722. Twice moved, it was re-established here in 1749 to protect Espiritu Santo Mission (1/4 mi. NW). In . . . — Map (db m36230) HM
Texas (Goliad County), Goliad — 4236 — Regulators of Goliad County
On South Market Street south of North Courthouse Square, on the right when traveling south.
When the Civil War ended in April 1865, many Texans returned to find their farms and ranches neglected, their cattle running wild and unbranded. The Federal troops sent to occupy Texas in June 1865 could not control the widespread cattle thieving . . . — Map (db m34214) HM
Texas (Goliad County), Goliad — Replica of Texas Independence Flagpole
Near Calle Cinco De Mayo east of U.S. 183.
Displays a replica of banner unfurled Dec. 20, 1835, at signing of Declaration of Independence of Texas from tyranny of Santa Anna's regime in Mexico. That declaration, drafted by staunch early patriots Philip Dimitt and Ira Ingram, and signed by 92 . . . — Map (db m132434) HM
Texas (Goliad County), Goliad — 4572 — Santa Anna's Surrender Ratified
On North Courthouse Square, on the right when traveling east.
Gen. Vicente Filasola, Second in Command of Mexican armies in Texas War for Independence, fled from area of his nation's defeat at San Jacinto, April 21, 1836. Filasola's aim was to go to Mexico with his army. After he had passed through Goliad, . . . — Map (db m34166) HM
Texas (Goliad County), Goliad — 4833 — Site of Mission Nuestra Señora del Rosario
On U.S. 59, on the right when traveling east.
Established in 1754 for the Cujane Nation. Here faithful Franciscan missionaries attempted to Christianize and civilize the Indians of the region until 1794. — Map (db m34284) HM
Texas (Goliad County), Goliad — 3409 — Site of the Mission Nuestra Señora del Espiritu Santo de Zúñiga
On Park Road 6 0.2 miles west of South Jefferson Street (U.S. 183), on the right when traveling west.
First established at the site of La Salle's Fort on Garcitas Creek, Victoria County, among the Coco, Cujanes, Karankawa and other Indian tribes in 1722. Moved to Mission Valley, Victoria County, on the Guadalupe River among the Jaranames and . . . — Map (db m68955) HM
Texas (Goliad County), Goliad — 5083 — St. Stephen's Episcopal Church
On West Franklin Street at South Chilton Street, on the right when traveling west on West Franklin Street.
Begun as a mission, 1861, by the Very Rev. W. R. Richardson, Dean of St. Mark's, San Antonio. R. P. Wilkinson donated site. Church was built 1882, consecrated in 1885 by the Rt. Rev. R. W. Elliott, first bishop of Western Texas. Elevated to parish . . . — Map (db m132239) HM
Texas (Goliad County), Goliad — 2202 — The Goliad Advance-Guard
On South Commercial Street at East Franklin Street, on the right when traveling south on South Commercial Street.
The "Goliad Advance-Guard" was created by the merger of two newspapers. The "Guard" began in 1867, when Richard Wayne Davis bought the "Intelligencer" and changed its name. His son, R. T. Davis, published the paper from 1871 until 1892. A young . . . — Map (db m132548) HM
Texas (Goliad County), Goliad — 2360 — The Hanging Tree
On North Courthouse Square, on the right when traveling east.
Site for court sessions at various times from 1846 to 1870. Capital sentences called for by the courts were carried out immediately, by means of a rope and a convenient limb. Hangings not called for by regular courts occurred here during the . . . — Map (db m34113) HM
Texas (Goliad County), Weesatche — 11897 — Weser
On U.S. 183 0.2 miles north of Farm to Market Road 1961, on the left when traveling north.
Many German and Polish immigrants came to Texas in the 19th century on a ship named Weser. Arriving at the Port of Galveston, a number of the pioneer settlers made their way overland to this area, establishing a community in the 1850s and . . . — Map (db m122047) HM

36 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement