Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Gonzales County Texas Historical Markers

 
William B. Fleming Marker image, Touch for more information
By Brian Anderson, December 31, 2018
William B. Fleming Marker
Texas (Gonzales County), Belmont — 17932 — William B. Fleming
On State Highway 80 0.2 miles south of County Road 108, on the right when traveling south.
Born in Lumpkin County, Georgia, in 1830, William B. Fleming came to Texas before 1850 where he enlisted in Company C of the Texas Rangers Mounted Volunteers and later the Confederate Army during the Civil War. After the war, Fleming moved to . . . — Map (db m128145) HM
Texas (Gonzales County), Cost — 1224 — Dikes Family Cemetery
On State Highway 95 Spur north of State Highway 97, on the right when traveling north.
Established about 1850 by Miles G. Dikes (1804-1872). An original member of DeWitt Colony, Dikes emigrated from Georgia in 1829. In 1839 , married Eady Hodges (1810-1868). First known burial, in 1859, was Dikes' son, Lovic. Cemetery contains 20 . . . — Map (db m128147) HM
Texas (Gonzales County), Cost — 1867 — First Shot of the Texas Revolution
On State Highway 97 at State Highway 95 Spur, on the right when traveling west on State Highway 97.
One and one-half mile from here the first shot of the Texas Revolution was fired from a small cannon by Texans under the command of Col. John H. Moore October 2, 1835 — Map (db m128146) HM
Texas (Gonzales County), Cost — 2459 — Here was Fired First Gun for Texas Independence
On State Highway 95 Spur 1.1 miles north of State Highway 97, on the left when traveling north.
Here was fired first gun for Texas Independence. Oct. 2, 1835 Erected by the children of Gonzales city schools. Apr. 21, 1903 — Map (db m118444) HM
Texas (Gonzales County), Cost — 13546 — Site of Cost School
On State Highway 95 Spur north of State Highway 97, on the left when traveling north.
In the 1890s, children of families living in the Cost community, originally known as Oso, attended area schools that were part of the White School District No. 38 and County School District No. 38-1/2 to the east. By 1903, the county built the Cost . . . — Map (db m128148) HM
Texas (Gonzales County), Cost — 1866 — Site of the First Shot of the Texas Revolution
On State Highway 97 at State Highway 95 Spur, on the right when traveling west on State Highway 97.
Near here on October 2, 1835 was fired the first shot of the Texas Revolution of 1835-36 - the shot heard round the world. At Gonzales the Texans defied the Mexican government and refused their demand for the Gonzales cannon with the "Come and Take . . . — Map (db m118445) HM
Texas (Gonzales County), Gonzales — 1221 — 1834 Homesite of Capt. and Mrs. Almaron Dickinson
On St. James Street at St. Matthew Street, on the right when traveling north on St. James Street.
Site of the home to which two of the survivors of the Alamo returned, March 13, 1836. Susanna Dickinson, with her infant daughter, brought news of fall of Alamo into Mexican hands (March 6) and of the death of its heroic defenders from Gonzales, . . . — Map (db m128171) HM
Texas (Gonzales County), Gonzales — 3823 — Andrew Ponton Texas Heroes Square —
Near N. St Joseph Street at St. Lawrence Street.
Born in Virginia to William and Isabella (Mooreland) Ponton, Andrew Ponton came to Texas in December 1829 and settled in Green DeWitt's Colony, receiving a land grant near Hallettsville. He became active in area politics, and in 1834 he was named . . . — Map (db m36591) HM
Texas (Gonzales County), Gonzales — 690 — Campsite Marking Start of San Jacinto Campaign
On St. John Street at Water Street (U.S. 183), on the right when traveling south on St. John Street.
On March 11, 1836, Sam Houston, leader of Texas Revolutionary Forces, arrived here to organize the second volunteer army. On March 13, he heard of the massacre of Alamo defenders and that the Mexican army was advancing toward Gonzales. He . . . — Map (db m128172) HM
Texas (Gonzales County), Gonzales — 795 — Central Square
On St. Lawrence Street at North St. Joseph Street (Business U.S. 183), on the right when traveling east on St. Lawrence Street.
Green DeWitt in 1825 appointed James Kerr to select and survey the capital for DeWitt's Mexican land grant colony. Kerr named the capital Gonzales for Don Rafael Gonzales, Governor of Coahuila and Texas. This was central square in 49-block . . . — Map (db m128166) HM
Texas (Gonzales County), Gonzales — 853 — Church Square
On St. Paul Street, on the right when traveling north.
This block of the inner town of Gonzales was set aside in original plans of surveyor James Kerr for religious uses. Kerr's plans were approved by Don Rafael Gonzales the Provisional Governor of Coahuila and Texas. This block is still used for . . . — Map (db m128168) HM
Texas (Gonzales County), Gonzales — 1634 — First Baptist Church of Gonzales
On St. Paul Street at St. Louis Street (State Highway 146 Spur), on the right when traveling north on St. Paul Street.
Pioneer Texas Baptist minister Z. N. Morrell organized the first Baptist congregation in Gonzales in 1841. It disbanded after about four years, but by 1847 a new congregation, led by the Rev. Richard Ellis and nine charter members, had taken its . . . — Map (db m123658) HM
Texas (Gonzales County), Gonzales — 1756 — First Methodist Church of Gonzales
On St. Paul Street at St. Lawrence Street, on the right when traveling north on St. Paul Street.
Circuit-riding Methodist preachers conducted worship services in this area as early as 1824. In 1841 the Rev. J. P. Sneed organized a Methodist church here as part of his circuit, which included Victoria, Port Lavaca, and Seguin. By 1843 the . . . — Map (db m123645) HM
Texas (Gonzales County), Gonzales — 2214 — Gonzales Cannon
On County Road 197 west of U.S. 183, on the right when traveling east.
On this site September 29, 1835 the Mexican government troops demanded the return of the Gonzales cannon. After two days delay, awaiting recruits, the colonists answered, "Come and Take It." — Map (db m128151) HM
Texas (Gonzales County), Gonzales — 2215 — Gonzales Cannon Burial Site
On St. Louis Street (State Highway 146 Spur) at St. James Street, on the right when traveling east on St. Louis Street.
On this site September 29, 1835 the Gonzales cannon was buried from the 150 Mexican Dragoons sent to demand it. Two days later it was mounted on ox-cart wheels, loaded with chains and scrap iron, and fired at the Mexican Army, the . . . — Map (db m128170) HM
Texas (Gonzales County), Gonzales — 2218 — Gonzales County Jail
On St. Lawrence Street at St. Paul Street, on the right when traveling east on St. Lawrence Street.
. . . — Map (db m123638) HM
Texas (Gonzales County), Gonzales — 2219 — Gonzales Courthouse
On North St. Joseph Street (Business U.S. 183) at St. Lawrence Street, on the right when traveling north on North St. Joseph Street.
In county organized 1837, first courthouse burned 1893. This second one was built 1894-1896 at cost of $64,450. Headquarters for many Texas leaders; scene of important court decisions. — Map (db m123635) HM
Texas (Gonzales County), Gonzales — 2220 — Gonzales Memorial Museum and Amphitheatre
On Smith Street at St. Louis Street (State Highway 146 Spur), on the right when traveling north on Smith Street.
The commission created by the Texas Legislature in 1935 to oversee Texas' centennial joined with the Public Works Administration to build a memorial to Texas Revolution events in Gonzales. The memorial includes a museum, amphitheatre and reflecting . . . — Map (db m128176) HM
Texas (Gonzales County), Gonzales — 12837 — Green Dewitt Cemetery
On an unnamed park road 0.1 miles north of County Road 197, on the right when traveling north.
Green (1787-1835) and Sarah (Seely) (1789-1854) Dewitt moved their family from Missouri to Texas in 1826 after he successfully petitioned the Mexican government for an Empresario Grant to settle 400 Anglo-Americans on lands southwest of Stephen F. . . . — Map (db m128149) HM
Texas (Gonzales County), Gonzales — 2710 — Jail Square
On St. George Street east of North St. Joseph Street (Business U.S. 183), on the right when traveling east.
First mapped in 1825 as "Market Square," but had become "Jail Square" prior to 1836 when Gonzales was burned by order of Gen. San Houston to prevent buildings and supplies falling into possession of oncoming enemy, Gen. Santa Anna. — Map (db m128167) HM
Texas (Gonzales County), Gonzales — 1735 — James W. Robinson First Lieutenant Governor of Texas (1800-1857) —
On North St. Joseph Street (Business U.S. 183) at St. Lawrence Street, on the right when traveling north on North St. Joseph Street.
First Lieutenant Governor of Texas James W. Robinson (1800-1857) Born in Indiana. Came to Texas in 1833. Elected lieutenant governor in November, 1835, Served as governor January to March 1836, then fought as a private in the Battle of San Jacinto . . . — Map (db m123611) HM
Texas (Gonzales County), Gonzales — 3373 — Military Plaza
On St. Paul Street (State Highway 146 Spur) at North St. Joseph Street (Business U.S. 183), on the right when traveling east on St. Paul Street.
To comply with wishes of governor of Coahuila and Texas, the 1825 plans for Gonzales followed usual plans for Spanish towns. Surveyed by James Kerr, agent for colony's contractor, Green DeWitt, and Kerr's assistant, Byrd Lockhart. This was named . . . — Map (db m123661) HM
Texas (Gonzales County), Gonzales — 4045 — Plaza
On St. Louis Street (State Highway 146 Spur) west of St. Joseph Street (Business U.S. 183), on the right when traveling west.
Gonzales town tract of 4 square leagues had 49 squares in inner city - 7 of these squares for public use. This one was for municipal buildings, but became plaza. Now called Texas Heroes Square, in honor of all Gonzales men who fought in the . . . — Map (db m128169) HM
Texas (Gonzales County), Gonzales — 4367 — Route of Gen. Sam Houston to San Jacinto
On St. Lawrence Street at Smith Street, on the right when traveling east on St. Lawrence Street.
Stricken with news of the fall of the Alamo and threatened by a massive Mexican army, Sam Houston gathered the nucleus of a Texan army here, issued orders to burn this town (to hinder the Mexicans) and marched east, March 13, 1836. He won Victory at . . . — Map (db m128177) HM
Texas (Gonzales County), Gonzales — 4503 — Sam Houston Oak
On Alternate U.S. 90 at County Road 361, on the right when traveling west on U.S. 90Alternate .
1/8 mile north is Sam Houston Oak where General Sam Houston established his headquarters camp March 13, 1836 after burning the town of Gonzales Under this oak his small army was joined by many volunteers from the eastern . . . — Map (db m128178) HM
Texas (Gonzales County), Gonzales — 4571 — Santa Anna Mound
On U.S. 183 at Texas Highway 97, on the right when traveling south on U.S. 183.
Extending from this point one-quarter mile west is Santa Anna Mound formerly De Witt Mound now site De Witt Family Cemetery. Here Mexican troops camped between September 29 and October 1, 1835, awaiting delivery of the Gonzales . . . — Map (db m128152) HM
Texas (Gonzales County), Gonzales — 1215 — Sarah Seely De Witt
On an unnamed park road 0.1 miles north of County Road 197, on the right when traveling north.
Who with her daughter Evaline made the first battle flag of Texas used by the colonists in the Battle of Gonzales, October 2, 1835 Born in Virginia, 1789 came to Texas in 1826 with her husband Green De Witt, Empresario, and their . . . — Map (db m128150) HM
Texas (Gonzales County), Gonzales — 2634 — Site of Indian Fort
On St. Louis Street (State Highway 146 Spur) at St. John Street, on the right when traveling east on St. Louis Street.
An Indian raid July 2, 1826, left one Gonzales settler dead, another shot, homes plundered. Settlers fled to Burnham Station on the Colorado, or moved to Lavaca River. In 1827 DeWitt's colonists were ordered back here. On this lot they built a . . . — Map (db m128173) HM
Texas (Gonzales County), Gonzales — 2624 — The Immortal 32
On St. Louis Street (State Highway 146 Spur) at Smith Street, on the right when traveling west on St. Louis Street.
In Memory of the Immortal 32 Gonzales men and boys who, on March 1, 1836 fought their way into the beleaguered Alamo to die with Colonel William B. Travis for the Liberty of Texas. They were the last and only reinforcements to arrive in answer to . . . — Map (db m128175) HM
Texas (Gonzales County), Gonzales — 13 — The Old Eighteen
On County Road 197 at South St. Joseph Street (U.S. 183), on the left when traveling west on County Road 197.
On this site, September 29, 1835 began the strategy of the 18 Texians who by advising with Alcalde Andrew Ponton, held for two days 150 Mexican dragoons sent to demand the Gonzales cannon, allowing colonists time to mass recruits for . . . — Map (db m123671) HM
Texas (Gonzales County), Gonzales — 12612 — The Presbyterian Church of Gonzales
On St. Louis Street (State Highway 146 Spur) at North St. Joseph Street (Business U.S. 183), on the right when traveling east on St. Louis Street.
On February 29, 1852, the Presbyterian Church of Gonzales was constituted with eight charter members, led by the Rev. Joel T. Case. The Rev. John McRae served as the first permanent pastor and the congregation held worship services once a month in . . . — Map (db m123660) HM
Texas (Gonzales County), Gonzales — 5894 — Women of the Confederacy
On St. George Street east of St. Joseph Street (Business U.S. 183), on the right when traveling east.
To the Women of the Confederacy whose hearts bled, whose hands healed, whose pride was crucified, yet who were never conquered by the bitterness of war nor the devastation of the Reconstruction. To their glorious memory . . . — Map (db m128349) WM
Texas (Gonzales County), Waelder — 5441 — The Town of Waelder
On North Railroad Street (U.S. 90) at South Avenue E (State Highway 97), on the right when traveling east on North Railroad Street.
In 1875 and 1876, when the Galveston Harrisburg & San Antonio Railroad built through Gonzales County, this town was laid out to serve as a shipping point for the surrounding agricultural and ranching area. Hopkinsville, a thriving community five . . . — Map (db m6978) HM

33 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement