On Franklin Street north of Washington Avenue, on the right when traveling north.
This foundation is all that remains of Baldwin County’s first courthouse.
Authorized in 1820 but not constructed until circa 1833, the two-story brick building contained a jail on the bottom floor with office space on the upper floor. . . . — — Map (db m131830) HM
This church and cemetery have been in continuous service by the citizens of this area since the 1840's. Originally named "Methodist Episcopal Church South." Land donated by William L. Howard. Building built by L. E. Edmondson and a Creole helper, . . . — — Map (db m49260) HM
On Alabama Route 225, on the left when traveling north.
In 1799 the first public school in Alabama was built just north of this site at Boatyard Lake in the Tensaw Community. More than 90 small schools dotted Baldwin County in the early twentieth century This one room school was built in 1920 by African . . . — — Map (db m122669) HM
On County Road 32 0.2 miles west of Sherman Road, on the right when traveling west.
The community of Sonora was named in 1901 by the wife of the first postmaster, G.L. Sharretts. Situated near Red Hill Ford on Baker Branch and the intersection of travel routes between Silverhill, Magnolia Springs, Marlow . . . — — Map (db m130878) HM
On West Louisville Avenue, on the right when traveling east.
John H. Miller built this Gothic Revival townhouse in 1859. He and his wife moved from Orangeburg, South Carolina to Barbour County in the early 1830s, settling in an area which would become known as the Tabernacle community. He later purchased a . . . — — Map (db m60755) HM
On North Midway Street, on the right when traveling north.
This unusual house was built 1859 – 1861 by Benjamin Franklin Petty, a carriage and furniture merchant, who was a native of New York and a pioneer settler of Clayton. It was patterned after a design made popular by Orson S. Fowler’s book A . . . — — Map (db m39121) HM
On North Eufaula Avenue (U.S. 431) 0.1 miles north of Broad Street, in the median.
Built by John Hart about 1850, the Hart House is recognized as an outstanding example of pure Greek Revival architecture. Hart (c. 1805-1863) moved from New Hampshire and became a prominent merchant and farmer. When constructed, the house was on the . . . — — Map (db m48376) HM
Near State Park Road south of Furnace Road (County Route 62), on the right when traveling south.
Wilson Hayes constructed this typical farm house for his wife and six children just south of Six Mile around 1900. After he moved to Oklahoma c. 1915, his daughter Ollie and her husband Levert Rotenberry lived in the home until 1928. Between 1928 . . . — — Map (db m37136) HM
On State Park Road south of Furnace Road (County Road 62), on the left when traveling south.
Originally located off Patton Chapel Road in what is today Hoover, Alabama, the Sunshine and Dorothy Morton house was moved to the Brierfield Park in March 2005 by the Morton family and restored over the next two years by restoration specialist . . . — — Map (db m37177) HM
On North Prairie Street, on the right when traveling south.
The Bullock County Courthouse Historic District in Union Springs consists of 47 structures along three blocks of Prairie Street. Focal point of the district is the 1871 courthouse which is one of the finest post-bellum courthouses in the state and . . . — — Map (db m83257) HM
On County Road 92 0.3 miles east of County Road 585 when traveling east.
Constructed around 1875 by John Seaborn Watt for his bride, Emma Chastillette Williamson, this fine example of Victorian architecture was originally located near Yancey's Bend prior to the construction of Weiss Lake. The site was going to be . . . — — Map (db m137844) HM
On Cedar Bluff Road (State Road 283) north of West Main Street (Business U.S. 411), in the median.
The current courthouse is the fourth to be built on this site. The first courthouse, constructed of brick in 1849, burned in 1882. A second brick courthouse was built that year and it only lasted 13 years before it burned in 1895. The third brick . . . — — Map (db m114838) HM
Hatcher School was created as a result of the dreams and sacrifices of the people of the community. Black children in Centre had to travel to Cedar Bluff to attend school. The State purchased land and citizens of the community provided funding and . . . — — Map (db m133323) HM
On South River Street south of 2nd Street, on the left when traveling south.
This house was built in 1846 by George Walden soon after the town of Centre was laid out. The house was occupied by Judge Wm. Lafayette Whitlock who was a lawyer, delegate to the 1861 Secession Convention and judge of the 12th judicial district. . . . — — Map (db m120047) HM
After the war broke out, wooden frame barracks were built by North and South at permanent installations such as forts, arsenals, coastal installations, and training camps. In winter, smaller barracks were constructed with available materials and man . . . — — Map (db m129426) HM
On County Road 63 0.7 miles north of State Route 143, on the left when traveling north.
Alter the death of Jefferson Manly Falkner, Soldiers' Home founder in 1907, the Soldiers'
Home Board of Control commissioned this obelisk in his honor. The monument was erected in 1908 under the northeast corner of the veranda of Memorial Hall. . . . — — Map (db m129411) HM
On County Road 63 0.6 miles north of State Route 143, on the left when traveling north.
This late nineteenth century building, originally Gray & Speer's store, was located less than a mile south near the South & North Railroad (later L&N and present day CSX). It was converted to a post office around 1906.
Veterans from the Alabama . . . — — Map (db m129333) HM
On South Jackson Street, on the right when traveling south.
Built by Judge John Gates Creagh, attorney, commissioner, county treasurer, judge of county orphans court and state legislator. It was originally located on lot 15 Court Street, facing the county court house, and was moved in the mid 1930's to . . . — — Map (db m47652) HM
On Mayton Drive, on the left when traveling south.
Built circa 1848 by Isham Kimbell on Lower Commerce Street. Given to city by Woodson family and moved
to this site in 1977 by Jackson Historical Commission, successors to Jackson Bi-Centennial Committee, with a grant from the M. W. Smith, Jr. . . . — — Map (db m39202) HM
Near Court Square (Road 31) at 2nd Avenue North, on the right when traveling south.
Established Dec. 7, 1866
Boundaries of eastern Talladega County and western Randolph County were redrawn in 1866 to create the 58th county of Alabama. The name honors U. S. Senator Henry Clay of Kentucky. Historical place . . . — — Map (db m95095) HM
On W. 20th Street at W. 15th Street on W. 20th Street.
Center of Industry for new town of Sheffield. Five blast furnaces with 75 ft stacks build 1886~1895 1/2 mile west. Promoted by E. W. Cole and E. Ensley. Iron ore and limestone from Franklin Co., coke from Walker Co. and Virginia used. Hattie Ensley . . . — — Map (db m28428) HM
This congregation was organized in July 1823 as Concord Church, later known as Union Church, then as Tuscumbia Baptist. Jeremiah Burns was the first pastor. It began meeting at this site about 1845 in a plain wooden building. The New England-style . . . — — Map (db m28564) HM
On County Road 5 1.2 miles north of County Road 30, on the right when traveling north.
This two and a half story structure with unusual lower front extension was the home of Dr. John Watkins. Dr. Watkins was one of the first and few physicians in this part of the Mississippi Territory. Before coming to Burnt Corn, he lived in . . . — — Map (db m81297) HM
On Alabama Route 22 at Jackson Street, on the right when traveling west on State Route 22.
Named for the river on its western border, Coosa County was created by the Alabama Legislature on December 18, 1832, from land ceded by the Creek Nation in the Treaty of Cusseta. The name is taken from the Native American word . . . — — Map (db m131716) HM
On East 3 Notch Street at 6th Avenue, on the right when traveling west on East 3 Notch Street.
Andalusia City Hall
Today, the Andalusia City Hall houses city government offices and is a host site for meetings and special events. Modern information, technology, and communications of city government mesh with the original . . . — — Map (db m94169) HM
On South 3 Notch Street at Dunson Street, on the right when traveling south on South 3 Notch Street.
History of the Library
In 1913 the Study Club of Andalusia was organized to establish a library for Andalusia. Led by founder Miss Ethel Darling the club held a book shower
resulting in $5.50 and 15 books which became the embryo of the . . . — — Map (db m129389) HM
On 3rd Street Northeast (U.S. 278E) at 6th Avenue Northeast, on the left when traveling east on 3rd Street Northeast.
The Betz Addition Historic District, also known as “Quality Hill”, lies to the north of Highway 278 East and is named in honor of Cullman’s first mayor, Fred Betz. The district is listed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage. . . . — — Map (db m33839) HM
On Arnold Street, on the right when traveling east.
The Louisville and Nashville Railroad Company completed building this Mission Style depot in 1913. When the tracks were laid below ground level, it replaced Cullman's first station located on First Avenue at Third Street, SW.
Passenger service . . . — — Map (db m29975) HM
On Vine Street at 1st Street North, on the right when traveling north on Vine Street.
Prior to 1905, workmen in search of
salvageable bricks dismantled the old
Dallas County Courthouse (pictured
here). The grassy mound before you
contains the damaged bricks the
workmen left behind.
Cahawba was the county seat from . . . — — Map (db m112559) HM
On Capitol Avenue at Vine Street, on the right when traveling east on Capitol Avenue.
Alabama's first statehouse stood on this lot, but no drawing by a person who actually saw it has been found. It was built in 1819 and destroyed in 1833, before the invention of photography. There are many drawings of the statehouse, but all are pure . . . — — Map (db m75908) HM
On Oak Street north of Fifth North Street, on the left when traveling north.
Two story brick slave quarters like the
one before you were not typical, but they
could be found in wealthy towns like
Stephen Barker built these quarters in
1860 on the northern edge of town.
As you can see in the . . . — — Map (db m112472) HM
1822 - Crocheron's Row
Cahawba's First Shopping Center
This large hole was dug in 1822 to be the
basement beneath Cahawba's first brick
In the 19th century the word "row"
described a building that consisted of . . . — — Map (db m112577) HM
On Vine Street at Capitol Street, on the right when traveling north on Vine Street.
Cahawba's homes were spread over an
entire square mile, many with yards of
one or two acres. That was not the case
here on Vine Street. Offices, stores and
hotels were tightly packed along this
main street. The steamboat landings on
the . . . — — Map (db m112560) HM
This house, the Fambro / Arthur home,
takes its name from two of its owners.
One was a judge, the other was a former
The Fambro Family
A. Judge W. W. Fambro built this house
in the early 1840s. He may have created . . . — — Map (db m112451) HM
A New York merchant, Richard Conner
Crocheron, built a magnificant mansion
on this spot. The adjacent photograph
captured the decayed splendor of this
home before it burned. Look closely
at the photograph. Try to identify the
columns . . . — — Map (db m112582) HM
Near Alabama Avenue near Lauderdale Street, on the right when traveling east.
Entered on the National Register of Historic Places March 26, 1976 Federal Building U.S. Courthouse Selma, Alabama James Knox Taylor Architect 1909 This property significantly contributes to the nation’s cultural heritage . . . — — Map (db m131992) HM
On Union Street at Alabama Avenue on Union Street.
Central Masonic Institute of Alabama acquired property 1847 and erected building. Confederate Hospital during War Between the States. Dallas County Courthouse (1866-1901) on removal of County Seat from Cahaba. Presbyterian High School for Boys in . . . — — Map (db m37656) HM
On Church Street at Parkman Avenue, on the right when traveling south on Church Street.
This Greek Revival house was built circa 1850 by Thomas Helm Lee, master builder and owner of early Selma lumber yard. Born in Kentucky, he was the son of Miller Lee of Buckingham County, Virginia and married Mary Jane Blanks of Cahaba in 1839. He . . . — — Map (db m37674) HM
On Lauderdale Street, on the right when traveling north.
Built c. 1859 by Henry H. Ware, this house exemplifies the picturesque eclecticism which dominated Alabama architecture after 1850. It mixes elements of the older neoclassicism with the newer Victorian trends.
Prominent owners through the years . . . — — Map (db m37675) HM
On St. Joseph Avenue (U.S. 31) at Mildred Street (U.S. 29), on the right when traveling north on St. Joseph Avenue.
Truly an Escambia County landmark, Robbins and McGowin Co. organized in March 1897 with the consolidation of the J. I. Robbins and J. G. McGowin Stores, the millinery of Miss L. A. Cunningham, the Blacksher-Miller Commissary, and the J. E. Finlay . . . — — Map (db m130673) HM
On Misella Street at Lamosa Street, on the right when traveling south on Misella Street.
Martin Lindsey bought the Pollard Mill later known as the Lindsey Mill Company. Several hundred employees worked at the Mill during the early 1900s, among them Joe Douglas, head of the woodlands, and Percy Watson, accounting. Mr. Lindsey handled the . . . — — Map (db m84386) HM
On South 1st Street south of Walnut Street, on the right when traveling north.
Through the efforts of local citizens, Benny Dean and Floyd Beddingfield, the City of Gadsden obtained this facility from American Legion Post Number 5 in 1985. Built in 1935, the amphitheater seats 1600 persons. Designed by local architect, Paul W. . . . — — Map (db m83736) HM
On South 1st Street, on the right when traveling north.
Built of local sandstone in 1935 on land obtained from the American Legion Post No. 5 this municipal amphitheatre seating about 1600 was constructed for staging theatrical and sporting events. Gadsden architect Paul W. Hofferbert designed the . . . — — Map (db m39140) HM
On Broad Street at North 5th Street, on the right when traveling west on Broad Street.
This Italianate brick commercial structure with a cast-iron storefront on the first floor is significant for its 24 year association with Gadsden’s principal newspaper. It was constructed in 1904 to house The Gadsden Times-News, which was . . . — — Map (db m39217) HM
On Chestnut Street at South 9th Street, on the right when traveling east on Chestnut Street.
Built in 1886 for Edward Tracy Hollingsworth, a prominent merchant and banker, this two-story Victorian - style house with mansard roof is one of the few surviving examples of late-nineteenth century architecture in Gadsden. The original complex . . . — — Map (db m39134) HM
On County Road 28 2.5 miles east of State Route 95, on the right when traveling east.
Reuben Hicklin Hall Log Home
Reuben Hicklin Hall (1812-1890) and Mary Ann Strange (1814-1872) moved to Henry County by ox wagon from Washington County, Georgia, in 1845. They built a log home just south of here with slave . . . — — Map (db m71821) HM
On Kirkland Street, on the right when traveling south.
This rare, dual front door, double pen Creole cottage was constructed circa 1840 on the military three-notch road, now Kirkland Street. It is the oldest remaining structure in Abbeville. Earliest known owner was Confederate Colonel William Calvin . . . — — Map (db m60754) HM
On County Road 47 4.5 miles south of State Route 10, on the right when traveling south.
“The Mansion” was built in the 1830's on this site by Colonel James Bennett and his wife, Harriet M. Grace. Tradition maintains that it was the only three story antebellum home in the Chattahoochee Valley. The top . . . — — Map (db m83759) HM
On North Main Street (Alabama Route 95) at Clark Street, on the right when traveling south on North Main Street.
This house, also known as Travelers Rest, was completed in 1890 by William Henry Purcell (1845-1910) a prominent Columbia businessman and politician. Purcell had many business interests including a steamboat landing on the Chattahoochee River. This . . . — — Map (db m73370) HM
Entered on the National Register
of Historic Places
December 31, 1974
James Knox Taylor Architect 1909
This property significantly contributes to the Nation's Cultural Heritage . . . — — Map (db m83781) HM
On East Main Street at North Foster Street, on the right when traveling west on East Main Street.
Side A This District encompasses the old downtown commercial center of Dothan and is characterized by a high concentration of closely spaced commercial and warehouse structures. The buildings in the District span the period of Dothan’s early . . . — — Map (db m41136) HM
This quaint turn of the century farmhouse originally stood on an 80 acre farm, located 2 miles west of the Houston County Courthouse. The house was built by Bud Bush of heart pine lumber from the sawmill owned and operated by . . . — — Map (db m73378) HM
On Rhodes Circle, on the right when traveling west.
The house was built c. 1908 for Adolph B. Loveman, a Hungarian immigrant who in 1887 founded the dry goods business that evolved into one of Birmingham’s signature retail establishments, Loveman, Joseph & Loeb. Its English-style neighbor to the . . . — — Map (db m83800) HM
Near 3rd Avenue North near Richard Arrington Jr, Blvd North.
To Be Opened March 1, 2022
Dedicated at the construction completion March 1, 2002
Owners - BLH Group, LLC
Brookmont Investors II, LLC
Spire Holdings, LLC
Developer - Brookmont Realty Group, LLC
General . . . — — Map (db m27010) HM
On Richard Arrington Jr. Boulevard North at 2nd Avenue North, on the left when traveling north on Richard Arrington Jr. Boulevard North.
The two commercial buildings on this corner lot are some of the earliest surviving business houses in Birmingham. The Dewberry building appeared on the corner about 1881, and it housed the first and longest surviving drug store in the city, starting . . . — — Map (db m36740) HM
Near 32nd Street North at 2nd Avenue North, on the left when traveling north.
The Duncan House was build in 1906 as a home place for James and Lelia Duncan and their eight children in what is now Tarrant City, Alabama. Duncan worked throughout his life in the nearby shops and yards of the L&N Railroad (know CSXI) as water . . . — — Map (db m86613) HM
On 20th Street South at 11th Avenue South, on the right when traveling north on 20th Street South.
This neighborhood developed in the 1880s as one of Birmingham's first streetcar suburbs. It was the Town of Highlands from 1887 to 1893, when it became part of the City of Birmingham. The heart of the neighborhood was Five Points Circle, a major . . . — — Map (db m83829) HM
Side A Territorial legislature designated home of Maj. Moses Kelly (in Jones Valley) as site of first court in this area of Alabama, 1818.
After creation of Jefferson County, 1819, court held at Carrollsville (Powderly) until county seat . . . — — Map (db m25743) HM
On 19th Street North at 3rd Avenue North, on the right when traveling north on 19th Street North.
Built in 1937, Birmingham’s S. H. Kress Five-and-Ten Cent Store was the second completed of the three great mercantile buildings on this intersection. Its construction reflected Kress’s confidence in Birmingham’s economy and marked a break by its . . . — — Map (db m38557) HM
On 2nd Avenue North, on the left when traveling west.
This row of buildings from 2009 to 2017 Second Avenue dates from the early years of the 20th century and has undergone a variety of changes and modernizations over the years. Originally part of a larger building that burned in 1944 (now the site of . . . — — Map (db m38563) HM
Near Richard Arrington Jr Boulevard North at Park Place, on the right when traveling east.
The Tutwiler Hotel
In 1913, George Gordon Crawford, President of Tennessee Coal, Iron and Railroad Company, complained to Robert Jemison Jr., that when friends and officers from U.S. Steel came to town they had . . . — — Map (db m99317) HM
On Park Avenue, on the right when traveling north.
Summit/Hale Sps., a one-room school, opened on the mountain in 1898. It moved to this site and was named Bluff Park Elementary School with 50 students and funded with community support in 1923. From two-rooms, it expanded to 32 classrooms in 1988. . . . — — Map (db m28486) HM
On Montevallo Road, on the right when traveling east.
Jonathan Bass was born January 30, 1837, in Jefferson County. His father arrived in Jefferson County in 1816, and Jonathan was a life-long resident. Although the Bass House was under construction as early as 1863, Jonathan left the farm to join the . . . — — Map (db m24697) HM
On Office Park Circle 0.1 miles west of Cahaba Road, on the right when traveling west.
In 1955, Ervin Jackson and Newman H. Waters developed the first office park in the United States.
Since 1871 office buildings had been located in downtown Birmingham so the concept of thousands of workers coming to a suburban work-place was a . . . — — Map (db m83252) HM
On Pinson Valley Parkway (Alabama Route 79), on the right when traveling south.
A pipe foundry was established in 1912 by the following founders, A. H. Ford, F. M. Jackson, E. E. Linthicum, Charles Green and Charles Day. Originally the main office was located approximately 100 yards west of this building. The . . . — — Map (db m83928) HM
On Alabama Route 17 at Brown Street, on the right when traveling north on State Route 17.
Built in 1888, this was the first house constructed within the original city limits of Sulligent after incorporation. It was the family home of William W. and Tallulah Henson Ogden. One of the founders and chief promoters of Sulligent. Mr. Ogden was . . . — — Map (db m96471) HM
On Lelia Avenue at Willingham Road on Lelia Avenue.
The land on which this district rests was part of the 1818 sale by the Cypress Land Company which established the City of Florence. During The Civil War Confederate soldiers constructed breastworks here for the defense of Florence. House . . . — — Map (db m35235) HM
On Hermitage Drive at North Court Street, on the right when traveling north on Hermitage Drive.
This "double- pile cottage" is a rare Alabama example of Tidewater architecture that originated along the Southern seaboard during the colonial period. This house was built in 1833 by Thomas J. Crowe, proprietor of the early National Hotel in . . . — — Map (db m83962) HM
On E. Mobile St. just from Wood Ave., on the right when traveling east.
The Presbyterians organized the first church in Florence and purchased this property from the Cypress Land Company in 1818. A sanctuary was erected here in 1824. James L. Sloss, an early Alabama Territory missionary, was installed as the church's . . . — — Map (db m28955) HM
On North Pine Street south of West Tuscaloosa Street, on the right when traveling south.
The Karsner-Kennedy House is significant because of its architectural characteristics. Benjamin F. Karsner (1800-1897) of Maryland married Sarah McCarter of Virginia in 1827. He was a prominent figure in Florence and at times he . . . — — Map (db m84026) HM
Pope's Tavern Museum is housed in a building that dates back to the early 1800s. According to legend Christopher Cheatham built and operated a tavern on this site for Leroy Pope in 1811. This was seven years before the founding of Florence in 1818. . . . — — Map (db m66764) HM WM
On North Main Street north of East Tuscaloosa Street, on the right when traveling south.
Built in 1826 in the Spanish Revival architectural style, this is the first structure in Florence erected with a steel skeleton supporting the floors, walls and roof. The framework is strong enough to support two more stories than were actually . . . — — Map (db m35176) HM
Named for the O’Neal family which produced two Alabama governors and for seminary, the street on which the Synodical Female College was located, the Seminary-O’Neal Historic District was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1995. . . . — — Map (db m84049) HM
On North Court Street at East Mobile Street on North Court Street.
Charles Morton Southall (1864-1952) constructed this Commercial Italianate style building in 1900 of the finest materials for his wholesale/retail drug business. The elegant interior by Charles Hester, New York City, contained the area's first . . . — — Map (db m35175) HM
On North Walnut Street near East Tuscaloosa Street.
Walnut Street began as a residential area in the national economic boom of the 1880s and 1890s and continued its development through the 1920s. Industries and businesses grew in Florence, the population of the city increased, and business and . . . — — Map (db m84158) HM
The Wesleyan Bell was manufactured by the C.S. Bell Company in Hillsboro, Ohio, it is made of alloy steel, has a diameter of 38 inches, and is 24 inches high (not including its yoke). The weight of the bell is 660 pounds. When 350- pounds mountings . . . — — Map (db m28881) HM
On Jefferson Street at Van Buren Street, on the right when traveling west on Jefferson Street.
Built about 1830 for merchant Joseph Trotter, this house was purchased in 1838 by John J. McMahon, a Virginia-born cotton factor who divided his time between Courtland and New Orleans. The house remained the home of McMahon's descendants for nearly . . . — — Map (db m84307) HM
On Wheeler Dam Road (State Highway 101) at County Road 269, on the right when traveling north on Wheeler Dam Road.
This mansion, located about one mile east, was placed on the National Register of Historic places 1 Oct 1974. Built by Turner Saunders (1782-1853) on property purchased 9 April 1833, the house may have an earlier construction date.
Revolutionary . . . — — Map (db m37281) HM
On Tichenor Avenue at North Gay Street, on the right when traveling east on Tichenor Avenue.
In 1846, Auburn's founder, Judge John J. Harper deeded the property on this corner to Simeon Perry, as town agent for two of the earliest public schools in Auburn. A member of the settlement party, Perry laid out the original . . . — — Map (db m79948) HM
On East Magnolia Avenue at South Debardeleben Street, on the right when traveling east on East Magnolia Avenue.
Built by Auburn merchant A.L. Dillard in 1894, the home was once part of the old Scott Plantation. It was one of the first homes in Auburn to have an indoor bath and electricity. An unusual feature of the house is the gray stone, for which Dillard . . . — — Map (db m74445) HM
The Lane House, built in 1853 at the corner of Thach and College Street, was home to several Auburn University notables, E. T. Glenn, Treasurer, leased it in 1873. Gen. James H. Lane, Aide to Gen. Stonewall Jackson and Head of Engineering, purchased . . . — — Map (db m85165) HM
On South Debardeleben Street at East Magnolia Avenue, on the left when traveling south on South Debardeleben Street.
Colonel Nathaniel J. Scott, from Harris County Georgia, built this house, which he called Pebble Hill, on 100 acres in 1847. With its pyramidal roof and symmetrical lines, the frame house reflects the Greek Revival . . . — — Map (db m74446) HM
On East Magnolia Avenue 0.1 miles east of North Ross Street, on the right when traveling east.
Designed by William Dryden Baughman and built by Fred Burk in 1929, the house was not finished due to the Great Depression. Because of its two-story turret and French Norman Style, it became known as "The Castle." In 1949, the home was sold to . . . — — Map (db m74443) HM
Marker Front Thomas Bibb built this grand house in 1826 and named it "Belle Manor" (beautiful home), but local pronunciation altered it to "Belle Mina". The home which stayed in the Bibb family until 1940 was the seat of Bibb's large . . . — — Map (db m85424) HM
On Westside Street south of West Northside Street, on the right when traveling south.
This two-story brick structure, built in 1870, is an example of the Italianate Style. Many of these buildings no longer exist, being replaced by later growth in downtown districts. The Italianate Style is distinguished by the large upper story . . . — — Map (db m100193) HM
On East Rosa Parks Avenue at Eastside Street, on the left when traveling east on East Rosa Parks Avenue.
Macon County was created by the Alabama Legislature on December 18, 1832 and formed out of land formerly belonging to the Creek Indians. The County was named for Nathaniel Macon, a Revolutionary War soldier and long-serving . . . — — Map (db m99677) HM
On West Montgomery Road east of Chambliss Street, on the right when traveling east.
The actual sight of a first-class house that a Negro has built is ten times more potent than pages of discussion about a house that he ought to build, or perhaps could build. —Booker T. Washington, Up From Slavery . . . — — Map (db m101919) HM
The Cadet House and the Army Supply Building provided much-needed space when training operations expanded in 1942 and 1943. The Cadet House also held a cadet classroom and waiting room, a coat room, and the Flight Surgeon's Office. The Army Supply . . . — — Map (db m100252) HM
This ventilated shed provided safe and convenient storage for the large quantities and various grades of oil used at Moton Field for the maintenance of airplanes and service vehicles. It has been adapted to house the site's fire protection system. . . . — — Map (db m100254) HM
Near University Avenue 0.2 miles east of Booker T. Washington Boulevard.
. . . I should consider it a far-reaching calamity for us to lose Mr. Taylor at Tuskegee. —Booker T. Washington
Look at the buildings around the main quadrangle. Much of what you see is the work of Robert R. Taylor, . . . — — Map (db m101929) HM
On University Avenue at Lewis Adams Street, on the right when traveling east on University Avenue.
On February 10, 1940 George Washington Carver signed the deed of gift establishing the Carver Foundation with a $33,000 contribution from his personal savings. According to Carver, the foundation was established "for the purpose of combining . . . — — Map (db m101912) HM
On Booker T Washington Boulevard at Campus Drive, on the right when traveling north on Booker T Washington Boulevard.
We also felt that we must not only teach the students how to prepare their food but how to serve and eat it properly. Booker T. Washington, The Story of My Life and Work
Hospitality continues to reign in this . . . — — Map (db m100274) HM
Near University Avenue 0.2 miles east of Booker T. Washington Boulevard.
Built as a girls dormitory with funds donated by the widow of Collis P. Huntington, philanthropist, and president of the C & O (Chesapeake & Ohio) Railroad. Huntington Hall was designed by architect, Robert R. Taylor, the first African American . . . — — Map (db m101907) HM
On University Avenue 0.2 miles east of Booker T. Washington Boulevard, on the right when traveling east.
. . . the school is not dependent upon the presence of any one individual. The whole
executive force . . . is so organized . . . that the machinery of the school goes on day by day like clockwork.
—Booker T. Washington, . . . — — Map (db m101922) HM
On University Avenue west of Tuskegee Airmen Circle, on the right when traveling west.
Porter Hall was the first building erected on the Tuskegee campus. The building housed administrative offices, library reading and recitation rooms, chapel, kitchen, dining room, living quarters and laundry. It . . . — — Map (db m101915) HM
On University Avenue west of Lewis Adams Street, on the right when traveling east.
Thrasher Hall, renovated in 1983. Was built in 1893 by teachers and students using brick they made. Only the exterior walls remain from the original building. The bell above rang for class changes. It was located in the building's bell tower until . . . — — Map (db m101905) HM
On University Avenue at Tuskegee Airmen Circle, on the right when traveling east on University Avenue.
I determined when quite a small child . . . I would in some way get enough education to enable me to read common books and newspapers.
—Booker T. Washington, Up From Slavery
Booker T. Washington changed the . . . — — Map (db m101932) HM
On John T Reid Parkway/Lee Highway (U.S. 72) 0.1 miles east of Walker Street, on the right when traveling west.
Home of Virginia Clay Clopton (1825-1915)
Author and Social Leader who was known in Washington society as "The Belle of the Fifties"
Whose first husband, Clement Claiborne Clay (1817-1882), was United States Senator from Alabama (1853-1861) and . . . — — Map (db m134092) HM
Near Ford's Chapel Drive at Autumn Drive, on the right when traveling north.
The Western Conference, Oct. 1-7, 1808 in Williamson County, Tenn., sent James Gwinn to the "great bend" of the Tenn. River. Gwinn organized at the home of Richard and Betsy Ford, the first Methodist Society of the six in the Flint Circuit. This . . . — — Map (db m78121) HM
Designated by the City of Huntsville, Alabama on December 12, 1974 as a Huntsville historic district, it contains houses dating from 1828 onward with the majority dating from 1880 to 1929. Approximate boundaries:
East Clinton Avenue north to . . . — — Map (db m30381) HM
On Echols Street near Adams Street, on the right when traveling west.
During the original Madison County Land Sales of 1809, LeRoy Pope of Petersburg, GA, secured among other purchases a majority of Section 36, Township 3, Range 1 West, the site of the future town of Twickenham, as Huntsville was originally known. . . . — — Map (db m32480) HM
Constructed circa 1818 by John Adams at the NE corner of Madison St. and Williams Ave. Operated as an inn and boarding house by William E. Phillips from 1819-21; believed to have housed some delegates to the nearby Alabama Constitutional Convention . . . — — Map (db m85609) HM
On Metaire Lane north of Eastview Drive, on the left when traveling north.
This Federal-style farmhouse was originally part of a complex constructed in 1818 on property that is now owned by Redstone Arsenal. In 1818, James Cooper, a cotton farmer constructed a house for his bride, Charity. After Mr. Cooper's death, Charity . . . — — Map (db m40167) HM
On Cahaba Avenue (Alabama Route 28) at North Mobile Street, on the left when traveling west on Cahaba Avenue.
Constructed 1848 and served as the
seat of county government until 1903.
October 9, 1890 Rube Burrows, the nations most notorious Train Robber, was slain here by Sheriff Jefferson D. Carter.
1903-1915 Linden Public School
1915-1947 . . . — — Map (db m72972) HM
On Military Street South (U.S. 278) at 1st Avenue SW, on the right when traveling south on Military Street South.
February 13, 1818 — Gin Port - west of Amory, MS on Tombigbee River
December 16, 1819 — Henry Grier House, near Columbus, MS - first designated courthouse
Late 1820-1822 — Military Ford Court - under . . . — — Map (db m96791) HM
Near Cathedral Caverns Highway north of 1st Street West, on the left when traveling north.
Constructed in 1937, the Florence H. Becker Recreation Hall was named in honor of Florence Hague Becker, President General of the National Society Daughters of the American Revolution from 1935 to 1938. The vertically placed pine logs used in the . . . — — Map (db m33312) HM
On St Francis Street 0.1 miles west of North Lawrence Street, on the right when traveling west.
Built in 1878 in the Italianate style. In 1852, Bettie Hunter was born a slave in Dallas County, Alabama and later moved to Mobile after the Civil War. She and her brother, Henry Hunter, had a profitable carriage business in downtown Mobile. She . . . — — Map (db m86389) HM
On North Broad Street at Congress Street, on the right when traveling south on North Broad Street.
Opened in 1887 as Broad Street Academy, this was the site of Mobile's first public high school for African Americans. The building was razed in 1947, and a new elementary school was constructed and named in recognition of William Caldwell, the first . . . — — Map (db m111353) HM
On St. Anthony Street at North Hamilton Street, on the right when traveling west on St. Anthony Street.
Mrs. Pearl Johnson Madison was one of the early African-American women to own a funeral home in the state of Alabama in 1928. The funeral home and burial association served the African-American community when white mortuaries would not. Today, the . . . — — Map (db m111310) HM
On South Royal Street south of Government Street, on the left when traveling south.
Southern market buildings & municipal
offices also served as military armory
before and during the Civil war
Stalls for farmers, butchers, game
sellers and fishermen on ground floor
Officially registered in 1969 in
National Register of . . . — — Map (db m87287) HM
On North Dearborn Street at St Francis Street, on the right when traveling south on North Dearborn Street.
This two-story brick structure was built in 1869 with James H. Hutchisson as architect to house the first volunteer fire company in Mobile. The company was founded in 1819. As descendants of the French, Spanish and Africans, the Creoles formed their . . . — — Map (db m86402) HM
On Government Street (U.S. 90) at South Bayou Street, on the right when traveling west on Government Street.
Rear Admiral, Confederate States Navy,
Brigadier General, Confederate States Army,
Commander of the Alabama, the greatest
sea raider of all times.
— — — —
In this house, a gift of the
people of Mobile, . . . — — Map (db m86572) HM
On St Louis Street at North Water Street, on the right when traveling east on St Louis Street.
Throughout the 19th and first half of the 20th century, large warehouses and commercial buildings lined Water and Commerce Streets to service the port of Mobile. One St. Louis Centre, known locally as the McGowin-Lyons Building, was the largest and . . . — — Map (db m86354) HM
On St Francis Street at St Joseph Street, in the median on St Francis Street.
The incorporation of The Merchants Bank of Mobile was authorized April 13, 1901 with offices at 56 St. Francis Street. On July 1, 1927, Merchants became a national bank and occupied this eighteen story building which was dedicated October 11, 1929. . . . — — Map (db m86434) HM
On Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue west of North Lawrence Street, on the right when traveling west.
George B. Rogers, a prominent architect, designed this smaller replica of the main library in 1931. It is a classically inspired white structure with linear lines. It was the only library for blacks until desegregation in the mid-1960s. Today it is . . . — — Map (db m111308) HM
On South Joachim Street 0.1 miles south of Dauphin Street, on the left when traveling south.
This building constructed in 1853,
by Judge Henry V. Chamberlain,
a former mayor of Mobile, was
in 1871 and 1872, the residence of
who, in 1861, designed
the Confederate Flag and . . . — — Map (db m86504) HM
On Dauphin Street 0.1 miles east of Common Street, on the right when traveling east.
This building was erected in 1845 by the Protestant Orphans Asylum Society, to care for children left homeless after the disastrous fires and yellow fever epidemics of the 1830s. It has operated continuously since that time. — — Map (db m111293) HM
On South Joachim Street 0.1 miles south of Dauphin Street, on the right.
Opening night, January 19, 1927, saw crowds gather to hear local dignitaries praise Mobile's "Place of Entertainment". Today the Saenger Theatre remains the entertainment center of downtown. Designed by Emile Weil in the French Renaissance . . . — — Map (db m86503) HM
On Springhill Avenue east of Silverwood Street, on the right when traveling east.
Organized in Mobile on January 29, 1844, this Reform Jewish Congregation is the oldest in Alabama and one of the oldest in the United States. Members met in homes until December 27, 1846, when the St. Emanuel Street Temple was dedicated. The . . . — — Map (db m111291) HM
On Springhill Avenue 0.3 miles west of Mobile Infirmary Boulevard, on the right when traveling west.
Built for Judge John Bragg in 1855; Thomas James, supervising architect. After 1880 owned by Pratt, Upham and Frank Davis families. Acquired 1925 by A.S. Mitchells who restored house and lived here forty years. — — Map (db m111288) HM
On Government Street (U.S. 90) at South Scott Street, on the right when traveling east on Government Street.
Built in 1860 by George Gilmore, owned in 1866 by Dr. Edmund Pendleton Gaines, in 1901 by Mrs. Susan Quigley; this historic house was bought in 1963 by the City of Mobile and restored by the Junior Chamber of Commerce. — — Map (db m86408) HM
On North Alabama Avenue, on the left when traveling north.
The Old Monroe County Courthouse, designed by prominent Southern architect Andrew Bryan, was built between 1903 and 1904 during the tenure of Probate Judge Nicholas Stallworth. One of two buildings of this type designed by Bryan (a sister courthouse . . . — — Map (db m47688) HM
On U.S. 84 at County Route 1, on the left when traveling west on U.S. 84.
Oldest Building in Monroe County
Erected in 1824 with funds from a public lottery. Lower floor served as a Baptist Church and a Court Room in which William B Travis, then a resident of Claiborne, practiced law. Visited by General LaFayette April . . . — — Map (db m39203) HM
On South Perry Street, on the left when traveling north.
For almost the first century of statehood, Alabama's governors lived in private homes or hotels while in office. In 1911 the state acquired the Moses Sable home on South Perry Street for the governor's residence. Lined with fine houses, Perry was . . . — — Map (db m25413) HM
Near North Bainbridge Street at Dexter Avenue, on the right when traveling north.
Has been desiginated a
Under the provisions of the
Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935
this site possesses exceptional value
in commemorating and illustrating
the history of the United . . . — — Map (db m74156) HM
On Early Street at Rosa L Parks Avenue, on the right when traveling west on Early Street.
Bertha Pleasant Williams Library Rosa L. Parks Avenue Branch has been placed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks & Heritage by the Alabama Historical Commission October 25, 2018 — — Map (db m136278) HM
On Washington Avenue at South Perry Street, on the right when traveling west on Washington Avenue.
In February, 1861, delegates from six of the seven seceding southern states met in Montgomery to establish the government of the CSA. Newly elected President Jefferson Davis named J.H. Reagan of Texas as Postmaster General. Reagan established the . . . — — Map (db m71242) HM
On Norman Bridge Road at Park Avenue, on the right when traveling north on Norman Bridge Road.
Constructed in the early 1900s, the Folmar - Siegelman house stylistically combines elements of both Victorian and early bungalow design. Its high gables, wide eaves, projected bay window and secluded entry reflect the desire of most Americans at . . . — — Map (db m86115) HM
On South Perry Street 0.1 miles north of Grove Street, on the left when traveling north.
Built in the 1850's for Jack Thorington, mayor of Montgomery from 1838-39, this House has also been the home of Mordecai Moses, mayor in the late 1870's, and Joseph Norwood who had been mayor of Fort Deposit before coming to Montgomery. Moses owned . . . — — Map (db m71226) HM
On Dexter Avenue east of Court Square, on the left when traveling east.
History Happened Here
The City of Montgomery built this public park on one of the
lots occupied by the Montgomery Fair Department Store.
Rosa Parks was an assistant to the tailor for Montgomery Fair.
On December 1, 1955, Mrs. Parks . . . — — Map (db m121435) HM
On North Hull Street at East Jefferson Street, on the right when traveling north on North Hull Street.
Located on the Federal Road near Line Creek (present Waugh) in eastern Montgomery County, this wayside hotel was built prior to 1818 and was owned by a least two other families before coming into the possession of Walter and Eliza Lucas around . . . — — Map (db m98557) HM
On South Jackson Street at Tuscaloosa St. on South Jackson Street.
In 1900, Marshall Moore and his wife, Agnes V. McClain commissioned Joseph G. Nesbitt, Sr., an African-American contractor/builder, to construct this Victorian period cottage. The Moores, among the first graduates and early faculty members of . . . — — Map (db m86130) HM
On North Hull Street at East Jefferson Street, on the right when traveling north on North Hull Street.
Built on this site by architect Charles Ordeman in 1852-1853, this upscale townhouse exemplifies the newly fashionable Italianate style, with its bracketed overhanging roof cornice and asymmetric door placement. A showcase for modern design in its . . . — — Map (db m71394) HM
Near South Court Street at High Street. Reported missing.
Built early 1850's by Samuel Farrow Rice, state legislator and Chief Justice, Alabama Supreme Court. Sold in late 1860's to attorney Henry Churchill Semple, whose family occupied home until 1954 when sold to John Haardt, a realtor.
Sold to . . . — — Map (db m74157) HM
On South Decatur Street (Alabama Route 21) at Scott Street on South Decatur Street.
This was the site of the home of Warren Stone Reese (1842-1898) --planter, cotton merchant, soldier, and mayor of Montgomery.
Reese, promoted to the rank of colonel in the Confederacy for gallantry at Chickamauga, became commander of the . . . — — Map (db m81807) HM
On Washington Avenue at South Hull Street, on the left when traveling west on Washington Avenue.
The three Dowe houses are a reminder of the residential neighborhood that existed here in the 19th century.
The main family residence, dating from 1863, was originally designed as an Italianate-style "raised cottage." But in . . . — — Map (db m86428) HM
On Felder Avenue west of Dunbar Street, on the right when traveling west.
On April 22, 1908, the Cloverdale Company issued the original deed on this lot to Cloverdale Homes, a development company. On April 19, 1909, Cloverdale Homes deeded the property to its original occupant Louis H. Moore, a local banker, and his . . . — — Map (db m69186) HM
Near Madison Avenue (Alabama Route 108) at North Hull Street, on the right when traveling west.
An elegant blend of Greek Revival and Italianate architectual styles, the Thompson Mansion reflects the aesthetic and economic highs of the 1850s. The symmetrical layout of the house with entrances on all four sides features interior cross hallways . . . — — Map (db m71400) HM
On Vine Street Northwest at Grove Street Northwest, on the left when traveling north on Vine Street Northwest.
Led by first pastor Alfred Peters, 21 members organized this church on April 22, 1866, in the home of Sister Jane Young. Services were first held in a storefront building on the banks of the Tennessee River. In 1873 First Missionary purchased a . . . — — Map (db m27765) HM
In 1890, 75 members of St. Paul's Church (founded 1867) in Old Decatur, split away from the church over the location of a new building. Newcomers to the parish and city wanted to build it in New Decatur/Albany, near their homes. . . . — — Map (db m32483) HM
On Polk Street south of College Street, on the right when traveling south.
Built in 1832 as a law office for John Lockhart; bought in 1880 by the Young Men's Christian Association, this being the first chapter south of the Mason-Dixon Line to own a building; Andrew Barry Moore Chapter of the U.D.C. organized here in 1903; . . . — — Map (db m116914) HM
On County Road 2203 south of County Road 2204, on the left when traveling south.
Built ca. 1860 on land owned by Daniel Carlisle, this school educated Pike County youths until consolidation closed its doors in 1935. In 1895 it was conveyed to trustees for the school by Robert Henry Lee Rodgers for a school. Between 1923 and . . . — — Map (db m92684) HM
Built in 1929, Bibb Graves Hall opened in September, 1930. It was named for Alabama Governor Bibb Graves (1927-31, 1935-39) who was known as the “education governor.” Bibb Graves Hall served as the original administration building for . . . — — Map (db m38940) HM
On McKinley Drive north of University Avenue, on the left when traveling north.
Built in 1961 and renovated in 1989, the Chancellor's residence is the "front door" to the University. It has served as the entertainment site for international, national, state and local leaders, including ambassadors, U.S. Senators, governors, . . . — — Map (db m111582) HM
Named for Fletcher Thomas Cowart, a Troy University professor of natural science from 1890 to 1919. Cowart Hall was constructed in 1950. Originally a men’s dormitory, it was later used to house junior and senior women students. The structure was . . . — — Map (db m38933) HM
On University Avenue west of Luther Drive, on the left when traveling west.
Built in 1997, the Hall of Honor is named to honor three key leaders of Troy University: two Chancellors - Dr. Jack Hawkins, Jr. and Dr. Ralph W. Adams and the longtime leaders of the “Sound of the South” Marching Band and Director . . . — — Map (db m38942) HM
The original structure was named for Charles Roderick McCall, Professor of Languages at Troy Normal School from 1890 to 1898. It was constructed in 1960-1961 to house the various sciences. In 1999, the structure was renovated and enlarged to house . . . — — Map (db m38938) HM
Built in 1946 as a men’s dorm. Named for Matthew Downer Pace, who served Troy University from 1891 to 1941 as Professor of Mathematics, Dean and President. The building was made necessary by the heavy influx of male students enrolling immediately . . . — — Map (db m38931) HM
Built during 1929, Shackelford Hall opened to students in September 1930. It was named for the institution’s president Edward Madison Shackelford, who served from 1899 to 1936. Adjoining this building was the original dining facility for the campus. . . . — — Map (db m38932) HM
On East Walnut Street at North Market Street, on the right when traveling west on East Walnut Street.
Side A Chiseled in the cornerstone are the words, Franklin MacVeagh, Secretary of the Treasury, James Knox Taylor, Supervising Architect, MCMX.
This Classical Revival-style Post Office remained in service until 1980. The building . . . — — Map (db m38944) HM
On Airport Road 0.1 miles west of Sikorsky Road, on the right when traveling west.
The first African-American pilots in U. S. military history utilized
this hangar, located originally at Tuskegee Army Air Field. Built by
Nashville contractors McKissack and McKissack, the base was the first
major Army Air Forces base . . . — — Map (db m115025) HM
Founded March 31, 1864 by evangelist Moses Park. William Terry Kirby, Sr. and Nancy T. Greer Kirby donated four acres of land adjacent to their home for the church site. Services were first conducted at a brush arbor on the property, which later . . . — — Map (db m11732) HM
On U.S. 80 at Bleeker Road, on the right when traveling east on U.S. 80.
This historic building was erected in 1848 to serve as the
Tuckabatchee Masonic Lodge No. 96. At the time, this community
of Crawford, Alabama (formerly known as Crockettsville from 1832 -
1843, named after Davy Crockett) was . . . — — Map (db m111586) HM
This tablet placed by the descendants of Edmund King, Jr. and the Alabama Writers Conclave. To commemorate his life and services. First brick house and first with glass windows built in this section of the state. Formerly known as the Mansion House. . . . — — Map (db m37353) HM
On Greensport Road (County Route 24), on the left when traveling east.
John Looney and son, Henry, served in General Andrew Jackson's volunteer company which built Fort Strother on Coosa River and later fought at Horseshoe Bend in 1814. Looney's family of nine moved from Maury Co. Tenn. to homestead 1817 in St. Clair . . . — — Map (db m24066) HM
On North Broadway Avenue (Alabama Route 21) at East 1st Street, on the right when traveling north on North Broadway Avenue.
The district contains a collection of late-19th to mid-20th century commercial buildings representing over 60 years of Sylacauga's commercial history. On December 1, 1886, the Anniston and Atlantic Railroad became the first railroad to come through . . . — — Map (db m131719) HM
On North Broadway Avenue (Alabama Route 21) at West 8th Street, on the left when traveling north on North Broadway Avenue.
The Works Progress Administration (WPA), the Sylacauga community, and the state of Alabama, constructed this library in 1939. The building is the result of $16,588 from raised local funds including a $5000 donation for furnishings from the family of . . . — — Map (db m131721) HM
On Confederate Parkway 0.3 miles south of Tannehill Road, on the left when traveling south.
Built in the late 1870s near Vernon, Alabama by Edward Francis Collins. Logs were cut from timber on the family farm and hand hewed.
The house remained in the Collins family until it was moved to this site in the spring of 1984.
It was . . . — — Map (db m107501) HM
On Greensboro Avenue (State Highway 215) at 13th Street, on the right when traveling south on Greensboro Avenue.
The Chabannes - Sealy House was built in 1847 by Hollis C. Kidder. The house passed through several owners until it was sold in 1920 to Julia Nuzon Morris. Her daughter, Julia Morris, married Norbert Chabannes. That family lived here until the house . . . — — Map (db m35323) HM
On Hackberry Lane at 4th Street, on the left when traveling south on Hackberry Lane.
Constructed in 1923 through gift of J. T. Horne, this building occupied by Druid City Hospital School of Nursing from 1923 to 1947. Used by University of Alabama from 1951 to 1954 to house first state supported collegiate school of nursing in . . . — — Map (db m29608) HM
To identify their work masons often carved special marks into the bottom, sides, or back of the stones. Their supervisors were thus able to distinguish between the quality and quantity of each mason's work. Blocks for the building were quarried from . . . — — Map (db m29116) HM
On 6th Street at 28th Avenue, on the right when traveling west on 6th Street.
This stone commemorates the
City of Tuscaloosa as the second
state capital, January 1826
to January 1846.
Erected by the Alabama Centen-
nial Commission and the citizens of
Tuscaloosa, and dedicated December
14, 1919. On . . . — — Map (db m28996) HM
On University Blvd at 22nd Avenue, on the right when traveling east on University Blvd.
Constructed in 1909 as US Post Office. First occupied April 1910, with Mrs. Maggie Miller as Postmistress. Federal courtroom, now City Council Chamber, with magnificent design and detail, on second floor, 1910-1968. Thomas A. Jones first Federal . . . — — Map (db m35376) HM
On Court Street at Central Avenue (Alabama Route 56), on the left when traveling north on Court Street.
The Washington County Courthouse as it was
built in 1908. It was razed in 1963. This memorial
cornerstone was placed by the Washington County
Historical Society and the Washington County Museum. — — Map (db m122737) HM
On Jefferson Davis Highway (U.S. 43) 0.2 miles north of Batley Road, on the right when traveling north.
Built circa 1841 by Walter Taylor on Commerce Street in Jackson. In 1985, it was removed from its original site to make way for a new City Hall Complex and was brought to this site and restored as the Leroy Branch of the Washington . . . — — Map (db m70598) HM
On Alabama Route 56 0.8 miles west of U.S. 43, on the right when traveling east.
The Sullivan Cabin was built on the east side of Bassett Creek, in
1874 by Gibeon Jefferson Sullivan, a Confederate soldier who served
in Co. A. 32nd Ala Infantry, an all-volunteer company made up of
men from Washington County. The cabin is a . . . — — Map (db m122341) HM
On State Highway 10 at Adams Street on State Highway 10.
Founded in 1882 by John Trotwood Moore, who became a famous author, archeologist, and poet laureate of the State of Tennessee, the original two-story wood frame building served the Pine Apple area from 1882 until the present brick structure was . . . — — Map (db m47705) HM
Suter, “The Live Jeweler” and E.R. Peoples, owner of E.R. Peoples General Merchandise, married two sisters in 1910.They built these two adjoining houses, together one of the first modern homes in town. — — Map (db m47408) HM
This is the site of the original cabin of James J. Wickersham. He was an author, pioneer judge, congressional delegate and Alaska Visionary.
Alaska Centennial 1867-1967
State of Alaska
Governor Walter J. Hickel
Alaska Centennial Commission — — Map (db m47384) HM
Measuring 50’ X 100’, this was once the largest buildings in Dyea. I was built on pilings for fear of high tide coming up that far in 1898. Warehouses were used to sort out massive piles of mining supplies and bring order to the chaos that had . . . — — Map (db m72788) HM
Built as McCabe College for Women in 1899-1900. This is the first granite building in Alaska. It served as a Federal Court House from 1901 until statehood when it was purchased by the city of Skagway for a museum. — — Map (db m72789) HM
On Main Street 0.1 miles north of West 6th Street, on the right when traveling north.
An early 1900s adobe home built by the son of Eagar's first Mormon Bishop. Crosby, a major sheep & cattle rancher, was a railroad contractor who in 1917 laid the track for the Santa Fe Railroad north of here. — — Map (db m36626) HM
On North Main Street, on the left when traveling north.
Completed in 1912 by J.P. LeSueur manager of the Eagar ACMI, this frame house with a skin of pressed metal wall sheathing is best known as home to one of the Colter Bros. important Round Valley Ranchers. — — Map (db m36643) HM
Built c.1892, this adobe structure once housed the Eagar School & later a bootlegger's still. Jepson purchased & enlarged the home in 1925 & moved his family from Alpine so his daughters could attend Round Valley High School. — — Map (db m36627) HM
On South Harless Street at West 8th Street, on the left when traveling north on South Harless Street.
On July 24, 1900, the Peter P. Rencher family arrived from Texas in four wagons & set about building their place in Eagar. Completed in 1913, this 5 bedroom, red brick Colonial Revival home was the crown jewel of their labors. — — Map (db m36618) HM
On North Main Street at East 3rd Avenue, on the right when traveling north on North Main Street.
This handsome example of Colonial Revival architecture was home to the manager of Round Valley's ACMIs. His wife, the area's first registered nurse, boarded expectant mothers & teachers from the high school. — — Map (db m36645) HM
On Apache Street at Supai, on the left when traveling east on Apache Street.
Gregorio Baca bought this house from G. Becker in 1907 for his bride, Chona Ortega. It's walls are 16" thick adobe. The wealthy Bacas & Ortegas ran large herds of cattle & sheep on vast tracts of land in Concho, St. Johns & The R.V. area. — — Map (db m36383) HM
On Apache Street at Silva Lane, on the left when traveling east on Apache Street.
Part of the Spanish migration from northern New Mexico to Round Valley, Faustin Baldonado & his son Pedro bought this adobe home w/1 foot thick walls in the 1890's. Originally a cantina, Pedro added rooms when he married in 1900. — — Map (db m36382) HM
On East 4th Avenue at North Eagar Street, on the left when traveling west on East 4th Avenue.
H.T. Brawley, teacher and principal of R.V.H.S. began construction on this house in approximately 1925. The unfinished shell sold to the M.J. Wiltbank Family in 1935. M.J. & son Clive completed the home. Through the years teachers, newlyweds & . . . — — Map (db m36595) HM
On West Main Street (U.S. 180/191), on the right when traveling west.
Built c.1915 & originally called the Apache Theatre, this adobe movie house once showed silent flickers with a hand-cranked projector. Renamed the El Rio in 1937, Round Valley's first theatre is still operating with its original popcorn machine. — — Map (db m36381) HM
On North Papago Street 0.2 miles north of Apache Street, on the right when traveling north.
These log structures built by Thompson, a Danish convert to Mormonism, are Round Valley's oldest surviving buildings (1879). The cabin hosted the first Mormon services in Springerville. — — Map (db m36385) HM
On South Mountain Avenue, on the right when traveling north.
Built during the great depression using native stone & W.P.A. labor, this twenty-bed facility finally opened in 1939 when a doctor agreed to come to Round Valley to finish, lease & run the hospital for 10 years. — — Map (db m36649) HM
These doors and windows were used to build a jail on the Northwest corner of Huachuca & 5th Street during April – May 1938. Needing jail material, Benson obtained approval to remove cell doors & windows from the no longer used jail in . . . — — Map (db m48508) HM
On Arizona Street, on the right when traveling north.
The Calumet and Arizona Mining Company developed a new town site in this area in 1905 to ensure the continued success of its mining interests. Using the "City Beautiful" model, the new town site – Warren – provided affordable housing. In . . . — — Map (db m48574) HM
The extent of the power and influence of the copper mining industry in Bisbee's early history is evident here in the Copper Queen Plaza. The buildings were built by the Copper Queen Consolidated Mining Company, later to become Phelps Dodge . . . — — Map (db m28276) HM
10841 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 10641