Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

McLennan County Texas Historical Markers

 
Crawford Marker in Context image, Touch for more information
By QuesterMark, June 27, 2014
Crawford Marker in Context
Texas (McLennan County), Crawford — 13191 — Crawford
Located in an area of McLennan County once inhabited by Tonkawa Indians, the community of Crawford grew slowly from an 1850s settlement centered around Tonk Crossing (two miles northeast). The first townsite was at the crossroads of the Waco to . . . — Map (db m88484) HM
Texas (McLennan County), Lorena — 5372 — The Lorena United Methodist Church
This church was organized in 1881 under the Rev. E.R. Barcus as pastor. The congregation met at first in the Baptist Church building. Trustees Herbert J. Hudson, A.J. Pool, and H.C. Williams bought the site and supervised the construction of the . . . — Map (db m117610) HM
Texas (McLennan County), Moody — 1657 — First Baptist Church of Moody
The First Baptist Church of Moody was organized in 1855 in the community of Perry (2 mi. N), with Elder S.G. O'Bryan serving as first pastor. Another early minister, the Rev. John McClain, had been present at the church's organization and served the . . . — Map (db m88298) HM
Texas (McLennan County), Waco — 490 — Brann-Davis Shootings — (April 1, 1898)
The city of Waco in the 1890s divided into two armed camps over the caustic criticisms of William Cowper Brann (1855-1898) in his magazine, "The Iconoclast". A gifted writer, Brann attacked many organizations, especially Baptists and Baylor . . . — Map (db m84679) HM
Texas (McLennan County), Waco — 1255 — Doris Miller — October 12, 1919 - November 25, 1943
Doris (Dorie) Miller was reared on a farm in McClennan County, Texas, and attended Waco’s A.J. Moore High School. He enlisted in the U.S. Navy and was assigned to the battleship “USS West Virginia” in 1940. The “West . . . — Map (db m34637) HM
Texas (McLennan County), Waco — 1454 — Elite Cafe
The first Elite cafe opened in downtown Waco in 1919 and was acquired by the Greek immigrant Colias family in 1920. The Colias brothers opened this Elite cafe in 1941 on "The Circle," a traffic hub built on Waco's suburban edge in the early 1930s. A . . . — Map (db m68678) HM
Texas (McLennan County), Waco — 2171 — Gerald-Harris Shooting — (November 19, 1897)
James W. Harris (1863-1897), editor of Waco's "Times -Herald" and Judge George Bruce Gerald (1836-1914) argued over an article the Judge wrote. It supported William Cowper Brann's controversial magazine, "The Iconoclast", which denounced, among . . . — Map (db m84678) HM
Texas (McLennan County), Waco — Going Up The Chisholm Trail — 1867
“To those riders who passed this way ... their memories, honored in stone but written in our hearts” “Across the Brazos at Waco” — Map (db m94683) HM
Texas (McLennan County), Waco — 2708 — Jacob de Cordova — (June 6, 1808 - January 26, 1868)
Born to a Jewish family in Spanishtown, Jamaica, British West Indies, Jacob de Cordova immigrated to Philadelphia about 1830. After a brief return to Jamaica where he founded a newspaper, he became engaged in trade between New Orleans and Texas. He . . . — Map (db m94685) HM
Texas (McLennan County), Waco — 5448 — The Waco Suspension Bridge
In 1866 the Waco Bridge Company was granted a 25 year charter to build a toll bridge here. The charter guaranteed that no other bridge or ferry could be built within five miles. Construction began in 1868 and, after much financial difficulty, was . . . — Map (db m33216) HM
Texas (McLennan County), Waco — 5448 — The Waco Suspension Bridge
In 1866 the Waco Bridge Company was granted a 25 year charter to build a toll bridge here. The charter guaranteed that no other bridge or ferry could be built within five miles. Construction began in 1868 and, after much financial difficulty, was . . . — Map (db m94684) HM
Texas (McLennan County), Waco — 5510 — Torrey's Trading Post No. 2 — (2.3 mi. north on bluff above Trading House Creek)
Site of greatest Indian council in Republic of Texas. There President Sam Houston made famous 1844 peace talks to assembled chiefs. Was "listening post" for frontier. Built and run by George Barnard for Torrey's Trading Company, post in 1844-49 was . . . — Map (db m84677) HM
Texas (McLennan County), Waco — Waco Spring
Erected by Henry Downs Chapter Daughters of The American Revolution 1849 - May 5 - 1917 Reclaiming the Waco Spring Famed in Local Tradition As the Camp Grounds Of the Waco Indians And the first crossing Of the Brazos . . . — Map (db m94686) HM
Texas (McLennan County), West — 2289 — Groppe Building
One of the first German settlers in the area, August Groppe, Sr. (1840-1919) had this structure built in 1892, the year the town of West was incorporated. A prominent cotton farmer and businessman. Groppe hired local brickmasons and used bricks that . . . — Map (db m62453) HM
Texas (McLennan County), West — 5315 — The Crash at Crush — (0.5 Mi. E)
A head-on collision between two locomotives was staged on Sept. 15, 1896, as a publicity stunt for the Missouri, Kansas & Texas railroad. Over 30,000 spectators gathered at the crash site, named "Crush" for MKT passenger agent William G. Crush, who . . . — Map (db m35909) HM
Texas (McLennan County), West — 5315 — The Crash at Crush — (0.5 Mi. E)
A head-on collision between two locomotives was staged on Sept. 15, 1896, as a publicity stunt for the Missouri, Kansas & Texas railroad. Over 30,000 spectators gathered at the crash site, named "Crush" for MKT passenger agent William G. . . . — Map (db m59674) HM
Texas (McLennan County), West — 5758 — West
This community traces its origin to the establishment by entrepreneur Thomas M. West of a stagecoach stop, dry goods store and post office here in the late 1860s. Known as the Bold Springs Settlement, these commercial structures were built on a . . . — Map (db m60001) HM
Texas (McLennan County), Woodway — 12537 — Central Presbyterian Church
This church was established as Cumberland Presbyterian Church of Waco by 18 charter members in 1869. The Rev. William Dillard served as first Pastor. Led by the Rev. D.C. Kinnard, the congregation built a 2-story brick sanctuary in 1873 which also . . . — Map (db m63743) HM

18 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.