Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Rosenwald Schools Historical Markers

Julius Rosenwald, president of Sears Roebuck established a foundation that funded 4,977 schools for African American's throughout the south from 1912 to 1932.
 
Old Merritt School Midway Community Center Marker image, Touch for more information
By David J Gaines, October 20, 2012
Old Merritt School Midway Community Center Marker
Alabama (Bullock County), Midway — Old Merritt School Midway Community Center
Margaret Elizabeth Merritt of Midway sold two acres for $5 to the state of Alabama in 1921 as a site for an elementary school for African-American children. Built in 1922 with matching Rosenwald funds, the Midway Colored Public School featured oak . . . — Map (db m60910) HM
Alabama (Chilton County), Clanton — Chilton County Training School 1924-1969
The Chilton County Training School (CCTS) was the only facility in the county that provided a secondary education for black boys and girls until the mid-1960s. In 1924 black landowners donated five acres for the school to the Board of Education who . . . — Map (db m54656) HM
Alabama (Elmore County), Wetumpka — Elmore County Training School
Constructed in 1924 on five acres, this building was one of nine schools constructed in Elmore County with funding assistance from the Julius Rosenwald Fund. Between 1912-32, Julius Rosenwald, a Jewish philanthropist and CEO of Sears, Roebuck and . . . — Map (db m70548) HM
Alabama (Escambia County), Atmore — Escambia County Training School
In 1920, a wooden building was constructed as the Atmore Colored School and operated until 1925. In 1926, a new wood and a brick building was erected with assistance from Rosenwald School fund and it was renamed the Escambia County Training School. . . . — Map (db m100835) HM
Alabama (Hale County), Gallion — Oak Grove School
Tuskegee educator Booker T. Washington and Julius Rosenwald, Sears, Roebuck & Company president, initiated one of the most ambitiuous school building programs for African Americans in the United States. The Oak Grove School is one example of the . . . — Map (db m83753) HM
Alabama (Henry County), Newville — Newville High School / Newville Rosenwald School
Side 1 Newville High School The first known school in Newville was at Center Church in 1881. When Grange Hall was built in 1891, church services and school were held on the first floor. In 1913, Grange Hall was torn down and the . . . — Map (db m71812) HM
Alabama (Henry County), Newville — Newville, Alabama / Newville Pioneers
Side 1 Newville, Alabama James Madison Wells founded a village called Wells circa 1882. When Abbeville Southern Railroad laid tracks through the town in 1893, its name was changed to Wells Station. The post office was built in . . . — Map (db m71810) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Loachapoka — First Rosenwald School
Side 1 On this site once stood the first of over 5,300 Rosenwald schools for black children built between 1913 and 1932. The schools were started in a collaboration between Julius Rosenwald, CEO of Sears, Roebuck, and Company and Booker . . . — Map (db m73539) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Notasulga — Shiloh-Rosenwald School / Shiloh Missionary Baptist Church
Side 1 Shiloh-Rosenwald School The Shiloh-Rosenwald School, located in Notasulga, was a collaboration between educator Booker T. Washington and Julius Rosenwald, CEO of Sears. Rosenwald schools are landmarks in the history of . . . — Map (db m95109) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Normal — Councill Training School(1919 - 1970)
Side A In 1919, the first building was erected nearby with funds provided locally and supplemented with a Julius Rosenwald Foundation grant. Named for William H. Councill, Alabama A&M University founder, the three-room structure was built . . . — Map (db m39761) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Hope Hull — Tankersley Rosenwald SchoolErected in 1923
This building was one of fourteen schools constructed in Montgomery County with funding assistance from the Julius Rosenwald Fund. Between 1912-32, Julius Rosenwald, a Jewish philanthropist and CEO of Sears, Roebuck and Company teamed up with Booker . . . — Map (db m71427) HM
Florida (Jackson County), Marianna — F-506 — Gilmore Academy - Jackson County Training School1922-1970
In 1922, Robert T. Gilmore (1879-1948), born in Monticello, founded Gilmore Academy, one of Jackson County's first African-American high schools. Trustees of Marianna's African-American community purchased this three-acre site in 1907 and raised . . . — Map (db m74191) HM
Florida (Jefferson County), Monticello — F-682 — Howard Academy High School on Chestnut Street
Howard Academy High School's Building 1 opened on Chestnut Street in 1936 with one structure containing several classrooms. In 1940, a similar, second building was constructed and financed by the county, parents and The Julius Rosenwald Fund. . . . — Map (db m67656) HM
Florida (Lake County), Mount Dora — F-485 — Milner-Rosenwald AcademyBuilt in 1926
Milner-Rosenwald Academy served African-American school children from 1926 to 1962. When fire destroyed the old school in 1922, parents and community leaders, led by Mamie Lee Gilbert (1886-1976) and Lula Butler, raised money for a new one. Seed . . . — Map (db m72753) HM
Florida (Polk County), Winter Haven — F-675 — Florence Villa Training School1924-1925
The Florence Villa Training School for Negroes replaced an earlier African-American school built in 1916 on the corner of 2nd and Palmetto Street. By 1922 the first school was in disrepair and classes were held at the Colored Methodist Episcopal . . . — Map (db m93191) HM
Florida (Taylor County), Perry — F-699 — Jerkins High School
In 1853, a family of free blacks established the Spring Hill Missionary Baptist Church in what was then known as Rosehead, later Perry. The roots of African-American education in Taylor County began with this church, which remains the oldest . . . — Map (db m67600) HM
Georgia (Bartow County), Cassville — 008-52 — Noble Hill Rosenwald School
Noble Hill Rosenwald School, now known as Noble Hill-Wheeler Memorial Center, built in 1923 as the first standard school for Black children in Bartow County School System. The school closed in 1955 when all schools for Black Children in Bartow . . . — Map (db m13456) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 25-40 — Pin Point Community
Pin Point was settled in 1896 by former slaves from Ossabaw, Green, and Skidaway Islands. Sweetfield of Eden Baptist Church, founded in Pin Point in 1897, was a successor to Ossabaw’s Hinder Me Not Church and also served as the community's school . . . — Map (db m54183) HM
Georgia (Decatur County), Bainbridge — Hutto School
Side 1: The first school for former slaves in this county was established in 1869 and was known as the Whittier School and Tabernacle for Colored Children. It was on Shotwell Street and had grades 1-7. The name soon changed to Whittier . . . — Map (db m40945) HM
Georgia (Macon County), Oglethorpe — 096-3 — Lumpkin Academy
Horace T. Lumpkin (1857-1930) A Virginia native and son of exslaves, is credited with introducing formal education to black children in Macon County. Lumpkin, who was educated at Knoxville College, Tennessee and Atlanta University, founded the . . . — Map (db m27258) HM
Georgia (Muscogee County), Columbus — Radcliff School
In the fall of 1914 Radcliff School was organized in Allen Temple A.M.E. Church. At that time it was known as Wynnton Hill School. J. L. Bond was principal and the first head teacher was Mrs. S. A. Cody. When the building burned, the school was . . . — Map (db m22409) HM
Georgia (Muscogee County), Columbus — William H. Spencer High School
On this site, on November 29, 1930, the first local high school for colored students opened. The school was the result of a grant from the Rosenwald Foundation and was named in honor of William Henry Spencer, Supervisor of the Colored Schools in . . . — Map (db m58783) HM
Georgia (Paulding County), Hiram — 110-1 — The Hiram Rosenwald School
In 1912 Julius Rosenwald, President of Sears, Roebuck and Company, established the Rosenwald Fund to assist in community school construction of public schools for African-American students in the South. The Julius Rosenwald Fund assisted local . . . — Map (db m13466) HM
Kentucky (Hopkins County), Madisonville — 2377 — Rosenwald High School / Professor C. L. Timberlake
Rosenwald High School Here, Professor C. L. Timberlake established first high school in city for blacks. Rosenwald High School opened in 1932; operated until 1966. Rosenwald Foundation funded its construction. In 1936, basketball team . . . — Map (db m88950) HM
Kentucky (Marion County), Lebanon — 2048 — Rosenwald School
This Rosenwald School (1931-1961) is one of 158 schools built in Ky., 1917-1932. The building projects were initiated by the African American community and funded with aid of Julius Rosenwald and philanthropists to provide quality education to the . . . — Map (db m99429) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Glen Burnie — Marley Neck School
This historic school is a significant example of a Rosenwald School design and represents a landmark era in black education in the period before federal support of local education. The school was built in 1927 with funds raised by the local . . . — Map (db m9035) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Harmans — Harmans
An African American community and church were established nearby in the mid 19th century. In 1918 the Benevolent Sons and Daughters of Abraham, a mutual aid society, purchased and donated land on this site for a two-room school which was built . . . — Map (db m49729) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Pasadena — Freetown
Established in the mid 19th century on land owned by Capt. James Spencer, who served in the Union Army during the Civil War, Freetown illustrates the principles of self-sufficiency and cooperation typical of African American communities. The first . . . — Map (db m13567) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Pumphrey — Pumphrey Elementary School
Completed in 1923 on Berlin Avenue under the Rosenwald Program, which was instrumental in the education of African Americans in the early 20th century. The fund provided matching grants for more than 5,000 schools, shops, and teachers' residences . . . — Map (db m79728) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Colesville — Smithville Colored SchoolA Julius Rosenwald School
Built in 1927, the Smithfield Colored School was one of sixteen schools for African Americans constructed in the county with financial assistance from the Julian Rosenwald Fund. The Smithville school was built near Colesville, Maryland to provide . . . — Map (db m55300) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — 12 & 14 — Rockville’s First Colored SchoolsRockville's African American Heritage Walking Tour
Rockville's First Colored School 246 North Washington Street In March, 1867, twenty African Americans pledged to support a school by taking responsibility for money "as may be necessary to pay the board and washing of the teacher and . . . — Map (db m43556) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Chapel Hill — Chapel Hill
A post-Civil War African American farming community established on former plantation land. Named for the Digges family chapel. A Freedman's Bureau School established in 1868 and a meetinghouse of ca. 1880 became focal points of the community. A . . . — Map (db m79942) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), District Heights — Ridgeley Rosenwald School
The Ridgeley School was opened in 1927 as Colored School No.1 in Election District 13 in the African American community known as Ridgeley*. Named for a prominent local African American family, the Ridgeley School along with a church and society . . . — Map (db m91958) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Landover — Highland Park High School
Built in 1928, Highland Park was the second high school for African Americans in Prince George's County, Maryland. It was one of 23 "Rosenwald Schools" constructed in Prince George’s County with financial assistance from the Julius Rosenwald Fund, . . . — Map (db m40025) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Landover — Ridgley
Farming community established after the Civil War by former slaves from local tobacco plantations. Ridgley Methodist Episcopal Church was first built in the late 1870s on land deeded to trustees Rev. Lewis Ridgley, Joseph Beal, and Richard . . . — Map (db m89553) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Lanham — Lincoln
A suburb established by progressive African Americans who worked in the District of Columbia. Platted in 1908 along a stop of the WB&A Electric Railway. Developed by Lawyer Educator, Civil Servant and activist Thomas Junius Calloway. Vice President . . . — Map (db m72043) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Rossville Community, Muirkirk District — Abraham Hall: A Historic African American Benevolent Lodge
Abraham Hall was built in 1889 as a lodge for the Benevolent Sons and Daughters of Abraham. Chartered in 1877, this fraternal organization provided emergency financial assistance and death benefits to its members: a form of insurance not otherwise . . . — Map (db m66418) HM
Maryland (Wicomico County), San Domingo — San Domingo School
Built in 1919 under the Rosenwald School building program, a major effort to improve public education for African Americans in the early 20th century south. First administered by Tuskegee Institute under Booker T. Washington, the program combined . . . — Map (db m39834) HM
Maryland (Wicomico County), San Domingo — San Domingo School Community & Cultural Center
The first school at this location, built around 1875, was a single story, one-room plan frame building that served the Sharptown District for over forty years. Built in 1919 to replace the first school, this two-story, hip roofed frame structure was . . . — Map (db m39835) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — (Former) Atkins High School
Named for prominent local African-American education pioneer, Dr. Simon Green Atkins, Atkins High School was designed by Harold Macklin in the Classical Revival style and constructed 1930-1931. Atkins was the first school in Winston-Salem built as a . . . — Map (db m83275) HM
North Carolina (Gates County), Gatesville — Reid's Grove School
Still on its original site, the Reid's Grove School educated African American students in the Gatesville area. Completed on November 5, 1927 and closed in 1951, it was one of seven schools in Gates County (and one of over 800 in North Carolina) . . . — Map (db m79796) HM
North Carolina (Washington County), Creswell — Cherry Colored Schoolcirca 1920's — (A Rosenwald School)
Conceived in the 1900's by black educator Booker T. Washington and his Tuskegee staff. The Rosenwald program represented a massive effort to improve black rural schooling in the South through public-private partnership. Rosenwald schools were also . . . — Map (db m57043) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Pendleton — 4-38 — "The Hundreds"
Front: This area was a hub of African-American life from the late-19th to mid-20th centuries. Anderson County Training School, built ca. 1922 as a Rosenwald school, closed in 1954 under the equalization program for black and white schools. . . . — Map (db m54824) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Moncks Corner — 8-66 — Berkeley Training High School
(Front text) Berkeley Training High School, located here from 1955 to 1970, replaced a four-room wood school 1 mi. S at Main St. and Old U.S. Hwy. 52. That school, built in 1918-1920 at a cost of $6,700, had been partially funded by the . . . — Map (db m41606) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Moncks Corner — 8-39 — Dixie Training School / Berkeley Training High School
[Front] Berkeley Training High School, first called Dixie Training School, stood here from 1920 until the 1980s. The first public school for blacks in Moncks Corner was founded in 1880. It held classes in local churches until its first . . . — Map (db m29133) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), St. Stephen — 8-51 — St. Stephen Colored School / St. Stephen High School
(Marker Front)St. Stephen Colored School St. Stephen Colored School, the first public African American school in St. Stephen, was built here in 1924-25. A three-room frame building, it was one of almost 500 schools in S.C. funded in part . . . — Map (db m29334) HM
South Carolina (Dillon County), Latta — 17-15 — Pine Hill A.M.E. Church / Pine Hill Rosenwald School
Pine Hill A.M.E. Church This church, founded in 1876, was in Marion County before Dillon County was created in 1910. At first on S.C. Hwy. 34, the church acquired this site in 1891 when Alfred Franklin Page (1863-1929) and his wife Laura . . . — Map (db m48927) HM
South Carolina (Florence County), Mars Bluff — 21-14 — Mt. Zion Rosenwald School
[Front] This school, built in 1925, was the first public school for African American students in the Mars Bluff community. One of more than 5000 schools in the South funded in part by the Julius Rosenwald Foundation, it features a standard . . . — Map (db m37335) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Fountain Inn — 23-45 — Fountain Inn Rosenwald School
[Front]: The Fountain Inn Rosenwald School, also known as the Fountain Inn Colored School, was a complex of several buildings built here from 1928 to 1942. The first school, a frame seven-room elementary school for grades 1-7, was a . . . — Map (db m50524) HM
South Carolina (Horry County), Loris — 26-20 — Loris Training School
[Marker Front] Loris Training School, which stood here from 1928 to 1955, was the first school for black students in Loris and other nearby communities. Built at a cost of $4,700, it was one of more than 5000 schools in the South funded in . . . — Map (db m26754) HM
South Carolina (Horry County), Murrells Inlet — 26-15 — St. James Rosenwald School
Marker Front:
St. James Rosenwald School, which stood here from the late 1920s until the early 1970s, was one of several African-American schools in Horry County funded in part by the Julius Rosenwald Foundation. Rev. Smart Small, Sr. . . . — Map (db m27331) HM
South Carolina (Horry County), Myrtle Beach — 26 17 — Myrtle Beach Colored School
Marker Front: Myrtle Beach Colored School stood here from the early 1930s to 2001. The first public school for African-American students in Myrtle Beach, it was a six-room frame building similar to the schools funded in part by the Julius . . . — Map (db m23510) HM
South Carolina (Laurens County), Gray Court — 30-10 — Laurens County Training School
[Front]: The Laurens County Training School, located here 1924-1954, had its origins in Gray Court School, a one-room school founded ca. 1890 on the grounds of Pleasant View Baptist Church. The training school, opened in 1924 in a . . . — Map (db m22904) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Pomaria — 36-20 — Hope Rosenwald School
(Front text) This school, built in 1925-26 at a cost of $2,900, was one of more than 500 rural African-American schools in S.C. funded in part by the Julius Rosenwald Foundation between 1917 and 1932. The original two-acre lot for the . . . — Map (db m42139) HM
South Carolina (Oconee County), Westminster — 37-20 — Retreat Rosenwald School
[Front]: This school, often called Retreat Colored School, was built in 1923 for the African-American students in and near Westminster. A two-room, two-teacher, elementary school, it was built by local builder William Walker Bearden of . . . — Map (db m53235) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Bowman — 38-34 — Bowman Rosenwald School
(Front):

Bowman Rosenwald School, which stood here from 1927 to 1952, was one of several African-American schools in Orangeburg County funded in part by the Julius Rosenwald Foundation. The school, built in 1926-27 at a cost of $6,000, was a . . . — Map (db m43525) HM

South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Neeses — 38 37 — Rocky Swamp Rosenwald School
(front) This is the site of the Rocky Swamp Rosenwald School, a frame three-room school built here in 1920-21 for African-American students in Neeses and vicinity. An elementary school with two to three teachers in grades 1-9, it was one of . . . — Map (db m103398) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Orangeburg — 38-31 — Great Branch School and Teacherage
(Front text) The Great Branch School, which stood here from 1918 to the early 1960s, was one of the first Rosenwald schools in S.C. A two-room frame school built in 1917-18, it was typical of the rural black schools funded in part by the . . . — Map (db m80046) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-172 — Pine Grove Rosenwald School
(Front text) This school, built in 1923 at a cost of $2,500, is one of 500 African-American schools in S.C. funded in part by the Julius Rosenwald Foundation from 1917 to 1932. It is a two-room school typical of smaller Rosenwald . . . — Map (db m46343) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Irmo — 40-113 — Richlex School Site
Julius Rosenwald, Chicago philanthropist and president of Sears, Roebuck & Co., (1910-1925), helped fund this black school, built 1918. The original two-room structure was named in Rosenwald's honor and the school's curriculum eventually included . . . — Map (db m42157) HM
South Carolina (Saluda County), Ridge Spring — 41-13 — Ridge Hill School / Faith Cabin Library
Ridge Hill School This school, built in 1934, replaced the Ridge Hill Rosenwald School, a six-classroom frame school built in 1923-24. That school was funded in part by the Julius Rosenwald Foundation, building more than 500 African-American . . . — Map (db m41548) HM
Tennessee (Gibson County), Milan — Gibson County Training School
The historic Training school for Negroes was constructed in 1926 with $2,500 required donations from the Milan Negro citizens, $16,000 of public school funds, and $1,500 from the Julius Rosenwald Fund. Tuskegee Institute Principal Booker T. . . . — Map (db m68484) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 146 — Manassas High School / The Cora P. Taylor Auditorium
Manassas High School Manassas High School was established by Spencer Johnson and others in 1899 on the west side of Manassas Street. Originally a two-room framed structure in 1900, more rooms were added between 1902 and 1904. In 1918, a . . . — Map (db m87974) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Kingsport — 1A 143 — Douglass High School1928-1966
(Side One) The only school for African Americans in Kingsport began in 1913 as the Oklahoma Grove School near downtown. With Rosenwald and community funds, the first Douglass School building was constructed in 1928. A new structure was . . . — Map (db m76645) HM
Texas (Brazoria County), West Columbia — 13949 — Columbia Rosenwald School
A grant from the Rosenwald Foundation of Chicago led to the establishment of a local school for African American students. The foundation represented a collaboration between Julius Rosenwald, President of Sears, Roebuck, and Company, and the noted . . . — Map (db m83276) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — 17060 — Moorland YMCA Building
In 1928, the Young Men's Christian Association (YMCA) of Dallas recognized a growing need for expanded facilities across the city. In the African American neighborhood of North Dallas, citizens raised $75,000 ($25,000 more than their goal) in . . . — Map (db m81308) HM
Texas (Fort Bend County), Kendleton — 9057 — Powell Point School
William E. Kendall, an Anglo lawyer from Richmond, Texas, subdivided his plantation here into 100-acre farm tracts in 1869. He sold the land exclusively to Freedmen and by the 1880s a distinctly African American community named Kendleton had . . . — Map (db m4971) HM
Texas (Houston County), Kennard — 11241 — Former Rosenwald School(Now "The Little Red Schoolhouse")
A symbol of Black America's pride in education, plus crusade of Julius Rosenwald (1862-1932), a Chicagoan who in 1913 began to fund school buildings for Negroes. By 1920, when this one-teacher structure was built at Ratcliff (4 miles east), . . . — Map (db m29552) HM
Texas (Travis County), Manor — 12587 — Union Lee Baptist Church
According to oral tradition, this congregation began meeting together for outdoor worship services in 1874. In 1884, Leonard Eck donated land, the B.J. Lee family gave a building, and the church was formally organized with the Rev. Anthony Winn as . . . — Map (db m26696) HM
Virginia (Bath County), Millboro — Q-36 — T. C. Walker School
T.C. Walker School, which opened in 1930, was named for Thomas Calhoun Walker a former slave from Gloucester County who became the first African American attorney in Virginia. It cost $4,600, and was underwritten with $500 from the Julius Rosenwald . . . — Map (db m69471) HM
Virginia (Bath County), Thomastown — Q-37 — Union Hurst School
Union Hurst, a school for African Americans, was built near here on Pine Hurst Heights Road between 1924 and 1925. The school was built with the assistance of the Julius Rosenwald Fund, a program that helped build some 5,000 schools for African . . . — Map (db m70245) HM
Virginia (Buckingham County), Dillwyn — F 62 — Buckingham Training School
One mile southeast stood Buckingham Training School, the first high school in the county for African American students. In 1919 the Rev. Stephen J. Ellis organized the County-Wide League for School Improvement to persuade the Buckingham County . . . — Map (db m29157) HM
Virginia (Charles City County), Charles City — Dedicated To LearningRuthville High School
Schools were precious to a community denied education for centuries. Following the Civil War one and two-room schools for "colored" children were established around the county. It was here in Ruthville, however, that a commitment to learning first . . . — Map (db m26335) HM
Virginia (Charles City County), Charles City — Wryanoke & Parrish HillCharles City County, Virginia
The Weanoc Indians gave this area its name. The Minge family settled much of the Weyanoke peninsula during the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. Landmarks have included Weyanoke Parish Church, Tyler’s Mill, a steamboat landing, a post office at . . . — Map (db m59618) HM
Virginia (Charlotte County), Red Oak — 31 — Salem SchoolRed Oak, Virginia — Charlotte County
After the Civil War, in the Red Oak area of Charlotte County, many freed slaves were welcomed to worship at Antioch Baptist Church, a traditionally white church. The Antioch congregation helped raise money to build Salem Baptist Church in 1865, . . . — Map (db m30999) HM
Virginia (Cumberland County), Cartersville — 7 — Rosenwald School at CartersvilleCartersville, Virginia — Cumberland County
Julius Rosenwald, a former president of Sears, Roebuck & Co., continued the efforts made by numerous philanthropists to bring education to African Americans in the South. During the early 1900s, funding for schools was scarce; the South had half . . . — Map (db m21159) HM
Virginia, Fairfax — Fairfax Rosenwald School
The Fairfax Rosenwald School or “Fairfax Colored School” was constructed in 1925–26 on this site. It replaced an earlier African-American school on Main Street east of the Fairfax Cemetery. In 1917, Julius Rosenwald, president of . . . — Map (db m29482) HM
Virginia (Gloucester County), Gloucester — NW 21 — Gloucester Training School
Built on this site in 1921 the Gloucester Training School became the first public high school for African Americans in Gloucester County. Thomas Calhoun Walker, Jr. and others constructed a wooden building with gifts from the Rosenwald Fund and . . . — Map (db m30114) HM
Virginia (Gloucester County), Hayes — Woodville School
Woodville School is an important monument to Gloucester County and the African American community who strove to ensure quality education for their children in the early 20th century. Julius Rosenwald, president of Sears, Roebuck and Company, aided . . . — Map (db m30122) HM
Virginia (Goochland County), Goochland — SA 12 — Second Union School
Second Union School, which operated until 1959 is the oldest-surviving of the 10 Rosenwald schools built in Goochland County. The African American community and Goochland County contributed funds to the building. Constructed in 1918, the building is . . . — Map (db m31607) HM
Virginia (Henrico County), Henrico — HC-21 — Chatsworth School
Chatsworth School was built circa 1915 as a one-room schoolhouse for the black children of the Antioch Community. Chatsworth was one of approximately twenty black schools in Henrico County supervised by the visionary educator, Virginia E. Randolph. . . . — Map (db m25489) HM
Virginia (King William County), King William — O 18-a — King William Training School
King William Training School was erected here in 1922-23 on the site of the King William Academy (1903-22). The Rosenwald Foundation, which built more than 5,300 black schools in the South, the African American community, and the county funded the . . . — Map (db m47168) HM
Virginia (Northampton County), Cape Charles — WY 73 — Cape Charles Colored School
Constructed in 1928, this school opened about 1930 for African American children in Cape Charles during legalized segregation. The building was constructed with contributions from the local African American community, the State Literary Fund, . . . — Map (db m51004) HM
Virginia (Northumberland County), Reedville — O-61 — Julius Rosenwald High School
Originally known as Northumberland County Training School, this institution opened in 1917, under principal John M. Ellison. Local African Americans raised more than $7,000 to build the school and received additional funding from the Rosenwald Fund. . . . — Map (db m22954) HM
Virginia, Suffolk — K 332 — East Suffolk School Complex
Between 1926 and 1927, African Americans raised $3,300 toward the East Suffolk School, which opened with T.J. Johnson as principal. In addition to public money, the Julius Rosenwald Fund also provided $1,500 to assist the effort. Rosenwald, . . . — Map (db m76806) HM
Virginia, Suffolk — K 271 — Florence Graded School
Florence Graded School was named for Florence Bowser, a noted educator who was instrumental in having the school constructed. It was built in 1920 with state and local funds and a grant from the Julius Rosenwald Fund which had been created in 1922 . . . — Map (db m39804) HM
Virginia, Suffolk — K 333 — Huntersville Rosenwald School
The Huntersville School was built in 1930-31 as a Rosenwald School. The Julius Rosenwald fund provided $1,000 toward the construction, with contributions from African Americans and the local government provided the rest of its $7,000 cost. . . . — Map (db m98267) HM
Virginia, Suffolk — U-128 — Nansemond County Training School
Two miles south stood the Nansemond County training School, he first high school in the county for African American students. It was constructed in 1924 with $5,000 contributed by African American families, $11,500 in public money, and $1,500 from . . . — Map (db m22945) HM
Virginia, Waynesboro — Q 2 — Port Republic Road Historic District
This is Waynesboro's oldest intact neighborhood. It coalesced as a community about 1870, just after the Civil War, when formerly enslaved individuals moved here to work in nearby industries and on railroads. The African American residents . . . — Map (db m40786) HM

89 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement