Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Arkansas Centennial Commission Historical Markers

143 cast-iron markers placed across Arkansas in partnership with the Arkansas History Commission during the state's 1936 centennial commemorating significant people, places, and events during Arkansas's first 100 years.
 
Former location of the Ashley County Courthouse. image, Touch for more information
By Mark Hilton, August 26, 2017
Former location of the Ashley County Courthouse.
Arkansas (Ashley County), Hamburg — F-18 — Ashley County Court House
The first court house in Ashley County was erected on this site in 1849. The county having been created the year before. — Map (db m107740) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Bentonville — A-1 — Benton County First Court House
The first court house in Benton County, built of hewed logs was erected on this site (at Bentonville) in 1837, the year after the county was created. It was named for Thomas H Benton. — Map (db m19880) HM
Arkansas (Bradley County), Warren — F-17 — Bradley County Court House
The first temporary court house in Bradley County was erected on this site in 1842, two years after the creation of the county, and continued in use until 1858, when a court house built of brick was erected. — Map (db m121054) HM
Arkansas (Chicot County), Lake Village — G-8 — Chicot County County Seat
The county seat of Chicot County was located at Columbia in 1823, where it remained until 1855. The county took its name from Point Chicot, on the Mississippi. — Map (db m89773) HM
Arkansas (Cleveland County), New Edinburg — E-27 — Cleveland County Battle of Mark's Mill
The Battle of Mark's Mill, fought here on April 25, 1864, was a complete Confederate victory. General James F. Fagan's Confederate cavalry having surprised and captured a Union army of 2,000 men and 240 wagon loads of supplies. General Powell . . . — Map (db m121283) HM
Arkansas (Columbia County), Calhoun — C-38 — Columbia County Calhoun Pioneer Settlement
One of the very oldest settlements of this county. Here in 1840–1850 settled the Bakers, Barnetts, Booths, Couches, Deeses, Dixons, Garretts, McDonalds, McWilliams, and other pioneer families Near this point Harvey Crowley Couch, Arkansas . . . — Map (db m121240) HM
Arkansas (Columbia County), Lamartine — C-27 — Columbia County Lamartine Pioneer Settlement
One of the oldest settlements in Columbia County. Here Colonel John Dockery had his plantation and home. Here T.P. Dockery, who became a general in the War Between the States, was born and reared. The Caddo Indian Trail from Camden on the Ouachita . . . — Map (db m121136) HM
Arkansas (Craighead County), Jonesboro — H-12 — Craighead County Court House
The site of Jonesboro was laid off as the county seat of Craighead County in 1859, and there was erected soon afterwards the first court house in the county. — Map (db m116609) HM
Arkansas (Crawford County), Van Buren — A-23 — Albert Pike School House Crawford County 1836 – 1936
In this small log building Albert Pike noted lawyer, poet and mason taught school in 1832. He later went to Little Rock to become editor of the Advocate. — Map (db m96857) HM
Arkansas (Drew County), Monticello — F-17 — Drew County County Seat
Drew County, named for Governor Thomas S. Drew, was organized in 1845 and Monticello was laid out in 1849 as the county seat. Many pioneer families whose sons and daughters became prominent in the affairs of State and Nation lived here. — Map (db m85085) HM
Arkansas (Franklin County), Ozark — B-13 — Franklin County Court House
Ozark was designated as the county seat of Franklin County in 1837, and the first court house in the county was erected on this site in 1838. — Map (db m120001) HM
Arkansas (Independence County), Batesville — F-32 — Arkansas Methodist Conference Independence County
The Arkansas conference of the Methodist Church, created 1836, composing Arkansas and parts of Louisiana and Indian Territory, held its first session November 2, 1836 in Batesville at corner of Main and Broad Streets. Bishop Thomas Morris presided. . . . — Map (db m70559) HM
Arkansas (Independence County), Batesville — F-12 — Independence County First County Court House
The town of Batesville was selected as the county seat and the first county court house built in 1821, a year after the county was organized. — Map (db m66720) HM
Arkansas (Jackson County), Newport — G-3 — Jackson County First Court House
The first court house in Jackson County, created in 1832, was located at Litchfield, where it remained until 1839, when it was moved to Elizabeth. In 1852 Augusta (now Woodruff County) was made the county seat and two years later it was moved to . . . — Map (db m116624) HM
Arkansas (Jefferson County), Pine Bluff — F-6 — Jefferson County First Court House
The first court house in Jefferson County created in 1829 and named for President Thomas Jefferson was erected on this site at (Pine Bluff) in 1833. Meanwhile, sessions of the county court had been held first at the house of Joseph Bonne and second . . . — Map (db m30580) HM
Arkansas (Johnson County), Clarksville — C-23 — Johnson County First Anthracite Coal
The first anthracite coal was mined near here on the land of E.B. Alston by a Mr. Walker in 1840. Sample of coal were taken to Little Rock and examined by William E. Woodruff, who pronounced it superior to that found in Pennsylvania. Mr. Walker went . . . — Map (db m96638) HM
Arkansas (Lee County), Marianna — H-5 — Lee County
The site of Marianna was acquired through a deed from Mary Ann Harland and the heirs of her first husband, Daniel Martin. The town was named in her memory. She was born in Kentucky May 6, 1802: died October 25, 1857. The first court house in Lee . . . — Map (db m116135) HM
Arkansas (Little River County), Ashdown — B-7 — Little River County County Seat
Rocky Comfort, made the County Seat of Little River County in 1868, continued as such until 1880, when it was moved to Richmond and from there the Seat of Justice was moved to Ashdown. — Map (db m121243) HM
Arkansas (Little River County), Ashdown — B-27 — Little River County Home of Governor Jeff Davis
Birthplace of the twentieth Governor of Arkansas, one of the state's most colorful personalities. — Map (db m121244) HM
Arkansas (Lonoke County), Lonoke — F 25 — Senator Joe T Robinson Lonoke County
Senator Joseph Taylor Robinson, Arkansas' outstanding statesman was born six miles northwest of this place in 1872. He lived in Lonoke and practiced law; was elected to Congress and served ten years; moved to Little Rock in 1912; served as Governor . . . — Map (db m65713) HM
Arkansas (Mississippi County), Osceola — J-2 — Mississippi County Court House
The county seat of Mississippi County, created in 1833, was located at Osceola in 1836. Since about 1900 the county has maintained another court house at Blytheville for the northern district. The county was named for the great river which flows . . . — Map (db m36489) HM
Arkansas (Phillips County), Helena — I-15 — Phillips County Court House

The First County Seat of Phillips county was ordered in the Act of 1820 which created the county, to be located in the Town of Monticello, which place has since been identified as the original name of the present Town of Helena. — Map (db m51918) HM

Arkansas (Pike County), Murfreesboro — B-16 — Pike County Court House
The first court house in Pike County, built of logs, was erected on the site of the town of Murfreesboro, which was laid out as a site for the county seat in 1833. — Map (db m121284) HM
Arkansas (Pike County), Murfreesboro — B-26 — Pike County Diamond Mines
Two and a half miles southeast of this point is the only locality in North America where diamonds have been found in the rock in which they were formed. They have been found principally in one igneous pipe which, with three small pipes, aggregates . . . — Map (db m121290) HM
Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — A-33 — Sebastian County California Gold Seekers

The emigrant train of Forty-Niners, 5,000 strong, set out from Fort Smith in April, 1849, with an escort of United States [Army] Regulars under the command of Captain R. B. Marcy. — Map (db m92353) HM

Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — A-4 — Sebastian County Seat of Justice

The permanent seat of justice in Sebastian County, created in 1851 was located on a site to which was given the name of Greenwood. In 1861 another court house was erected at Ft. Smith and since then the county has maintained two seats of . . . — Map (db m92349) HM

Arkansas (Sevier County), De Queen — A-6 — Sevier County Seat of Justice
In 1829 the year after the creation of the County of Sevier, the permanent seat of justice for the county was located at Paraclifta on Cossatot River about five miles from the southern boundary of the county where it remained until 1871, when it was . . . — Map (db m121280) HM
Arkansas (Sharp County), Evening Shade — F-11 — Sharp County Court House
The first court house in Sharp County was erected at Evening Shade in 1868. About 1890 another court house was built at Hardy, in the Northern end of the county, and since then the county has maintained two seats of justice. — Map (db m59179) HM
Arkansas (Sharp County), Hardy — F-21 — Sharp County Court House
The first court house in Sharp County was erected at Evening Shade in 1868. About 1890 another court house was built at Hardy in the northern end of the county and since then the county has maintained two seats of justice. — Map (db m65507) HM
Arkansas (Union County), El Dorado — D-38 — Union County Second Courthouse
This marks the site of the second court house built in Union County. Completed May 1st, 1848. The spot was originally a pond where ducks gathered in season. Emigrants in search of home sites frequently camped alongs its banks. It was filled in under . . . — Map (db m121292) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Cane Hill — A-22 — Washington County Cane Hill College
Cane Hill College, the first collegiate institution of learning established in Arkansas was founded here by Cumberland Presbyterians on October 28, 1834. The following persons were named by the founders as the board of trustees: Col. John . . . — Map (db m66703) HM
Arkansas (White County), Searcy — F-13 — White County Court House
In 1837, two years after the creation of White County, the site of the town of Searcy was laid off as the permanent seat of justice of the county. — Map (db m116701) HM
Arkansas (Woodruff County), Augusta — G-13 — Woodruff County Presbyterian Church
Woodrow Wilson as a youth worshiped in this church while his brother-in-law, Rev. A.R. Kennedy, was pastor. — Map (db m116637) HM

33 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement