Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

National Historic Landmarks Historical Markers

"Nationally significant historic places designated by the Secretary of the Interior because they possess exceptional value or quality in illustrating or interpreting the heritage of the United States. Today, fewer than 2,500 historic places bear this national distinction."776 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 576
 
National Register of Historic Places Plaque image, Touch for more information
By Sandra Hughes, December 20, 2009
National Register of Historic Places Plaque
Alabama (Colbert County), Tuscumbia — Ivy GreenBirthplace of Helen Keller
The Family Home of Captain Arthur M. & Kate Adams Keller was build 1820, being the second house erected in Tuscumbia. Here on June 27, 1880 was born America's First Lady of Courage Helen Adams Keller — Map (db m29089) HM
Alabama (Dallas County), Selma — Edmund Pettus BridgeNational Historic Landmark
Edmund Pettus Bridge has been designated a National Historic Landmark This site possesses national significance for its association with "Bloody Sunday," a seminal event in the Civil Rights Movement. Here, on March 7, 1965, . . . — Map (db m82037) HM
Alabama (Dallas County), Selma — I Had A DreamDr. Martin L. King Jr.
The demonstration that led to the most important advance in civil rights for millions of Black Americans began here March 21, 1965. It was the 50-mile march from Selma to Montgomery, Alabama, the State Capital. Defying threats of death, Dr. . . . — Map (db m83578) HM
Alabama (Elmore County), Wetumpka — Here Stood Fort Toulouse
Here stood Fort Toulouse A defense against the Indians Built by Bienville 1714 The Alabama Society of Colonial Dames preserves the memory of faithful service 1912 — Map (db m69567) HM
Alabama (Hale County), Moundville — Moundville
Site of a prehistoric Native American political and ceremonial center from about A. D. 1100-1500 that, at its height in the 13th century, was America’s largest community north of Mexico. Between 1,000 and 3,000 people lived in this town fortified by . . . — Map (db m30700) HM
Alabama (Hale County), Prairieville — St. Andrew’s Church(Episcopal) — Prairieville
1834 - Organized as mission by Rev. Caleb S. Ives for settlers coming here to the Canebrake from Atlantic Seaboard 1844 - made parish of Diocese of Alabama 1851 - this site selected 1853-54 - this building erected — Map (db m38188) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Rev. Fred Shuttlesworth Bethel Baptist Church
Rev. Fred Shuttlesworth's tenure as pastor of Bethel Baptist Church (1953-1961) was marked by demonstrations, bombings and passionate sermons critical of segregation laws. His activism earned him a house bombing, frequent beatings, arrests, and . . . — Map (db m83836) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Sixteenth Street Baptist ChurchHas Been Designated a National Historic Landmark.
This property possesses National Significance in commemorating the history of the United States. In 1963 it was the staging ground for the Birmingham Campaign Civil Rights Youth Marches and the place where a bomb killed four young girls, "Martyred . . . — Map (db m63733) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Sloss Furnaces
The crossing of railroads in 1872 adjacent to this site gave rise to the industrial city of Birmingham. In 1881 Alabama railroad magnate and entrepreneur James Withers Sloss, capitalizing on the unusual coincidence of coal, iron ore and limestone in . . . — Map (db m23498) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — The Blowing Engine RoomSloss Furnaces National Historic Landmark
The blast furnace required a tremendous amount of air - about two tons for every ton of iron produced. These three rooms, known collectively as the blower building, house the equipment used to pump air to the furnaces. Workers called this blast of . . . — Map (db m43628) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — The Gas SystemSloss Furnaces National Historic Landmark
The Gas System Gas produced in the furnace as a by-product of the ironmaking process was used in the plant as fuel. A large pipe called the downcomer carried gas from the top of the furnace to the gas cleaning equipment, which removed the . . . — Map (db m43669) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Wilson Dam
Construction of Wilson Dam began in 1918 and was completed in 1924. The Dam is 137 feet high and stretches 4,541 feet across the Tennessee River. Wilson Dam is a hydroelectric facility. It has 21 generating units with a net dependable capacity . . . — Map (db m73997) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — Saturn V
Used during the Apollo Lunar Landing Program of the 1960's and 1970's, the Saturn V rocket remains the largest, most powerful rocket ever built. This full scale mock up was completed in July 1999 to serve as the focal point for the 30th . . . — Map (db m85601) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — The Church Of The Nativity, Episcopal
Side A The Church of the Nativity congregation was organized December 17, 1842 - the name chosen because of the approaching Christmas season. The Convention of the Diocese of Alabama, Protestant Episcopal Church, approved the congregation . . . — Map (db m27858) HM
Alabama (Marengo County), Demopolis — Gaineswood
Built 1842-1860 by Gen. Nathan Bryan Whitfield 1799-1868 accomplished planter of the Canebrake using imported materials and artisans Glorifying the Greek Revival Architecture by combining Doric exterior Corinthian grand ballroom Ionic parlor . . . — Map (db m38068) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Government Street Presbyterian Church
Founded, with 21 members, in 1831, by Rev. John B. Warren. This sanctuary erected 1834. Designated by the U.S. Dept. of the Interior as one of America's historic buildings. Presby-terian mother church for Southern Alabama. — Map (db m86494) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — United States Ship Alabama (BB-60) — Battleship Memorial Park
Named for the State of Alabama. 6th naval fighting ship to bear the name. Built by the Norfolk Navy Yard, Portsmouth, Virginia. Authorized by Congress 27 March 1934. Keel laid 1 February 1940 – Launched 16 February 1942. Sponsored by . . . — Map (db m74366) HM WM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Alabama State Capitol
Has been desiginated a Registered National Historic Landmark Under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935 this site possesses exceptional value in commemorating and illustrating the history of the United . . . — Map (db m74156) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Alabama's First Capitals / The Alabama State Capitol
Alabama's First Capitals On March 3, 1817, Congress designated the town of St. Stephens on the Tombigbee River north of Mobile as capital of the newly formed Alabama Territory. There in 1818, the territorial legislature named Huntsville as the . . . — Map (db m86063) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Dexter Avenue King Memorial Baptist ChurchOrganized 1877
The second black Baptist Church in Montgomery. First pastor was Rev. C. O. Boothe. Present structure built 1885. Designed by Pelham J. Anderson; built by William Watkins, a member of the congregation. Many prominent black citizens of Montgomery . . . — Map (db m25128) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — The Frank M. Johnson, Jr. Federal Building and US Courthouse
Side 1 Named in honor of Judge Frank M. Johnson, Jr. (1918-1999), who served here as U.S. District Judge from 1955-1979, as U.S. Circuit Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit July 12, 1979 - October 1, 1981, and . . . — Map (db m71266) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Train Shed 1897National Historic Landmark
. . . — Map (db m94031) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Fort Mitchell — Fort Mitchell<----- 5 miles -----
Built during Creek War 1813 by Georgia Militia on main Indian trade route to Tombigbee River. U.S. Troops stationed here until 1837. 1836 Lower Creeks corralled here for forced removal to the West. — Map (db m26069) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Site Of The Stand In The Schoolhouse Door / Foster Auditorium, 1939
Foster Auditorium is the site of the June 11, 1963, “stand in the schoolhouse door” by Governor George C. Wallace in defiance of a court order requiring The University of Alabama to admit African-American students Vivian Malone and James . . . — Map (db m37917) HM
Alaska (Skagway Borough), Skagway — Skagway and White Pass
. . . — Map (db m72791) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Bisbee — Phelps Dodge General Office Building
This building was the general office for the Bisbee operations of Phelps Dodge Corporation from 1895 to 1961. In 1971 it was given to the City of Bisbee by Phelps Dodge and was designated as a National Historic Site by the National Park . . . — Map (db m28275) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Douglas — San Bernardino Ranch
Has been designated a National Historic Landmark This site possesses National significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America 1964 — Map (db m28301) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Hereford — Lehner Mammoth Kill Site
At this location in 1952, a large bone bed was discovered containing the remains of extinct mammoth, tapir, bison and horse. Found with the bones were the weapons and tools of the Indians who had killed and butchered these animals. The bones and . . . — Map (db m43633) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Huachuca City — Fort Huachuca(1877)
Situated on the southern route to the Pacific Ocean, it brought law and order to the Arizona Territory, protecting settlers, miners, travelers and immigrants. Its troops won the surrender of Geronimo. Generals Pershing and Wood served here. As . . . — Map (db m27897) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Sierra Vista — Fort Huachuca
Est. 1877 National Historic Landmark — Map (db m28232) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Tombstone — Tombstone City HallOpened in 1882
Architect Frank Walker designed this building in Victorian style adapted to Western Territorial. It is constructed of fired red brick. It has been in continuous service since 1882 for Mayors, Marshals and official city offices. In the 1880s it . . . — Map (db m27918) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Grand Canyon National Park — 1956 Grand Canyon TWA-United Airlines Aviation Accident Site
1956 Grand Canyon TWA-United Airlines Aviation Accident Site has been designated a National Historic Landmark This tragic accident site represents a watershed moment in the modernization of America's airways leading to the . . . — Map (db m81861) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Grand Canyon National Park — El Tovar HotelBegun 1903, Completed 1905
Named for Don Pedro de Tovar, the first European to visit the Hopi Indian villages in 1540, the hotel was constructed by Hopi Indian craftsmen at a cost of $250,000 employing logs shipped by train from Oregon and native Kaibab Limestone. The El . . . — Map (db m39477) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Grand Canyon National Park — Hopi HouseMary Elizabeth Jane Colter
Hopi House opened on January 1, 1905, the first Grand Canyon work of architect Mary Colter. To complement El Tovar, their new hotel, the Fred Harvey Company commissioned Colter to design a building to display and sell Indian arts and crafts. Colter . . . — Map (db m39478) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Grand Canyon National Park — Lookout Studio
The Fred Harvey Company built Lookout Studio in 1914, in part to compete with the Kolb Brothers Studio located slightly west along the rim. Called "The Lookout," Fred Harvey's studio offered telescopic views, photographs, and books about the . . . — Map (db m39544) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Grand Canyon National Park — Santa Fe Depot
"Won't you be one of the 25,000 visitors at the Grand Canyon of Arizona this summer? It is the world's scenic wonder - nothing like it." Santa Fe Railroad brochure, 1914. The Santa Fe train whistle that was heard here on September 17, . . . — Map (db m39569) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Grand Canyon National Park — The WatchtowerMary Elizabeth Jane Colter
Build a structure that provides the widest possible view of Grand Canyon yet harmonizes with its setting: this was architect Mary Colter's goal when the Fred Harvey Company hired her in 1930 to design a gift shop and rest area here at Desert View. . . . — Map (db m39616) HM
Arizona (Navajo County), Fort Apache — Theodore Roosevelt School (118)
On January 24, 1923 an act was passed by Congress authorizing the Secretary of the Interior to establish and maintain an Indian boarding school on the site of Fort Apache. The first students were Dine' (Navajo) children brought from the Navajo . . . — Map (db m36876) HM
Arizona (Navajo County), Holbrook — Painted Desert Inn
. . . — Map (db m68772) HM
Arizona (Navajo County), Whiteriver — Kinishba Ruins
Has been designated a National Historic Landmark This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America 1964 — Map (db m36885) HM
Arizona (Navajo County), Winslow — Barringer Meteor Crater
Has Been Designated A Registered Natural Landmark Under the provisions of the Historic Sites act of August 21, 1935 this site possesses exceptional values in illustrating the natural history of the United States. U.S. . . . — Map (db m41532) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Green Valley — Titan II Intercontinental Ballistic Missile Museum
Tucson Air Museum Foundation of Pima County Titan II Intercontinental Ballistic Missile Museum Established May 8, 1986 571st SMS, 390th SMW Davis-Monthan AFB Strategic Alert July 1963 – November 1982 National . . . — Map (db m26926) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Desert Laboratory
. . . — Map (db m63672) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Mission San Xavier del Bac
Mission San Xavier del Bac was founded by the Jesuit missionary, Fr. Eusebio Kino in 1692. The present church was built under the direction of the Franciscans. Construction began in 1783 and was completed in 1797. The church continues to . . . — Map (db m83206) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Pima County CourthouseHistoric Site
The first Pima County Courthouse, a single-story adobe structure built in 1868, was replaced in 1881 by a large two-story stone and red brick victorian building which, in turn, was removed in 1928 to make way for the present structure. This . . . — Map (db m55222) HM
Arizona (Santa Cruz County), Tumacacori — Mission San José de Tumacácori
Beginning and History In January of 1691, at the request of the O'odham (Pima) Indians of the Santa Cruz River Valley, Jesuit Father Eusebio Francisco Kino established the mission of Tumacácori, dedicated to Saint Cajetan (San Cayetano). . . . — Map (db m68149) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Jerome — Jerome, ArizonaToo Strong to Die
The first mining claims were filed in 1876, within 20 years Jerome was a billion dollar copper mecca and one of the wildest, wickedest mining towns in the west. Drinking, gambling, brawls and frolicking with ladies of the night occurred . . . — Map (db m33149) HM
Arizona (Yuma County), Yuma — Yuma Crossing
From 1850 to 1877 all travelers crossing the Colorado River used the ferry. Several operated between the mouth of the Gila River and Pilot Knob. Steamboats arrived on the river in 1850 and the first railroad bridge was built in 1877. — Map (db m29015) HM
Arizona (Yuma County), Yuma — Yuma Crossing Park
Yuma Crossing, used since prehistoric times, played a significant part in the development of the West and continues to influence the affairs of the state and the nation. The Yuma City-County Bicentennial Commission in the spring of 1974 conceived . . . — Map (db m28984) HM
Arkansas (Monroe County), Holly Grove — Beginning Point of the Louisiana Purchase Survey
This stone marks the base established Nov. 10, 1815 from which the lands of the Louisiana Purchase were surveyed by the United States Engineers. The first survey from this point was made to satisfy the claims of the soldiers of the War of 1812 . . . — Map (db m6037) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — First Church of Christ, ScientistBernard Maybeck, Architect, 1910
Roof replacement, accessibility, and seismic improvements: Architectural Resources Group and Degenkolb Engineers, 2007 City of Berkeley Landmark designated 1975 Maybeck’s masterpiece is an Arts & Craft fusion of Romanesque, early Christian . . . — Map (db m55032) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — ColomaAn Artists View
”The principle street of Coloma was alive with crowds of moving men, passing and repassing, laughing, talking, and all appearing in the best of humor. It was a scene that no other country could ever imitate.” from “A . . . — Map (db m12274) HM
California (Inyo County), Independence — 850 — Manzanar
In the early part of the World War II, 110,000 persons of Japanese ancestry were interned in relocation centers by Executive Order No. 9066, issued on February 19, 1942. Manzanar, the first of ten such concentration camps, was bounded by . . . — Map (db m2971) HM
California (Kern County), Delano — The Forty Acres
Has been designated a National Historic Landmark. This property possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America. Forty Acres embodies and conveys multiple layers of national significance . . . — Map (db m54836) HM
California (Kern County), Onyx — 99 — Walker's Pass
Discovered by Joseph R. Walker, American trail-blazer who left the San Joaquin Valley through this pass in 1834. This area was traversed by topographer Edward M. Kern, after whom the Kern River was named, while accompanying the Fremont expedition of . . . — Map (db m71071) HM
California (Los Angeles County), San Pedro — S.S. Lane Victory — [Port of Los Angeles]
Panel 1: 1945: March: Lane Victory is named for the former slave, Isaac Lane, founder of Lane College, in Jackson, Tennessee. The Victory Ship was one of a class of cargo ships designed and built during World War II by the . . . — Map (db m50864) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Watts — Watts TowersNational Historic Landmark — [Watts Towers of Simon Rodia State Historic Park]
Panel 1: Watts Towers California Historical Landmark No. 993 Panel 2: Unconventional Life, Unconventional Art Simon Rodia has been referred to as a visionary and a man of great passion. A self-taught laborer from . . . — Map (db m51953) HM
California (Marin County), San Rafael — 999 — Marin County Civic Center
The Civic Center Complex was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright (1869-1959) near the end of his long career. The Administration Building was completed in 1962 and the Hall of Justice in 1970. They are the only government buildings designed by the . . . — Map (db m32748) HM
California (Mariposa County), Wawona — Wawona Hotel
After several pioneer lodging structures were destroyed by fire, Henry Washburn and John Bruce had this building, opened in April, 1879, erected. Bruce died in it in 1882, but Henry, John, Edward, and later Clarence Washburn owned and operated it . . . — Map (db m70572) HM
California (Mariposa County), Yosemite National Park — A Home for Rangers
Stephen T. Mather, the first director of the National Park Service, employed park rangers to guide tourists and protect parks from poachers. In 1920, Mather hired architect Charles Summer to construct a home for members of his newly organized ranger . . . — Map (db m65629) HM
California (Mariposa County), Yosemite National Park — LeConte Memorial LodgeSierra Club — Founded 1892
LeConte Memorial Lodge was built by the Sierra Club in 1803/04 in honor of the world-renowned scientist and charter Sierra Club member Joseph LeConte who died near here in 1901. The memorial served as Yosemite Valley's first public . . . — Map (db m65529) HM
California (Mariposa County), Yosemite National Park — The Grand Lodge
The first director of the National Park Service, Stephen T. Mather, was as at home in the High Sierra as he was in high society. To ensure Yosemite’s protection for future generations, he knew that influential people would have to care about the . . . — Map (db m65504) HM
California (Modoc County), Newell — 850-2 — Tule LakeMay 1942 - March 1946
Tule Lake was one of ten American concentration camps established during World War II to incarcerate 110,000 persons of Japanese ancestry, of whom the majority were American citizens. Behind barbed wire and guard towers without charge, trial or . . . — Map (db m10370) HM
California (Monterey County), Monterey — 1 — Custom House
Constructed in 1827 by the Mexican government to collect custom duties from foreign shipping, a principal revenue source when Monterey was the capital of Alta California, Mexico's northernmost province. Thomas O. Larkin, US consul to Alta . . . — Map (db m82186) HM
California (Monterey County), Monterey — Larkin House
. . . — Map (db m33495) HM
California (Monterey County), Monterey — Royal Presidio Chapel
The Royal Chapel of San Carlos de Borromeo, founded June 3, 1770, is the only remaining Presidio chapel in California. Madariaga Adobe * Follow Church St. to Abrego Cell Phone Tour (831) 718-9123 enter 710 — Map (db m63569) HM
California (Monterey County), Pacific Grove — Balance Lost and Found AgainAsilomar Conference Center
Decades of logging, grazing, recreation, and foot traffic brought Asilomar's dune ecosystem to the brink of extinction. When the Young Women's Christian Association (YWCA) established the Asilomar summer camp grounds in 1913, the dunes became a . . . — Map (db m63773) HM
California (Nevada County), Truckee — 134 — Donner Party
Near this spot stood the Breen cabin of the party of emigrants who started for California from Springfield, Illinois, in April 1846, under the leadership of Captain George Donner. Delays occurred and when the party reached this locality, on October . . . — Map (db m94058) HM
California (Orange County), Modjeska Canyon — 205 — Modjeska's Home
Famous as the home of Madame Modjeska, one of the world's great actresses, it was designed by Stanford White in 1888 on property called the Forest of Arden. Sold soon after her retirement, it remains a monument to the woman who contributed . . . — Map (db m50303) HM
California (Riverside County), Riverside — 761 — Mission Inn
Frank A. Miller (1857-1935) made adobe bricks for a small 12 room guest house which he opened in 1876. Over the years by successive building additions he fulfilled his dream by recreating this early California Mission style setting of a hotel. — Map (db m50994) HM
California (Sacramento County), Folsom — 633 — Original Folsom Hydroelectric Plant
In the 1850's, Horatio Gates Livermore and later his sons, Horatio P. and Charles E. pioneered the development of ditches and dams on the American River for industry and agriculture. One historic result was Folsom Power House, which began operations . . . — Map (db m706) HM
California (Sacramento County), Locke — Locke Memorial Park
In memory of the industrious Chinese pioneers of California whose strength and sacrifice helped build the transcontinental railroad, construct the levees of the Sacramento San Joaquin Delta, and develop agriculture in the Central Valley. With . . . — Map (db m18234) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — 606 — B.F. Hastings Bank BuildingWestern Terminus of the Pony Express
This structure, erected in 1852-53, was occupied during the 1850’s by the B.F. Hastings Bank, Wells Fargo and Co., Various state officials, Sacramento Valley Railroad, and the Alta Telegraph Co. during April 1860-May 1861. The Alta Telegraph Co. and . . . — Map (db m11388) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — 614 — Leland Stanford House
The house originally designed in 1857 by Seth Babson and was purchased by Leland Stanford in 1861. It served as the State Executive Office from 1861 to 1867, before the completion of the State Capital. It was later extensively remodeled and . . . — Map (db m11842) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — 812 — Old Sacramento
Founded in December 1848 by John A. Sutter, Jr., Sacramento was an outgrowth of Sutter’s Fort established by his father, Captain John A. Sutter, in 1839. State Capital since 1854, it was a major distribution point during the Gold Rush. A commercial . . . — Map (db m11486) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — Sutter's FortThis Tree Came From Kandern, Baden, Germany — The Birthplace of General John A Sutter
The Native Sons and Native Daughters of the Golden West planted it on July 19, 1939. and dedicated it September 9, 1948, on the occasion of the celebration of Admission Day and the Centenary of the founding of the modern City of Sacramento. — Map (db m11886) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — The River Lines Fleet
In the early 1920’s the California Transportation Company, the leading passenger carrier on the Sacramento and San Joaquin rivers, announced plans to build two modern passenger vessels for its Sacramento to San Francisco run. In 1927, the Delta . . . — Map (db m16507) HM
California (Sacramento County), Walnut Grove — Walnut Grove, Est. 1850/Locke, Est. 1915
Walnut Grove, Est 1850 Walnut Grove was established in 1850 by John W. Sharp and is one of the earliest settlements along the Sacramento River. Chosen because of the abundant walnut and oak forests in the area, the town quickly prospered as an . . . — Map (db m37406) HM
California (San Benito County), San Juan Bautista — Anza House
has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark under the provisions of the Historic Sites Ace of August 21, 1935 This site possesses exceptional value in commemorating or illustrating the history of the United . . . — Map (db m41010) HM
California (San Benito County), San Juan Bautista — San Juan Bautista Historic District
San Juan Bautista Historic District has been designated a National Registered Historic Landmark Under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935 This site possesses exceptional value in commemorating or illustrating the . . . — Map (db m15355) HM
California (San Diego County), Camp Pendleton — Las Flores AdobeBuilt in 1868
This 6,000-square-foot ranch complex is C-shaped, with a carriage house at one end and a two-story building at the other. It is one of only a few authentic nineteenth-century adobe ranch houses of its kind—combining both Hacienda and Monterey . . . — Map (db m81323) HM
California (San Diego County), Coronado — 844 — Hotel del Coronado
This Victorian hotel, built in 1887, is one of America’s largest wooden buildings. Few seaside resort hotels of this significant architectural style remain in America. The hotel has hosted several presidents and other national figures. — Map (db m11108) HM
California (San Diego County), Oceanside — 239 — Mission San Luís Rey de Francia
Founded June 12, 1798 by Father Lasuen, then president of the California missions, and administered by Father Peyri. Notable for its impressive architecture — a composite of Spanish, Moorish, and Mexican. — Map (db m401) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — Estudillo House
. . . — Map (db m11781) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 1031 — Ferryboat "Berkeley" — [Maritime Museum of San Diego]
The steam ferryboat "Berkeley" was the first successful west coast-built and operated ferry to be driven by a screw propeller as opposed to side-wheels. Built by the famous Union Iron Works of San Francisco in 1898, the ferry operated until 1958 as . . . — Map (db m51330) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — La Casa de Estudillo
1829   Large adobe-block townhouse buiilt by José Antonio Etudillo. Included servants' quarter, work and storage rooms, living and dining rooms, and Roman Catholic chapel. 1884   Helen Hunt Jackson's Ramona published, linking the . . . — Map (db m84725) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 52 — Mission Dam and Flume
After many attempts dated back to 1774 to provide a reliable source of water for crops and livestock for Mission San Diego de Alcala, a dam and flume system was finished between 1813 and 1816 by Indian laborers and Franciscan Missionaries to divert . . . — Map (db m51074) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 242 — Mission San Diego de Alcala
On Sunday, July 16, 1769 Fathers Junipero Serra, Juan Viscaino and Fernando Parron raised and blessed a cross to establish Alta, California’s 1st Mission. Relocated from Presidio Hill to this site in August 1774 the Mission was the mother of those . . . — Map (db m15262) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 59 — San Diego Presidio Site
Soldiers, sailors, Indians, and Franciscan missionaries from New Spain occupied the land at Presidio Hill on May 17, 1769 as a military outpost. Two months later, Fr. Junípero Serra established the first San Diego Mission on Presidio Hill. . . . — Map (db m11134) HM
California (San Diego County), Spring Valley — 626 — Bancroft Ranch House
Adobe built about 1850 by A.S. Ensworth. Home of Capt. Rufus K. Porter and family. Curved timbers brought from the "Clarissa Andrews," famed coaling hulk formerly of the Pacific Mail Steamship Co. Historian Hubert Howe Bancroft later owned this . . . — Map (db m51096) HM
California (San Diego County), Warner Springs — 311 — Warner Ranch House
In 1844, Gov. Manuel Micheltorena granted 44,322 acres to Juan Jose Warner who built this house. Gen. Kearny passed here in 1846; Mormon Battalion in 1847. First Butterfield Stage stopped at this ranch on Oct. 6, 1858 enroute from Tipton, Mo. to San . . . — Map (db m51084) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Bank of Italy(Later Bank of America)
Headquarters from 1908 to 1921 From here A.P. Giannini launched the branch system that transformed the nature of banking in California National Historic Landmark This site is of national significance in commemorating the . . . — Map (db m71998) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Crissy FieldA Place of Renewal
The land known today as Crissy Field has undergone many changes. Once a rich salt marsh and homeland of Ohlone people, it was later a landing site for Spanish and Russian explorers, a venue for the Panama-Pacific International Exposition and a . . . — Map (db m63413) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Fort Mason Historic DistrictU.S. Army Post (1864-1966)
First fortified by the Spanish in 1797, this bluff above the bay was re-armed by the U.S. Army in 1864. The post remained active through the Civil War, western Indians Wars, and conflicts abroad, beginning with the Spanish-American War in 1898. . . . — Map (db m70025) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Liberty Ships – Born in World War II1941 to 1943 — Liberty Ship SS Jeremiah O’Brien - Alive and Steaming
Visit America’s answer to Hitler’s U-Boats – one of the last 2,710 identical armed Merchant Ships built to carry “beans, bullets and black oil" to our fighting men around the world. The goal was to build them faster than the enemy could . . . — Map (db m76503) HM WM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — 79 — Presidio of San Francisco
Formally established on September 17, 1776, the San Francisco Presidio has been used as a military headquarters by Spain, Mexico, and the United States. It was a major command post during the Mexican War, Civil War, Spanish-American War, World Wars . . . — Map (db m10743) HM
California (San Luis Obispo County), San Miguel — 326 — Mission San Miguel Arcangel
Selecting this site because of the great number of Salinan Indians living hereabout. Fray Fermin Francisco de Lasuen, O.F.M., second president of the California Missions. Founded San Miguel Archangel on July 25,1797. The sixteenth in a chain of . . . — Map (db m64948) HM
California (San Luis Obispo County), San Simeon — 640 — Hearst San Simeon State Historical MonumentHearst Castle
Here, on the historic Piedra Blanca Rancho, William Randolph Hearst created La Cuesta Encantada (The Enchanted Hill), including La Casa Grande and adjacent buildings. With their rare art treasures and beautiful gardens. 1919-1947 Presented to . . . — Map (db m68492) HM
California (Santa Barbara County), Lompoc — La Purisima Mission State Historic Park
Across this bridge lies California's eleventh mission and a glimpse of life during the 1820's. The Civilian Conservation Corps restored the buildings and grounds between 1934 - 1941. We hope you enjoy your visit to the past. — Map (db m11116) HM
California (Santa Barbara County), Solvang — Mission Santa Ines
Has been designated a NATIONAL HISTORIC LANDMARK This religious complex possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America. Mission Santa Ines, founded in 1804, is one of the finest examples of a . . . — Map (db m11673) HM
California (Santa Barbara County), Vandenberg Air Force Base — Space Launch Complex 10Vandenberg Air Force Base
Space Launch Complex 10 Vandenberg Air Force Base Has been designated a National Historic Landmark This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America 1986 . . . — Map (db m81076) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — New Almaden(The New Mine) — After Almaden Mine in Spain
The first workable quicksilver mine in North America – First mine of any kind in California – First worked 1824 – Denounced November 1845. Has produced more metallic wealth than any individual gold mine in California. Its discovery . . . — Map (db m12924) HM
California (Santa Cruz County), Santa Cruz — ACE Roller Coaster LandmarkGiant Dipper
American Coaster Enthusiasts (ACE) recognizes Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk's Giant Dipper as an ACE Roller Coaster Landmark, a designation reserved for rides of historic significance. The 75-foot high wood coaster officially opened on May . . . — Map (db m62826) HM
California (Santa Cruz County), Santa Cruz — Giant DipperThrilling riders since 1924
The Giant Dipper roller coaster, with its trademark red and white structure, spectacular view of the Monterey Bay, and speedy dips and curves, keeps generations of riders coming back for more. The Giant Dipper has thrilled over 50 million . . . — Map (db m62827) HM
California (Santa Cruz County), Santa Cruz — Magical Merry-go-round
Whether you call it a merry-go-round, carousel, or whirlgig, visitors have always been enchanted with the Boardwalk’s oldest ride. At the grand opening of the “hippodrome,” as the carousel and its building were called, one hundred . . . — Map (db m62814) HM
California (Siskiyou County), Tulelake — Lower Klamath National Wildlife Refuge
Has Been Designated a Registered National Historic Landmark Under the Provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935 This Site Possesses Exceptional Value in Commemorating and Illustrating the History of the Unites . . . — Map (db m100345) HM
California (Sonoma County), Glen Ellen — 743 — Jack London Historical State Park
This is the "House of Happy Walls", built by Charmian K. London in 1919 in memory of her husband, Jack London, renowned author. Here are housed many of his works and the collection gathered in their travels throughout the world. Charmian's house, . . . — Map (db m24996) HM
California (Sonoma County), Petaluma — 18 — Vallejo's Petaluma Adobe
Petaluma Adobe served as the center for General Mariano Guadalupe Vallejo’s 66,000-acre working rancho from 1836-1846. It was once the largest privately owned adobe building in northern California; Vallejo sold the building and surrounding acres in . . . — Map (db m71981) HM
California (Sonoma County), Santa Rosa — Luther Burbank Home
Luther Burbank was born in Massachusetts on March 7, 1849 and arrived in Santa Rosa in October 1875. In 1884 he purchased four acres surrounding this site as a place for horticultural experiments. Here he lived and worked until his death on April . . . — Map (db m12590) HM
California (Tuolumne County), Columbia — 123 — Columbia<— 2 Miles
One of the best preserved of early mining towns and known as “Gem of Southern Mines”. Gold discovered through cloudburst 1850. Population grew to 6000 in six weeks. Governor Earl Warren signed bill at Columbia July 15, 1945, creating . . . — Map (db m53277) HM
California (Tuolumne County), Columbia — 123 — Columbia
Columbia, the “gem of the southern mines,” became a town of 4000 to 5000 in the 1850s, following the discovery of gold here by the Hildreth party March 27, 1850. Gold shipments, estimated at $87,000,000, declined rapidly after 1858 but . . . — Map (db m81870) HM
California (Tuolumne County), Yosemite National Park — Parsons Memorial Lodge
. . . — Map (db m65568) HM
California (Ventura County), Piru — 553 — Rancho Camulos
Rancho Camulos has been designated a National Historic Landmark This residential complex possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America Ygnacio del Valle established Rancho Camulos . . . — Map (db m51033) HM
Colorado (Conejos County), Sanford — 43 — Pike's Stockade
Near here, on the banks of the Conejos River, Zebulon M. Pike built a log stockade in early February, 1807, and for the first time raised an American flag over what is now Colorado. Pike's trek of 1806-07 was the second official United States . . . — Map (db m22701) HM
Colorado (El Paso County), Colorado Springs — Garden of the Gods Park
The beauty of Garden of the Gods Park, with its dramatic red rock formations framing Pikes Peak, serves as a magnificent eastern gateway to Colorado’s Rocky Mountains. The park’s towering red sandstone rocks have long been recognized as a landmark. . . . — Map (db m45983) HM
Colorado (El Paso County), Colorado Springs — Pike's Peak
Has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935 this site possesses exceptional value in commemorating and illustrating the history of the United States. US Department of . . . — Map (db m45816) HM
Colorado (Gilpin County), Central City — Central City
[Three panels on this marker describe the history of Central City, Colorado] [Panel 1] Heritage Tourism Central City is a hidden gem set high in the mountains above the thriving front range hustle and bustle. A trip to Central . . . — Map (db m51828) HM
Colorado (Las Animas County), Ludlow — Ludlow Tent Colony Site MemorialThe Ludlow Massacre
In Memory of the men, women and children, who lost their lives in freedom's cause at Ludlow, Colorado April 20, 1914. — Map (db m100506) HM
Colorado (Montezuma County), Cortez — Mesa Verde Administrative District
. . . — Map (db m58964) HM
Colorado (Prowers County), Granada — Amache - Granada Relocation Center
Marker No. 1: Amache During the first months of World II, the United States Government ordered over 110,000 men, women, and children of Japanese descent to leave their homes, and incarcerated them in remote, military-style camps. . . . — Map (db m62111) HM
Colorado (Prowers County), Granada — Granada Relocation Center (Amache)
Granda Relocation Center (Amache) has been designated a National Historic Landmark (A close Japanese translation:) . . . — Map (db m70747) HM
Connecticut (Litchfield County), Cornwall — First Foreign Mission School
Site of the First Foreign Mission School Which from 1817 to 1826 trained young men of many races to act as Christian Missionaries among their peoples. — Map (db m41831) HM
Connecticut (New Haven County), New Haven — New Haven Green
New Haven Green Has Been Designated A National Historic Landmark This Site Possesses National Significance Commemorating the History of the United States of America 1971 National Park Service United States Department of the . . . — Map (db m35172) HM
Connecticut (New London County), New London — Monte Cristo CottageNational Historic Landmark
Boyhood home of Eugene O’Neill, America’s most renowned playwright and setting for his masterpieces ‘Ah, Wilderness’ and ‘Long Day’s Journey Into Night”. O’Neill won the Nobel Prize in literature in 1936. This site possesses exceptional . . . — Map (db m66446) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — New Castle Court House 1732New Castle Historic District

New Castle Historic District has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935 This site possesses exception value in commemorating or illustrating . . . — Map (db m64763) HM

Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — Fort Christina National Historic Landmark
Managed by the Delaware Division of Historical & Cultural Affairs

(302)736-7400 — Map (db m92274) HM

Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-197 — Lombardy Hall
In 1682, William Penn granted 986 acres of land at this location to Valentine Hollingsworth. A portion of the tract was subsequently conveyed to the Robinson family in 1726. The present stone dwelling was erected here circa 1750. In 1785, Gunning . . . — Map (db m92148) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-8 — Old Swedes' Church
Erected by Swedish settlers 1698. — Map (db m42646) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Anacostia — Frederick Douglass National Historic Site
Also known as Cedar Hill, this site encompasses the estate owned by Frederick Douglass from 1877 until his death in 1895. In honor of Douglass’ work as an author, orator, abolitionist, statesman, and civil rights leader, this site is designated a . . . — Map (db m40846) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Anacostia — St. Elizabeths Hospital
has been designated a National Historic Landmark This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America. — Map (db m58305) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Brightwood — Army Medical Museum
Army Medical Museum has been designated a registered National Historic Landmark under the provision of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935. This site possesses exceptional value in commemorating and illustrating the history of the United . . . — Map (db m17095) WM
District of Columbia (Washington), Capitol Hill — Marine Barracks, Washington, D.C."Oldest Post of the Corps"
. . . — Map (db m10833) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Capitol Hill — United States Capitol — East Front
One of the icons of world architecture, the U.S. Capitol has been the meeting place of Congress since 1800. President George Washington laid the cornerstone on September 18, 1793. While under construction, the the building was damaged by British . . . — Map (db m40117) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Columbia Heights — A Gathering Place for Washingtonians — Meridian Hill Park, National Historic Landmark
Since Meridian Hill Park opened in 1936, Washingtonians from diverse neighborhoods surrounding the park have gathered here for performances, community events, and political protest. When tens of thousands of people flocked to Washington D.C. in . . . — Map (db m63643) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Columbia Heights — Art for the People — Meridian Hill Park, National Historic Landmark
Congress ordered sculptures installed at Meridian Hill Park long before the park's completion. So many sculptures were authorized that Horace Peaslee, the park's architect, called for a moratorium on installations. He told the Commission of the Fine . . . — Map (db m63658) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Columbia Heights — James BuchananDiplomat, Statesman, and Fifteenth President of the United States — Meridian Hill Park, National Historic Landmark
Buchanan was our only bachelor president and relied upon his orphaned niece, Harriet Lane, to act as his First Lady during his years in the White House (1857 to 1861). In her estate, Harriet Lane Johnson made a bequest to fund a memorial to her . . . — Map (db m63631) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Downtown — A Fortress of FinanceThe US Treasury Building
Declared a National Historic Landmark in 1972, the US Treasury Building is the oldest departmental building in Washington. The building serves as the headquarters of the Treasury Department. Treasury's responsibilities encompass revenue collection, . . . — Map (db m100443) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Downtown — Ashburton House
. . . — Map (db m4082) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Downtown — Carnegie Endowment for International Peace
700 Jackson Place has been designated a National Historic Landmark This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America National Park Service 1974 From 1910 to 1948 it served as the first . . . — Map (db m32879) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Downtown — Decatur House
(Upper Plaque): Decatur House Has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark Under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935 This site possesses exceptional value in commemorating and illustrating the . . . — Map (db m31101) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Downtown — Executive Office Building
Originally State, War, and Navy Departments Constructed 1871-1888 South Wing Ground broken June 1871 Completed December 1875 East Wing Ground broken July 1872 Completed April 1879 North Wing Ground broken July 1879 Completed December 1882 West . . . — Map (db m71253) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Downtown — General Lafayette and his Compatriots — Lafayette Square National Historic Landmark District
[north face:] To General Lafayette and his Compatriots 1777 - 1783 [south face:] By the Congress in commemoration of the services rendered by General Lafayette and his Compatriots during the struggle . . . — Map (db m32245) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Downtown — Renwick GalleryRegistered National Historic Landmark
. . . — Map (db m73812) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Downtown — St. John's ChurchLafayette Square — Protestant Episcopal
Every President of the United States since President James Madison has attended occasional services here. Many of them were communicants of the parish. This building was completed in 1816 from plans of Benjamin Henry Latrobe. an adjacent . . . — Map (db m39126) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Downtown — State, War, and Navy Building
Has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark Under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935 this site possesses exceptional value in commemorating or illustrating the history of the United States U.S. . . . — Map (db m71233) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Downtown — The Blair House
National Historical Marker The Blair House Purchased in 1836 by Francis P. Blair, Sr., friend of Andrew Jackson, publisher of the Washington "Globe" and the "Congressional Globe." Inherited by his son, Montgomery Blair, Attorney for Dred Scott, . . . — Map (db m23493) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Downtown — The White House
The White House is the oldest public building in the District of Columbia, and 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue is the most famous address in the United States. Here, every President except George Washington, has conducted the government of the Nation. . . . — Map (db m10127) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Downtown — United States Department of the Treasury
Has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark Under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935 This site possesses exceptional value in commemorating or illustrating the history of the United States U.S. . . . — Map (db m2122) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Dupont Circle — Andrew Mellon Building
Andrew Mellon Building has been designated a National Historical Landmark This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America. 1977 National Park Service United States Department of . . . — Map (db m40505) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Dupont Circle — Charlotte Forten Grimke House
Has been designated a National Historic Landmark. This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America. — Map (db m7125) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Dupont Circle — General Federation of Women’s Clubs
The General Federation of Women’s Clubs is an international women’s organization dedicated to community improvement by enhancing the lives of other through volunteer service. Founded in 1890, it is one of the world’s largest and oldest nonpartisan, . . . — Map (db m32128) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Foggy Bottom — Constitution Hall
. . . — Map (db m50841) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Foggy Bottom — Memorial Continental Hall
. . . — Map (db m40991) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Foggy Bottom — National Headquarters, American Red Cross
National Headquarters American Red Cross has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 23, 1935. This site possesses exceptional value in commemorating or illustrating the . . . — Map (db m38864) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Foggy Bottom — Peace at Last!Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
The Octagon Once was the city residence of wealthy Virginia landowner Colonel John Tayloe III. After the British burned the White House and other government buildings, President James Madison accepted Tayloe's invitation to use the Octagon as a . . . — Map (db m87563) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Foggy Bottom — The Octagon
Built between 1799 and 1802 by Colonel John Tayloe III (1771-1828) and his wife Ann Ogle Tayloe (1772-1855) Dr. William Thornton (1759-1828) Architect Occupied by President and Mrs. Madison from August 1814 to March 1815 after the burning . . . — Map (db m40225) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Gallaudet — "Ole Jim"Peikoff Alumni House — Gallaudet University
Panel 1 “Ole Jim” Fondly known by Gallaudet alumni as “Ole Jim,” this building was the first Gallaudet College gymnasium. Designed by Frederick Withers and built in 1881, it was the nation’s second gymnasium . . . — Map (db m40440) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Gallaudet — Chapel HallGallaudet College
Chapel Hall Gallaudet College has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935, this site possesses exceptional value in commemorating or illustrating the . . . — Map (db m40459) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Georgetown Historic District
Has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935. This site possesses exceptional value in commemorating and illustrating the history of the United States. — Map (db m130) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Healy HallNational Historic Landmark — Georgetown University
[Panel 1:] Healy Hall bares the name of the Reverend Patrick F. Healy, S.J. 1834-1910 the University's twenty-ninth president 1873-1882 The first Black American to hold a doctorate and the first to serve as president of a major university in . . . — Map (db m21889) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — South LawnTudor Place
In 1816, your view from this sweeping lawn included the bustling tobacco port of Georgetown, the Potomac River, and, to the east, the growing city of Washington DC. Then a hay field, sheep and cows grazed on the law. By the beginning of the 1900s . . . — Map (db m95956) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Judiciary Square — e.2 — Old City HallCivil War to Civil Rights — Downtown Heritage Trail
"--witness to the end of slavery in the nation’s capital." This imposing Greek Revival building was Washington’s first city hall, designed by George Hadfield and built between 1820 and 1850. It house the city court and an elected mayor and . . . — Map (db m29655) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Judiciary Square — e.7 — The National Building MuseumCivil War to Civil Rights — Downtown Heritage Trail
“It’s too bad the damn thing is fire proof,” General William Tecumseh Sherman, 1887. The nation’s only museum dedicated to American achievements in architecture, urban planning, construction, engineering, and design is . . . — Map (db m48661) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Mount Vernon Square — 2 of 17 — For the Working PeopleMidcity at the Crossroads — Shaw Heritage Trail
"There is not a wrong too long endured that we are not determined to abolish." Samuel Gompers. This large office building opened in 1916 as the headquarters of the American Federation of Labor. With 2.5 million members, this union was the . . . — Map (db m22625) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Navy Yard — The Washington Navy Yard
Authorized by the first Secretary of the Navy, Benjamin Stoddard, is the U.S. Navy's oldest shore establishment. It occupies land set aside by George Washington for use by the federal government. The Navy Yard expanded rapidly as a shipbuilding . . . — Map (db m90434) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Old Soldiers Home — President Lincoln’s Cottage at the Soldiers’ Home — A National Trust Historic Site
President Lincoln and his family lived in this country home for over a quarter of his presidency. Escorted by his cavalry guard, Lincoln rode to the White House every morning either on horseback or by carriage, and returned here each evening to . . . — Map (db m52838) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Old Soldiers Home — U. S. Soldiers' Home
. . . — Map (db m52839) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Penn Quarter — General Post OfficeNational Historic Landmark
General Post Office has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935. This site possesses exceptional value in commemorating or illustrating the history of the . . . — Map (db m28536) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Pleasant Plains — General Oliver O. Howard
Residence of General Oliver O. Howard, founder of Howard University, 1869 - 1874. — Map (db m9263) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Pleasant Plains — Howard HallAfrican American Heritage Trail, Washington D.C.
607 Howard Place, NW Howard Hall was completed in 1869 as the home of white Civil War General Oliver Otis Howard (1830-1909), for whom Howard University was named. As commissioner of the Bureau of Refuges, Freedman and Abandoned Lands . . . — Map (db m65707) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Pleasant Plains — Howard UniversitySixth Street and Howard Place, NW — African American Heritage Trail, Washington, DC
Howard University, one of the oldest Black colleges in the United States, was established by Congress in 1866 to educate formerly enslaved individuals. Its name honors Freedman's Bureau Commissioner General Oliver Otis Howard, a member of the white . . . — Map (db m66401) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Shaw — 6 of 14 — A Home Away From HomeCity Within a City — Greater U Street Heritage Trail
The Thurgood Marshall Center for Service and Heritage occupies the historic Italian Renaissance-style building of the 12th Street YMCA, known after 1972 as the Anthony Bowen YMCA. The 12th Street YMCA was the first African American YMCA in the . . . — Map (db m40767) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Shaw — Carter G. Woodson House
Has been designated a National Historic Landmark. This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America. — Map (db m7121) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Shaw — Mary Ann Shadd Cary House
[Panel 1:] Mary Ann Shadd Cary House Has been designated a National Historic Landmark This site possesses national significance In commemorating the history of the United States of America. An African American . . . — Map (db m61813) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Shaw — 13 of 14 — Meridian Hill ParkCity Within a City — Greater U Street Heritage Trail
Just ahead of you at the corner of 15th Street and Florida Avenue is the entrance to Meridian Hill Park, a dramatic urban oasis established in 1912 and completed in 1936. Its stunning, 12-acre landscape features the longest cascading waterfall of . . . — Map (db m24149) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), The National Mall — Arts and Industries Building
The Arts and Industries Building, the second oldest Smithsonian building, was the first building designed for the National Museum, as the Smithsonian's first museum was known. It was constructed between 1879 and 1881 to meet the need for more . . . — Map (db m46583) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), The National Mall — Lincoln Memorial
[Dedication by Royal Cortissoz, above the statue by sculptor Daniel Chester French:] "In this temple as in the hearts of the people for whom he saved the Union the memory of Abraham Lincoln is enshrined forever." [Inscription . . . — Map (db m28607) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), The National Mall — Original Smithsonian Institution Building
Erected 1847-57. Designed by James Renwick, Jr. in twelfth century Romanesque style for the first offices, research laboratories, exhibits, collections, and lectures of the Smithsonian Institution. Dedicated to the increase and diffusion of . . . — Map (db m46413) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), The Tidal Basin — Thomas JeffersonNational Memorial Cornerstone — National Historic Landmark
This Cornerstone was laid by Franklin Delano Roosevelt President of the United States of America 1939 — Map (db m83684) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Titusville — F-486 — Windover Archaeological Site
Discovered by accident in 1982, the Windover site is a burial place of Early Native Americans who inhabited this region 7,000 to 8,000 years ago. The burials were placed underwater in the peat of the shallow pond. This peat helped to preserve . . . — Map (db m60342) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Norman Silent Film Studios
While Jacksonville bustled with the activity of motion picture filming during the years 1908 through 1916, by the early 1920s little of the industry remained in town. However, over on Laura Street in the Springfield section of Jacksonville, brothers . . . — Map (db m93419) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — F-464 — Sinking of the Maple Leaf
Approximately 15 miles up river from this point, the Union transport Maple Leaf was destroyed by a Confederate mine during the early morning hours of April 1, 1864. The Maple Leaf sank to the bottom of the St. Johns River after hitting . . . — Map (db m58347) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — F-383 — Centro Español de Tampa
Chartered on September 7, 1891, El Centro Español was the first Latin club organized in Ybor City. As a mutual aid society, it provided early Spanish immigrants with a framework by which they maintained their identity and culture while . . . — Map (db m31711) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — F-31 — Tampa Bay Hotel
Henry B. Plant built this ornate Moorish structure at a cost of $3 million. Opened in 1891, it became the social and cultural center of early Tampa. During the Spanish American War it was headquarters for troops going to Cuba and housed such . . . — Map (db m20020) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Tampa Bay Hotel
On June 14, 1898, Lt. Col. Theodore Roosevelt and the First United States Volunteer Cavalry, known as the Rough Riders, embarked from Port Tampa for victory in the Spanish-American War. The Tampa Bay Hotel was used as headquarters for . . . — Map (db m20160) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Tampa Bay Hotel, 1891The University of Tampa, 1933
This former grand old resort hotel, a seat of culture and education, has been the proud symbol of Tampa since 1891. Erected by The University of Tampa Class of 1991, on the occasion of the centennial of the building, this marker is a . . . — Map (db m20063) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — F-388 — Ybor City Historic District
Vincente Martinez-Ybor, a wealthy Spanish cigar manufacturer from New York and Key West, began development of Ybor City in 1885. On April 12,1886, 500 Cuban cigarmakers boarded the sidewheeler Hutchinson in Key West and sailed for Tampa. . . . — Map (db m31712) HM
Florida (Leon County), Tallahassee — F-452 — Mission San Luis
Mission San Luis de Talimali was among the largest and most important missions in Spanish Florida. Its parishioners were Apalachee Indians who were descendents of those people whose village Hernando de Soto appropriated during the winter of . . . — Map (db m79564) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Homestead — Historic Town HallNational Historic Landmark
Historic Town Hall has been designated a National Historic Landmark. This building was designed by Miami architect H. Hastings Mundy and built in 1917. As the Homestead Town Hall, it housed the City Fire Department, the Police Station and the . . . — Map (db m73367) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — Ferdinand MagellanU.S. Car No. 1
U.S. Car No. 1, Ferdinand Magellan has been designated National Historic Landmark Presidential railroad car built for the exclusive use of the President of the United States of America 1942 Restored and exhibited by The . . . — Map (db m73445) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — Saving the Circle
The Miami Circle site would not exist today if it were not for the support of the community. Public outcry over the impending destruction of the Miami Circle led to additional archaeological research and preservation of the 2.2 acre parcel of . . . — Map (db m65471) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — The Miami Circle
On this spot of land at the mouth of the Miami River, a historic discovery shed new light on one of Florida's early peoples - the Tequesta. During the demolition of the Brickell Point apartments in 1998, archaeologists uncovered preshistoric . . . — Map (db m65644) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — The Miami Circle at Brickell Point
The Miami Circle at Brickell Point has been designated a National Historic Landmark This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America. The Miami Circle is a 38-foot diameter ring of post . . . — Map (db m65646) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — 70000181 — Vizcaya
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m63817) HM
Florida (Pinellas County), Safety Harbor — Safety Harbor Site
. . . — Map (db m13646) HM
Florida (Polk County), Lakeland — F-275 — The Frank Lloyd Wright Campus of Florida Southern College
At Florida Southern College is located the largest collection of buildings on one site ever created by Frank Lloyd Wright, one of America's foremost architects. Wright's plan for the campus is the only tangible example of his community planning . . . — Map (db m13632) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — El Pueblo de Gracia Real de Santa Teresa de MoseFort Mose Historic State Park
Great Seal of the State of Florida:"In God We Trust" On the shore of Robinson Creek, 1/4 mile east of this marker, was the site of a Spanish mission for Indians left homeless during the Queen Anne's War. Since 1688, Negro . . . — Map (db m65579) HM WM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — F-240 — Ponce De Leon Hotel
The magnificent structure was erected between 1885 and 1887 by Henry M. Flagler, the hotel and railroad magnate whose activities contributed greatly to the development of Florida's eastern coastal area. Designed by the New York architectural firm of . . . — Map (db m5994) HM
Florida (Sumter County), Bushnell — On This SpotDecember 28, 1835 — Dade Battlefield
Major Francis L. Dade and his command consisting of detachments of the Fourth Infantry, Second and Third Artillery United States Army, while marching from Tampa Bay to Fort King was attacked by a superior force of Seminole Indians commanded by Mico . . . — Map (db m20024) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Ponce Inlet — Ponce de Leon Inlet Lighthouse
(NHL Plaque) Ponce de Leon Inlet Lighthouse Has Been Designated A National Historic Landmark This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America 1998 National Park Service United . . . — Map (db m34434) HM

776 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 576
Paid Advertisement