Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Historical Markers in Israel

 
Tel Afeq - Antipatris Marker image, Touch for more information
By Dale K. Benington, March 9, 2013
Tel Afeq - Antipatris Marker
Israel, Central District, Rosh Ha'ayin — Tel Afeq - Antipatris
Archaeological excavations at Tel Afeq have exposed layers of occupation dating from the Chalcolithic period (the fourth millennium B.C.E.) until the 20th century C.E. Strategically situated on the "Afeq Pass", a bottleneck between the headwaters of . . . — Map (db m64309) HM
Israel, Central District (Hefer Valley Regional Council), Avihayil — Lt. Col. John Henry Patterson
John Henry Patterson was born in Ireland on November 10, 1876. He was an Irish Protestant who had a thorough knowledge of the Bible, and was sympathetic to the Jewish people in biblical times and to the Zionist idea.

He served in the British . . . — Map (db m134674) HM

Israel, Central District (Petach Tikva), Rosh Ha'ayin — The Egyptian Governor's Residence
This is the most complete of the six Late Bronze Age (Canaanite), 1550-1200 B.C.E. palaces excavated at Afeq. The ground floor is preserved in its entirety, while the stairway testifies to the existence of the now-destroyed upper storeys. . . . — Map (db m64406) HM
Israel, Central District (Petach Tikva), Rosh Ha'ayin — The Roman Cardo — הקארדו הרומי
A remnant of the main street of the Roman city of Antipatris. "Cardo" is the name for the main north-south street of a Roman-era city. Shops lined the Cardo, and at its center it was connected to the Forum, the city's central square. Grooves can be . . . — Map (db m64445) HM
Israel, Haifa District, Acre — The Crusader Fortress of the Knights of the Hospital and the Ottoman-Turkish Citadel of Akko
On this site, in the 12th-13th century, towered the fortress of the Order of the Knights of the Hospital of Saint John (the "Hospitallers") who were based in Akko (Acre) until the Muslim conquest of the city in 1291. Over the ruins of the fortress, . . . — Map (db m65456) HM
Israel, Haifa District, Acre — The Crusaders — Until their arrival at Akko
On their way to Jerusalem in 1099, the Crusaders killed the Jewish 'infidels' and destroyed many communities, among which were in the communities of Speyer, Worms and Magenza. In memory of those who perished the prayer "Merciful Father" was . . . — Map (db m65446) HM
Israel, Haifa District, Akko — The Shrine and Mansion of Bahα’u’llαh
At the heart of this site is the Shrine of Bahα’u’llαh, the final resting place of the Founder of the Bahα’ν Faith, regarded by Bahα’νs as the most holy spot on earth. Next to the Shrine stands the Mansion where Bahα’u’llαh resided from the summer . . . — Map (db m79276) HM
Israel, Haifa District, Caesarea — A Collection of Architectural Artifacts
This garden presents a collection of architectural artifacts discovered during the excavation of Caesarea, or found by chance. The source of much of present day knowledge of the styles and building methods of the classical world of . . . — Map (db m64466) HM
Israel, Haifa District, Caesarea — Architectural Elements
The gable, cornice, frieze and architrave are some of the architectural elements that were typical of the facades and other monumental structures. The ornamentation of these buildings changed according to the adopted style. In the Roman . . . — Map (db m65175) HM
Israel, Haifa District, Caesarea — Column Capitals
In the Classical World, Planning and Aesthetics principles were clear and unambiguous. The Doric, Ionic, and Corinthian orders were elaborated by the Greeks and later, adopted by the Romans, with some variations. Each order bears its own rules and . . . — Map (db m64499) HM
Israel, Haifa District, Caesarea — Dedicatory Inscription — כתובת הקדשה
"(Po)ntius Pilatus, the prefect of Judaea, (erected) a (building dedicated) to (the emperor) Tiberius". Replica. The original inscription, found in secondary use during the excavations of the theater, is on display at the . . . — Map (db m65173) HM
Israel, Haifa District, Caesarea — I Appeal Unto Caesar
"For if I be an offender, or have committed any thing worthy of death, I refuse not to die; but if there be none of these things whereof these accuse me, no man may deliver me unto them. I appeal unto Caesar. Then Festus, when he had . . . — Map (db m64534) HM
Israel, Haifa District, Caesarea — King Herod's Hippodrome
"Herod built (...) on the south quarter, behind the port, an amphitheater also capable of holding a vast number of men and conveniently situated for a prospect to the sea" Josephus This edifice, whose location . . . — Map (db m65176) HM
Israel, Haifa District, Caesarea — King Herod's 'Hippodrome'
This hippodrome (circus* in Latin), built in 10/9 B.C. by King Herod for the inauguration of the city, held horse - and chariot - races, athletics, gladiatorial combat and hunting games. Before falling into disuse at the end of the Roman period, the . . . — Map (db m136047) HM
Israel, Haifa District, Caesarea — Sarcophagi
Sarcophagi (coffins in Greek) made of stone (granite, marble, limestone) lead or wood were widely used among different people including Jews, throughout the Greco-Roman world. Sarcophagus means "flesh eater". Stone coffins were made out of two . . . — Map (db m64501) HM
Israel, Haifa District, Caesarea — Sarcophagus Lid — Adorned With a Gorgon's Head
This Sarcophagus lid is decorated at both ends by mythological Gorgon heads in relief. Marble The Late Roman period (2nd - 3rd centuries CE)Map (db m136545) HM
Israel, Haifa District, Caesarea — The Caesarea Nymphaeum
The nymphaeum was the public fountain that stood at the center of ancient Caesarea as one of the city's main monuments, and was situated at the intersection where the city's main street meets the Herodian port. The nymphaeum had a decorative . . . — Map (db m136550) HM
Israel, Haifa District, Caesarea — The Chariot-Races — The Meta Prima
The chariot races thrilled the crowds. The counterclockwise seven-lap race commenced at the starting gates (carceres) (1) and ended at a finishing line situated in front of the dignitaries' tribune (2). At each end of the axial rib . . . — Map (db m64537) HM
Israel, Haifa District, Caesarea — The Chariot-Races — The Carceres
From the starting gates (carceres), chariots dashed counterclockwise on a seven-lap race whose finishing line was situated in front of the officials' tribune. The sharp curve at the turning posts (meta prima and meta secunda), . . . — Map (db m136054) HM
Israel, Haifa District, Caesarea — The Governor's Palace Baths
This bathhouse is the only important remain of the private wing of the Byzantine governor's palace, almost entirely destroyed by the construction of the medieval fortifications. — Map (db m136543) HM
Israel, Haifa District, Caesarea — The Harbor "Sebastos"
The construction of the harbor was a far reaching enterprise, involving artificial islands built in the open sea and serving as bases for piers and breakwaters. Apparently, the raw materials and technology came with the Roman engineers sent by . . . — Map (db m136547) HM
Israel, Haifa District, Caesarea — The Lower Palace
A refined palace with a swimming pool, once stood here. The sand only preserved its eastern wing, comprising a grand (dining?) complex: a central hall (Triclinium?) flanked by two small rooms on each side, all richly decorated, and provided with . . . — Map (db m136035) HM
Israel, Haifa District, Caesarea — The Palace Vaults
These four long, parallel vaults, opening onto the west through a portico, first served as substructures of the Roman financial procurator's palace. In a later stage, a large ornamented hall was added in front of the vaults converted into warehouses. — Map (db m136542) HM
Israel, Haifa District, Caesarea — The Promontory Palace — Herod's Palace & the Roman Praetorium
The edifice consists of two main units: the Lower Palace comprising the private wing, and the Upper Palace, housing the public wing. The latter, built around a large peristyle courtyard, was associated with the ruler's judicial and . . . — Map (db m64517) HM
Israel, Haifa District, Caesarea — The Roman Well
Some sixty lead scroll fragments dating to the 4th. c. A.D., probably execrations tablets and binding spells, were recovered from this well, where they had been intentionally thrown as a magical practice. In his address on the dedication of the Holy . . . — Map (db m64532) HM
Israel, Haifa District, Caesarea — The Theater — התיאטרון
The only remnants left from the Theater of Caesarea are rows of seats, the orchestra, the stage and the scene-frons which is an ornamental wall behind the stage. How did it look like? Comparisons show that it might resemble the facade of a two or . . . — Map (db m64498) HM
Israel, Haifa District, Haifa — Exodus — The Ship that launched a Nation.
The S.S. Exodus was an American Aliyah Bet ship crewed by American volunteers together with Haganah operatives from pre-state Israel. Her mission was to rescue Holocaust survivors trapped in Europe after the murder of 6 million Jews, bringing them . . . — Map (db m134635) HM
Israel, Haifa District, Haifa — The German Colony Story — Die Geschichte der deutschen Kolonie
The establishment of the German Colony in 1869 is a milestone in the history of Haifa's development. In the middle of a sparsely populated and largely barren land, laboring under deficient rule, hundreds of German settlers characterized by great . . . — Map (db m79275) HM
Israel, Haifa District, Haifa — The Shrine of the Bαb Terraces and Gardens
On 21 March 1909 the mortal remains of the Bαb, one of the Central Figures of the Bahα'ν Faith, were interred in the Shrine that is the focal point of these gardens. Martyred in Iran in 1850, the Bαb had devoted Himself to preparing the way for . . . — Map (db m79010) HM
Israel, Haifa District, Megiddo — A Public Grain Silo
A public grain silo from the time of King Jeroboam II (8th century BCE). The silo had a capacity of 450 cubic meters. Straw found between the stones attests to the function of the installation. — Map (db m65196) HM
Israel, Haifa District, Megiddo — A Unique Continuity
[Text on the Left Side of the Marker]: The deep section dug by the University of Chicago Expedition (1925-1939) provides a unique glimpse into the nearly thirty settlements built one on top of the other at the site. Due to the unique . . . — Map (db m64908) HM
Israel, Haifa District, Megiddo — From Megiddo to Armageddon
The city of Megiddo played a prominent role in the history of the ancient Near East. Strategically located at the mouth of the Nahal Iron Pass, Megiddo controlled access to the road that linked Egypt with Mesopotamia and Anatolia - the most . . . — Map (db m64782) HM
Israel, Haifa District, Megiddo — Schumaker's Excavations
The first excavations at Tel Megiddo were directed by Gottlieb Schumacher on behalf of the Deutscher Palastina-Verein, between 1903 and 1905. After excavating the Tempelburg ('temple-fortress') in the eastern section of the mound, . . . — Map (db m65019) HM
Israel, Haifa District, Megiddo — Tel Megiddo National Park — World Heritage Site — The Biblical Tels - Megiddo, Hazor, Beer Sheba —
The biblical tels of Megiddo, Hazor and Beer Sheba were inscribed in 2005 by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) as World Heritage Sites with outstanding universal value. They are fitting representatives of . . . — Map (db m64811) HM
Israel, Haifa District, Megiddo — The City-Gate — (The Late Bronze Period)
[Text on the Left Side of the Marker]: The Late Bronze period (1550-1150 B.C.) is marked by Egyptian rule of Canaan. At that time, Megiddo was one of the country's major city-states and its king a loyal vassal of the Egyptian pharaoh. . . . — Map (db m64821) HM
Israel, Haifa District, Megiddo — The City-Gate — (The Iron II Period)
[Text on the Left Side of the Marker]: Megiddo became an Israelite city sometime between the 10th and 9th centuries B.C., and functioned as an administrative center for he fertile Jezreel Valley. Some time later, a massive wall (1) and a . . . — Map (db m64882) HM
Israel, Haifa District, Megiddo — The Northern Palace
[Text on the Left Side of the Marker]: The foundations of this palace, first investigated by Y. Yadin in 1960, are presently being excavated by 'The Megiddo Expedition'. The edifice was apparently laid out as a bit hilani (North . . . — Map (db m64898) HM
Israel, Haifa District, Megiddo — The Northern Stables
[Text on the Left Side of the Marker]: Architectural complexes dating from the same period (9th or 8th c. B.C.) and of similar design were found near the northern and southern edges of the mound. Through the years they variously . . . — Map (db m64889) HM
Israel, Haifa District, Megiddo — The Sacred Area
[Text on the Left Side of the Marker]: This area served as a focus of worship for over two thousand years, from the Early Bronze through the Iron I periods. The University of Chicago excavation section a series of temples (1, 3-5) built . . . — Map (db m64985) HM
Israel, Haifa District, Megiddo — The Southern Palace
[Text on the Left Side of the Marker]: An elaborate ashlar-built palace (1) stood near the southern edge of the mound. A monumental entrance (2) - the only visible remains still standing - led to the courtyard (3). Like the northern . . . — Map (db m65198) HM
Israel, Haifa District, Megiddo — The Southern Stables
[Text on the Left Side of the Marker]: The southern stables' five units could accommodate 150 horses. As in the northern complex, each unit consists of a rectangular building divided into three sections by two rows of alternating pillars . . . — Map (db m65204) HM
Israel, Haifa District, Megiddo — The Water System
[Text on the Left Side of the Marker]: The problem of supplying water to large cities, a serious issue even in times of peace, could become acute in times of siege. Megiddo's main water source was located at the foot of the mound, beyond . . . — Map (db m65215) HM
Israel, Haifa District (Israel), Haifa — Raoul Wallenberg's Residence
Raoul Wallenberg, a "Righteous Among the Nations", lived in this building in 1936, while working in the Holland Bank office in Haifa's lower downtown area.

In 1944, he was sent by the Swedish government as a diplomat to Hungary and . . . — Map (db m115458) HM

Israel, Jerusalem District, Jerusalem — Absalom's Tomb
This splendid burial monument dates to the end of the Second temple period. The lower part of the monument is hewn and the upper part is constructed. The name derives from the biblical verse that tells of Absalom's construction of a monument for . . . — Map (db m63866) HM
Israel, Jerusalem District, Jerusalem — Achish, Ruler of Ekron
English Translation of Text on Marker: The temple which he built, Achish (Ikausu) son of Padi, son of YSD, son Ada, son of Ya'ir, ruler of Ekron, for PTGYH his lady. May she bless him, and protect him, and prolong his days, and bless his . . . — Map (db m142015) HM
Israel, Jerusalem District, Jerusalem — Beit Hatzofeh Lookout — A Journey to the Source
"Jerusalem, hills enfold it, and the Lord enfolds his people now and forever" (Psalms 125:2) Jerusalem was first established on the hill on which you are now standing almost 4,000 years ago, during the Canaanite . . . — Map (db m63924) HM
Israel, Jerusalem District, Jerusalem — Cave 24 — Ketef Hinnom — Archaeological Garden —
English Text: This is the most remarkable cave at this site, as it contains some of the most important archaeological finds in Jerusalem. The plan of room on the right is rectangular, measuring 2.0 x 3.7 meters. Three raised burial . . . — Map (db m141531) HM
Israel, Jerusalem District, Jerusalem — Double Gate Monumental Stairs and Observation Plaza
The Restoration Project of the Second Temple Period Double Gate Monumental Stairs and Observation Plaza — Map (db m63963) HM
Israel, Jerusalem District, Jerusalem — Gethsemane
Garden of Olives Jesus went out with his disciples across the Kidron valley to a place where there was a garden, which he and his disciples entered. (Gospel of John 18:1) “Gethsemane, a place where the Savior prayed before . . . — Map (db m44596) HM
Israel, Jerusalem District, Jerusalem — Jaffa Gate — Old City Jerusalem
[Text in Hebrew …] [Text in English:] Jaffa Gate is the westernmost of the gates in the walls of Jerusalem. It is so named as the starting point of the road to Jaffa port. Its Arabic name, Bab al-Khalil, meaning “Hebron . . . — Map (db m44853) HM
Israel, Jerusalem District, Jerusalem — Jehoshaphat's Cave — מערת יהושפט — مغارة يهوشافاط —
This is a burial complex from the Second Temple period. The facade of the cave features the relief of a gable resembling the roof facade of a sacred building. The decorative style is drawn from Hellenistic art, which influenced Jewish burial . . . — Map (db m63932) HM
Israel, Jerusalem District, Jerusalem — Ketef Hinnom
The Burial Caves date from the First Temple Period. Throughout many generations, they served affluent Jerusalem families as a location to bury their dead. The deceased was placed on a stone slab with a special indentation for the head. At the end of . . . — Map (db m63881) HM
Israel, Jerusalem District, Jerusalem — Latin Dedicatory Inscription
Latin Text that appears on Stone: ... )s Tiberivm ... Pon)tivs Pilatvs ... Praef)ectvsivda(ea) English Translation of Text, provided, but not seen on Stone: ... building in . . . — Map (db m88742) HM
Israel, Jerusalem District, Jerusalem — Machal / מח"ל — Volunteers from Abroad
During Israel’s War of Independence, 1948-49, more than 4,800 volunteers, including 168 Christians, came from 59 countries to Israel’s aid. Some had served as crew on the 10 American-purchased Aliyah Bet ships that brought so many Holocaust . . . — Map (db m134663) HM
Israel, Jerusalem District, Jerusalem — Mishkenot Sheananim
English Text: This was the first Jewish neighborhood built outside the walls of the old city of Jerusalem (1860). It was successfully defended by the Haganah during the disturbances of 1929, 1936-1939 and during the War of Independence. . . . — Map (db m141985) HM
Israel, Jerusalem District, Jerusalem — Ritual Baths and Water Conduits
The Restoration Project of the Second Temple period Ritual Baths and Water Conduits in the area south of the Temple Mount Enclosure — Map (db m63951) HM
Israel, Jerusalem District, Jerusalem — Stephen Theodore Norman, 1918-1946. Last descendent of Theodor Herzl — You will be amazed at the Jewish Youth in Palestine... They have the look of freedom.
"You will be amazed at Jewish youth in Palestine...they have the look of freedom." Stephen Theodore Norman, 1918-1946. Last descendent of Theodor Herzl. Stephen Norman was the grandson of Theodor Herzl and his last descendent. Born in Vienna, . . . — Map (db m134639) HM
Israel, Jerusalem District, Jerusalem — The Burnt Room and the House of the Bullae — Destruction and Ruin
"He burned the House of the Lord, the king's palace, and all the houses of Jerusalem; he burned down the house of every notable person." (II Kings 25: 9) This residential quarter went up in flames with the rest of . . . — Map (db m63933) HM
Israel, Jerusalem District, Jerusalem — The Crucifixion — At Golgatha, The Place of the Skull
Then delivered he him therefore unto them to be crucified and they took Jesus, and led him away. And he bearing the cross went forth into a place called Golgatha where they crucified him and two other with him, on either side one, and Jesus in . . . — Map (db m95071) HM
Israel, Jerusalem District, Jerusalem — The House of Ahiel — בית אחיאל
Here Dwells Ahiel in a Four Room House "He (David) had houses made for himself in the City of David..." (1 Chronicles15: 1) The name 'Ahiel' appears on potsherds found among the ruins of this house. The House . . . — Map (db m65296) HM
Israel, Jerusalem District, Jerusalem — The Large Stone Structure — The Remains of King David's Palace? — מבנה האבן הגדול —
"And Hiram king of Tyre sent messengers to David, and cedar - trees, and carpenters, and masons; and they built David a house" (II Samuel 5: 11) Excavations in progress at this site since May 2005 conducted by Eilat Mazar, . . . — Map (db m64064) HM
Israel, Jerusalem District, Jerusalem — The Pool of Shiloah (Siloam) — Second Temple Splendor
"The other events of Hezekiah's reign, and all his exploits, and all his exploits, and how he made the pool and the conduit and brought the water into the city, are recorded in the Annals of the Kings of Judah" (II Kings 20:20) . . . — Map (db m63905) HM
Israel, Jerusalem District, Jerusalem — The Priestly Blessing — Ketef Hinnom — Archaeological Garden —
English Text: Two smaller silver objets were discovered in the bone repository, rolled up like tiny scrolls, to be worn as amulets. After the scrolls were unrolled, it emerged that they were made of pure silver, measured 27 x 97 . . . — Map (db m141591) HM
Israel, Jerusalem District, Jerusalem — The Royal Quarter (Area G)
"...the city shall be rebuilt on its mound, and the fortress in its proper place" (Jeremiah 30:18) The inhabitants of ancient Jerusalem once built their homes on this hillside. The earliest structure unearthed here . . . — Map (db m63928) HM
Israel, Jerusalem District, Jerusalem — The Water System — (Warren's Shaft) — Into the Depths of the Earth Through the Ancient Water System —
"And David said on that day: 'Whosoever smiteth the Jebusites, and getteth up to the gutter...'" (II Samuel 5:8) We are standing at the entrance to a subterranean water system. The Gihon Spring was Jerusalem's main . . . — Map (db m63947) HM
Israel, Jerusalem District, Jerusalem — Tombs from the First Temple Period — Ketef Hinnom — Menachem Begin Heritage Center —
English Text: Seven burial caves from the late First Temple period were found at the site. The caves, which were hewn into the cliff above which the Scottish Church of St. Andrew was built, were found partially destroyed by later . . . — Map (db m141978) HM
Israel, Jerusalem District, Jerusalem — Western Wall — Temple Mount — Old City of Jerusalem —
The Divine presence never moves from the Western Wall. Jewish tradition teaches that the Temple Mount is the focal point of Creation. In the center of the mountain lies the “Foundation Stone” of the world. Here Adam came . . . — Map (db m44722) HM
Israel, Jerusalem District (Mateh Yehuda Regional Council), Srigim — Tel Azekah
Ancient Azeka, an important fortified city in the geographical jurisdiction of the Tribe of Judah, dominated one of the routes from the lowlands to the Judean Mountains. It is mentioned in the scriptures in relation to Joshua's wars against the . . . — Map (db m135460) HM
Israel, Judea and Samaria Area (Tamar Regional Council), Ein Gedi — Ahava Mineral Salts Hooper
Displayed here is Ahava's original filling instrument. Since Ahava factory opened in 1988, this tool has been utilized to fill 284,770 salt bags, 339 25 kilogram salt sacks and 729 5 kilogram salt buckets. In 1992 it officially retired and was . . . — Map (db m132155) HM
Israel, Northern District, Beit She'an — Gateway to Paradise
English Text: The summer months pulsate with heat in the Bet-She'an Valley. At its heart, in the ancient city of Bet-She'an, were discovered the remains of bathhouses, fountains, and ornamental pools - echoes of a past rich in water . . . — Map (db m141501) HM
Israel, Northern District, Beit She'an — Monument / Nymphaeum / Temple
English Text: Monument The purpose of this lavish structure is uncertain; it may have served as a central monument. Together with the surrounding buildings, it collapsed in the earthquake of 749 C.E. Nymphaeum Splendid . . . — Map (db m141528) HM
Israel, Northern District, Beit She'an — The Last Days of Scythopolis
English Text: Roman Bet-She'an, known as Nyssa Scythopolis, became Christian, reaching its golden age in the 6th century C.E. In the 7th century, Muslims settled in the city, once again changing its character. One day in the year 749, an . . . — Map (db m141502) HM
Israel, Northern District, Beit She'an — The Splendor of the City
English Text: In the Roman period, during the 2nd century C.E., the monumental center of Bet-She'an was built into the valley at the foot of the tell. Roman style and workmanship were applied in constructing public buildings, which were . . . — Map (db m141513) HM
Israel, Northern District, Migdal — Discoveries at Magdala — Magdala is a place of many treasures
English Text: The Magdala stone: A three-dimensional model of the Temple on which the holy scrolls were placed, was found inside the synagogue. Four miqva'ot: Purification baths fed by underground water sources are unique compared . . . — Map (db m140979) HM
Israel, Northern District, Migdal — Domestic Housing Area
The architecture of this area allows us to distinguish two streets that separate three structures following the same symmetric layout as the rooms located west. They are constructed from local materials: the walls are made of roughly hewn basalt . . . — Map (db m140515) HM
Israel, Northern District, Migdal — History of Magdala — c. 200 BC / c. 20-60 AD / 67 AD / c. 100 AD / c. 200 AD
English Text: c. 200 BC Magdala is established, likely through Hasmonean influence (Jewish families), during the Hellenistic period. c. 20-60 AD Magdala develops from a small village into a prosperous city known for fish . . . — Map (db m140983) HM
Israel, Northern District, Migdal — History of Magdala — c. 1500 AD / 1885-1910 AD / 1948 AD / 2006-2009 AD
English Text: c. 1500 AD Between the earthquake of 363 and the crusader period, the southern part of Magdala witnesses a progressive decrease and multiple variations. It eventually becomes a small Arab village during Mamluk and . . . — Map (db m141302) HM
Israel, Northern District, Migdal — House of Miqwa'ot
This ritual space stands out due to its mosaic floor that is made of thousands of colored tesserae. A white background, framed by a black meander pattern surrounded by an orange rectangle, emphasizes the image of a rosette in the central panel, . . . — Map (db m140534) HM
Israel, Northern District, Migdal — House of Miqwa'ot
The main axis of this complex is a north-south street that divides two buildings. There are two types of contexts here: housing units in the southern area are constructed simply with blocks of basalt stone and limestone walls. To the east ands west . . . — Map (db m140857) HM
Israel, Northern District, Migdal — House of Miqwa'ot
The building has peculiar architectural elements, and the existence of groundwater was key for locating the miqwa'ot. The analysis of the architectural plan and the building system suggests that this ritual space on the outside had similar . . . — Map (db m140867) HM
Israel, Northern District, Migdal — House of Miqwa'ot
The Jewish communities of Israel in the Second Temple period used unique water installations called miqwa'ot, which enabled them to maintain ritual purity. According to the Halakhah (Jewish law), religious people should immerse into . . . — Map (db m140973) HM
Israel, Northern District, Migdal — Magdala's Hall of Fame — Famous feet walked these shores
English Texts: Magdala was the hometown of Mary Magdalene - one of Jesus' most faithful followers. Luke 4:15, Matthew 4:23; 9:35; Mark 1:39 "Jesus went throughout all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues and proclaiming the good . . . — Map (db m140982) HM
Israel, Northern District, Migdal — Market
The architectural features of this area denote a public building identified with commercial activities. A North - South street leads to the synagogue and provides the only access to spaces with an additional eastern access to another structures. . . . — Map (db m141363) HM
Israel, Northern District, Nazareth — Architectural Elements of the Church-Synagogue
The stones exhumed form the fill beneath the mosaic floors of the Byzantine building (IV-V century) can be classified: (1) bases, more or less preserved, often having traces of plaster; (2) imposts of a double-arch with a beautifully worked cornice; . . . — Map (db m139218) HM
Israel, Northern District, Nazareth — Basilica of the Annunciation
“And the Word became flesh” Historians tell that the Grotto and its surroundings, being the site of the Annunciation were turned into a worship place in the 1st and 2nd Century. -Early sources referred to the place as being . . . — Map (db m44298) HM
Israel, Northern District, Nazareth — Byzantine Mosaics
The most important mosaic floors are found inside the Basilica in the area in front of the Holy Grotto. Those shown here come from the monastery on the south side of the Byzantine Church. They had the value of "sealed levels" having preserved some . . . — Map (db m139256) HM
Israel, Northern District, Nazareth — Mount of Precipice — The Leaping Mountain
Rising above the southern part of the Nazareth Mountain Mt. of Precipice (397 meters) Look out over Nazareth, Mt. Tabor and The Yizrael Valley at its foot. Mt. of Precipice is also known as "The Leaping Mountain" - according to old . . . — Map (db m65395) HM
Israel, Northern District, Nazareth — The Ancient Village of Nazareth
What is left of the ancient village consist of a network of grottoes and bits of walls form various historical periods. Going backwards in time we found first the remains of the XVII century Franciscan monastery, then the palace of the crusader . . . — Map (db m65462) HM
Israel, Northern District, Nazareth — The Church of St. Joseph — [Sanctuario di Nazareth]
[Text in Hebrew …] [Text in Arabic…] This church was built in 1914 on the site of an earlier 12th century church. -The caves, granaries and wells in the lower level were used by the early dwellers of Nazareth. Later, . . . — Map (db m44353) HM
Israel, Northern District, Tiberias — "Magic on the sea of galilee..."
Tiberias the capital of the Galilee, one of the four Holy Cities of Israel Which was built by Antipas in the year 17-20, C.E. Antipas named the city Tiberias in honor of the Roman Ceasar, Tiberius. The institution of Jewish Leadership, the Sanhedrin . . . — Map (db m65327) HM
Israel, Northern District, Tiberias — Domestic Building
This building was part of Tiberias' northern quarter between the 6th and 11th centuries CE. The quarter occupied by Jews and the synagogue stood in its center. This building has three rooms and a courtyard with a well. — Map (db m65359) HM
Israel, Northern District, Tiberias — Doors of Burial Caves / Burial Customs - Sarcophagi
[Text at the top of the marker]: Doors of Burial Caves Burial caves were frequently sealed by stone doors in order to prevent bad smells and looting. In 2nd-3rd centuries CE Tiberias, basalt doors were used in mausolea and decorated . . . — Map (db m65341) HM
Israel, Northern District, Tiberias — The Architecture of Tiberias
The Architecture of Tiberias The columns, bases, cornices and capitals attest to the superb architecture of the public buildings in Tiberias. These were built according to the 2nd-3rd centuries CE Roman Imperial tradition. The . . . — Map (db m65352) HM
Israel, Northern District, Tiberias — The Crusader-Ottoman Building / Millstones
[Text at the top of the marker]: The Crusader-Ottoman Building This was built in the 12th century CE and remained in use until the Ottoman period. The hall has typical pointed vaults and embrasures in the walls, with remains of . . . — Map (db m65331) HM
Israel, Northern District, Tiberias — The Southern Wall
The wall was erected by the Beduin Governor of the Tiberias Region, Daher El-Omer, in the 18th century on the basis of the ruins of an earlier wall built by the Crusaders. The wall was destroyed in the 1837 earthquake and since then only . . . — Map (db m65326) HM
Israel, Northern District, Tiberias — The Synagogue
This is one of the thirteen synagogues existed in Tiberias according to the Talmud. It was a square building divided by two rows of columns. One of the mosaics bears a dedication inscription decorated with Jewish symbols: Lulav and Etrog. The . . . — Map (db m65333) HM
Israel, Northern District, Tsipori — The Citadel
The Citadel (perhaps a watch tower) was built during the crusader period on foundations from an earlier period. Some of the cornerstones are rubble-filled Roman sarcophagi. In the 18th Century the building was renovated by Dahr El-Omar, the . . . — Map (db m65412) HM
Israel, Northern District, Tsipori — The Theater
The Roman theater was built in the late first or early second century C.E. Carved into the bedrock on the steep northern slope of the hill. It's diameter is 72 m., and it seated 4000. The rows of seats constructed on the hewn bedrock were robbed . . . — Map (db m65405) HM
Israel, Northern District (Golan Regional Council), Had Nes — A Bit Hilani Type Palace — Tel Beit Tsaida — Bethsaida —
English Text: This spacious palace faced a paved courtyard that led to the city gate. Its wide entrance opened into a vestibule and it had a throne hall surrounded by eight service chambers. This palace is of Neo-Hittite . . . — Map (db m139345) HM
Israel, Northern District (Golan Regional Council), Had Nes — Ancient Road — Tel Beit Tsaida — Bethsaida —
English Text: This is the ancient road leading to the city gate. The road was paved during the 10th century B.C.E. and was in use until the 3rd century C.E. It was paved on a series of terraces seen in the slope. Farther ahead . . . — Map (db m139308) HM
Israel, Northern District (Golan Regional Council), Had Nes — Inner City Gate — Tel Beit Tsaida — Bethsaida —
English Text: The inner city gate includes four chambers, two on each side. In this chamber vessels for offerings at the high places were kept. The other three chambers served as granaries. The city gate was destroyed by the . . . — Map (db m139336) HM
Israel, Northern District (Golan Regional Council), Had Nes — Outer City Gate — Tel Beit Tsaida — Bethsaida —
English Text: The outer city gate was part of the heavy fortification that protected the city. It included an inner city gate and four solid towers. Between the two gates was a spacious paved courtyard. The gate of Bethsaida . . . — Map (db m139317) HM
Israel, Northern District (Golan Regional Council), Had Nes — Sacrificial High Place — Tel Beit Tsaida — Bethsaida —
English Text: The inhabitants of the kingdom of Geshur were Aramaens and the high places and ritual objects reflect their religion. On the sacrificial high place were found fragments of basins, horned altars, and an incised . . . — Map (db m139343) HM
Israel, Northern District (Golan Regional Council), Had Nes — Street — Tel Beit Tsaida — Bethsaida —
Whenever he went, to village or town or farm, they laid the sick in the streets and begged him to let them simply touch the edge of his cloak; and all who touched him were healed. Mark 6:56Map (db m139383) HM
Israel, Northern District (Golan Regional Council), Had Nes — The Fisherman House — Tel Beit Tsaida — Bethsaida —
Jesus was walking by the Sea of Galilee when he saw Simon and his brother Andrew at work with casting-nets in the lake; for they were fishermen. Jesus said to them, 'Come follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.' At once they left . . . — Map (db m139366) HM
Israel, Northern District (Golan Regional Council), Had Nes — The Winegrower House — Tel Beit Tsaida — Bethsaida —
English Text: Wine is like life to men, if you drink it in moderation. What is life to a man who is without wine? It has been created to make men glad. Sirach 31:27Map (db m139374) HM
Israel, Northern District (Golan Regional Council), Ramot — Baptistery — Kursi —
English Text: In the time of the most God - beloved Stephanos the priest and abbot was made the mosaic of the Photisterion in the month of December fourth indiction in the time of the pious and Christ - beloved our King Mauricius . . . — Map (db m139423) HM
Israel, Northern District (Golan Regional Council), Ramot — Kursi
Kursi, east of the Sea of Galilee, is identified with Gergessa, or with "the Land of the Gardarenes," of the New testament, where the miracle of the swine took place. (Luke 8:26-39) There were three main periods of settlement at Kursi: . . . — Map (db m139392) HM
Israel, Northern District (Golan Regional Council), Tel Beit Tsaida — The Courtyard — Tel Beit Tsaida — Bethsaida —
English Text: This is the heart of the ancient town. Here the public activities of the city took place. It was the center of commercial, juridicial, and religious life. "Now David was sitting between the two gates, and . . . — Map (db m139327) HM
Israel, Northern District (Kineret), Beit Yerah — Yardenit — The Baptismal Site on the Jordan River — Close to where Jesus was baptised —
According to the Gospel of John, scripture indicates that Jesus was baptized very close to this part of the “Jordan River”. Of the four Gospel writers, John was the only one present when Jesus was baptised by John the Baptist. In . . . — Map (db m44228) HM
Israel, Northern District (Kineret), Capharnaum — Capharnaum
Capharnaum the town of Jesus He left Nazareth and went to live in Capharnaum by the sea (Gospel of Matthew 4:13). He entered a boat, made a crossing, and came into his own town (Gospel of Matthew 9:1). The House of Simon Peter On . . . — Map (db m44108) HM
Israel, Northern District (Kineret), Capharnaum — The Synagogue of Capharnaum
The synagogue is made up of four units, namely the prayer hall, the eastern courtyard, the southern porch, and a side-room near the northwestern corner of the prayer hall. The prayer hall, with the faηade toward Jerusalem, is rectangular in . . . — Map (db m44055) HM
Israel, Northern District (Kineret), Tabgha — Church of Heptapegon — The Seven Springs
History 28–350 AD The Judeo-Christians of Capharnaum venerated a large rock upon which Jesus is said to have laid the bread and fish before he fed the five thousand (Mk 6:30-44) ca. 350 AD Used as an altar, the rock . . . — Map (db m44034) HM
Israel, Northern District (Lower Galilee Regional Council), Arbel — Arbel Ancient Synagogue / — Beautiful ruins of an ancient synagogue from the 4th century BCE. — בית הכנסת העתיק —
The synagogue was discovered in 1905 by H. Kohl and C. Waltzinger.

It is a square building belonging to the Galilean type of synagogue with a number of special components:

• The main entrance in the eastern wall. • The niche for holy . . . — Map (db m126103) HM

Israel, Northern District (Lower Galilee Regional Council), Givat Avni — Qarne Hittin National Park
Qarne Hittin is the crater of an ancient volcano that was active 4.3 million years ago. On the north and the south sides of the crater are the mountain's two "horns", which gave rise to the Hebrew name Qarne Hittin meaning "horns of wheat."

On . . . — Map (db m137054) HM

Israel, Northern District (Mevo'ot HaHermon Regional Council), Capernaum — Capharnaum
Capharnaum is located on the northwest shore of the Sea of Galilee, 16 kilometers northeast of modern Tiberias, 3 kilometers northeast of ancient Heptapegon (modern Tabgha), and 5 kilometers southwest of the upper Jordan River. The original Semitic . . . — Map (db m139434) HM
Israel, Northern District (Mevo'ot HaHermon Regional Council), Capharnaum — The Synagogue of Jesus
The Late Fourth Century A.D. "White Synagogue" Built Upon the Remains of the "Synagogue of Jesus"Map (db m64091) HM
Israel, Northern District (Mevo'ot HaHermon Regional Council), Chorazim — Chorazin in Christian Sources
English Text: "Corazin, a village in the Galilee, cursed by the Messiah, lies in ruins today." [Eusebius, a 4th century church patriarch] Jesus and his disciples preached and taught along the shores of Lake . . . — Map (db m140122) HM
Israel, Northern District (Mevo'ot HaHermon Regional Council), Chorazim — Chorazin's Synagogue
English Text: Chorazin's synagogue was built of hard, dark basalt stones, difficult to carve and engrave. Despite this, the builders and artists managed to carve hundreds of ornamental designs and architectural elements, geometric . . . — Map (db m140113) HM
Israel, Northern District (Mevo'ot HaHermon Regional Council), Chorazim — Conch
English Text: A decorated conch which flanked the Ark of the law. — Map (db m140475) HM
Israel, Northern District (Mevo'ot HaHermon Regional Council), Chorazim — Decorated Column
English Text: A decorated column, part of the Ark of the Law. — Map (db m140479) HM
Israel, Northern District (Mevo'ot HaHermon Regional Council), Chorazim — Medusa
English Text: In Greek mythology, Medusa was one of the three Gorgons. Whoever dared to look her in the face was instantly turned to stone. Perseus (averting his eyes) succeeded in killing her and the winged horse Pegasus was born from . . . — Map (db m140103) HM
Israel, Northern District (Mevo'ot HaHermon Regional Council), Chorazim — Seat of Moses
English Text: "Seat (Cathedra) of Moses" One of the important finds in the Chorazin synagogue is a decorated basalt chair with an Aramaic inscription which mentions Yudan, son of Yishmael, who donated of his wealth to the building of . . . — Map (db m140472) HM
Israel, Northern District (Mevo'ot HaHermon Regional Council), Chorazim — The Synagogue
English text: Chorazin's ancient synagogue was first excavated in 1905-1907 by a German expedition headed by H. Kohl and C. Watzinger, and in the 1920s and in 1939 by the Mandatory Department of Antiquities and the Hebrew University of . . . — Map (db m140488) HM
Israel, Northern District (Misgav Council), Yodfat — Ancient Yodfat
על גבעה זו שכנה בתקופת הבית השני העיירה . . . — Map (db m132004) HM
Israel, Northern District (Upper Galilee Regional Council), Ayelet HaShahar — "Solomonic Gate"
English Text: Dated to the 10th century BCE, this gate has six chambers and two towers. Similar gates have been uncovered at Megiddo and Gezer. A summary of King Solomon's activities indeed indicates that the king built Hazor, Megiddo . . . — Map (db m141365) HM
Israel, Northern District (Upper Galilee Regional Council), Ayelet HaShahar — Canaanite Temple
English Text: The southern temple was in use from the Middle Bronze Age until the Late Bronze Age (17th-14th centuries BCE). The temple was originally a prominent structure, with wide, well-constructed walls, and its three strata of . . . — Map (db m141372) HM
Israel, Northern District (Upper Galilee Regional Council), Ayelet HaShahar — Canaanite Temple
English Text: Canaanite Temple (c. 15th-14th centuries BCE) — Map (db m141422) HM
Israel, Northern District (Upper Galilee Regional Council), Ayelet HaShahar — Israelite Hazor
English Text: Israelite Hazor, from the 10th century BCE (the time of the United Monarchy), included only the upper city. The area of the Israelite city extended over some 35 dunams, and its inhabitants numbered between 1,000 and 1,500. . . . — Map (db m141415) HM
Israel, Northern District (Upper Galilee Regional Council), Ayelet HaShahar — Palace of the Canaanite Kings of Hazor
English Text: This palace, which served the kings of Hazor during the 14th-13th centuries BCE, is of a ceremonial nature (The administrative palace is to be sought elsewhere on the site). The plan, consisting of a courtyard and a throne . . . — Map (db m141407) HM
Israel, Northern District (Upper Galilee Regional Council), Ayelet HaShahar — Tel Hazor - The Largest Tel in Israel
English Text: The story of Hazor is represented by 21 layers of settlement. The history of Hazor can be divided into two chapters: Canaanite Hazor and Israelite Hazor. Canaanite Hazor You are now in the upper city and . . . — Map (db m141417) HM
Israel, Northern District (Upper Galilee Regional Council), Ayelet HaShahar — Tel Hazor National Park — World Heritage Site — The Biblical Tels - Hazor, Megiddo, Beer Sheba —
English Text: The biblical tels of Hazor, Megiddo, and Beer Sheba were inscribed in 2005 by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) as World Heritage Sites with outstanding universal value. They are . . . — Map (db m141414) HM
Israel, Northern District (Upper Galilee Regional Council), Ayelet HaShahar — Water System
English Text: Constructed during the reign of King Ahab (the 9th century BCE), it was designed to supply the inhabitants of the city with water in times of siege. A vertical shaft was dug through the earlier occupation layers, at the . . . — Map (db m141421) HM
Israel, Northern District (Upper Galilee Regional Council), Dan — Entrance Gate
English Text: The entrance gate to Dan from the time of the Israelite Kingdom. – Gate chamber – Canopied structure for a king or a judge – Paved, outer piazza for chariots English Text on Marker . . . — Map (db m141428) HM
Israel, Northern District (Upper Galilee Regional Council), Dan — The Abraham Gate
English Text: And when Abram heard that his brother was taken captive, he led forth his trained men, born in his house, three hundred and eighteen, and pursued them as far as Dan. Genesis 14:14 Exterior entry . . . — Map (db m141448) HM
Israel, Northern District (Upper Galilee Regional Council), Dan — The Canaanite Gate — "Gate of the Three Arches"
English text: This gate which was approached on a stepped path, is built of three arches. The arches, the piers supporting them, and the towers flanking the gate are constructed of sun-baked bricks and were covered with white plaster. . . . — Map (db m141441) HM
Israel, Northern District (Upper Galilee Regional Council), Snir — The Court of Nemesis
English Text: Nemesis was the goddess of vengeance and Roman imperial justice. Her long and narrow court was built in 178 CE in front of a great niche in which her statue was placed. A Greek inscription above the niche mentions the names . . . — Map (db m64781) HM
Israel, Northern District (Upper Galilee Regional Council), Snir — The Court of Pan & the Nymphs
English Text: The stepped and paved courtyard on which you are standing was built in the mid-first century CE. An artificial cave was quarried in the cliff-face opposite the courtyard, and there the statue of Pan was placed. Pagan . . . — Map (db m64754) HM
Israel, Northern District (Upper Galilee Regional Council), Snir — The Grotto of the God Pan — מערת האל פאן
English Text: The cave is the nucleus beside which the sacred sanctuary was built. In this "abode of the shepherd god," pagan cult began as early as the 3rd century BCE. The ritual sacrifices were cast into a natural abyss reaching the . . . — Map (db m64738) HM
Israel, Northern District (Upper Galilee Regional Council), Snir — The Sanctuary of Pan
English Text: The conquests of Alexander the Great (3rd c. BCE) brought the Greeks to the East, and to Banyas. The Greeks were taken by the natural beauty of the site, touched particularly by the cave in which the springs welled. It is . . . — Map (db m64764) HM
Israel, Northern District (Upper Galilee Regional Council), Snir — The Temple of Augustus — מקד ש אוגוסטוס
English Text: Built in 19 BCE, during the reign of Herod the Great, in honor of the Roman Emperor Augustus. The coin at the top of this text, shows the facade of the temple. In front of you is the western wall of the hall with . . . — Map (db m65177) HM
Israel, Northern District (Upper Galilee Regional Council), Snir — The Temple of Pan and The Dancing Goats
English Text: This structure was built around 220 CE. Only parts of this temple survived. Among them are the north wall, part of a semicircular hall (apse), and a semicircular niche behind it. This same structure is depicted on the . . . — Map (db m141468) HM
Israel, Northern District (Upper Galilee Regional Council), Snir — The Temple of Zeus
English Text: Built around 96 CE in the days of Emperor Trajan, for the city's 100th anniversary. A marble inscription found at the site implies that it was a temple for Pan and for Zeus of Heliopolis (the city of Ba'albek). Only the . . . — Map (db m64768) HM
Israel, Northern District (Upper Galilee Regional Council), Snir — The Tomb Temple of the Sacred Goats
English Text: This building was erected around 220 CE, in the days of Emperor Elagabalos. The bones of goats that took part in the rituals were buried in the rectangular niches in the main hall, together with offerings of pottery, glass . . . — Map (db m141458) HM
Israel, Southern District, Ashkelon — History of Ashqelon
Ashqelon is a coastal city, located on the Via Maris. Its plentiful water sources and fertile soil account for its prominence throughout the ages. Its name, Ashqelon, derived from the term Sheqel, a weight-measure, attests to its role as a trade sea . . . — Map (db m132462) HM
Israel, Southern District, Ashkelon — Remains of the Muslim City
Before you are remains of the moat and the wall that enclosed the Muslim city. In 1153 CE, the Crusaders conquered Ashqelon from the Muslims. In 1187 the Muslims, led by Saladin, drove the Crusaders out of the city, destroyed it and blocked up the . . . — Map (db m132466) HM
Israel, Southern District, Ashkelon — Tel Ashqelon - the Canaanite City
The Middle Bronze period, Ashqelon was a prominent port town, founded ca. 1950 BCE, with a population of roughly 15,000. Its inhabitants farmed for a living and exported their agricultural produce - wine, olive oil, wheat, sheep and cattle - to . . . — Map (db m132496) HM
Israel, Southern District, Ashkelon — The Canaanite City Gate
This is the most ancient arched gate in the world. It consists of an arched corridor with arched openings on both ends. The gate was constructed in approximately 1850 BCE as part of the city’s fortification system, and is built mostly of mud bricks . . . — Map (db m132499) HM
Israel, Southern District, Ashkelon — The Canaanite Fortifications of Ashqelon
The Canaanite city was established in approximately 1950 BCE and some 15,000 people lived here. The 600-dunam city was fortified by a wall and a moat about 100 years after it was established, in defense against the Egyptian threat. The wall stood . . . — Map (db m132494) HM
Israel, Southern District, Ashkelon — The Sanctuary of the Silver Calf
Before you are the remains of a sanctuary constructed within the stone glacis near the road leading from the beach to the city. The silver-coated bronze statuette of a calf was discovered inside a shrine-shaped pottery vessel in a storeroom of . . . — Map (db m132497) HM
Israel, Southern District, Mitspe Ramon — The Human Spirit and the Spirit of the Earth — "Thine are the heavens, thine also the earth" (Psalm 89:11)
Even from space, Makhtesh Ramon appears as a masterpiece of the spirit of the earth. This is the genesis landscape from which Ilan Ramon's name is taken. This is the most fitting place to commemorate the Space Shuttle Columbia crew, who perished on . . . — Map (db m126980) HM
Israel, Southern District, Be'er Sheva — Palmach Negev Brigade Memorial — Contemporary Art in a Unique Setting
The story of the Negev Brigade in the War of Independence (Nov, 1947 – March, 1949) The Brigade, whose ranks included local settlers, fought courageously against superior forces – Arab irregulars and the invading Egyptian Army . . . — Map (db m92482) WM
Israel, Southern District (Lakhish Regional Council), Lachish — Artist's Rendering of the City Gate — From the Time of King Hezekiah
Here you see the two outer gatehouses, one on top of the other. look through the scope to get an idea of the size of the lower gatehouse. It was built at the time of King Asa (908-867 BCE) or King Jehoshaphat (870-867 BCE), and continued in use . . . — Map (db m132577) HM
Israel, Southern District (Lakhish Regional Council), Lachish — Assault by Sennacherib's Army — The Siege Ramp
The Assyrian army built a huge stone ramp against the city walls. This ramp allowed the attackers to bring up battering rams to breach the wall. The base of the ramp you see here is about 70 meters wide and 16 meters high. As in other places in . . . — Map (db m132530) HM
Israel, Southern District (Lakhish Regional Council), Lachish — Confronting Enemy Threats - the City’s Fortifications
Lachish was situated close to the western border of the Kingdom of Judah, facing the Philistines cities and on the to Egypt. Because of the city’s location, the kings of Judah built particularly strong fortifications for it, including a number of . . . — Map (db m132608) HM
Israel, Southern District (Lakhish Regional Council), Lachish — Might and Authority - the Royal Palace
The palace apparently served as the seat of the city’s governor representing the king of Judah. The huge palace complex from the time of King Hezekiah extended over more than 12.5 dunams (1.25 hectares) and included a large courtyard, a central . . . — Map (db m132611) HM
Israel, Southern District (Lakhish Regional Council), Lachish — Tel Lachish National Park
The biblical, city of Lachish is identified with the archaeological mound you see before you, on the edge of Wadi Lachish, along which ran the main road from the coastal plain to the Hebron Mountains. Settlement began here in the Neolithic . . . — Map (db m132634) HM
Israel, Southern District (Lakhish Regional Council), Lachish — Testimony to Approaching Disaster - the Lachish Letters
In this room some 20 potsherds were discovered, bearing inscriptions in ink (ostraca) in ancient Hebrew. These letters are dated to the last years before the Babylonian invasion of the Land of Israel (beginning of the sixth century BCE). The . . . — Map (db m132606) HM
Israel, Southern District (Lakhish Regional Council), Lachish — Welcome to the City Gate
The entrance to the fortified city from the time of the kings of Judah was via an impressive gateway enclosure consisting of an outer and an inner gatehouse, between which was an open paved plaza. The gateway was the beating heart of the city - . . . — Map (db m132598) HM
Israel, Southern District (Tamar Regional Council), Arad — Bathing in Roman Style
"The fittings of the interior - apartments, colonnades and baths - were of manifold variety and sumptuous ..." Josephus Flavius Beyond the human need for cleanliness, the bathhouse also had a social function. Bathing and the . . . — Map (db m64079) HM
Israel, Southern District (Tamar Regional Council), Arad — Columbarium Tower (dovecot)
Why did the king raise doves on the mountain? There were three columbarium towers on Masada. The one in front of us was used as a dovecot in its ground floor, and as a watchtower in its upper story. In the walls of the dovecot are several . . . — Map (db m64068) HM
Israel, Southern District (Tamar Regional Council), Arad — The "Casemate of the Scrolls"
A large and rare concentration of finds from the time of the revolt was found in a corner of the room of the wall in which we stand: inscribed sheets of papyrus, fragments of scrolls, silver shekel coins, textiles, sandals, and glass vessels and . . . — Map (db m64071) HM
Israel, Southern District (Tamar Regional Council), Arad — The Breaching Point — נקודת הפריצה
Here the siege of Masada ended. The ramp that the Romans had built up to the summit of the mountain reached to below this point. At the top of the ramp rose the siege tower, and in it was the battering ram with which the Romans assaulted the . . . — Map (db m64069) HM
Israel, Southern District (Tamar Regional Council), Arad — The Discovery Location of the "Lots"
"...then, having chosen by lot ten of their number to dispatch the rest... these, having unswervingly slaughtered all, ordained the same rule of the lot for one another, that he on whom it fell should slay first the nine nd then himself last of . . . — Map (db m64101) HM
Israel, Southern District (Tamar Regional Council), Arad — The Rebel's Community Life
How to organize community life under siege? Near the western entrance square were discovered large concentrations of inscribed pottery shards (ostraca) from the period of the revolt. They bear names, combinations of letters or single letters in . . . — Map (db m64077) HM
Israel, Southern District (Tamar Regional Council), Arad — The Synagogue
"Long since, my brave men, we determined neither to serve the Romans nor any other save God ..." Josephus Flavius The rebels' way of life on Masada required a building suitable for community meetings and Torah readings. This . . . — Map (db m64076) HM
Israel, Southern District (Tamar Regional Council), Arad — The Water Gate — שער המים
The path that climbed to Masada from the west via the cisterns terminated at this gate. Visitors to the mountain and the beasts of burden that carried water took this path to the summit of Masada. A channel starting at the gate carried to some of . . . — Map (db m64148) HM
Israel, Southern District (Tamar Regional Council), Ein Gedi — Masada
Generations go by and the mountain remains. Herod built for himself a magnificent fortress-palace, and the Romans and the Jewish rebels added a drama of siege and slaughter. Here the early monks of the Judean desert sought communion with the creator . . . — Map (db m128331) HM
Israel, Tel Aviv District (Jaffa), Tel Aviv-Yafo — The House of Simon the Tanner — Old City of Jaffa — The Gate to the Ancient World —
Various Christian traditions tell the story of Simon the Tanner, who lived in this house and hosted Peter the Apostle here. It was here that Peter raised Tabitha fom the dead and saw his famous vision in which he was commanded to eat animals . . . — Map (db m132302) HM
Israel, Tel Aviv District (Jaffa), Tel Aviv-Yafo — The Jaffa Port — Old City of Jaffa — The Gate to the Ancient World —
The Jaffa port is one of the oldest ports in the world, in almost continuous operation for the past 4,000 years. The port takes advantage of calcareous sandstone (kurkar) reefs that create a natural breakwater and safe haven. Beginning in the . . . — Map (db m132314) HM
Israel, Tel Aviv District (Jaffa), Tel Aviv-Yafo — The Lion Temple — Old City of Jaffa — The Gate to the Ancient World —
The temple got its name from a lioness' skull that was found within it, which was apparently used in a ritual performed here at the time of the Canaanites, and from an altar that served in the worship of the Canaanite goddess Ashtoreth, who is . . . — Map (db m132315) HM
Israel, Tel Aviv District (Jaffa), Tel Aviv-Yafo — The Whale Sculpture — Old City of Jaffa — The Gate to the Ancient World —
According to the biblical book of Jonah. God told Jonah to go to Nineveh and tell its inhabitants that they had sinned. But Jonah refused and instead, boarded a ship in the Jaffa port bound for Tarshish. During the voyage a storm broke out. Jonah . . . — Map (db m132301) HM

172 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement