Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Burnet County Texas Historical Markers

 
Bertram Marker in context image, Touch for more information
By Richard Denney, November 18, 2011
Bertram Marker in context
Texas (Burnet County), Bertram — 9698 — Bertram
The town of Bertram was founded in 1882 when the Austin and Northwestern Railroad established a route through the area. The community was named for Rudolph Bertram, an Austin merchant who was instrumental in the development of the rail line. Many . . . — Map (db m27426) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Bertram — 9699 — Bertram School
When Bertram was founded in 1882 along the Austin & Northwestern Railroad, one of the first structures erected was a combination school, Sunday School, and Masonic Lodge hall. Rudolph Bertram, Austin Railroad executive for whom the town was named, . . . — Map (db m27427) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Bertram — 9700 — Black's Fort
Built as a defense against the Indians in 1855 by William Black (1815-1907) on land owned by him. In the stockade, constructed of cedar logs, sentries were kept on guard on moonlight nights. Guns and ammunition for public use were kept here. . . . — Map (db m27429) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Bertram — 9722 — Joppa Community
Some of the first settlers in this farming and ranching community were the William Alexander Faires family in 1874 and the Martin Luther Ater family the next year. The settlement was called "Pool Branch" for a nearby pool formed by a waterfall. In . . . — Map (db m27539) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Bertram — 9727 — Mahomet Cemetery
This cemetery, with interments dating back to the 1850s, became a community graveyard for the Sycamore Springs and Mahomet rural communities. In 1909 J. W. Williams and J. W. and Nellie Greer deeded the cemetery property to the community of Mahomet. . . . — Map (db m27596) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Bertram — 9728 — Mahomet-Sycamore Springs Community
Settlement in this part of Burnet County began in the 1850s. Two early communities were Mahomet and Sycamore Springs, originally located 8 miles from each other. Pioneers of Mahomet were George Ater, William G. Hall, and Mr. Sanford, while Sycamore . . . — Map (db m27597) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Bertram — 9734 — Mount Horeb Lodge
Chartered Jan. 21, 1854; met in log schoolhouse. Erected own lodge hall 1856 on land given by Grand Master Sam Mather and B. K. Stewart. First floor used as church and school. A fire in 1915 razed hall. Lodge rebuilt here 1916 on land given by G. . . . — Map (db m27637) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Bertram — 9735 — Mount Zion Cemetery
John Jennings (1802-1867), his wife Sarah C. (Sally) (1806-1879), and their family came to this area in 1851. The settlement which grew up around their farm became known as Jennings Creek community. After Burnet County was created in 1852, John . . . — Map (db m27638) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Bertram — 9747 — Shady Grove Community
In the 1850s and 60s families settled on this farm and ranch land along the Middle Gabriel river. The Old Austin-Lampasas and Burnet-Belton roads intersected here. Six acres deeded by Alexander M. Barton in 1877 later became the site of a . . . — Map (db m27701) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Bertram — 9741 — Site of Prairie Point Community
Anglo settlement of this part of Burnet County began in the 1850s. By the 1870s settlers had established cattle and sheep ranches as well as a number of family farms. A community school opened in 1882 and remained in operation until 1921. The . . . — Map (db m27694) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Bertram — 9703 — The Bryson Place
John H. Bryson (1850-1930) and his wife Milda (Barton) (1852-1952) had this home constructed on their land in 1906 by local builder Marcus Langford. It is located on a site purchased in 1855 by Milda's uncle Welborn Barton and later owned by her . . . — Map (db m27433) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Bertram — 9748 — The Village of South Gabriel
The South Gabriel Post Office opened in Postmaster Thomas Lewiston's mercantile store on Sept. 29, 1871. The village, named for the South San Gabriel River, was also called Lewiston. Located on the Austin-Burnet Road, the hamlet soon had two . . . — Map (db m27727) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Briggs — 13181 — Briggs State Bank
The Briggs State Bank was chartered on May 27, 1909. Constructed that spring, this limestone and brick building is typical of a commercial architecture style once popular in Texas. It features a three-bay front with central entry and transoms, and . . . — Map (db m27432) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Briggs — 9742 — Prairie View Cemetery
Pioneer settlers in this vicinity met together for worship services in the Gum Springs Schoolhouse until 1892, when Stephen Taylor deeded land at this site for church and cemetery purposes. This historic cemetery began in the churchyard of the First . . . — Map (db m27695) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Briggs — 9702 — The Community of Briggs
Pioneers mainly from the Old South settled here on the Aaron Boyce land grant in the 1860s and 70s. They had a school, and held church services, at Gum Springs in the 1880s. In 1888 a post office opened at Taylor's Gin Store; this was renamed in . . . — Map (db m120919) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Burnet — 9695 — Airy Mount Barn
Kentucky native Adam Rankin Johnson (1834-1922) came to Texas in 1854. After attaining the rank of brigadier general in the Confederate Army, Johnson later settled in Burnet County where he was active in business and civic affairs. In 1882 he . . . — Map (db m27397) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Burnet — 9697 — Bethel Cemetery
The Rev. Richard Howard (1817-1882) moved to this area of Burnet County in 1855. The frontier settlement he joined would later be known as the Bethel community. In 1874 he deeded two acres at this site for community use. The first recorded burial . . . — Map (db m27428) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Burnet — 9704 — Burnet County
Formed from portions of Travis, Williamson and Bell counties. Created Feb. 5, 1852; organized August 28, 1852. Named in honor of David G. Burnet (1788-1870), president of the Provisional Government of the Republic of Texas in 1836. County seat, . . . — Map (db m27463) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Burnet — 9708 — Burnet County Jail
Built 1884 of hand-hewn rock. Has apartment for sheriff, who is also jailer. On second floor the county library was founded. — Map (db m27464) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Burnet — 13343 — Dobyville Cemetery
The Dobyville Cemetery is the last visible remnant of the community of Dobyville. Settled in the 1850s, and named for the town’s location on a white adobe rock hill. The cemetery contains more than 230 marked graves, between 60 and 70 graves are . . . — Map (db m27485) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Burnet — 9721 — General Adam R. Johnson
Home County of Texas Confederate General Adam R. JohnsonJoined C. S. Army 1861. Cavalry scout with Gen. Nathan B. Forrest 1861-62. Commanded Partisan Rangers 1862-64 executing daring exploits behind enemy lines in Kentucky area. Took . . . — Map (db m27537) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Burnet — 9756 — George Whitaker Home
Built 1870 by George Whitaker, early settler. Of hand-hewn rock. Has inside cistern. Stones from old courthouse used in 1939 addition. — Map (db m27737) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Burnet — 9719 — Holland Springs — (300 Yards West)
Indians had probably visited these clear, cool springs for centuries when, in 1847, Henry E. McCulloch established a Ranger camp here, on Hamilton Creek. A year later, Samuel E. Holland (1826-1917), a Georgian, decided while visiting the camp that . . . — Map (db m27533) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Burnet — 9720 — Hoover's Valley Cemetery
Established in 1850 by the Rev. Isaac Hoover, of local Methodist Protestant church. He came from Tennessee; soon initiated services in nearby oak grove. Oldest stone dates from about 1850. Another grave is of Whitlock family, killed by Indians. . . . — Map (db m27534) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Burnet — 11773 — Lake Victor Lodge No. 1011, A. F. & A. M.
Sponsored by the nearby Robert E. Lee Lodge, Lake Victor Lodge No. 1011, A. F. & A. M. was formally established in December 1909 during the 73rd Annual Grand Communications of the Grand Lodge of Texas. The first meeting of the Lake Victor Lodge took . . . — Map (db m27578) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Burnet — 9725 — Longhorn Cavern Administration Building
Longhorn Cavern opened as a state park in 1932. From 1934 to 1942, Company 854 of the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) worked here to explore and develop the cavern. Using hand labor and native materials, the CCC workers built this structure in a . . . — Map (db m27593) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Burnet — 9724 — Longhorn Caverns
Rich in history and folklore. A young geologic formation, only a few million years old. Bones of elephant, bison, bear, deer, other animals have been found here. When white men came to area in 1840's, Indians knew the caverns; Rangers once found and . . . — Map (db m27594) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Burnet — 9726 — Magill Family Cemetery
Surrounded by a rock wall, the small pioneer family cemetery just west of this site is located on land that was once part of the William H. Magill homestead. Magill, a veteran of the Battle of San Jacinto, moved his family to Burnet County in 1850. . . . — Map (db m27595) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Burnet — 15943 — Mount Blanc School
In 1883, Mount Blanc School organized out of the Oatmeal School System. J. J. McGlothin deeded land for the school site and served with S. H. Campbell and J. T. Chamberlain as the original trustees. Several members of the Chamberlain family taught . . . — Map (db m28884) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Burnet — 9757 — Mr. and Mrs. Jacob Wolf
Jacob Wolf (1812-1874) and wife Adeline Faulkner Wolf (1814-1870) came from Tennessee to Texas about 1850. Obtaining land grant in Burnet County, they settled at Dobyville, and were pioneers, supplying their own provisions, buildings, medicines, and . . . — Map (db m27738) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Burnet — 13164 — Naruna Baptist Church
Naruna Baptist Church Settlers came to the Naruna area as early as the 1840s, and the town was named by its first postmaster, William M. Spitler, who came to Texas on the riverboat Naruna. Residents formed Providence Baptist Church in July 1877 . . . — Map (db m27639) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Burnet — 15408 — Naruna Cemetery
William M. Spitler became Naruna’s first postmaster in 1878, and he named the town after the riverboat that carried him to Texas from Tennessee. At that time, Naruna was an agricultural community with store, school, churches, fraternal lodges and . . . — Map (db m27640) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Burnet — 9708 — Old Cook Home
Built 1873 in Victorian style, with large bay window, solid walnut staircase, three fireplaces; was remodeled but retains original floor plan. House was bought 1890 by Judge J. G. Cook, a noted lawyer, and remained in Cook family several generations. — Map (db m27480) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Burnet — 9739 — Oldest Commercial Building in Burnet
Logan Vandeveer (1815-55), a hero of the 1836 Battle of San Jacinto, came here about 1849 as a Fort Croghan beef supplier. He became first United States Postmaster in Burnet and in 1854 built this native stone structure. With a partner named Taylor, . . . — Map (db m27693) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Burnet — 9723 — Peter Kerr 1795-1861
One of "Old 300" of Stephen F. Austin's first colony from Pennsylvania, took part in 1836 war for Texas Independence, he made and lost several stakes. In 1851 bought a league and labor of Burnet County land, including site of Fort Croghan. . . . — Map (db m29150) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Burnet — 9744 — Rocky Rest
Built 1860 by Gen. Adam R. Johnson. Of hand-hewn stone, logs. High windows and thick walls kept out Indians. Once housed a school. — Map (db m27698) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Burnet — Site of Fort Croghan
Established by Lieut. C. H. Tyler, United States Second Dragoons, by order of the War Department, March 18, 1849, as a protection to frontier settlers against hostile Indians. Abandoned in December, 1853 as the settlements had extended farther west. — Map (db m20644) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Burnet — 9750 — Site of Town of Strickling
Once a busy rural community. Named for Mrs. Martha (Webster) Strickling, who settled here in 1853 with husband Marmaduke. As child, she survived killing of some 30 settlers in infamous Webster Massacre near Leander, and months of Indian captivity. . . . — Map (db m27730) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Burnet — 9696 — The Badger Building
Completed about 1883, this two-story limestone structure is representative of other commercial buildings located on the Courthouse Square in the 1880s. It was built for local financier Dr. W. H. Westfall and Captain Brandt Badger (b. 1839), a native . . . — Map (db m27398) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Burnet — 9705 — The Burnet Bulletin
Established in the early 1870s, this weekly newspaper has been in continuous operation for more than one hundred years. The first editor on record was George Whitaker, who served in that position until 1874. In 1898, the paper was sold to L. C. and . . . — Map (db m27435) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Burnet — 9715 — The Galloway House
The original part of this house was built in 1856. The adobe and rock residence, owned by Maj. Hugh H. Calvert, also served as an inn. Local landowner Enoch Brooks bought the home in 1885 and made major additions to the structure. Significant . . . — Map (db m27492) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Burnet — 9746 — The Russell-McFarland Homestead
William H. and Mary Russell built this Victorian residence in 1883-84. Russell, a veteran of the Civil War (1861-65), headed the Burnet school system about 15 years. Sold in 1895, the house had such tenants as J. W. Edgar, later state commissioner . . . — Map (db m27700) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Marble Falls — 9740 — 1910 Post Office Building
Established in 1884, the original Marble Falls Post Office was built south of the Colorado River. William P. Cochran, appointed postmaster in 1901, built this structure in 1910 and leased it to the U. S. Government for use as a post office. It . . . — Map (db m27396) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Marble Falls — 9701 — Brandt Badger House
Brandt Badger (1839-1920), a veteran of the Confederate Army, moved to Burnet from Gonzales in 1885, and in 1887, helped found Marble Falls. He built this house in 1888 of granite from nearby "Granite Mountain". The stones were cut from quarry . . . — Map (db m27425) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Marble Falls — 9706 — Christian-Matern House
Juliet Johnson, daughter of the founder of Marble Falls, married George Christian in 1887. He was one of ten owners of the Texas Mining & Improvement Company that developed the town. The first town lots were sold in 1887, and in 1892 this house was . . . — Map (db m27478) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Marble Falls — 9714 — Conrad Fuchs House
Conrad L. Fuchs, born in Germany in 1834, came to Texas in 1845 with his parents, Pastor and Mrs. Adolf Fuchs, who settled in Austin County. The Fuchs family moved into this area of Burnet County in 1853. In 1861, Conrad Fuchs married Anna E. . . . — Map (db m29148) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Marble Falls — 9709 — Crownover Chapel
Backbone Valley's first public building, started 1859 on 7-acre tract donated that year by heirs of settler Jefferson Barton. Finished 1870, chapel was named for the Rev. Arter Crownover (1810-76), whose preaching of Methodist faith opened its use. . . . — Map (db m27482) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Marble Falls — 11772 — Dead Man's Hole
Entomologist Ferdinand Lueders made the earliest recorded discovery of this cave in 1821. Notorious in the Civil War era, the hole is believed to have been the dumping ground for up to 17 bodies, including those of pro-Union Judge John R. Scott and . . . — Map (db m27483) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Marble Falls — 9743 — Governor O. M. Roberts' House
President of the 1861 Secession Convention and a Confederate officer, Oran M. Robert (1815-1898) served as governor of Texas from 1879 to 1883. After leaving office, he became a law professor at the University of Texas. He built this cottage at . . . — Map (db m27696) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Marble Falls — 13357 — Granite Mountain
"This 866-foot dome of solid pink granite, covering 180 acres, contains the largest quarry of its kind in the United States. This mountain, like all granite formations, was once melted rock similar to lava. As the molten rock cooled thousands of . . . — Map (db m20641) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Marble Falls — 9718 — Hoag-Faubion-Fuchs House
William H. Hoag, an electrical engineer from New York City, and his wife Beatrice built this house in 1910. The Hoags sold the house to local farmer and rancher Sam Faubion in 1914. Faubion rented the home to rancher, farmer, piano tuner, and Burnet . . . — Map (db m27532) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Marble Falls — 9729 — Marble Falls Depot
The town of Marble Falls was laid out in 1887. Texas Mining & Improvement Co. deeded land for a depot to Austin & Northwestern Railroad. This building was erected in 1893 and then Southern Pacific Railroad bought the line and property. Area . . . — Map (db m27598) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Marble Falls — 9730 — Marble Falls Factory Site
The potential of water power on the Colorado River led town developer Gen. Adam R. Johnson and Farmers Alliance members to build a cotton mill on this site in the 1890s. The two-story stone factory, 300 ft. long and 100 ft. wide, was erected for the . . . — Map (db m27599) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Marble Falls — 9731 — Marble Falls School Building
Adam R. Johnson donated land at this site for construction of the present two-story granite building. Completed in 1891, it originally housed the Marble Falls Alliance University. Near Backbone Creek, east of this main building, a wooden boarding . . . — Map (db m27600) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Marble Falls — 9732 — Michel's Drug Store
Ernst Gustav Michel (1865-1930), a native of Germany, and his wife, Lillie Agnes, opened a drugstore at this site in 1891. After fire destroyed the first store in 1905, Michel built a 3-story edifice here. The first floor housed the drugstore and . . . — Map (db m27635) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Marble Falls — 9710 — Otto Ebeling House
Banker Otto Ebeling (1863-1935) built this Victorian residence for his wife, Emille (Giesecke), and their four children shortly after moving to Marble Falls in 1891. Ebeling sold the property in 1913 when he moved to Austin. Over the years the . . . — Map (db m27487) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Marble Falls — 9745 — The Roper Hotel
George C. and Elizabeth Roper constructed this double-galleried hotel building about 1888. In the growing town of Marble Falls, The Roper Hotel became a popular stop for visiting businessmen and dignitaries. It was purchased by W. F. Smith in 1926 . . . — Map (db m27699) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Marble Falls — 9754 — The Tobey Community Cemetery
The Nat Tobey family moved from Indiana to northeast Burnet County in the 1850s. Sons Avery and Samuel bought land here in Backbone Valley in 1868. At the death of N. W. Tobey, aged 12, this cemetery was opened in 1872. A church and school stood . . . — Map (db m27736) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Oakalla — 17318 — Gillum Cemetery
Abslom Barton Gillum (1836-1923) and his wife, Hannah Emmaline, arrived in Texas from Alabama in 1872. In 1880, Gillum bought land at the present site of the cemetery. A.B. Gillum served in the Civil War, was Postmaster of Oakalla, was recognized as . . . — Map (db m70266) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Oakalla — 9736 — Oakalla
The first settlers in this rich farm and ranch land arrived in the 1850s. Oakalla Post Office was established May 19, 1879. Schools were private until a cooperative was built which provided classrooms on the second floor. Oakalla boasted a doctor, . . . — Map (db m27641) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Oakalla — 13389 — Smith Cemetery
James Gibson Smith, Jr., a native of Tennessee, married Sarah A. James, a native of Arkansas, soon after settling in this part of Burnet county in 1850. Together they raised eight children and set aside this site as the family cemetery. Their . . . — Map (db m27702) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Oakalla — 13394 — Tobey Cemetery
This cemetery, which began with the burial of Mary J. Tobey in 1872, overlooks a stretch of the Lampasas River valley named for Nathaniel Wheeler Tobey (1810-1892). A blacksmith from Connecticut, Tobey settled on several hundred acres here about . . . — Map (db m27734) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Oatmeal — 9738 — Early Oatmeal School
This building, once a combined school and church, was erected in 1869 in Oatmeal, second oldest community in Burnet County. The settlement, founded in 1849, had a post office from 1853 to 1876. This limestone structure was successor to the first . . . — Map (db m27692) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Oatmeal — 9737 — Oatmeal Cemetery
Some of the earliest pioneers of the Oatmeal community are interred in this cemetery. The oldest documented burials are those of Mary Smith and her year-old daughter, Fanny, both of whom died on September 16, 1854. Mr. and Mrs. J. L. Roundtree . . . — Map (db m27690) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Smithwick — 9752 — Henry Thomas Lodge, A.F. & A.M.
In settlement started by Noah Smithwick, when he built water mill here in 1855. In 1861 he moved to California, but the mill continued in operation. A. M. Cox erected this building in 1874. Minister Henry Thomas moved the Lodge (chartered June . . . — Map (db m20640) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Smithwick — 11774 — Smithwick Cemetery
The history of this community cemetery dates to 1854 when 18-year-old Rebecca Chambers died and was buried here. Rebecca, who reportedly was ill while traveling past here with the family of her sister and brother-in-law, Nancy and E. G. Evans, asked . . . — Map (db m104023) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Spicewood — 13382 — Rockvale
The once thriving community of Rockvale began as a pioneer settlement in the 1850s. A log cabin built in 1855 served as a school and church. A baptist church was erected in 1856 and had eight charter members. Over 36 acres of land were deeded by . . . — Map (db m27697) HM

67 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.