347 entries match your criteria. The first 100 are listed. Next 100 ⊳
Historical Markers and War Memorials in Orleans Parish, Louisiana
Adjacent to Orleans Parish, Louisiana
▶ Jefferson Parish (85) ▶ Plaquemines Parish (5) ▶ St. Bernard Parish (62) ▶ St. Tammany Parish (48)
Touch name on list to highlight map location.
Touch blue arrow, or on map, to go there.
| Erected in 1896 To replace the Duverjé Plantation House which served as the courthouse from 1866 until it burned in the great Algiers Fire of 1895.Barthelmy Duverjé acquired title to the Plantation in 1805 and in 1842 the property was subdivided . . . — — Map (db m116882) HM|
| Andre Seguin built the first dry dock in Algiers in 1819 on land purchased from Barthelemy Duverjé. As the City did not want ship building and repair businesses on their side of the river, those businesses blossomed along this side of the river, . . . — — Map (db m116923) HM|
| Henry Allen (1871-1952) trumpet player and
bandleader, and Henry "Red” Allen, Jr.,
(1906-1967), trumpet player, singer and
bandleader, lived here at 414 Newton Street
from 1906 until 1917. Henry Allen led the
Allen Brass Band an . . . — — Map (db m160931) HM|
| Henry Allen (1871-1952), trumpet player & bandleader, and Henry “Red” Allen, Jr. (1906-1967), trumpet player, singer, & bandleader, lived here at 921 Verret Street from 1918 until 1922. Henry Allen led the Allen Brass Band-- an . . . — — Map (db m163561) HM|
| Here on the Jourdan Plantation American Forces under General David Morgan defended the west side of the Mississippi River while General Andrew Jackson defended the east side on January 8, 1815. The War of 1812 ended with the American victory in . . . — — Map (db m116881) HM|
| Norman Brownlee (1896-1967), pianist, bandleader, instrument salesman, & Musicians’ Union official, lived here at 407 Delaronde Street from 1912 until 1922. He led his own Brownlee’s Orchestra from 1920 to 1930, which included Emmet Hardy, Arthur . . . — — Map (db m162898) HM|
| Panel 1 Danny Barker and Louise Dupont were married in 1930 and moved to New York. "Blue Lu" Barker spent a decade recording for Decca, Apollo and Capitol, specializing in the blues and saucy songs such as her husband's "Don't You Make Me High" and . . . — — Map (db m163873) HM|
| Lord Beaconsfield Landry, also known as L.B. Landry, was born March 11, 1879 in Donaldsonville, Louisiana. At a very early age, he was sent to Gilbert Academy, which was at that time located in Baldwin, LA. He later attended Fisk University, where . . . — — Map (db m116883) HM|
| Algiers Point evolved from the plantation of Barthelemy Duverjé. The Duverjé home was built c. 1812-16, and served as the Algiers Courthouse from 1866. It was destroyed by the Great Fire of Algiers in 1895 and replaced by the current structure in . . . — — Map (db m117057) HM|
| In the 1720s, at a spot of land now eroded by the river, stood the barracks where enslaved Africans from the Senegal-Gambia region, were held before being ferried across the river to the slave auctions. Early Algiers Point was also the home of the . . . — — Map (db m116900) HM|
| Emmet Hardy (1903-1925), cornetist and machinist, lived here at 237 Morgan Street from 1920-1923. He played in Brownlee’s Orchestra, the New Orleans Rhythm Kings, and in small groups with violinist Oscar Marcour, the Boswell Sisters, and drummer . . . — — Map (db m162765) HM|
| Algiers, established in 1719, is the second oldest neighborhood in New Orleans. Originally called the "King's Plantation," it was first used as the location for the city's powder magazine, a holding area for the newly arrived African slaves, and . . . — — Map (db m116901) HM|
| Panel 1 During his early years in New Orleans Louis Armstrong drew
upon the entire spectrum of music associated with the city. He
spent time following Joe Oliver in the "second lines” which
accompanied brass bands. By the time he was . . . — — Map (db m160939) HM|
|Louis Armstrong, adoringly referred to as “Satchmo," was born August 4, 1901, but chose to celebrate his birthday on July 4th,America's Independence Day. He was the first important jazz soloist and became its most influential musician. As a . . . — — Map (db m116892) HM|
| Manuel “Fess” Manetta (1889-1969), pianist, violinist, trombonist, trumpeter, saxophonist, and teacher, lived here at 331 Alix Street from 1913 until 1923. He played in bands with Buddy Bolden, Frank Duson, Edward Clem, Tom Albert, Papa . . . — — Map (db m163269) HM|
| Oscar J. Marcour (1895-1956), violinist and bandleader, lived here at 431 Opelousas Ave from 1917 to 1919. He played with the Jules Bauduc Orchestra at the Silver Slipper, made and Edison Dictaphone recording c. 1918-1919 at pianist Norman . . . — — Map (db m160934) HM|
| Once connected by a mule-drawn streetcar, Algiers and Gretna are now linked by this path of history. Follow the markers along the "Right Bank of the Mississippi River" to historic downtown Gretna, as many have done since the 1800's. — — Map (db m160913) HM|
| Located between Atlantic and Thayer Sts., established in 1853, the S.P.R.R. Yards extended back 22 blocks, at its peak employed 4,000 men. Trains would board a ferry to cross the river and continue their journey from the Pacific coast up the . . . — — Map (db m129503) HM|
| In the early morning hours of October 20th, 1895, on the 300 block of Morgan St., near the corner of Bermuda St., a fire started that would eventually destroy about 200 homes and businesses in ten blocks between Morgan, Lavergne, Alix and Powder . . . — — Map (db m116888) HM|
| Although this land was purchased by the U.S. Government from Jean P. Dupiere in 1849 as a proposed Navy Yard, a U.S. Naval Station was not formally established here until 1901 when a dry dock arrived. More land was purchased from the Olivier, . . . — — Map (db m129683) HM|
|The transatlantic slave trade to Louisiana began in 1718, with the first of two ships bringing African captives to the region in 1719. The first ship to arrive at this site was the Expedition, which landed 91 enslaved people, most from the . . . — — Map (db m157916) HM|
| “Kid” Thomas Valentine (1897-1987), trumpeter and bandleader, lived here at 825 Vallette Street in 1928. Born in Reserve, LA he moved to Algiers in 1923. He played at Speck’s Moulin Rouge in Marrero and Fireman’s Hall in Westwego in the . . . — — Map (db m161017) HM|
| The sugar plantation (c.1800) of Furey Verret stretched along the river road from around Vallette St., to the Naval Station, and included the Verret Canal, where Whitney Avenue now stands. Jean Lafitte, the pirate, traveled on this canal between . . . — — Map (db m116886) HM|
| Established in 1849 Carrollton Cemetery was part of the growing suburb of Carrollton, incorporated in 1845. The suburb of Carrollton was annexed to the city in 1874 and the management of the cemetery was handed to the city government. There are . . . — — Map (db m163656) HM|
| Also known as St. Mary's, Carrollton No. 2 was established about 1893. It once belonged to the Archdiocese of New Orleans, but was acquired by the City of New Orleans in 1921. The modest tombs and copings reflect the German heritage of many early . . . — — Map (db m163601) HM|
| A submarine built by Manitowoc Shipbuilding Co. of Manitowoc, Wisconsin. Funds for this boat were raised by the citizens of Caddo Parish Louisiana. Launched One August, 1943. On her second patrol under command of LCDR. James S. Clark, was sunk by . . . — — Map (db m133997) HM WM|
|To the left, along the aisle, is a row of burial crypts which also served as the wall of the cemetery on Basin Street. Because of their arched shape they were commonly known as “oven” vaults.
Constructed probably in the middle of the . . . — — Map (db m51640) HM|
| 114 Magazine Street stands on property donated by noted philanthropist Paul Tulane to Tulane University on June 30, 1882. This property was part of the donation by Mr. Tulane which created Tulane University in 1882.
114 Magazine was designed . . . — — Map (db m102526) HM|
|On August 29, 2005, a federal floodwall atop a levee on the 17th Street Canal, the largest and most important drainage Canal for the city, gave way here causing flooding that killed hundreds. This breach was one of 50 ruptures in the Federal Flood . . . — — Map (db m92897) HM|
| . . . — — Map (db m54330) HM|
|This 8 in. Columbaid, cast of Alabama iron by the Confederates at Selma, Ala. was mounted in Spanish Fort, Mobile Bay.
The Fifth Company Slocomb's Battery Battallion Washington Artillery of New Orleans, during the siege of that fort by the U.S. . . . — — Map (db m38901) HM|
|The Academy of the Sacred Heart was founded in 1887. It has continued to serve as a Catholic, independent, college preparatory school for girls, offering 15 years of instruction from nursery school through high school. The Rosary, as Sacred Heart is . . . — — Map (db m95686) HM|
|Erected for John I. Adams, merchant, who in 1860 purchased this part of the former plantation of Jacques Francois de Livaudais, built this house and made his residence here until 1896.
Subsequent family ownerships were
Ferdinand Reusch – . . . — — Map (db m51518) HM|
|Plantation of Louis Allard was purchased by his grandfather, Don Santiago Lorreins in 1770's from estate of Francisco Hery, called Duplanty, builder of the first Cabildo Building in N.O. in 1769. Acquired from Allard in 1845 by J. McDonough —- . . . — — Map (db m93085) HM|
|Has been listed in the
of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior
1965 — — Map (db m84803) HM|
|In 1830 the Pontchartrain rail road was built along Elysian Fields to the lake, with half of its route through lands owned by Bernard Marigny. To accommodate settlers, Marigny and his cousin, Nicholas d'Estrehan subdivided the backlands of Faubourg . . . — — Map (db m102848) HM|
|This memorial is a complex of private property of the Catholic Church of New Orleans.
Located on the grounds are several buildings of which the most notable is the OLD URSULINE CONVENT – ARCHIEPISCOPAL RESIDENCE erected by order of King . . . — — Map (db m51313) HM|
| On June 6, 1944, the three slabs of steel reinforced concrete before you constituted 20 feet and 16 tons of German fortified coastline that ran from the Franco-Spanish border in the south to Norway, over 2,400 miles to the north. "Atlantic Wall" . . . — — Map (db m102717) HM WM|
| The history of the land bordered by St. Charles Avenue, Exposition Boulevard, Walnut Street and the Mississippi River - now known as Audubon Park - is as rich as any New Orleans tale. Originally comprised of abutting tracts of plantation land owned . . . — — Map (db m114287) HM|
|This typical creole cottage probably built before 1813, is considered the traditional site of the studio of famed naturalist painter, John James Audubon, and the place in which he completed his classic “Birds of America” series during . . . — — Map (db m51356) HM|
| In The Beginning The land that is now Audubon Park was once a large sugar plantation owned by Etienne de Bore, the first mayor of New Orleans. In 1871, the property was sold to the city for use as "Upper City Park" and a site for a new . . . — — Map (db m117221) HM|
| In the 1950's, Audubon Zoo became the first zoo to successfully breed whooping cranes. The only previous captive birth was at a Texas wildlife refuge. That chick's mother, Josephine, hailed from Audubon Zoo. One of only two remaining cranes from a . . . — — Map (db m117218) HM|
| Erected 1842 as a two-story house for Mme. Augustine Eugenie de Lassize widow of Louis Robert Avart J.N.B. de Pouilly and Ernest Goudchauz architect-builders
From 1906 through 1923 it was the residence and studio of the artist Achille . . . — — Map (db m51416) HM|
| Type: 57 mm Anti-Aircraft Gun Weight: 10,273 lbs (5.1 tons) Rate of Fire: 105-120 rounds per minute Range: 19,685 ft (3.72 miles) Ammunition: 57x348SR caliber High Explosive and Armor Piercing Crew: 7The Type 59 is the Chinese Variant of the Soviet . . . — — Map (db m162916) HM|
|Built by Bickle, Hamlet & Fox; the iron fence and gates were made by Sterling & Co. of New York.
In 1840 the building was damaged by fire and repairs were made; another fire occurred in 1861 after which the structure was again restored and the . . . — — Map (db m117860) HM|
|The original Bank of Louisiana in New Orleans was chartered by Governor Claiborne in 1804 and its board included Julien Poydras and John McDonogh. The bank was formed after the Louisiana Purchase to provide the currency for the citizens of Louisiana . . . — — Map (db m51591) HM|
|These buildings were once
part of the notable
block – long structure,
Erected in 1833 by
Charles F. Zimpel, Architect
A glass-roofed arcade extended
from Natchez to Gravier Streets,
The upper . . . — — Map (db m102527) HM|
[ inscriptions, west face, base :]
September 14th 1874
In honor of those Americans on both sides who died in the Battle of Liberty Place
Members of the Metropolitan Police:
John H. H. Camp • John Kennedy • Edward Simon • . . . — — Map (db m34742) HM|
It was twenty years ago today,
John Lennon brought the band to play.
This plaque commemorates the 20th anniversary of The Beatles only concert performance in Louisiana
September 16, 1964, City Park Stadium
WRNO Radio to . . . — — Map (db m87847) HM|
| Type: Twin Engine Trainer Weight: 9,300 lbs Armament: Two - .30 caliber machine guns used as gunnery trainer Engine: Two Pratt and Whitney R985 Radials, 450 hp each Max Speed: 215 mph Range: 745 miles Service Ceiling: 20,000 ft. Crew: 2-3 Number . . . — — Map (db m160469) HM|
| Erected 1859 for Nicholas M. Benachi Consul of Greece in New Orleans, the fine Greek Revival house was once known as the "Rendezvous Des Chasseurs" purchased in 1886 by Joseph and Peter Torre whose family residence it was until it was . . . — — Map (db m155687) HM|
Incised on stone:
Peace is based on the respect of the right of others.
1806 - 1872
The People of Mexico to the people of the United States of America.
El respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz.
BENITO JUAREZ . . . — — Map (db m86112) HM|
|Bernard de Marigny de Mandeville (1785-1868) a wealthy land-owner, served in the U.S. Army, participated in framing the first and second constitutions of Louisiana, and served in the Louisiana Territorial Legislature. He also was elected President . . . — — Map (db m51643) HM|
| . . . — — Map (db m23885) HM|
|Here, on a plantation granted to him on March 27, 1719 by the company of the Indies, stood the residence of Jean Baptiste LeMoyne de Bienville, founder of New Orleans. This plantation was sold by Bienville on April 11, 1726 to the Jesuit Fathers . . . — — Map (db m132517) HM|
| This is to certify that
918-920 Poydras Street
was entered into the
National Registry of Historic Places
as part of the
Upper Central Business District Historic District
under the provisions of the
National Historic Preservation Act . . . — — Map (db m133954) HM|
|African-American Creole guitar and banjo player, songwriter, composer, singer, author, historian, teacher, storyteller, humorist, actor and painter. Jazz Hall of Fame member. Recipient of National Endowment of the Arts Music Master Award and . . . — — Map (db m51525) HM|
|Erected in 1832 by Antoine Louis Boimaré, bookseller and Louisiana historiographer, the building was completed by Louis Bartehelemy Macary who bought the unfinished house in 1835. The granite arcade and lead-ornamented transoms are excellent . . . — — Map (db m51332) HM|
| This site 1781-1820 plantation of Jean Etienne Boré (1741-1820) First Mayor of N.O. 1803-1804. Here Boré first granulated sugar in 1795. Purchased for park in 1871. Site of World's Industrial & Cotton Centennial Exposition 1884-1885. — — Map (db m117167) HM|
Built in 1795
by Bartholome Bosque, a native of
Palma, Majorca; father of Suzette
Bosque, third wife of Louisiana’s
first American governor
On this site stood the house of
Don Bernardo de Galvez
Spanish Governor . . . — — Map (db m51412) HM|
|The design of this post-Civil War mansion of a prominent Louisiana sugar planter, attributed to James Freret, architect, reflects the influence of the French “Ecole des Beaux Arts,” where he studied from 1860 to 1862. Residence of Walter . . . — — Map (db m51519) HM|
|James H. Calrow, architect
Charles Pride, builder
Owned by Brevard heirs until 1869 purchased then by Emory Clapp, who added the library wing on the left. It remained in the Clapp family until 1935.
It was then owned and occupied by the . . . — — Map (db m51523) HM|
|One of three once identical adjacent houses erected in 1834 by Henry R. Denis, attorney Owned by Michel Douradou Bringier 1837-1850 Owned by Edward Barnett, notary – attorney 1850-1876 Remodeled and enlarged by him in 1859 Elijah Cox, . . . — — Map (db m51315) HM|
|Since 1869 the Brothers and their colleagues have touched the hearts and shaped the lives of the City's youth. As St. Aloysius in the Vieux Carre, Cor Jesu on this site and, since merging in 1969 into Brother Martin High School, belief in God, love . . . — — Map (db m97461) HM|
| Henry Roeland Byrd "Professor Longhair" (1918-1980), pianist, composer, and singer, lived here at 1738-40 Terpsichore from 1979 until his death. In the 1950’s he recorded several singles including “Bald Head”, "Big Chief", . . . — — Map (db m163869) HM|
|The original French market coffee stand, serving café au lait and hot beignets (French doughnuts) 24 hours a day, year around. This familiar New Orleans landmark has been located in the French market since the early 1860’s. — — Map (db m95381) HM|
|Barthelemy Campanel purchased this site in 1806 and likely built this cottage and two adjacent Toulouse Street cottages in 1811 as rental property.
Campanel, a free man of color, operated a hardware store on North Peters Street, and his family . . . — — Map (db m51359) HM|
|Canal Street, New Orleans’ widest thoroughfare, has long served as the retail heart of the city. With its broad “neutral ground," it is the traditional dividing line between uptown and downtown and represents two centuries of American . . . — — Map (db m51605) HM|
|Louisiana provided the largest number of black Union troops during the Civil War. Many lie buried here. The most notable, Capt. Andre Cailloux, fell while courageously leading a charge of the Louisiana Native Guards in 1863 at Port Hudson, La. . . . — — Map (db m161738) HM|
| Captain Le Verrier Cooley (1855-1931) one of the last of the old-time Mississippi River steamboatmen built this house in 1896 and made it his home until 1925.Captain Cooley's career on the river spanned 62 years and he operated no less than 7 . . . — — Map (db m155701) HM|
|The cornerstone of the monastery was laid in April, 1891, James Freret, Architect, Fred Reusch, Jr, Builder. Founded by the Discalced Carmelite nuns, a contemplative and strictly cloistered order of nuns restored to the primitive rule established . . . — — Map (db m102850) HM|
| James Freret, Architect Ferdinand Reusch, Jr., Builder Dedicated on November 12, 1895, as the Chapel of Reparations and Monastery of the Discalced Nuns. The cornerstone was laid in 1891 by Archbishop Francis Janssens. The Carmelites, a Catholic . . . — — Map (db m102860) HM|
| In 1833, real estate investors commissioned surveyor Charles F.
Zimpel to lay out the former Macarty sugar plantation
into lots, squares, and streets that formed the village of
Carrollton. Reportedly named in honor of General William
Carroll, . . . — — Map (db m155718) HM|
| [Cast at the top of the marker is a rendering of the church]Church of St. Louis, 1727-1788
Cathedral of St. Louis, King of France
The first church on this site designed by Adrien de Pauger was erected 1724-1727 . . . — — Map (db m21552) HM|
| Central Congregational Church 1872-2005Central Congregational Church of New Orleans was organized by Rev.
Charles H. Thompson, a theology professor at Straight College and
thirty-two incorporators on June 30, 1872. It was the result of . . . — — Map (db m157209) HM|
This cemetery was purchased by Charity Hospital in 1848 and was originally known as Potter's Field. It has historically been used to bury the unclaimed victims from throughout the city including victims of several yellow fever . . . — — Map (db m87256) HM|
|Col. Charles Didier Dreaux
Born in New Orleans May 11, 1832
First Conf. officer from Louisiana
Killed in the War Between
the States on the field of
honor near Newport News, VA.
On July 5, 1861
His last words were
"Boys steady" . . . — — Map (db m86011) HM WM|
| This congregation was founded in 1805, the first Episcopal church established in the former Spanish colony after the Louisiana Purchase. In its first service was held in the Cabildo on November 17, 1805. An octagonal Gothic church designed by . . . — — Map (db m104918) HM|
| Civil Rights Pioneers On November 14, 1960, four six-year-old children in New Orleans became the first African-Americans to integrate "white only" public elementary schools in the Deep South. On that day, three girls enrolled in McDonogh No. 19 . . . — — Map (db m99584) HM|
|Burial place (right) of second wife of Governor W.C.C. Claiborne, Clarisse Duralde, who died in 1809 at the age of 21.
Myra Clark Gaines (left) was the daughter of Daniel Clark (1769-1813), American consul when Spain ruled city and later . . . — — Map (db m51650) HM|
| By 1893, Audubon Park was starting to resemble a modern city green space. As interest in improving the park grew, its leaders corresponded with several well-known designers, including Frederick Law Olmsted, to discuss the park's future. In 1898, . . . — — Map (db m114194) HM|
|These are samples of marble slabs used to adorn tombs and crypts after the opening has been sealed with brick and mortar. The tablets were gathered from areas of the cemetery where they has been put aside after falling from neglected or abandoned . . . — — Map (db m51651) HM|
| George "Kid Sheik" Cola(r), (1908-1996), cornetist,
trumpeter, pianist, and bandleader, lived
here at 939 Deslonde Street from 1940 to
1988. He was a member of the Eureka Brass
Band, the Olympia Brass Band, had his own
band the Storyville . . . — — Map (db m156482) HM|
|Built in 1859 for
Colonel Robert H. Short
of Kentucky, commission merchant,
Henry Howard, architect,
Robert Huyghe, builder.
In 1832 this property, which was part of the Lavaudais Plantation was subdivided into city squares.
September 1, . . . — — Map (db m51497) HM|
|Erected about 1795 by Pedro Commagère after an earlier house on this site was destroyed in the great fire of December 8, 1794.
In 1806 it was occupied in part by John Watkins, mayor of New Orleans and by Mr. Forstall’s store.
Sold by Pedro . . . — — Map (db m51417) HM|
|In 1832 this site was part of
the J.F.E. Levaudais Plantation and
was acquired under French grant.
Prior to 1880 the property formed
a part of the City of Lafayette,
Jefferson Parish, Louisiana
To Dining in the Grand . . . — — Map (db m51662) HM|
|Congo Square is in the “vicinity” of a spot which Houmas Indians used before the arrival of the French for celebrating their annual corn harvest and was considered sacred ground. The gathering of enslaved African vendors in Congo Square . . . — — Map (db m20954) HM|
|The French crown granted this property in the early 1700’s to the Marquis de Mezieres, whose influential family furnished planters, soldiers, administrators, and Indian Traders to the French and Spanish regimes. Maurice Conway, nephew and aide of . . . — — Map (db m51337) HM|
|Documented red-cream-green colors
Original terracotta, pantile roof
John E. De Cell, AIA, Restoration 1963 — — Map (db m51364) HM|
|Built in 1828 by James Lambert and Louis Lemoyne for Simon Cucullu, these six rowhouses survive as the oldest intact row in the Vieux Carré. Desporte Pharmacy operated here from 1887 to 1970.
On this corner once stood the 1730 celestial . . . — — Map (db m51542) HM|
| Type: 122 mm Towed Field Gun Manufacturer: Russian PJSC Plant No. 9
Weight: 7,000 lbs (3.5 tons)
Rate of Fire: 10-12 rounds per minute
Range: 50,688 ft (9.6 miles; 13.6 rocket-assisted projectile)
High Explosive, . . . — — Map (db m162437) HM|
| Type: Full Tracked Tractor Armored Bulldozer Manufacturer: Caterpillar Weight: 49,400 lbs (24.7 tons) Armament: None Crew: 1 The first Caterpillar D7 rolled out in 1938. US Army Engineers use these dozers to build
roadways, earthworks and . . . — — Map (db m163229) HM|
| On the eighth day of January, 1815
David Bannister Morgan
Brigadier General U.S.A.
with 400 militia, held his position, called in the British official reports, “The Flanking Battery,” and from which, to employ Gen. Jackson’s . . . — — Map (db m51414) HM|
|Erected about 1807 by Major General Pierre Denis de la Ronde on whose St. Bernard Parish plantation the first engagement of the Battle of New Orleans was fought on December 23, 1814.
This was de la Ronde’s city residence until his death in 1825, . . . — — Map (db m51541) HM|
|John “Johnny” DeDroit (1892-1988) cornetist, and bandleader, lived here at 737 Henry Clay Avenue from 1929 until 1933. He was a cornet soloist at age 12 at the Winter Garden Theater on Baronne St., and subsequently played every New . . . — — Map (db m51491) HM|
|One of three once identical row houses erected in 1834 for Henry Raphael Denis, an attorney.
Dr. Jokichi Takamine (1854-1922), Japanese chemist, philanthropist and co-commissioner for the 1884-1885 World’s Cotton Exposition, is said to have . . . — — Map (db m55033) HM|
|Erected in 1831 by Dominique Bouligny. Construction was begun by John McLeary and completed by James Crowe. The cast-iron verandah is a later addition.
Bouligny, born in New Orleans in 1773, was a soldier, statesman, and planter. He was a . . . — — Map (db m51317) HM|
| The Douglas A-26 Invader (designated B-26 between 1948-1965) was a single-pilot, twin-engine light bomber and attack aircraft built by Douglas Aircraft during World War II that also saw service during several of the Cold War's major conflicts. It . . . — — Map (db m160440) HM|
|This site, history tells us was a favorite location for many duels fought by hot blooded young blades in the romantic Antebellum era of the South. Here, mostly young French and Spanish gentlemen settled their differences with sword and pistols. It . . . — — Map (db m51296) HM|
|This fine example of late 19th century Italianate architecture was designed by renowned architect G.A. D'Hemecourt and built for Dr. A. Dupaquier in 1879. For many years while a private residence the home was known as The Dupaquier House. Perhaps . . . — — Map (db m131385) HM|
347 entries matched your criteria. The first 100 are listed above. Next 100 ⊳