Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Sebastian County Arkansas Historical Markers

 
"Spirit of the American Doughboy" Marker image, Touch for more information
By Sunny Brook, December 1, 2007
"Spirit of the American Doughboy" Marker
Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — “Spirit of the American Doughboy”Fort Smith, Arkansas
Dedicated to the memory of our comrades who entered the service of their country from Fort Smith, Arkansas and who gave their lives in the World War. — Map (db m5544) HM
Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — 1908 Reunion of U.S. Marshals

[Title is text]

[Panoramic photo enlargement] — Map (db m93244) HM

Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — 50 Year Concrete Street Service Award • 1963Fort Smith, Arkansas — General Paving District - 1913

Most 50-Year Old Concrete Streets of Any City in U.S.A. 21.5 Miles — Map (db m92355) HM

Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — A National Cemetery System

Civil War Dead An estimated 700,000 Union and Confederate soldiers died in the Civil War between April 1861 and April 1865. As the death toll rose, the U.S. government struggled with the urgent but unplanned need to bury fallen Union . . . — Map (db m92317) HM

Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — Address by President LincolnAt the Dedication of The Gettysburg National Cemetery — November 19, 1863
Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that . . . — Map (db m114215) HM

Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — Barracks, Courthouse, Jail
The building in front of you is very much as it appeared in the 1890s. First built as a military barracks, it was later converted for use as a courthouse and jail. Over time its appearance changed to accommodate different needs of the people using . . . — Map (db m59026) HM
Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — Bass Reeves - Lawman on the Western Frontier
Bass Reeves, a slave born in Arkansas and reared in Texas, rose to become one of the best known and effective deputy U.S. marshals to ride out of Fort Smith for Judge Isaac C. Parker. Recognized as one of the first African Americans commissioned as . . . — Map (db m58046) HM
Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — Battle of Massard Prairie
On July 27, 1864 Confederates led by Gen. Richard M. Gano surprised an outpost of the Sixth Kansas Cavalry at nearby Caldwell's Place. The Federal force was routed with a loss of 25 killed and wounded, 127 prisoners and much equipment. The . . . — Map (db m52566) HM
Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — Belle Point
In 1817, the first Fort Smith was built at Belle Point at the junction of the Poteau and Arkansas Rivers by Major William Bradford, for the mutual protection of the pioneers and Indians. He was in command until 1822. It was named in honor of . . . — Map (db m77874) HM
Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — Clues from the PastFort Smith National Historic Site
The building in front of you is very much as it appeared in the 1890s. First used as a military barracks, it was later converted for use as a courthouse and jail. Over time its appearance changed to accommodate the different needs of the people . . . — Map (db m82354) HM WM
Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — 15 — Confederate [and] Union Occupation of Fort Smith

[Side A] On April 23, 1861, the U.S. garrison at Fort Smith abandoned the post as Confederate militiamen approached. Fort Smith became an important recruiting and training center for Confederate forces in west Arkansas. Troops from Fort . . . — Map (db m57916) HM

Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — Confederate Burials in the National Cemetery

The Confederate Occupation The War Department established Fort Smith in 1817 and occupied it until April 23, 1861. Learning that the Arkansas militia was advancing, the garrison retreated, taking arms and supplies from the fort with them. . . . — Map (db m92307) HM

Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — Confederates Occupy The Fort
At the beginnings of the Civil War, “amid the firing of cannon and the cheers of the people,” a local newspaper reported, Arkansas State Militia raised the Confederate flag and took control of Fort Smith on April 23, 1861. With the . . . — Map (db m59024) HM
Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — Defending Freedom
I never saw such fighting done as was done by the negro regiment…The question that negroes will fight is settled; besides they make better soldiers in every respect than any troops I have ever had under my command. ~General Blunt after the Battle of . . . — Map (db m59021) HM
Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — Deputy U.S. Marshal Bass Reeves
This statue was erected in 2012 as a result of growing awareness of the extraordinary service of Bass Reeves, an African-American former slave who became a highly respected Deputy U.S. Marshal. The deeds of African-American and Native American . . . — Map (db m58047) HM
Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — Executions at Fort Smith
During the twenty-four years the federal executions took place in Fort Smith, eighty-seven men died on the gallows. While Judge Isaac C. Parker sat on the bench, 160 people, including four women, were sentenced to hang. Just over half received a . . . — Map (db m59023) HM
Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — First National Bank

In 1888, First National Bank built its first bank building, a modest two-story brick building at South Sixth and Garrison. A few years into the 20th century, bank president Samuel McLoud ordered plans drawn up for what would be the tallest . . . — Map (db m92366) HM

Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — Fort Smith National Cemetery

Civil War Fort Smith In 1817, the U.S. Army sent a detachment of soldiers to Arkansas Territory to keep the peace between the Osage and Cherokee nations. They built a post on the shore of the Arkansas River and named it for Gen. Thomas A. . . . — Map (db m92314) HM

Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — Fort Wall
Security has always been a concern for the U.S. military. The army designed the second Fort Smith (1838-1871) as part of a line of forts from Minnesota to Louisiana to separate the territory occupied by Native American tribes from that settled by . . . — Map (db m59020) HM
Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — Great Cyclone at Fort Smith

A cyclone, carrying death and destruction in its wake, visited Fort Smith at 11:15 p.m. on Tuesday, January 11, 1898. Out of the western skies on an unusually balmy night came first an epic show of lightning followed by heavy winds. Then with . . . — Map (db m92364) HM

Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — Marble Hall in 1863

Marble Hall, the oldest building on Garrison Avenue, was built in 1859 by Ethelbert Britton Bright. Judging from the surviving newspapers ads, his mercantile store held the very wonders of the world, steadily supplied by steamboats docking at . . . — Map (db m93241) HM

Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — Meeting of Nations
The Fort Smith Council was held in this building in September 1865. To establish relations following the Civil War, delegates of twelve Indian nations met with President Andrew Johnson’s representatives. Bitterly divided, Indians had fought for both . . . — Map (db m59025) HM
Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — Miss Laura's
. . . — Map (db m57923) HM
Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — Moon TreeLoblolly Pine (Pinustaeda)

This tree was grown from a seed that journeyed to the Moon and back aboard Apollo 14 1971 Planted here on Arbor Day March 15 Bicentennial Year 1976 — Map (db m92358) HM

Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — Officer’s Garden
"The walls were almost hidden by a wealth of vines and foliage, and the enclosed space was as green as nature and care could make it. Beautiful flower beds were kept well tended by the soldiers and added greatly to the beauty of the grounds." . . . — Map (db m58615) HM
Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — Old Commissary
This building, on the N.W. bastion of the wall, was the commissary of the fort. Built in 1839, used until 1871 when the fort was abandoned as a military post. From 1861-65 it served as a hospital, guard house, and refuge, now a museum. Erected . . . — Map (db m57921) HM
Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — Old Federal Building
The old part of this building was the Barracks of the Fort, 1840-1871; Federal Court and Jail, 1872-1887; presided over by Judge I.C. Parker, 1875-1887. Erected as a public service by The Noon Civics Club — Map (db m57922) HM
Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — Our Confederate Dead1861 - 1865

[Title is text] — Map (db m92351) WM

Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — Purple Heart MemorialCombat Wounded Veterans
. . . — Map (db m92352) WM
Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — Reynolds - Davis Wholesale Grocery Company300 Garrison Avenue
This facade is all the remains of the five story building occupied from 1907 to 1955 by Reynolds - Davis Wholesale Grocery Company. The building subsequently served Checker Transfer & Storage Company from 1957 thru 1988 as well as other tenants . . . — Map (db m57919) HM
Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — A-33 — Sebastian County California Gold Seekers

The emigrant train of Forty-Niners, 5,000 strong, set out from Fort Smith in April, 1849, with an escort of United States [Army] Regulars under the command of Captain R. B. Marcy. — Map (db m92353) HM

Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — A-4 — Sebastian County Seat of Justice

The permanent seat of justice in Sebastian County, created in 1851 was located on a site to which was given the name of Greenwood. In 1861 another court house was erected at Ft. Smith and since then the county has maintained two seats of . . . — Map (db m92349) HM

Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — The Bastion That Never Was
When army engineers originally designed the second Fort Smith in 1838, they planned for it to withstand attack. A key feature in achieving this goal was a stone wall about twelve feet high and from two to three feet thick. This wall surrounded the . . . — Map (db m58434) HM
Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — The Commissary Storehouse
This is the oldest building still standing in Fort Smith. Originally built as part of a larger fortification, over the years its appearance and use changed dramatically. The building held supplies used by explorers and soldiers, played a crucial . . . — Map (db m58493) HM
Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — The Fishback Block in 1872

In 1870, ground was broken for the three-story Fishback Block on the site of Jeremiah Kannady's blacksmith shop which manufactured Bowie knives for the Confederate Army. The builder, future Gov. William Meade Fishback (1831-1903), named the . . . — Map (db m57918) HM

Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — The Flagstaff
The U.S. Army built the original flagstaff at the second Fort Smith in 1846. As with many western military posts, the flagstaff stood tall so that its flag could be seen for miles. To attain a height of nearly 100 feet, the army joined two poles in . . . — Map (db m58432) HM
Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — The Gallows
With the largest criminal jurisdiction of any federal court at the time, the Western District of Arkansas handled an extraordinary number of murder and rape cases. When a jury found defendants guilty in these capital cases, federal law mandated the . . . — Map (db m59022) HM
Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — The Guardhouse, 1849-1871
The guardhouse, constructed in 1849, was a focal point of daily activity at the second Fort Smith. Not only did the men assigned to guard detail operate out of this building, but the officer of the day, who was responsible for the daily business of . . . — Map (db m58132) HM
Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — The New Theatre in 1911

Ten years before the outbreak of the Civil War, the Old Red Mill stood on the future site of the New Theatre. The mill was used as a hospital during the Civil War, was damaged by the 1898 cyclone and finally disappeared around 1908. On the back . . . — Map (db m92362) HM

Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — The Officer’s Quarters
You are now standing on what was once Officer’s Row at the second Fort Smith. From 1846 to 1865, two large buildings stood on the western edge of the parade ground and provided housing for officers and their families. Unlike the cramped quarters of . . . — Map (db m58618) HM
Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — The Parade Grounds
For more than thirty years during the mid-1800s, soldiers drilled on the large parade ground before you. Flanked by the officer’s quarters to the right and the enlisted men’s barracks on the left, the parade ground was the center of life at the . . . — Map (db m58125) HM
Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — The Phoenix Block

From 1836 to 1878, the log cabin of Jeremiah and Sophia Kannady stood on the present-day 500 block of Garrison Avenue. In that cabin Kannady's uncle John Rogers, founder of the city, died in 1860. In 1877, Kannady sold land around his cabin to . . . — Map (db m93253) HM

Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — The Trail of Tears

This marks the last encampment of the Cherokee Indians on "The Trail of Tears," from their ancestral homes in the South to the land allotted them in the Indian Territory. — Map (db m92345) HM

Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — The Women’s Jail, 1872-1888
After the U.S. Army closed Fort Smith in 1871, the guardhouse served the Federal Court for the Western District of Arkansas. It remained in use as a jail, detaining primarily women suspected or convicted of federal crimes until 1888. At that time, . . . — Map (db m58128) HM
Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — United Spanish War Veterans MemorialIn Memoriam

[Title is text] — Map (db m92357) WM

Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — Veterans MemorialTo All Who Served

Military Conflicts in U.S. History

American Revolution (1775-1783) War of 1812 (1812-1815) Mexican War (1846-1848) Civil War (1861-1865) Indian Wars (Colonial Era to 1890) Spanish American War (1898) The Boxer Rebellion . . . — Map (db m92338) WM

Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — Veterans Memorial Carillon

AMVETS in conjunction with the Citizens of the area dedicated this carillon as a living memorial to Arkansas-Oklahoma Veterans who served their country honorably for the Cause of Freedom November 11, 1986 Fort Smith National . . . — Map (db m92342) WM

Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — Vietnam War Memorial1959 - 1975 — Sebastian County, Arkansas

This monument is dedicated to the brave sons of Sebastian County, Arkansas, who, in the defense of freedom in South Vietnam, made the supreme sacrifice. In a controversial, complex and diverse struggle, they answered the call of their country . . . — Map (db m92360) WM

Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — Vogel & Wallace

In December 1878, Teddy Vogel and Michael C. Wallace bought the old rough hewn log store building and home that had been been [sic] constructed on this lot circa 1845 by Samuel Boothe. They razed the log structure and began building a stout, . . . — Map (db m93246) HM

Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — W.J. Murphy - Eads Brothers Building in 1903
The first mention of this property is from 1838 when it was part of the brickyard that manufactured bricks to build the second Fort Smith. In 1877 the City Hotel was built here. In 1897, identical buildings were constructed to house the W.J. Murphy . . . — Map (db m57917) HM
Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — Welcome to Fort Smith
Founded in 1817 by the U.S. Army to contain a volatile Indian feud, Fort Smith later served as a major supply depot for western military posts, and finally as headquarters of the Federal Court for the Western District of Arkansas. For over 80 years, . . . — Map (db m59027) HM
Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — William O. DarbyArkansas — Brig. General U. S. Army World War II

Born in Fort Smith Ark. Feb. 8, 1911 Graduate U.S.M.A. June 1933 Assistant Comdr. 10th Mountain Div. Died in Po Valley Italy Apr. 30, 1945 Organized First Ranger Bn. CO Ranger Force - Tunisia-Sicily-Italy 1942-1944 Comdr. 179th . . . — Map (db m92348) HM WM


52 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.