Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Sullivan County Tennessee Historical Markers

 
Wide view of the Acuff Chapel Marker image, Touch for more information
By Paul Crumlish, July 15, 2011
Wide view of the Acuff Chapel Marker
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Blountville — 1A 51 — Acuff Chapel
Established in 1786, this was the first Methodist Episcopal Church to be erected on Tennessee soil. Bishop Francis Asbury preached here often. A ten-day revival held here by Rev. John A. Granade began the Great Revival of 1780-81. The chapel was . . . — Map (db m82954) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Blountville — Anderson Townhouse
The log section of Anderson Townhouse was built in 1792/95. It housed the first town commissioners of Blountville: Richard Gammon (1750-1833), Major George Maxwell (1751-1821) and Colonel John Anderson (1750-1817). All these men served the American . . . — Map (db m69801) HM WM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Blountville — 1A 124 — Battle of Blountville
Here on September 22, 1863, Confederate forces commanded by Colonel James E. Carter fought a Union brigade led by John W. Foster. After delaying the Union advance for more than four hours, Carter withdrew toward Zollicoffer, now known as Bluff City. . . . — Map (db m45822) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Blountville — Battle of BlountvilleFederal Guns on Cemetery Hill
This is where Union forces stood as they attacked Blountville on September 22, 1863, during a campaign to control the Virginia and Tennessee Railroad. On the day of the attack, the Confederates occupied Blountville while the Federal forces held the . . . — Map (db m69699) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Blountville — Battle of Blountville"…the best portion of the town was destroyed"
This is the Sullivan County Courthouse. Its interior was burned during the Union attack on Blountville on September 22, 1863, as Confederate and Federal forces vied for control of the Virginia and Tennessee Railroad, located a few miles east of . . . — Map (db m69708) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Blountville — Battle of BlountvilleConfederate Position
You are in the former schoolyard of the Masonic Female Institute, where Confederate troops stood as they defended Blountville on September 22, 1863. Col. James E. Carter's 1st Tennessee Cavalry withdrew that morning of 1863 from the Watauga River to . . . — Map (db m69806) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Blountville — 1A 99 — Island RoadOldest Wagon Road in Tennessee — America’s First Road to the Southwest
This military road from Chilhowee, Va. to present day Kingsport was completed September 1791 by Major Andrew Lewis under command of Col. Adam Stephen. Upon reaching the Long Island of the Holston, the militia erected Fort Robinson to treat for peace . . . — Map (db m47541) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Blountville — Old Deery InnRefuge from the Storm
In September 1863, Confederate Gen. Samuel Jones’s command and Union Gen. Ambrose E. Burnside’s forces contested control of the Virginia and Tennessee Railroad a few miles east. On September 22, Union Col. John W. Foster’s brigade engaged the forces . . . — Map (db m69712) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Blountville — 1A 33 — Old Deery Inn
Built shortly after 1785 by William Deery. Stopping place for many distinguished travelers of early days, Andrew Jackson, James K. Polk, the Marquis de Lafayette, Prince Louis Phillipe, Andrew Johnson and others enjoyed its hospitality. It operated . . . — Map (db m82955) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Blountville — 1A 132 — Ralph Blizard1918-2004
Ralph Blizard, a Hall of Fame long-bow fiddler, was a pioneer entertainer on radio stations WOPI, WJHL and WKPT, at first with his high school classmates. He recorded and toured with the New Southern Ramblers across the United States and the British . . . — Map (db m45846) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Blountville — Sullivan CountyTennessee's Second Oldest County
Sullivan County was established by the North Carolina Assembly’s October 1779 session; its north of the Holston River section formerly in Washington County, Virginia; and its south of the river section formerly in Washington County, North Carolina. . . . — Map (db m69711) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Blountville — 1A 35 — Taylor’s Meeting House
The Presbyterian Church established here in 1773 is probably the first church of any denomination to be established within the borders of Tennessee. It was also used as a fort, and school was held here on Sundays, in pioneer times. — Map (db m45658) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Blountville — The Cannonball HouseNarrowly Missed Destruction
You are standing in front of the Miller-Haynes house, known as the Cannonball House because of structural damage it sustained from Union cannon fire during the Battle of Blountville on September 22, 1863. During the artillery exchanges, Confederate . . . — Map (db m69805) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Bluff City — 1A 66 — Bluff City
When first a settlement, this was called Choate's Ford. With establishment of the Abingdon, Va-Knoxville stage line, it became known as Middletown. Laid off as a town, following completion of the railroad, it became Union. Early in 1862, it was . . . — Map (db m22907) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Bluff City — 1A 68 — Edward Cox Home
This pioneer from Maryland built the house which stands .1 mi. N., in 1773, bringing his bride here in 1775. Following his return from the Revolution, he opened his house to Methodist missionary preachers. Bishop Francis Asbury was a frequent . . . — Map (db m80631) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Bluff City — 1A 80 — Womack's Old Fort
2.1 Mi. E. on Island Park Road and on hill to left above the spring stood the residence fort of Captain Jacob Womack, who served in colonial & Revolutionary wars. Built before 1774 it served to protect nearby settlers from Indian attacks. About 1785 . . . — Map (db m22908) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Bristol — 1A 137 — Birthplace of Bristol
The town of Bristol was planned and laid out by Joseph Rhea Anderson in 1852. Development began on this site in 1853 with the erection of Anderson's combined home and business. The building served as the community's first store, post office, bank, . . . — Map (db m22991) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Bristol — Birthplace of Country MusicBristol, Tennessee • Virginia — Historic Downtown Bristol
Bristol has long been known as a hub for traditional mountain music. In the summer of 1927, Ralph Peer, a record producer from Victor Talking Machine Company, traveled to Bristol and set up a portable recording studio four blocks east of this . . . — Map (db m24031) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Bristol — BristolVA - TENN — A Good Place to Live
Landmark Bridge Between Two States Erected 1910 Placed on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior September 8,1988 Marker in memory of Mattie and Jim Owens Bristol Historical . . . — Map (db m22993) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Bristol — 1A 140 — Bristol SessionsJuly 25 through August 5, 1927
In 1927 Ralph Peer, a record producer with the Victor Talking Machine Company, set up a temporary music studio on this site. Over the next 12 days he recorded 76 songs by 19 artists, including the Stonemans, and the first recordings of Jimmie . . . — Map (db m82956) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Bristol — East Hill CemeteryHistoric Burying Ground
During the Civil War, Bristol was a strategic location on the East Tennessee and Virginia Railroad. The Confederate Medical Corps established hospitals in the town, which soon became an important medical center. Wounded soldiers were brought by rail . . . — Map (db m82957) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Bristol — 1A 65 — Evan Shelby
Born in Wales, 1719, he came here about 1771. A veteran of Braddock's Campaign and Lord Dunmore's War, he commanded a successful expedition against the Chickamauga towns, 1779. Member of the North Carolina State Senate, 1781, and brigadier general . . . — Map (db m22995) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Bristol — 1A 64 — Evan Shelby's Fort
This fort was erected on high ground about two blocks south, in 1771, for the protection of the pioneer settlers. From it went forces to the battles of Point Pleasant, Long Island Flats and Chickamauga Towns. Here also occurred the preliminary . . . — Map (db m82958) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Bristol — First Country and Western Recording
(North Face) Erected August 16, 1971 Honoring A.P. Carter Sara Carter Maybelle Carter Jimmie Rodgers Who recorded the first Country and Western music to be distributed nationwide in Bristol, Tennessee on August 2, 1927 (West . . . — Map (db m24036) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Bristol — 1A 37 — First Ironworks
1/2 mile north, in 1784, Col. James King, Revolutionary veteran who was at Yorktown, built an ironworks at the mouth of Steel's Creek. A later associate was Governor William Blount. With the King Ironworks was also the first nail factory in the . . . — Map (db m22911) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Bristol — Founder of Bristol
Erected in 2010 in honor of Joseph Rhea Anderson (1819-1888) who founded the original Town of Bristol, Virginia/Tennessee in 1852. Both sides of the town were given recognition on the official records of the time. He erected the first building in . . . — Map (db m82959) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Bristol — Jimmie Rodgers
Jimmie Rodgers, known as “The Singing Brakeman” and “the Blue Yodeler,” was born in Meridian, Mississippi on September 8, 1897. After working as a brakeman for the railroad, a bout of tuberculosis forced Rodgers from the . . . — Map (db m23145) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Bristol — 1A 70 — King College
Located 4 miles to the east in Bristol, Tennessee. Founded in 1867 by the Reverend James King and other Presbyterian leaders to provide "a thorough classical and scientific training, combined with moral and religious instruction." Since 1915 this . . . — Map (db m22913) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Bristol — Ralph S. Peer(1892 - 1960)
Ralph S. Peer was born in 1892 in Independence, Missouri. He grew up in the record business, working in the shop where his father sold phonographs and recordings for the Columbia Graphophone Company. After service in WWI, as a talent scout for . . . — Map (db m23683) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Bristol — Shelby's Fort
General Evan Shelby erected a fort here in 1771 that sheltered and protected pioneers and sent victorious forces to the battles of Point Pleasant, Long Island Flats and Chicamauga Towns Here was conceived by Shelby, Campbell and Sevier, an . . . — Map (db m35794) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Bristol — 1A 131 — The Bristol Municipal StadiumThe Stone Castle
The Bristol Municipal Stadium was built with funds provided by the Works Progress Administration between 1934 and 1937. The stone came from nearby Beaver Creek. A dedication ceremony was held on October 8, 1936, before the Tennessee High and Science . . . — Map (db m45941) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Kingsport — 1A 38 — Avery Treaty
This treaty was consummated here on July 20, 1777, following Col. Christian's subjugation of the Cherokee, who ceded to the whites a broad domain for settlement. The North Carolina and Virginia Commissioners, led by Wraightstill Avery, and the . . . — Map (db m108172) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Kingsport — Bank Barn
The barn built into the embankment provided a stable on the 1st level and a 2nd floor for stage coaches and wagon repair. From the early 1800's it remained in use until the 1920-30's. Reconstructed on the original site with portions of the limestone . . . — Map (db m114013) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Kingsport — Bank Of Kingsport
As the area began to develop, citizens began to realize that they needed a place to invest their money. As a result, the Bank of Kingsport was built in 1912. This financial institution was the first bank in the model city. It holds another place in . . . — Map (db m23731) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Kingsport — 1A 94 — Battle of Island FlatsFirst Skirmish
Marching down Island Road from Eaton's Fort on July 20, 1776, the Colonial Militia crossed Eaton's Ridge to this ravine. Here they rushed the British-allied Cherokees, who were hidden behind trees, with such violence that the Indians were forced to . . . — Map (db m76647) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Kingsport — 1A 3 — Battle of Island Flats
In the area to the S.W. was fought this first battle of the Revolution in the West, July 20, 1776. Colonial Militia under Capt. James Thompson, defeated a force of Cherokees under Dragging Canoe, in a short, bloody struggle. It was also the turning . . . — Map (db m76648) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Kingsport — Battle of Kingsport
On December 13, 1864 approx. 300 Confederate cavalrymen from 2nd Ky. Cav. under Col. R. Morgan delayed the advancing 5,500 Union cavalry under Gen. Stoneman enroute to Saltville, Va.. This monument is dedicated to those brave . . . — Map (db m108203) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Kingsport — Battle of KingsportA Flank Attack — Stoneman's Raid
[Inset] On December 10, 1864, Union Gen. George Stoneman led 5,700 horse artillerists and cavalrymen east from Knoxville, Tennessee, to destroy iron-, lead-, and saltworks in Virginia that were essential to the Confederate war effort. . . . — Map (db m108218) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Kingsport — Church Circle
This Kingsport landmark was designed by railroad engineer William Dunlap and refined by city planner John Nolen as an original part of the 1919 City Plan, Church Circle is one of the cornerstones of planned urban design with its "spoke and wheel" . . . — Map (db m23724) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Kingsport — Colonel Gilbert Christian1734 - 1793 — First Permanent Settler in Kingsport
Early settlement attempt in 1761. Permanent settlement in 1775. The first town in the Kingsport area was laid out on his land grant in 1802 and was named Christianville. American Revolution Patriot Long Island Chapter Daughters of . . . — Map (db m114015) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Kingsport — Daniel Boone Wilderness Trail
In March 1775 Daniel Boone and a group of axmen met nearby at the Holston River and began blazing a trail through 200 miles of forested terrain to the Cumberland Gap and beyond to the Kentucky River. The Wilderness Trail, or Road, opened a new . . . — Map (db m69694) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Kingsport — 1A 98 — Donelson Flotilla
Early in 1779 Col. John Donelson's group arrived here and built 30 flatboats for 300 people to make the 1000-mile journey to settle Middle Tennessee. They embarked on their boating adventure on December 22, 1779. With an hour they wrecked at the . . . — Map (db m108173) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Kingsport — 1A 143 — Douglass High School1928-1966
(Side One) The only school for African Americans in Kingsport began in 1913 as the Oklahoma Grove School near downtown. With Rosenwald and community funds, the first Douglass School building was constructed in 1928. A new structure was . . . — Map (db m76645) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Kingsport — Flatboat
This flatboat is a model of boats that were built in the late 1700's and early 1800's on the banks of this river. These boats transported vast quantities of salt, iron ingots, animal skins, herbs such as ginseng, plaster of Paris and other items of . . . — Map (db m114014) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Kingsport — Flatboat "Adventure" December 22, 1779
Colonel John Donelson in his flatboat “Adventure,” leading a flotilla of about 300 people in flatboats and canoes, departed from Fort Patrick Henry on that epic voyage to the Big Salt Lick on the Cumberland River (now Nashville). The . . . — Map (db m75912) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Kingsport — Kingsport Drug
This building was constructed in 1915 and housed the City's first drug store. Some of the first physicians in Kingsport kept their offices and practiced medicine on the second floor. The drug store featured one of the first soda fountains in town to . . . — Map (db m23728) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Kingsport — Kingsport Public Library
The Kingsport Book Club established the Kingsport Public Library in 1929. It was originally housed in the YMCA building and then moved to this site, which was the former U.S. Post Office site on Broad Street. Thomas Hastings of New York designed the . . . — Map (db m23726) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Kingsport — Netherland Inn
The Inn was built in the early 1800's by William King and sold to Richard Netherland in 1818. The Inn was a popular Stage Coach Inn and Tavern on the Great Stage Road. Parking and ticket sales are located at the upper parking lot. — Map (db m114012) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Kingsport — 1A 103 — Rock Ledge
Built before 1835 by David Shaver, father of Samuel Shaver, an early Tennessee portrait painter. Passed to Lucinda Shaver, wife of Unionist and Tennessee State Senator (1865-69), John Welsh. Inherited by Leah Welsh and her husband, Lafayette . . . — Map (db m82966) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Kingsport — State Theater
This movie house on Broad Street first opened its doors on March 6, 1936 and continued showing films for the next forty-two years. The facility could seat 700 people and became the site of many locally produced civic and cultural events such as the . . . — Map (db m114010) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Kingsport — Suffering and SurvivalCivil War in Sullivan County
Union and Confederate forces in Sullivan County battled to control the East Tennessee & Virginia Railroad and the Holston River, strategically vital transportation routes for moving soldiers and supplies. The county supported secession . . . — Map (db m108222) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Kingsport — 1A 4 — The Boat Yard
To the south, along the banks of the Holston River, a famous gateway to the West, the Boat Yard had a major role in the history of the South. It was the head of navigation on the Holston from 1768 to 1850, and important commercial port and the point . . . — Map (db m69697) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Kingsport — The Gem Theatre
The old Gem Theatre was one of the first buildings in downtown Kingsport. Built in 1915, this building has been used for everything from a country-western bar to a church. It was originally a movie theater that showed a variety of films including . . . — Map (db m23733) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Kingsport — The Great Indian War Path
{Title is text}Map (db m108207) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Kingsport — 1A 107 — The Long Island of the Holston
Its west end seen here in the river, the Long Island of the Holston is four miles long. Tennessee's first National Historic Landmark, it was the site of numerous Revolutionary War events. It served as a sacred Cherokee Indian island until ceded to . . . — Map (db m108176) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Kingsport — Train Depot
The Carolina, Clinchfield and Ohio Passenger Train Station, along with the adjacent Freight Depot, were built in 1916. The building's design was a product of New York architect Clinton McKenzie. Access to the railroad instantly gave Kingsport the . . . — Map (db m23730) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Kingsport — Western Union Building
Built in 1932, this building housed the Western Union telegraph company. Early residents could receive packages and send telegrams from this local office. Wires were extended from here to seven of Kingsport's industrial sites including Eastman and . . . — Map (db m23736) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Piney Flats — 1A 7 — Rocky Mount
300 yards to the southeast is the home of William Cobb, pioneer. First seat of government of the Southwest Territory, October 10, 1790: Governor William Blount had headquarters here till removal to Knoxville, the new capital, in 1792. Andrew Jackson . . . — Map (db m22906) HM

58 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.