A Prehistoric Fort consisting of earthen walls accompanied by moats, formerly occupied this site. The walls, three to four feet high, probably were surmounted by palisades which together with the steep river banks, rendered the fort fairly secure . . . — — Map (db m25860) HM
Art Tatum was born in Toledo on October 13, 1909, the son of Arthur Tatum, Sr. and Mildred Hoskins Tatum. Despite being blind in one eye and only partially sighted in the other, he became one of the greatest jazz pianists of his era. To deal with . . . — — Map (db m94866) HM
The original northernmost lock in a canal system which linked Lake Erie with the Ohio River was located near the foot of LaSalle Street. Indianas Wabash & Erie Canal (1843 – 1874) . . . — — Map (db m19439) HM
(Engine House Number One – marker side 1)
Toledo's first fire station was built in November 1837 one city block due north of this site at the southwest corner of Cherry Street and Eagle Lane at 519 Cherry on what is now the . . . — — Map (db m121491) HM
[East side of Marker]:"Erie and Kalamazoo Railroad"
The first railroad to operate west of the Allegheny Mountains was Toledo's colorful "Erie and Kalamazoo." Begun in 1832, the line was completed by 1836. Its rails were made of oak . . . — — Map (db m27718) HM
Juliette Gordon Low (1860-1927) had a dream that young women could be independent, help others in need, and be responsible leaders in their communities. Low founded Girl Scouts of the United States of America with 18 girls on March 12, 1912 in her . . . — — Map (db m94889) HM
First Congregational Church
Founded in 1833, this is the oldest congregation organized within Toledo's original boundaries. From 1844 to 1913 the church occupied a succession of three meeting houses on St. . . . — — Map (db m94890) HM
[Text on Front Side of Marker]
F. C. L.
[Text on Right Side of Marker]
George Duncan Forsyth
Lt. Co. B. 100th O. V. I.
Captured at Limestone Station
Sept. 8, 1863.
Shot and Killed
in Libby Prison.
Apr. 12, 1864, . . . — — Map (db m44765) HM
Founded in 1876 by a group of Toledo businessmen, Woodlawn Cemetery was designed in the tradition of the country's "rural cemetery" movement, which was first popularized in Europe in the 1830s. This movement reflects the change in American burial . . . — — Map (db m27214) HM
[Front/South Side of Monument]
James B. Steedman,
[Right/East Side of Monument]
[Back/North Side of Monument] . . . — — Map (db m44820) HM
[Front Side/West Side of Marker]:"Lucas County"
Lucas County was named for Governor Robert Lucas who championed Ohio's cause in the "Toledo War," a boundary dispute arising when both Ohio and the Michigan Territory claimed this area. . . . — — Map (db m27221) HM
Son of the Pioneers, born 1781. Recruited twenty Ohioans for duty in case of war with Spain over Louisiana Purchase. Brigadier General, 2nd. Brigade, 2nd. Division, Ohio Militia in War of 1812. Governor of Ohio 1832-36; enacted first laws . . . — — Map (db m121994) HM
State interest in medical education for northwest Ohio became a reality when the Medical College of Ohio at Toledo was established in December, 1964. Located initially at South Detroit and Arlington on Lucas County property, MCO moved to the present . . . — — Map (db m94749) HM
Moses Fleetwood Walker was born on October 7, 1856 in Ohio to Moses M. Walker, a physician, and Caroline, a midwife. He attended and played baseball at Oberlin College and the University of Michigan. In 1883, Walker joined the newly formed Toledo . . . — — Map (db m94868) HM
Famous Scout Whose loyalty, courage, and resourcefulness aided the United States in retaining this territory during the War of 1812 – 1815. His grave is 400 feet south of this spot. This memorial erected October 6, 1923. by The Peter Navarre . . . — — Map (db m19552) HM
(Front):Peter Navarre 1790-1874
Considered the first citizen of the East Side, Peter Navarre, along with his brother Robert, first settled the land east of the Maumee River in 1807. A fur trader by profession, Navarre . . . — — Map (db m19555) HM
[East Side of Marker]:"Port Lawrence"
This pioneer village, which was united with its downriver rival, Vistula, to be incorporated as Toledo in 1837, was platted by Cincinnati businessmen in 1817. The "Panic" of 1819 caused the . . . — — Map (db m25999) HM
Private Mark Wood, Company C, 21st Ohio Volunteer Infantry Died July 11, 1866 Congressional Medal of Honor winner
Pvt. Wood, a union soldier during the Civil War, was a member of the famed Andrews Raiders, who took possession of the Confederate . . . — — Map (db m19087) HM
This monument erected by Spanish War veterans, patriotic organizations and citizens of the city of Toledo to commemorate the valour and patriotism of the men who served in the War with Spain, Philippine Insurrection and China Relief Expedition . . . — — Map (db m121997) WM
[Front of Marker]
S. S. Gannet
[Ohio Side of Marker]
Frank B. Willis
- - - - -
Erected by Authority of
The . . . — — Map (db m21007) HM
(marker side 1)
The Toledo Blade is the city's oldest continuing business. The newspaper was first published on December 19, 1835, during the Ohio-Michigan boundary dispute known as the "Toledo War." The name is derived from that . . . — — Map (db m121496) HM
Marks the Path
Made previous to the
French and Indian War
By the Indians
Who called it
THE GREAT TRAIL
It extended from Detroit to
Pittsburg and was used by the
French and British and by
General Harrison in 1812. . . . — — Map (db m27216) HM
[Front Side]:"The Oliver House"
Overlooking the "Middlegrounds," an early site of railroad, immigration, and commercial activity, the Oliver House opened in 1859 as Toledo's premier hotel. It was designed by nationally prominent . . . — — Map (db m26003) HM
[Front Side of Marker] : "The Toledo State Hospital New Cemetery, 1922-1973"
Toledo State Hospital opened in January 1888 as the Toledo Asylum for the Insane. People were admitted with mild to severe forms of mental illness, and a . . . — — Map (db m30782) HM
[Front Side of Marker] : "The Toledo State Hospital Old Cemetery, 1888-1922"
Toledo State Hospital opened in January 1888 as the Toledo Asylum for the Insane. Originally located immediately south of this cemetery, the hospital was . . . — — Map (db m30791) HM
The Toledo Zoo
Now ranked among the country's finest, the zoo began in 1900 with one large woodchuck in a box at Walbridge Park. After the organization of the Toledo Zoological Society, 1905-10, the zoo began its steady growth, . . . — — Map (db m29762) HM
[Front Side of Marker]:"The Toledo Zoo"
Now ranked among the country's finest, the zoo began in 1900 with one large woodchuck in a box at Walbridge Park. After the organization of the Toledo Zoological Society, 1905-10, the zoo began . . . — — Map (db m41959) HM
[Front Side of Marker, Facing South]:"Toledo"
After consolidation of the villages of Fort Lawrence and Vistula, the City of Toledo was incorporated in 1837. Originally named "Toledo" in 1833, the site became part of Ohio when the . . . — — Map (db m27063) HM
Founded in 1901 under the leadership of Edward Drummond Libbey, who established the glass industry in Toledo, the Museum building was designed by the architect Edward Green. It was completed in three stages in 1912, 1926, and 1933. From the outset . . . — — Map (db m94869) HM
The first canal boat arrived in Toledo from Indiana in 1843 via the Wabash & Erie Canal. The Miami & Erie Canal from Cincinnati was completed in 1845. It joined the W&E Canal near Defiance and they shared the same course . . . — — Map (db m19474) HM
Toledo's First High School
Toledo High School opened in 1854 on the site of the city's first log schoolhouse. After an 1895 fire, it was rebuilt and named Central High School. The facility closed in 1914 with . . . — — Map (db m94891) HM
The pioneer village of Vistula is now bounded by Walnut, Champlain, Chestnut, Magnolia, and Summit streets. Established in 1833 by Benjamin F. Stickney and Edward Bissell, Vistula was merged with its rival, Port Lawrence, and in 1837 both villages . . . — — Map (db m26318) HM
In recognition of
the Patriotism of
the People of
who so generously purchased
War Savings Stamps in 1918
this tablet is
gratefully erected by the
Ohio War Savings Committee — — Map (db m121995) WM
Born at Niles – Trumbull County, Ohio
January Twenty-Ninth – Eighteen Hundred and Forty-Three
Volunteer Soldier of the Rebellion
Representative in Congress
Twice Governor of Ohio
Twice . . . — — Map (db m121996) HM