Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Orleans Parish Louisiana Historical Markers

254 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 201 through 254 are listed. Previous 200
 
St. Vincent De Paul Church Marker image, Touch for more information
June 24, 2017
St. Vincent De Paul Church Marker
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — St. Vincent De Paul Church
In 1838, Bishop Antoine Blanc established the first parish for the Creole Faubourgs or suburbs comprising the Third Municipal District of New Orleans. He named the new parish after the secondary patron of the Diocese, St. Vincent De Paul. The . . . — Map (db m104932) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Starting Point of the First Traditional New Orleans Mardi Gras Parade
From this corner on February 24, 1857, the Mistick Krewe of Comus began its first parade, heading up Julia Street toward St. Charles Avenue. With that parade, Mardi Gras was solidified as a New Orleans tradition that ultimately influenced . . . — Map (db m54937) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Superdome Vietnam Memorial
Plaque 1 "Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty. - . . . — Map (db m106003) WM
Louisiana (Orleans PArish), New Orleans — Superdome Vietnam Wall
1954 Communist forces win decisive victory over French at Dien Bien Phu. Geneva Accords divide Vietnam. Southeast Asia Treaty Organization is formed. President Dwight D. Eisenhower offers aid to South Vietnam. 1955 One Million Vietnamese . . . — Map (db m106032) HM WM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Swamp People
The people of south Louisiana stem from many diverse and varied ethnic backgrounds. The cooking, music, dancing, and folklore of this region reflect their origins in Europe, Africa, Asia, and the Caribbean.

The first Europeans to colonize south . . . — Map (db m117199) HM

Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — The 747741-747 Magazine Street 1867 - 2004
Constructed in 1867 as the Old Iron Works and Machine Shop. In 1886 a new factory was built for the Consumer's Ice Company, incorporating the earlier walls of the original building. In 1891 an explosion partially destroyed the building. It was . . . — Map (db m54133) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — The Beginning
Stephen Ambrose proposed the idea of a D-Day museum to his close friend Nick Mueller in the year 1990. The two historians at the University of New Orleans first discussed creating the museum over glasses of sherry in the back yard of Ambrose's . . . — Map (db m102716) HM WM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — The Birthplace of “Dixie”
On this site from 1835 to 1924 stood the Citizens State Bank, originator of the “Dixie.” In its early days, the bank issued its own $10 bank note, with the French work “Dix” for “ten” printed on the note’s face. . . . — Map (db m122348) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — The CabildoNational Historic Landmark — Louisiana State Museum —
[Panel 1:] Erected 1795-1799, Don Gilberto Guillemard, architect. Constructed financed and directed by Don Andres Almonester y Roxas. The mansard roof was added in 1847. The illustrious Cabildo (Spanish colonial city council) held its . . . — Map (db m21508) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — The Clarinet
Jazz scholars refer to this neighborhood as one of the original birthplaces of jazz. The early sounds of jazz emanated from music halls in this area frequented by Buddy Bolden and other jazz greats. In honor of this historic location, Louisiana . . . — Map (db m81094) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — The Croatian Benevolent Association of Louisiana
Erected by The Croatian Benevolent Association of Louisiana in memory of those members who gave their lives in service of their country, the United States of America, during the wars. Army Cpl. George Petrovich killed in action at Gettysburg, . . . — Map (db m51293) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — The Dufour-Baldwin House
A classic example of the late Greek Revival-Italianate style. Designed by noted architects Henry Howard and Albert Diettel, constructed in 1859 by Wing and Muir for Louise Donnet and Cyprien Dufour, a prominent attorney, author, and state senator. . . . — Map (db m51291) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — The Flood of 1927
In the spring of 1927, relentless rains and northern melt caused the mighty Mississippi to overflow its banks. More than 27,000 square miles of land from Illinois to Louisiana were submerged and nearly one million people were left homeless.

In . . . — Map (db m117203) HM

Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — The French MarketRebuilt 1936-1938
[Panel 1]: Ancient French Market dates its legal birth from September 10, 1784, when the “Authorities of Justice and Administration” decided that all retailers in the city should conduct their businesses on this spot. In 1791 . . . — Map (db m51556) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — The French Opera House
The INN ON BOURBON on the corner of Toulouse and Bourbon Streets, rests on the site of the Old French Opera House, for 60 years, the cultural center of New Orleans Creole society, and the first opera house in the United States. Erected in 1859 at . . . — Map (db m21548) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — The Historic Lower Ninth Ward / Industrial Canal Flood Wall
The Historic Lower Ninth Ward Side A On August 29, 2005, at about 7:45a.m., the Industrial Canal flood wall broke with an explosive sound, heard by many residents near North Johnson Street and Jourdan Avenue. At that time, the Lower Ninth . . . — Map (db m102875) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — The Lamothe HouseCirca 1830
Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the InteriorMap (db m118297) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — The Manse
Erected 1859 for Hannah Killingley Walford, widow of Edmund W. Briggs, agent for London Unity Insurance Company, William A. Freret, architect. Purchased 1871 by the Prytania Street Presbyterian Church for use as the minister’s residence. The bay . . . — Map (db m51520) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — The New Orleans Katrina Memorial
Side 1 The New Orleans Katrina Memorial On August 29, 2005 Hurricane Katrina made landfall upon the Louisiana and Mississippi Gulf Coast. Bringing devastation to many communities. In New Orleans, storm surge and the failure of the . . . — Map (db m85824) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — The New Zion Baptist Church
Founded in 1921 by R.C. Matthews and 45 members, New Zion Baptist Church moved to 2319 Third Street in 1949. Here, under the leadership of Rev. A.L. Davis, Jr., the Southern Christian Leadership Conference (SCLC) became a permanent organization . . . — Map (db m95835) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — The Old Mortuary Chapel
Built in 1826 as a burial church for victims of yellow fever, the chapel is the oldest surviving church in the city. Now Our Lady of Guadalupe, the chapel is the official chapel of the New Orleans Police and Fire Departments. — Map (db m21456) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — The Old Portage
Short trail from Lake Pontchartrain to River shown by Indians to Iberville and Bienville, 1699. Winding trail used by early travelers to city. From Bayou St. John it led to N. Broad, Bayou Roads, Vieux Carre to Mississippi River at site between . . . — Map (db m56026) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — The Original Teddy Bear
According to a famous story, a Louisiana Black Bear was the inspiration for the first “teddy bear.” In 1902, President Theodore “Teddy” Roosevelt was hunting in Louisiana and Mississippi. The hunt went on for days without . . . — Map (db m117201) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — The Presbytère
Logo of the New Orleans Landmarks Commission 1964 The Presbytère Designed in 1791 by Gilberto Guillemard, architect, as the rectory of the Church of St. Louis. Construction, begun through the generosity of Don Andres Almonester y Roxas, . . . — Map (db m51544) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — The Pythian Temple

The architecturally acclaimed Pythian Temple building at 234 Loyola Avenue (formerly South Saratoga) is one of New Orleans' storied landmarks. From 1908 to 1941, members of the Knights of Pythias, under the leadership of Smith W. Green, served . . . — Map (db m115974) HM

Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — The St. Charles Line
Began service in 1835 as the Carrollton Line of the N.O. & Carrollton Railroad. Powered by steam engine, horse, and mule prior to electrification in 1893. It is the oldest continuously operated street railway line in the world. — Map (db m13502) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — The Steamer New Orleans
On January 10, 1812, the steamer "New Orleans" commanded by Nicholas Roosevelt, arrived on this spot. It was the first steamboat to successfully navigate the Ohio and Mississippi rivers. Steamboats were a major factor in the growth of New Orleans as . . . — Map (db m13504) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — The Washington Artillery Park — American Revolution Bicentennial: 1776-1976 —
[Panel 1]: On and near this site since 1718 has centered the military activities of both regular and citizen soldiers of France, Spain, the Confederacy and the United States. On either side were the redoubts forming the “Great . . . — Map (db m24684) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — The Xiques House
This Greek Revival residence was built in 1852 for Angel Xiques, a native of Cadiz, Spain, who was a partner in Laborde & Xiques, importers of Cuban products. This was the Spanish Consulate from 1871 to 1877. In 1884 a gambling house operated . . . — Map (db m51357) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — These Three Townhouses
were designed and built in 1847 for merchant James Dick by renowned architect James Gallier, Sr. while he was designing the old New Orleans City Hall, now called Gallier Hall. Restored in 1971 by August Perez and Associates — Map (db m51355) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Third Ward World War II Memorial
In honor of the men and women of the Third Ward who served in World War II and in memory of those who made the supreme sacrifice. Dedicated Dec. 8, 1946 — Map (db m106081) WM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Thomas House
Built in 1827 by John Mitchell and Isaac Lambert for Dr. Pierre Thomas, who acquired the site from the city. The house was remodeled and a new kitchen constructed for Dr. Thomas by Joseph Desjardin in 1844. The Federal-style townhouse remained in . . . — Map (db m51420) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Thomas Poree House
The ground floor of this building was erected for Juan Laporte in 1789 during the Spanish colonial period. It replaced an earlier, French colonial residence. The second floor was added in 1807 when Louis d’Aquin expanded his adjacent bakery into . . . — Map (db m51320) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Tomb of the Unknown Slave — St. Augustine Catholic Church, New Orleans —
On this October 30, 2004, we, the faith community of St. Augustine Catholic Church, dedicate this shrine consisting of grave crosses, chains and shackles to the memory of the nameless, faceless turfless Africans who met an untimely death in . . . — Map (db m35067) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Tortorici’s
Three generations of Tortorici’s have owned The Nationally Famous Tortorici Restaurant. Louis Tortorici left his native Italy for New Orleans and founded the Contessa Entellina Society, and on September 8, 1886 he became its first president. His . . . — Map (db m51334) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Touro Infirmary1852
On this site in 1852, Jewish American philanthropist, Judah Touro, a distinguished veteran of the Battle of New Orleans, established Touro Infirmary to care for seamen, immigrants, slaves, and the indigents of all races and religions. Touro . . . — Map (db m40487) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Town of Carrollton
Laid out by Charles Zimpel in 1833 on site of Macarty Plantation, formerly uppermost part of Bienvilles's 1719 land grant. Jefferson Parish seat 1852-1874. Annexed 1874 by New Orleans. 1854 courthouse designed by Henry Howard. — Map (db m13503) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Transatlantic Slave Trade to Louisiana
(front side) The trade of human beings from Africa to Louisiana began in 1718 with the first slave ships, the Aurore and the Duc du Maine, arriving in 1719. Those ships carried 451 enslaved Africans to the Louisiana colony. Their voyage . . . — Map (db m117276) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Trenasse CutterCirca 1954
A "trenasse" is a small waterway in the brackish marsh, important to trappers for gaining access to furbearing animals. Some trenasses are natural, many more are created by man, often using a homemade craft like this one. The rotating blades in . . . — Map (db m117198) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Trinity Church EpiscopalFounded 1847
This building erected 1852-54 George Purves, Architect-Builder In 1867 the chancel was extended 32 feet. The entrance tower was added in 1873 Charles L. Hillger, Architect Peter R. Middlemiss, Builder. The parish house in the rear was built in . . . — Map (db m95753) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Tulane Stadium
Tulane Stadium was the original home of the National Football League's New Orleans Saints from 1967-1974. The Saints' first regular season game was held on September 17, 1967. Most notable for John Gilliam's returned 94-yard kickoff return on the . . . — Map (db m114221) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — U.S. Branch Bank
1805 First home & domicile of Ursuline Nuns on arrival from France 1727 — Map (db m51470) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — United States Customhouse
United States Customhouse Has been designated a National Historic Landmark This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America — Map (db m28113) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — United States MintErected 1835
William Strickland, Architect. John Mitchell and Benjamin F. Fox. Builders. The building was renovated and fireproofed 1856-59 under the supervision of Captain Johnson K. Dunkin On this site stood Fort San Carlos erected in 1792 . . . — Map (db m54153) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Upper Pontabla Building — Pontabla Buildings National Historic Landmark —
[Panel 1:] Logo of the Orleans Parish Landmarks Commission Erected 1849-50 by Michela Almonester, Baroness Pontabla, working first with James Gallier, architect and then with Henry Howard, architect Samuel Stewart, builder. . . . — Map (db m21499) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Van Benthuysen-Elms Mansion(Attributed to Lewis E. Reynolds, Architect)
Built in 1869 for "Yankee in Grey," Capt. Watson Van Benthuysen, II, CSA. Relative by marriage of Jefferson Davis & Q'master of Presidential convoy that fled Richmond in April, 1865, Van B. became merchant and industrialist with interests in St. . . . — Map (db m96018) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Veterans Memorial
Among burials in this area are William P. Canby, U.S.N. and other Americans who died in the defense of the city in the Battle of New Orleans and the defeat of the British Army, January 8, 1815 — Map (db m51649) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Victor David House
Erected in 1838 for Victor David, a native of Gascony, France, and his wife Ann Rabassa. David Sidle and Samuel Stewart, builders. Purchased and restored in 1925 as its clubhouse by Le Petit Salon, a ladies' literary group, one of the first to . . . — Map (db m51413) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Visit Historic Algiers PointEstablished 1719 • Listed on the National Register of Historic Places
Catch the Ferry in the Terminal Straight Ahead Ride the Canal Street—Algiers Ferry across the river, pickup a FREE walking tour brochure in the Ferry Terminal and enjoy a leisurely stroll through the charming streets and historic . . . — Map (db m122346) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Warren Easton Charter High School
Boys' Central High School was founded in 1843, relocated to this site in 1913 and was renamed Warren Easton Boys' High School in honor of the superintendent of New Orleans public schools, 1888-1910. The building was designed by E.A. Christy, noted . . . — Map (db m95879) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Whitney National Bank
Erected 1888 Sully and Toledano, Architects The main office of this Bank, organized November 5, 1883, was located in this red granite building from 1888 until its adjacent building was erected in 1911. The newer building . . . — Map (db m118307) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — William Charles Cole Claiborne
In Memory of William Charles Cole Claiborne Born in Virginia Member of the Convention that framed the first Constitution of Tennessee Judge of the Supreme Court of that State at 21, And Representative in Congress at 23. Governor of Mississippi . . . — Map (db m109517) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Woldenberg Riverfront ParkMalcolm Woldenberg 1896-1982
Malcolm Woldenberg, one of Louisiana’s greatest philanthropists of the 20th century, dedicated his wealth to helping local, national, and international charities in aid of the elderly, children’s health, education, the worldwide Jewish community, . . . — Map (db m51288) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Work Begins on New Orleans, Spring 1718
In this vicinity during March-April 1718, French colonists under the command of Jean-Baptiste Le Moyne, sieur de Bienville, first cleared vegetation for the establishment of La Nouvelle Orleans. Bienville, who had first sailed by here in 1699, . . . — Map (db m117272) HM

254 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 201 through 254 were listed. Previous 200
Paid Advertisement