Near South Market Street north of Eagle Street, on the right when traveling south.
Eagle Street traditionally has been the commercial, cultural, and professional center of the African-American community. The YMI Cultural Center, commissioned by George W. Vanderbilt in 1892 as the Young Men's Institute, was renovated in the 1980s. . . . — — Map (db m98367) HM
On Broadway at Mt. Clare Avenue, on the right when traveling north on Broadway.
Gen. Davis Tillson raised 1,700-man 1st U.S. Colored Heavy Artillery in Tennessee and North Carolina in 1864. The unit encamped nearby while garrisoned in Asheville in 1865. Assigned to Tillson's 2nd brigade, the men participated in operations in . . . — — Map (db m55571) HM
On College Street (U.S. 74) near Coxe Avenue, on the right when traveling west.
Since 1902, when the first city auditorium
was built here, this area has been a center
for entertainment and the preservation of
Southern Appalachian culture. Acclaim has
gone to composer Boscom Lamar Lunsford
and playwright Hubert Hayes for . . . — — Map (db m36176) HM
Near Eagle Street at Davidson Drive, on the right when traveling east.
When the war began, more than 15 percent of Buncombe Countys residents were enslaved people. James Patton housed slaves behind his Eagle Hotel (straight ahead), where they worked as waiter, maids, grooms, cooks, and trail guides. Three blocks to . . . — — Map (db m75507) HM
On O Henry Avenue at Battle Square, on the right when traveling north on O Henry Avenue.
Near the end of the Civil War in 1865, Confederate Battery Porter was positioned uphill to your right on Stony Hill, at that time the highest point in Asheville. The battery included four 12-pounder field pieces known as Napoleons, a model 1857 . . . — — Map (db m75505) HM
On Campus Drive at Field Drive, on the right when traveling north on Campus Drive.
On April 3, 1865, Union Col. Isaac M. Kirby left Tennessee with 900 men including his own 101st Ohio Infantry for “a scout in the direction of Asheville.” Three days later, local resident Nicholas Woodfin spotted the Federals on the . . . — — Map (db m75534) HM
George W. Vanderbilt, following the recommendation of landscape architect Frederick Law Olmsted, was the first American landowner to implement scientific forestry, the management and conservation of forest lands, on a large scale. He hired Gifford . . . — — Map (db m58507) HM
Near South Market Street north of Eagle Street, on the right when traveling south.
James Vester Miller was chief brickmason for the 1925 Municipal Building. The cornucopias over the side doorway mark the entrance to the City Market, located there from 1926 to 1932. Of slave parentage, Miller achieved renown as a craftsman, . . . — — Map (db m98368) HM
County Court House
Erected by the People of
Board of County Commissioners
County . . . — — Map (db m18694) HM
On Market Street at Collage Street on Market Street.
Asheville's central square has long served the
needs of government and commerce. From
1892 to 1926 a massive city hall with a bell
tower dominated the east end. The building
housed police and fire departments in addition
to municipal offices. . . . — — Map (db m17062) HM
On North Pack Square (Alternate U.S. 74) at Broadway (U.S. 25), on the left when traveling east on North Pack Square.
Native American trails guided settlers to this site, where in 1793 the Buncombe County Court placed the first courthouse, prison, and stocks. With the opening of the Buncombe Turnpike in 1827, this public square became a crossroads for stagecoach . . . — — Map (db m97553) HM
On Patton Avenue near Church Street, on the right when traveling west.
Dr. Blackwell was the first woman awarded a medical degree in the United States.
She began privately her medical studies in Asheville in 1845 under Dr. John Dickson, for whom she taught music at Dickson private school for girls. The school was . . . — — Map (db m31663) HM
Near South Spruce Street south of College Street (Alternate U.S. 74), on the right when traveling north.
In 1926 Asheville and Buncombe County officials considered erecting matching government buildings on Court Plaze. The city chose Douglas Ellington's Beaux-Art design with its Art Deco embellishments. The county, however, rejected Ellington's plan . . . — — Map (db m98371) HM
As work progressed on Biltmore Estate, his last and largest private project, Frederick Law Olmsted observed, "It is a great work of peace we are engaged in and one of these days we shall all be proud of our parts in it." It was Olmstead who . . . — — Map (db m58506) HM
Colonel Frank Coxe opened the first Battery Park Hotel in 1886. The rambling structure on a hill top became internationally prominent, catering to famous guests. In the early 1920s Edwin W. Groves purchased the property. He built a brand new Battery . . . — — Map (db m30224) HM
On Biltmore Avenue (U.S. 25) at Eagle Street, on the right when traveling north on Biltmore Avenue.
An ornamental eagle perched high in front of
the Eagle Hotel one block south. Irish
immigrant James Patton opened the hostelry in
1814. Almost opposite the Eagle, the
Swannanoa Hotel began operation in 1878,
making South Main Street - now . . . — — Map (db m57588) HM
Near Church Street at Patton Avenue (Alternate U.S. 74), on the left when traveling south.
Reminiscent of Asheville's Victorian past, the Drhumor Building across Church Street was built in 1895 by William J. Cocke and family. Fred Miles, Biltmore Hourse sculptor, carved the limestone frieze. Immortalized in stone is on the east side is . . . — — Map (db m97545) HM
On Overlook Road south of Springside Road (County Route 3506), on the left when traveling south.
Early in 1861, Buncombe County farmer William Riley Powers joined the Rough and Ready Guards (Co. F, 14th North Carolina Infantry). The regiment was assigned to southeastern Virginia. There, Confederate Gen. Benjamin Huger discharged Pvts. Powers . . . — — Map (db m75532) HM
Near North Pack Square (Alternate U.S. 74) at South Market Street, on the right when traveling east.
W.O. Wolfe's tombstone shop, fondly recalled by his son, Thomas in Look Homeward Angel, once stood on this corner. During the boom of the 1920s, real estate developer L.B. Jackson purchased the property from Julia Westall Wolfe and built . . . — — Map (db m97548) HM
Near Patton Avenue (Alternate U.S. 74) at Church Street.
William Sydney Porter, whose pen name was O. Henry, rented an office nearby in 1909-1910. Popular for his short stories, especially "The Gift of the Magi," he was inspired to write "Let Me Feel Your Pulse" by a visit to an Asheville physician. . . . — — Map (db m97533) HM
Near South Market Street (Alternate U.S. 74) at South Pack Square, on the right when traveling south.
Until electricity was introduced in the late 1880s, gas and kerosene lamps provided lighting in Public Square—now Pack Square. Horse-head fountains, fed from a reservoir on Beaucatcher Mountain, were affixed to lampposts at the east and west . . . — — Map (db m98364) HM
Near Dalton Street 0.3 miles north of Wyoming Road, on the right when traveling north.
George Avery, a 19-year-old enslaved blacksmith, joined Co. D, 40th United States Colored Troops, in Greeneville, Tennessee, in 1865. According to local tradition, his master, Confederate Maj. William W. McDowell, sent Avery to enlist for a post-war . . . — — Map (db m75527) HM
On Biltmore Avenue (U.S. 25) near Patton Avenue (U.S. 74E), on the right when traveling north.
Erected and Dedicated by the
United Daughters of the Confederacy
In loving memory of
Robert E. Lee
and to mark the route of the
“The shaft memorial and highway straight
attest his worth . . . — — Map (db m31578) HM
Near Victoria Road 0.1 miles south of Oakland Road, on the right when traveling south.
After John Browns raid on Harpers Ferry, Virginia, in 1859, new militia companies were formed in the South. Businessman William W. McDowell, whose wife acquired this house from her fathers and brothers estates, raised a company called the . . . — — Map (db m75524) HM
On Victoria Road south of McDowell Street (U.S. 25), on the right when traveling south.
The Religious of Christian Education, an
order of nuns originally from France,
established Hillside Convent School on
January 6, 1908. In 1910, the school was
moved to this site and renamed St.
Genevieve~of~the~Pines. For eight decades,
the . . . — — Map (db m57479) HM
Near Patton Avenue (Alternate U.S. 74) at South Lexington Avenue, on the right when traveling east.
The coming of the railroad and tuberculosis sanitariums in the 1880s prompted a population explosion in Asheville. On Patton Avenue the Grand Central Hotel opened circa 1880 and the Grand Opera House in 1890. Later, vaudeville and motion picture . . . — — Map (db m97550) HM
On Biltmore Plaza at Kitchen Pl on Biltmore Plaza.
Near and West of this spot at Gum Spring The County of Buncombe
was organized on April 16, 1792
under act of the
General Assembly of North Carolina
Erected by The National Society of the Colonial Dames Of America
In the State of . . . — — Map (db m12831) HM
On South Pack Square (Alternate U.S. 74) east of Biltmore Avenue (U.S. 25), on the right when traveling east.
Buncombe County was carved out of a magnificent mountain landscape etched by indigenous trails and scattered settlements. The bill creating the county was ratified on January 14, 1792.
In 1793, the county's first official courthouse, a jail and . . . — — Map (db m98370) HM
Asheville native Thomas Wolfe achieved international fame with the publication of his first full-length novel, Look Homeward, Angel, in 1929. Many of the incidents in the book took place in his mother's boardinghouse, "Old . . . — — Map (db m12757) HM
On College Street at Davidson Drive, on the right when traveling north on College Street.
Robert Williamson . . . — — Map (db m37193) HM
On Aston Street near Church Street, on the left when traveling east.
Designed by Bertram Grosvenor Goodhue
Cram, Goodhue and Ferguson, New York
Has been placed on the
Of Historic Places
By the United States
Department of the Interior — — Map (db m32324) HM
Near South Pack Square (Alternate U.S. 74) east of Biltmore Avenue (U.S. 25), on the right when traveling east.
The Urban Trail, a self-guided walk through historic downtown, begins here at the heart of the city, the public square. Philanthropist George Willis Pack, for whom the square was named in 1903, gave generously to the entire community. So too, the . . . — — Map (db m98369) HM
On College Street near Davidson Drive, on the right when traveling north.
This marker is erected
in loving memory of the
men of Buncombe County
who volunteered and served
in the War with Spain,
the insurrection in the
Philippines and the
China Relief Expedition,
1898 - 1902 — — Map (db m37194) HM
Near Montford Avenue at Hill Street, on the right when traveling south.
During the war, many large buildings such as schools, warehouses, and churches became temporary prisons in Southern cities. After Asheville's jail on Pack Square overflowed with Confederate draft evaders, deserters, Union prisoners of war, and . . . — — Map (db m59170) HM
On College Street (U.S. 74) at Court House Plaza, on the right when traveling east on College Street.
[inscriptions, west center interior] "It is the Veteran:"
It is the Veteran who has given us and defended Freedom of Religion.
It is the Veteran who has given us and defended Freedom of Press.
It is the Veteran who has given us . . . — — Map (db m30268) HM
On Blue Ridge Parkway (at milepost 394) at North Carolina Highway 191, on the right when traveling north on Blue Ridge Parkway.
The French Broad River played a major role in this regions early development. Initially called the “Broad River” by eighteenth-century French hunters and traders, it was later named the French Broad River. With headwaters on Pisgah . . . — — Map (db m58937) HM
On Sand Hill Road (State Highway 3412), on the right when traveling north.
Here on land granted him in 1787.
He erected the first house of white
settlers west of the Blue Ridge.
Capt. Moore and his troops camped near
here when on the Rutherford Expedition
against the Cherokee in 1776.
Erected by Unaka . . . — — Map (db m56431) HM
On Charlotte Highway (Alternate U.S. 74) south of Clarke Lane, on the left when traveling south.
On March 24, 1865, Union Gen. George Stoneman led 6,000 cavalrymen from Tennessee into southwestern Virginia and western North Carolina to disrupt the Confederate supply line by destroying sections of the Virginia and Tennessee . . . — — Map (db m75541) HM
On Yates Avenue near Old U.S. 70, on the left when traveling north.
On March 24, 1865, Union Gen. George Stoneman led 6,000 cavalrymen from Tennessee into southwestern Virginia and western North Carolina to disrupt the Confederate supply line by destroying sections of the Virginia and Tennessee . . . — — Map (db m55971) HM
On Reems Creek Road (State Highway 1003), on the right when traveling north.
Here were born two notable Buncombe County brothers, Zebulon Baird Vance (1830-1894) and Robert Brank Vance (1828-1899).
Zebulon Vance was a Whig and supporter of the Union who opposed secession until the last moment. At the outbreak of war in . . . — — Map (db m23138) HM