Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Alexandria Virginia Historical Markers

270 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 70
 
A Tale of Three Jurisdictions Marker image, Touch for more information
By Allen C. Browne, October 7, 2012
A Tale of Three Jurisdictions Marker
Virginia, Alexandria — A Tale of Three Jurisdictions
Did you know that you traverse the District of Columbia, Maryland, and Virginia when you cross this bridge? The brass lines in the walkway mark the boundaries. They also commemorate the cooperation required to build this bridge. Follow the . . . — Map (db m140997) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — T-45 — Episcopal High School
Episcopal High School, on the hill to the southwest, was founded in 1839 as a boys' preparatory school, one of the first in the South; girls were admitted in 1991. The school was a pioneer in the establishment of student honor codes in preparatory . . . — Map (db m7559) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Mountains of Materials and Massive Manpower — Fighting World War I
The concrete foundations you see here were part of a craneway servicing two shipways and launch sites -- elements of an enormous World War I-era shipyard. To speed delivery of cargo ships needed for the war effort, the Virginia Shipbuilding . . . — Map (db m62323) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Race to Build Ships on Jones Point — Alexandria Goes to War — 1918 - 1921 —
In response to a shortage of ships and shipbuilding facilities at the start of World War I, the U.S. government decided to enter the shipbuilding business. In 1917, the U.S. Emergency Fleet Corporation was created and eventually oversaw construction . . . — Map (db m62022) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — T-44 — Virginia Theological Seminary — Founded 1823
Half mile to the southwest. The idea for such an institution was conceived by a group of Alexandria and Washington clergymen in 1818. Among those interested was Francis Scott Key, author of the Star Spangled Banner. Originally at corner of . . . — Map (db m7561) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Eisenhower East — African American Heritage Memorial
[Plaque on the left side of the entrance:] From the establishment of Alexandria in 1749 to the present time, African Americans have been a vibrant part of this city's history. The City of Alexandria would not exist in its present form were . . . — Map (db m131547) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Eisenhower East — The Cameron Valley — Early Industrial Development in Western Alexandria
The area west of the Mill Race complex once was a sloping meadow through which ran the meandering tail race of the Cameron Mills. The mill site itself was located beneath what is now the parking garage of the Hoffman Center complex. Built in the . . . — Map (db m27230) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Eisenhower East — The Duke Street Tanyard — Alexandria Heritage Trail
Peter Wise, a city councilman and tanner, established the Duke Street Tanyard in 1797. The Business was situated near the stone bridge on the east bank of Hooff's Run by West End Village. The tannery's ownership and name changed many times; Quakers . . . — Map (db m72479) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — "For God and Country"
In Loving Memory of Kate Waller Barrett, 1859-1925 First President American Legion Auxiliary Department of Virginia 1922 National President American Legion Auxiliary 1923 ▼▲▼▲▼ This Tablet . . . — Map (db m72401) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — 115 Prince Street — Captain's Row
George Washington's 1749 Survey shows this lot fronting the Potomac River. The original house on this site was built in 1783. It was destroyed in the great fire of January 18, 1827, which consumed 53 houses and numerous outbuildings in Old Town. . . . — Map (db m71794) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — 204 South Royal
Built in 1880, 204 South Royal Street was originally the site of the Concordia Hotel. Commissioned by Jacob Borhaus, the Concordia incorporated every modern convenience. The original hotel entrance was located on Royal Street. A two story wing . . . — Map (db m131347) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — 414-412 Prince Street
In 1850, William N. McVeigh bought a frame house on this site at public auction. Soon after the purchase, McVeigh had the small house demolished, and construction began on a pair of three-story brick houses. The Alexandria Gazette and . . . — Map (db m146441) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — 511 Prince Street
George Washington purchased this lot in 1763 Frame house built 1798 Enlarged and encased in brick in 1853 by William McVeigh — Map (db m146414) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — A Very Different View: Living and Working in 1700s Alexandria
Alexandria's Changing Shoreline In 1749 the town of Alexandria was laid out on 10 to 15 foot bluffs around a crescent of shallow water. The back edge of John Carlyle's property, where you are standing now, was about 15 feet above the Potomac . . . — Map (db m129171) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Alexandria — A Place Through Time
13,000 years ago The Paleoindian Period A Native American hunter during the Paleoindian period discards a broken spear point, on a bluff overlooking a tributary to the Potomac River at the southern edge of present-day Alexandria. . . . — Map (db m115772) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — E-89 — Alexandria Academy
On 17 Dec. 1785, George Washington endowed a school here in the recently established Alexandria Academy “for the purpose of educating orphan children.” In 1812, an association of free African Americans founded its own school here in . . . — Map (db m813) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Alexandria Archaeology Museum — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
The launch of urban renewal in 1965 led to a boom of archaeological discoveries in Alexandria's Old and Historic District. As buildings were razed exposing artifact-laden layers of history, community outcry demanded that the City address and halt . . . — Map (db m115770) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — E-88 — Alexandria Library Sit-In
On 21 August 1939, five young African American men applied for library cards at the new Alexandria Library to protest its whites-only policy. After being denied, William Evans, Edward Gaddis, Morris Murray, Clarence Strange, and Otto L. Tucker each . . . — Map (db m82774) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Alexandria Post No. 24, American Legion
This structure stands on the site of a late eighteenth-century brick dwelling, part of a complex owned by John Wise and leased to John Gadsby, both noted Alexandria tavern keepers. The Alexandria Post No. 24, American Legion, purchased the . . . — Map (db m129180) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Alexandria Railroads
Three railroads developed in Alexandria during the mid-19th century, a period of limited industrial expansion for the City. Alexandrians had a invested heavily in the Alexandria Canal which opened in 1843, giving the city access to the rich . . . — Map (db m72379) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Alexandria Washington Lodge — No. 22 AF & AM
Chartered A.D. 1788 Destroyed by Fire May 19, A.D. 1871 Rebuilt A.D. 1874 Adolf Cluss - Architect This plaque mounted in cooperation with the City of Alexandria by the Alexandria-Washington Lodge No. 22 Ancient Free and . . . — Map (db m69947) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Alexandria, Virginia — Market Square — Alexandria Historic District —
Wording on stone tablet to left: Alexandria, Virginia County seat of Fairfax 1742-1800 Organized 13th July, 1749 Incorporated by the Assembly of Virginia 1779 Ceded to the Federal Government 1789 First boundary . . . — Map (db m69923) HM WM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Bank of Alexandria
Established in 1792, this was the first financial institution authorized by the General Assembly of Virginia. The building was completed in 1807. It is one of the oldest surviving commercial structures in Alexandria and is a fine local example of . . . — Map (db m81250) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Barrett Library / Black History Museum
The Alexandria Library's Kate Waller Barrett Branch (2 blocks north, 1 block east) and the Alexandria Black History Museum (6 blocks north) have an unusual shared history. The library building was constructed in 1938 and named for Dr. Kate Waller . . . — Map (db m115715) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Battery Cove Filled: A New Shipyard
Between 1911 and 1912, Battery Cove, the shallow bay extending from the southern edge of Keith's Wharf southward to Jones Point, was [unreadable] for the Civil War Battery Rodgers and was used as a small [unreadable] for an extensive dredging . . . — Map (db m127768) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Battery Rodgers
Historical Site Defenses of Washington 1861-1865 Battery Rodgers Here stood Battery Rodgers, built in 1863 to prevent enemy ships from passing up the Potomac River. The battery had a perimeter of 30 yards and mounted five 200 pounder Parrott . . . — Map (db m41413) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Bayne-Fowle House
This property has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior Bayne-Fowle House 1854 [Additional plaques above:] The Bayne-Fowle House has been . . . — Map (db m134975) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — E-139 — Beulah Baptist Church
African Americans escaping slavery found refuge in Alexandria after Union troops occupied the city in 1861. The Rev. Clement “Clem” Robinson established the First Select Colored School in 1862. Hundreds of students registered for day and . . . — Map (db m98079) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Brigadier General Montgomery D. Corse, CSA
Brigadier General Montgomery D. Corse, CSA Born here in 1816, died Alexandria 1895. Volunteer, Mexican War 1846-1848. Prospector in California, Commander, 17th Virginia Infantry Regiment, CSA. Post-war civic leader and banker. Buried . . . — Map (db m65489) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Capt. James McGuire House
Built 1816-18 by Capt. James McGuire Occupied for much of his Alexandria ministry by Rev. Samuel Cornelius, Pastor First Baptist Church, 1824-41 Restored 1964-65 by Mr. & Mrs. John Page Elliott — Map (db m66551) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Carlyle House Historic Park
This unique building, constructed of stone and set back from the street, was built by John Carlyle, a British merchant and one of the original founders of Alexandria. Witness to both domestic life and war, today the house stands as a museum . . . — Map (db m129168) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Christ Church — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
Before the American Revolution, the Church of England was the established church of Virginia and part of the colonial government. For administrative purposes, the colony was divided into "parishes" and all residents paid taxes to maintain church . . . — Map (db m115716) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Civil War and Restoration
Civil War Comes to Carlyle House If you stood in this spot 150 years ago, you would be inside a building! In 1848 James Green purchased Carlyle House and the building in front of you, the first Bank of Alexandria. He turned it into a hotel . . . — Map (db m129170) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Col. John Fitzgerald
Here stood the home of Col. John Fitzgerald favorite aide-de-camp and bosom friend of Washington Erected by Col. John Fitzgerald Chapter New Jersey Catholic Historical Society — Map (db m115761) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Colonel Michael Swope House
This house was built between 1784-1786 by Colonel Michael Swope, a Revolutionary War Battalion Commander, and his wife, Eva Kuhn Swope. Originally from York, PA, Colonel Swope was taken prisoner by the British at the beginning of the war and was . . . — Map (db m149717) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Confederate Soldiers
"How sleep the brave who sink to rest By all their country's wishes blest" Beneath this mound lie the remains of thirty-four Confederate Soldiers Which were disinterred from the Alexandria Soldiers' Cemetery (Federal) and reinterred . . . — Map (db m129286) HM WM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Dr. Bernard Stier, O.D. (1930-2005)
Dr. Bernard Stier, O.D. (1930-2005), practiced optometry at this address from the late 1950s to 1998. Dr. Stier moved his practice here after practicing at 716 King Street with his uncle, Dr. Moses Katz, O.D. (1913-1957). A longtime Alexandrian, Dr. . . . — Map (db m115717) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Early Alexandria and Keith's Wharf
During the 17th century, settlers began to establish small plantations near landing places on the Potomac River. Oceangoing ships could load tobacco and other goods to export to Great Britain. The area that was to become Alexandria was still . . . — Map (db m127772) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Edgar Warfield — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
One of King Street's greatest commercial buildings was built by one of Alexandria's most beloved citizens. Edgar Warfield, Jr. was born in 1842, and at the age of 18 he co-founded the "Old Dominion Rifles," a Confederate militia that served in the . . . — Map (db m115749) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Electric Railway — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
Alexandria's electric streetcar system, the Washington, Alexandria & Mount Vernon Railway, was established in 1892 between Alexandria and Mount Vernon. In 1896, the line extended into Washington, crossing the Long Bridge where the 14th Street Bridge . . . — Map (db m115760) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Engin Artemel
As Planning Director (1977-1984) Engin Artemel led the City of Alexandria in planning for the transformation of its industrial waterfront to one that can be enjoyed by visitors and residents alike. Inspired by beautiful active urban waterfronts in . . . — Map (db m99596) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — 22 — First Presbyterian Church of Alexandria — "Old Presbyterian Meeting House" — American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site —
Panel 1 - upper middle of east face: The First Presbyterian Church of Alexandria founded A.D. 1772 House of worship erected 1774. Destroyed by lightning July 20, 1835. Rebuilt on the same lot A.D. 1836. Panel 2 - . . . — Map (db m122164) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — For God and Country
Erected to the Memory of the Soldiers, Sailors and Marines from Alexandria, Virginia who gave their lives during the World War. Geo. M. Anderton Herbert Bernhard Thos. W. Cook John Crilly Arthur Curran Percy C. Dove . . . — Map (db m129194) WM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Franklin P. Backus Courthouse — Dedicated in his honor November 17, 1989
University of Virginia, LLB 1936 Admitted to practice before the Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals 1936 United States Naval Reserve Officer, World War II 1942-1946 Mayor and Member of City Council of City of Alexandria . . . — Map (db m115750) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Friendship Fire Company
Organized 1774 Original building erected July 23, 1855 New addition erected October 30, 1972 Housing relics for future generations. Gift of Bernard B. Brown — Map (db m65818) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Friendship Firehouse — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
In an 18th century town of mostly wooden buildings, where open flames provided heat, light and cooking on a daily basis, Alexandrians constantly faced the danger of fire. Water to fight fires had to be carried in buckets from nearby wells, town . . . — Map (db m115714) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — From Factory to Housing — The History of 515 N. Washington Street — City of Alexandria, Est. 1749 —
Alexandria's First Cotton Factory On April 19, 1847, the Mount Vernon Manufacturing Company purchased this lot along North Washington Street. The present building on this site was completed a year later in 1848, becoming the city's first . . . — Map (db m127782) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Gadsby’s Tavern
Erected 1792. Popular resort and famous hostelry of the Eighteenth Century. Here was held in 1798 the first celebration of Washington's Birthday in which he participated, and from its steps Washington held his last military review and gave his last . . . — Map (db m146) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Gadsby's Tavern — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
Restoration In the early 20th century Alexandria's economy was struggling, despite major efforts to develop a strong industrial base. But by the early 1920s, inspired by efforts to restore the colonial city of Williamsburg, Virginia, . . . — Map (db m129178) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Gadsby's Tavern Museum — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
Gadsby's Tavern Museum consists of two buildings — the smaller c.1875 tavern and larger 1792 City Tavern and Hotel. While both were constructed by John Wise, they were made famous by John Gadsby, a rising tavern keeper who rented the buildings . . . — Map (db m115755) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Gazette House
This building dates to 1801. Between 1852-1911 the Alexandria Gazette newspaper was printed here. In 1862 while Alexandria was occupied by the North during the Civil War, Union soldiers burned this building because it was reported here that St. Paul . . . — Map (db m41832) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — George Johnston's Home
Trustee of Alexandria 1752 until death in 1765, and was succeeded on board of trustees by George Washington. Member of House of Burgesses and moved the adoption of Patrick Henry's resolution on the "Stamp Act." — Map (db m131392) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — George Washington in Alexandria — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
George Washington considered Alexandria his hometown after its founding in 1749, and it is here that he came to do business, learn the events of the world, pick up mail, and visit friends. His first association with the town was probably as a 17 . . . — Map (db m115747) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — George Washington Memorial Parkway — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
A visit to George Washington's Mount Vernon estate, about nine miles to the south, has long been viewed as a patriotic duty of Americans. In the late 19th century, visitors often traveled there from Washington by boat, stopping first in Alexandria. . . . — Map (db m115719) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Green & Brother Furniture
Steam Furniture Works. Established 1828. Green & Brother, manufacturers of chamber, hall, parlor, dining-room, school, and church furniture. Wholesale and retail. Ssend for price list. Handrail, newells, balusters, brackets, bed-posts, table-legs; . . . — Map (db m71742) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Guarding the Potomac — Battery Rodgers 1863-1865
The area around Jones Point, which lies just south of the nation’s capital, was an obvious location for early defensive fortifications. During the Civil War (1861-1865), Battery Rodgers was built overlooking the cove to guard the river approach . . . — Map (db m69911) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — E-86 — Historic Alexandria
Alexandria was named for the family of John Alexander, a Virginia planter who in 1669 acquired the tract on which the town began. By 1732, the site was known as Hunting Creek Warehouse and in 1749 became Alexandria, thereafter a major 18th-century . . . — Map (db m47) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Historic Street
In the 1790's many Alexandria streets were paved with cobblestones. According to legend, Hessian soldiers provided the labor to cobble Princess Street. These cobbles remained essentially untouched until 1979, when the street was restored using the . . . — Map (db m71813) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Home of Charles Lee
[Top plaque] Home of Charles Lee First Collector of Customs, Alexandria 1789 - 1793 Designated an Historic Customhouse Vernon D. Acree U.S. Commissioner of Customs 1976 [Bottom . . . — Map (db m129176) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Home of Dr. James Craik — (Born 1730 - Died Feb. 6, 1814)
Close personal friend and family physician of Washington. Surgeon in Braddock's campaign, also with Washington throughout the Revolutionary War. Was at his bedside when he died and received his last messages. — Map (db m72341) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Home of Edmund Jennings Lee — Completed 1801
Eminent lawyer, he lived here until 1837. His son, Cassius Francis Lee until 1865. Edmund Jennings Lee served as Vestryman and Warden of Christ Church, whose Glebe lands he successfully defended from confiscation after the Revolutionary War. Major . . . — Map (db m8566) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Home of Elisha Cullen Dick — (Born 1750 - Died 1825)
Was consulting physician in Washington's last illness. At the moment of Washington's death he stopped the bedroom clock, which can be seen in Alexandria Washington Lodge, and conducted the Masonic Funeral service at his grave. — Map (db m71751) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Home of George Gilpin 1740-1813
Home of George Gilpin 1740-1813 Member, Fairfax Committee of Safety Colonel, Virginia Regiment Fairfax Militia, Served with General George Washington in New Jersey campaign and Battle of Germantown Surveyor of the Town of . . . — Map (db m115764) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Home of Henry Lee — (Light Horse Harry)
Famous Revolutionary Soldier, Father of Robert E. Lee. Was ardent supporter of Federalists. Defended Washington in political contests and delivered eulogy before Congress at Washington's Death in which he used the now famous phrase: "First in . . . — Map (db m72316) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — In Memory of Captain Ryan Wojtanowski — 1953 to 2016
All stories should end with accumulating snow. Increasing depth racing the concluding plot Erasing the physical details of the recent narrative Leaving only softened shapes and relative positions And as the end obliterating even . . . — Map (db m143372) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — In Memory of the Honorary Pall-Bearers of General George Washington
Fellow townsmen, brother Masons, trusted friends, comrades in the cause of American Independence. Col. Charles Simms Col. Dennis Ramsay Col. William Payne Col. George Gilpin Col. Philip Marsteller Col. Charles Little In memory . . . — Map (db m129193) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — James Harris House
. . . — Map (db m66549) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — John Douglass Brown House
Farm house in Fairfax County, Virginia, located upon part of a seven hundred acre land patent granted to Margaret Brent in 1654. Owned and occupied by descendants of John Douglass Brown and Mary Goulding Gretter since 1816. — Map (db m71738) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — John Fitzgerald — 1776-1976
This building was the warehouse of John Fitzgerald, Alexandria merchant and officer of the third Virginia Regiment of the Continental Line.

Colonel Fitzgerald was a close friend of General George Washington and he was his secretary and . . . — Map (db m81247) HM

Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — E-117 — Jones Point
American Indians first frequented Jones Point to hunt and fish. The point is likely named for an early English settler. By the 1790's, military installations were established at Jones point due to its strategic location on the Potomac River. The . . . — Map (db m79997) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — E-91 — Lee’s Boyhood Home
Robert E. Lee left this home that he loves so well to enter West Point. After Appomattox he returned and climbed the wall to see “if the snowballs were in bloom.” George Washington dined here when it was the home of William Fitzhugh, . . . — Map (db m8548) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — E-93 — Lee-Fendall House
“Light Horse Harry” Lee, Revolutionary War officer, owned this land in 1784. The house was built in 1785 by Phillip Fendall, a Lee relative. Renovated in 1850 in the Greek Revival style, the house remained in the Lee family until 1903. . . . — Map (db m8567) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Lee-Fendall House — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
Revolutionary War hero Henry "Light Horse Harry" Lee, father of Confederate General Robert E. Lee, purchased several lots on North Washington Street in Alexandria soon after the War for Independence. He lived with his family in a house on Cameron . . . — Map (db m115721) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Lee-Fendall House
Built by Philip Richard Fendall in 1785 on land purchased from Henry (Light Horse Harry) Lee. Lee was a brilliant cavalry officer in the Revolution, close friend of George Washington, Virginia Assemblyman, member of Congress and Governor of . . . — Map (db m128768) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Living History
Discover the spirit of Alexandria that has been making history for well over two centuries Founded in 1749, Alexandria was the center of commercial and political activity for early patriots such as George Washington as the seeds of the . . . — Map (db m115776) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Lloyd House
Built 1797 by John Wise, tavern keeper, and his residence, until 1799. Rental property when sold to Major Jacob Hoffman 1810–1825, included outbuildings, gardens, small sugar refinery. Next owner Elizabeth Thacker Hooe leased house to Benjamin . . . — Map (db m8613) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Lodge No. 38, Independent Order of Odd Fellows
The first story was built in 1812 as the first female free school in Virginia endowed by Mrs. Martha Washington and Mr. W. B. Dandredge. Potomac Lodge No. 38 of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows purchased the property on November 15, 1841 and . . . — Map (db m67083) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Lord Fairfax House
Erected (c.) 1800 by William Yeaton. Residence of Thomas, Ninth Lord Fairfax and his son Dr. Orlando Fairfax until 1875. — Map (db m71811) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Market Square — Old Town — Welcome City of Alexandria 1749 —
Alexandria's Market Square was established only a few years after the town was founded in 1749. The site selected was centrally located in a prime block of the colonial settlement, immediately adjacent to the City Hall. At the time, Cameron and . . . — Map (db m115757) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Marshall House — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
In the early morning hours of May 24, 1861, the day after a public referendum in Virginia supported secession from the United States, Alexandria was invaded by Union forces crossing the Potomac. Colonel Elmer E. Ellsworth, the young commander of the . . . — Map (db m115753) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Orange & Alexandria Roundhouse
Orange & Alexandria Railroad roundhouse, formerly located near Duke and South Henry Streets. Engine named after Brigadier General Herman Haupt, Chief of Transportation, U.S. Military Railroads during the Civil War. Mathew Brady photograph after . . . — Map (db m72622) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Original Site of Immanuel Lutheran Church
Original Site of Immanuel Lutheran Church Founded 1870 — Map (db m129185) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Pioneer Mill
Pioneer Mill once stood at the end of Duke Street. The photograph shows the many wharves that occupied the blocks where buildings and parks now stand. Warehouses lined the Waterfront interspersed with processing plants for flour and fertilizer, . . . — Map (db m115774) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Plundered! — Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail — National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior —
On August 29, 1814, Alexandria surrendered to the British forces. These terms of surrender protected American homes but gave the enemy flour, cotton, tobacco, and other goods as well as military supplies and weapons. On September 3, the . . . — Map (db m143268) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Raise the White Flag — Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail — War of 1812 —
In the early 1800s Alexandria was part of the District of Columbia and an important port with its own militia. In summer 1814, though, Alexandria’s militia had been sent to defend Maryland from the British invasion. So on August 28, four days after . . . — Map (db m81226) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Residence of General William Brown, M.D. — Born 1748.      Died 1792.
Physician General and Director of Hospitals, Middle Department, Continental Army, Charter member, Society of the Cincinnati. Author of the first American Pharmacopoea. President of Board of Trustees of Alexandria Academy, at General Washington's . . . — Map (db m71757) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Retail in Alexandria — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
The 500 block of King Street has long been associated with retail trade in Alexandria. In the late 18th century, Adam Lynn, Sr. owned the quarter-block at this corner of King and St. Asaph Streets, where he operated a small bake shop selling . . . — Map (db m115746) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — River Ferries — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
Potomac River ferry companies date back to as early as 1740, when Hugo West received permission to operate a ferry from the Hunting Creek warehouse in Prince William over the Potomac River to Fraziers Point in Maryland "...the price for a man 1 . . . — Map (db m143267) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — E 140 — Roberts Memorial United Methodist Church
At the end of the 18th century, African Americans constituted half of the congregation at Alexandria's Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church. With support from Trinity, black members founded a separate congregation early in the 1830s, and their . . . — Map (db m127781) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Saint Mary's Catholic Parish
Founded 1795 by Very Rev. Francis Jonatus Neale, S.J. of Georgetown College and Colonel John Fitzgerald, Aide de Camp to General George Washington and one time Mayor of Alexandria Prior to 1785, the Catholic community of Alexandria . . . — Map (db m72355) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Saint Paul's Episcopal Church
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior. — Map (db m39307) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Site of Alexandria's First Sugar Refinery — 1804-1828
The northern half of this block of Cameron Street, bounded by North Columbus Street on the east and North Alfred Street on the west, was the original site of the Moore-McLean Sugar Refinery. Within this half-acre lot was a five-story structure . . . — Map (db m67028) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Site of Assembly Hall — Alexandria City Hall
Here was held March 22 1785 the first conference between representatives Alexander Henderson and George Mason of Virginia and Major Daniel of St. Thomas Jenifer, Mr. Chase and Mr. Stone of Maryland. This conference resulted in the framing of the . . . — Map (db m81249) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Site of First Services of the Salvation Army — Alexandria, Virginia — May 1885 —
On this site stood Captain Joseph Pugmire and three lassies who conducted the first Salvation Army services in Alexandria. Later, the Salvation Army was located at 319 and 316 King Street from 1922 to 1965, when it moved to its present facility at . . . — Map (db m143) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — E-92 — Site of First Synagogue of Beth El Hebrew Congregation
On this site stood Beth El Hebrew Congregation’s synagogue, the first structure built as Jewish house of worship in the Washington metropolitan area. Founded in 1859, Beth El, the first reform Jewish congregation in the Washington area, is northern . . . — Map (db m8604) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Site of the First Lot Sold at Auction
Erected by the Bicentennial Commission to mark the site of the first lot sold at auction July 13th, 1749 — Map (db m131391) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Stabler-Leadbeater Apothecary
Founded in 1792, the Stabler Leadbeater pharmacy operated on this site for 141 years serving many early patriots. The shop is a unique reminder of the period when manufacturing, wholesaling, and dispensing of medicines were combined as a single . . . — Map (db m875) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Stabler-Leadbeater Apothecary Museum — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
The Stabler-Leadbeater Apothecary Museum traces one of America's oldest continuously-run family businesses that combined manufacturing, wholesaling and retailing. Founded in 1792, and operated just across Fairfax Street until 1933, the pharmacy was . . . — Map (db m115762) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Stabler-Leadbeater House — (1847 - 1933)
Built circa 1818 by Josiah Hewes Davis (1783-1862), rope maker and ship chandler who operated a rope walk at Jones Point. Purchased in 1847 by William Stabler (1795-1852) as a home for John Leadbeater (1808-1860), his brother-in-law and business . . . — Map (db m71772) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Swann-Daingerfield House
Built in 1802 by Thomas Swann Purchased in 1832 by Henry Daingerfield and enlarged. St. Mary's Academy 1889 - 1943 Restored in 1978 by Mr. and Mrs. Hugh E. Witt — Map (db m134974) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Swann-Daingerfield House — 1802
A private residence listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior. Registered as a Virginia Historic Landmark by the Virginia Board of Historic Resources. Thomas Swann House, 1802-1833. . . . — Map (db m145963) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — 7 — The Alexandria Ford Plant — Ford's Landing Park —
One of the last and most architecturally important of the industrial facilities constructed on the waterfront was the Alexandria Branch of the Ford Motor Company. Designed by Albert Kahn (1896-1942) and built on wood pilings over the Potomac River . . . — Map (db m69852) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — The Alexandria Lyceum — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
One block south is The Alexandria Lyceum, formed as a public education organization in 1834 by Quaker schoolmaster Benjamin Hallowell and other civic leaders. In 1839, the founders joined with the Alexandria Library Company to construct a . . . — Map (db m115718) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — The Alexandria Marine Railway
The Alexandria Marine Railway Company was founded in 1849 at the site of the former Keith's Wharf. Until the Depression of 1857, the firm refitted and repaired the sailing craft that plied the harbors of Alexandria, Georgetown and Washington. The . . . — Map (db m127769) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — The Athenaeum — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
Home to the Northern Virginia Fine Arts Association, the Athenaeum is a fine example of Greek Revival architecture, with a long and colorful history of occupation. The building was constructed between 1851 and 1852 as the Bank of the Old Dominion, . . . — Map (db m115768) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — The Bank of Potomac Building — Built 1804-07
Here Union Governor Francis Harrison Pierpont established the “Restored Government of Virginia” and used the building as the official Governor's Residence 1863-65 This Property is protected by a preservation easement held by . . . — Map (db m71611) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — The Carlyle House and the 18th-Century Site
The Carlyle House, completed in 1753, was the residence of one of the 18th-century Alexandria's leading citizens—John Carlyle—a prosperous merchant and landowner. 1. Although the earliest known engraving of the Carlyle House appeared . . . — Map (db m129174) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — 4 — The Civil War and Battery Rodgers — Ford's Landing City Park —
With the outbreak of war in the spring of 1861, Alexandria was immediately occupied by Federal troops as a bulwark in the defenses of the national capital, and the city became a central distribution center for men and material for the Army of the . . . — Map (db m70411) HM WM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — The Civil War Comes to Alexandria — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
In 1860, Alexandria was a vibrant southern city boasting a population of 12,652 and 96 firms which produced everything from bark to tin-ware. During the U.S. Presidential campaign in the fall of 1860, business-minded Alexandrians were decidedly . . . — Map (db m115781) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — The Confederate Statue
The unarmed Confederate soldier standing in the intersection of Washington and Prince Streets marks the location where units from Alexandria left to join the Confederate Army on May 24, 1861. The soldier is facing the battlefields to the South where . . . — Map (db m8605) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — The Earliest Inhabitants
After 10,000 B.C., as glacial ice retreated, small bands of Paleo-Indians moved into the vicinity of what would become Alexandria. Moving frequently within wide areas, these bands hunted game and collected the plant resources of the spruce/pine . . . — Map (db m127773) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — The Fairfax House — 1749 ▿ 1771
This house was built and owned for twenty years by the Fairfaxes of Belvoir Col. William Fairfax 1691 ▿▿▿ 1757 Col. George William Fairfax 1724 ▿▿▿ 1787 Patrons Instructors and friends of Washington, . . . — Map (db m92329) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — The Federal District and Alexandria
On January 22, 1791, George Washington appointed Andrew Ellicott and Benjamin Banneker to survey the boundaries of the "District of Columbia," to be the home of the Federal government of the United States. The President instructed the surveyors to . . . — Map (db m127771) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — The Fitting-Out Dock — Shipshape and Cargo-Ready — 1918-1921 —
This dock, constructed of reinforced concrete on concrete and wood pilings, was once the last stop for cargo ships under construction at Jones Point's World War I shipyard. Here, ships received final fittings before heading out for service. The dock . . . — Map (db m62201) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — The Front Door of Gadsby's Tavern
This Doorway was returned to Gadsby's Tavern From the Metropolitan Museum by Charles Beatty Moore, Colonel. U.S.A. Retired (1881-1951) in 1949 by the Alexandria Assocation. 1949 marked the Bicentennial of Alexandria's Founding. — Map (db m71777) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — The Gadsby's Tavern Ice Well
Underground ice wells were used in the 18th and 19th centuries to store ice for use during the warm months. In Alexandria, blocks of ice were cut from the Potomac River. Ice was placed in this well through a square opening which is marked in the . . . — Map (db m129196) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — The Lyceum — The Jean E. Keith Memorial
Built in 1839 by the Alexandria Lyceum Company under the leadership of Benjamin Hallowell, this building housed the Alexandria Library and was the scene of concerts, meetings, debates and lectures featuring such speakers as John Quincy Adams and . . . — Map (db m8607) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — The Marshall House
The Marshall House stood upon this site, and within the building on the early morning of May 24, 1861 James W. Jackson was killed by Federal soldiers while defending his property and personal rights as stated in the verdict of the coroners . . . — Map (db m65490) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — The Memorial Fountain
The Memorial Fountain in this garden rededicated on June 2, 1967 by The Mount Vernon Chapter National Society of The Daughters of the American Revolution on the occasion of the Dedication of tavern square the fountain was previously located at the . . . — Map (db m71758) WM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — The Methodist Episcopal Congregation of Alexandria
In 1804, the Methodist Episcopal congregation of Alexandria moved from its first meeting house in Chapel Alley to this location. The meeting house remained here until 1942, when the building was disassembled and relocated to its present site, where . . . — Map (db m134972) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — The Original Saint Mary's Church
About eighty feet to the west of this site the original Saint Mary's Church was constructed between 1794–1796 by father Francis Neale, S. J., at the corner of what is now Washington and Church Streets. It was the first catholic church in the . . . — Map (db m86633) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — The Patton-Fowle House — 711 Prince Street — c. 1806 —
The Patton-Fowle House - attributed by some to renowned early American architect Charles Bulfinch of Boston - is one of America's finest examples of Federal high-style architecture. Sharing many of the same features as the historic Octagon House, . . . — Map (db m134973) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — The Port City — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
From this point, King Street slopes gently down to the Potomac. But when Alexandria was founded in 1749, the new town was perched on a high bluff some 20 feet above the river. The town was established on a shore of a crescent-shaped bay that . . . — Map (db m115766) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — The Ramsay House
Owned by William Ramsay, a founder of Alexandria in July, 1749, and first Mayor. Restored by the City of Alexandria in 1956 and dedicated to the memory of Mrs. Robert Miller Reese (Rebecca Ramsay) (1870–1955), great-great-granddaughter of . . . — Map (db m144) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — The Ramsay House — Built Circa 1724
Oldest house in Alexandria owned by William Ramsay, a Founder, Trustee, and the first Mayor of Alexandria in 1749. Later occupied by his son Dennis Ramsay and his descendants. Interest in preserving the house was initiated by Edward . . . — Map (db m115763) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — The Ticer House
The Core Structure here was built in the 1780s, with the front rooms added in the early/mid 1800s Home of Patsy and Jack Ticer and their family 1961 - 2018 Patricia S. "Patsy" Ticer - First woman Mayor of Alexandria Served on City . . . — Map (db m146437) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Timberman Brothers — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
At the turn of the 20th century, Alexandria was home to at least a dozen pharmacies, two of them associated with the name Timberman. Charles Parke Custis Timberman and other brother John Elmer Winfield Timberman were born near Pohick Church in 1878 . . . — Map (db m115723) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Torpedo Factory Art Center — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
Originally called the United States Naval Torpedo Station, the Torpedo Factory was built during World War I, and was specifically designed for the fabrications of dangerous naval ordnance. The building was barely completed when that war ended in . . . — Map (db m115784) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Torpedo Factory Art Center / United States Naval Torpedo Station (Building Two)
Marker on the left side of the North Union Street entrance:Torpedo Factory Art Center City of Alexandria, Virginia Dedicated April 30, 1983 Alexandria City Council, Charles E. Beatley, Jr,. Mayor; James P. Moran, Jr., Vice Mayor; . . . — Map (db m98078) HM WM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Visiting Old Town
Welcome to Old Town Alexandria! Experience historical charm with contemporary flair from the river to the rails Plan Alexandria Visitors Center at Ramsay House Knowledgeable staff help you create a perfect plan for your . . . — Map (db m115778) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — War of 1812 — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
Few periods of Alexandria's history have been more tumultuous than the War of 1812. During the first decade of the 19th century, Great Britain's interception of American ships, impressment of U.S. seamen, and support of Indian aggression along the . . . — Map (db m115769) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Washington School Compound
Alexandria Academy (Washington School) Built 1785-86 George Washington member Board of Managers Washington Lancastrian School (Site of) Built 1812 Razed 1870 Alexandria Community Y Erected . . . — Map (db m129166) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Washington’s Town House
Replica of Washington's Town House. Lot purchased by George Washington 1763. House completed 1769 – torn down 1855. Rebuilt by Gov. and Mrs. Richard Barrett Lowe 1960. Bricks & stones from excavation used in construction. Worth Bailey, . . . — Map (db m147) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — E-106 — Washington-Rochambeau Route — Alexandria Encampment
Most of the American and French armies set sail from three ports in Maryland—Annapolis, Baltimore, and Head of Elk—in mid-Sept. 1781 to besiege the British army in Yorktown. The allied supply-wagon traln proceeded overland to Yorktown, . . . — Map (db m8570) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Washington's Tenement House
Built for investment in 1797 by George Washington Lot purchased by Washington in 1763 Conveyed by will in 1799 to Martha Washington — Map (db m71716) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Waterfront Walk
(Panel 1) The Alexandria waterfront reflects the perpetual relationship between people and the Potomac River. The Old Town shore documents a history rich in individual and collective maritime, commercial, and cultural concerns. Waterfront . . . — Map (db m81244) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Welcome to Christ Church — A historic church and living congregation
Christ Church embodies God's unbounded love by embracing, liberating, and empowering people—whoever you are and wherever you find yourself on your journey of faith. An Episcopal church designed by James Wren in the colonial Georgian style . . . — Map (db m129192) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Welcome to Jones Point Park — National Park Service — U.S. Department of the Interior —
The open vistas, recreational fields, or fishing pier may be what drew you to Jones Point Park, but archaeological and historical evidence shows that this land has been attracting people for a multitude of reasons during the last 9,000 years. Over . . . — Map (db m127766) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Wilkes Street Tunnel
The Wilkes Street Tunnel was part of the Orange & Alexandria Railroad, founded in 1848 to promote trade with western Virginia. The Orange and Alexandria inaugurated its track in Alexandria on May 7, 1851 with a run to the north end of Union Street . . . — Map (db m72346) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Wilkes Street Tunnel — City of Alexandria Est. 1749 — Alexandria Heritage Trail —
The Wilkes Street Tunnel was part of the eastern division of the Orange & Alexandria Railroad, founded in 1848 to promote trade with western Virginia. The Orange & Alexandria inaugurated its track in Alexandria on May 7, 1851 with a run from the . . . — Map (db m143378) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Windmill Hill — City of Alexandria Est. 1749 — Alexandria Heritage Trail —
Now a city park, Windmill Hill got its name from the windmill built here on Miller's Cliff by inventor John R. Remington in 1843. With soothing winds and a grand view of the busy port, the hill was the scene of fashionable promenades and numerous . . . — Map (db m143377) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — World War I Memorial
In honor of all from the City of Alexandria who served and died during World War I Robert Adams George Anderton Stanley Bernard Herbert Bernhard William Bradley Bernard Brock William Brown Christopher Cloxom Thomas Cook . . . — Map (db m129195) WM
Virginia (Alexandria), Landmark — Bush Hill
Josiah Watson, a wealthy merchant and postmaster of Alexandria, established his 272-acre plantation, “Bush Hill”, in 1791. Richard Marshall Scott purchased the plantation in 1791; his family stayed here for 200 years. Scott was an . . . — Map (db m2610) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Old Town — A World War I Shipyard Transforms Jones Point — From Shoals to Ships — 1918-1921 —
During World War I (1914-1918), the U.S. government targeted Jones Point as the site for a private shipyard, one of 111 built to aid the war effort. The Virginia Shipbuilding Corporation yard, constructed just before war's end, was designed to build . . . — Map (db m127780) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Old Town — Alexandria — Alexandria in the Civil War
“Alexandria is ours,” declared Col. Orlando Wilcox of the 1st Michigan Vol. Inf. as his regiment captured the city on the morning of May 24, 1861. When Virginia's vote of secession became effective, Union forces immediately crossed the . . . — Map (db m159) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Old Town — Alexandria, D.C. — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
Alexandria was established by Virginia's colonial assembly in 1749, over four decades the U.S. Congress authorized creation of a national capital on the banks of the Potomac River. Once the final site for the Federal city was selected by President . . . — Map (db m141166) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Old Town — ASIS International 9/11 Memorial
In honor and memory of our colleagues in the security profession whose lives were lost in the performance of their duty on September 11th in New York, and all others who have been called upon to make the ultimate sacrifice, ASIS International . . . — Map (db m131393) WM
Virginia (Alexandria), Old Town — Carver School — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
Just two blocks north of this location along Fayette Street (named for the Marquis de Lafayette who visited Alexandria in 1824), near the southwest corner of Queen Street, stood the Old Powder House, dating from 1791-1809. On the same spot, the . . . — Map (db m115713) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Old Town — Colonel Francis Peyton
In the late 18th and early 19th centuries, this land was part of a larger parcel owned by Colonel Francis Peyton and the land was later inherited by his son, Lucien. In 1851, Lucien Peyton sold this property, depicted on the 1845 map of Alexandria, . . . — Map (db m115704) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Old Town — D.C.'s First Building Block — Jones Point Park — National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior —
In 1791, surveyors on Jones Point began to lay out the ten-mile square that would become Washington, D.C. The first marker for the survey—the south cornerstone—was set in place on this spot. Although the stone within this protective . . . — Map (db m60162) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Old Town — Freedom House Museum — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
The building at 1315 Duke Street, two blocks south of here, was originally built around 1812 as a residence for General Robert Young, commander of Alexandria's militia, who died in 1824. This three-story brick building then became the headquarters . . . — Map (db m115706) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Old Town — In Memory of Alexandria War Dead
Donated by Mrs. Florence Angelo Cannaday Richmond, Virginia Erected in memory of Alexandria War Dead — Map (db m131388) WM
Virginia (Alexandria), Old Town — Mistress Margaret Brent — (c1601–c1671)
On September 6, 1654, this site was included in a patent of 700 acres granted by the Colony of Virginia to Mistress Margaret Brent (c1601–c1671). An extraordinary woman, she spent most of her adult life fighting discrimination of her sex, she . . . — Map (db m62020) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Old Town — Original Federal Boundary Stone, District of Columbia, South Cornerstone — District of Columbia
. . . — Map (db m141073) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Old Town — Port City — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
Historically, Alexandria's development moved from east to west, and three distinct areas of the city have unofficially been known as the "West End." The first West End ended at Shuter's Hill, the current site of the George Washington Masonic . . . — Map (db m115709) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Old Town — Potomac Connections — Tidewater and the Atlantic Coastal Plain — Potomac Heritage National Scenic Trail —
George Washington lived in and traveled from this region, pursuing his dream of westward expansion—to connect the Atlantic Seaboard with the frontier West. His efforts to use the Potomac River as a commercial artery influenced . . . — Map (db m127767) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Old Town — Prehistory to Colonial Settlement — Jones Point Park — National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior —
Jones Point was once a wooded wilderness, ringed by marshes and periodically cut off from the mainland during high tide. American Indians made use of both woodland and wetland for food, tools and supplies. By the 17th century, Europeans had . . . — Map (db m62028) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Old Town — E-136 — Shiloh Baptist Church
Alexandria, occupied by Union troops during the Civil War, became a refuge for African Americans escaping slavery. Before the war ended, about 50 former slaves founded the Shiloh Society, later known as Shiloh Baptist Church. Members held services . . . — Map (db m91684) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Old Town — Shuter's Hill — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
Shuter's Hill, a high bluff overlooking King Street, is probably named for the a local resident named Shuter who lived nearby in the 1740s. The site has been visited by people for more than 5,000 years. In fact, archaeologists have uncovered . . . — Map (db m115785) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Old Town — The Emerging Nation — Jones Point Park — National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior —
From the late 1700s into the 1800s, the pastoral calm of the Point was interrupted repeatedly—by soldiers manning cannon emplacements, by surveyors laying out the boundaries of the nation's capital, by workers at a ropewalk and the lighthouse, . . . — Map (db m62029) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Old Town — The First People on Jones Point — In Pursuit of Fur, Fish and Fowl — Jones Point Park —
Archaeological evidence indicates that humans have occupied the Potomac River Valley for over 13,000 years and Jones Point for almost 9,000 years. Attracted by the rich resources of Hunting Creek marsh, indigenous people built temporary structures . . . — Map (db m127779) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Old Town — The Jones Point Lighthouse — Shedding Light on a Landmark — Jones Point Park, National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior —
In the 1850's, Alexandria was one of the busiest seaports in the Chesapeake region. To help guide Potomac River ship traffic, the federal government built the Jones Point lighthouse, illuminating the beacon for the first time on May 1, 1856. It was . . . — Map (db m60242) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Old Town — The Long Story of The Jones Point Ropewalk — 1833-1850 — Jones Point Park —
In 1833, Josiah Davis constructed a narrow, 400-yard-long building where rope was manufactured for ship's rigging, a once-thriving maritime industry for the nearby port of Alexandria. [Caption:] The Jones Point ropewalk was a two-story . . . — Map (db m127774) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Old Town — The Lost Village of Cameron at Great Hunting Creek — Jones Point Park — National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior —
Three hundred years ago, a river as wide as the Capital Beltway—Great Hunting Creek—emptied into the Potomac River at this spot. In the absence of good roads, this river and its tributaries were vital corridors for travel and trade. . . . — Map (db m62000) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Old Town — The Nation's Capital Begins Here 1791-1793 — Jones Point Park — National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior —
After the Revolutionary War, the new nation searched for a permanent seat of government. President George Washington favored a 10-mile square territory along the Potomac River that encompassed the economically important ports of Georgetown and . . . — Map (db m141071) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Old Town — The Remarkable Margaret Brent — Landowner, Lawyer, Suffragette — 1601 - 1671 —
Despite occasional conflicts between European settlers and local Indians, Mistress Margaret Brent of Saint Mary’s City, Maryland, was granted the first land patent on Piper’s Island (later known as Jones Point) in 1654. An extraordinary woman for . . . — Map (db m62026) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Old Town — Visiting Old Town
(obverse side) King Street Trolley Free Proceed directly ahead to trolley stop Welcome to Old Town Alexandria! Experience historical charm with contemporary flair from the river to the rails Plan Alexandria Visitors . . . — Map (db m115143) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Old Town — Who Owns the River?
According to Lord Baltimore's land grant from King Charles I in 1632, Maryland owns the "River of Pattowmack...unto the further Bank of said River." But with Virginia's shoreline constantly shifting how could the border be fixed? In 1929, a survey . . . — Map (db m60179) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Old Town — World War I-Era Rudder — Evidence of the Shipyard at Jones Point
In May 2000, this rudder was recovered along the banks of the Potomac River near Jones Point. Measuring over 22 feet high and 4.5 feet wide, the rudder is of the variety used to outfit steel cargo ships constructed between 1918 and 1920 at the . . . — Map (db m61952) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Old Town — World Wars to the Present
In the 20th century, Jones Point continued to be shaped by the changing needs of the federal government. With proximity to the capital and access to land and river transportation, the peninsula was chosen as the site for several military . . . — Map (db m62030) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Old Town North — Alexandria Canal (1843 - 1886) — Lock #3
Buried beneath this canal stone lies Lock #3 of the Alexandria Canal, which connected the Harbor of Alexandria with the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal in Georgetown, D.C. between 1843 and 1886. After Crossing the Potomac on an aqueduct bridge near the . . . — Map (db m80668) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Old Town North — Alexandria Canal Turning Basin — (1843-1886) — Alexandria Heritage Trail, City of Alexandria, Virginia —
The Alexandria Canal officially opened on December 2, 1843. The seven-mile long canal extended from the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal in Georgetown to Alexandria's ports on the Potomac River. Boats brought coal, limestone, iron ore, port and . . . — Map (db m147123) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Old Town North — American Red Cross
This building, originally built as a bottling plant for the Robert Portner Brewing Company in 1912, was purchased along with the land surrounding it by the American National Red Cross in the spring of 1941. It served as the organization's Eastern . . . — Map (db m134971) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Old Town North — Cross Canal — Historic Site
This area, called "Cross Canal," was a neighborhood of black residents who settled across from the canal shortly after the Civil War. The canal, located just north of this marker, extended from the Potomac River to Washington Street, thence north to . . . — Map (db m129476) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Old Town North — Remnants of Lock #4 of the Alexandria Canal
These stones are remnants of Lock #4 of the Alexandria Canal which once occupied this site. Completed in 1843, the canal linked the Alexandria waterfront with the C & O Canal in Georgetown. — Map (db m131390) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Old Town North — The Tale of Spa Spring — Alexandria Heritage Trail — City of Alexandria, Virginia —
"Mr. A.C. made a daily visit to the spring, and attributed much of his usual good health to the Spa" (Alexandria Gazette 1862). Mineral springs are popular places to visit and Alexandria's Spa Spring was no exception. . . . — Map (db m147121) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Old Town North — Tide Lock of the Alexandria Canal
This tide lock of the Alexandria Canal was one of four lock that together lowered boats about 38 feet to the Potomac River and raised them for their return trip. The remains of the other locks are now buried under modern construction. This . . . — Map (db m129199) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Old Town West — Alexandria and Fredericksburg Railroad
The rails embedded in the brick sidewalk along this block of Fayette Street come from the Alexandria and Fredericksburg Railroad. Chartered in 1864 and completed to Quantico by 1872, this rail line ran in the street and spurred industrial growth in . . . — Map (db m115685) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Old Town West — Carver Nursery School / Post 129 — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
This modest, wood-frame building has played an important role in the segregated history of Alexandria. During World War II, the federal government encouraged women to join the war effort by providing safe and affordable day care. In Alexandria, as . . . — Map (db m129190) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Old Town West — Colross-Alexandria's Urban Phoenix — Alexandria Heritage Trail
For over a century, this two-acre block was occupied by a mansion known as Colross. Built in 1800 by John Potts, the mansion, with its outbuildings, gardens, orchard, and a "clover lot" was in effect a small plantation. Colross's owners . . . — Map (db m72384) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Old Town West — James Bland Homes
Funded by the U.S. Public Housing Administration and built by the Alexandria Housing and Redevelopment Authority (ARHA) between 1954 and 1959, the James Bland Homes was Alexandria's fourth public housing project, and it more than doubled the city's . . . — Map (db m72374) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Old Town West — Meade Memorial Episcopal Church Bell Tower
The 1990 enlargement of this church is dedicated to God's glory and to the memory of the Afro-American Christians, many of them emancipated slaves, who became the congregation of Meade Church by Action of the vestry of Christ Church in 1873, two . . . — Map (db m129187) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Old Town West — E-137 — Parker-Gray High School
Parker-Gray School opened on Wythe Street in 1920 to serve African American students in grades 1-8. Until upper-level classes were added in 1932, African Americans had to travel to the District of Columbia to attend high school. Civil rights . . . — Map (db m98083) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Old Town West — Robert Robinson Library 1940 — Alexandria Black Resource Center / History Museum - 1989
Panel 1: In the summer of 1939, Attorney Samuel W. Tucker organized six youths — William Evans, Otto Tucker, Edward Caddis, Morris Murray, Clarence Strange, and Robert Strange — for a “sit-in” at the segregated . . . — Map (db m141636) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Old Town West — Saint Joseph's Church — 1915-1990 — Alexandria, Virginia —
Under the guidance of the Most Reverend Denis J. O'Connell, Bishop of Richmond, Saint Joseph's Church was built by Father Joseph J. Kelly, of the Society of Saint Joseph (the Josephites) with the assistance of many benefactors, among them being the . . . — Map (db m129200) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Old Town West — Smoot Lumber Company Planing Mill
The Smoot Lumber Company Planing Mill was located in the southwest portion of this block. It was constructed in 1912 with W.A. Smoot & Co., Inc. and was designed by H.A. Riggs, a local Alexandria architect. This mill replaced an earlier mill located . . . — Map (db m129201) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Old Town West — The Hump: Open Lots For Blocks
The racially integrated working-class neighborhood known as the Hump, named for the high ground at its northern boundary, once spanned three blocks, centering on the 800 block of Montgomery Street. The Hump was first settled in the decade following . . . — Map (db m72500) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Old Town West — The Memorial Pool — Casualties of Segregation
African Americans in Alexandria suffered, along with other of their race, when a segregated system prevented them from enjoying recreation facilities in their hometown. From 1926 to 1951, the city had a municipal pool for white residents only. . . . — Map (db m80843) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Old Town West — E 147 — Third Baptist Church
Alexandria, occupied by Union troops in 1861, attracted many African Americans escaping slavery. In Jan. 1864, a group of formerly enslaved people organized Third Freedmen's Baptist Church (later Third Baptist Church). The congregation moved to this . . . — Map (db m140583) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Old Town West — War, Rails, and Wells — Alexandria Heritage Trail —
This city block became part of the Alexandria town grid in 1798. Near the rural outskirts of the developing town, the block remained vacant throughout the nineteenth century. Colross, a country estate, was established in the vicinity, and outside . . . — Map (db m70671) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Potomac West — Captain Rocky Versace Plaza and Vietnam Veterans Memorial
Captain Rocky Versace Plaza and Vietnam Veterans Memorial [In the center of the memorial:] ★ My son is ★ was ★ he often did ★ does ★ his eyes are ★ were brown ★ Tere Rios Versace . . . — Map (db m115677) WM
Virginia (Alexandria), Potomac West — Corporal Charles William Hill — 1949-1989
Charles W. Hill was born on February 22, 1949, in Suffolk County, New York. Charlie, as he was known to his friends, grew up on Long Island where he met his wife, Virginia. They married in 1971. Charlie was hired as a New York City Police Officer . . . — Map (db m115684) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Potomac West — Dr. Betty Louise Josephson King — 1943-2016
Betty King was a scientist, teacher, community activist, photographer, mother, grandmother, neighbor, and friend who lived in the Hume Springs neighborhood in north Alexandria from the early 1980's until she passed away in her home on Mark Drive on . . . — Map (db m130985) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Potomac West — George Washington High School
Dedicated to the memory of those of our boys who served in World War II and did not come back Erected by the graduating classes of 1943**1944**1945**1946**1947 (west side) Robert Rumshin • Herbert Joseph Petrello • Benjamin J. . . . — Map (db m80571) WM
Virginia (Alexandria), Potomac West — History at Four Mile Run Park — La historia de Four Mile Run
Four Mile Run and the course of its namesake waterway have changed dramatically over the centuries, partly due to natural events and partly to modern human engineering. Although a setting for a rich abundance of plant and animal . . . — Map (db m130987) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Potomac West — Mount Vernon Avenue — Town of Potomac — 1908 - 1929 —
Proposals for a modern road connecting the nation's capital with the Mount Vernon Estate were raised in 1888 and proceeded in fits and starts for the next forty-two years. By 1900, a patchwork of new roads and renamed existing roads had created . . . — Map (db m115149) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Potomac West — Original Federal Boundary Stone, District of Columbia, Southwest 2
Original Federal Boundary Stone District of Columbia Placed 1791-1792 Protected by Mt. Vernon Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution 1916 — Map (db m140876) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Potomac West — Potomac Town Hall and Firehouse — Town of Potomac — 1908 - 1929 —
Local citizens formed the Town of Potomac on March 13, 1908, to provide better services and promote growth. Taxes paid for police and public works projects, such as water and sewer service to replace polluted wells and outhouses. Electric . . . — Map (db m146442) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Potomac West — Potomac Yard History — Town of Potomac — 1908 - 1929 —
English settlers built several plantations on the site in the 18th century. The land, much owned by the Swann and Daingerfield families, became part of Alexandria County, D.C. with the creation of the District of Columbia in 1791, and retroceded to . . . — Map (db m115145) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Potomac West — Rosemont
Rosemont has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior as of August 24, 1992 — Map (db m133931) HM

270 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 70
Paid Advertisement
May. 29, 2020