Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Essex County New York Historical Markers

 
Rainbow Falls Hydroelectric Plant Marker image, Touch for more information
By Steve Stoessel, July 13, 2019
Rainbow Falls Hydroelectric Plant Marker
New York (Essex County), Ausable Chasm — Rainbow Falls Hydroelectric Plant
On County Route 71, on the left when traveling north.
Mechanics have known how to run machinery using the weight of falling water for centuries, but this sixty-foot drop at the head of AuSable Chasm proved difficult to harness. Early mills had to perch on the brink of the river, exposed to ice and . . . — Map (db m136716) HM
New York (Essex County), Crown Point — “His Majesty’s Fort of Crown Point”
Near Grandview Drive, on the left when traveling west.
“The fort is of wood, built in a most masterly manner. It has five Bastions, mounts 105 guns, and has casements for 4,000 Men, and to hold provisions de Guerre et de Bouche for four months. Within the Fort are good Stone Barracks for . . . — Map (db m11442) HM
New York (Essex County), Crown Point — Capture of Fort St. Frédéric
Near Grandview Drive, on the left when traveling west.
This tablet is erected by the Society of Colonial Wars in the State of New York AD 1912 to commemorate the capture of Fort St. Frédéric and the erection of this fortress AD 1759 by the British and Provincial Army commanded by General Sir Jeffrey . . . — Map (db m9336) HM
New York (Essex County), Crown Point — Crown Point: Military Focus
On Grandview Drive, on the right when traveling west.
The most practical mode of travel and communication through the wilderness separating French Canada and British North America during the 18th century was by water. The Sorel (Richelieu) River, Lake Champlain, Wood Creek, and the Hudson River . . . — Map (db m11434) HM
New York (Essex County), Crown Point — Eastern TerminusNorth Country National Scenic Trail
On Bridge Road (County Route 185), on the left when traveling east.
The North Country National Scenic Trail Stretching 4,600 miles through seven states, the North Country Trail is a premier hiking path that traverses, interprets and celebrates the unique natural, historic, cultural and ecological landscapes of . . . — Map (db m126284) HM
New York (Essex County), Crown Point — Fort St. Frédéric
Near Grandview Drive, on the right when traveling west.
Fort St. Frédéric consisted of an outer, bastioned limestone wall enclosing the Citadel, a four-story, eight-sided tower with walls twelve feet thick at the base. Cannon were mounted on each floor of the Citadel, and entry was gained by a drawbridge . . . — Map (db m11415) HM
New York (Essex County), Crown Point — NY-0 — Gen. Henry Knox Trail
Near Grandview Drive, on the left when traveling west.
On May 11, 1775 American forces took possession of Crown Point and 111 cannon of which 29, along with 30 from Fort Ticonderoga, made up the Noble Train of Artillery that Henry Knox delivered to Gen. George Washington to force the British out of . . . — Map (db m126079) HM
New York (Essex County), Crown Point — Israel Putnam
On Lake Road, on the left when traveling north.
182 feet north of this spot stood the oak to which Israel Putnam was tied and tortured by the Indians in 1758 — Map (db m9340) HM
New York (Essex County), Crown Point — Ruins of Pre-Revolutionary Village
Near Bridge Road (New York State Route 185), on the right when traveling south.
500 Ft Ruins of Pre-Revolutionary Village and Trading Post — Map (db m45964) HM
New York (Essex County), Crown Point — Samuel Champlain
Near Adirondack Road.
. . . — Map (db m76027) HM
New York (Essex County), Crown Point — Selecting a Bridge Location
In 1927, the Lake Champlain Bridge Commission considered six possible locations in the southern Lake Champlain region for a new bridge. The commission chose the Crown Point-Chimney Point site because it provided the best geological conditions. . . . — Map (db m126279) HM
New York (Essex County), Crown Point — The 1929 Lake Champlain Bridge
When it opened in 1929, the Lake Champlain Bridge became the first modern highway bridge to cross 120-mile-long Lake Champlain. Promoted as “the new gateway” between New York’s Adirondacks and Vermont’s Green Mountains, the bridge . . . — Map (db m126268) HM
New York (Essex County), Crown Point — The Barracks
Near Grandview Drive, on the left when traveling west.
These barracks were constructed in the fashionable Georgian style of the day, uncommon in the northern interior of New York in the mid-18th century. The soldiers’ barracks is composed of four dwelling units of four rooms. Each doorway opens into a . . . — Map (db m11443) HM
New York (Essex County), Crown Point — The British at Crown Point
On Grandview Drive, on the left when traveling west.
Following the French retreat from Crown Point in 1759, General Amherst embarked upon an ambitious plan to secure the area for Britain. An elaborate system of fortifications was begun on the Point; at times as many as 3,000 soldiers and artisans were . . . — Map (db m11437) HM
New York (Essex County), Crown Point — The French at Crown Point
On Grandview Drive, on the right when traveling west.
In 1730, the French erected a small wooden fort at Point a la Chevelure, now Chimney Point, Vermont, thereby taking control of territory claimed by Great Britain under the terms of the Treaty of Utrecht (1713). The following year, construction of . . . — Map (db m11435) HM
New York (Essex County), Crown Point — The Soldiers' Monument
On Creek Rd.
To the memory of the heroic volunteers of Crown Point, who gave their lives as a sacrifice for their country and humanity, in the suppression of the Great Rebellion of 1861-1865. This monument is erected by their grateful fellow . . . — Map (db m126316) WM
New York (Essex County), Crown Point — The White Flag
The white flag was the French naval ensign. It was also the flag flown over all forts that came under the royal authority in New France from the end of the seventeenth century until the British Conquest. — Map (db m126270) HM
New York (Essex County), Crown Point — Welcome To The Lake Champlain Bridge Heritage Area
The Lake Champlain Bridge Heritage Area includes Crown Point State Historic Site, the Lake Champlain Visitors Center, and the Crown Point State Campground in New York, Chimney Point State Historic Site in Vermont, as well as the bridge that . . . — Map (db m126282) HM
New York (Essex County), Elizabethtown — Edgar P. Wadhams
On U.S. 9, on the left when traveling north.
First bishop of the Diocese of Ogdensburg was born in this house May 21, 1817. He was consecrated May 5, 1872 - died December 5, 1891. — Map (db m136666) HM
New York (Essex County), Elizabethtown — Elizabethtown War Memorials
On Court Street (U.S. 9) at Park Street, on the left when traveling north on Court Street.
The Men of Elizabethtown Who served in the World War 1917-1919 Harry Metcalf, Oliver Mitchell, Hardy Sweet, William Hanchett denoted as having died while in service. further names were not transcribed In Memory of the Men and . . . — Map (db m137178) WM
New York (Essex County), Elizabethtown — John Brown’s Body
On Court Street (U.S. 9) at Park Street, on the left when traveling north on Court Street.
John Brown’s body guarded by local citizens rested in this court house on the night of Dec. 6, 1859 on its way to burial at his home in North Elba. — Map (db m136665) HM
New York (Essex County), Essex — World Wars Memorial
On Lake Shore Drive (New York State Route 22) at Station Street (New York State Route 22), on the left when traveling north on Lake Shore Drive.

In memory of those who gave their lives for their country in World War I and World War II. They shall, by their sacrifices, live forever among us. We honor the brave men and women of the Town of Essex who served our country . . . — Map (db m108924) HM

New York (Essex County), Historic Ironville — IronvilleBirthplace of the Electrical Age
On Penfield (Whitehead) Road at Creek Road (County Highway 2), on the right when traveling north on Penfield (Whitehead) Road.
Allen Penfield, Timothy Taft, and Allen Harwood pioneered the first industrial use of electricity in their iron works below the pond south of the marker. Thomas Davenport, the blacksmith of Brandon, Vermont, in 1833 bought the electro-magnet used . . . — Map (db m27491) HM
New York (Essex County), Jay — Village Green
On New York State Route 9N south of Mill Hill Road (New York State Route 86), on the right when traveling north.
Sited on lands donated by John Purmort, the Village Green dates to the town’s founding in 1798. The green and bandstand remain an integral part of Jay’s cultural history. — Map (db m137848) HM
New York (Essex County), Keeseville — Keeseville, New York War MemorialInto the Light
On Main Street (New York State Route 22) at Front Street (U.S. 9), on the right when traveling west on Main Street.
Our Community honors the courage, sacrifice and devotion of its veterans We always remember all who served, fought, and died in defense of America's freedom and who asked nothing in return. Let us not lose what they have gained. — Map (db m136857) WM
New York (Essex County), Keeseville — 561 — Mineral Spring
On Main Street east of Beach Street, on the left when traveling east.
Water from this spring was used medicinally & later sold in molded bottles as Dietade, flat or sparkling, from 1914 to 1942. William G. Pomeroy Foundation 2019 • 561Map (db m137823) HM
New York (Essex County), Keeseville — 431 — Thomas F. Conway
1859-1945 teacher, lawyer, politician, philanthropist & advocate for farmers and education. NY Lt. Governor 1911-1912. Buried here. — Map (db m132696) HM
New York (Essex County), Lake Placid — Henry J. Kaiser
On Main Street/Mirror Lake Drive (New York State Route 86), on the right when traveling north.
To Honor the Memory of Henry J. Kaiser The famous industrialist and philanthropist who operated a studio and photo shop on this site from 1901 to 1905 Brownell and Kaiser "Meet The Man with a Smile" He returned in June 1949 . . . — Map (db m46295) HM
New York (Essex County), Lake Placid — Kate Smith Memorial
On Mirrow Lake Drive.
In memory of Kate Smith 1907-1986. A legend of radio, records, stage, television, and screen and a Lake Placid resident for forty summers.

“God Bless America, My Home Sweet Home” — Map (db m100518) HM

New York (Essex County), Lake Placid — Sonja Henie Ice Fountain
On Main Street.
Dedicated on February 14, 1980 during the XIII Olympic Winter Games to the memory of Norway’s greatest figure skater Sonja Henie (1912-1969). Holder of 10 World Championships, 3 Olympic Gold Medals, the second awarded in Lake Placid at the 1932 . . . — Map (db m100520) HM
New York (Essex County), Lake Placid — The XIII Winter Olympic Games
Near Cascade Road (New York State Route 73), on the right when traveling north.
Here on February 13, 1980 The XIII Winter Olympic Games were opened by Vice President of the United States Walter F. Mondale and here the sacred Olympic Flame was brought from Olympia, Greece to shed its light for twelve days on the Quadrennial . . . — Map (db m46183) HM
New York (Essex County), Lewis — Atlas F Missle Silo Site in Lewis, NY and War Veterans
On U.S. 9, on the right when traveling north.
Cold War- In 1962 the United States constructed 12 Atlas F Missile Silos in the mountains of upstate New York. They were designed to strike Russia in the event of nuclear war. One was installed in Lewis, NY. At 52-feet wide and 176-feet deep, this . . . — Map (db m136670) HM WM
New York (Essex County), Lewis — 341 — Inez Milholland
On U.S. 9, on the left when traveling north on U.S. 9.
Lived and buried near here. Astride a white horse, led 1913 Suffrage Parade in Washington DC. Died at age 30 campaigning for women's right to vote. — Map (db m136667) HM
New York (Essex County), Lewis — 3 — Lewis Hotel and Central School
On U.S. 9 north of Fox Run Road, on the left when traveling north.
The Village of Lewis started to be developed in 1818. One of the first buildings was the Lewis Hotel owned and operated by David Sykes. It was located on the corner where Route 9 meets Fox Run Road until it burned down on October 1, 1961. The . . . — Map (db m136840) HM
New York (Essex County), Lewis — 5 — Maccabee Hall and Other Lewis Landmarks
On U.S. 9 south of Fox Run Road, on the left when traveling north.
Maccabee Hall was a space developed to hold meetings of the Knights and Ladies of the Maccabees. The Maccabees were a Jewish religious group that provided insurance.and was active in issues of fairness. In 1915 the Ladies of Maccabees changed to the . . . — Map (db m136850) HM
New York (Essex County), Lewis — Town of Lewis Veterans Park
On U.S. 9, on the right when traveling north.
Dedicated to all in this community who served in the armed forces during times of war and peace. names were not transcribedMap (db m136679) WM
New York (Essex County), Newcomb — Theodore RooseveltBecame President of the United States Near this Point
On New York State Route 28N 1.2 miles south of Tahawus Road (County Route 25), on the left when traveling south.
Near this point while driving hastily from Tahawus Club to North Creek at 2:15 A.M. Sept 14 1901 Theodore Roosevelt became President of the United States as William McKinley expired in Buffalo Relay Drivers David Hunter • Upper Works to Lower . . . — Map (db m137860) HM
New York (Essex County), North Elba — Here Lies Buried John Brown
Near John Brown Road 0.5 miles south of New York State Route 73, on the right.
John Brown of Osawatomie Here Lies Buried John Brown Born at Torrington, Connecticut May 9th, 1800 He emigrated to Kansas in 1855 where he took an active part in the contest against the pro-slavery party. He gained in August 1856 a . . . — Map (db m46521) HM
New York (Essex County), Port Henry — A Busy Iron Port
On Park Place east of Main Street (New York State Route 9N/22), on the left when traveling east.

The aerial photograph of Port Henry taken about 1925 leaves no question as to the nature of this place: a busy port shipping the products of its furnaces by water and by rail. Two new furnaces, begun in 1922, represented the latest technology. . . . — Map (db m109054) HM

New York (Essex County), Port Henry — A Busy Iron Port
On Park Place east of Main Street (New York State Route 9N/22), on the right when traveling east.

The aerial photograph of Port Henry taken about 1925 leaves no question as to the nature of this place: a busy port shipping the products of its furnaces by water and by rail. Two new furnaces, begun in 1922, represented the latest technology. . . . — Map (db m109055) HM

New York (Essex County), Port Henry — Cedar Point House
On Main Street (New York State Route 9N/22) at Tobey Street, on the left when traveling north on Main Street.

Inn and restaurant serving iron ore industry workers, railway workers, travelers, and visiting officials early 1880s to ca. 1964 — Map (db m109058) HM

New York (Essex County), Port Henry — Champ Sightings in Bulwagga Bay Area
On Main Street (New York State Route 9N/22) at Whitney Street, on the right when traveling north on Main Street.

Samuel de Champlain 1609

[List of Sightings not transcribed]

M. Mauth 7-7-90 [latest signing on sign] — Map (db m109078) HM

New York (Essex County), Port Henry — Champlain Academy
On Main Street (New York State Route 9N/22), on the left when traveling north.

Site of Port Henry's first tavern 1826. This building erected as Pease House 1850 — Map (db m108967) HM

New York (Essex County), Port Henry — Daisy Godfrey1889 - 1982

Capt. Godfrey was a pilot, operating canal boats on Lake Champlain and the Canal. Awarded the N. Atlantic Medal in WWII. — Map (db m108973) HM

New York (Essex County), Port Henry — Industrial Shoreline
On Park Place east of Main Street (New York State Route 9N/22), on the left when traveling east.

Iron processing changed the shoreline of Port Henry. When the New York and Canada Railroad was built in 1874, the tracks hugged the lake. That same year, a modern blast furnace was built at Cedar Point, just beyond the train station. Eight . . . — Map (db m109053) HM

New York (Essex County), Port Henry — Lake Champlain & Moriah Railroad: The "Elsie and Em"
On Park Place (New York State Route 9N/22) east of Main Street (New York State Route 9N/22), on the left when traveling east.

The Civil War's monstrous appetite for iron - for horse shoes, artillery, cannon balls, rifles, and armor plate - exposed the greatest obstacle to iron production in Moriah: getting ore from the mines to the lake shore. Even 100 teams of horses . . . — Map (db m109033) HM

New York (Essex County), Port Henry — LC&M Caboose
On Park Place east of Main Street (New York State Route 9N/22), on the left when traveling east.

This caboose was built in 1946 at Fisher Hill Shop, Mineville N.Y. It is constructed from an iron ore car and weighs 16 tons. The Lake Champlain and Moriah Railroad used this caboose on the main line from Mineville to Port Henry to haul iron . . . — Map (db m109056) HM

New York (Essex County), Port Henry — Meacham House
On Main Street (New York State Route 9N/22) at Meacham Street, on the left when traveling north on Main Street.

Built in 1818 by Capt. William Meacham — Map (db m109076) HM

New York (Essex County), Port Henry — 273 — Office Bldg
On Park Place.
of Witherbee and Sherman Iron Ore Company, part of Franklin Patent 1765. Built ca. 1875 donated to Town of Moriah in 1959. — Map (db m133077) HM
New York (Essex County), Port Henry — 273 — Office Building of Witherbee and Sherman Iron Ore Company
On Park Place east of Main Street (New York State Route 9N/22), on the left when traveling east.

Part of Franklin Patent 1765. Built ca. 1875 Donated to town of Moriah in 1959. — Map (db m109017) HM

New York (Essex County), Port Henry — Powerhouse ParkCommemorating the site of the former Port Henry Powerplant, demolished in 1971

Powerhouse Park still serves as a staging area for ice fishing shanties during the winter and remains of the old Port Henry Powerhouse form its boundary along Mill Creek.

A mixture of six parts mine tailings to one park concrete was used to . . . — Map (db m108982) HM

New York (Essex County), Port Henry — Realizing a Dream: the Rolling Stock Display
On Park Place east of Main Street (New York State Route 9N/22), on the left when traveling east.

As the idea for a Railroad and Mining Heritage Park took shape in the early 1990s, a few people shared a great dream. Most evidence of Moriah's proud mining heritage had been demolished, but railroad equipment could help people visualize a part . . . — Map (db m109040) HM

New York (Essex County), Port Henry — Shore Line
On Main Street (New York State Route 9N/22), on the right when traveling north.

of Butterfield's Bay Boats were moored along north Main Street before building of railroad through here — Map (db m108966) HM

New York (Essex County), Port Henry — Site of First Blast Furnace
On Main Street (New York State Route 9N/22), on the right when traveling north.

Erected in 1824 by Major James Dalliba Converted into Stove Works in 1827. — Map (db m108968) HM

New York (Essex County), Port Henry — Site of Porter's and Lewis's Mills
On Main Street (New York State Route 9N/22) at the south end of Mill Brook Bridge, on the left when traveling north on Main Street.

Built 1766; supplied lumber for Fort Crown Point and Arnold's Fleet[.] Entire valley dependent on grist mill. — Map (db m108972) HM

New York (Essex County), Port Henry — Teamsters, Dock Wallopers and Child Captains

The first of Port Henry's many iron furnaces was erected just west of here in 1822. Throughout the 19th century new furnaces, crushers, concentrating plants, and casting houses were added to increase production.

The key to the success of . . . — Map (db m108995) HM

New York (Essex County), Port Henry — The 1929 Lake Champlain Bridge

The first Lake Champlain Bridge between Crown Point, New York, and Chimney Point, Vermont, opened in 1929. Primarily serving tourists when it opened, it ultimately became an important connection for residents and businesses across the region. A . . . — Map (db m108975) HM

New York (Essex County), Port Henry — The 1929 Lake Champlain Bridge
On Park Place east of Main Street (New York State Route 9N/22), on the left when traveling east.

Charles M. Spofford, an engineer of the Boston firm Fay, Spofford & Thorndike, designed the 1929 Lake Champlain Bridge. It was the first American highway bridge to employ a continuous truss design to create a curving transition between the deck . . . — Map (db m109074) HM

New York (Essex County), Port Henry — The 2011 Lake Champlain Bridge

On November 7, 2011, after 25 months without a bridge, traffic once again began to flow over Lake Champlain at the Crown Point-Chimney Point crossing. The opening of the new Lake Champlain Bridge restored the vital transportation link between . . . — Map (db m108976) HM

New York (Essex County), Port Henry — Veterans Memorial
On Park Place east of Main Street (New York State Route 9N/22), on the left when traveling east.

In appreciation to all Town of Moriah Veterans past and present who served in the Armed Forces

[Dedicated] December 2007 — Map (db m109029) WM

New York (Essex County), Port Henry — Village of Port HenryEssex County N.Y. — Incorporated May 1, 1869 —
On Main Street (New York State Route 9N/22) at Broad Street, on the left when traveling north on Main Street.

Porter's Mills built by Benjamin Porter 1765 Burned during the Revolution: rebuilt 1786 Became Lewis' Mills 1789

First Post Office established 1827

Called Port Henry in honor of Henry Huntington of Rome, N.Y.

St. Patrick's . . . — Map (db m108965) HM

New York (Essex County), Port Henry — Witherbee Park and Town Hall
On Park Place east of Main Street (New York State Route 9N/22), on the right when traveling east.

Deeded to the Town of Moriah May 25, 1959 by Witherbee Sherman Corporation — Map (db m109030) HM

New York (Essex County), Port Henry — World War I Memorial Honor Roll1917 - 1918 — Town of Moriah, New York —
On Main Street (New York State Route 9N/22) north of Henry Street, on the left when traveling north.

Killed in Action Edward Carlson · Army • Wm. Henry Smith · Army

Died of Wounds Thomas Clark · Army

Died in Service Thomas H. Breen · Army • Robert F. Compton · Army Lyle Hatch · Tank Service • William Hanchett · Army . . . — Map (db m108996) WM

New York (Essex County), Schroon — State Land
On New York State Route 74 0.2 miles east of Letsonville Road, on the right when traveling east.
1885 1935 State Land. Entering forest preserve. Acquired 1928 to 1931. A part of 2,370,000 acres of wild forest maintained for free public use. — Map (db m138501) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — “The Black Watch”A.D. 1925
On Sandy Redoubt, on the right when traveling east.
The Saint Andrews Society of Glens Falls, N.Y. erected this tablet to commemorate the heroic gallantry of the 42d Regiment of Foot better known as “The Royal Highlanders” of “The Black Watch” who on July 8, 1758 lost here in . . . — Map (db m9561) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — “The Black Watch”
On Sandy Redoubt, on the left when traveling east.
Sacred to the memory of the gallant Highlanders of the 42nd Regiment of Foot “The Black Watch” From a regiment a thousand strong 205 died and 287 were wounded July 8, 1758 assaulting the French lines on the heights of Carillon - Their . . . — Map (db m9579) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — 150th Anniversary of the Capture of This Fort
Near Sandy Redoubt, on the right when traveling east.
1775 - - - 1925 In commemoration of the one hundred and fiftieth anniversary of the capture of this fort May 10th 1775 which was the beginning of the War of the Revolution in the State of New York and in memory of the brave men French, British and . . . — Map (db m9455) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — 1756 French Saw Mill on La Chute River
On Tower Avenue at Burgoyne Road / Rogers Street, on the right when traveling north on Tower Avenue.
In 1756 the French erected a mill on the river opposite this spot for sawing and preparing timbers used in Fort Carillon, renamed Fort Ticonderoga when captured by General Amherst in 1759. General Abercromby used the saw mill as his headquarters . . . — Map (db m125190) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — 200th Anniversary of Washington’s Inspection
Near Sandy Redoubt, on the right when traveling east.
This commemorative tablet erected and dedicated in observance of the 200th anniversary of General George Washington’s inspection to Fort Ticonderoga and the Champlain Valley. July 1783                            July . . . — Map (db m9548) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — A landscape filled with legend and activity . . .Champlain Valley Heritage Network
On New York State Route 9N, on the left when traveling south.
British soldiers who chose not to return to England following the Seven Years War mustered out of the army to settle on land they had seen during the campaigns against the French. The sandy loam soil around Streetroad has sustained a diversity of . . . — Map (db m19722) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — A Layered Legacy
      This fertile plain was once the floor of a prehistoric sea that receded to create Lake Champlain. When the French built Fort Carillon, known to the English as Ticonderoga, these rich lowlands supported a large garden to supplement the . . . — Map (db m126311) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — A Layered Legacy
      This fertile plain was once the floor of a prehistoric sea that receded to create Lake Champlain. When the French built Fort Carillon, known to the English as Ticonderoga, these rich lowlands supported a large garden to supplement the limited . . . — Map (db m126329) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — A Soldier of France
On Sandy Redoubt, on the right when traveling south.
Here lie the bones of a soldier of France found under the Northwest Bastion of the Fort in November 1900 Rest in Peace — Map (db m9654) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — 2 — A Way to the World
Near Montcalm Street (State Highway 74) 0.2 miles west of Mountain Road (State Highway 22), on the right when traveling west.
The La Chute River supplied more than power for the mills. It also connected to Lake Champlain and the wider world. People and goods traveled much more easily by water than by land, so the corridor formed by Lake Champlain, Lake George and the . . . — Map (db m125180) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — Abercrombie's Landing
On Baldwin Road 0.1 miles south of Howes Landing, on the left when traveling south.
Fifteen thousand men landed here to attack Ticonderoga which was successfully defended by Montcalm July, 1758 — Map (db m45273) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — Artillery Park
On The Portage, on the right when traveling south.
Along this site in July, 1759, British forces under Amherst erected an artillery battery to attack the French Fort at Carillon, which they seized and named Fort Ticonderoga. — Map (db m10078) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — Breaking Ground
      Inspired by the 18th-century military gardens Sarah G. T. Pell established the first ornamental garden on this site as the fort was being reconstructed. In 1912 Alfred Bossom, who designed the reconstruction, enclosed the flower garden with a . . . — Map (db m126315) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — Breaking Ground
      Inspired by the 18th-century military gardens Sarah G. T. Pell established the first ornamental garden on this site as the fort was being reconstructed. In 1912 Alfred Bossom, who designed the reconstruction, enclosed the flower garden with a . . . — Map (db m126327) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — Carillon Bridge
On Montcalm Street, on the right when traveling east.
Near this spot in 1755-1756 Michel de Chartier de Lotbiniére engineer of Fort Carillon, bridged this stream and harnessed this waterpower for the first time. Sawmills, storehouses and barracks were located here, being within the Seignory of . . . — Map (db m15590) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — Carillon Outpost
On Baldwin Road (County Route 5) 0.1 miles south of Howes Landing, on the right when traveling south.
Major post on Lake George, a small palisaded log fort, built in 1756 to defend Fort Carillon from British attack, & named Camp De Contrecoeur, stood in this vicinity. — Map (db m45104) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — Carillon ParkDedicatory Plaque
There is a joy in footing slow across a silent plain, where patriot battle has been fought, when glory was the gain. There is a joy in every spot made known by times of old - new to the feet, through each tale a hundred times be told. - Keats . . . — Map (db m15591) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — Carillon, July 8-1758 - 1958-13 JuilletBicentenaire Bicentennial — General Marquis de Montcalm 1712-1759 —
On Sandy Redout Road 0.3 miles east of Fort Ticonderoga Road (New York State Route 74), on the right when traveling east.
Chretten! Ce ne fut Point Montcalm et la Prudence ces arbres renverses, ces heros, leurs exploits qui des anglats confus ont Brish l’esperance c’est le bras de ton dieu vainqueur sur cette croix! (Montcalm A Sa Mere, 21 Juillet 1758) Here after . . . — Map (db m138497) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — Cliff Seat
On U.S. 9N, on the right when traveling south.
Birthplace & home of Joseph Cook, world famous lecturer and Ticonderoga’s foremost town historian. Cliff Seat, a magnificent 19th century mansion, burned in 1991. — Map (db m126233) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — Colonel Ethan Allen
Near Sandy Redoubt, on the right when traveling east.
Dedicated to the memory of the gallant band of Patriots led by Colonel Ethan Allen who on the 10th of May, 1775 captured this important fortress and secured for the Americans a valuable base of operations on Lakes George and Champlain. Erected by . . . — Map (db m9452) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — Colonel John Brown
Near Sandy Redoubt, on the right when traveling east.
of Pittsfield, Mass. killed October 19th, 1780 at Stone Arabia, N.Y. on his thirty-fifth birthday. Was with Ethan Allen, May 10th, 1775. Made a gallant attempt to retake the fort September 17th to 22nd, 1777 but failed owing to the sturdy defence . . . — Map (db m9484) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — Colonial Battles Fought in this VicinityA.D. 1900
On Sandy Redoubt, on the right when traveling east.
The Society of Colonial Wars in the State of New York erected this tablet to commemorate the colonial battles fought in this vicinity. Champlain with Hurons and Algonquins defeated the Iroquois July 30, 1609 near the shore. Montcalm defeated . . . — Map (db m9560) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — Death of Lord Howe
On Lord Howe Street 0.1 miles south of Schuyler Street, on the right when traveling north. Reported missing.
Near this spot, July 6, 1758 Lord George Augustus Howe was killed in a skirmish preceding Abercrombie’s defeat by Montcalm at Fort Carillon. — Map (db m6141) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — Eighteen Colonial SoldiersR.I.P.
On Sandy Redoubt, on the right when traveling south.
Here are interred the bones of Eighteen Colonial Soldiers found near the Old Military Road in Ticonderoga Village on Nov. 1st 1924 — Map (db m9650) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — Fort Carillon
Near Sandy Redoubt, on the right when traveling east.
Built by the French 1755-1758 General James Abercrombie defeated by the Marquis de Montcalm, July 8, 1758 Captured by Sir Jeffery Amherst July 27, 1759 and renamed Fort Ticonderoga Captured by Ethan Allen May 10, 1775 Captured by Sir John Burgoyne . . . — Map (db m9447) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — Fort TiconderogaHistoric New York
On Sandy Redoubt, on the right when traveling east.
During the 18th century, when nations fought to control the strategic route between the St. Lawrence River in Canada and the Hudson River to the south, the fortification overlooking the outlet of Lake George into Lake Champlain was called “the . . . — Map (db m9094) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — From this point south…
On The Portage, on the right when traveling south.
From this point south, this street follows the route of the Indian carry between the lakes and of Montcalm’s military road traversed by Washington and Franklin during the Revolution. Erected by Ticonderoga Chapter Daughters of the American . . . — Map (db m9090) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — Garrison Cemetery
On Sandy Redoubt, on the right when traveling south.
Here are buried several hundred officers and men of the American Army, chiefly New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania Militia 1775-77. — Map (db m9582) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — Garrison Garden
Eighteenth century soldiers lived largely on portable food. On the march, their diet consisted of flour, rice, dried peas and beans, salted or pickled meat – goods that could travel in bags or barrels without spoiling. In Europe, soldiers . . . — Map (db m126326) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — NY-1 — Gen. Henry Knox Trail
Near Sandy Redoubt, on the right when traveling east.
From this fortress went Gen. Henry Knox in the winter of 1775-1776 to deliver to Gen. George Washington at Cambridge the train of artillery from Fort Ticonderoga used to force the British Army to evacuate Boston Erected by The State of New York . . . — Map (db m9780) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — NY-4 — Gen. Henry Knox Trail
On Black Point Road at Mossy Point Road, on the right when traveling south on Black Point Road.
Through this place passed Gen. Henry Knox in the winter of 1775-1776 to deliver to Gen. George Washington at Cambridge the train of artillery from Fort Ticonderoga used to force the British Army to evacuate Boston Erected by The State of New York . . . — Map (db m9799) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — NY-3 — Gen. Henry Knox Trail
On Montcalm Street, on the right when traveling east.
Through this place passed Gen. Henry Knox in the winter of 1775-1776 to deliver to Gen. George Washington at Cambridge the train of artillery from Fort Ticonderoga used to force the British Army to evacuate Boston Erected by The State of New York . . . — Map (db m9801) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — NY-2 — Gen. Henry Knox Trail
On Fort Ticonderoga Entrance Road, on the right when traveling east.
Through this place passed Gen. Henry Knox in the winter of 1775-1776 to deliver to Gen. George Washington at Cambridge the train of artillery from Fort Ticonderoga used to force the British Army to evacuate Boston Erected by The State of New York . . . — Map (db m21046) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — George Augustus Viscount Howe
On Sandy Redoubt, on the right when traveling east.
To commemorate the heroic gallantry and noble character of George Augustus Viscount Howe Brigadier-General of His Majesty’s Forces in America. Killed near Trout Brook two days before the great battle of Carillon July 6, 1758. His death an . . . — Map (db m9562) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — 344 — Grace Leach
On Montcalm Street at Lord Howe Street, on the right when traveling east on Montcalm Street.
Born near this site in 1906 she became the first woman to climb the Adirondack 46 high peaks, completing her climbs in 1937. — Map (db m126177) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — Grand Carry Landing
On Montcalm Street, on the right when traveling east.
This tablet marks the landing for the grand carry on the Great War Trail between the Indian tribes of the north and south country. It also marks the beginning of that carry between the lakes to avoid the falls and rapids, which later became the . . . — Map (db m16309) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — Hancock HouseJuly 8, 1925
On Montcalm Street at Wicker Street, on the right when traveling west on Montcalm Street.
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior. — Map (db m31281) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — Historic English Gate
In 1913, Sarah Pell went to Europe looking for artifacts to furnish the King’s Garden and Fort grounds. At a shop in London specializing in historic architectural fragments and antique garden ornaments, she found a set of “leaf work gates of . . . — Map (db m126312) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — Historic Waterways
Near Sandy Redoubt.
Lake Champlain, 125-miles long, flows northward into the Richelieu River which, in turn, flows into the St. Lawrence River. From Ticonderoga, the lake stretches another 25 miles south to its end near present-day Whitehall, New York. During the . . . — Map (db m126174) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — History of Fort Ticonderoga
Near Sandy Redoubt.
TiconderogaThe Lake Champlain Valley has long been at the crossroads of nations and peoples. The name Ticonderoga is a corruption of an Iroquoian word meaning a, “place between two waters,” an acknowledgement of its location which . . . — Map (db m126401) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — Hon. Clayton Harris DeLano
On Montcalm Street, on the right when traveling east.
Tribute to the memory of Hon. Clayton Harris DeLano, LL.B. Christian Gentleman Leading Industrialist Honored Citizen. Born, Ticonderoga, 1836 – Died, 1920 Member of Assembly 1869-71. Active in all movements for advancement of education and . . . — Map (db m16310) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — Hut Sites
On Sandy Redoubt, on the right when traveling east.
Within a radius of one-half mile were 150 huts occupied by American troops in the Revolution 1775 – 1777. — Map (db m9577) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — Indian Trail
On U.S. 9, on the right when traveling north.
Through this pass to Trout Brook ran an Indian Trail, used by Robert Rogers after Battle on Snowshoes, 1758, on retreat to Fort Wm. Henry — Map (db m9533) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — Indian Trail
On Baldwin Road, on the right when traveling south.
Battling French & Indians and on retreat from Snowshoe Battle in 1758, Rogers' Rangers crossed over this mountain where Rogers staged his legendary escape at Rogers Rock on Lake George. — Map (db m45765) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — Liberty Monument
On Moses Circle.
For hastening to set a crown of freedom on this new land we lie possessed of praise that grows not old. And here were men coequal with their fate who did great things unconscious they were great. Back of Monument: Champlain – Iroquois . . . — Map (db m15593) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — Lord & Burnham Estate Greenhouse
Landscape architect Marian Coffin designed a new plan for the King’s Garden in the early 1920s. The plan specified thousands of colorful annuals set amongst perennials. Ms. Coffin’s plans calls for more plants than could possibly be raised in this . . . — Map (db m126323) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — Lord Howe’s Grave
On The Portage at Treadway Street, on the right when traveling south on The Portage.
On October 3rd, 1889, a workman digging a trench opened by mere accident across the street from this point, a grave which contained the skeleton of a man, and within this grave found, at its head, a stone, now in the Black Watch Library in this . . . — Map (db m9539) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — Men of Ticonderoga
On The Portage at Champlain Avenue, on the right when traveling south on The Portage.
In memory of the men of Ticonderoga who offered their lives in defense of their country Side of Monument: The gift of Clayton H. DeLano A lover of his native townMap (db m16314) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — Military Heroes of Ticonderoga
On The Portage, on the right when traveling south.
. . . — Map (db m16311) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — Mount Defiance
On The Portage at Defiance Street, on the left when traveling south on The Portage.
Cannon placed on the summit of Mt. Defiance by British artillery officers under Burgoyne July, 1777 forced evacuation of Ft. Ticonderoga. — Map (db m21050) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — Near this spot stood Montcalm1712 - - - 1759
Near Sandy Redoubt, on the right when traveling east.
Near this spot stood Louis-Joseph de Gozon Marquis de Montcalm on the 8th of July 1758. With a small force of French troops and Canadian volunteers, he prevented the capture of Fort Carillon by defeating a much superior British and Colonial army . . . — Map (db m9573) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — Old Military Road
On The Portage at Crown Heights, on the right on The Portage.
Along this street ran the old military road fortified in 1759 by General Amherst prior to the siege at Fort Ticonderoga. — Map (db m9091) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — Old Military RoadCrown Point to Ticonderoga — 1689 – 1783 —
On U.S. 9 at Shore Airport Road (County Route 43), on the right when traveling north on U.S. 9.
Used by troops during early Colonial Wars and during the American Revolution. — Map (db m9339) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — Original Carillon Bridge
On Montcalm Street, on the right when traveling east.
Site of the original Carillon Bridge C. 1755 Called ‘The Long Bridge’ for over a century, the bridge was officially named Carillon in 1933. The present bridge was reconstructed in 1990 by Reale Construction Co., Inc. — Map (db m15589) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — Rivière de La Chute
Near Tower Avenue 0.1 miles north of Montcalm Street, on the right when traveling north.
. . . — Map (db m125097) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — Rogers’ Rangers
On U.S. 9, on the left when traveling north. Reported missing.
Robert Rogers and 74 of his Rangers in Jan. 1757 in this vicinity fought superior French forces for several hours and successfully escaped. — Map (db m9537) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — 3 — Sharing the Flow
Near Montcalm Street (Route 74) at Cannonball Path, on the right when traveling west.
The waterfall in front of you spans only half of its original width. The left half disappeared long ago into Ticonderoga Pulp and Paper Company (later, International Paper Company) penstocks. The remainder of the waterfall fed both the American . . . — Map (db m125185) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — Split 13-inch MortarEnglish ca. 1760-1775
Near Fort Ti Road (New York State Route 74) 1.5 miles east of Mountain Road (New York State Route 22).
On August 1, 1776 this English mortar exploded at Ticonderoga during a test firing. In the War of 1812, this piece was used as ballast in an American warship on Lake Champlain. It was in the remains of that vessel that this fragment was recovered in . . . — Map (db m125192) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — Streetroad Cemetery
On New York State Route 9N, on the left when traveling south.
One of the earliest common burying grounds of historic Ticonderoga. Memorialized here are many first settlers, early doctors and supervisors, the town’s first State Senator, veterans of the Revolutionary, 1812, and Civil Wars. Last burial of a Civil . . . — Map (db m11711) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — Summit of Mount Defiance
Near Mt. Defiance Street, on the right when traveling east.
Marker #1: Two historic waterways converge at Ticonderoga. Long before the region became important to European powers, Native Americans made a portage here for carrying canoes and gear between Lake George and Lake Champlain. The five-mile-long . . . — Map (db m19882) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — The Carillon Battlefield
On Sandy Redoubt, on the right when traveling east.
In the mid-18th century, this battlefield was a focal point in the Seven Years’ War, a world war between France and Great Britain. Here the two super-powers struggled for control of the Lake Champlain Lake George water highway, the strategic . . . — Map (db m9590) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — The French Lines
On Sandy Redoubt, on the right when traveling east.
Built by troops under Montcalm July 6-7, 1758. Repaired by American troops 1776. — Map (db m9565) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — The French Lines & Carillon Battlefield
On Sandy Redoubt, on the left when traveling west.
The earthen walls in front of you, called the French Lines, are the remains of a defensive wall built in the eighteenth century to defend Fort Ticonderoga from attack. The French Lines as you see them today are the original un-restored remains of . . . — Map (db m126143) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — 1 — The Power of Water
On Montcalm Street (New York State Route 74) at Cannonball Path, on the right when traveling west on Montcalm Street.
The waters of Lake George falling over Bicentennial Falls today form a pretty backdrop for Bicentennial Park. For more than two hundred years this waterfall also produced power. Beginning with a French sawmill in 1756, soldiers, later followed by . . . — Map (db m125183) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — Through this entrance . . .
On Sandy Redoubt, on the right when traveling east.
1776                         1929 Through this entrance to the place D’Armes of the fort have passed George Washington, Ethan Allen, Benjamin Franklin, Seth Warner, Benedict Arnold, . . . — Map (db m9449) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — Tower Avenue Grindstones
On Tower Avenue at Mccormick Street, on the right when traveling north on Tower Avenue.
The grindstones lining this street were used by the early mills operating in the 1800’s. The mills were located in the entire area of the falls on the La Chute River. They were salvaged by Vincent Strebe and erected in 1978. . . . — Map (db m125100) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — Troops of Colonial Wars at Ticonderoga
On Sandy Redoubt, on the right when traveling south.
In tribute to the heroism of the troops under the unfortunate Maj. Gen’l. James Abercromby in the attack on the French lines, July 8th, 1758, to mark the capture of Fort Carillon by Lieut. Gen’l. Sir Jeffrey Amherst July 27th, 1759 and, to record . . . — Map (db m9585) HM
New York (Essex County), Westport — First Sawmill
On New York State Route 22 at Dudley Road, on the left when traveling south on State Route 22.
in the town of Westport stood here. Built 1770 Boards from mill used in building barracks at Crown Point & Ticonderoga — Map (db m126242) HM
New York (Essex County), Westport — Northwest Bay Road
On U.S. 9N, on the left when traveling south.
Began prior to 1810, from Westport via Elizabethtown, Lake Placid, Saranac Lake, Santa Clara, Hopkinton. — Map (db m126263) HM
New York (Essex County), Westport — Toll-Gate House
On U.S. 9N, on the right when traveling south.
Site of Toll-Gate House Westport to Elizabethtown Turnpike   Built 1845. Collections ceased 1912 P. F. Boyle, last tollkeeper — Map (db m126258) HM
New York (Essex County), Wilmington — New York World War Veterans Memorial Highway
On Whiteface Memorial Highway (New York State Route 431), on the right when traveling south.
New York World War Veterans Memorial Highway Surveyed 1928 • Completed 1937 During the Administrations of Governors Alfred E. Smith Franklin D. Roosevelt Herbert H. Lehman * * * * * Whiteface Mountain Highway Commission William . . . — Map (db m46148) HM

135 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement