Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Summit County Ohio Historical Markers

 
1797 Portage Path Survey Marker and Stones image, Touch for more information
By William Fischer, Jr., June 8, 2011
1797 Portage Path Survey Marker and Stones
Ohio (Summit County), Akron — 1797 Portage Path Survey — Trail Stones Identify Portage Path
On Portage Path at Merriman Road, on the right when traveling north on Portage Path.
This series of flat stones has been laid on the ground to mark the actual trail of the Portage Path as it was surveyed by Moses Warren in 1797. From here, the trail winds southwest and then southerly and up the hill through the park. Then North . . . — Map (db m48754) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Akron — 32-77 — 1936 Akron Rubber Strike
On Mill Street near High Street (Ohio Route 261), on the left when traveling east.
Five Depression-era strikes against many of Akron's rubber companies culminated in a giant "sit-down" strike against Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company, the industry's leader, in February and March of 1936. The fledgling United Rubber Workers (URW), . . . — Map (db m43625) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Akron — 29-77 — Airdock
On Triplett Boulevard (Ohio Route 241), on the right when traveling east.
A colossus of engineering acumen and structural steel, the Airdock was built in 1929 as the construction facility for the U.S. Navy's rigid airships, the USS Akron (1931) and USS Macon (1933). The airships, or dirigibles, served as . . . — Map (db m43475) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Akron — Alaskan Totem Pole
Presented to the All-American Soap Box Derby by the Juneau, Alaska, Rotary Club Original of this pole stands at Wrangell, Alaska, where since 1890 it has served as a memorial to the Kiksadi chief, Kolteen ...the monument consists . . . — Map (db m48713) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Akron — 24-77 — Astronaut Judith Resnik
On Fairfax Road at Rampart Avenue, on the right when traveling east on Fairfax Road.
"The future doesn't belong to the fainthearted; it belongs to the brave. The Challenger crew was pulling us into the future and we'll continue to follow..." President Ronald Reagan As the second American woman in space, Judith Resnik . . . — Map (db m43539) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Akron — Creating Crossroads of Commerce — Ohio & Erie Canalway
On Main Street at Market Street (Ohio Route 18/162), on the right when traveling south on Main Street.
You are near "Hall's Corners," the center of Akron's first business district, named after the general store that once stood at the corner of Market and Howard streets. Across Market Street from where you are standing, was the Empire House, the most . . . — Map (db m48848) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Akron — Dr. Bob's Home
On Ardmore Avenue at Everett Avenue, on the left when traveling east on Ardmore Avenue.
The home of Dr. Bob & Anne Smith from 1916 to 1950 Co-founder of Alcoholics Anonymous ————— The birthplace of Alcoholics Anonymous June 10, 1935 Akron, Ohio This property is listed in the . . . — Map (db m48847) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Akron — 38-77 — Elm Court / Our Lady of the Elms — Arthur Hudson Marks (1874 - 1939) / Sisters of St. Dominic
Side A: Elm Court Arthur Hudson Marks (1874-1939) Elm Court, designed by Howard Van Doren Shaw of Illinois, was built in 1912 for Arthur Hudson Marks. The original mansion exemplifies the Italian Renaissance Revival style. Elm Court . . . — Map (db m43505) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Akron — 23-77 — Franklin Augustus "F. A." Seiberling and The Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company
On Market Street (Ohio Route 18), on the right when traveling east.
Industrialist and entrepreneur Franklin Augustus Seiberling (1859-1955) named his fledgling rubber goods manufacturing company "Goodyear" to honor Charles Goodyear, the man who invented the vulcanization process for curing rubber. Seiberling . . . — Map (db m43451) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Akron — 36-77 — Glendale Steps
On Glendale Avenue (Ohio Route 162), on the right when traveling west.
Built over a two-year period, from 1936-1937, by the Federal Works Progress Administration, the Glendale Steps survive as a monument to the work of stone craftsmen during the Great Depression. Spanning a 200-foot slope, the purpose of the Glendale . . . — Map (db m43554) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Akron — 17-77 — Howard Street District
On Howard Street at Martin Luther King Jr Blvd (Ohio Route 59), on the right when traveling north on Howard Street.
Side A: The center of African-American culture in Akron during the mid-20th century, Howard Street was home to many of the city's black-owned business and entertainment establishments, and provided an atmosphere in which minority-owned . . . — Map (db m43566) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Akron — 30-77 — Karl Arnstein
On Triplett Boulevard (Ohio Route 241), on the right when traveling east.
The innovations of Dr. Karl Arnstein (1887-1974), an aerospace industry pioneer, form the foundation for lighter-than-air technology in use today. His mathematical proof and application of modern stress analysis allowed the construction of larger, . . . — Map (db m43454) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Akron — 41-77 — Middlebury Cemetery
On Newton Street at Barder Avenue, on the right when traveling west on Newton Street.
This burying ground was the first public cemetery located within Akron's boundaries. It was also known as the "Old Cemetery" and the "Newton Street Cemetery." Deacon Titus Chapman donated this land in 1808 as a burying ground, and he was probably . . . — Map (db m43444) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Akron — 7-77 — Middlebury Lodge No. 34 F.&A.M.
On Market Street at Exchange Street, on the right when traveling east on Market Street.
On December 21, 1818, The Grand Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons of Ohio granted a Charter to Middlebury Lodge No. 34 marking the beginning of Freemasonry in Summit County. The Lodge was located on Case Avenue, then known as Water Street. Two . . . — Map (db m43446) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Akron — Motorless Flight
On Triplett Boulevard (Ohio Route 241), on the right when traveling east.
To honor the pioneering spirit and enthusiam of the Citizens of Akron who supported the significant advances to motorless flight from 1929 to 1936 a commemorative flight today re-enacts the first towed glider flight 50 years ago . . . — Map (db m48712) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Akron — 1-77 — Portage Path
On Portage Path / Diagonal Road at Copley Road, on the right when traveling south on Portage Path / Diagonal Road.
You are standing on the famous portage, carrying-place between the Cuyahoga and Tuscarawas rivers. The two streams and the portage across the watershed formed an early route between Lake Erie and the Ohio River. First the Indians, then French and . . . — Map (db m43550) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Akron — Portage Path North Terminus
The North Terminus canoe landing of the Portage Path was located here along the Cuyahoga River. The 1797 survey of the trail began at a black cherry tree on the south bank of the river. If standing today, that tree would be in the middle of the . . . — Map (db m48846) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Akron — 6-77 — Site of Sojourner Truth's Speech on Women's Rights
On High Street (Ohio Route 261), on the left when traveling south.
On this site on May 29, 1851, Sojourner Truth, a former slave, gave her world famous "And Ain't I a Woman?" speech, recalling the hardships she had endured. Active in both the Abolitionist and Women's Rights Movements, she electrified an audience . . . — Map (db m43726) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Akron — 19-77 — Stan Hywet Hall
On Portage Path at Garman Road, on the left when traveling north on Portage Path.
The former "country estate" of the Frank A. Seiberling family, Stan Hywet Hall is one of the finest examples of Tudor Revival architecture in the United States. "F.A." Seiberling (1859-1955) co-founded the Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company in 1898 and . . . — Map (db m43508) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Akron — 40-77 — The Gate Lodge, Stan Hywet Hall & Gardens — Birthplace of Alcoholics Anonymous
Side A: The Gate Lodge, Stan Hywet Hall & Gardens Completed in 1915, the Gate Lodge is one of several service buildings located at Stan Hywet Hall dedicated to the operations of the estate. Located at the front entrance gates, this two-story . . . — Map (db m43509) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Akron — The Old Portage Path
On Portage Path at Merriman Road, on the right when traveling north on Portage Path.
The Old Portage, an eight-mile overland connection between the Cuyahoga and Tuscarawas Rivers, was the longer of two portages used by prehistoric peoples and early settlers. This was just one link in the water route between Lake Erie and the Ohio . . . — Map (db m48845) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Akron — The Portage Path Connected Lake Erie with the Ohio River
On Portage Path at Merriman Road, on the right when traveling north on Portage Path.
The First Americans You are standing at the North Terminus of the renewed Portage Path, which formed the vital link in the shortest and best water route between the great lake to the north and the rivers flowing south. The trail was created . . . — Map (db m48755) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Akron — 28-77 — The Soap Box Derby
An annual summer tradition for American youth since the 1930s, the All-American Soap Box Derby was the concept of journalist Myron E. ("Scottie") Scott, who covered an impromptu homebuilt gravity-car race in Dayton in 1933. Scott conceived and . . . — Map (db m43477) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Akron — 37-77 — Treaty of Fort McIntosh Boundary Line
In 1785, American Indian tribal leaders from the Chippewa, Delaware, Ottawa, and Wyandot met with representatives sent by the United States Congress to sign the controversial Treaty of Fort McIntosh. The treaty surrendered control of Native . . . — Map (db m43512) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Akron — United Rubber Workers International Union — Since 1935
On Main Street, on the left when traveling north.
In downtown Akron at the Portage Hotel, 12 September 1935, a national convention of rubber workers met and organized the United Rubber Workers of America. Convention delegates elected Sherman Dalrymple president and dedicated the URW international . . . — Map (db m43731) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Akron — United States Synthetic Rubber Program 1939-1945 — National Historic Chemical Landmark — Akron, Ohio —
On University Avenue 0 miles east of Hill Street.
Top plaque: When the natural rubber supply from Southeast Asia was cut off at the beginning of World War II, the United States and its allies faced the loss of a strategic material. With U.S. government sponsorship, a consortium of companies . . . — Map (db m44733) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Akron — 11-77 — Wesley Temple African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church
On Martin Luther King Jr Blvd / Perkins Street (Ohio Route 59) at Prospect Street, on the right when traveling west on Martin Luther King Jr Blvd / Perkins Street.
This church, founded in 1866, is the oldest Black congregation in Akron. After worshipping in several locations, the congregation held a fund-raiser to help finance the construction of a permanent home. The person collecting the most money had the . . . — Map (db m43501) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Akron — Yeck Family Portage Path North Terminus Memorial — Preserving the Trail of the Portage Path — To the Tuscarawas —
On Portage Path at Merriman Road, on the right when traveling north on Portage Path.
The Portage Path is now marked for all time in bronze to honor and memorialize the American Indian who for untold centuries preserved and cared for this land and its waterways. During the 1990's, the Yeck Family initiated a program to research, . . . — Map (db m48751) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Barberton — Barberton Military Honor Roll
On 6th Street NW at Paige Avenue, on the right when traveling north on 6th Street NW.
Dedicated to all Barberton military personnel who participated in World War II (green), or were in action during the Korean (blue), Vietnam (red), Persian Gulf (black), Afghanistan (taupe), Iraq (beige) and any future Wars involving the United . . . — Map (db m48880) WM
Ohio (Summit County), Barberton — 14-77 — Colt Barn [at] Anna Dean Farm
On Austin Drive at Shenandoah Boulevard, on the right when traveling east on Austin Drive.
Ohio Columbus Barber, a wealthy Ohio businessman and founder of Barberton, retired in 1905 to develop his Anna Dean Farm. Built in 1910, the colt barn was a part of this 3000-acre estate. Although originally intended for bulls, the building was . . . — Map (db m43735) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Barberton — Glenn "Jeep" Davis
On Park Avenue at 5th Street NW, on the left when traveling west on Park Avenue.
To honor your many accomplishments as a teacher, coach, and athlete, and to thank you for setting a great example for your peers and the youth of the Magic City. Athletic Accomplishments Selected.....All Ohio Football-1954 . . . — Map (db m48876) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Barberton — 5-77 — Main Gatehouse of Ohio C. Barber's Anna Dean Farm — 1909 to 1970
On 5th Street SE (Ohio Route 619) at Robinson Avenue, on the left when traveling south on 5th Street SE.
On this site stood the Main Gatehouse of the Anna Dean Farm, estate of Barberton town founder and industrialist Ohio C. Barber. The Anna Dean Farm was not only a lavish estate but also a farming showcase built to promote and develop scientific . . . — Map (db m43734) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Barberton — Ohio Columbus Barber
On Lake Avenue at 3rd Street NW, on the left when traveling west on Lake Avenue.
1891 Founder City of Barberton Sculptors, Virgil and Zak Villers Dedicated September 29, 2007 — Map (db m48900) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Barberton — 16-77 — PPG Industries in Barbeton — 1900 - 2000
On Hudson Run Road near Fairland Road, on the right when traveling east.
Attracted by the availability of raw materials and railroad transportation, the Pittsburgh Plate Glass Company (PPG) built a plant here in 1899 to make soda ash for the company's glassmaking operations. This plant began production in 1900 as the . . . — Map (db m43744) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Barberton — Staff Sergeant Howard E. Woodford — June 21 1921 - June 7, 1945 — In Memory —
On 6th Street NW at Paige Avenue, on the right when traveling north on 6th Street NW.
Third Battalion, 130th Infantry 33rd Division, Army of the United States Posthumously Awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor By his daring, skillful, and inspiring leadership, as well as by his gallant determination to search out and . . . — Map (db m48898) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Barberton — The Freedom Tree
On 6th Street NW at Paige Avenue, on the right when traveling north on 6th Street NW.
With the vision of universal freedom for all mankind this tree is dedicated to Kenneth Cordier and all Prisoners of War and Missing in Action — Map (db m48906) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Barberton — The Freedom Tree
On 6th Street NW at Paige Avenue, on the right when traveling north on 6th Street NW.
With the vision of universal freedom for all mankind this tree is dedicated to Lt. Col. Richard Keirn and all Prisoners of War and Missing in Action — Map (db m48907) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Barberton — The Freedom Tree
On 6th Street NW at Paige Avenue, on the right when traveling north on 6th Street NW.
With the vision of universal freedom for all mankind this tree is dedicated to Capt. Alan Trent and all Prisoners of War and Missing in Action — Map (db m48950) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Barberton — The Freedom Tree
On 6th Street NW at Paige Avenue, on the right when traveling north on 6th Street NW.
With the vision of universal freedom for all mankind this tree is dedicated to 1Lt. Mark Peterson and all Prisoners of War and Missing in Action — Map (db m48953) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Bath — 45-77 — Hale, Hammond, Cranz Homesteads
On Oak Hill Road at Ira Road, on the right when traveling north on Oak Hill Road.
This cemetery is the resting place of many of the Hale, Hammond, and Cranz family members who were integral in founding and developing Bath Township. Connecticut natives Jonathan Hale and Jason Hammond were the first to purchase land in the area . . . — Map (db m134588) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Bath — Ira Cemetery Information Board
On Ira Road at Oak Hill Road, on the right when traveling west on Ira Road.
This is the original home of Jonathan Hale drawn by Albert Ruger. It is based on the recollection of James Hale as depicted in Old Homesteads of the Hale Hammond Pioneers complied by C. 0. Hale. Jonathan Hale arrived in Township 3 Range 12 in 1810. . . . — Map (db m134606) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Bath — 44-77 — Shaw Cemetery
On Hamentown Road south of Rock Ridge Lane, on the left when traveling south.
In 1928, Samuel and Charlotte Hale Shaw came to Bath Township from Bristol, New York. They purchased 145 acres of land where Samuel, a carpenter, built a two-story frame house. They had six children; two died in infancy. Their two year old daughter, . . . — Map (db m134607) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Bath Township — 49-77 — Bath Township Hall / Bath Center Cemetery
On West Bath Road (County Route 48) at North Cleveland-Massillon Road, on the left when traveling east on West Bath Road.
Bath Township Hall. A log meeting house, which also served both the Presbyterians and Congregationalists, was constructed here circa 1818. In 1839, a frame structure replaced the log house and served the community and the congregations until . . . — Map (db m137210) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Boston — A New Champion for an Old Canal
The Ohio & Erie Canal is an early 19th-century creation built to meet growing transportation needs. The Towpath Trail is a late 20th-century creation, built because visionary individuals saw new uses for the abandoned canal. One of these . . . — Map (db m44908) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Boston — Boston
Boston, the oldest village in Summit County, was first settled by surveyor James Stanford in 1806. The village's first mill was built in 1821, and the Ohio & Erie Canal's arrival in 1827 expanded opportunities for commerce and industry. Many boat . . . — Map (db m44927) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Boston — Boston Mills Road Bridge
On Boston Mills Road near Zielenski Court, on the left when traveling west.
An 1834 survey map provides the earliest evidence of a bridge crossing the Cuyahoga River at this site. This rendering, based on a 1890's postcard, shows a covered bridge connecting the Akron-Cleveland Road (now Riverview Road) to the village of . . . — Map (db m48996) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Boston — Boston Store
The Boston Land & Manufacturing Company store, built in 1836, displays a high level of craftsmanship. The fan-shaped lunette above the store front shows the influence of Federal-style architecture. The building's unusual trapezoidal shape results . . . — Map (db m44922) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Boston — Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad
On Riverview Road near Boston Mills Road, on the left when traveling south.
Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad follows the historic route of the Valley Railway, which began freight and passenger service between Cleveland and Canton in 1880. Today, you can travel the same path to experience the rich cultural history and . . . — Map (db m44906) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Boston — Industry Shapes the Valley
On Riverview Road near Boston Mills Road, on the right when traveling north.
The presence of industry changed the physical appearance and social composition of the Cuyahoga Valley. In the early years of the 20th century, both the Cleveland Akron Bag Company and the Jaite Paper Mill built new structures that impacted the . . . — Map (db m44894) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Boston — Linking the Wilderness to the World
The Ohio & Erie Canal was among the most successful canals during the periods when canals contributed to our nation's growth. In 1827 the canal opened from Cleveland through the Cuyahoga Valley to Akron. When completed in 1832 it stretched 308 . . . — Map (db m44929) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Boston — The Development of Valley Industry
On Riverview Road at Boston Mills Road, on the right when traveling north on Riverview Road.
While the Valley Railway, the precursor to Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad, was founded primarily as a conduit for freight and passengers moving among Cleveland, Akron, and Canton, it also became integral to the success of two factories within the . . . — Map (db m44858) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Ghent — 18-77 — Ghent Woolen Mill — 1832
On Granger Road (County Route 79) west of Cleveland Massillon Road, on the left when traveling west.
The Ghent Woolen Mill was one of at least thirteen mills built in the Yellow Creek Valley to take advantage of the water power available in the creek’s 400-foot fall across Bath Township. Erected by Messrs. Allen and Bloom in 1832, it was a marginal . . . — Map (db m134611) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Hudson — Boyhood home of John Brown
On Ravenna Street at South Main Street on Ravenna Street.
Hudson, Ohio. Boyhood home of John Brown (1800-1859.) Abolitionist John Brown came to Hudson as a boy in 1805 and lived here until 1826. A frequent visitor to Hudson in the ensuing years, Brown attended services at the Free Congregational Church, . . . — Map (db m41270) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Hudson — 31-77 — First Congregational Church of Hudson
On East Main Street at Church Street, on the right when traveling north on East Main Street.
On this site, the first meetinghouse owned by the Hudson Congregational Church was dedicated March 1, 1820, twenty-one years after David Hudson first came to the Hudson area. Its members met here until they completed their sanctuary on Aurora Street . . . — Map (db m36192) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Hudson — First Log House in Summit County
On Baldwin Street at North Main Street (Ohio Route 91), on the right when traveling east on Baldwin Street.
Near this spot stood the first log house in Summit County, built by David Hudson of Goshen, Connecticut, in 1799. It was the birthplace, October 28, 1800, of the first white child in this county Anner Maria Hudson. Erected . . . — Map (db m41268) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Hudson — First Schoolhouse in Summit County
On North Main Street, on the right when traveling north.
On this site stood a log schoolhouse built in 1801, the first in Summit County. It was used as a meeting-place by the Hudson Congregational Church formed by David Hudson, its lifetime Deacon, and organized September 4, 1802, by Rev. Joseph Badger. . . . — Map (db m36193) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Hudson — 39-77 — Gustave H. Grimm
On Ravenna Street 0.1 miles east of South Main Street (Ohio Route 91), on the right when traveling south.
On this site in 1882, Gustave H. Grimm (1850-1914), a German immigrant tinsmith, established the G.H. Grimm Manufacturing Company. His device, the Champion Evaporator, revolutionized maple syrup production with the use of a corrugated pan which . . . — Map (db m29261) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Hudson — Hudson and the Underground Railroad — Historic Underground Railroad Site
On North Main Street, on the right when traveling north.
Side A Hudson had a long tradition of being an anti-slavery town. By 1826, records show that the town's founder, David Hudson, was hiding runaway slaves at his home. Early Settler Owen Brown and his family helped organize the Underground . . . — Map (db m36201) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Hudson — Loomis Observatory
On College Street, on the right when traveling north.
Elias Loomis and Charles Augustus Young worked in this Observatory, built in 1838, the third to be erected in the United States, the second oldest standing (1926). — Map (db m36202) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Hudson — Middle College — 1826 - 1912
On College Street near Chapel Street, on the right when traveling north.
On this site, April 26, 1826 was laid the cornerstone of the first college edifice in the Western Reserve, later called Middle College. It marked the beginning of Western Reserve University — Map (db m48681) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Hudson — North College
On College Street near Chapel Street, on the right when traveling north.
Erected in 1837-38, originally for the use of students of divinity — Map (db m48680) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Hudson — President-elect Abraham Lincoln
On South College Street when traveling south.
President-elect Abraham Lincoln, en route to Washington for his first inaugural, stopped in Hudson aboard a special Presidential train on February 15, 1861. A crowd of over 6,000 people greeted Lincoln at the old Hudson Depot, located near this . . . — Map (db m41269) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Hudson — President's House
On College Street at Hudson Street, on the right when traveling north on College Street.
This house was built in 1830 for the President of the College and the Professor of Theology. Here lived Presidents Storrs, Hitchcock and Pierce This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by . . . — Map (db m48679) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Hudson — The Chapel
On College Street at Chapel Street, on the right when traveling north on College Street.
This Chapel, in architecture and tradition recalling Old Yale College, the ideals of which inspired the establishment of higher learning in the Western Reserve, was dedicated in 1836 to the service of Almighty God This property . . . — Map (db m48673) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Hudson — 21-77 — Western Reserve College and Academy
On College Street at Chapel Street, on the right when traveling north on College Street.
With the help of town founder, David Hudson, Western Reserve College and its Academy were founded in 1826. Often called "The Yale of the West," the college saw success initially as nearly all of its professors and college presidents were Yale . . . — Map (db m43418) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Northfield — Cuyahoga Valley National Park — Brandywine Falls
On Brandywine Road.
It is in the valleys that one can realize most effectively a sense of isolation and freedom from the sights and sounds…which go to make the modern city. Olmsted Brothers, 1925.

Since the 1800, the Cuyahoga Valley has been a place of . . . — Map (db m61656) HM

Ohio (Summit County), Northfield — Forgotten Village of Brandywine
On Brandywine Road.
A bustling village once surrounded these falls. Taking advantage of the waterpower, George Wallace built a sawmill here in 1814. Over the next decade, the Village of Brandywine added a whiskey distillery, gristmill, woolen mill, and a dozen houses. . . . — Map (db m61652) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Peninsula — 43-77 — John Eisenmann / Boston Township Hall — (1851-1924) /                                          
On Main Street (Ohio Route 303) just east of Riverview Road (County Route 9), on the left when traveling east.
In addition to the Boston Township Hall, well-known Cleveland architect John Eisenmann designed many prominent buildings, including the Cleveland Arcade. Eisenmann was also the first professor of civil engineering at the Case School of . . . — Map (db m134556) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Peninsula — Peninsula Village Historic District
On Locust Street 0.1 miles south of Main Street (Ohio Route 303), on the right when traveling north.
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of Interior August 23, 1974 — Map (db m48995) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Peninsula — Robert L. Hunker — 1927–2009 — In Recognition —
On Main Street (Ohio Route 303) at Riverview Road (County Route 9), on the left when traveling east on Main Street.
Robert L. Hunker was a nationally renowned interior and architectural designer who moved his home and business to Peninsula, Ohio in 1962. He purchased, preserved and renovated over thirty irreplaceable historic village structures, including . . . — Map (db m134572) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Richfield — 27-77 — Sikh Gurdwara
On Broadview Road (Ohio Route 176) south of Harburn Road, on the right when traveling south.
This marks the site of the first Sikh Gurdwara in the state of Ohio. Sikhs began to arrive in Ohio after India’s freedom from British rule in 1947. They came for advanced education at universities in the state. With liberalization of immigration . . . — Map (db m134848) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Silver Lake — 20-77 — Silver Lake / Silver Lake Amusement Park
On Silver Lake Boulevard at Lee Road / Hastings Road, on the left when traveling north on Silver Lake Boulevard.
Side A: Silver Lake Silver Lake was previously known as Wetmore's Pond, named for Judge William Wetmore, an agent for the Connecticut Land Company. In 1808, Wetmore built a cabin overlooking the spring-fed lake, which was then a part of . . . — Map (db m43419) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Tallmadge — 2-77 — First Congregational Church — United Church of Christ — Organized Jan. 21, 1807 —
Near Darrow Avenue (Ohio Route 261) at North Avenue (Ohio Route 91), on the left when traveling west.
Tallmadge was established in 1807 by David Bacon as a Congregational community. In 1821 local landowners donated timber to build this church, designed and constructed by one of Ohio's first architects, Col. Lemuel Porter. Dedicated on September 8, . . . — Map (db m43441) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Tallmadge — 9-77 — Old Town Hall and Academy
On Darrow Road (Ohio Route 91/261) near South Avenue, on the left when traveling east.
The Village of Tallmadge was founded in 1807. The first Academy building was erected in 1815. The fifth home of the Academy was located on the second floor of this Town Hall, which was erected in 1859. The Academy served students from northeast . . . — Map (db m43426) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Tallmadge — Tallmadge Circle (Public Square)
The historic Tallmadge Circle, originally called the Public Square, including the First Congregational Church and the Old Town Hall, has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places May 6, 1971 by the United States . . . — Map (db m48707) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Tallmadge — Tallmadge Veterans Memorial
. . . — Map (db m48710) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Twinsburg — "Eisenhower" Green Ash Tree
This "Eisenhower" Green Ash Tree is dedicated to all World War II Veterans May 2001 — Map (db m44862) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Twinsburg — 3-77 — First Congregational Church — United Church of Christ — Organized August 23, 1822 —
On Church Street near Aurora Road (Ohio Route 82), on the left when traveling north.
Twinsburg pioneers, many from Killingworth, Connecticut, worshipped in various locations for 31 years until this church was built in 1848. Its design is attributed to master builder Simeon Porter. The spire is an 1857 replacement. The edifice is . . . — Map (db m43389) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Twinsburg — 13-77 — Locust Grove Cemetery Vault
Cemetery vaults were used to store bodies in winter when the ground was too frozen to break manually. Locust Grove's vault was constructed of locally quarried sandstone in 1872. The interior showcases the mason's skills: the walls are smooth and . . . — Map (db m43417) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Twinsburg — The Wilcox Twins — 1817 - 1976
On Aurora Road (Ohio Route 82) near Darrow Road (Ohio Route 91), on the left when traveling east.
This monument erected as a permanent tribute to the foresight and integrity of the Wilcox twins who dedicated the land for this park and were instrumental in Twinsburg's cultural, religious and educational growth In memory of Moses and Aaron . . . — Map (db m44884) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Twinsburg — Twinsburg World War II - Korea - Vietnam War Memorial
On Darrow Road (Ohio Route 91) near Aurora Road (Ohio Route 82), on the right when traveling south.
In Memoriam World War II Lt. Herbert Gill Navy Fighter Pilot Died - Dec. 4, 1943 Sgt. Paul Bennett 486 QM REF. Co. M. Died - Dec. 6, 1945 P.F.C. Fred Staedtler, Jr. Co. M., 145 Inf., 37 Div. Died - Mar. 6, 1945 Bert . . . — Map (db m44883) WM
Ohio (Summit County), Twinsburg — Twinsburg World War Memorial
On Darrow Road (Ohio Route 91) near Aurora Road (Ohio Route 82), on the right when traveling south.
In honor of the Twinsburg boys engaged in the World War Orland R. Bishop • Ray E. Boose Earl W. Bowen • Albert L. Cochran Raymond E. Doubrava • Arthur L. Dunscomb John A. Day • Lewis L. Davies Eugene H. Evans • Louis W. Froelich . . . — Map (db m44882) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Twinsburg — Twinsburgh Civil War Memorial
On Darrow Road (Ohio Route 91) near Aurora Road (Ohio Route 82), on the right when traveling south.
To the memory of our patriot sons who fell during the Rebellion of 1861 to 1965 [Honor Roll of Names] Soldiers Record List of those that survived [Honor Roll of Names] 1867 Semi Centennial Year of the Settlement of this . . . — Map (db m44889) HM

83 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement