Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Education Historical Markers

6465 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 6265
 
Daniel Pratt Cemetery / George Cooke Marker Side B image, Touch for more information
By Tim Carr, August 1, 2009
Daniel Pratt Cemetery / George Cooke Marker Side B
Alabama (Autauga County), Prattville — Daniel Pratt Cemetery / George Cooke
Near Gin Shop Hill Road.
(Front): Daniel Pratt CemeteryFinal resting place of early Alabama industrialist Daniel Pratt, 1799-1873, and wife Esther Ticknor Pratt, 1803-1875. He was from New Hampshire and she, Connecticut. Married 1827 at Fortville, Jones County, . . . — Map (db m27957) HM
Alabama (Autauga County), Prattville — Sidney LanierMusician - Poet - Patriot - Seer
Near Wetumpka Street at South Washington Street, on the right when traveling east.
Beloved teacher of Prattville Academy 1867 • on this site • 1868 whose memory will be forever cherished by people of Prattville, Ala. whom he loved and served — Map (db m70820) HM
Alabama (Autauga County), Prattville — Sidney Lanier/Prattville Male and Female Academy Site
On Wetumpka Street (County Route 2) at South Washington Street, on the right when traveling east on Wetumpka Street.
Side 1 Sidney Lanier 1842-1881 The poet and musician, born in Macon, Georgia, was Academy principal in 1867-68. He married Mary H. Day of Macon in December 1867. In Prattville, they lived at the Mims Hotel and later in Dr. S.P. . . . — Map (db m70802) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Stockton — Historic Stockton / Old Schoolyard Park
On Alabama Route 59, on the right.
Front: Historic Stockton Modern Stockton is situated on a hill just above the original settlement, which was abandoned around 1840 because of Yellow Fever outbreaks. No verified source for the town name exists. Most likely it was . . . — Map (db m66390) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Stockton — Public Education in Baldwin County / Little Red Schoolhouse Historic Site
On Alabama Route 225, on the left when traveling north.
In 1799 the first public school in Alabama was built just north of this site at Boatyard Lake in the Tensaw Community. More than 90 small schools dotted Baldwin County in the early twentieth century This one room school was built in 1920 by African . . . — Map (db m122669) HM
Alabama (Barbour County), Blue Springs — Blue Springs School 1920-1969
On Alabama Route 10, on the right when traveling west.
The Blue Springs School was first established in 1920. The land was donated by Henry H Shepard. The Plans were drawn by the State School architect. The lumber was donated by citizens of the community and prepared at A.S. Knight’s sawmill. Other . . . — Map (db m60680) HM
Alabama (Barbour County), Clio — Barbour County High School
On Hunt Street 0.1 miles south of Brundidge Street (Alabama Route 10), on the left when traveling south.
Established under an Act of the Alabama Legislature in 1907, the school was built entirely by local initiative. It was completed in 1910 and occupied initially in September of that year. Consistently characterized by faculties of dedication and . . . — Map (db m71798) HM
Alabama (Barbour County), Eufaula — Fendall Hall / Young and DentThe Young - Dent Home
On West Barbour Street, on the left when traveling west.
Built between 1856 and 1860 by Edward Brown Young and his wife, Ann Fendall Beall, this was one of the first of the great Italianate style homes constructed in Eufaula. It later became the home of the builders’ daughter, Anna Beall Young, and her . . . — Map (db m33759) HM
Alabama (Barbour County), Eufaula — Old Negro Cemetery / Fairview Cemetery
Near North Randolph Avenue at East Browder Street.
Front Interred on this gently sloping hillside are the remains of many of Eufaula’s early black citizens. Their names are known only to God because the wooden grave markers which located the burials have long since vanished. This burying . . . — Map (db m27987) HM
Alabama (Bibb County), Six Mile — Site of Six Mile Male And Female Academy
On Sixmile School Road south of Montevallo Road (State Highway 25), on the right when traveling south.
Years before 1859, two acres of land were donated for a school by Mr. and Mrs. Good. A two-story wooden structure was built. Among its first teachers were John Alexander, W. J. Peters, R. M. Humphries, and R. H. Pratt. Under Pratt’s leadership the . . . — Map (db m37054) HM
Alabama (Bibb County), Six Mile — Six Mile Male & Female Academy Site← 300 Yards
On Montevallo Road (State Highway 25) at Six Mile School Road, on the left when traveling west on Montevallo Road.
Incorporated in 1859 though organized earlier and operated continuously through 1897. First trustees were William P. Thomas, Leroy T. McGuire, Ezekiel C. Smith, Simpson W. Hederick and Pulaski Wallace. This noted center of learning in Bibb County . . . — Map (db m37053) HM
Alabama (Blount County), Oneonta — Bailey School1893 - 1951
On County Road 36 0.1 miles north of New Home Church Road, on the right when traveling north.
William M. Bailey (born 1859 in Cherokee Co.; died 1909 in Blount Co.) settled 40 acres on what became Co. Rd 36 to the west and New Home Church Rd to the east in 1893. He brought three small sons from Cherokee Co. after the death of his first wife . . . — Map (db m42599) HM
Alabama (Bullock County), Midway — Old Merritt School Midway Community Center
On Old Troy Road, on the left when traveling west.
Margaret Elizabeth Merritt of Midway sold two acres for $5 to the state of Alabama in 1921 as a site for an elementary school for African-American children. Built in 1922 with matching Rosenwald funds, the Midway Colored Public School featured oak . . . — Map (db m60910) HM
Alabama (Bullock County), Union Springs — Sardis Baptist Church, Cemetery, and School
On State Highway 223 at County Road 22, on the left when traveling south on State Highway 223.
(side 1) Settlers from the Edgefield District, South Carolina, organized the Sardis Baptist Church on June 10, 1837. The first building, a log cabin, was constructed in 1841 after John M. and his wife Amy Youngblood Dozier deeded four and . . . — Map (db m67552) HM
Alabama (Butler County), Greenville — Confederate Park/Greenville City Hall-Site of Public School
On East Commerce Street (Alabama Route 10) at South Park Street, on the left when traveling west on East Commerce Street.
Side 1 Confederate Park Confederate Park was created in 1897 as a joint effort of the Father Ryan Chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy and the City of Greenville, with First United Methodist Church providing the Park . . . — Map (db m70749) HM
Alabama (Calhoun County), Hobson City — Town of Hobson City, Alabama
On Martin Luther King Drive east of Douglas Street, on the right when traveling east.
Front Hobson City is Alabama's first incorporated black city. The area was first known as Mooree Quarter, a black settlement that was part of Oxford, Alabama. After a black man was elected Justice of the Peace in Oxford, one mayor . . . — Map (db m106598) HM
Alabama (Calhoun County), Jacksonville — "The Magnolias"Home of Clarence William Daugette — B. Sc., M. Sc., LL. D. 1873-1942
On Pelham Road (Alabama Route 21) at 5th Street NE, on the right when traveling north on Pelham Road.
Dean of American College Presidents President of Jacksonville State Normal-State Teachers College 1899-1942 During an Educational Renascence in the South he was in the forefront of the Alabama Educational System President 1st National Bank . . . — Map (db m29922) HM
Alabama (Calhoun County), Jacksonville — Jacksonville State University
On University Circle west of North Pelham Road (State Highway 21), on the right.
This Educational Center of Northeast Alabama Traces its Origin to Jacksonville Male Academy 1836 Jacksonville Female Academy 1837 Calhoun College 1871 Calhoun Grange College 1878 State Normal School 1883 State Teachers College 1929 . . . — Map (db m36426) HM
Alabama (Calhoun County), Jacksonville — Jacksonville, Alabama“Gem of the Hills”
On Mountain Street Northwest west of Woodward Avenue Northwest, on the left.
Life here has long centered on education beginning in 1834 when a one-acre plot of land was reserved for a schoolhouse. Through the years, various institutions of higher learning developed that culminated into present-day Jacksonville State . . . — Map (db m36429) HM
Alabama (Calhoun County), Jacksonville — Presidents of Jacksonville State
On University Circle west of North Pelham Road (State Highway 21), on the right.
James G. Ryals, Jr. 1883-1885 J. Harris Chappell 1885-1886 Carleton B. Gibson 1886-1892 J. B. Jarrett 1892-1893 Jacob Forney, IV 1893-1899 Clarence William Daugette 1899-1942 Houston Cole 1942-1971 Ernest Stone 1971-1981 Theron E. . . . — Map (db m36427) HM
Alabama (Chambers County), Valley — Fairfax Kindergarten
On Boulevard at Combs Street, on the right when traveling south on Boulevard.
Built in 1916, the kindergarten was one of five original public buildings in the Fairfax Mill Village. Each mill village had an efficient, attractive, and well kept kindergarten for children ages four to six. LaFayette Lanier, Sr. was the . . . — Map (db m71634) HM
Alabama (Chambers County), Valley — Lanier High School
On Cherry Drive at North 13th Avenue, on the right when traveling west on Cherry Drive.
Side 1 The school was located at three different sites on Cherry Drive. Its beginning was in The Blue Hall Building adjacent to Goodsell Methodist Church. Later it was moved to the Dallas/Jackson Home and became the Jackson Hill School. . . . — Map (db m71638) HM
Alabama (Cherokee County), Gaylesville — Gaylesville
On Canyon Drive (Alabama Route 35) at Main Street (Alabama Route 68), on the right when traveling south on Canyon Drive.
Post Office est. in 1836. During the Civil War, the main body of U.S. General William Tecumseh Sherman's Army camped around the town in October 1864. A private home served as his headquarters. Despite pleas from citizens, his troops burned the mill . . . — Map (db m114532) HM
Alabama (Chilton County), Clanton — Chilton County Training School 1924-1969
On County Road 425, on the left when traveling south.
The Chilton County Training School (CCTS) was the only facility in the county that provided a secondary education for black boys and girls until the mid-1960s. In 1924 black landowners donated five acres for the school to the Board of Education who . . . — Map (db m54656) HM
Alabama (Choctaw County), Silas — Silas Elementary SchoolChoctaw County
On Indian Way (County Road 5) at State Route 17, on the right when traveling east on Indian Way.
The Choctaw County Board of Education built Silas Elementary School in 1936 with support from the Alabama State Department of Education. Students attended the school from 1936-2005. After nearly 70 years as a school, the building took on a new . . . — Map (db m110975) HM
Alabama (Clarke County), Jackson — City of Jackson
On Commerce Street (Alabama Route 177) at Magnolia Drive, on the right when traveling west on Commerce Street.
Side 1 First home of Creek and Choctaw Indians, Jackson’s first pioneer settlers arrived about 1800. The little village was first called Republicville, then Pine Level, before its incorporation by an act of the Mississippi Territory . . . — Map (db m101591) HM
Alabama (Clarke County), Jackson — First District Agricultural College and Experiment Station1896—1936
On College Avenue (Alabama Route 177) at West Clinton Street, on the right when traveling south on College Avenue.
On this site was located the First District Agricultural College, authorized by an act of the Alabama Legislature and opened in 1896. The street in front was changed from Grove Hill Road to College Avenue in honor of the new school. An Experimental . . . — Map (db m101603) HM
Alabama (Clarke County), Thomasville — Williams’ Temple CME Church
On Davis Avenue East east of East Front Street.
Side 1 Founded by the CME (Christian Methodist Episcopal) Church as the only school for black students in the area in the early 1900’s, Williams’ Temple eventually consolidated with another school in Booker City to form Miles College . . . — Map (db m101596) HM
Alabama (Clay County), Lineville — John Richmond McCain
On Alabama Route 9 at Main Street, on the left when traveling north on State Route 9.
Teacher   Lawyer   Statesman He spent his life largely in promoting the welfare of others 1865   1939Map (db m95079) HM
Alabama (Coffee County), Clintonville — Clintonville AcademyJanuary 11, 1860
On Alabama Route 51, on the left when traveling south.
Chartered as Clintonville Male and Female Academy. Building erected 1860: occupied January, 1861. The first school in Coffee County to teach beyond the sixth grade. Clintonville, for many years, was recognized as the cultural and educational center . . . — Map (db m54787) HM
Alabama (Coffee County), Elba — Site of Curtis SchoolEarly 1900’s to 1967
On Alabama Route 141, on the left when traveling south.
Curtis School was organized in the early 1900’s and was originally located ½ mile south, where New Ebenezer Baptist Church now stands. A new school was built on this site in 1929 when Curtis, Mt. Zion, and Rhodes Schools were consolidated. . . . — Map (db m54741) HM
Alabama (Coffee County), Enterprise — Enterprise AcademyFounded 1904
On South Carroll Street south of Petty Circle, on the left when traveling south.
Beloved leader and principal of this institution, later known as Carroll Street School, was William M. Donald (1870-1941) His philosophy of education: "Apply yourself. Excellence is attained through self discipline and hard work. Learn the . . . — Map (db m71880) HM
Alabama (Coffee County), New Brockton — Arwood School Site
On County Route 248 1.2 miles north of Alabama Route 12, on the left when traveling north.
Established here about 1871 and served as educational, cultural, religious and social center of this community until consolidation in 1934. School land was donated by George and Georgie Arwood. Early teachers included W.E. Andrews, Mrs. M.E. Fleming . . . — Map (db m95354) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Leighton — LaGrange College
On Lagrange College Road.
This is the site of LaGrange College Chartered in 1830 by act of the Legislature of Alabama An Institution of High Order for men attended chiefly by students from the southern states. The college was burned April 28, 1863 by Federal Cavalry . . . — Map (db m83333) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Muscle Shoals — Howell & Graves School
On S. Wilson Dam Highway 1 mile from Kimberley Drive.
Marker Front: Muscle Shoals City was incorporated on April 24, 1923. Among the leading developers were New York realtors A.L. Howell and C.T. Graves. Their interest in Muscle Shoals was inspired by the vision of Henry Ford to use power from . . . — Map (db m28580) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Sheffield — Sheffield Colored School/Sterling High School
On Sterling Boulevard near Southeast 11th Avenue, on the left when traveling east.
(side 1) Sheffield Colored School Public education for Sheffield's black children began in 1889 in a framed building at E. 20th St. and S. Atlanta Ave. with Henry Hopkins as teacher. Professor Benjamin J. Sterling (1847-1941), a . . . — Map (db m82423) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Sheffield — Village One
On Wilson Dam Avenue at Pickwick Street on Wilson Dam Avenue.
In 1918, during World War I, the U.S. Government built this unique village of 85 bungalows, school, and officers barracks to house personnel at nearby Nitrate Plant No. 1. Prefabricated and standard size materials were used in construction along . . . — Map (db m88110) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Tuscumbia — Ivy GreenBirthplace of Helen Keller
The Family Home of Captain Arthur M. & Kate Adams Keller was build 1820, being the second house erected in Tuscumbia. Here on June 27, 1880 was born America's First Lady of Courage Helen Adams Keller — Map (db m29089) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Tuscumbia — Trenholm High School
On Trenholm Memorial Drive east of South High Street, on the right when traveling east.
(side 1) Formal education for Tuscumbia’s African American children began in 1870 at the Freedman School taught by Judge Wingo and his daughter in a church at the foot of the hill. In July 1877, the Osborne Colored Academy was established . . . — Map (db m80944) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Tuscumbia — William Winston Home
On N. Commons St. East.
Construction on the home which became the center building of Deshler High School was begun in 1824 by Clark T. Barton. William Winston purchased and completed the Georgian-style dwelling in 1833. The largest remaining antebellum house in Tuscumbia, . . . — Map (db m28565) HM
Alabama (Conecuh County), Burnt Corn — First School in Conecuh County
On County Road 15 1 mile south of County Road 5, on the right when traveling south.
The first known school in Conecuh County, "Students Retreat," was located near this site. The land was owned by John Green, who also was the school’s first teacher. Green served the county in the state House of Representatives and the 1861 Secession . . . — Map (db m81295) HM
Alabama (Conecuh County), Evergreen — Alabama Baptist Children’s Home Site
On South Main Street (County Road 42) at Cemetery Avenue, on the left when traveling south on South Main Street.
The Louise Short Baptist Widows’ and Orphans’ Home, consisting of a 10-room brick residence and related buildings on 80 acres of land fronted on Main Street, Evergreen, for more than ¼ mile. It was established by the Alabama Baptist State . . . — Map (db m81293) HM
Alabama (Covington County), Andalusia — Andalusia City Hall / Three Notch School
On East 3 Notch Street at 6th Avenue, on the right when traveling west on East 3 Notch Street.
Andalusia City Hall Today, the Andalusia City Hall houses city government offices and is a host site for meetings and special events. Modern information, technology, and communications of city government mesh with the original . . . — Map (db m94169) HM
Alabama (Covington County), Lockhart — W.S. Harlan School
On Mohegan Street at Seminole Street, on the right when traveling south on Mohegan Street.
William Stewart Harlan was the manager of Jackson Lumber Company in Lockhart, established in the early twentieth century as a mill town during the booming demand for longleaf yellow pine. Marketed as Dixie Rift Flooring and Dixie Poles and . . . — Map (db m111256) HM
Alabama (Covington County), Sanford — Town of Sanford
Near County Road 67 at U.S. 84, on the right when traveling west.
Side 1 Sanford first came into being as a community post office which was established on May 19, 1879. Around the turn of the century, Sanford had a period of progress that lasted for several years. The L&N Railroad had come through in . . . — Map (db m94166) HM
Alabama (Crenshaw County), Highland Home — Site of Highland Home College
On Montgomery Highway (U.S. 331) south of New Bethel Church Road, on the left when traveling south.
A pioneer institution organized in 1889 by Justus M. Barnes, Samuel Jordan and Milton L. Kirkpatrick. This was an extension of Strata Academy, founded in 1856 by Barnes six miles north in Strata. In 1881 Strata Academy was moved to Highland Home and . . . — Map (db m72058) HM
Alabama (Dale County), Newton — Baptist Collegiate InstituteNewton, Alabama
On Oates Drive east of College Street (Alabama Route 123/134), on the right when traveling east.
Organized in 1898 under the Christian leadership of A. W. Tate and Newton Baptist Church. The property was later given to the Baptists of southeast Alabama, adopted by nine Baptist Associations. In 1907 Baptist State Convention agreed to accept . . . — Map (db m79000) HM
Alabama (Dale County), Pinckard — The Mack M. Matthews School
On Randolph Street 0.3 miles north of West Hwy 134 East (Alabama Route 134), on the right when traveling north.
Front The original part of this building was home to one of the oldest African American schools in Dale County. In 1949 on this site, the new building for the Pinckard Colored School was constructed and Mack M. Matthews became its . . . — Map (db m115029) HM
Alabama (Dallas County), Beloit — The Beloit Industrial Institute
On Alabama Highway 22 West (Route 22), on the left when traveling east.
Marker Front: The Beloit Industrial Institute was founded in 1888 by Industrial Missionary Association, an area subdivision of the American Missionary Associations. The President of the Association, Dr. Charles B. Curtis, was a Presbyterian . . . — Map (db m83504) HM
Alabama (Dallas County), Selma — R.B. Hudson High SchoolDallas County
On Summerfield Road at 1st Avenue, on the right when traveling south on Summerfield Road.
This school was the city of Selma's first public high school for African-Americans. Completed in 1949, the school was named in honor of Richard Byron Hudson, a black educator who had served for 41 years as principal of Clark Elementary School, . . . — Map (db m82741) HM
Alabama (Dallas County), Selma — Sgt Robert Weakley PattonBorn 1844 - Died 1865 — Battle of Selma
On Washington Street at Alabama Avenue, on the right when traveling north on Washington Street.
Patton, a member of Shockley's Escort Company of the University of Alabama, was killed in a clash with the 4th Iowa Cavalry at the corner of Washington Street and Alabama Avenue. In November 1865 his father, Robert Miller Patton, was elected the . . . — Map (db m83587) HM
Alabama (Dallas County), Selma — Tabernacle Baptist ChurchDallas County
On Broad Street (Business U.S. 80) at Minter Avenue, on the right when traveling south on Broad Street.
Side 1 In January 1885, Dr. Edward M. Brawley, President, Alabama Baptist Normal and Theological School (now Selma University) formed Tabernacle Baptist Church to be an integral part of the students' Christian formation and education. . . . — Map (db m82034) HM
Alabama (DeKalb County), Fort Payne — Sequoyah(1760-1843)
On Gault Avenue North (U.S. 11) east of 4th Street, on the right when traveling east.
Born in Tennessee, Sequoyah moved to Wills Town (DeKalb County, Alabama) area of the Cherokee Nation in 1818. Here, in 1821, he invented an 86 symbol alphabet providing the Cherokees with the only written Indian language in the United States. . . . — Map (db m28033) HM
Alabama (DeKalb County), Fort Payne — Wills Town Mission
On Gault Avenue North (U.S. 11) east of 4th Street, on the right when traveling east.
The mission was established in 1823 by the American Board of Missions to further education and Christianity among the Cherokee Indians. Mission operated until the Indian removal in 1838. Grave site of Reverend Ard Hoyt, first superintendent, . . . — Map (db m28035) HM
Alabama (DeKalb County), Geraldine — Town of Geraldine: Home of the Bulldogs
On Alabama Route 75 0.1 miles east of Main Street (Alabama Route 227), on the right when traveling north.
(front) No one knows for sure how Geraldine got its name. Some say it was named for a lovely Indian maiden. The first official record was on September 5, 1882 when Mr. William A. Johnson applied for the location of a new post office. The . . . — Map (db m79905) HM
Alabama (DeKalb County), Valley Head — Site of Cherokee Council Tree
On Railroad Avenue at Mountain Street, on the right when traveling west on Railroad Avenue.
Here stood The giant Black Spanish Oak Under which Traditionally Sequoyah Taught his newly invented Alphabet Tree felled by a storm 1934 — Map (db m28036) HM
Alabama (Elmore County), Holtville — Holtville School
On Holtville Road (Alabama Route 111).
In the late 1930's and early 1940's Holtville School won national acclaim as one the foremost examples of the progressive education movement in the U.S. It was one of 33 southern schools in 1938 chosen to receive financial support in developing new . . . — Map (db m83689) HM
Alabama (Elmore County), Wetumpka — Elmore County Training School
On Lancaster Street 0.1 miles north of Holtville Road (Alabama Route 111), on the right when traveling north.
Constructed in 1924 on five acres, this building was one of nine schools constructed in Elmore County with funding assistance from the Julius Rosenwald Fund. Between 1912-32, Julius Rosenwald, a Jewish philanthropist and CEO of Sears, Roebuck and . . . — Map (db m70548) HM
Alabama (Elmore County), Wetumpka — Welton Blanton Doby High SchoolElmore County
On Micanopy Street 0.1 miles west of NW Main Street, on the right when traveling west.
W. B. Doby served as the first President of the Elmore County Teachers Association, Principal of Elmore County Training School, and as an ordained minister in the A.M.E. Church. Local leaders dedicated this school for African-American students on . . . — Map (db m94614) HM
Alabama (Escambia County), Atmore — Escambia County Training School
On Martin Luther King Avenue north of McGlasker Street, on the right when traveling north.
In 1920, a wooden building was constructed as the Atmore Colored School and operated until 1925. In 1926, a new wood and a brick building was erected with assistance from Rosenwald School fund and it was renamed the Escambia County Training School. . . . — Map (db m100835) HM
Alabama (Escambia County), East Brewton — Downing-Shofner SchoolEast Brewton, 1906-1943
On Shoffner Street (County Road 22) at Snowden Street, on the right when traveling west on Shoffner Street.
Dr. J. M. Shofner (1863-1926) founder, dedicated his life to - "Give the boys and girls a chance." Mr. Elisha Downing - Humanitarian. First building erected named in honor of Mrs. Esther Downing. Trustees-1906: J. M. Shofner, D. . . . — Map (db m84374) HM
Alabama (Etowah County), Gadsden — Eleventh Street School
On Chestnut Street at South 11th Street, on the right when traveling east on Chestnut Street.
The Eleventh Street School, built in 1907, was one of the earliest elementary schools in Gadsden. It is the only local surviving school building of that era. This two-story red brick structure has solid masonry exterior walls and an entrance which . . . — Map (db m83734) HM
Alabama (Franklin County), Red Bay — Red Bay School
On 1st Street Southeast at 4th Avenue South (Alabama Route 24), on the right when traveling north on 1st Street Southeast.
The first school building was built around 1900 by local citizens. The building was located just across from the Methodist Church. The building was a one-room structure & there were 2 teachers who taught at the school. All pupils walked to school & . . . — Map (db m83748) HM
Alabama (Hale County), Gallion — Oak Grove School
On Oak Grove Road 0.1 miles west of Alabama Route 69, on the right when traveling west.
Tuskegee educator Booker T. Washington and Julius Rosenwald, Sears, Roebuck & Company president, initiated one of the most ambitiuous school building programs for African Americans in the United States. The Oak Grove School is one example of the . . . — Map (db m83753) HM
Alabama (Hale County), Greensboro — Southern University
On State Street (State Highway 69) at Amory Street on State Street.
Merged in 1918 as part of Birmingham Southern College. Founded here in 1856 by Methodist Church. Weathered War and Reconstruction to prosper in late 1800’s. Moved to Birmingham in 1918 on merger with Birmingham College, founded in 1896 . . . — Map (db m83756) HM
Alabama (Henry County), Abbeville — Henry County Training SchoolEstablished 1914
On County Road 25 at County Road 225, on the right when traveling south on County Road 25.
Founded by Laura L. Ward. Building designed and constructed by Jim McCauley on land given by Glass Maybin. Classes began Sept., 1917. Principals who served school were: J. H. Jackson, W. R. Rosser, Felix Blackwood, Sr., and William B. Ward, Sr. . . . — Map (db m71809) HM
Alabama (Henry County), Abbeville — The Southeast Alabama Agricultural School / First Free Secondary School in Alabama
On North Trawick Street at West College, on the right when traveling south on North Trawick Street.
Side 1 The Southeast Alabama Agricultural School This school and experiment station was created by Alabama Legislative Act No. 579, February 28, 1889. This was the first school in Alabama to offer free secondary education. SAAS . . . — Map (db m71808) HM
Alabama (Henry County), Lawrenceville — Lawrenceville / Lawrenceville Academy
On County Road 119 at County Road 37, on the right when traveling south on County Road 119.
Lawrenceville This early cultural, educational and religious center was settled in 1823 and named for Joseph Lawrence, prominent pioneer, farmer, and extensive land owner. A Baptist and a Methodist Church were established here prior to . . . — Map (db m71825) HM
Alabama (Henry County), Newville — Newville High School / Newville Rosenwald School
On North Broad Street (Alabama Route 173) 0.1 miles south of North Railroad Street (County Road 7), on the left when traveling south.
Side 1 Newville High School The first known school in Newville was at Center Church in 1881. When Grange Hall was built in 1891, church services and school were held on the first floor. In 1913, Grange Hall was torn down and the . . . — Map (db m71812) HM
Alabama (Houston County), Cowarts — Cowarts Baptist Church / Cowarts School
On Jordon Street, on the right when traveling west.
(Front): Cowarts Baptist Church Cowarts Baptist Church was founded in 1885 when dissension arose in the Congregation of Smyrna. Originally located beside the cemetery, the church was destroyed by fire during the 1890s. It was rebuilt . . . — Map (db m64865) HM
Alabama (Houston County), Kinsey — Mallalieu Seminary
On Broad Street (County Road 41) at Bethel Road, on the left when traveling east on Broad Street.
Side 1 Organized in 1882 at nearby Rocky Creek Methodist Church for educational purposes. This school, which occupied approximately seven acres surrounding this marker, was supported by the Methodist Episcopal Church North. This school . . . — Map (db m73374) HM
Alabama (Jackson County), Stevenson — Averyville
On Old Mount Carmel Road (County Route 85) at Ohio Avenue, on the left when traveling west on Old Mount Carmel Road.
(side 1) During the Reconstruction Period following the Civil War, a freedmen’s community was established in this area called Averyville, named for the Pennsylvania minister and successful businessman Charles Avery, a longtime and faithful . . . — Map (db m108803) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Birmingham - Southern College
On Arkadelphia Road, on the right when traveling south.
. . . — Map (db m37711) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Carrie A. Tuggle1858 - 1924
On 5th Avenue North at 16th Street North, on the left when traveling east on 5th Avenue North.
In Tribute to Carrie A. Tuggle 1858 - 1924 Scholar, Teacher and Christian. A life of unselfish service to the troubled and the homeless black boys and girls. In 1903, she founded a school and orphanage, the Tuggle . . . — Map (db m27391) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Dr. Ruth J. Jackson1898 - 1982
Near 5th Avenue North at 16th Street North, on the left when traveling east.
Dedicated to Dr. Ruth J. Jackson 1898-1982 This woman of strength and vision graduated from the Poro School of Cosmetology, the first black registered school in the State of Alabama. At the vanguard of the Civil Rights Movement, she was . . . — Map (db m27090) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Howard College(Now Samford University)
On 2nd Avenue South, on the right when traveling north.
Founded in 1841 at Marion in Perry County by Alabama Baptists, Howard College was named for British prison reformer John Howard. The liberal arts college moved to this site in 1887 and relocated to its present campus in Homewood, Alabama in . . . — Map (db m26693) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Pauline Bray Fletcher1878 - 1970
On 5th Avenue North at 16th Street North, on the left when traveling east on 5th Avenue North.
In Tribute to Pauline Bray Fletcher 1878 - 1970 The First Black Registered Nurse of Alabama Through self-sacrifice, perseverance founded in 1926 Camp Pauline Bray Fletcher. Renewing the faith and the good health of all black . . . — Map (db m27393) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Powell School
On 6th Avenue North at 24th Street North, on the left on 6th Avenue North.
Birmingham's first public school was named for Colonel James R. Powell, the city's first elected Mayor. This energetic promoter also served as the first President of the Elyton Land Company (now Birmingham Realty), which founded the city in 1871. . . . — Map (db m83835) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Roebuck Spring
On Roebuck Boulevard, on the left when traveling east.
In 1850 George James Roebuck and his wife Ann Hawkins Roebuck built a log cabin at the mouth of Roebuck Spring. His Influence and leadership led to the area around it to be known as Roebuck. In 1900 Alabama Boys Industrial School was located . . . — Map (db m26688) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — School of Medicine
On 7th Avenue South at 19th Street., on the right when traveling south on 7th Avenue South.
Front of Marker: Opened as Alabama Medical College in 1859 in Mobile by Josiah C. Nott and other physicians as part of the University of Alabama. Closed by the Civil War in 1861 it reopened in 1868. Reorganized in 1897, it became the . . . — Map (db m83838) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — The Birmingham Public Library / The Linn - Henley Research Library
Near Park Place.
Birmingham’s first library was organized in 1886 and in 1891 became a subscription library for the general public. In 1908 the Birmingham Public Library Association established a free public library, and the City created an independent Library Board . . . — Map (db m83856) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Homewood — Samford University
On Lakeshore Drive at Sherman Circle, in the median on Lakeshore Drive.
Multiple purpose Christian university founded 1841 as Howard College by Alabama Baptists at Marion. Moved to East Lake, Birmingham, 1887. Established on this campus 1957. Acquired Cumberland School of Law, Lebanon, Tennessee 1961. . . . — Map (db m27296) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Homewood — Shades Valley High SchoolOriginal Site (1949-2000)
On 20th Pl South south of Williamsburg Way, on the right when traveling north.
Nationally acclaimed Jefferson County School which originally served students from Homewood, Mountain Brook, Vestavia, Oak Grove, Irondale, Cahaba Heights, Hoover, Rocky Ridge, etc. Opened Fall 1949, closed 1996, demolished 2000. Designed by . . . — Map (db m47786) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Homewood — Union Hill Cemetery, Union Hill Methodist Episcopal Church, Union Hill School
On Hollywood Blvd at Union Hill Drive, on the left when traveling east on Hollywood Blvd.
This cemetery is the final resting place of many of Shades Valley's pioneer residents. A few of the earliest headstones date from the mid-1850s. Descendants of these settlers helped mold the cities of Mountain Brook and Homewood. Located on property . . . — Map (db m26294) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Hoover — Bluff Park Elementary School / Hoover Community Education
On Park Avenue, on the right when traveling north.
Summit/Hale Sps., a one-room school, opened on the mountain in 1898. It moved to this site and was named Bluff Park Elementary School with 50 students and funded with community support in 1923. From two-rooms, it expanded to 32 classrooms in 1988. . . . — Map (db m28486) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Hoover — Patton Chapel Church 1866
On Patton Chapel Road west of Montgomery Highway (U.S. 31), on the right when traveling west.
Just after the War Between the States Robert Berry Patton gave seven acres of land, logs from his sawmill to build a church, school and cemetery. He served as the first pastor. Fire destroyed the church in 1908 and 1938. The school served the area . . . — Map (db m83915) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Hoover — Rocky Ridge Elementary SchoolFirst School in Hoover Area
On Old Rocky Rodge Road (County Road 115) at Acton Road, on the left when traveling north on Old Rocky Rodge Road.
A subscription school organized in the 1850’s in Rocky Ridge Cumberland Presbyterian Church. Land deeded by church in 1881 to build a log school. In 1912, Professor E. D. Watkins taught all classes to the 30 students. In 1918, his 15 year old . . . — Map (db m73065) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Hoover — Shades Crest Road Historical District
On Shades Crest Road (County Road 97) at Park Avenue, on the right when traveling north on Shades Crest Road.
Indian, Wagon Trail, now Shades Crest Road, led to popular chalybeate springs. Summit, now Bluff Park, was a resort known for its view, cool air and healing mineral water. In 1899 school / church was built. In 1909 Bluff Park Hotel, built on land . . . — Map (db m27311) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Hoover — Shades Crest Road Historical District
On Shades Crest Road east of Mimosa Lane, on the right when traveling east.
Indian, Wagon Trail, now Shades Crest Road, led to popular chalybeate springs. Summit, now Bluff Park, was a resort known for its view, cool air and healing mineral water. In 1899 school / church was built. In 1909 Bluff Park Hotel, built on land . . . — Map (db m28517) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Leeds — Mt. Hebron School
On Eastern Valley Road (State Road 119), on the right when traveling east.
Front: In 1915, the men of the Mt. Hebron Community cleared the land donated by Bess Simmons for a school. Trees donated by Mitch Poole were placed on Rufus Brasher’s wagon and taken to Will Scott’s sawmill. The school opened in the fall . . . — Map (db m83918) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Mountain Brook — Mountain Brook
On Church Street, on the right when traveling east.
In 1821 the first settlers came to this area, later called Waddell. Large numbers of people first migrated here in 1863 with the construction of the Irondale Furnace. Destroyed in the Civil War, the furnace was rebuilt and operated from 1867 to . . . — Map (db m26769) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Burrell Normal SchoolBurrell High School — Burrell-Slater High School 1903~1969
On W College St. at Burrell St. on W College St..
This school named Burrell Academy, formerly in Selma, Alabama, was given to Florence by the American Missionary Association. In 1903, Burrell Normal School opened and served African ~American students in grades 1-12. In 1937, the Florence City Board . . . — Map (db m83940) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Caroline Lee HentzCity of Florence Walk of Honor
Near Hightower Place south of Veterans Drive (Alabama Route 133), on the left when traveling south.
Educator and author Caroline Hentz was among the first female novelists in America. Her 13 volumes were some of the most popular in the U.S. during the mid-1800s, and her three dramas were produced in major cities. — Map (db m29100) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Coffee High School1917~1951
On Hermitage Drive (County Route 47) at North Walnut Street, on the right when traveling south on Hermitage Drive.
(side 1) Coffee High School opened at this site in the fall of 1917. Camilla Coffee donated the land in honor of her late husband, Capt. Alexander D. Coffee, son of Gen. John Coffee, a Founding Father of Florence. Because of her generosity, . . . — Map (db m104643) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Courtview, Rogers Hall — 1855
On East Ervine Avenue at North Court Street, on the right when traveling west on East Ervine Avenue.
George Washington Foster, planter, built this Greek Revival Mansion. An Act of the legislature was required to close Court Street, In fall of 1864 it was headquarters of Nathan B. Forrest, General, CSA. Foster's daughter, Sarah Independence McDonald . . . — Map (db m28868) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Dr. Ethelbert Brinkley NortonCity of Florence Walk of Honor
Near Hightower Place south of Veterans Drive (Alabama Route 133), on the left when traveling south.
Dr. E. B. Norton was a member of the U.S. Education Mission sent to Japan after World War II to advise Gen. McArthur on the complete reorganization of the Japanese School System, which is still in place today. — Map (db m29266) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Florence State Teachers College
On N. Wood Ave. at Cramer Way on N. Wood Ave..
Oldest state~supported teacher college south of Ohio R. 1830 ~ opened as LaGrange College (Methodist) at nearby Leighton. First charted college in state. 1855 ~ moved here and re~named Florence Wesleyan University. Flourished until . . . — Map (db m83970) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Florence Synodical Female College(1855~1893)
On North Wood Avenue at Tombigbee Street on North Wood Avenue.
Side A The Cypress Land Company reserved this block for educational purposes. In 1847 the Florence Female Academy, consisting of two buildings, was established. The Academy was soon in financial trouble. Despite a $20,000 contribution from . . . — Map (db m83973) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — George H. Carroll Lion Habitat
Near North Wood Avenue.
The lion habitat is named in honor of George H. Carroll (1926-1998), a long-standing friend and supporter of the University of North Alabama (UNA). Mr. Carroll was the loving husband of Virginia Sego Carroll and father of Steven, Judy, and George . . . — Map (db m35658) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Gilbert Elementary School
On Gilbert Circle, on the right when traveling east.
Gilbert School, named in honor of Henry C. Gilbert, school superintendent 1892-1904 and long time member of Board of Education was built in 1920, costing $79,000. The structure was planned by George D. Waller, architect. A relief sculpture . . . — Map (db m83988) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Locust Dell Academy1834~1843
On N. Wood Avenue.
On this site Nicholas Marcellus Hentz conducted a girls school. Native of Metz, France, Hentz was a painter, entomologist, author, and was once a professor at University of North Alabama. Experimenting with silkworms, he planted groves of mulberry . . . — Map (db m84029) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Maud McKnight LindsayMay 13, 1874 - May 30, 1941
On Cole Avenue.
Born in Tuscumbia, Lived in Sheffield Daughter of Robert Burns Lindsay, Governor of Alabama 1870. Teacher of Alabama's first kindergarten - 1898. Ranks as one of the greatest kindergarten teachers in the world. Author of 14 books for children. . . . — Map (db m84041) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Patton Elementary School(1891-1958)
On Dr. Hicks Boulevard, on the right when traveling west.
First school in Florence Public school system built 1890 on land given by Governor Robert M. Patton. It was occupied in 1891. Designed originally to serve all white elementary school children of Florence. Usually served six grades divided into nine . . . — Map (db m84042) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Saint Paul African Methodist Episcopal Church(Organized 1879 from earlier 1840 Congregation)
On Burrell Street at White Street on Burrell Street.
In early 1840s about 14 African-American members from First Methodist formed own congregation “Church Springs” near South Court Street. In 1857, a nearby brick cow shed was converted for its use under Rev. Robin Lightfoot who became a . . . — Map (db m84050) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Sculpture Relief Books and Learning1921
On N. Wood Ave..
This sculpture relief was created by James W. Stoves and placed above the entrance to Gilbert Elementary School in 1921. In 1980, following the demolition of Gilbert school, it was moved to Hibbett Middle School. Because of its theme which relates . . . — Map (db m84048) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Simpson House~Irvine Place~Coby Hall
On Pine Street.
Built by John Simpson in 1843, on the site of his earlier home, this residence was occupied at various times by both armies during the Civil War. Purchased in 1867 by George W. Foster, builder of Courtview, for his daughter, Virginia, and her . . . — Map (db m45808) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Wesleyan Bell
On Wood Avenue near Cramer Way.
The Wesleyan Bell was manufactured by the C.S. Bell Company in Hillsboro, Ohio, it is made of alloy steel, has a diameter of 38 inches, and is 24 inches high (not including its yoke). The weight of the bell is 660 pounds. When 350- pounds mountings . . . — Map (db m28881) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Wesleyan Hall 1855
On Cramer Way.
Chartered 1856 as Florence Wesleyan University, R.H. Rivers, President. Regarded as North Alabama's most eminent landmark, this Gothic Revival Structure was designed by Adolphus Heiman, Nashville, And built by Zebulon Pike Morrison, Florence, as new . . . — Map (db m28864) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Rogersville — Lauderdale County High School 1912
On College Street at Williams Street, on the left when traveling east on College Street.
(side 1) Prior to 1912, a private school, Rogersville High School, was housed in a two-story wooden frame building located in this vicinity. On August 7, 1907, an act was passed by the Alabama Legislature to establish a state high school in . . . — Map (db m84297) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Rogersville — Springfield Community 1810/Springfield Church and School
On Alabama Route 101 at County Route 646, on the right when traveling north on State Route 101.
(side 1) Springfield Community 1810 Springfield Community is believed to have been among the earliest settlements in Lauderdale County. It was laid out as a town and considered as the location for the county seat. As early as 1810, . . . — Map (db m100604) HM
Alabama (Lawrence County), Moulton — Gallagher Hill/Science Hill
On Court Street (County Route 460) at Hospital Street, on the right when traveling west on Court Street.
The elevation to the northeast was known as Gallagher Hill. It was owned by John Gallagher who was born 1784 in Donegal County, Ireland. Coming to America 12 Aug 1812, he was a Lawrence County official by 1822. Later known as Science Hill, the . . . — Map (db m69668) HM
Alabama (Lawrence County), Moulton — Judge Thomas M. Peters
On Market Street (Alabama Route 33) at College Street, on the right when traveling south on Market Street.
A scientist of national fame, Peters (1810-1888) lived for many years in Moulton with his wife Naomi (Leetch), a relative of President James K. Polk, who possibly visited here. A man of many talents, Peters was a noted linguist, early civil rights . . . — Map (db m69670) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Auburn 1865~Present / The "Loveliest Village"
On East Magnolia Avenue 0.1 miles east of North College Street (Alabama Route 15), on the right when traveling west.
Side 1 Auburn 1865~Present Only one house was built in the village in the decade after the Civil War, and though the state took over the bankrupt college in 1872, the institution received no state appropriation until 1883. . . . — Map (db m79947) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Auburn United Methodist Church Founder's Chapel
On East Magnolia Avenue at South Gay Street, on the right when traveling east on East Magnolia Avenue.
In 1836 Judge John Harper with 34 other Methodists from Harris County, Georgia settled here. They built a log structure on this site, the first church and school in Auburn. In 1856 church leaders inspired the Methodist Conference to open East . . . — Map (db m74442) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Auburn UniversityAlabama’s Land-Grant University
On West Thach Avenue at Mell Street, on the right on West Thach Avenue.
This title given by Legislature in 1960 followed start of second century of growth in diverse services to state, nation. This act confirmed name “Auburn” used popularly from its founding by Methodists as East Alabama Male College in . . . — Map (db m39814) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Auburn University Chapel
On South College Street north of East Thach Avenue, on the right when traveling north.
Side A: The University Chapel is the oldest public building in the city of Auburn. Built as a Presbyterian Church, the first service was held in the original Greek Revival-style building on September 13, 1851. Edwin Reese, spiritual leader . . . — Map (db m39831) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Cary HallBuilt 1940 — A Memorial to Dr. Charles Allen Cary (1861-1935)
On West Thach Concourse 0.1 miles west of Miller Drive, on the right when traveling west.
(Side 1) Dr. Charles Cary, a native of Iowa and graduate of Iowa State in 1887, came to Auburn in 1892 and taught the first class of veterinary medicine at Alabama Polytechnic Institute. He has been called the Father of Veterinary . . . — Map (db m74436) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — City Hall
On Tichenor Avenue at North Gay Street, on the right when traveling east on Tichenor Avenue.
Side 1 In 1846, Auburn's founder, Judge John J. Harper deeded the property on this corner to Simeon Perry, as town agent for two of the earliest public schools in Auburn. A member of the settlement party, Perry laid out the original . . . — Map (db m79948) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Desegregation at Auburn
Near West Thach Road at South College Street.
The first African American student entered the library to register at Auburn University at this site. Acting on a court order, Auburn president Ralph Brown Draughon accepted the application of Harold Franklin as the first African American student in . . . — Map (db m90861) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Founders' Oak
Near Garden Drive 0.1 miles west of South College Street (Alabama Route 15), on the left when traveling west.
This post oak started growth in 1850 and was 6 years old when East Alabama Male College was established. It was 33 years old when the Alabama Agricultural Station was established, 91 when the nation entered World War II, and over 100 when this site . . . — Map (db m74430) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — J. F. Drake High School / Alma Mater
On Spencer Avenue 0.1 miles north of Clark Avenue, on the right when traveling north.
(Side 1) J. F. Drake High School J.F. Drake High School, formerly Lee County Training School, educated Black children of the community from 1958 to 1970. It bears the name of Dr. Joseph Fanning Drake. Drake consisted of 12 . . . — Map (db m74457) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Max Adams Morris / Max Adams Morris Drill Field
Near War Eagle Way at South Donahue Street, on the left when traveling west.
(Side 1) Max Adams Morris Max Adams Morris b. December 7, 1918, of Blountsville, Alabama, entered Alabama Polytechnic Institute (API) in 1938, was a varsity football player and became a member of "A" club, Scabbard & Blade, and . . . — Map (db m85166) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Noble Hall
On Shelton Mill Road (County Route 97) 0.8 miles north of East University Drive, on the left when traveling north.
Marker Front: The Greek Revival rock and mortar house was built by Addison Frazer (1809-1873) between 1852 and 1854 and served as the center for a 2,000 acre cotton plantation. Frazer owned 100 slaves and was on the Board of Trustees of . . . — Map (db m25988) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Robert Wilton Burton1848-1917
On East Magnolia Avenue 0.1 miles east of Burton Street, on the left when traveling east.
(Side 1) Near this site once stood "Four-Story Cottage," the home of Robert Wilton Burton. A one-story house with wide porch and bay window, Burton built it in 1885 with proceeds from the sale of four stories to children's magazines. Born . . . — Map (db m74440) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Sigma Alpha Epsilon
On W. Magnolia Street.
The Alpha Mu chapter of Sigma Alpha Epsilon was founded on June 15, 1878 at the Agricultural & Mechanical College of Alabama (now Auburn University). John E.D. Shipp came to Auburn as a student determined to organize a chapter at a time when . . . — Map (db m66726) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — The Auburn Guards Reviewed by Jefferson Davis
On Mitcham Avenue at North Gay Street, on the right when traveling west on Mitcham Avenue.
At the Auburn train depot on February 16, 1861, Jefferson Davis reviewed the Auburn Guards, the first Confederate military company thus honored. Davis was en route to his inauguration as President of the Confederacy. The Auburn Guards were comprised . . . — Map (db m74455) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — The Cullars Rotation / The Alvis Field and Cotton Rust
Near Woodfield Drive 0.1 miles east of South College Street (Alabama Route 15), on the right when traveling east. Reported missing.
Side 1 The Cullars Rotation The Cullars Rotation is the oldest, continuous soil fertility study in the South and the second oldest cotton study in the world. It was started in 1911 by the Alabama Agricultural Experiment Station . . . — Map (db m74463) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — The Old Rotation
On Lem Morrison Drive 0.1 miles north of Duncan Drive, on the right when traveling north.
Established in 1896 by Professor J.F. Duggar, the Old Rotation at Auburn University is: (1) the oldest, continuous cotton experiment in the U.S.; and (2) the 3rd oldest continuous field crop experiment in the U.S.; and (3) the 1st experiment to . . . — Map (db m74429) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Wittel Dormitory
On South Gay Street at East Thach Avenue, on the right when traveling north on South Gay Street. Reported missing.
Wittel Dormitory has long been admired as one of Auburn’s most significant examples of classic nineteenth-century design. Built in the early 1900’s by Samuel S. Wittel to house professional women, it also served as a home for three generations of . . . — Map (db m66725) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Loachapoka — First Rosenwald School
On Stage Road (Alabama Route 14) 0.4 miles east of Arrowhead Road (County Road 188), on the right when traveling east.
Side 1 On this site once stood the first of over 5,300 Rosenwald schools for black children built between 1913 and 1932. The schools were started in a collaboration between Julius Rosenwald, CEO of Sears, Roebuck, and Company and Booker . . . — Map (db m73539) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Opelika — African-American Rosemere CemeteryLee County
On Long Street at Auburn Street, on the left when traveling north on Long Street.
Side 1 On February 9, 1876, the City of Opelika paid D.B. Preston $80 for two acres of land to establish an African-American section of Rosemere Cemetery. This rectangular area of the cemetery contains 176 blocks, with 16 being partial . . . — Map (db m75139) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Opelika — Killgore Scholarships / Some Terms of Scholarships
On Avenue B at South 9th Street, on the right when traveling south on Avenue B.
Side 1 Killgore Scholarships Here James A. Killgore (1888-1966) and his wife, Ophelia Parker, operated a grocery store from 1916 to 1944. The Killgores worked hard, practiced frugality, and invested money wisely, desiring to help . . . — Map (db m75123) HM
Alabama (Limestone County), Athens — Athens Collegea liberal arts college — 1822
On Pryor Street just from N. Beaty Street, on the right when traveling east.
. . . — Map (db m29111) HM
Alabama (Limestone County), Athens — Athens, Alabama
On Beaty Street North at Market Street/Buck Island Road on Beaty Street North. Reported missing.
(Side A): Athens was incorporated in 1818, one year prior to the admission of Alabama as the 22nd state. It is the seat of Limestone County, created by an act of the Alabama Territorial Legislature. Athens has a legacy of providing quality . . . — Map (db m85388) HM
Alabama (Limestone County), Athens — Coleman FamilyColeman Hill
On 4th Street at Grace Avenue, on the right when traveling west on 4th Street.
Wealthy and influential Virginia family settled here in 1820's. Daniel Coleman (1801-1857) built his stately home a block west about 1826. During the Civil War, home was occupied by Yankee troops who took Elizabeth Coleman's teeth for their gold . . . — Map (db m85389) HM
Alabama (Limestone County), Athens — Faces of Market Street
On Market Street east of North Marion Street, on the right when traveling west.
From the 1850s to the 1970s, the Louisville & Nashville Depot was located between Market and Washington streets. The building has been used as a dress ship, a photographer's studio, and in 2004 was remodeled for the Limestone County Archives. . . . — Map (db m93878) HM
Alabama (Limestone County), Athens — Fort Henderson / Trinity School - 1865-1970
On Browns Ferry Street (County Road 29) west of Allyn Street, on the right when traveling west.
Fort Henderson Built on this site in 1863 by federal forces occupying Athens. It was a five-sided earthen fort with some frame buildings and underground bomb-proofs. Abatis lined the fifteen-foot deep perimeter ditch, a small portion of which . . . — Map (db m41787) HM
Alabama (Limestone County), Athens — Old Town Cemetery
On East Washington Street west of East Street, on the right when traveling west.
This is the earliest known cemetery in the town of Athens, and the final resting place for many of its first citizens. The earliest burials date from the 1820’s and continue through the mid-1800’s, with an occasional burial past 1900. Through the . . . — Map (db m71525) HM
Alabama (Limestone County), Athens — Trinity School Cistern
Near East Market Street west of South Clinton Street, on the right when traveling east.
This cistern is the last remnant of Trinity School located here 1865-1907. The cistern was used to store rainwater collected from the roof. No physical evidence remains of the Ross Hotel, the Chapman Quarters, and other buildings on this block, . . . — Map (db m72219) HM
Alabama (Limestone County), Decatur — Southeast Air Forces Training Center(Pryor Field)
Near Bee Line Highway (U.S. 31) 0.6 miles south of Thomas L Hammons Road, on the left when traveling south.
The Southeast Air Forces Training Center operated by Southern Aviation Training School, also known as Pryor Field, was constructed in 1941. These two aircraft hangars and beacon tower are the remaining artifacts of one of only a few World War II . . . — Map (db m85425) HM
Alabama (Limestone County), Elkmont — Elkmont Pride: Family-School-Church
On Upper Fort Hampton Road (County Route 49) east of Railroad Street, on the left when traveling east.
Limestone County High School (grades 9-12) was established in 1912. Money for the building, nearly $10,000, was obtained from three sources: the sale of property of an old Elkmont Elementary School, state funds, and private donations. Honored and . . . — Map (db m93851) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Franklin — Franklin's Educational Legacy
On Tuskegee-Franklin Road (Alabama Route 49) 0.4 miles south of County Road 17, on the left when traveling south.
(obverse) Franklin School, originally constructed on this lot, was in operation as early as the 1890s teaching grades 1-11. By the mid 1930s, it was downsized to grades 1-6. There were northern and southern classrooms adjoined by a common . . . — Map (db m68028) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Notasulga — Shiloh Missionary Baptist Church "The Tree"
Near Tuskegee Street (Alabama Route 81) at Shiloh Street, on the right when traveling north.
It was under this tree that participants in the U.S. Public Health Study of Untreated Syphilis in Negro Males in Macon County, Alabama, met to wait for Nurse Rivers, the Shiloh School nurse, to come and either administer treatment, update health . . . — Map (db m95113) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Notasulga — Shiloh-Rosenwald School / Shiloh Missionary Baptist Church
On Tuskegee Street (Alabama Route 81) at Shiloh Road, on the right when traveling north on Tuskegee Street.
Side 1 Shiloh-Rosenwald School The Shiloh-Rosenwald School, located in Notasulga, was a collaboration between educator Booker T. Washington and Julius Rosenwald, CEO of Sears. Rosenwald schools are landmarks in the history of . . . — Map (db m95109) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Shorter — George Stiggins1788-1845
On Old Federal Road (County Road 8), on the right when traveling west.
Unmarked grave in Cubahatchie Baptist Church Cemetery. Half-blooded Creek Indian, planter, soldier, Indian agent, and historian, Stiggins lived on a nearby farm fronting the Federal Road from 1831 until his death. There he wrote "A . . . — Map (db m60534) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee — Booker T. Washington
On North Church Street at West Martin Luther King Highway (U.S. 80), on the left when traveling north on North Church Street.
. . . — Map (db m69096) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee — Brief History of Tuskegee, Alabama
On Westside Street at West Northside Street, on the right when traveling south on Westside Street.
Front Tuskegee consists of 80 square miles and is the county seat of Macon County, Alabama. Tuskegee rests in the heart of the rural Alabama Black Belt and is 40 miles east of Montgomery. Tuskegee was founded by General Thomas S. . . . — Map (db m99679) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee — The Oaks — Tuskegee Institute National Historic Site
On West Montgomery Road east of Chambliss Street, on the right when traveling east.
The actual sight of a first-class house that a Negro has built is ten times more potent than pages of discussion about a house that he ought to build, or perhaps could build. —Booker T. Washington, Up From Slavery . . . — Map (db m101919) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee Institute — Birth of Trades Program — Tuskegee Institute National Historic Site
On Lewis Adams Street at University Avenue, on the left when traveling south on Lewis Adams Street.
We shall prosper . . . as we learn to dignify and glorify labor and put brains and skills into the common occupations of life. —Booker T. Washington Tuskegee Institute's vocational training program began in this . . . — Map (db m101934) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee Institute — Booker T Washington1856   1915
Near Booker T Washington Boulevard at Campus Drive.
[Center] He lifted the Veil of Ignorance from his people and pointed the way to progress through education and industry [Far left] We shall prosper in proportion as we learn to dignify and glorify labor . . . — Map (db m100163) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee Institute — Carver Research Foundation1951
On University Avenue at Lewis Adams Street, on the right when traveling east on University Avenue.
On February 10, 1940 George Washington Carver signed the deed of gift establishing the Carver Foundation with a $33,000 contribution from his personal savings. According to Carver, the foundation was established "for the purpose of combining . . . — Map (db m101912) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee Institute — Dining and Social Center — Tuskegee Institute National Historic Site
Near University Avenue 0.2 miles east of Booker T. Washington Boulevard.
The young women all seated first, and then the young men march in. But no conversation is allowed until . . . a simple grace is chanted by the chorus of a thousand voices. —Booker T. Washington, The Working . . . — Map (db m101926) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee Institute — Dorothy Hall — Tuskegee Institute National Historic Site
On Booker T Washington Boulevard at Campus Drive, on the right when traveling north on Booker T Washington Boulevard.
We also felt that we must not only teach the students how to prepare their food but how to serve and eat it properly. Booker T. Washington, The Story of My Life and Work Hospitality continues to reign in this . . . — Map (db m100274) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee Institute — Enhancing Health Care — Tuskegee Institute National Historic Site
On Booker T. Washington Boulevard at Benjamin F Payton Drive on Booker T. Washington Boulevard.
Let our societies spend less money in taking care of the sick, and much more money in promoting the health of the race . . . . Let us make health contagious in every community rather than disease. —Booker T. Washington, Address . . . — Map (db m101940) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee Institute — Frederick Douglass Hall1904
Near University Avenue 0.2 miles east of Booker T. Washington Boulevard.
Named for Frederick Douglass, famed runaway slave, abolitionist and statesman. Douglass came to Tuskegee in 1892 and delivered the 11th Annual Commencement address in which he "urged economy, thrift and common sense." Those words of Douglass echoed . . . — Map (db m101908) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee Institute — Great Philanthropists — Tuskegee Institute National Historic Site
On University Avenue 0.2 miles east of Booker T. Washington Boulevard, on the right when traveling east.
I will be very glad to pay the bills for the library building . . . and I am glad of this opportunity to show the interest I have in your noble work. —Andrew Carnegie Carnegie Hall is named for Andrew Carnegie, . . . — Map (db m101923) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee Institute — Historic Quadrangle — Tuskegee Institute National Historic Site
On University Avenue 0.2 miles east of Booker T. Washington Boulevard, on the right when traveling west.
When school is in session, the broad expanse in front of you—the university's main quadrangle—buzzes with activity just as it did in the early 1900s, but life was much more regimented then. Students received demerits if they did not obey . . . — Map (db m101920) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee Institute — Huntington Hall1900
Near University Avenue 0.2 miles east of Booker T. Washington Boulevard.
Built as a girls dormitory with funds donated by the widow of Collis P. Huntington, philanthropist, and president of the C & O (Chesapeake & Ohio) Railroad. Huntington Hall was designed by architect, Robert R. Taylor, the first African American . . . — Map (db m101907) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee Institute — Lifting the Veil of Ignorance
On Booker T Washington Boulevard at Campus Road on Booker T Washington Boulevard.
In this sculpture by Charles Keck, Booker T. Washington lifts the veil of ignorance from the face of a former slave. The open book, plow, and anvil symbolize Washington's guiding principles of opening the path to education through agriculture and . . . — Map (db m99942) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee Institute — Managing the School — Tuskegee Institute National Historic Site
On University Avenue 0.2 miles east of Booker T. Washington Boulevard, on the right when traveling east.
. . . the school is not dependent upon the presence of any one individual. The whole executive force . . . is so organized . . . that the machinery of the school goes on day by day like clockwork. —Booker T. Washington, . . . — Map (db m101922) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee Institute — Porter Hall 1883 / Huntington Academic Building 1905
On University Avenue west of Tuskegee Airmen Circle, on the right when traveling west.
Porter Hall 1883 Porter Hall was the first building erected on the Tuskegee campus. The building housed administrative offices, library reading and recitation rooms, chapel, kitchen, dining room, living quarters and laundry. It . . . — Map (db m101915) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee Institute — Site of Olivia Davidson HallMen's Dormitory
On University Avenue at Lewis Adams Street, on the right when traveling west on University Avenue.
Site of Olivia Davidson Hall Men's Dormitory 1886 – 1954 Originally Samuel Armstrong Hall 1886 - 1892 — Map (db m101914) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee Institute — The Burnt Place — Tuskegee Institute National Historic Site
On University Avenue at Tuskegee Airmen Circle, on the right when traveling north on University Avenue.
At the time we occupied the place there were standing upon it a cabin, formerly used as the dining room, an old kitchen, a stable, and an old hen-house. Within a few weeks we had all of these structures in use.   —Booker T. . . . — Map (db m101916) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee Institute — The Tuskegee Airmen's Plaza
On Campus Road east of Foster [West Outer] Drive, on the right when traveling east.
This plaza is dedicated to the memory of the Tuskegee Airmen, including General Daniel "Chappie" James, whose training at Tuskegee University and the Tuskegee Army Air Field enabled them to prove for all time the competence and bravery of Black . . . — Map (db m20076) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee Institute — Thomas Monroe Campbell
On Foster Drive at Moton Drive, on the right when traveling south on Foster Drive.
. . . — Map (db m102540) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee Institute — Thrasher Hall
On University Avenue west of Lewis Adams Street, on the right when traveling east.
Thrasher Hall, renovated in 1983. Was built in 1893 by teachers and students using brick they made. Only the exterior walls remain from the original building. The bell above rang for class changes. It was located in the building's bell tower until . . . — Map (db m101905) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee Institute — Tuskegee Cemetery — Tuskegee Institute National Historic Site
On Booker T Washington Boulevard 0.1 miles south of Frederick D. Patterson Drive, on the right when traveling south.
More than 8,000 people, White and Colored, rich and poor, from the lowliest farm and the richest Fifth Avenue mansion crowded in and around the school chapel to pay homage [to Booker T. Washington]. —Baltimore Afro-American, . . . — Map (db m99943) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee Institute — Tuskegee UniversityF-4C Phantom
On University Avenue at Foster Drive, on the right when traveling east on University Avenue.
This U.S. Air Force F-4C Phantom Jet Fighter was flown by General "Chappie" James, Tuskegee University graduate and first Black Four-Star General in the U.S. Armed Services, on his last combat mission--Operation Bold--over Southeast Asia. It flies . . . — Map (db m101902) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee Institute — Up From Slavery — Tuskegee Institute National Historic Site
On University Avenue at Tuskegee Airmen Circle, on the right when traveling east on University Avenue.
I determined when quite a small child . . . I would in some way get enough education to enable me to read common books and newspapers. —Booker T. Washington, Up From Slavery Booker T. Washington changed the . . . — Map (db m101932) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee Institute — White Hall1910
Near University Avenue 0.2 miles east of Booker T. Washington Boulevard.
Named in honor of Alexander Moss White of Brooklyn, New York, with funds donated by his children. This structure opened fall 1909. The building was officially dedicated in January 1910 was a dormitory for women. A bronze tower with clock was added . . . — Map (db m101906) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Gurley — Town of Gurley
On Lee Highway/John T Reid Parkway (U.S. 72) at Gurley Pike, on the right when traveling west on Lee Highway/John T Reid Parkway.
Located on land owned by John Gurley, pioneer settler, and named for him. His son, Capt. Frank B. Gurley, became a Confederate hero as a member of the 4th Ala. Cavalry. The settlement that developed around the water tank on Memphis and Charleston . . . — Map (db m30574) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — Alabama’s Constitution And Statehood
On Gates Avenue at Franklin Street S.E. on Gates Avenue.
Before statehood, the Alabama Territory had only limited rights of self government. Between July 5 and August 2, 1819, forty-four delegates from across the Territory convened in Huntsville to draft a constitution for statehood. Lawyers, merchants, . . . — Map (db m26592) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — Fifth Avenue SchoolSite of Alabama's First Public School Integration
On Gallatin Street Southwest at Governors Drive Southwest, on the right when traveling south on Gallatin Street Southwest.
Opened in 1944, the Fifth Avenue School became the focal point for major educational change on September 9, 1963, when Sonnie Hereford IV became the first African-American student to integrate public schools in Alabama. Following a lengthy court . . . — Map (db m55722) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — Lincoln School and Village
On Meridian Street at Abingdon Avenue NW, on the right when traveling north on Meridian Street.
In 1918 William Lincoln Barrell of Lowell MA. purchased Abingdon Mill and transformed it into a large textile center of all concrete construction named Lincoln Mill Village. Phillip Peeler served as its superintendent from 1934-1953. Built in 1929 . . . — Map (db m39758) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — Merrimack Mfg. Co. & Village / Joseph J. Bradley School1900-1992 / 1919-1967
On Triana Boulevard SW 0.3 miles north of Drake Avenue SW, on the right when traveling north.
Merrimack Mfg. Co. & Village In 1899, construction started on Merrimack Mill and village. The mill began operation in 1900. A second mill building, added in 1903, made it one of the largest in the South. Under Joseph J. Bradley, Sr., . . . — Map (db m38805) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — Oakwood CollegeFounded 1896
On Adventist Blvd NW at Millennium Drive NW, on the right when traveling north on Adventist Blvd NW.
Oakwood College, which began as an industrial school, was founded by the Seventh-day Adventist Church in 1896 to educate African Americans in the South. The school was erected on 380 acres purchased during the previous year for $6,700. Additional . . . — Map (db m34953) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — Oakwood CollegeFounded 1896
On Adventist Blvd NW 0.2 miles west of Sparkman Drive NW, on the right when traveling west.
Oakwood College, which began as an industrial school, was founded by the Seventh-day Adventist Church in 1896 to educate African Americans in the South. The school was erected on 380 acres purchased during the previous year for $6,700. Additional . . . — Map (db m34955) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — Original Site of Alabama Agricultural and Mechanical University
On Clinton Avenue SE at Monroe Street SE, on the right when traveling east on Clinton Avenue SE.
(Front) Original site of Alabama Agricultural and Mechanical University (now located at Normal, Alabama) Legislature approved 9 December 1873 "a normal school for the education of colored teachers" in Huntsville. Ex-slave William Hooper . . . — Map (db m85546) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — Randolph Street Church Of Christ
On Randolph Avenue Southeast, on the right when traveling east.
Organized as a Christian Church, this is the original congregation of what is now the Church of Christ in Huntsville. A gospel meeting was held in the Courthouse in 1883, conducted by James A. Harding, evangelist and founder of Harding College and . . . — Map (db m27899) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — Rev. Dr. Joseph E. Lowery Boyhood Home Site(Dean of Civil Rights Movement)
On Church Street Northwest, on the right when traveling north.
Side A Dr. Joseph Echols Lowery was born in Huntsville on Oct 6, 1921, to Dora and Leroy Lowery. He grew up in Lakeside (Methodist) church. He began his education in Huntsville, spent his middle school years in Chicago, and returned to . . . — Map (db m85550) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — Site of Green Academy
On Clinton Avenue East, on the right when traveling west.
Chartered in 1812. Leading educational Institution. Long prominent in training leaders of North Alabama. Occupied by Federal troops, 1862. Building burned, 1864. Site of city schools since 1882. Location used only for school purposes. Alabama . . . — Map (db m55724) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — Site of Huntsville Female College1851-1895
On Randolph Avenue SE west of Figures Alley SE, on the right when traveling west.
Organized in 1851 under the direction of the Methodist Episcopal Church, so this institution became one of the finest of its kind in the South in the education of girls from the primary through the college level. Its aim was to "secure the . . . — Map (db m37842) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — Thrasher Memorial Fountain
On Monroe Street at Williams Avenue, on the right when traveling south on Monroe Street.
Tom Goodman Thrasher August 4, 1916 December 19, 1999 -Grew up in Birmingham, Alabama -Studied Engineering at the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa -Married the former Dorothy Wright of Belmont, Mississippi -Served in the Army in North . . . — Map (db m85611) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — William Hooper Councill High School Site1892-1966
On St. Clair Avenue 0.1 miles east of Monroe Street, on the right when traveling west.
The first public school for African-Americans in the city of Huntsville was named for the founder of the Alabama A&M University. The site, selected by a committee headed by the Rev. W.E. Gaston, was donated by the Davis-Lowe family. Founded in 1867 . . . — Map (db m36065) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Normal — Alabama A&M University former names / Alabama Agricultural and Mechanical UniversityNormal, Alabama
On Meridian Street at Chase Road NE, on the right when traveling north on Meridian Street.
Alabama A&M University former names 1873 - Colored Normal School at Huntsville 1885 - The Huntsville State Colored Normal and Industrial School 1896 - The State Agricultural and Mechanical College for Negroes 1919 - The State Agricultural and . . . — Map (db m39760) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Normal — Councill Training School(1919 - 1970)
On Meridian Street 0.2 miles north of Chase Road NE, on the left when traveling north.
Side A In 1919, the first building was erected nearby with funds provided locally and supplemented with a Julius Rosenwald Foundation grant. Named for William H. Councill, Alabama A&M University founder, the three-room structure was built . . . — Map (db m39761) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Normal — William Hooper CouncillFounder — Alabama A&M University
On Meridian Street at Parker Drive NW, on the right when traveling north on Meridian Street.
"...A tower of knowledge, of strength, of power ...Let us build..." Dr. William Hooper Councill served as President of Alabama A&M University and was the catalyst for its early development from its founding in 1875 until his death in 1909. . . . — Map (db m39763) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Ryland — Central High School/Central Junior High School1917-1931/1931-1981
On Ryland Pike east of Moontown Road, on the right when traveling east.
Central High School 1917-1931 In 1916, the Superintendent of Madison County Schools met with the citizens of Ryland, Maysville, and Brownsboro to discuss plans to replace the three one-room schools serving each community. Five acres of . . . — Map (db m113466) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Ryland — Shiloh United Methodist ChurchOrganized 1808
On Ryland Pike west of Dug Hill Road, on the left when traveling west.
In October, 1808, the Western Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church sent James Gwinn, a circuit rider, to the "great bend" of the Tennessee River to formalize existing Methodist Societies. He organized the Flint Circuit to serve frontier . . . — Map (db m39767) HM
Alabama (Marengo County), McKinley — Bethel Hill Missionary Baptist Church
On Bee Lane (County Road 38) 0.1 miles east of County Road 63, on the right when traveling east.
Following the Civil War and emancipation, newly freed African Americans, who had worshiped in the Bethel Church in McKinley while enslaved, established their own Bethel Church in a wooden house at the rear of the current church site. In the . . . — Map (db m72969) HM
Alabama (Marshall County), Albertville — Seventh District Agricultural School1912
On Jackson Street at East McCord Avenue, on the right when traveling east on Jackson Street.
The Alabama Legislature passed an act in February of 1893 calling for the construction of agricultural schools to be built in each of Alabama’s congressional districts. The city of Albertville was chosen as the site for the seventh congressional . . . — Map (db m78709) HM
Alabama (Marshall County), Arab — First Arab High School
On 4th Avenue NW at 1st Street NW, on the left when traveling west on 4th Avenue NW.
In the early 1900s, students from Arab enrolled at Albertville High School because Arab didn’t have a high school. One group, called the “Brindlee Mountain Boys”, would travel to Guntersville by buggy and then by train to Albertville to . . . — Map (db m85850) HM
Alabama (Marshall County), Grant — Becker Hall
Near Cathedral Caverns Highway north of 1st Street West, on the left when traveling north.
Constructed in 1937, the Florence H. Becker Recreation Hall was named in honor of Florence Hague Becker, President General of the National Society Daughters of the American Revolution from 1935 to 1938. The vertically placed pine logs used in the . . . — Map (db m33312) HM
Alabama (Marshall County), Grant — Kate Duncan Smith - Daughters of the American Revolution School
On Cathedral Caverns Highway north of 1st Street West, on the left when traveling north.
(Side A) In 1924, the Alabama Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) established Kate Duncan Smith School to provide a patriotic education dedicated to academic achievement and service to "God, Home, and Country" for . . . — Map (db m33308) HM
Alabama (Marshall County), Grant — Pennsylvania Bell Tower
Built as a water tower in 1937 By her husband in honor of Mrs. Harper Donelson Sheppard Pennsylvania State Regent 1935-1938 And created a Bell Tower in 1973 Upon the installation of a Carillion By the Pennsylvania Daughters In honor . . . — Map (db m76232) HM
Alabama (Marshall County), Guntersville — Claysville Junior High School
On Claysville School Road 0.1 miles east of Florida Short Route (U.S. 431), on the right when traveling east.
Claysville School was born of community pride and the tireless labor of the people. Built on five acres bought for two dollars per acre from C. W. Baird, Sarah Baird, and H. D. Walls, Claysville School was completed on February 19, 1929. Led by . . . — Map (db m110731) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Barton Academy
On Government Street (U.S. 90) at South Lawrence Street, on the right when traveling west on Government Street.
Built 1835-1836. First public school in Alabama. Named for Rep. Willoughby Barton, author of Bill creating public schools of Mobile some 28 yrs. before State system. It was used as a hospital for Union soldiers in 1864. — Map (db m86387) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — 6 — Caldwell School
On North Broad Street at Congress Street, on the right when traveling south on North Broad Street.
Opened in 1887 as Broad Street Academy, this was the site of Mobile's first public high school for African Americans. The building was razed in 1947, and a new elementary school was constructed and named in recognition of William Caldwell, the first . . . — Map (db m111353) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Cathedral-Basilica of the Immaculate Conception / Archdiocese of Mobile
On South Claiborne Street at Dauphin Street, on the right when traveling south on South Claiborne Street.
Cathedral-Basilica of the Immaculate Conception Parish established in 1703 by John-Baptiste del la Croix, Bishop of Québec, while Mobile served as capital of Louisiana. Oldest religious congregation of any denomination in Alabama and the . . . — Map (db m117246) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — 17 — Dunbar/Central High School
On Dr Martin Luther King Jr Avenue east of Ryland Street, on the right when traveling east.
Dunbar School was built on this site in 1924. Dr. W.A. Caldwell was its first principal. In 1947, the Old Medical College on St. Anthony Street was remodeled and became Central High School. Dr. Benjamin Baker was named principal. In 1955, the . . . — Map (db m111386) HM

6465 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 6265
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.