Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Education Historical Markers

6465 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 201 through 401 are listed. Previous 200 Next 6065
 
Former location of the Emerson Institute. image, Touch for more information
By Mark Hilton, December 10, 2017
Former location of the Emerson Institute.
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Emerson Institute
On this site stood Emerson Institute, Mobile's first school for the formal education of African-Americans and one of the few 19th-century normal schools for African-Americans in Alabama. Founded 1865 by the Freedmen's Bureau, the school was run by . . . — Map (db m111289) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — 29 — Most Pure Heart of Mary Catholic Church
Organized in 1899 as St. Anthony's Mission by Creoles of African descent. By 1901, Josephite priests Revs. Joseph St. Laurent and Louis Pastorelli had established a small school. The present church was completed in 1908 and dedicated as Most Pure . . . — Map (db m111302) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — 35 — St. Louis Street Missionary Baptist Church
The church was organized in 1853 by ten African-Americans who were former members of Stone Street Baptist Church. It is the second oldest Missionary Baptist Church in Alabama. The first three pastors were Caucasian; however, following passage of the . . . — Map (db m86578) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — The Convent of Mercy
On this site in 1884 the Sisters of Mercy established the Convent of Mercy. In 1908 the front building, the convent, was constructed and in 1927 the adjacent school building was occupied by pupils attending Convent of Mercy Academy. The school . . . — Map (db m86584) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — 38 — Union Baptist Church / Founders of Union Baptist Church
Front Union Baptist Church Organized in 1869 as the Old Landmark Baptist Church by Rev. Henry McCrea and the following survivors of the slave ship, Clotilda: Pollee Allen, Rose Allen, Katie Cooper, Anna Keeby, Ossa Keeby, . . . — Map (db m86299) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — 39 — Vernon Z. Crawford Law Firm
Vernon Crawford established the first African-American law firm in Mobile. He successfully argued the Birdie Mae Davis case that desegregated Mobile schools. He stood before the Supreme Court and won the landmark case of Bolden vs. the City of . . . — Map (db m111319) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Vivian Malone JonesJuly 15, 1942 - October 13, 2005
Side 1 On May 30, 1965, Vivian Malone, became the first African-American to graduate from the University of Alabama. To achieve admission at the all-White university, she was forced to confront then Governor, George C. Wallace, in what has . . . — Map (db m111392) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — W.H. Council Traditional School
Council Traditional School was founded and opened in 1910. It is named in honor of William Hooper Councill, a former slave who was the founder of Alabama A&M University in Huntsville, Alabama. This building was erected in 1910 and underwent . . . — Map (db m86575) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Semmes — Semmes Heritage Park
. . . — Map (db m98419) HM
Alabama (Monroe County), Perdue Hill — Perdue Hill Industrial School
The Perdue Hill Industrial School was founded by Patrick J. Carmichael after he moved to this area in 1918. Carmichael acted as both the principal and teacher during the early years of the school, which was originally a one-room structure serving . . . — Map (db m47643) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Hope Hull — Tankersley Rosenwald SchoolErected in 1923
This building was one of fourteen schools constructed in Montgomery County with funding assistance from the Julius Rosenwald Fund. Between 1912-32, Julius Rosenwald, a Jewish philanthropist and CEO of Sears, Roebuck and Company teamed up with Booker . . . — Map (db m71427) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — Air University / Maxwell Air Force Base
(Side A) Air University The Air Corps Tactical School moved to Maxwell in 1931. Brilliant young officers like Chennault, Eaker, Fairchild, Hansell, Kuter, LeMay, Quesada, and Vandenberg formulated the aerial strategies and tactics . . . — Map (db m64437) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — AU "Thinks War"
Post-Vietnam Era marked a turning point for AU. Lt Gen Furlong, AU commander, launched a three year campaign to overhaul the curriculum which became known as “Putting the ‘War’ back into War College.” Between 1975 and 1976 AU gained . . . — Map (db m64375) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — British and Commonwealth Pilots Trained in the U.S.A.
In 1941, before Pearl Harbour, President Franklin D. Roosevelt agreed with Prime Minister Winston S. Churchill, to provide flight training for British and Commonwealth pilots in the U.S.A. by the U.S. Army Air Corps. Over 4,000 pilots were . . . — Map (db m64476) HM WM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — Cessna T-41A "Mescalero"
The Cessna T-41 was derived from a standard Cessna Model 172 light aviation aircraft. Between 1965 and 1969 the USAF purchased 211 T-41A variants "off the shelf" for the preliminary flight screening of pilot candidates; another 52 T-41C variants . . . — Map (db m64482) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — Changing Roles of AU
Charged with developing doctrines and concepts for the employment of air power, AU produced the first basic doctrine manuals for the Air Force. AU also gained notoriety with projects such as Corona Harvest, which studied and developed . . . — Map (db m64374) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — Chennault Circle
To accommodate expansion of programs, a five million dollar construction project began in 1954 to give AU a modern, integrated academic center with a collegiate atmosphere and facilities in keeping with its educational mission. We’re . . . — Map (db m64372) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — Establishment of Air University 1946
The Army Air Forces school was assigned its first commander, Major General Muir S. Fairchild, in February 1946, and renamed Air University in March. The dedication ceremony occurred 3 Sep 1946. The first classes at the Air War College and the . . . — Map (db m64370) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — Expansion of Air University
During the early 1950’s, Air Force leaders decided to consolidate and relocate professional military and continuing education activities, as well as commissioning and specialized schools to Maxwell and Gunter Air Force Bases. ”(Air . . . — Map (db m64371) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — Joint Programs
Air University began new Air War College and Air Command and Staff College programs in 1987 which met newly mandated “Joint” education requirements. These programs emphasized joint war fighting. ”The basic reason for the . . . — Map (db m64378) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — Lister Hill CenterNamed in honor of Senator Lister Hill — 1894-1984
This facility is dedicated to the memory of Senator Lister Hill who faithfully served his state and the nation for forty-five years as a member of the House of Representatives and the United States Senate. An Infantry Officer during World War I, . . . — Map (db m79082) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — Lt. William C. Maxwell / Air Force ROTC
Lt. William C. Maxwell (Side A) William Calvin Maxwell was born Nov. 9, 1892 in Natchez, Ala. An Army ROTC student at the University of Alabama, he left in 1917 to enlist in the Army. He received his commission in April 1918, after . . . — Map (db m64367) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — Northrop T-38A "Talon"
In the mid-1950s, the USAF required a trainer with higher performance than the T-33 to better prepare student pilots for the latest tactical aircraft that were then coming into service. The aircraft chosen was the T-38A which offered high . . . — Map (db m64433) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — Reorganization
During the late 1950’s three courses at Air Command and Staff College: the Weapons course, the Squadron Officer course, and the Academic Instructor course, became separate schools under the AU umbrella. ”…It is regrettable that what . . . — Map (db m64373) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — Reorganization
HQ USAF realigned AU under Air Training Command (ATC) in 1978. For five years AU remained a part of ATC. On 1 July 1983, AU regained its major command status. ROTC was reassigned to ATC. The College of Aerospace Doctrine, Research and Education, . . . — Map (db m64376) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — The Air Power Legacy
In 1931 Maxwell Field began its mission to educate Army Air Corps officers in strategy, tactics, and techniques of air power. Many early Air Force leaders attended Air Corps Tactical School here including Generals Vandenberg, Twining, White, and . . . — Map (db m64369) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — The Next Fifty Years
The tradition of excellence established by Air University pioneers will continue throughout the next fifty years… AU’s ability to educate people and develop critical thinkers is a mission that continues today. Now, more than ever, the United . . . — Map (db m64427) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — The ThunderbirdsThe Epitome of Teamwork
All discipline for the moment seems not to be joyful, but sorrowful, yet, for those who are trained by it, afterwards, it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness. Hebrews 4:11 Maj. Norman L. Lowry III Capt. Willie T. Mays Capt. . . . — Map (db m64484) WM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — Year of Training
Deja vu, once again, 1993, AU was aligned with ATC but this time to form Air Education and Training Command. Enlisted professional military education was consolidated, Officers Training School moved to Maxwell, and ROTC and CCAF were again part . . . — Map (db m86055) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Alabama State University / Tatum Street
Side 1 Alabama State University The Early Years Founded in 1867, the Lincoln School in Marion, Alabama became the first state-assisted normal school for African Americans in 1874. The school prospered in that location for 13 . . . — Map (db m71345) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Alabama State University / Tullibody
Side A Founded 1866 as the Abraham Lincoln Normal School in Marion, Alabama by nine former slaves. Operated from 1868 until 1874 by the American Missionary Association. The school began to receive state funding in 1874, making it the first . . . — Map (db m86061) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Beulah Baptist ChurchOrganized 1880
Beulah Baptist Church was organized in the home of Monday and Dora Duvall, on the corner of Hull and Winnie Streets. Rev. William (Billy) Jenkins served as the pastor when the first church building was erected on Norton Street. Beulah served as the . . . — Map (db m71377) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Birth of Montgomery Bus BoycottBoycott planned & publicized here at ASU's Councill Hall
Side 1 On Dec. 1, 1955, at Alabama State College (now Alabama State University) in a basement room in Councill Hall, the Montgomery Bus Boycott was planned and publicized after the arrest that day of Rosa Parks, who refused to give up . . . — Map (db m91279) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Capitol Heights Elementary School
While Capitol Heights was a new town, city leaders, including founder and first mayor J. S. Pinckard, donated land for an elementary school. The community partnered with the Montgomery County Board of Education to build the Capitol Heights . . . — Map (db m81810) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Centennial Hill
This neighborhood evolved around historic First Congregational Church established through the American Missionary Association (AMA) October 6, 1872, by Pastor George Whitfield Andrews. In 1867 the AMA and the Freedmen's Bureau, headed by General . . . — Map (db m86067) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Civil War - Barnes School / Figh-Pickett House
(side 1) Civil War-Barnes School In April 1865, the Union Army command made this house its headquarters. Mrs. Pickett hid her silver on an inside ledge of the cupola. Later, former Confederate Generals Hood, Bragg, and Walker . . . — Map (db m86072) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Elijah Cook / City of Montgomery v. Rosa Parks
Elijah Cook Educator, Businessman, Lawmaker Born a slave in Wetumpka in 1833, Elijah Cook became a leader in Montgomery’s African American community. Credited with helping to establish the city’s first school for blacks in the basement . . . — Map (db m69222) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Governor Jones House
Thomas Goode Jones, governor of Alabama from 1890-1894, occupied this house during his long political career which took him from the Montgomery City Council to a federal judgeship. During his two terms as governor, his home was the Executive Mansion . . . — Map (db m36585) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Huntingdon College
Coeducational liberal arts college of the United Methodist Church 1854: Founded as Tuskegee Female College 1872: Acquired by the Methodist Church, renamed Alabama Conference Female College 1909: Moved to this site as Woman's College . . . — Map (db m86122) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Johnnie R. and Arlam Carr, Sr. Home
This home was originally owned in 1901 by Emily V. Semple. It changed hands several times until purchased by Flora K. Daniels and Arlam and Johnnie R. Carr, Sr. The Carrs moved into this residence in 1943. They resided here during the 1955 . . . — Map (db m71265) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Loveless School/Henry Allen Loveless
(side 1) Loveless School Montgomery's first junior and senior high schools for African American students began in Loveless School. Built in 1923 and enlarged in 1930, this building first housed seven grades; the opening of Carver . . . — Map (db m71082) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Marshall J. Moore House
In 1900, Marshall Moore and his wife, Agnes V. McClain commissioned Joseph G. Nesbitt, Sr., an African-American contractor/builder, to construct this Victorian period cottage. The Moores, among the first graduates and early faculty members of . . . — Map (db m86130) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Montgomery County Circuit Court / Sit-Ins and Marches at the Montgomery County Courthouse
Montgomery County Circuit Court Site of Major Civil Rights Cases 1956-1960 In 1956, 89 persons were indicted for violating an anti-boycott law; Rosa Parks' conviction was appealed; the Montgomery Improvement Association car . . . — Map (db m94925) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Old Ship A.M.E. Zion Church
This congregation was organized by the Court Street Methodist Church in the early 1850s. The latter group offered their 1835 wood frame building to the black members if they would relocate it. In 1852 the church was moved to this site under the . . . — Map (db m72170) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Professor John Metcalfe Starke / Starke University School
Side A Professor John Metcalfe Starke "Fessor Starke" 1860-1941A native of Virginia, John Metcalfe Starke received his early education in Petersburg and graduated from the University of Virginia in 1882, earning diplomas in Latin and . . . — Map (db m86421) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Sidney Lanier High School
Established in 1910 on South McDonough Street, this school was named for the well-known southern poet, Sidney Lanier, who resided in Montgomery 1866-67. This late Gothic Revival building was constructed 1928-29 to consolidate the original . . . — Map (db m86424) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Swayne College / Booker T. Washington School
Side A Named for Union General and Freemen’s Bureau Agent Wager Swayne, Swayne College was dedicated 21 April 1869. The Bureau appropriated $10,000 for the building and the local black community purchased 3.5 acres for the site. Future . . . — Map (db m28171) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Pike Road — Georgia Washington School
Miss Georgia Washington founded the Peoples Village School for black students on this site in 1893. Georgia Washington was born a slave November 23, 1851 in Virginia. As a student at Hampton Institute, Virginia, she met Dr. Booker T. Washington who . . . — Map (db m72010) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Pike Road — Pike Road School
Montgomery County's first school to consolidate rural, one-room school houses into grades one through twelve opened November 11, 1918. The school was built by the Montgomery County Board of Education on 30 acres of land at a cost of $40,000 with . . . — Map (db m72017) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Pintlala — Pintlala Grange Hall / Grange Hall School
(Side 1) Pintlala Grange Hall The National Grange of the Patrons of Husbandry was organized in 1867 to provide economic, social and cultural improvements for farmers and their families. Pintlala's Grange Hall was erected circa . . . — Map (db m71433) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Pintlala — Pintlala School
Opened in 1923 to consolidate a number of one-, two-, and three-teacher institutions in southwestern Montgomery County including Hope Hull, LeGrand, Mt. Carmel, Grange Hall, Snowdoun, Bethlehem, Fleta, Sankey, and Tabernacle. W.F. Feagin served as . . . — Map (db m71432) HM
Alabama (Morgan County), Decatur — Schaudies - Banks Cottage
During the 1870s, Samuel Schaudies and Abbie Robinson Schaudies moved to this site from Huntsville and purchased this five-room cottage in 1881 for $800.00. The deed lists this site as part of Lot 84, “Old Town” Decatur. In 1875, their . . . — Map (db m27763) HM
Alabama (Perry County), Marion — Judson College
Founded 1838 Milo P. Jewett, President Deeded in 1843 to The Alabama Baptist Convention One of the nation's first colleges to offer higher education for women, it has served, since its founding, as a liberal and fine arts . . . — Map (db m70071) HM
Alabama (Perry County), Marion — Lincoln Normal School
Side 1: On July 17, 1867, nine ex-slaves (James Childs, Alexander H. Curtis, Nicholas Dale, John Freeman, David Harris, Thomas Lee, Nathan Levert, Ivey Pharish and Thomas Speed) formed and incorporated the “Lincoln School of . . . — Map (db m70096) HM
Alabama (Perry County), Marion — Marion
County Seat of Perry County Population 4457 Founded by Anderson West in 1822 Home of Judson College and Marion Military Institute Friendly People Welcome You. — Map (db m116895) HM
Alabama (Perry County), Marion — Marion Military Institute
Founded in 1842 as Howard English & Classical School by the Alabama Baptist Convention, with Dr. S. S. Sherman as President, it later became Howard College. Lovelace Hall (Old South Barracks), built 1854, and the Chapel, built 1857, served the . . . — Map (db m70091) HM
Alabama (Perry County), Marion — The Marion Female Seminary
One of the earliest colleges for women in America. Founded in 1835, was the first of four colleges established in Marion,“The Athens of Alabama.” This building, erected in 1850, contained the art studio of Nicola Marschall, who . . . — Map (db m70068) HM
Alabama (Pickens County), Aliceville — R. J. Kirksey High School1958–1971
Summerville Industrial High School, the first high school for African Americans in the southern part of Pickens County, was moved to this site in 1958, becoming Robert Jackson Kirksey High School. The new name honored a long-term member of the . . . — Map (db m92647) HM
Alabama (Pike County), Goshen — Rodgers School
Built ca. 1860 on land owned by Daniel Carlisle, this school educated Pike County youths until consolidation closed its doors in 1935. In 1895 it was conveyed to trustees for the school by Robert Henry Lee Rodgers for a school. Between 1923 and . . . — Map (db m92684) HM
Alabama (Pike County), Orion — Orion Institute
Founded 1848 by legislative act and donations of citizens. Excellent instruction made it only school of kind for youth in area. Later used as public school until 1929 school consolidation. Orion settled about 1815, by 1830 saw arrival of . . . — Map (db m71791) HM
Alabama (Pike County), Troy — “The Thinker”
Donated to Troy University by Huo Bao Zhu During the visit of Chancellor Jack Hawkins, Jr. to Xian, China in April 2002. The gift was made in celebration of the Sino-American 1-2-1 Joint Degree Program and as a lasting symbol of friendship between . . . — Map (db m38930) HM
Alabama (Pike County), Troy — Academy Street High School
Side 1 On May 9, 1921, S.B. Innis, C.L. Jenkins, James Henderson, Pres Thomas and C.B. Brooks, the “colored school committee,” entered into a school mortgage for the construction of a building for “colored school . . . — Map (db m76755) HM
Alabama (Pike County), Troy — Bibb Graves Hall
Built in 1929, Bibb Graves Hall opened in September, 1930. It was named for Alabama Governor Bibb Graves (1927-31, 1935-39) who was known as the “education governor.” Bibb Graves Hall served as the original administration building for . . . — Map (db m38940) HM
Alabama (Pike County), Troy — Chancellor's Residence
Built in 1961 and renovated in 1989, the Chancellor's residence is the "front door" to the University. It has served as the entertainment site for international, national, state and local leaders, including ambassadors, U.S. Senators, governors, . . . — Map (db m111582) HM
Alabama (Pike County), Troy — Cowart Hall
Named for Fletcher Thomas Cowart, a Troy University professor of natural science from 1890 to 1919. Cowart Hall was constructed in 1950. Originally a men’s dormitory, it was later used to house junior and senior women students. The structure was . . . — Map (db m38933) HM
Alabama (Pike County), Troy — Cowart HallRenovated 1993
Born in Henderson, Alabama in 1850, Fletcher Jackson Cowart began his working career as a public school teacher. He later served superintendencies for both the Pike County and the Troy City schools. He was editor of the Troy Messenger and a . . . — Map (db m38934) HM
Alabama (Pike County), Troy — Green Davis Tailgate Terrace
“Tailgating" on the Troy campus was initiated during the 1990’s through the example and leadership of Green Davis. In 1993 the area outside of Memorial Stadium was named in honor of Green Davis for his enduring efforts to boost Trojan . . . — Map (db m38929) HM
Alabama (Pike County), Troy — Janice Hawkins Park"An excellent wife is the crown of her husband."Proverbs 12:4
Janice Hawkins Park was named in honor of the First Lady of Troy University, a devoted wife and loving mother, whose work benefited Troy in the fine arts, service to students, internationalization of the University, and support of military veterans. . . . — Map (db m111581) HM
Alabama (Pike County), Troy — McCall Hall
The original structure was named for Charles Roderick McCall, Professor of Languages at Troy Normal School from 1890 to 1898. It was constructed in 1960-1961 to house the various sciences. In 1999, the structure was renovated and enlarged to house . . . — Map (db m38938) HM
Alabama (Pike County), Troy — Pace Hall
Built in 1946 as a men’s dorm. Named for Matthew Downer Pace, who served Troy University from 1891 to 1941 as Professor of Mathematics, Dean and President. The building was made necessary by the heavy influx of male students enrolling immediately . . . — Map (db m38931) HM
Alabama (Pike County), Troy — Riddle-Pace Field
Originally constructed as the home field for the university’s football and baseball teams. Pace Field, home of the Troy Trojans and the Troy baseball team in the late 1930s and 1940s, stood at the location of the current Riddle - Pace Field. It is . . . — Map (db m38935) HM
Alabama (Pike County), Troy — Shackelford Hall
Built during 1929, Shackelford Hall opened to students in September 1930. It was named for the institution’s president Edward Madison Shackelford, who served from 1899 to 1936. Adjoining this building was the original dining facility for the campus. . . . — Map (db m38932) HM
Alabama (Pike County), Troy — Troy University
Troy State Normal School was established by the Alabama General Assembly in 1887. Land and the first building for the original downtown campus and land for the present site were provided by the City of Troy. The College was moved to the present site . . . — Map (db m38937) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Fort Mitchell — Asbury School and Mission1 Mile North of Ft. Mitchell
In September 1821 Rev. William Capers was sent to Fort Mitchell, by the South Carolina Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, to negotiate with the chiefs of the Creek Indian Nations for a mission which would teach their children reading, . . . — Map (db m26121) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Glennville — Glennville
(Front): One of the earliest white settlements in the Old Creek Indian Nation. James Elizabeth Glenn, who named the town, and his brother Thompson Glenn, arrived here in 1835 only to have to evacuate during the Indian uprisings of 1836, at . . . — Map (db m37451) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Phenix City — Albert Love PattersonJanuary 27, 1891 - June 18, 1954
(side 1) Born at New Site, Alabama, he grew up working on his parents’ farm. In 1916 he worked in the oil fields in Texas and joined the Texas National Guard. He married Agnes Benson of Alabama in 1917. In 1918 he was commissioned an . . . — Map (db m69114) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Pittsview — Villula
Originally known as Vilula, this community was formed about 1848 as a stage coach stop. For many years the only post office in the central part of the county was located here. William A. Lester served as the first postmaster. The Villula . . . — Map (db m78114) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Seale — Macedonia Missionary Baptist Church /Macedonia School
Macedonia Missionary Baptist Church Macedonia Baptist Church was organized in 1870 by Pastor Robert Fegins with the assistance of twelve members from Providence Baptist Church. The first person baptized in the church was Mr. Charles Smith . . . — Map (db m78113) HM
Alabama (Saint Clair County), Ashville — The Dean / Inzer HouseHome of Lt. Col. / Judge John Washington Inzer
Greek revival antebellum home built by Moses Dean in 1852, acquired by John W. Inzer in 1866. Home occupied by Inzer family from 1866 to 1987. In July 1987 home and its contents, including extensive law library, deeded by family heirs to St. Clair . . . — Map (db m28092) HM
Alabama (Shelby County), Calera — James Daniel HardyMay 14, 1918 – February 19, 2003
Side 1 James Hardy and his twin brother, Julian, were born and reared in Newala, Alabama, 3 miles east of Montevallo. He attended the consolidated grammar school nearby which had 3 rooms for the 6 grades, then attended high school in . . . — Map (db m76244) HM
Alabama (Shelby County), Montevallo — Alabama Historical Association
Founded in 1947 at Alabama College. Erected at tenth annual meeting held there in 1957. — Map (db m79205) HM
Alabama (Shelby County), Montevallo — Montevallo High School
Known as the Alabama College Laboratory School, Montevallo High School was housed in Reynolds’ Hall on the University of Montevallo campus from 1922 until January 1930 when the central portion of this building was completed. The original structure . . . — Map (db m37428) HM
Alabama (Shelby County), Montevallo — University Of Montevallo National Historic District
Originally named Alabama Girls' Industrial School and later Alabama College, this institution was founded Oct. 12, 1896, by the Alabama Legislature. It was the state college for women until 1956, when it became coeducational. In 1969 the name was . . . — Map (db m37289) HM
Alabama (Sumter County), Livingston — Livingston State College
Chartered in 1840 as Livingston Collegiate Institute (1835: Female Presbyterian Academy planned). In 1883, by work of Julia Tutwiler, Alabama legislature made its first grant of funds to a girls school. In 1907: State Normal school. In 1929: became . . . — Map (db m109526) HM
Alabama (Talladega County), Talladega — Auburn University And Birmingham-Southern College Began In Talladega, 1854
By action of the Alabama Conference of The Methodist Episcopal Church, South in session at Talladega, December 13-18, 1854, Auburn University and Birmingham - Southern College were born. The delegation resolved to “have a college within the . . . — Map (db m28202) HM
Alabama (Talladega County), Talladega — Presbyterian Home For ChildrenSynod Of Alabama — Presbyterian Church In The United States
Originally conceived 1864 as a home for children of Confederate dead by Synod in session at Selma. Opened at Tuskegee 1868 - relocated in Talladega 1891. A haven for dependent youth of Alabama providing training, education, and worship in a . . . — Map (db m28206) HM
Alabama (Tallapoosa County), Camp Hill — Edward Bell High School/Alma Mater
(side 1) Edward Bell High School On this site Tallapoosa County Training School, later named Edward Bell High School, became the first high school for African Americans in Tallapoosa County, Alabama in 1931, with graduation of its . . . — Map (db m92505) HM
Alabama (Tallapoosa County), Camp Hill — Lyman Ward Military Academy
Lyman Ward Military Academy was founded in 1898 as the Southern Industrial Institute by Dr. Lyman Ward, a Universalist minister from New York. Dr. Ward established SII to educate the poor children of Alabama, many of whom had few opportunities due . . . — Map (db m25501) HM
Alabama (Tallapoosa County), Daviston — Daviston, Alabama/Daviston School
(side 1) Daviston, Alabama Daviston, incorporated February 16, 1887, is believed to be the first incorporated rural town in Tallapoosa County. The first mayor was J.D. Dunn. Daviston was a natural evolution of the opening of Indian . . . — Map (db m92502) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), McCalla — Cane Creek School1923
Successor to the first school built in Jefferson County in 1815, this building - of 1923 origins - served the residents of the Beltona Area until 1960. Purchased in 1963 by the Cane Creek Community Club, it was subsequently donated to Tannerhill . . . — Map (db m107503) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), McCalla — Fowler House 
Built near West Blocton, Al in 1860 by Winston Stewart, a local contractor. Mr. and Mrs. Fowler occupied the house from 1928 until their death. Restored as a country School to be a part of the Learning Center in 1978...   Donated by the . . . — Map (db m107995) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Alabama Central Female College
After the seat of government was moved to Montgomery in 1847, the Tuscaloosa Capitol and its furnishings were deeded to the University of Alabama to be used for educational purposes. In 1857, the University Board of Trustees leased the building . . . — Map (db m29064) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Alpha Delta PiOrganized May 15, 1851 — ETA Chapter March 21, 1907
Alpha Delta Pi, the first college secret sisterhood, was organized at Wesleyan Female College, Macon, Georgia, the first women's college to grant academic degrees. Originally identified as Adelpheans, the group had three thousand alumnae and sixty . . . — Map (db m28783) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Amelia Gayle Gorgas1826-1913
Daughter of John Gayle, Governor of Alabama. Wife of Josiah Gorgas, Brigadier General, C. S. A. Mother of William Crawford Gorgas, Surgeon General, U. S. A. Untiring nurse in Confederate Hospitals, 1861-1865. First Historian Alabama Division, . . . — Map (db m33653) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Autherine Lucy Foster
First African American to enroll at the University of Alabama following successful litigation under the historic 1954 Brown v. Board of Education ruling. She began classes on February 3, 1956; however, after three days of tumultuous demonstrations, . . . — Map (db m108342) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — B.B. Comer Hall, 1908
Named for Braxton Bragg Comer (1848-1927), Governor of Alabama (1907-1911). As a member of the University's Corp of Cadets in 1865, Comer witnessed the burning of the campus by Federal troops. Later, as Governor, he strongly supported education . . . — Map (db m29121) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Castle Hill - Daly Bottom Community
In 1883 the Castle Hill Real Estate and Manufacturing Company began the first eastern expansion of the original 1821 Tuscaloosa city limits. Hoping to stimulate development in the area, the company created a popular amusement park centered around . . . — Map (db m35467) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Christ Episcopal ChurchOrganized January 7, 1828
The second oldest Episcopal Church in Alabama. Construction begun 1829, completed 1830 at cost of $1700. Enlarged and remodeled in 1880 from original Greek Revival design to present Gothic lines. First pews sold to highest bidder; made free in 1849. . . . — Map (db m40419) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Delta Kappa Epsilon
marker Front: Psi Chapter of Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternity first Greek letter fraternity at The University of Alabama. Organized by Louis J. DuPre, chapter installed June 20, 1847. First members initiated at Indian Queen Hotel by Charles . . . — Map (db m30676) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Denny Chimes
Marker Front: This bell tower, an enduring symbol of Alabama's first university, was erected in honor of President George H. Denny, under whose leadership (1911 to 1936) The University of Alabama gained national prominence. Conceived by . . . — Map (db m29610) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Druid City Hospital School Of Nursing
Constructed in 1923 through gift of J. T. Horne, this building occupied by Druid City Hospital School of Nursing from 1923 to 1947. Used by University of Alabama from 1951 to 1954 to house first state supported collegiate school of nursing in . . . — Map (db m29608) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — First Presbyterian ChurchTuscaloosa
Organized 1820. Moved to this site 1830. Present structure erected 1921. Under the leadership of Dr. Charles A. Stillman, (Minister, 1869-1895) it sponsored the founding of Stillman College in 1876. Its bell was the subject of a poem by . . . — Map (db m35364) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Gabriel MooreGovernor 1829 - 1831
During his term our state moved from frontier to urbanity. The University of Alabama was officially opened. Construction was begun on our first canals and railroads, supplementing existing steamboats and unpaved roads. The Choctaws exchanged their . . . — Map (db m29023) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Gorgas House
Built 1829 as University dining hall. Remodeled as a residence 1840. Occupied by Gorgas family 1879-1953 (Reverse): Preserved as a memorial to: General Josiah Gorgas (1818-1883) Chief of Ordnance, C. S. A. 1861-1865 . . . — Map (db m29301) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Kappa Delta
Zeta Chapter of Kappa Delta first national Greek letter sorority at the University of Alabama Chapter installed March 12, 1904. First members initiated in the Sigma Nu Hall by Katherine Lovejoy of Theta Chapter at Randolph-Macon Woman's College. . . . — Map (db m28782) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Malone Hood Plaza
The Autherine Lucy Clock Tower is dedicated to the sacrifice and commitment of a courageous individual who took a stand for change at a crucial time in the history of The University of Alabama. The open arches, which mirror the architecture of . . . — Map (db m37918) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Maxwell Hall
Here, on the highest point of the original campus, stands the first celestial observatory at The University of Alabama and one of the oldest observatory buildings in the United States. Through the efforts of Professor F. A. P. Barnard, the first . . . — Map (db m34842) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Morgan Hall, 1910
Named for John Tyler Morgan (1824-1907). As U.S. Senator, Morgan led the 1882 campaign to obtain federal funds in reparation for the destruction of the University of Alabama campus by Union Troops in 1865. A member of the Alabama Secession . . . — Map (db m29223) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Oliver-Barnard HallCollege of Arts and Sciences
Erected: 1889 Reconstructed: 2000 Named for professor, scientist, and photographer F.A.P. Barnard who pioneered the study of astronomy at The University of Alabama and established its chapter of Phi Beta Kappa in 1851. On August 26, 2000, . . . — Map (db m29402) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Rotunda Plaza
The Rotunda Plaza is dedicated to John H. and Carolyn Cobb Josey (Classes of 1950 and 1951, respectively) In recognition of the establishment in 1992 of the John H. and Carolyn Cobb Josey Library Endowment Fund, ensuring continued . . . — Map (db m30678) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Sigma Alpha Epsilon
Founded in Tuscaloosa on the campus of the University of Alabama on March 9, 1856. Its chapter designation, Alabama Mu, identifies it as the mother chapter of the national collegiate fraternity. Founding Members: Noble Leslie DeVotie • Nathan . . . — Map (db m29607) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Site Of Franklin Hall(The Mound)
Franklin Hall, an early University dormitory designed by Capt. William Nichols, was erected on this site in 1835. Was one of the buildings destroyed by the Union raid on April 4, 1865. After Civil War the remains of structure were shaped into . . . — Map (db m30677) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Site Of The Stand In The Schoolhouse Door / Foster Auditorium, 1939
Foster Auditorium is the site of the June 11, 1963, “stand in the schoolhouse door” by Governor George C. Wallace in defiance of a court order requiring The University of Alabama to admit African-American students Vivian Malone and James . . . — Map (db m37917) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Smith Hall, 1908
Named for Eugene Allen Smith (1841-1927), University Professor and State Geologist, who served the State in this dual capacity for fifty-four years. Smith rebuilt the collections of the Alabama Museum of Natural History, which had been . . . — Map (db m29403) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Stillman College
Founded as Tuscaloosa Institute 1876 by Presbyterian Church U.S. under leadership of Dr. Charles Allen Stillman, pastor of First Presbyterian Church, Tuscaloosa, to train Black ministers. Renamed Stillman Institute 1894 for Dr. Stillman, first . . . — Map (db m35676) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — The Architect
The Capitol in Tuscaloosa was designed by English-born architect, William Nichols, who served as State Architect from 1826 - 1832. Nichols also designed and built the campus of The University of Alabama. Before coming to Alabama he had . . . — Map (db m29117) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — The Gorgas-Manly Historic District
includes The Gorgas House (1829) First structure built on the original campus The Round House (1860) Used by cadets on guard duty, and another of the four buildings to survive the fires set by Federal troops in 1865. Woods Hall . . . — Map (db m29396) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — The Little Round House
Constructed as a guard house for the Alabama Corps of Cadets during the early 1860's, the Little Round House provided shelter from inclement weather for cadets on sentry duty. Until 1865, it also housed the University Drum Corps, which was composed . . . — Map (db m25387) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — The President's Mansion
In 1838 The University of Alabama Board of Trustees appropriated funds for a more suitable residence for the University's new president Basil Manly. The mansion on this site was built between 1839 and 1841 from plans provided by Michael Barry who . . . — Map (db m25414) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — The University of Alabama School of Law
Founded in 1872 as the first law school in Alabama. Henderson M. Somerville was the first professor and later an Alabama Supreme Court Justice. The first dean was William L. Thorington (1897-1908). The school occupied, in turn, parts of Woods, . . . — Map (db m35471) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Tuomey HallCollege of Arts and Sciences
Erected: 1888 Reconstructed: 2002 Designed by Montgomery architect W. A. Crossland and named for noted professor and state geologist Michael Tuomey. Tuomey's survey resulted in the landmark 1849 geological map of Alabama and his work began . . . — Map (db m29400) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — University Club
Built 1834 by James Dearing. Purchased by Arthur P. Bagby who occupied the house 1837-41 while Governor of Alabama and since known as the Governor's Mansion. Presented to the University of Alabama 1944 by Herbert David Warner and Mildred Westervelt . . . — Map (db m29120) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — University of Alabama
Endowed by Congress 1819 Ordained by State constitution 1819 And established by General Assembly 1820 Instruction Begun 1831 Unofficial Training School Confederate Officers 1861-65 Destroyed by Federal Army April 4, 1865, Rebuilding Begun . . . — Map (db m29612) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — University of Alabama Civil War Memorial1861 - 1865
The University of Alabama gave to the Confederacy - 7 General Officers, 25 Colonels, 14 Lieutenant - Colonels, 21 Majors, 125 Captains, 273 Staff and other commissioned officers, 66 Non-Commissioned Officers and 294 Private Soldiers. Recognizing . . . — Map (db m33654) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — University of Alabama’s Slavery Apology
Buried near this plaque are Jack Rudolph and William “Boysey” Brown, two slaves owned by University of Alabama faculty, and William J. Crawford, a University student who died in 1844. Rudolph was born in Africa about 1791 and died . . . — Map (db m40389) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Woods Hall, 1868
Named for Alva Woods (1794-1887), First President of the University of Alabama, 1831-1837. Constructed after the Civil War, this gothic revival structure was built of materials salvaged from the original campus, burned by Federal Troops in . . . — Map (db m29221) HM
Alabama (Wilcox County), Camden — Wilcox Female Institute
Incorporated 1850 by James A. Tait, L. W. Mason, Joseph George and Associates Original Trustees: Col. J. C. Jones, Joseph George, Maj. M. M. Bonham, D. W. Sterrett, Col. C. C. Sellers, Dr. M. Reid, J. W. Bridges, Dr. Robert Irvin, and Maj. F. . . . — Map (db m68156) HM
Alabama (Wilcox County), Catherine — Prairie MissionA United Presbyterian Mission — Prairie, Alabama 1894-1968
Prairie Mission was established in 1894 by the Freedmen’s Board of the United Presbyterian Church of North America to educate the children of ex-slaves. The Mission consisted of a church, school building, dormitories for male and female students, a . . . — Map (db m38496) HM
Alabama (Wilcox County), Pine Apple — Moore Academy"A Great Adventure of the Mind"
Founded in 1882 by John Trotwood Moore, who became a famous author, archeologist, and poet laureate of the State of Tennessee, the original two-story wood frame building served the Pine Apple area from 1882 until the present brick structure was . . . — Map (db m47705) HM
Alabama (Wilcox County), Snow Hill — Snow Hill Normal and Industrial Institute1893
(obverse) Snow Hill Institute was founded in 1893 by William James Edwards, a graduate of historic Tuskegee Institute established by Booker T. Washington in 1881. Snow Hill’s lineage extends back to Hampton Institute where Washington . . . — Map (db m68185) HM
Alabama (Winston County), Arley — Bethel SchoolFirst Known School In The Greater Arley Community
The Community’s first four settlers homesteaded land near this site in 1832. The little log schoolhouse, just 18 feet square, was built in 1874. The land, given by L. F. Hembree, is now the site of Bethel Cemetery. With no heat, a dirt floor, and . . . — Map (db m42861) HM
Alabama (Winston County), Arley — Nathan, AlabamaOld Country Town
Post office established May 9, 1908. Named for the first postmaster, Nathan B. Langley, who was succeeded by Robert C. Walker and David H. Hamner. Post office discontinued June 30, 1915; housed in a general store operated on this site by Warren . . . — Map (db m42860) HM
Alabama (Winston County), Arley — Old Arley SchoolReadin’, ‘Ritin’ & ‘Rithmetic
Only two-room schoolhouse for miles around. Built in 1903, “The Big Room” was a two-story building with the Masons using the upper story. “The Little Room” was a later addition. The basic studies were the three R’s and The . . . — Map (db m42856) HM
Alabama (Winston County), Arley — Piney Ridge SchoolPioneer School Site
Originally known as Dismal School. Built of pine logs in 1900 on 1½ acres of land given by Zeb Humphreys, the building was about 20 feet square. Seats were rough board benches without backs. Students gathered pine knots to burn in the heating . . . — Map (db m42862) HM
Alaska (Fairbanks North Star Borough), Fairbanks — Fairbanks Public Schools
In the winter of 1904, the first Fairbanks Public School was opened. Ten students finished the spring term. In the fall of 1905, the school enrolled 50 students. The next year, 150 students attended. Construction of a much-needed new school on the . . . — Map (db m47407) HM
Arizona (Apache County), Eagar — 9 — Amity School
This stone chimney is all that remains of a one room country school house that served pioneer Amity pop. 119 from the early 1880's until closing in April 1930. The Amity Cemetery & Amity Ditch are the only other remains of this early Mormon . . . — Map (db m36614) HM
Arizona (Apache County), Eagar — 13 — Eagar Elementary School
After the original frame school house burned in 1930, this building served Eagar's children for 53 years. Mothers prepared hot lunch across the street creating Eagar's own depression era "soup lines" at 5 cents a cup for the children. — Map (db m36628) HM
Arizona (Apache County), Springerville — 26 — Springerville Schoolhouse1884-1983
This bronze school bell summoned children until 1950. This 2 room adobe with high pitched roof & bell tower was added onto with brick, altering the entry & roof in 1927 & again in 1950. The school served the community 99 years. — Map (db m36653) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Hereford — Lehner Mammoth Kill Site
At this location in 1952, a large bone bed was discovered containing the remains of extinct mammoth, tapir, bison and horse. Found with the bones were the weapons and tools of the Indians who had killed and butchered these animals. The bones and . . . — Map (db m43633) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Sierra Vista — Carmichael Elementary School
Constructed in 1956, the William Carmichael Elementary School was the first school to be built in the new Sierra Vista School District. The school first opened its doors on September 5, 1956, with 16 classrooms for 500 children in grades . . . — Map (db m83848) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Grand Canyon National Park — Albright Training Center History
The Horace M. Albright Training Center is a National Park Service facility for employee development. Established in 1963 and named for the National Park Service's second director, the training center serves as an educational program center for . . . — Map (db m39602) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Grand Canyon National Park — Mission 66
Responding to mounting political and public pressure, Congress authorized a ten-year program in 1955 to regenerate and modernize the national parks dubbed "Mission 66" for the target date of 1966, the National Park Service's 50th anniversary. The . . . — Map (db m39587) HM
Arizona (Gila County), Miami — Bullion Plaza School
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior Bullion Plaza School 1923 — Map (db m67493) HM
Arizona (Gila County), Pine — The Pine Community Center Historic District
The Pine Community Center Historic District is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The historic buildings of the district are the LDS (Latter Day Saints/Mormon) Ward Chapel, built in 1915-1916, the Cultural Hall, completed in 1931, . . . — Map (db m67416) HM
Arizona (Gila County), Strawberry — The Strawberry School
The Strawberry School is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Built by pioneers in 1885, this one-room cabin provided elementary instruction to students until 1916. The building represents the effort to teach the "Three Rs" in rural . . . — Map (db m35837) HM
Arizona (Graham County), Central — First Home of Eastern Arizona College
First home of the present Eastern Arizona College was Central's red-brick churchhouse located just north of this marker. Founded December 1890 The many-named school moved the next year to Thatcher. — Map (db m28054) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Gilbert — Gilbert Elementary SchoolHeritage District
This is the third elementary school in Gilbert and was built in 1913. The first two schools were part of the Mesa School District. Everett Wilbur, who later became Gilbert’s first mayor in 1920, donated the land where this school was built. The east . . . — Map (db m94589) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Glendale — Glendale High School Auditorium
This property is listed in the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior Glendale High School Auditorium 1939 — Map (db m30481) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Mesa — Landmark Restaurant / Mesa Community College
[Upper Marker]: Mormon Church 2nd Alma Chapel meeting house, 1911. Sold, 1954 to Producers Insurance Company. First Campus Mesa Community College, 1963. Converted to a restaurant in 1973. [Lower Marker]: This is the site of . . . — Map (db m49906) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Peoria — Peoria Central School
An early example of Mission Revival-Style architecture, this two-room masonry school was built in 1906 to accommodate the growing population of Peoria. The main architectural feature is the curvilinear parapet. After the city purchased the building . . . — Map (db m30398) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — United States Indian Vocational Training School
Established 1891 This fountain and building erected 1922 Charles H. Burke Commissioner of Indian Affairs. "The Indian will become an asset or a liability as we cultivate or fail to cultivate his body, mind and soul with a view . . . — Map (db m62608) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Queen Creek — Rittenhouse Elementary School
In 1924 construction of a new schoolhouse began. Classes were being held in an old cook shack that had once been used by muleskinners to clear the land. The school, named after Charles Rittenhouse, would be a three-room, u-shaped building made of . . . — Map (db m32393) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Scottsdale — Permanent Home of the "Beavers"Historical Landmark
Original site of Scottsdale High School 1923 - 1983 — Map (db m44994) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Scottsdale — Scottsdale Grammar School / The Little Red Schoolhouse1909
State Plaque: Scottsdale Grammar School Dedicated February 26, 1910 on the 73rd birthday of Scottsdale's founder Chaplain Winfield Scott This building served the people of Scottsdale as School Community Center . . . — Map (db m34173) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Tempe — Farmer - Goodwin Mansion
Begun in 1885, this adobe house was completed in February 1886 by Hiram Bradford Farmer. Professor Farmer was the first principal and sole instructor of the newly founded Territorial Normal School, now Arizona State University. Unofficially the . . . — Map (db m27560) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Wickenburg — Garcia SchoolBuilt 1905
Has been entered in the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior Little remains of the old one room schoolhouses built of log, adobe, frame or brick which proliferated across Arizona in . . . — Map (db m29476) HM
Arizona (Navajo County), Fort Apache — B.I.A. Club House (105)
The Club House was constructed by the Bureau of Indian Affairs in 1930 to provide housing and kitchen facilities for unmarried teachers employed at the Theodore Roosevelt School. The building was later converted to a clubhouse for use by the school . . . — Map (db m36784) HM
Arizona (Navajo County), Fort Apache — Barracks (115)
These ruins represent the last surviving enlisted men's barracks, on the east end of Barracks Row. Much like Officer's Row defined the north side of the Parade Ground, Barracks Row made up the south side. This adobe barracks was one of two completed . . . — Map (db m36874) HM
Arizona (Navajo County), Fort Apache — Barracks Row
Throughout the military history of Fort Apache, enlisted men were housed with their units to the south of Officers' Row. The first company quarters, completed in February 1871, were 18 by 20 foot log squad huts built in rows running north and south . . . — Map (db m36807) HM
Arizona (Navajo County), Fort Apache — Boys' Dormitory (116)
The Boys' Dormitory was constructed in 1932. Located on the east end of the fort's Parade Ground, it is on the site of earlier military structures including a telegraph office. Sandstone was quarried for the building's construction from a site about . . . — Map (db m36875) HM
Arizona (Navajo County), Fort Apache — Captain's Quarters (102 and 103)
An 1891 fire, sparked by a defective chimney and fanned by high winds, destroyed five sets of wood frame officers' quarters that had been constructed in this area between 1883 and 1886. Using sandstone quarried just east of the Fort, these two . . . — Map (db m36779) HM
Arizona (Navajo County), Fort Apache — Girls' Dormitory (120)
During the first decade of the Theodore Roosevelt School, girls were housed in the old fort hospital. Since the old barracks that housed the boys was inadequate, a new boys' dormitory was scheduled for construction in 1931. Before that construction . . . — Map (db m36878) HM
Arizona (Navajo County), Fort Apache — Guard House (114)
This stone guard house was built around 1891 to replace the earlier, bed-bug infested structure still standing about 300 feet to the west of this site. Placed near the original main entrance to the fort, this building provided housing for guards and . . . — Map (db m36805) HM
Arizona (Navajo County), Fort Apache — Non-Commissioned Officers' Quarters (110 & 111)
Constructed in 1888 in the architectural style of Fort Apache's Officers' Row, these residences housed junior officers or non-commissioned officers and their families. Like other quarters on the east end of Officers' Row, these residences were . . . — Map (db m36800) HM
Arizona (Navajo County), Fort Apache — Officers' Quarters (107, 108, 109)
These three officers' quarters were constructed between 1883 and 1888 to house junior officers and their families. With clipped-corner porches and symmetrical front elevations, these quarters reflect the architectural style established by the . . . — Map (db m36796) HM
Arizona (Navajo County), Fort Apache — Old Guard House (115A)
The first guardhouse at Fort Apache was built of logs and located on this site. In 1876, this stone building – the second oldest surviving structure on the post – was constructed to replace the original log structure. It was replaced as . . . — Map (db m36806) HM
Arizona (Navajo County), Fort Apache — Parade Ground
This large open field between Officers' Row and the enlisted men's Barracks Row was used by the army for drill practice, training, and review. When called to action, troops would assemble here prior to departure. It also provided a prime location . . . — Map (db m36781) HM
Arizona (Navajo County), Fort Apache — T.R. School Cafeteria (119)
This stone cafeteria building was constructed in 1948-1949 to serve the students of the Theodore Roosevelt School. It is the last building constructed here that is part of the Fort Apache Historic District. Before the construction of this building, . . . — Map (db m36877) HM
Arizona (Navajo County), Fort Apache — T.R. School Teachers' Quarters (112)
This house was constructed by the Bureau of Indian Affairs around 1930 to house Theodore Roosevelt School teachers and families. It deviates in style, though not in size, from the typical Officers' Row quarters. Initially the house had a flat . . . — Map (db m36803) HM
Arizona (Navajo County), Fort Apache — Theodore Roosevelt School (118)
On January 24, 1923 an act was passed by Congress authorizing the Secretary of the Interior to establish and maintain an Indian boarding school on the site of Fort Apache. The first students were Dine' (Navajo) children brought from the Navajo . . . — Map (db m36876) HM
Arizona (Navajo County), Pinedale — Pinedale School Bell
For 75 years this bell tolled throughout Pinedale Valley as a symbol of unity, calling the settlers to school, church and socials and warning of disaster. Purchased in 1892, it hung for many years in a log schoolhouse near this site. Later it was . . . — Map (db m36666) HM
Arizona (Navajo County), Shumway — Shumway Schoolhouse
One of the remaining one-room brick schoolhouses in Northern Arizona was built in 1900 of fired brick. The school was named for Charles Shumway who settled in Spring Valley (now Silver Creek Valley) in 1878 and built a grist mill for wheat and . . . — Map (db m36738) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Arizona's First Public School
On November 18, 1867, the Pima County Board of Supervisors created Tucson School District 1. An old adobe building at this location was refitted for classes. Desks and benches were built, new windows were installed in the 25' x 40' classroom, and . . . — Map (db m83010) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Carrillo Intermediate School
Carrillo School was named for the prominent Tucson businessman, Leopoldo Carrillo. During the 1880's, the site contained the Carrillo Gardens, the city's first park with eight acres of spring-fed artificial lakes, gardens and a recreational center. . . . — Map (db m83016) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Convent Street
Named in 1869 for the convent located adjacent to San Augustín Cathedral. When the seven Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet finally arrived in 1870, they opened the city’s first parochial school for girls next to San Augustín. Three years later . . . — Map (db m69563) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Desert Laboratory
. . . — Map (db m63672) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — George E. P. Smith ResidenceResidencia del Profesor George E. P. Smith
Dr. Smith built this house in 1904 in anticipation of his marriage to Maud North, a Tucson teacher. The house, which he designed, was the first building on the north side of Speedway. Dr. Smith was a University of Arizona professor of engineering . . . — Map (db m83035) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Old Main
On March 12, 1885 Governor Frederick A. Tritle signed legislation creating the University of Arizona. Selim M. Franklin and C.C. Stephens, Pima delegates to the 13th Territorial Legislature fathered this Bill. Jacob S. Mansfeld solicited the 40-acre . . . — Map (db m26386) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — U.S.S. Arizona 1916 - Wilber L. "Bill" Bower U of A Outstanding Achievement Awards
The bell in this clock tower is one of the two original ship's bells salvaged from the battleship U.S.S. Arizona following the attack on Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941. In 1944, Wilber L. "Bill" Bowers, UA Class of 1927, discovered the bell . . . — Map (db m31199) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Florence — Emma Monk Guild House
Emma Monk came to Arizona Territory to teach school at Fort Thomas in the 1880s. She married William Guild in 1887 and taught school in Florence off and on from 1885 to 1897 and was the first Florence principal. She also taught in Red Rock, Casa . . . — Map (db m68337) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Florence — Florence High School
Designed by Phoenix architects Royal W. Lescher and John R. Kibbey and completed in 1916, this neo-classical revival style structure has overtones of the Spanish revival style. The school board chose a one story as the children would have already . . . — Map (db m26623) HM
Arizona (Santa Cruz County), Nogales — Grand Ave - Frank Reed School1928 - 1952
Grand Ave. School was founded in 1928 as a grammar school, grades one through eight, for the African American children of Nogales. In 1943 the school's name was changed to Frank A. Reed in honor of a former student, Frank A. Reed, who died in . . . — Map (db m27113) HM
Arizona (Santa Cruz County), Patagonia — Little Outfit School
National Historic Site The Little Outfit School was opened in 1940 by Katharine (Pete) and Buel Hutchinson and was exemplary of the ranch schools for which Arizona became famous. It provided excellent academics experience in the ideals of . . . — Map (db m78423) HM
Arizona (Santa Cruz County), Tubac — Tubac Schools
In 1789, Toribio Otero received the first land grant in this area in exchange for teaching school at his ranch. A school district was established in 1876 and in 1885 T. Lillie Mercer built this school, one of the earliest in Arizona. It was in use . . . — Map (db m27142) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Jerome — Main Street Primary School
You are standing at the second story entrance to what once was a three story primary school. The land was purchased, a bond was passed and construction began in 1913. It opened May 29, 1914 to graduate 3 seniors: Francis Lyons, Gertrude Rothermel . . . — Map (db m33191) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Lincoln School
In early 1908, the Prescott School Board decided that a new school was needed in Prescott. On July 12, 1908, a school bond election was held and approved by the voters 119-1. In August 1908, the three acre site on Park Avenue on the west side of . . . — Map (db m33049) HM
Arizona (Yavapai county), Prescott — Prescott Public Library
Prescott's modern public library was dedicated on May 18, 1975. However, the history of a public library in Prescott goes back to August 1895, when seven local ladies founded the Women's Club of Prescott (now the Monday Club). They gathered a . . . — Map (db m52912) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — The Carnegie Library
Prescott's first library consisted of over 300 volumes brought to the Territory in 1864 by Secretary of State Richard C. McCormick. In 1870, a group of local women opened a reading room with 263 books collected from local citizens and out-of-town . . . — Map (db m20814) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Washington School
The first public school in Prescott was opened in 1867. In 1876 a four-room brick public school building was erected here. It was known as the "Prescott Free Academy". In 1903 that building was torn down and replaced by Washington School. Washington . . . — Map (db m33094) HM
Arizona (Yuma County), Yuma — Castle Dome Mining District1864 - 1979
In 1863 Jacob Snively, founder of Gila City, and right hand to Sam Houston, avenger of the Alamo, following blazes left on the saguaros by Mexican and Conquistador predecessors, came to Castle Dome, and within 15 years, Castle Dome City’s population . . . — Map (db m48924) HM
Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — Carnegie Library

This is one of only four free public libraries in Arkansas funded by philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. It was built of native limestone and completed in 1912 on this site which was donated by Eureka Springs resident Richard C. Kerens. The . . . — Map (db m80137) HM

Arkansas (Crawford County), Van Buren — A-23 — Albert Pike School HouseCrawford County — 1836 – 1936
In this small log building Albert Pike noted lawyer, poet and mason taught school in 1832. He later went to Little Rock to become editor of the Advocate. — Map (db m96857) HM
Arkansas (Crittenden County), Marion — Marion School Auditorium-GynamnasiumErected 1938 — Courthouse Square Walking Trail
When classrooms were carved out of the second floor auditorium space in the first high school. Marion students and the entire community used a tabernacle built in 1924 on the south side of the high school for events requiring an auditorium. When the . . . — Map (db m116777) HM
Arkansas (Crittenden County), Marion — Marion School DistrictEstablished 1869 — Courthouse Square Walking Trail
May 10, 1869, a petition was submitted the county court for established of School District No. One the Marion district. The formation of the district was approved by the circuit superintendent of public schools. The school operated by the original . . . — Map (db m116779) HM
Arkansas (Dallas County), Tulip — 48 — Arkansas Military Institute / Tulip in the Civil War
Arkansas Military Institute The state legislature chartered the Arkansas Military Institute in 1850, and the school was built on Chapel Ridge in Tulip. Cadets had to be over 14 and at least 4 feet 9 inches tall. Classes included Latin, . . . — Map (db m121218) HM
Arkansas (Dallas County), Tulip — Old Tulip School House1902 - 1944
Has been placed on the Arkansas Register of Historic Places by Arkansas Historic Preservation Program. — Map (db m121334) HM
Arkansas (Jefferson County), Pine Bluff — Joseph Carter Corbin1833-1911
In 1875, Joseph Corbin the son of former slaves, became the founder and principal of Branch Normal College (now UAPB) where he served until 1902. A profound mathematician, outstanding musician, linguist, and holder of bachelor and masters degrees . . . — Map (db m70701) HM
Arkansas (Lafayette County), Bradley — The Old Walnut Hill Schoolhouse
The southern two-thirds of this building is one of the oldest, possibly the oldest structure in southern Lafayette County. The exact date it was built is not known, but it is known that the first children to study in it were born in the 1800s. . . . — Map (db m109684) HM
Arkansas (Phillips County), Helena — Answering a Call for Help
Disease, death, the practice of separating slave families—all left children with no one to care for them. Scores of orphaned black children in Civil War Helena suffered from neglect and exposure. General Napoleon Buford asked for help. In . . . — Map (db m107999) HM
Arkansas (Phillips County), Helena — St. Catherine AcademyA Roman Catholic School on the Frontier
This was the site of St. Catherine Convent and Academy. When it opened in 1858, it was one of two Roman Catholic schools in Arkansas. Opportunities for a classical education were rare in Arkansas and the school founded by the Sisters of Mercy . . . — Map (db m108055) HM

6465 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 201 through 401 were listed. Previous 200 Next 6065
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.