Birthplace of Nellie Custis
the adopted daughter of
General George Washington
Original land grant 1669
Purchased by John Parke Custis
in 1778 from the Alexanders
for whom Alexandria Virginia
Destroyed by fire in 1930 . . . — — Map (db m15867) HM
The land that Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport occupies today was once part of Abingdon Plantation. Abingdon was the home of George Washington’s stepson, John Parke Custis, and birthplace of Washington’s beloved granddaughter, Nelly. . . . — — Map (db m8381) HM
The Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority worked in concert with Federal, state and local historic preservation agencies and professionals in the field to develop the restoration plan for the Abingdon Plantation site. The restoration process . . . — — Map (db m8386) HM
The oldest part of this house may date from 1836 when John M. Young, a Washington wheelright and carriage maker, purchased the farm from Thomas Hodges, planted a large orchard and used the place as a summer home. In 1905, the farm was acquired by . . . — — Map (db m884) HM
On June 16,1608, Englishman Captain John Smith and fourteen other men from the Jamestown colony entered the Potomac River aboard a two-ton open barge in search of a glistering metal the [natives] told us they had from Patowmeck. They explored . . . — — Map (db m19978) HM
In the first half of the 20th Century, Arlington County changed from a handful of separate neighborhoods to a cohesive community with its own identity and government. The establishment of a central post office was a major factor in this . . . — — Map (db m54884) HM
The ARPANET, a project of the Advanced Research Projects Agency of the Department of Defense, developed the technology that became the foundation for the internet at this site from 1970 to 1975. Originally intended to support military needs, ARPANET . . . — — Map (db m47305) HM
This intersection has been a focal point since about 1740, when two roads were developed, one from the future site to Alexandria to the mouth of Pimmit Run, the other from Awbury’s Ferry (at the site of Rosslyn) to the Falls Church. The first came . . . — — Map (db m55969) HM
By 1900 a well-defined village called Central Ballston had developed in the area bounded by the present Wilson Boulevard, Taylor Street, Washington Boulevard, and Pollard Street. More diffuse settlement extended westward to Lubber Run and southward . . . — — Map (db m72026) HM
In 1880 Dr. John W. Barcroft rebuilt the Arlington Mill. The name of the railroad station here was subsequently changed from Arlington to Barcroft, and that became the name of the residential community which developed eastward along Columbia Pike. . . . — — Map (db m86142) HM
The Barcroft Community house was constructed in 1908 as a branch chapel of the Methodist church. It was sold in 1914 to the neighborhood civic association, the Barcroft School and Civic League. The building served as the Barcroft neighborhood public . . . — — Map (db m56472) HM
Historical Site Defenses of Washington 1861-1865 Battery Garesché Here stood Battery Garesché, constructed late in 1861 to control the higher ground dominating Fort Reynolds, 200 yards to the southeast. It had a perimeter of 166 yards and . . . — — Map (db m5164) HM
Caleb Birch, a farmer and constable, built a log house here around 1800 on land granted to his grandfather, James Robertson, by Lord Fairfax in 1724. The original house burned and was rebuilt about 1836. A second log cabin was added ten years later. . . . — — Map (db m56520) HM
In June 1945 the scene nearby would have included the multiple tracks, gas-electric combine, electric substation, and passenger station shown below. As of 1912 Bluemont Junction served as the hub of the multi-line Washington & Old Dominion Railway. . . . — — Map (db m24924) HM
(Trail Side): Bluemont Junction began operation in 1912 as a part of the newly formed Washington & Old Dominion (W&OD) Railway. The station was a busy transfer point for passengers and freight from Alexandria and Georgetown to points west, . . . — — Map (db m24988) HM
This landmark was first described in 1724 by surveyor Charles Broadwater as "the rock stones called Brandymore Castle." Research in 1972 established that the natural formation matched the boundary descriptions on the 18th century land grands from . . . — — Map (db m8180) HM
The Buckingham garden apartment complex was built in stages between 1937 and 1983. It represents a pioneering effort to provide rental housing through the use of "garden city" planning principles, mass production techniques and private capital. The . . . — — Map (db m56481) HM
Since its construction in 1892 as a meeting hall, this building has been in continuous community service. In addition to its use for community meetings, the building also was used for an elementary school, church services, a nursery school, a . . . — — Map (db m55375) HM
In 1872 John F. Carlin developed here a popular resort which could be reached by train from Washington and Alexandria. His establishment included two springs, an ice cream parlor, a restaurant, a dance pavilion, and a swimming hole at the confluence . . . — — Map (db m56467) HM
This plaque commemerates the 100th anniversary of the Wright Brothers flights here at Fort Myer from September 3 to 17, 1908. These flights led to a return series of flights from June 29 to July 30 of 1909 culminating in the first ever cross country . . . — — Map (db m70828) HM
In 1797, the merchants of Georgetown built here the first bridge over the Potomac River in order to compete with the Virginia port of Alexandria. The Falls Bridge allowed trade from the "upper country" of Virginia to move directly to Georgetown over . . . — — Map (db m3339) HM
In 1893 a branch post office at Lee Highway and Pollard Street was named Cherrydale, with reference to Dorsey Donaldson’s large cherry orchard in back of the present firehouse. Quincy Street was then known as Cherry Valley Road. Settlement in this . . . — — Map (db m55731) HM
(from left to right)
The first steam locomotive reached Cherrydale and Thrifton (now Maywood) in the spring of 1904. There were two rail lines in Alexandria (now Arlington) County that served the young community. . . . — — Map (db m125007) HM
This two-story brick building was built in 1936 as the Cherrydale Masonic Hall. Designed with retail space on the first floor, the building serves as the home of the Cherrydale Masonic Lodge #42. This lodge is the second oldest Masonic organization . . . — — Map (db m55810) HM
The Cherrydale Volunteer Fire Department was the first fire company in Arlington County. Formed in 1898 and officially established in 1904, it originally consisted of 10 leather buckets, a ladder, and spirited volunteers. A community fundraising . . . — — Map (db m55809) HM
Although dueling was illegal in Virginia, Secretary of State Henry Clay challenged U.S. Senator John Randolph of Roanoke. Clay called Randolph out to defend his honor after Randolph insulted him in a speech on the Senate floor. Randolph confided to . . . — — Map (db m2315) HM
In August 1861, while U.S. forces were constructing the Arlington line three miles to the east, the Confederates established a fortified outpost on the high ground about 200 yards west of here, to guard the bridge by which the Georgetown - Falls . . . — — Map (db m68764) HM
George Grant Crossman built this late Victorian vernacular farmhouse in 1892 for his bride Nellie Dodge. Three generations of the Crossman family operated a 60-acre dairy farm on the site until 1949. The Crossman family played a significant role in . . . — — Map (db m43540) HM
In 1945 a new segregated elementary school was built for Arlington’s African American population in the Green Valley, now Nauck, neighborhood. It was the only Arlington school to be built in the Art Moderne architectural style. Originally called the . . . — — Map (db m69192) HM
Campbell Avenue is named in honor of Edmund D. and Elizabeth P. Campbell, whose accomplishments and civic activism set a high standard for all to follow.
Edmund Douglas Campbell was born March 12, 1899, in Lexington, Virginia, the son of . . . — — Map (db m65032) HM
Campbell Avenue is named in honor of Edmund D. and Elizabeth P. Campbell, whose accomplishments and civic activism set a high standard for all to follow.
Margaret Elizabeth Pfohl was born December 4, 1902, in Clemmons, North Carolina. . . . — — Map (db m65033) HM
Designed in the Colonial revival style by Kenneth Franzheim and Alan B. Mills and constructed between 1942 and 1944, Fairlington is an early example of successful community planning and large-scale publicly financed rental housing built for defense . . . — — Map (db m66728) HM
Immediately to the northwest stood Fort Albany, a bastioned earthwork built in May 1861 to command the approach to the Long Bridge by way of the Columbia Turnpike. It had a perimeter of 429 yards and emplacements for 12 guns. Even after Forts . . . — — Map (db m5258) HM
Historical Site Defenses of Washington 1861-1865 Fort Barnard Here stood Fort Barnard, a redoubt constructed late in 1861 to command the approaches to Alexandria by way of Four Mile Run and Glebe Road. It was named for General J. G. Barnard, . . . — — Map (db m5158) HM
Historical Site Defenses of Washington 1861-1865 Fort Bennett Here stood Fort Bennett, a small outwork of Fort Corcoran, constructed in May 1861. With a perimeter of 146 yards and emplacements for 5 guns, it was designed to bring under fire the . . . — — Map (db m5104) HM
Historical Site Defenses of Washington 1861-1865 Fort Berry Immediately to the west stood Fort Berry, a redoubt constructed in 1863 at the north flank of the defenses of Alexandria, but also flanking the Columbia Turnpike and the Arlington Line . . . — — Map (db m5154) HM
Fort C.F. Smith was constructed in early 1863 as part of the expansion and strengthening of the capital’s defenses that continued throughout the Civil War. With Forts Strong, Morton and Woodbury, Fort C.F. Smith formed the outer perimeter of the . . . — — Map (db m5099) HM
Fort C.F. Smith was constructed in 1863 on farmland appropriated from William Jewell. The fort was named in honor of Gen. Charles Ferguson Smith, who was instrumental in the Union victory at Fort Donelson, Tennessee in 1862. The fortification was . . . — — Map (db m5101) HM
The ramps in front of you, now covered with grass, led to wooden platforms on which the various cannons were placed. When built in 1863, Fort C.F. Smith had platforms for twenty-two artillery pieces and four siege mortars. However, only sixteen . . . — — Map (db m5102) HM
Historical Site Defenses of Washington 1861-1865 Fort C.F. Smith Just to the north are the remains of Fort C.F. Smith. A lunette built early in 1863 to command the high ground north of Spout Run and protect the flank of the Arlington Line. It . . . — — Map (db m5103) HM
Historical Site Defenses of Washington 1861-1865 Fort Cass During the Civil War, the Union built a series of forts to defend Washington, D.C. By 1865 there were 33 earthen fortifications in the Arlington Line. Fort Cass (1861) was part of this . . . — — Map (db m5141) HM
Historical Site Defenses of Washington 1861-1865 Fort Corcoran During the Civil War, the Union built a series of forts to defend Washington, D.C. By 1865 there were 33 earthen fortifications in the Arlington Line. Fort Corcoran (1861) was part . . . — — Map (db m5106) HM
Historical Site Defenses of Washington 1861-1865 Fort Craig Here stood Fort Craig, a lunette in the Arlington Line constructed in August 1861. It had a perimeter of 324 yards and emplacements for 11 guns. — — Map (db m5150) HM
Historical Site Defenses of Washington 1861-1865 Fort Ethan Allen This embankment was the south face of Fort Ethan Allen, a bastioned earthwork built in September 1861 to command all the approaches to Chain Bridge south of Pimmit Run. The fort . . . — — Map (db m2317) HM
Fort Ethan Allen was constructed during the Civil War to provide one of the last lines of defense against possible Confederate attacks aimed at Washington. The fort commanded approaches to Chain Bridge (over the Potomac River) from the south of . . . — — Map (db m2318) HM
Historical Site Defenses of Washington 1861-1865 Fort Haggerty Here beside the Georgetown-Alexandria road stood Fort Haggerty, a small outwork of Fort Corcoran, constructed in May 1861. With a perimeter of 128 yards and emplacements for 4 guns, . . . — — Map (db m5111) HM
Historical Site Defenses of Washington 1861-1865 Fort Reynolds Here stood Fort Reynolds, a redoubt constructed in September, 1861, to command the approach to Alexandria by way of the valley of Four Mile Run. It had a perimeter of 360 yards and . . . — — Map (db m5155) HM
Historical Site Defenses of Washington 1861-1865 Fort Richardson Here is what is left of Fort Richardson, a detached redoubt constructed in September, 1861, to cover the left flank of the newly built Arlington defense line, It was named for . . . — — Map (db m39726) HM
Historical Site Defenses of Washington 1861-1865 Fort Runyon A half-mile to the southwest stood Fort Runyon, a large bastioned earthwork constructed in May 1861 to protect the Long Bridge over the Potomac. Its perimeter, 1484 yards, was about . . . — — Map (db m5255) HM
Historical Site Defenses of Washington 1861-1865 Fort Scott Here stood a detached lunette constructed in May, 1861, to guard the south flank of the defenses of Washington and named for General Winfield Scott, then General-in-Chief of the Army. . . . — — Map (db m5257) HM
Historical Site Defenses of Washington 1861-1865 Fort Tillinghast Here stood Fort Tillinghast, a lunette in the Arlington Line constructed in August 1861. It had a perimeter of 298 yards and emplacements for 13 guns. A model of this fort, . . . — — Map (db m5147) HM
Historical Site Defenses of Washington 1861-1865 Fort Whipple On the high ground to the northeast stood Fort Whipple, a bastioned earthwork built early in 1863 to support the Arlington Line built in 1861. It had a perimeter of 640 yards and . . . — — Map (db m5140) HM
Historical Site Defenses of Washington 1861-1865 Fort Woodbury During the Civil War, the Union built a series of forts to defend Washington, D.C. By 1865 there were 33 earthen fortifications in the Arlington Line. Fort Woodbury (1861) was part . . . — — Map (db m5138) HM
During the Civil War, many escaped and freed slaves traveled north seeking refuge in Union camps. Thousands crowded into the Federal City. The number of refugees quickly overwhelmed the area’s resources. Overcrowding and disease became prevalent. In . . . — — Map (db m5293) HM
After the outbreak of the Civil War, escaped slaves sought refuge at Union Camps and thousands crowded into the Federal City. In response to the unhealthy conditions in Washington, the government selected a site on Arlington Heights in May, 1863, to . . . — — Map (db m6409) HM
Saegmuller, a native of Germany, came to America at 23 and achieved success as an inventor and manufacturer of scientific instruments. He lived here at Reserve Hill, the home of his parents-in-law, the Vandenbergs, and contributed in many ways to . . . — — Map (db m56519) HM
If you arrived here by train on a summer Sunday afternoon in the 1870s, you would find crowds of people enjoying Arlington's premier amusement park.
This wooded spot near the confluence of Lubber Run and Four Mile Run was a natural place for a . . . — — Map (db m67491) HM
This acroterion originally decorated the pediment over the main entrance of the Abbey Mausoleum, which overlooked Arlington National Cemetery. Built in 1926 by the United States Mausoleum Company, the Romanesque-style building featured an impressive . . . — — Map (db m66941) HM
Harry W. Gray was born into slavery at Arlington House, where he learned to work with brick and stone. He built this two-story red brick townhouse in 1881 on an original ten acre homestead. The design was based on homes he had seen in Washington, . . . — — Map (db m69188) HM
Marines have been fighting and dying in defense of freedom since the United States Marine Corps inception in November, 1775. The names of principal campaigns engraved on the memorial are a testament to the sacrifices Marines have made in their . . . — — Map (db m4917) HM
One of the routes at this historic intersection is Glebe Road, developed in the 18-th century to connect Alexandria with northern Arlington. Columbian Turnpike was built in 1808 between the Long Bridge to Washington and the Little River Turnpike at . . . — — Map (db m59705) HM
In 1742, John Ball received a 166-acre land grant from Lord Fairfax and became one of the first settlers in this area. The oldest portion of the present house is a one-story 18th century log cabin that was probably built by John Ball. In 1772, six . . . — — Map (db m55374) HM
This Prairie style house was built around 1926 for John Leonard Saegmuller. The prominent local family owned about 240 acres of land in this part of the county. John worked for his father George Nicholas designing optical instruments at his factory, . . . — — Map (db m57639) HM
In 1896, the Washington, Arlington & Falls Church Railway began running electric trolleys from Rosslyn to Falls Church on the present routes of Fairfax Drive and I-66. By 1907, the line linked downtown Washington to Ballston, Vienna, and the Town of . . . — — Map (db m64845) HM
Following World War II, the idea for a symbolic gift from "The People of the Netherlands to The People of the United States" met with generous response from all sections of the Netherlands. Queen Juliana presented a small silver bell to President . . . — — Map (db m4899) HM
Little Falls Road was originally a trail from the Indian villages at the head of Four Mile Run to the Potomac River fisheries just below the Little Falls. Later it was developed as a wagon road from the settlement at the Falls Church to Thomas Lee’s . . . — — Map (db m55811) HM
Macedonia Baptist Church was the first African-American church established by residents in the Nauck community. Founded in 1911, the church traces its origins to prayer meetings held in 1908 at the home of Bonder and Amanda Johnson at 22nd Street . . . — — Map (db m69190) HM
The United States Marine Corps War Memorial stands as a symbol of our nation's high regard for the honored dead of the Marine Corps. Although the statue depicts one of the most famous events of World War II, the memorial is dedicated to all Marines . . . — — Map (db m4902) HM
Margaret Elizabeth Pfohl Campbell was born to a Moravian family in North Carolina, where her upbringing and education led her to devote her life to seeking educational opportunities for others. She served as dean of Staunton's Mary Baldwin College . . . — — Map (db m55736) HM
This home incorporates the original log house built about 1800 by William Carlin. It is one of the earliest structures remaining in Arlington. At one time, Carlin had been a tailor in Alexandria whose clients included George Washington. Mr. Carlin’s . . . — — Map (db m56352) HM
The Clarendon Elementary School was built in 1910 to serve the growing Clarendon neighborhood. The two-story symmetrical building was designed with a central hall and four classrooms on each floor. The school was renamed in 1925 to honor Matthew . . . — — Map (db m49434) HM
Railroad and trolley lines stimulated the development of many Arlington neighborhoods in the early 20th century. In 1906 the Great Falls and Old Dominion Railway opened a line through this area. From 1909 to 1913 the Conservative Realty Corporation . . . — — Map (db m64883) HM
To the northwest is Minor's Hill, so called for George Minor who lived on the far side at the time of the Revolution. It is the highest elevation in the county. In the fall of 1861, it was the site of a Confederate outpost. Afterwards there was a . . . — — Map (db m24992) HM
Moses Ball (1717-1792), the ancestor of generations of prominent Arlingtonians, received a 91-acre grant on this land from Lord Fairfax in 1748. The property remained in the Ball Family until 1818. It is thought that Ball built his home on a rise . . . — — Map (db m56091) HM
This is Arlington’s oldest church site in continuous use. Land for a Methodist Protestant Meeting House was conveyed in 1855 by William and Ann Marcey and John B. and Cornetia Brown, for whom Brown’s Bend Road (now 16th Street, North) was named. The . . . — — Map (db m56225) HM
As soon as the smoking guns of the Civil War were finally silenced, a group of former slaves banded themselves together in what was then known as Freedmen’s Village, a government reservation in the area of Arlington National Cemetery, and founded a . . . — — Map (db m69189) HM
The Nauck community has a long and diverse history. The area that now comprises the Nauck neighborhood was originally granted to John Todd and Evan Thomas in 1719. The land was later acquired by Robert Alexander and sold to John Parke Custis in . . . — — Map (db m2504) HM
In war and in peace, in commerce and in travel, in rescue and discovery, in fisheries and in research, this nation has forged a bond with and a dependence on the sea. This monument of waves and gulls memorializes our national life at sea. It is . . . — — Map (db m5108) HM
This is one of Arlington’s oldest family burial grounds. Ensign John Ball (1748- 1814), a veteran of the American Revolution (Sixth Virginia Infantry), is buried here. John Ball was the son of Moses Ball, who was one of the pioneer settlers in the . . . — — Map (db m56482) HM
In 1801, this stone represented Arlington's limits.
In 2001, this school represents Arlington's boundless horizon.
Arlington County Virginia Bicentennial
200 Years of Community — — Map (db m88156) HM
Orville Wright made his first heavier-than air
flight in Virginia at Fort Myer for the U.S.
Army on 3 Sept. 1908. He flew the plane
slightly more than a minute, reaching a
speed of 40 miles per hour. During the next
two weeks here, Wright broke . . . — — Map (db m108126) HM
Bob Peck opened his first Chevrolet dealership in 1939 on Wilson Boulevard in Clarendon. In 1964, he moved the dealership west to Ballston to the very prominent corner of North Glebe Road and Wilson Boulevard, 300 feet south of this marker. Taking . . . — — Map (db m64844) HM
We claim this ground in remembrance of the events of September 11, 2001.
To honor the 184 people whose lives were lost, their families, and all who sacrifice that we may live in freedom.
We will never forget. . . . — — Map (db m13109) HM
Pimmit Run is a stream that runs from the Pimmit Hills neighborhood in Falls Church and joins the Potomac River immediately south of Chain Bridge. The mouth of Pimmit Run provided Native Americans and settlers access to fresh water and fishing, the . . . — — Map (db m59708) HM
The mansion which formerly stood here was built in 1841 by James Roach, a prosperous contractor who supplied most of the brick and stone used in the construction of the Aqueduct Bridge and Alexandria Canal (under construction 1833-1843) and the . . . — — Map (db m55970) HM
The statue of Ronald Wilson Reagan, 40th President of the United States from 1981-1989, is located northeast of this location at the driving entrance to Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport.
In 1987, President Reagan's Secretary of . . . — — Map (db m70983) HM
Rosslyn traditionally has served as a principal gateway to Arlington and to Virginia. Captain John Smith explored this area in 1608. Awbrey's Ferry carried travelers across the Potomac for more than a century in the 1700s and 1800s. The Aqueduct . . . — — Map (db m82493) HM
If you were a passenger on the Washington & Old Dominion Railway heading into Georgetown, you would first have to pass through Rosslyn, Virginia, a 15-minute train ride from here. The first Rosslyn Terminal dated from 1906, with the establishment . . . — — Map (db m24926) HM
Arlington's first house of worship, the Chapel of Ease of Arlington Plantation, was near this location. George Washington Parke Custis built it about 1825 for his family, neighbors, and servants. Services were conducted by students from the . . . — — Map (db m30008) HM
Five generations of the Southern, Shreve, and related families are interred in this burial plot. The Shreve family in Arlington dates from the arrival of Samuel Shreve from New Jersey about 1780. Shreve purchased a tract of land near Ballston in . . . — — Map (db m64878) HM
The U.S. Government erected 40 sandstone markers on the boundaries of the District of Columbia in 1791 and 1792. The boundary survey was initiated by President George Washington and executed by Andrew Ellicott, who became Surveyor General of the . . . — — Map (db m66927) HM
The U.S. Government erected 40 sandstone markers on the boundaries of the District of Columbia in 1791 and 1792. The boundary survey was initiated by President George Washington and executed by Andrew Ellicott, who became Surveyor General of the . . . — — Map (db m57120) HM
On February 2, 1959, Stratford Jr. High became the first racially integrated school in Virginia. The long battle to integrate Virginia's public schools followed the U.S. Supreme Court's 1954 decision in Brown v. Board of Education, which held that . . . — — Map (db m55729) HM
Dedicated on May 5, 1960, the 15th anniversary of the liberation of the Netherlands, the Netherlands Carillon was presented "From The People Of The Netherlands To The People Of The United States" in gratitude for assistance given during and after . . . — — Map (db m4898) HM
The land that Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport occupies today was once part of a plantation. This hill and the ruins on it are all that remain of the house that stood here for nearly 190 years.
Abington, as this tract of land on the . . . — — Map (db m8377) HM
Abingdon Plantation was originally part of a 6,000 acre tract if land granted to Robert Howson in 1669. As master of a sailing ship, he was given the land in exchange for transporting settlers to the colony of Virginia. Howson sold it to John . . . — — Map (db m8378) HM
Historical Site Defenses of Washington 1861-1865 The Arlington Line Here the Arlington Line constructed in August, 1861, crossed the Georgetown-Falls Church road. 100 yards to the northwest stood Fort Morton, a lunette with a perimeter of 250 . . . — — Map (db m5161) HM
The land along Four Mile Run in this area belonged to George Washington and was known as Washington Forest. Later it became part of the Arlington estate. The Columbia Turnpike was built through here in 1808 to link the Long Bridge at Washington with . . . — — Map (db m56468) HM
Here between 1766 and 1908 were buried members of the Ball and Carlin families. In 1742 John Ball was granted 166 acres in this area and in 1748 his brother Moses Ball was granted 91 adjoining acres, now the site of Doctor’s Hospital. They were . . . — — Map (db m55376) HM
Iwo Jima's location midway between Japan and American bomber bases in the Mariana Islands was key to both countries strategies. Since the summer of 1944, American long-range B-29 bombers had been flying 2,700 miles to strike the Japanese Home . . . — — Map (db m4916) HM
England's King Charles I granted the entire Potomac River to Maryland in 1632. Four centuries later Maryland, Virginia, and the District of Columbia were still arguing over their mutual boundary. Alexander's Island was one controversial site. It . . . — — Map (db m98717) HM
John Parke Custis was the adopted stepson of George Washington and had been raised at the nearby Washington estate of Mount Vernon. He and his wife, Eleanor Calvert, lived in New Kent County with their first two daughters. However, Custis wanted to . . . — — Map (db m8380) HM
This house is probably the oldest structure in Arlington County, but its exact age is unknown. This land was first patented in 1696; a house at this site is shown on a survey of 1785. Thomas Dawson enlarged the present house by adding the east end . . . — — Map (db m56258) HM
On the morning of February 23, 1945, the fifth day of battle, a 40-man Marine combat patrol ascended the rocky slopes of Mount Suribachi, a 550-foot extinct volcano at the southern tip of Iwo Jima. The patrol, led by First Lieutenant Harold G. . . . — — Map (db m4903) HM
The glebe was a 500-acre farm provided for the rector of Fairfax Parish, which included both Christ Church, Alexandria, and the Falls Church. The Glebe House, built in 1775, stood here. It burned in 1808 and was rebuilt in 1820, as a hunting lodge; . . . — — Map (db m57022) HM
The Bluemont Branch of the Washington & Old Dominion was not the railroad’s only line. The Great Falls & Old Dominion Railroad arose in 1906 from the vision of two prominent men. Sen. Stephen B. Elkins of West Virginia had prospered through coal, . . . — — Map (db m24925) HM
After the Stuarts moved from Abingdon in 1793, the Alexander family once again owned the plantation. Robert Alexander III’s son, Walter, leased Abingdon to several families over the years. In 1807, he advertised the Abingdon estate for sale, ending . . . — — Map (db m8379) HM
During the late 1800s and early 1900s, the encroachment of industry transformed the landscape of Abingdon. Several brick companies purchased the land and began to manufacture brick on the site.
Various modes of transportation converged on . . . — — Map (db m8385) HM
Thomas Lee patented land in this area in 1719. Here at the head of navigation of the Potomac River, he established an official tobacco inspection warehouse in 1742, the beginning of Arlington's first industrial complex. After 1794, Philip Richard . . . — — Map (db m3337) HM
March 20, 1847 - Incorporated as the Alexandria &
Harper’s Ferry Railroad.
March 15, 1853 - The corporate name changes to the Alexandria, Loudoun & Hampshire Railroad Company.
February 25, 1855 - Construction . . . — — Map (db m2500) HM
The railroad that became the Washington & Old Dominion was born in Alexandria in response to the competition in shipping posed by the port in Baltimore, which was served by the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad. The B&O was diverting farm produce from the . . . — — Map (db m24920) HM
Near this point the Alexandria Canal crossed Four Mile Run, connecting Alexandria docks and railyards to Georgetown and western Maryland from 1843 to 1886. To the east were the turnpike and railroad. In 1896 the Washington, Alexandria and Mount . . . — — Map (db m22469) HM
John N. and Elizabeth Causins Travers established a 30-acre farm here in 1832, when Arlington was rural and had less than 1,500 inhabitants. Over the years the land was subdivided. Descendants and kin lived here, contributing to the life of . . . — — Map (db m49800) HM
Dedicated to the Marine dead of all wars, and their comrades of other services who fell fighting beside them.
Created by Felix de Weldon, and inspired by the immortal photograph taken by Joseph J. Rosenthal on February 23, 1945, atop Mt. . . . — — Map (db m4914) HM
Walker Chapel, a small frame country church of the Mount Olivet Circuit, was dedicated at this location on July 18, 1876. It was named in honor of the Walker family who donated the Walker Grave Yard as the site for the church. A new frame church was . . . — — Map (db m2316) HM
W & OD Trail.
The 100-foot-wide Washington and Old Dominion Railroad Regional Park (W&OD Trail) features a 45-mile asphalt trail for walking, running, skating, bicycling and other activities and a 33-mile parallel, gravel bridle path for . . . — — Map (db m2406) HM
Although it is no longer legible, this monument marks the northernmost point of an approximately 1200-acre tract of land that George Washington purchased in 1775 prior to the American Revolution. Washington used an oak tree that stood on this site . . . — — Map (db m56480) HM
Mark Felt, second in command at the FBI, met Washington Post reporter Bob Woodward here in this
parking garage to discuss the Watergate scandal. Felt provided Woodward information that exposed the Nixon Administration’s obstruction of the FBI's . . . — — Map (db m55498) HM
This park is named for Dr. Williamson Crothers Welburn, 1874-1964, an Arlington physician whose practice began in 1905. Welburn built his office on this site with a pharmacy/post office downstairs and living space above. The front sidewalk was the . . . — — Map (db m56475) HM
On September 9, 1908, near this site,
Orville Wright carried aloft in
public his first passenger, Lt. Frank
P. Lahm, for a flight lasting 6
minutes and 24 seconds. Three days
later, he took Major George O. Squier
on a flight of 9 minutes and . . . — — Map (db m108151) HM
This park is named for Henry Wright, born in 1878 in Lawrence, Kansas, and raised in a Quaker family. Wright's exposure to functional Quaker architecture and his father's position as a local city planner impacted his designs. He studied architecture . . . — — Map (db m69554) HM
For more than half a century from the mid-1800’s the intersection of Lee Highway and Glebe Road was known as Wunders Crossroads after the family whose farm lay just northeast. Dr. Henry S. Wunder and his son George O. Wunder were leading citizens of . . . — — Map (db m56255) HM
Dedicated to the men of the 65th Infantry Regiment, United States Army, for their valor and patriotism during the Korean War, 1950 - 1953.
Official seals of the Department of the Army and the 65th Infantry Regiment
Dedicado a los . . . — — Map (db m77574) WM
APO 144, N.Y. - WW II - Europe England - France - Belgium They moved the mail They enhanced the morale 1st. Lt. Wm. K. Armstrong, ACC · S/Sgt. John D. Caidano · Sgt. Fred A. Murphy · T/4 Willis W. Cresswell · T/4 Ira Osteen · T/5 Richard W. Betts . . . — — Map (db m98626) WM
In commemoration of all Sky Soldiers whose valor and sacrifice in defense of South Vietnam must never be forgotten. "All gave some - Some gave all" Renderings of military insignia: Combat Infantryman Badge 173rd Airborne Brigade Paratrooper . . . — — Map (db m24554) HM
In honor of the Redcatchers for their sacrifice and selfless dedication to duty in the Republic of Vietnam, 1966-1970. They shall remain a steadfast example in the hearts of their fellow soldiers and countrymen. Insignia of the 199th . . . — — Map (db m98642) WM
Insignia of the Tenth Armored "Tiger" Division This tree planted in memory of the courageous men of the 423rd Armored Field Artillery Battalion Commanded by LTC William W. Beverley who fought so valiantly in the European Theatre of . . . — — Map (db m93099) WM
In memory 455th Bombardment Group (Heavy) San Giovanni Airfield, Italy 1943-1945 This oak tree, planted April, 1996, is in living memory of those who made the supreme sacrifice in the skies over Europe during World War II to preserve our freedoms. . . . — — Map (db m98605) WM
The 484th Bomb Group (H) 49th Bomb Wing
15th AF, Flew Bombing Missions From
Torretta Airfield, Italy 1944-45 and Was
Part of the Greatest Aerial Armada to
Ever Take to the Skies
(484th Bomb Group Association)
This Plaque . . . — — Map (db m62341) WM
503rd Prcht Inf Reg
462nd Prcht Arty Bn
161st Prcht Eng Co
Is Dedicated to the Memory of
Our Comrades Who Gave Their Lives
In The Cause of Freedom
During World War II — — Map (db m62454) WM
Ardennes / Alsace
1944 - 1945
In Honor Of The More Than 1000 Men Of The
63RD Infantry Division
Who Gave Their Lives So That
We May Live Free
Dedicated to their fallen comrades by the men of . . . — — Map (db m62350) WM
World War I
World War II
"I do not ask that Thou shall front the fray,
And drive the warring foemen from my sight;
I only ask O Lord, by . . . — — Map (db m11882) HM
Alconbury and Hardwick, England
North Africa: Three Tours
WWII Strategic Bombing 1942 - 1945
In Memory of Those Who Made the Supreme Sacrifice in the Skies
Over Europe During World War II to Preserve Our Freedoms.
Dedicated to All Who . . . — — Map (db m62342) WM
In memory of our fallen comrades of the 96th Infantry Division, U.S. Army killed on Leyte, Philippines and Okinawa, Japan and to all Deadeyes who fought with valor and distinction to defeat Imperial Japan — — Map (db m61926) WM
This garden fed the Custis and Lee families, their many guests, the enslaved house workers, and even the Federal Army. It provided for the family from early spring to late fall. The harvest included fruits and vegetables such as berries, potatoes, . . . — — Map (db m93092) HM
Dedicated to all African American Veterans of the Korean War, 1950-1953, for your valor, pride, patriotism and professionalism.
Your pioneering efforts and sacrifices have contributed immensely to the development of today's Soldiers, Sailors, . . . — — Map (db m11216) WM
In sacred memory of
American Special Operations Forces.
"Courage and Sacrifice."
[Five organizational emblems/insignia follow:]
United States Special Operations Command,
[U.S. Army Special Forces] Airborne,
Joint . . . — — Map (db m12589) HM
This oak tree was planted as a memorial to those who served in the American Volunteer Group, the China Air Task Force and the 14th Air Force during World War II. Dedicated by the members of the Flying Tigers of the 14th Air Force Association . . . — — Map (db m11694) HM
Rendering of organizational insignia 1942 · We Led The Way · 1945 In memory of our fallen comrades who sacrified their lives in the service of their country while serving in the United States Navy and Army Amphibious Scouts and Raiders . . . — — Map (db m15183) HM
In honor of members of the
United States Armed Forces who
died during an attempt to rescue
American hostages held in Iran
25 April 1980
· U.S. Marine Corps ·
John D. Harvey
Sgt., 30 May 1958
George N. Holmes, Jr.
Cpl., 20 . . . — — Map (db m11105) HM
In 1778, John Parke Custis purchased most of the 1,100 acres comprising this estate from the Alexander family. John's son, George Washington Parke Custis, came in 1802 and completed the house in 1818. He named it “Arlington” after the . . . — — Map (db m70738) HM
On May 24, 1861, Union troops crossed the Potomac River into Virgina and occupied the Arlington Estate. Officers lived in the house while hundreds of soldiers camped on the grounds. The Army crisscrossed the estate with roads and telegraph lines, . . . — — Map (db m70729) HM
To the World War II American soldiers who fought in the Battle of the Bulge, the greatest land battle in the history of the United States Army.
An emblem of the Association of
the Veterans of the Battle of the Bulge is engraved on the . . . — — Map (db m11211) HM
This Cedar of Lebanon tree grows in living memory of the Americans killed in the Beirut terrorist attack and all victims of terrorism throughout the world.
Dedicated during the first memorial ceremony for these victims.
Given by: No Greater . . . — — Map (db m88360) HM WM
In memory of the United States military personnel who served on the Berlin Airlift, 26 June 1948 to 30 September 1949. [Insignia of:] Berlin Airlift Veterans Assoc. [Renderings of two U.S. transport aircraft] Presented by the Berlin . . . — — Map (db m24603) WM
Dedicated to the Buffalo Soldiers, 9th and 10th Cavalry, and the 24th and 25th Infantry Regiments (Colored Troops) for valiant service in the Spanish-American War. They charged up San Juan Hill and El Caney, Cuba with Teddy Roosevelt and the Rough . . . — — Map (db m11889) HM
Erected by the Government of Canada in honour of the citizens of the United States who served in the Canadian Army and gave their lives in the Great War, 1914-1918.
In honour of the citizens of the . . . — — Map (db m11138) HM
Left-most, first marker
Catholic Chaplains who
died serving their
country in World War II
and in the Korean and
World War II
Antonucci, Ralph A. · Babst, Julius J. · Bacigalupo, Andrew · Barrett, Thomas J. · . . . — — Map (db m45149) WM
[Emblem for the United States Air Force Auxiliary - Civil Air Patrol]
Dedicated to the memory of Civil Air Patrol members who gave their lives in service to this nation that others might live. — — Map (db m15368) HM
Beneath this stone repose the bones of two thousand, one hundred and eleven unknown soldiers gathered after the war from the fields of Bull Run and the route to the Rappahannock. Their remains could not be identified, but their names and deaths . . . — — Map (db m24595) HM
Panel 1: "Not for fame or reward, not for place or for rank; not lured by ambition or goaded by necessity; but in simple obedience to duty as they understood it; these men suffered all, sacrificed all, dared all, and died."
Panel . . . — — Map (db m11807) HM
Unlike the planters in the lower south, the Custis and Lee family grew mostly food crops on this 1,100 acre plantation as well as at two other sites. George Washington Park Custis limited the cultivation of cotton and tobacco because they were labor . . . — — Map (db m70676) HM
Col. to Bvt. Major General
Major General Volunteers
He was graduated at West Point
1848 Mexican War
1852 Commissioner to Mexico
1854 Indian Hostilities in Texas
1856 Indian Hostilities . . . — — Map (db m99557) WM
In honor of the men of the Army 1st Engineer Special Brigade, 4th Infantry Division, VII Corps Headquarters, and Navy 11th Amphibious Force Convoy T-4, who suffered and perished on April 28, 1944. While conducting “Exercise Tiger” at . . . — — Map (db m36655) WM
Joint Resolution recognizing the outstanding service rendered to the United Nations by Field Marshal Sir John Dill
Whereas the Congress, having been informed of the death of Field Marshall Sir John Dill, in Washington, District of . . . — — Map (db m30690) HM
The dead from three years of Civil War filled all burial spaces in the area. In 1864, President Lincoln charged General Montgomery Meigs with locating a site for a new national cemetery. Arlington's high elevation and aesthetic beauty made it ideal, . . . — — Map (db m70711) HM
[on base of statue by Edward Clark Potter, south face:]
New Jersey honors her most distinguished soldier. Erected 1914
[north face:] Major General Philip Kearny
Born June 1, 1814 . . . — — Map (db m22087) HM
Selina Gray, her husband, and their eight children lived in the room to your right. She was Mrs. Lee's personal maid and later the head housekeeper. Her parents had been Mt. Vernon slaves, so she grew up steeped in the lore of George Washington. . . . — — Map (db m70500) HM
The American Legion
In memory of
Ignace Jan Paderewski
artist, composer, musician, statesman, patriot, humanitarian and friend of American war veterans, who, from his death to the rebirth of freedom in his homeland, here rested in honor . . . — — Map (db m11133) HM
Large estates customarily had a vegetable garden and summer kitchen near the main house. Slaves gathered fresh produce, prepared it in the summer kitchen, and carried it directly to the main dining room.
Arlington’s garden extended from the . . . — — Map (db m71606) HM
“The beginning of the end of war lies in remembrance.”Herman Wouk
In sacred memory of those Americans who gave their lives during the Korean War, 1950 - 1953.
54,246 Died. 8,177 Missing in Action. 389 . . . — — Map (db m18005) WM
Original marker: The officers and crew attached to the U. S. Steamer Lancaster, Flag Officer J. B. Montgomery, on her first cruise in these seas, erect this monument in memory of shipmates who died and are buried here.
Bronze . . . — — Map (db m100123) WM
This Oak planted as a Memorial
to the WWII sailors who manned the U.S. Navy
Landing Craft Support Ships.
Was Dedicated By The National Association
of USS LCS(L) 1-130 On 26 August 1994.
"We were the Mighty Midgets...
The small . . . — — Map (db m62351) WM
In Memory Of
The Men of the Lexington Militia
Killed In Action • 19 April 1775
During the First Battle of the American Revolution
John Brown Robert Munroe
Samuel Hadley Isaac Muzzy
Caleb Harrington Jonas Parker . . . — — Map (db m62373) WM
Mary Randolph, wife of David Meade Randoph, and first person known to be buried at Arlington, was the eldest child of Thomas Mann and Ann Cary Randolph, of Tuckahoe. Her maternal grandfather was Archibald Cary, of Ampthill; Her paternal . . . — — Map (db m70511) HM
The United States Battleship MAINE exploded and sank in Havana Harbor, Cuba on February 15, 1898. The rallying cry, "Remember the MAINE" swept the nation, inciting public opinion and precipitating the Spanish-American War. In March, . . . — — Map (db m10977) HM
Reached the North Pole on April 6, 1909, with Robert E. Peary and four Polar Eskimos.
[Caption with image of group at Pole:] Ooqueah, Ootah, Henson, Egingwah, Seegloo.
Matthew Alexander Henson Re-interment . . . — — Map (db m11773) HM
[East face, top of the arch:]
Here rest 15,585 of the 315,555 citizens who died in defense of our country from 1861 to 1865.
"On fame's eternal camping ground their silent tents are spread, And glory guards with . . . — — Map (db m24587) HM
In World War II a total of 135 U.S. airmen were killed in action over Denmark where they were buried.
They defied danger to come to our assistance in our fight for freedom.
They will forever be remembered with Denmark's gratitude. — — Map (db m11851) HM
"The footprints of the Montford Point Marines were left on the beaches of Roi-Namur, Saipan, Guam, Peleliu, Iwo Jima, and Okinawa. The tides and winds have, long ago, washed them out into the seas of history; but, “The Chosen Few” in . . . — — Map (db m11472) HM
In remembrance of the two hundred and seventy people killed in the terrorist bombing of Pan American Airways Flight 103 over Lockerbie, Scotland 21 December 1988.
Presented by the Lockerbie Air Disaster Trust to the United States of America. . . . — — Map (db m10957) HM
Revolutionary Soldier, 1775-1783
Pierre Charles L’Enfant
Engineer, Artist, Soldier
under the direction of George Washington, designed the plan for the Federal City
Major US Engineer Corps 1782
Charter member of the Society of the . . . — — Map (db m10949) HM
R Adams Cowley
1st Lieutenant Medical Corps
United States Army
July 15, 1917 - October 27, 1991
Next to creating a life the finest thing a man can do is to save one
A . . . — — Map (db m99555) HM
Rear Admiral, USN; Civil Engineer, Explorer, Scientist
Invenium Viam Avt Facium
Erected by the National Geographic Society.
Dedicated April 6, 1922, by the President of the United States, the Chief Justice of the United . . . — — Map (db m14709) HM
250 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 50