Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

DeKalb County Georgia Historical Markers

 
4th A.C. at Durand's Mill Marker image, Touch for more information
By Felch Dumas, July 28, 2008
4th A.C. at Durand's Mill Marker
Georgia (DeKalb County), Atlanta — 044-28 — 4th A.C. at Durand's Mill
July 19, 1864. In deployment of Federal forces approaching Atlanta, it became necessary to fill a gap between those on Peachtree Rd. at the creek & Schofield’s 23d A.C. on Pea Vine Cr. at the Paden plantation (Emory University). Sherman directed . . . — Map (db m9764) HM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Atlanta — 044-84 — Alpha Delta PiMemorial Headquarters
Alpha Delta Pi Sorority was founded May 15, 1851 at Wesleyan College in Macon, Georgia, as the first secret society in the world for college women, and thus became the mother of the social sorority system. Wesleyan College was the first educational . . . — Map (db m28962) HM
Georgia (Dekalb County), Atlanta — 044-49 — An Unexpected Clash
July 22, 1864. The attack by Walker's & Bate's divs. (Hardee's A.C.) (C.S) struck the two brigades Mersy's & Rices's, of Sweeny's 16th A.C. div. (U.S.) enroute to support the 17th in E. Atlanta. Walker's troops came up Sugar Cr. valley from the . . . — Map (db m9245) HM
Georgia (Dekalb County), Atlanta — 044-47 — Bate’s Battle Line
July 22, 1864. Gen. Bate's div., Hardee's A.C. (CS) was deployed on the rt. of Walker's div. when they advanced N. from Terry's Mill pond. Being on the extreme rt. of the corps, Bate's troops moved up the east side of Sugar Cr., valley and swung . . . — Map (db m80157) HM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Atlanta — 044-53 — Bate's Div. at Terry's Mill Pond
July 22, 1864. Bate’s, together with Walker’s div., Hardee’s A.C., (CS) having moved up Sugar Cr. valley W. of Terry’s mill pond, were deployed in this area for a surprise attack on Federal troops posted N.W. of here on Flat Shoals Rd. While . . . — Map (db m18822) HM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Atlanta — 044-46 — Battle of Atlanta Began Here
July 22, 1864. Sweeny's 2nd. div., Dodge's 16th A.C. (US), having been held in reserve N. of the Ga. R.R. (Candler Park), was ordered to support the left wing of Blair's 17th Corps in East Atlanta. Marching via Clay Rd., Sweeny's column halted here . . . — Map (db m8889) HM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Atlanta — Brookhaven Historic DistrictNational Register of Historic Places
Historic Brookhaven is the first planned golf club community in Georgia, having been built around the Capital City Country Club between 1910 and 1940. — Map (db m14356) HM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Atlanta — 044-64 — Cleburne Outflanked Left Wing, 17th A.C.
July 22, 1864. The left wing (Giles Smith’s div., 17th A.C.) of McPherson’s Army of the Tenn. (US) occupied an intrenched line on Flat Shoals Rd. between Leggett’s Hill & Glenwood, where it hooked eastward, facing to the south. Gen. P.R. . . . — Map (db m9526) HM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Atlanta — 044-62 — Cleburne's & Maney's Divs.
July 22, 1864. These troops, with Walker’s and Bate’s divs., Hardee’s A.C. (CS) made a 15-mi. night march from Atlanta to attack the rear of McPherson’s Army of the Tenn. (US) posted on Flat Shoals Road in East Atlanta. Cleburne’s & Maney’s move . . . — Map (db m9575) HM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Atlanta — 044-65 — Cleburne's Div. in the Federal Rear
July 22, 1864. Cleburne’s 3 brigades, (CS) after over-running the Federal left (at Glenwood), moved on the rear of its line facing W. on Flat Shoals Rd., at the same time Maney’s div. (CS) attached its front. Beset on both sides Giles Smith’s 17th . . . — Map (db m9524) HM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Atlanta — 044-29 — Closing the Gap
July 20, 1864. A critical factor in the alignment of Federal troops moving on Atlanta, from Peachtree Creek valley, was a wide gap between Peachtree Rd. (the left of Thomas’ forces) & Schofield’s 23d A.C. posted at the intersection of N. Decatur & . . . — Map (db m9500) HM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Atlanta — 044-51 — Death of General Walker
July 22, 1864. Maj. Gen. W.H.T. Walker, commanding a div. of Hardee's A.C., (CS) while directing his troops toward the battlefield, reached a close proximity to this spot at noon where, pausing to reconnoiter the area, he was shot from horse by a . . . — Map (db m9571) HM
Georgia (Dekalb County), Atlanta — 044-45 — Death of McPherson
The monument in the enclosure was erected by U.S. Army Engineers to mark the site where Maj. Gen. James B. McPherson was killed during the Battle of Atlanta, July 22, 1864. McPherson rode S. from the Ga. R.R. when he heard firing in Sugar Cr. . . . — Map (db m8736) HM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Atlanta — 044-5 — Dodge's 16th A.C. Camp on Nancy's Creek
July 17, 1864. The march of the corps S. from the road-fork at Providence Church (Dunwoody) was opposed by Col. Geo. G. Dibrell's brigade of Wheeler's cav. [CS]. After a sharp skirmish, the 9th Illinois Mounted Infantry drove Dibrell across the . . . — Map (db m14307) HM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Atlanta — 044-27 — Durand's Mill
Water-powered sawmill & factory operated in the 1860’s by Samuel A. Durand (1822-1891), later on by Frederick A. Williams (1817-1883), whose name long designated the old road leading S.W. and now known, in sections, as Briarcliff and Williams Mill . . . — Map (db m9499) HM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Atlanta — 044-69 — Fuller's Div.16th A.C.
July 22, 1864. Gen. John Fuller's only brigade -- Morrill's, which was in reserve near Leggett's Hill, was deployed S.E. of here to meet the advance of Walker's div. (CS) up Sugar Cr. valley. While so engaged, Cleburne's 2 brigades -- Govan's & . . . — Map (db m74719) HM
Georgia (Dekalb County), Atlanta — 044-043 — Gresham's Division
July 20, 1864. Brig. Gen. Walter Q. Gresham's 4th div., leading the advance of the 17th A.C. (US) against Wheeler's Cav. (CS) & forcing it W. to Leggett's Hill, halted here at sundown. Leggett's 3d div. was brought forward & would have moved . . . — Map (db m8732) HM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Atlanta — 044-56 — Hardee at Road Fork
July 22, 1864. Hardee’s A.C. (4 divis.), (CS) moving N. to the battlefield, was divided into two columns at this road fork: Clebourne’s and Maney’s took the W. fork leading to E. Atlanta; Walker’s and Bate’s, the E. fork or Fayetteville Rd., as did . . . — Map (db m10412) HM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Atlanta — 044-57 — Hardee at Wm. Cobb’s House
July 22, 1864. Hardee’s A.C., (CS) consisting of 4 divisions, enroute N. to the rear of Federal forces in E. Atlanta, halted here at dawn to procure guides for a wilderness march ahead. Hardee, his staff & general officers rode to Wm. Cobb’s house . . . — Map (db m80155) HM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Atlanta — 044-58 — Hardee’s March Turned N.E. on Fayetteville Road
July 21, 1864. Theses troops and Wheeler’s Cav. (CS) were sent from Atlanta on a 15-mile night march to gain the rear of McPherson’s Army of the Tenn. (US) in E. Atlanta. Hardee moved out of the city via McDonough Rd. (Capital Avenue) and here . . . — Map (db m10234) HM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Atlanta — Historic Ground
This modern tv station, WAGA-TV stands in land lot 57 of the 18th District of the original Henry, now DeKalb County, near the south fork of Peachtree Creek, was erected in 1966. In July, 1864 the present Briarcliff Road was the route of the . . . — Map (db m9766) HM
Georgia (Dekalb County), Atlanta — 044-68 — Historic Ground --1864
In an area bound by Memorial Dr., Clifton, Glenwood & Moreland, was where the major part of the Battle of Atlanta was fought, July 22d. In terms of present landmarks, the battle began at Memorial Dr. & Clifton where Hardee's right wing (CS) was . . . — Map (db m8737) HM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Atlanta — Ivy Street
On June 3, 2005, the central road of this campus was formally named “Ivy Street,” in honor of the hallowed tradition associated with the original Marist campus on Ivy Street in downtown Atlanta. With 32 boys and five . . . — Map (db m14203) HM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Atlanta — 044-67 — Leggett's Hill
July 22, 1864. Blair’s 17th A.C., McPherson’s Army of the Tenn. (US) was aligned S. of Logan’s 15th astride the Ga. R.R. Leggett’s div. of the 17th held the line from Logan’s left, to & including the hill. An extension S.E. on Flat Shoals Rd. to . . . — Map (db m9521) HM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Atlanta — 044-40 — Logan’s 15th A.C. Line
July 20, 1864. Maj. Gen. John A. Logan’s A.C. having camped at Decatur, moved toward Atlanta on this rd. M.L. Smith’s (2d) div. was in advance; Woods’ (1st) & Harrow’s (4th), in reserve. At this point, 2.75 mi. from center of Atlanta, Smith’s . . . — Map (db m9765) HM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Atlanta — 044-9 — Logan’s 15th Corps & Garrard’s Cavalry
July 18, 1864. Logan’s 15th A.C., Army of the Tennessee [US], having detoured from the old Shallow Ford Rd. at the Rainey plantation (4 mi. W.) moved to this point where it joined Garrard’s cav. which, via McAfee's bridge (Chattahoochee River) & . . . — Map (db m33804) HM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Atlanta — Lophorhothon atopus“Crested Nose”
Lophorhothon atopus (Loh-FOUR-ah-thon ay-TOH-pus) “Crested Nose” Cretaceous Period (65- 144 million years ago) Southeastern United States This scene shows a family of Lophorhothon dinosaurs, as they may have . . . — Map (db m113593) HM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Atlanta — 044-63 — Maney's Div. in the Battle of Atlanta
Gen. George Maney, comdg. Cheatham’s old div. of Hardee’s A.C. (CS) at Peachtree Cr., July 20, led the div. July 22 in the Battle of Atlanta. Both Cleburne’s & Maney’s divs. advanced N.W. on Flat Shoals Road to attack the Federal 17th A.C. aligned . . . — Map (db m10411) HM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Atlanta — 044-44 — McPherson's Last Ride
July 22, 1864. When Gen. McPherson heard the firing to the S.E. while at lunchen (Whiteford Ave. at R.R.), he mounted his horse & sending away most of his staff on various missions, galloped south to this hill. Here he observed Dodge's 16th A.C. . . . — Map (db m8733) HM
Georgia (Dekalb County), Atlanta — 044-050 — Mersy’s Brigade
July 22, 1864. Col. August Mersy's brigade of Sweeny's div., 16th A.C. (US) was aligned on the rt. of the div. when it went into action to meet the assault of Walker's div. (CS) advancing up Sugar Creek valley (from Glenwood Ave.). The left of . . . — Map (db m8731) HM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Atlanta — 044-39 — Noon Under the Trees
July 22, 1864. Gen. McPerson & staff spent the forenoon in conference at Sherman's headquarters & inspecting Army of the Tenn. lines. Noon found them in an oak grove just S. of the R.R. where they were joined at luncheon by Logan & Blair, each with . . . — Map (db m8892) HM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Atlanta — 044-70 — Oglethorpe University
Chartered in 1835 by Georgia Presbyterians near Milledgeville, Oglethorpe University was the first denominational college established in the Deep South. It perished during the Civil War and was briefly revived from 1870 to 1872 in Atlanta. . . . — Map (db m14291) HM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Atlanta — 044-7 — Old Cross Keys
Ante-bellum crossroads settlement & Post Office; James Reeve (1792 - 1852) Post Master & merchant. Prior to 1864 the Post Office was removed to a point between Chamblee & Doraville where, name unchanged, it was known as Cross Keys Post Office. To . . . — Map (db m14052) HM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Atlanta — 044-41 — Restoring the Line
July 22, 1864. After Cheatham’s troops (CS) broke the Federal 15th A.C. line at the R.R. cut and the Hurt house (DeGress Ave.), Mersy’s 16th A.C. brigade was brought up from the battlefield 1 mile S. of the R.R. to assist in restoring it. . . . — Map (db m9515) HM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Atlanta — 044-11 — Site: Blake’s Mill
N. Fork Peachtree Creek. West of the road was the ante-bellum structure of a mill owned and operated by John Blake (1798-1854). July 18, 1864. Blair’s 17th A. C. of McPherson’s Army of the Tennessee (US Flag), enroute from Roswell to Decatur, . . . — Map (db m61961) HM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Atlanta — 044-58 — Site: Cobb’s Mill
On the E. side of Intrenchment Creek, just above the bridge, stood a grist mill operated by William Cobb, a DeKalb County pioneer. The mill was a notable landmark in the movement of Confederate forces to the field of the Battle of Atlanta, fought . . . — Map (db m80156) HM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Atlanta — 044-18 — Site: Henderson’s Mill
Some 300 ft N.W. stood the ante and post bellum grist mill owned and operated by Greenville Henderson (1792-1869) and his son Rufus (1823-1872). The flat, left and rt. of this road was the mill pond area; the mill was demolished, 1911. During . . . — Map (db m29122) HM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Atlanta — 044-12 — Solomon Goodwin’s Res.<------<<<<
The house on adjacent knoll, built 1831, by Solomon Goodwin (circa 1780-1850), oldest extant house in DeKalb County, was a landmark of Federal military operation in these environs during the summer of 1864. July 18. Hascall’s div., 23d A.C. having . . . — Map (db m28588) HM
Georgia (Dekalb County), Atlanta — 044-28 — Stanley & Wood March To Durand's Mill
July 19, 1864. When it became apparent that a wide gap existed in Federal troop deployment along Peachtree Cr. Between Peachtree Rd. & this, the old Williams Mill Rd., two divs. of Howard’s 4th A.C. were sent S.E. from Buckhead to this vicinity to . . . — Map (db m9448) HM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Atlanta — 044-037 — Sweeny's Division Encamped
July 21, 1864. Sweeny's div., Dodges 16th A.C. (US) was held in reserve some 24 hrs. in a line that crossed the S.W. area of Candler Park. These troops, of McPherson's Army of the Tenn., had moved from Decatur towards Atlanta the day before and . . . — Map (db m13538) HM
Georgia (Dekalb County), Atlanta — 044-38 — Sweeny's March South
July 22, 1864. Sweeny's 16th A.C. div., ordered to support the left of the Federal line in E. Atlanta, was shifted from its camp of the previous night, N. of the Georgia Railroad. It marched S. on the Clay Road (now Clay St). These troops had . . . — Map (db m8735) HM
Georgia (Dekalb County), Atlanta — 044-52 — Terry's Mill Pond
The flat area S. was the bed of Terry's mill pond - the impounded waters of Sugar Cr. Tom Terry (1823-1861) operated the grist mill that stood 800 yds. downstream. It was burned by Federal troops July 29, 1864 & was rebuilt and operated some years . . . — Map (db m8730) HM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Atlanta — 60-13 — The March to the Sea
On November 15, 1864, during the Civil War, U.S. forces under Gen. William T. Sherman set out from Atlanta on the March to the Sea, a military campaign designed to destroy the Confederacy's ability to wage war and break the will of its people to . . . — Map (db m102926) HM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Atlanta — 044-8 — The Rainey Plantation
July 18, 1864. The marching columns of the Army of the Tenn. (US), having diverged 5.5 mi. N.W., rejoined here when Dodge's 16th A.C. moved E. from Old Cross Keys to Rainey's. Blair's 17th A.C. moved 1.75 mi. S. on old Shallow Ford rd. & camped at . . . — Map (db m9417) HM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Atlanta — 044-10 — The Samuel House Plantation
The large brick residence built in 1857 by Samuel House (1798-1873) was a prominent landmark during military operations by Federal forces on the Atlanta front in July, 1864. Cox’s division of Schofield's 23rd A.C. reached this vicinity July 18; . . . — Map (db m28587) HM
Georgia (Dekalb County), Atlanta — This Line of Breastworks
This line of breastworks is a remnant of the city fortifications occupied by Confederate forces during the Siege of Atlanta July 22, - August 25, 1864. The line, which completely encircled the city, aggregated 12 miles of rifle pits and forts . . . — Map (db m10238) HM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Atlanta — 044-42 — Wheeler Delays Blair
McPherson's Army of the Tenn. (US) seized Decatur July 19, 1864 & on the 20th moved towards Atlanta in two columns - the 15th & 16th A.C. via the Ga. R.R., the 17th by roads S. of it where Wheeler's Cav.,(CS) guarding the right of Atlanta's outer . . . — Map (db m8894) HM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Atlanta — 044-66 — Wheeler's Cav. Intrenched
July 20, 1864. Wheeler’s thin gray line of dismounted cavalry (CS) was the rt. Flank of Atlanta’s defenders. Forced W. from Clay St. in the afternoon by Blair’s 17th A.C., (US) Wheeler’s line ran S. from the Ga. R.R. to this hill. July 21. Before . . . — Map (db m9516) HM
Georgia (Dekalb County), Atlanta — 044-13 — Wm. Johnston's Mill
About 0.3 mile upstream N. Fork Peachtree Cr., is the site of a mill owned by Wm. Johnston (1789-1855), -a landmark of Federal military operations in the Summer of 1864. Schofield’s 23d A.C., having crossed the Chattahoochee River at Isom’s Ferry . . . — Map (db m9438) HM
Georgia (Dekalb County), Avondale Estates — 044-90 — The Gutzon Borglum HouseAvondale Estates — 1924-1925
Guzon Borglum, the world famous sculptor of Mt. Rushmore and the first man to work on the Confederate Memorial carving on Stone Mountain, lived in this house from 1924 to 1925. He had begun the Stone Mountain carving in 1923 with his plan that . . . — Map (db m9592) HM
Georgia (Dekalb County), Avondale Estates — 44-2 — The Waffle House
At this location, on Labor Day 1955, Avondale Estates neighbors Joe Rogers, Sr., and Tom Forkner founded the first Waffle House restaurant. The name was inspired by the most popular item on the original menu. The restaurant's focus on fast-food . . . — Map (db m59307) HM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Chamblee — 044-91 — 1917 ✯ Camp Gordon ✯ 1919
Constructed during America´s rush to mobilize for World War I, Camp Gordon was one of 16 temporary training camps, the largest in the southern states and the focus of Atlanta´s wartime patriotic spirit. It served as birthplace and training ground . . . — Map (db m14570) HM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Chamblee — 044-92 — 1941 ✯ Naval Air Station Atlanta ✯ 1959
Anticipating America´s involvement in a second world war, the government returned to the site of Camp Gordon in October 1940 and over the next seven months constructed a 400-acre Naval Reserve Aviation Base at the DeKalb County Airport. . . . — Map (db m14571) HM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Conley — 044-61 — Stewart’s & Lee’s A.C. March to Lovejoy’s Sta.
Hardee’s command, [CS] defeated at Jonesboro, Aug. 31, 1864, was depleted by the withdrawal of S.D. Lee’s A.C. before results of the battle were known in Atlanta. Hood, anticipating a Federal attack at East Point, ordered Lee toward Atlanta. He left . . . — Map (db m44053) HM
Georgia (Dekalb County), Decatur — Battle of Decatur
. . . — Map (db m8756) HM
Georgia (Dekalb County), Decatur — 044-29.5 — DeKalb County
DeKalb County, created by Act of General Assembly Dec. 9, 1822 and including Fulton County until 1853, was named for Baron Johann DeKalb, a native German who fought gallantly for American freedom. Wounded and captured at the Battle of Camden, S.C., . . . — Map (db m8753) HM
Georgia (Dekalb County), Decatur — 044-19 — Dodge's & Blair's Columns Separate
July 19th, 1864. Blair's 17th A.C. followed by Dodge's 16th (US), having camped near Blake's Mill, 6 mi. N. on the old Shallow Ford Rd. the night before, moved S. to this point where their lines of march diverged. Dodge's troops continued S. on . . . — Map (db m8759) HM
Georgia (Dekalb County), Decatur — Dr. Chapmon Powell’s “Medicine House” and W.J. Houston Plantation
About 1826, Dr. Chapmon Powell erected a log cabin beside the Shallowford Trail near this site. His Indian patients called it the “Medicine House.” His cabin had been relocated onto this site by 1863 when Powell’s son-in-law, Washington . . . — Map (db m9361) HM
Georgia (Dekalb County), Decatur — 044-82 — Garrard’s Cavalry Raid
On July 20, 1864, Union forces under Maj. Gen. W.T. Sherman, USA, were closing in on Atlanta. Hq. 2nd Cavlary Division (US), Brg. Gen Kenner Garrard, was in Decatur. His three brigades were scattered from Decatur to Roswell, guarding bridges over . . . — Map (db m8754) HM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Decatur — 44-1 — Georgia Railway and Power Company Trolley Waiting Station
The Georgia Railway and Power Company, predecessor of Georgia Power, built this trolley waiting station in 1923. The waiting station served Druid Hills residential development when the streetcar line on Ponce de Leon Avenue was extended from . . . — Map (db m29074) HM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Decatur — Historic Decatur Cemetery
The oldest known publicly owned burial ground in metro Atlanta, the Decatur Cemetery is believed to predate the city’s 1823 incorporation. The first written record is an 1832 act of legislature providing “Commissioners for the Decatur Burial . . . — Map (db m9685) HM
Georgia (Dekalb County), Decatur — Houston Mill Millstone
From the Houston Mill built in 1873 Owned by Maj. W.J. Houston Purchased from Dr. Chapmon Powell Millstone removed in 1974 Mill site destroyed in 1983 Donated by Joseph Augustine Sams Bond Moved to Old Courthouse Grounds October 2001 by . . . — Map (db m31589) HM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Decatur — July 22, 1864
This cemetery was the scene of an engagement between 8th Confederate Cavalry Col. J. S. Prather commanding and a large force of Federal troops. The latter were repulsed and 225 prisoners taken. — Map (db m29168) HM
Georgia (Dekalb County), Decatur — 044-20 — Logan's 15th & Blair's 17th A.C. to Decatur
July 19, 1864. Logan's troops, in "light fighting order" left camp at Henderson's mill (0.8 mile N.E.), at 5 A.M. & marched to Decatur. They were joined at this point by Blair's corps which had camped at Blake's Mill, 2 miles west. Both corps, . . . — Map (db m8761) HM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Decatur — 044-69 — Mary Gay House
Author, poet, historian and Confederate heroine - Mary Ann Harris Gay (1828-1918) lived in this house from 1850 to 1914. She is best known for her Life in Dixie During the War which describes the Union Siege of Atlanta and the tribulations of the . . . — Map (db m9427) HM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Decatur — 044-24 — Site: J. Oliver Powell House Sherman's H'dq'rs
West of this point 75ft., was the ante-bellum residence of James Oliver Powell (1826-1873), Sherman's headquarters, July 19, 1864. Sherman traveled with Schofield's 23d A.C. from the Chattahoochee River as Power's Fy. July 17 & arrived here July . . . — Map (db m13996) HM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Decatur — 044-25 — Site: Judge James Paden House: Gen. J.D. Cox’s H’dq’rs
The Federal 23d A.C., Army of the Ohio, reached this vicinity via Old Shallow Ford Rd. (Clairmont) & N. Decatur Rd., evening of July 19, 1864. This was the N.E. sector of Sherman’s approach to Atlanta. Cox’s (3d) div. bivouacked E. of Pea Vine Cr. . . . — Map (db m9922) HM
Georgia (Dekalb County), Decatur — 044-1 — Steatite Boulder
This steatite boulder was found on the site of a prehistoric quarry along Soapstone Ridge 8 miles south of Decatur. It shows the methods of Indians in making stone bowls, with the first girdling of the stone to remove workable cores. It is estimated . . . — Map (db m8752) HM
Georgia (Dekalb County), Decatur — 044-23 — The 16th & 23d Corps March to Decatur
July 19, 1864. Dodge's 16th A.C., having camped on N. Fork Peachtree Cr., moved S. on old Shallowford Rd. to this point where it joined Schofield's 23d, which had marched S.E. from Goodwin's Crossing (Brookhaven), along roads now designated . . . — Map (db m9362) HM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Decatur — The Beacon Community
Side 1: The Beacon Community was the center of Decatur’s African American community until its demolition by the Urban Renewal programs of the mid-1960s. Bounded by N. McDonough Street on the east, W. Trinity Place on the north, Water . . . — Map (db m29260) HM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Decatur — 044-21 — The March to Decatur
McPherson's Army of the Tenn. (US), consisting of the 15th, 16th, & 17th corps, having crossed the river at Roswell, made a wide swing S.E. to cut the Georgia R.R. at & E. of Decatur. Logan's 15th A.C. was the extreme left; posted at Browning . . . — Map (db m8886) HM
Georgia (Dekalb County), Decatur — 044-80 — The Stoneman Raid
In July, 1864, Maj. Gen W.T. Sherman's army (US) closed in on Atlanta. Finding its fortifications "too strong to assault and too extensive to invest," he sought to force its fall by sending Maj. Gen. Geo. Stoneman, with three brigades (2112 men and . . . — Map (db m8723) HM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Decatur — 044-30 — The Swanton House
Ante-bellum residence of Benjamin F. Swanton; once the property of Ammi Williams, a DeKalb County pioneer. Built prior to 1842. In 1864 the Swanton family was in residence here when the Federal Army of the Tennessee occupied Decatur. This force . . . — Map (db m9364) HM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Decatur — Trail to Standing Peachtree and Houston Chapel
This ancient trail led west to the Indian village of Standing Peachtree. It joined the Shallowford Trail near this spot linking it with trade routes to Stone Mountain. Later becoming a road it was among the first authorized when DeKalb County was . . . — Map (db m9923) HM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Decatur — 044-55 — Walker & Bate At Sugar Cr.
July 22, 1864. Walker’s & Bate’s divs. of Hardee’s A.C. (CS) enroute to the rear of the 17th A.C. (US) in E. Atlanta, detoured here along the W. bank of the creek to keep contact with Cleburne’s & Maney’s divs. (CS) moving upon the Federal left . . . — Map (db m10230) HM
Georgia (Dekalb County), Decatur — 044-31 — Wheeler’s Cav. at Decatur
July 22, 1864. Coincident with Hardee's night march to attack Federal forces in E. Atlanta, Wheeler's cavalry (CS) was sent to seize McPherson's wagon trains parked N. of the Decatur public square, guarded by Sprague's 16th A.C. brigade & three . . . — Map (db m8887) HM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Doraville — 044-4 — Garrard's Cavalry at Buchanan's
J. W. Buchanan’s residence, which stood on the Old Hightower Trail, where Peachtree Road crosses, was a landmark of Federal troop movements in July, 1864. July 17, Garrard’s cav., operating on the left of McPherson’s Army of the Tenn., . . . — Map (db m40476) HM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Dunwoody — Hightower Indian Trail
The Hightower (English version of “Etowah”) Indian trail passed here in its route from East Georgia to the mountains of North Georgia. To the northwest, it crossed a ford on the Chattahoochee River at Roswell. This trade and travel path . . . — Map (db m50372) HM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Dunwoody — 044-3 — Logan's & Blair's Camp Nancy's Creek
July 17, 1864. Dodge's 16th A.C., together with Logan's 15th & Blair's 17th (US), having left Roswell by Shallow Ford Rd. enroute to Decatur, diverged from the column at the road - fork 2.5 mi. N.W. & moved towards Old Cross Keys. Logan & Blair came . . . — Map (db m53100) HM
Georgia (Dekalb County), Dunwoody — 044-2 — McPherson's Divergent Line of March
July 17, 1864. At this road-fork (near old Providence Church), the 16th A.C. of the Army of the Tenn. (US), enroute from Roswell to Decatur, moved by the west fork towards Nancy's Creek where it camped near old Cross Keys. The 15th A.C., followed . . . — Map (db m9414) HM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Lithonia — 044-88 — Rebecca Latimer Felton
Birthplace of Rebecca Ann Latimer (1835-1930), daughter of Chas. and Eleanor (Swift) Latimer, pioneer settles at this point on the Decatur-Covington road. Married in 1853 to Dr. William H. Felton, later Member of Congress and a trustee of the . . . — Map (db m33831) HM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Lithonia — 044-85 — The March to the Sea
On Nov. 15, 1864, after destroying Atlanta and cutting his communications with the North, Maj. Gen. W.T. Sherman, USA, began his destructive campaign for Savannah – the March to the Sea. He divided his army (US) into two wings. The Right Wing . . . — Map (db m9936) HM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Lithonia — 044-86 — The March to the Sea
On Nov. 15, 1864, after destroying Atlanta and cutting his communications with the. North, Maj. Gen. W. T. Sherman, USA, began his destructive campaign for Savannah -- the March to the Sea. He divided his army [USA] into two wings. The Right wing . . . — Map (db m33818) HM
Georgia (Dekalb County), Stone Mountain — Covered Bridge
"Covered bridges" or "lattice bridges" were common throughout the Eastern U.S, during the nineteenth century. This bridge formerly spanned the North Fork of the Oconee River in the city of Athens, Ga.. connecting College Avenue and Hobson . . . — Map (db m11054) HM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Stone Mountain — 044-16 — Garrard's Cavalry at Stone Mtn. Depot
July 18, 1864. Garrard’s cav. div. & Lightburn’s 15th A.C. (US) brigade moved from Browning’s Court House (TUCKER), to this vicinity & destroyed 2 miles of Ga. R.R. track, several culverts, & the water tank. July 19. Long’s & Miller’s brigades, . . . — Map (db m9933) HM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Stone Mountain — 044-54B — Hightower (Etowah) Trail
Hightower (Etowah) Trail, one of the best marked Indian Trails in Georgia, was a much used crossover between two of the noted Trading Paths radiating from Augusta. Recognized as a former boundary between Cherokee and Creek lands, a part of it . . . — Map (db m33433) HM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Stone Mountain — Stone Mountain - Confederate Memorial
Tablet #1 There is a true glory and a true honor: the glory of duty done - the honor of the integrity of principle. Robert E. Lee Tablet #2 So, my son, when in the conflict of life the cloud and the darkness come stand . . . — Map (db m87443) WM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Stone Mountain — L1 — Stone Mountain CemeteryForever Comrades — March to the Sea Heritage Trail
On July 18 & 19, 1864, during the Atlanta Campaign, Union Brigadier General Kenner Garrard's cavalry division raided Stone Mountain. They skirmished with the Confederate cavalry brigade of Colonel George G. Dibrell, destroyed two miles of railroad . . . — Map (db m113346) HM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Stone Mountain — The Country Comes Before Me
Tablet #1 The richer, the wiser, the more powerful a man is, the greater is the obligation upon him to employ his gifts in the lessening of that sum of human misery. John Randolph Tablet #2 Those who labor in the earth . . . — Map (db m87449) WM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Stone Mountain — 044-87 — The March to the Sea
On Nov. 15, 1864, after destroying Atlanta and cutting his communications with the. North, Maj. Gen. W. T. Sherman, USA, began his destructive campaign for Savannah -- the March to the Sea. He divided his army {US] into two wings. The Right Wing . . . — Map (db m33820) HM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Stone Mountain — 044-42A — Unknown Confederate Dead
Here sleep, known but to God, approximately one hundred and fifty Confederate soldiers, most of whom died from disease, or wounds in the Confederate hospitals that were located near this spot. Some were killed in a skirmish with Federal raiders near . . . — Map (db m33798) HM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Tucker — 044-14 — Browning's Courthouse
At or near this crossroads stood the J.P. office of Browning’s Militia District No. 572; cited in reports of Federal military operations July, 1864, as Browning’s Court House. July 18. Logan’s 15th A.C., enroute from Roswell to Decatur, detoured . . . — Map (db m9925) HM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Tucker — 044-22 — Federal Left Wing to Decatur
July 19, 1864. The 15th & 17th, two of three corps, McPherson’s Army of the Tenn., forming the left wing of Sherman’s forces advancing on Atlanta, came this way on the last day of their march from Roswell to Decatur. The other corps, Dodge’s . . . — Map (db m50393) HM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Tucker — 044-15 — Garrard's & Lightburn's to Stone Mountain
The principal object of the wide swing of Federal forces S.E. from Roswell, where they crossed the Chattahoochee, was to cut the Ga. R.R. at & near Stone Mountain, thereby isolating Atlanta from the east. Pursuant to plan, Logan’s 15th A.C. was . . . — Map (db m9924) HM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Tucker — 044-17 — Logan’s Corps Moves to Henderson’s Mill
July 18, 1864. Logan’s troops, having detoured from Shallow Fd. Rd. to Browning’s Court House (TUCKER), to co-operate with Garrard’s cav, in the destruction of the Georgia R.R. at Stone Mtn., remained in this vicinity while Lightburn’s brigade was . . . — Map (db m29106) HM

95 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.