Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Osceola County Florida Historical Markers

 
Illahaw Marker with neighboring Nittaw Station marker image, Touch for more information
By Tim Fillmon, October 30, 2018
Illahaw Marker with neighboring Nittaw Station marker
Florida (Osceola County), Kenansville — Illahaw
Illahaw was a small turpentine operation located near here on the Florida East Coast RR owned by Henry Flagler. It had a post office in 1923 which closed in 1935. Once the pine trees were all cut down, the mill closed. RR services ended in 1947. . . . — Map (db m128662) HM
Florida (Osceola County), Kenansville — F-673 — Kenansville School
This building was constructed in 1917 on five acres of land with $6,000 donated from the estate of Mrs. Mary Lily Kenan Flagler Bingham, (1867-1917), wife of Henry Flagler, the owner and promoter of the Florida East Coast Railroad. Kenansville . . . — Map (db m72612) HM
Florida (Osceola County), Kenansville — Nittaw Station
Once part of Henry Flagler's Florida East Coast Railway, Nittaw was a stop on the railroad that ran from Wewahootie to Okeechobee. Nittaw became a sawmill town, maintaining a small population and post office. The closing of the Okeechobee Rail Line . . . — Map (db m128663) HM
Florida (Osceola County), Kissimmee — F-1031 — Historic St. John's Episcopal Church
This Carpenter Gothic style church was completed in 1889. Originally located in downtown Kissimmee on the northwest corner of Sproule Avenue and Mitchell Street, the church was dedicated by Bishop Edwin Gardner Weed in 1890. Electricity had not yet . . . — Map (db m136022) HM
Florida (Osceola County), Kissimmee — F-304 — Osceola County
Osceola County was created in May, 1887 from portions of Orange and Brevard Counties. One of its sponsors was Senator J. Milton Bryan, who suggested the new county be named for Osceola, the great Seminole warrior. The new county was Florida's . . . — Map (db m54022) HM
Florida (Osceola County), St. Cloud — F-856 — First National Bank/St. Cloud Chamber of Commerce
St. Cloud's First National Bank opened in 1910. This narrow, two story Masonry Vernacular structure was built from locally produced sand brick, wood beams, and concrete block. St. Cloud residents subscribed over $100,000 of capital stock, twice as . . . — Map (db m96945) HM
Florida (Osceola County), St. Cloud — F-936 — Grand Army of the Republic Building
The Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) was a nationwide organization founded in 1866 for Union veterans of the Civil War. The town of St. Cloud was founded in 1909 as a community for Union veterans. The L.L. Mitchell Post #34, named for the first . . . — Map (db m112312) HM
Florida (Osceola County), St. Cloud — F-95 — Hamilton Disston Sugar Plantation
In 1885, Hamilton Disston, Pennsylvania industrialist and pioneer Florida promoter, established an extensive experimental sugar plantation on the drained lands around St. Cloud. The enterprise, part of Disston's promotional scheme, prospered for . . . — Map (db m72623) HM
Florida (Osceola County), St. Cloud — F-845 — Sugar Belt Railway/VFW Post
The Sugar Belt Railway Line, built in 1889 by Hamilton Disston, transported sugar and citrus between the town of Narcoossee and Kissimmee. The train made the return trip after being reversed on a turntable at Narcoossee operated by muscle power. The . . . — Map (db m96946) HM
Florida (Osceola County), St. Cloud — F-309 — The Thunderstorm Project
On a typical summer afternoon thunderstorms will be seen in the skies surrounding this site. So common they are often ignored, thunderstorms are nevertheless vital to the State's economy. They provide most of Florida's annual rainfall, but . . . — Map (db m54028) HM
Florida (Osceola County), St. Cloud — F-903 — Veterans Memorial Library
The Ladies Improvement Club of St. Cloud organized in 1910 for the betterment of the community through civic projects and the advocacy of literacy. The club established a small area in the Sugar Belt Railway depot for books and magazines for . . . — Map (db m102976) HM
Florida (Osceola County), Yeehaw Junction — F-369 — The Desert Inn
The Desert Inn was founded as a trading post in the late 1880s. The present building dates before 1925 and served as a supply and recreational center for cattle drovers, lumber men and tourists during the era when much of Osceola County was still . . . — Map (db m3256) HM

12 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement