Site of Alabama's first permanent capital 1820-26. County seat Dallas County, 1820-66. Prison for Union soldiers during the War Between the States 1863-65. Indians were the first inhabitants over 4000 years ago. Their large fortified village could . . . — — Map (db m75779) HM
Marker Front: The Beloit Industrial Institute was founded in 1888 by Industrial Missionary Association, an area subdivision of the American Missionary Associations. The President of the Association, Dr. Charles B. Curtis, was a Presbyterian . . . — — Map (db m83504) HM
This engraving of the Union Prison at Cahaba was published in 1877 by Benson J. Lossing. The stockade had already been removed, so the details of the brick structure are visible. The artist apparently was in a boat in the Alabama River, behind you . . . — — Map (db m83506) HM
Alabama's first statehouse stood on this lot, but no drawing by a person who actually saw it has been found. It was built in 1819 and destroyed in 1833, before the invention of photography. There are many drawings of the statehouse, but all are pure . . . — — Map (db m75908) HM
The Cahaba Drug Store once covered this cellar hole. It was operated by Herbert Hudson and J. D. Craig.
On the same lot were T. L. Craig's large family grocery, Coleman's dry goods store, and Fellows' Jewelry.
All these men were related . . . — — Map (db m23008) HM
This stone marks the site of Cahaba, selected November 21, 1818 as the first permanent capital of Alabama. The seat of goverment remaining here until removed to Tuscaloosa by the Legislature, January 1825.
On December 13, 1819, it was fixed as . . . — — Map (db m22609) HM
In 1818, Alabama's first governor carved the capital city of Cahawba out of the wilderness. In less than 50 years, Cahawba grew from a frontier capital full of log cabins to one of America's wealthiest communities, with some of the finest . . . — — Map (db m83508) HM
The Union soldiers held captive in Cahaba's Civil War Prison, called the place Castle Morgan in honor of a daring Confederate raider. In 1888 Jesse Hawes published a book about his imprisonment in Castle Morgan. He drew this diagram from memory. . . . — — Map (db m22668) HM
In 1858, the railroad company graded away an Indian mound that stood here. A brick warehouse was built in its place. From 1863 - 1865 the Confederate government used this warehouse to hold captured Federal Soldiers. You are standing on a pile of . . . — — Map (db m22666) HM
This cellar was under Joseph Babcock's brick store. During the Civil War the building was used as a commissary.
Babcock's warehouse and cotton shed were located to your right on the bluff overlooking the river. The family home, kitchen, and . . . — — Map (db m23287) HM
A "row" was a 19th century shopping mall. The word was used when a building or block had several similar storefronts arranged in a straight line or row.
This cellar marks the spot where David and Nicholas Crocheron built a large 2 story brick . . . — — Map (db m83509) HM
The grassed over mound of brick before you was once Dallas County's courthouse. This courthouse was built in 1834. It was dismantled prior to 1905 by brick salvagers.
Cahawba was the county seat from 1818 to 1866. This brought a lot of people, . . . — — Map (db m23010) HM
St. Luke's Episcopal Church was built at Cahawba in 1854 but was dismantled and moved sometime after 1884 but before 1888. It was reassembled fifteen miles away in a rural community called Martin's Station. The raised outline before you indicates . . . — — Map (db m83510) HM
In 1866, shortly after the Civil War and a severe flood, the county seat was moved from Cahaba to Selma. Residents rapidly abandoned the town. Many homes were dismantled and reassembled elsewhere.
Despite this trend, returning Confederate . . . — — Map (db m83516) HM
On January 20th, 1865, Major Hanchett lead a daring, but unsuccessful escape from the military prison that was located on this spot.
He was then moved to the dungeon of the county jail, located on First North Street. In March the other Union . . . — — Map (db m22669) HM
Burials in this cemetery, which served Cahaba from 1848 to 1900, tell a story of the town in which many deaths resulted from diseases of infancy, childhood and early adult life, Yellow Fever being a large factor because of proximity to Gulf of . . . — — Map (db m23322) HM
This site was set aside by the 1820 General Assembly, burials here date from 1818 to 1847. Interred are some of the state's earliest figures. There is no record of names, many handsome tombs have been destroyed, seven marked ones remaining, six are . . . — — Map (db m23355) HM
This artesian well was drilled to serve a factory which did not materialize. It was then used to water the grounds, a garden and pastures. In addition, by forcing water through pipes into his $50,000 home, E. M. Perine, a merchant prince, had the . . . — — Map (db m83518) HM
In the late 1850s, Cahaba experienced a building boom. Everyone expected the town to prosper because of the new railroad. One of the first large brick structures built in this prosperous period was completed in 1856 by Dr. Saltmarsh.
He wanted . . . — — Map (db m23009) HM
This structure collapsed in 1833 and its fallen remains were reportedly heaped into a railroad embankment. Consequently, we have no picture of the Statehouse that was drawn by someone who actually saw the building. Any modern picture you see of this . . . — — Map (db m75909) HM
St. Luke's was consecrated in 1854. It was an outstanding example of the Gothic Revival style, popular at the time. The contractor closely followed designs in a widely circulated book, Rural Architecture, published in 1852 by the celebrated . . . — — Map (db m75922) HM
The Crocherons were from Staten Island, New York. Richard Conner Crocheron arrived in town about 1837 to help run the family store. He traveled north for his bride in 1843 after building her this brick home. The back wall adjoined the brick store . . . — — Map (db m22870) HM
In 1889, Samuel and Sarah Kirkpatrick moved to Selma, leaving their farm and house in the capable hands of their son Clifton (1863-1930). He turned the abandoned remains of Alabama's first capital into a showcase farm of diversified, scientific . . . — — Map (db m23005) HM
By 1858 many brick stores had been built in Cahaba, so everyone called this the "old brick store." Merchant Sam M. Hill turned the building into one huge dry goods store where shoppers could buy just about anything!
Col. Hill, like most of the . . . — — Map (db m23242) HM
Vine Street was Cahawba's business district. Stores, offices and hotels were tightly packed together along these three blocks. Homes were scattered over an entire square mile. Nearly every house had a yard of one or two acres. — — Map (db m83520) HM
Frank Orr and his brother, William, settled Orrville in the early 1800's with a very strong religious group of people. A church was soon organized and a place of worship was built on this site in 1846. The church was known as the Methodist Episcopal . . . — — Map (db m23003) HM
A Cumberland Presbyterian church named Mt. Pleasant was organized here about 1821 by Rev. William James Moor, a missionary from the Elk Presbytery of Tennessee. Renamed Mount Carmel in 1827, this church provided early leadership for the Ala. . . . — — Map (db m75777) HM
This Greek revival mansion was built c. 1853 for William B. King and named “Fairoaks” for the many trees found about the place. King was the nephew of Vice President William Rufus King. Ann B. Wilson, a half-sister of the builder, . . . — — Map (db m83521) HM
Anvil used in Selmas Confederate Arsenal to make armament for Southern forces.
Presented to Sturdivant Museum Association April 1, 1961 by the Southern Railway Company which as the Selma, Rome and Dalton Railroad Company purchased the anvil . . . — — Map (db m37690) HM
This memorial marks the site of the Arsenal, a unit of the Great Ordnance Works in Selma destroyed by the Union Army April 6, 1865.
These ordnance works stood second only to those of Richmond in the manufacture of war materials for the . . . — — Map (db m37661) HM
'Bloody Sunday' Attack at Edmund Pettus Bridge
A voting registration campaign in 1965 turned tragic Feb. 17 when an Alabama state trooper fatally shot Jimmie Lee Jackson in Marion. It prompted a protest march from . . . — — Map (db m81944) HM
Colonys north boundary
Alabama - Mississippi
at this point on 32° 28
by edict of British king.
Colony extended south to Gulf.
France had ceded area in 1763.
Spain invaded, seized area in 1780.
Britain . . . — — Map (db m37644) HM
"Of all the nights of my experience, this is most like the horrors of war — a captured city burning at night, a victorious army advancing, and a demoralized one retreating. ...this Sunday night nearly gone, will be remembered. If there is a . . . — — Map (db m82744) HM
On May 3. 1941, the largest flying field in the United States, military or civilian, opened its gates as a new unit of the Southeast Air Corps Training Center, where flying cadets received advanced schooling in the handling of multi-mile-a-minute . . . — — Map (db m92359) HM
In Honor and Memory of
our Veterans who Served in
the Korean War
1950 — 1953
✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯
Against overwhelming odds our valiant
service men and women withstood
the . . . — — Map (db m82043) WM
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay
down his life for his friends. St. John, 15-13
Erected in grateful humility to the enduring
memory of those of Dallas County whose
names appear hereon who made the supreme . . . — — Map (db m83522) WM
Here fell brave men
in defense of their homes
April 2, 1865.
Col. William T. Minter
Rev. Arthur M. Small
Robert N. Philpot
and other valiant soldiers
“They fought and fell
they served us well" Lest We . . . — — Map (db m83576) HM
Edmund Pettus Bridge
has been designated a
National Historic Landmark
This site possesses national significance for its
association with "Bloody Sunday," a seminal event in the
Civil Rights Movement. Here, on March 7, 1965, . . . — — Map (db m82037) HM
Edmund Winston Pettus, lawyer, General C.S.A., U.S. Senator, was born Limestone County, Alabama, 1821.
Admitted to bar, 1842.
Moved to Cahaba, 1858.
Major, C.S.A., 1861.
Brigadier General, 1863.
U.S. Senator, 1897-1907.
Resided here . . . — — Map (db m38273) HM
Once a gracious turn-of-the-century neighborhood, many of the homes here were close to condemnation when purchased by Circle “S” Industries, Inc. in 1980. In all, 12 Victorian cottages were renovated in the area.
Built between 1870 . . . — — Map (db m37651) HM
Highlights of Selma History
Dallas County was created by Territorial Legislature Feb. 9, 1818. Selma Land Company formed Mar. 19, 1819 by George Phillips, William Rufus King, Jesse Beene, Gilbert Shearer and Caleb Tate. . . . — — Map (db m37679) HM
The demonstration that led to the most important advance in civil rights for millions of Black Americans began here March 21, 1965. It was the 50-mile march from Selma to Montgomery, Alabama, the State Capital.
Defying threats of death, Dr. . . . — — Map (db m83578) HM
Rev. James J. Reeb, an Army Veteran and Unitarian minister from Casper, Wyoming, was working in Boston when Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. appealed for clergymen of all faiths to come to Selma to protest the violence that occurred at the Edmund Pettus . . . — — Map (db m37683) HM
By 6pm General James H. Wilson had moved the 4th U.S. Cavalry, down Summerfield Road through the outer works and had ordered Captain Robinson of the Chicago Board of Trade Battery to do the same. After the main assault most of the regiments of . . . — — Map (db m81930) HM
This was the residence of John Tyler Morgan (1824-1907), one of Alabamas most honored political and military leaders. Constructed in 1859 by Thomas R. Wetmore, it was purchased by Morgan in 1865, and served for many years as his principal . . . — — Map (db m37676) HM
Central Masonic Institute of Alabama acquired property 1847 and erected building. Confederate Hospital during War Between the States. Dallas County Courthouse (1866-1901) on removal of County Seat from Cahaba. Presbyterian High School for Boys in . . . — — Map (db m37656) HM
Hardie's Reserve Cavalry Battalion, about 500 strong were ordered to Selma from Talladega. They were placed along the railroad track to the right and Left of the Depot. This makeshift defensive line was made of the railroad bed, the Depot, cotton . . . — — Map (db m82756) HM
This Greek Revival house was built circa 1850 by Thomas Helm Lee, master builder and owner of early Selma lumber yard. Born in Kentucky, he was the son of Miller Lee of Buckingham County, Virginia and married Mary Jane Blanks of Cahaba in 1839. He . . . — — Map (db m37674) HM
Erected by the Citizens of Selma
to Commemorate the Heroism of
Lieutenant John Tillman Melvin
United States Navy, R.F.
Born Selma, Alabama Oct. 16, 1887
Among the first to volunteer and the first American Naval officer killed in action . . . — — Map (db m37660) HM
East portion reserved for graveyard, 1829; west part purchased City of Selma, 1877.
Here are buried:
William Rufus King, 1786-1853, Vice President of U.S. 1853.
John Tyler Morgan, 1824-1907, U.S. Senator, Brig. Gen. C.S.A.
Edmund . . . — — Map (db m37653) HM
Defender of Selma
Wizard of the Saddle
The First With the Most
This monument stands as testament of
our perpetual devotion and respect
for Lt. Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest
CSA, . . . — — Map (db m92363) HM WM
This Greek Revival dwelling was built c. 1850 by Dr. Albert Gallatin Mabry, a prominent physician and member of the Alabama Legislature. Dr. Mabry was a leader in organizing the Alabama State Medical Association and instrumental in passing . . . — — Map (db m83580) HM
Erected and dedicated to the
memory of those of Dallas
County who fought and died in
two world wars that we may
retain our great heritage of
freedom, justice and democracy
World War I
April 6, 1917–November 11, 1918 . . . — — Map (db m82029) WM
This school was the city of Selma's first public high school for African-Americans. Completed in 1949, the school was named in honor of Richard Byron Hudson, a black educator who had served for 41 years as principal of Clark Elementary School, . . . — — Map (db m82741) HM
Redoubt No. 15 located just to the west of Summerfield Road was defended by Colonel Pinson's 1st Mississippi Cavalry Regiment of Anderson's Brigade. Their 400 men held positions on the west side of the road and the rest of . . . — — Map (db m81925) HM
At prominent positions, earthen forts were built with artillery in position to cover the ground over which an assault would have to be made.
Redoubt No. 24 anchored the City's defenses at the junction of Valley Creek & the . . . — — Map (db m83581) HM
Confederate Army Captain James White was ordered to relocate the old Federal Arsenal from Mt. Vernon, Alabama. By 1865 it consisted of 24 buildings and had over 500 workers including men, women, boys, girls, FMofC and slaves. It made or contracted . . . — — Map (db m82750) HM
This boulder marks the site of the Selma Navy Yard and the Ordnance Works destroyed by the Federals 1865This tablet is placed in honor of the memory
of hundreds of faithful men who made these
great works a base for war material for the
entire . . . — — Map (db m37688) HM
Patton, a member of Shockley's Escort Company of the University of Alabama, was killed in a clash with the 4th Iowa Cavalry at the corner of Washington Street and Alabama Avenue. In November 1865 his father, Robert Miller Patton, was elected the . . . — — Map (db m83587) HM
following the Battle of Selma, April 2, 1865. This occupation protected the hotel from the arson and looting in the first 24 hours that destroyed much of downtown. In the next week Wilson methodically burned the huge military/industrial complex that . . . — — Map (db m80792) HM
Side A The original church, built one block south of the present site, was consecrated in 1843 by Bishop Leonidas Polk. In 1861, the second Bishop of Alabama, the Rt. Rev. Richard H. Wilmer, was elected there. During the Battle of Selma, St. . . . — — Map (db m37691) HM
One of the finest examples of neo-classic architecture in the South; designed by Thomas Helm Lee for Edward T. Watts. Completed in 1853.
Sold 1864 to John M. Parkman,
1870 to Emile Gillman.
Purchased in 1957 through a bequest from Robert . . . — — Map (db m37649) HM
In January 1885, Dr. Edward M. Brawley, President, Alabama Baptist Normal and Theological School (now Selma University) formed Tabernacle Baptist Church to be an integral part of the students' Christian formation and education. . . . — — Map (db m82034) HM
Tabernacle Baptist Church was founded in 1885, and in March of that year, the congregation purchased this site. Built in 1922 under the leadership of Dr. David Vivian Jemison, the current church features bricks from the original . . . — — Map (db m83677) HM
Medal of Honor Citation
For distinguished gallantry and valor above and beyond
the call of duty as Commanding Officer of U. S. submarine
GROWLER (SS-215) during her fourth war patrol in the
Southwest Pacific from 10 January to 7 . . . — — Map (db m82036) HM
Side A The earliest Jewish settlers came to Selma prior to the Civil War, some as early as the 1830s. A group of Jewish citizens assembled as the Mishkan Israel Congregation and began meeting in private homes in 1867. The congregation was . . . — — Map (db m37677) HM
The major civil rights protest, which focused national attention on the issue of racial discrimination in voting & led to the passage of the Voting Rights Act of 1965, was centered in Selma.
In January . . . — — Map (db m37662) HM
Edgar Cayce (1877-1945), was internationally accepted as an extremely gifted psychic. An humble man, he never profited materially from his psychic ability, but used it to help “make manifest the love of God and man.” Operated his . . . — — Map (db m83680) HM
Soldier of France
Volunteer in the cause of
Guest of the Nation
Entertained in Selma
On his way to Cahaba
Placed by the Cherokee Chapter
Daughters of the American Revolution
June 14, . . . — — Map (db m37671) HM
The Lightening Brigade of the 2nd Division would spearhead the attack between Redoubts No. 13 - No. 16. Artillery covered all the approaches. At 5 p.m. General Long ordered the Second Division forward. "As Long's Second Division charged . . . — — Map (db m83682) HM
Established in 1816 by eight families from Rocky River Presbyterian Church in Mecklenburg County, North Carolina.
In 1859 this two-story brick building replaced original wooden structure.
Sanctuary and former slave gallery are on second . . . — — Map (db m83683) HM
Cast Aug 24, 1863 in Selma at the
Confederate Naval Gun Foundry under
direction of Commander Catesby ap R. Jones.
Was the first gun shipped from the Selma
Foundry. Served as stern pivot gun on the
Selma-built ironclad ram CSS . . . — — Map (db m37678) HM
Built c. 1859 by Henry H. Ware, this house exemplifies the picturesque eclecticism which dominated Alabama architecture after 1850. It mixes elements of the older neoclassicism with the newer Victorian trends.
Prominent owners through the years . . . — — Map (db m37675) HM
Selmas Water Avenue is one of the finest surviving examples of a 19th century riverfront street in the south. Located here are structures which reflect the architectural trends in commercial buildings from 1830 to 1900.
This was the main . . . — — Map (db m37669) HM
This Italianate style cottage was built in 1859 by C. B. and Martha Todd White. Mrs. White, half sister of Mrs. Abraham Lincoln, was an outspoken Southern patriot, who subjected the Lincolns to severe criticism, when the Northern press accused her . . . — — Map (db m38274) HM
Native Sampson County, North Carolina.
Admitted to bar, 1806.
North Carolina House of Commons 1807-1809.
U.S. Congressman 1811-16.
Secretary U.S. Legation Naples and St. Petersburg 1816-1818.
Moved to Dallas County, Alabama, 1818.
. . . — — Map (db m37654) HM
Established circa 1819 as Childers Meeting House on land given by George Childers. Patent for the land was issued to George Childers March 16, 1819. This Methodist Church was later known as Childers Chapel. Church burned in 1842. Congregation . . . — — Map (db m37646) HM
Congregation was organized as early as 1837, first under the charge of Charles McLeod and next, Asbury H. Shanks. Contract for the present building was let October 23, 1844, and the building was dedicated on October 5, 1845. Greenberry Garrett was . . . — — Map (db m37647) HM